PDA

View Full Version : Light bulb

Kat
06-05-2001, 10:31 PM
I attempted to change a light bulb in the dining room chandelier, and only the bulb part came out (the threaded part did not). Anybody know an easy way to get it out?

SmackFu
06-05-2001, 10:34 PM
I seem to recall some solution involved cutting a potato in half, sticking it on what's left of the bulb, and twisting. But that may have been if the bulb was broken rather than completely gone.

Turning off the power would be a good first step no matter what your plans.

catmandu42
06-05-2001, 10:37 PM
The potato thing works... just make sure the electricity is off before you do it! A safer way is to use a ball of clay to twist out the screw part of the broken bulb.

Mr. Blue Sky
06-06-2001, 06:30 AM
Again, power off! You could use a pair of needle nose pliers placed inside the base, spread out to the edges and twist.

GaryM
06-06-2001, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Blue Sky
Again, power off! You could use a pair of needle nose pliers placed inside the base, spread out to the edges and twist.

Again Power Off!You could also grab the upper edge of the metal bulb base and peel it away from the socket. A little peeling and you will have enough to grab with the pliers to unscrew the rest. A softened bar of soap will work as well as the potato mentioned by SmackFu.

Aghris
06-06-2001, 10:37 AM
How many Dopers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

We'll soon find out...

GaryM
06-06-2001, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Aghris
How many Dopers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

We'll soon find out...

It's UNSCREW... and the lightbulb has to really want to change...

Kat
06-06-2001, 11:21 PM
So, does anyone think I should turn the power off first?

I'll let you know what happens after I go out and get myself some needlenose pliers and some clay and soften up a bar of soap.

TheLoadedDog
06-07-2001, 07:56 AM
Make sure the power is ON! Using a crocodile clip, attach a long wire to your genitalia. Be sure to earth the other end solidly to the plumbing of your house. Just to be sure, fill a metal bucket with water and stand in it. Using bare, wet hands, just reach in and grab the sharp remains of the bulb. Let us know how it goes.

:D

Lumpy
06-07-2001, 12:41 PM
Someday we'll get all our light from flat solid-state panels, and our grandchildren will think a "light bulb" is that thing that appears over people's heads in cartoons when they get an idea.

friedo
06-07-2001, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Lumpy
our grandchildren will think a "light bulb" is that thing that appears over people's heads in cartoons when they get an idea.

Lumpy, dude, that is a lightbulb. What did you think it was, a turnip?

Lumpy
06-08-2001, 02:56 PM
I just meant that cartoons are the only place they'll have ever seen one. Along with dial telephones, phonographs, manual adding machines, and telegrams.