PDA

View Full Version : Whats buried under the Sphinx?

Inferno
06-06-2001, 11:46 PM
I heard on the news a long time ago that researchers had "x-rayed" the Sphinx in Egypt and found a chamber under its feet. Has anything else come from this discovery? Are they digging or going to dig? Whats the scoop?

Erroneous
06-07-2001, 12:15 AM
I can't believe I'm citing the same wack book in two consecutive posts less than 30 minutes apart (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=73420), but...you might want to read 'Secret Chamber' by Robert Bauval. Maybe I'm just too damn skeptical, but I was less than convinced that there's a chamber under the sphinx, after I'd read this book, although it does provide a well-written and succinct summary of the 'evidence' for such a chamber.

The 'x-ray' tests were actually sonar or something, carried out by a group either funded by or directly associated with the Edgar Cayce foundation. So there goes some credibility right there. Brief excavations didn't find any evidence of a chamber, though, and that's pretty much all the hard evidence that Bauval presents in the book - the rest of the evidence consists of very literal readings of ancient egyptian myths. But he maintains that all that's needed to find the sphinx chamber is another, closer look at the site. I dunno.

don't ask
06-07-2001, 12:42 AM
Jimmy Hoffa?

kniz
06-07-2001, 02:18 AM
DAMN

Una Persson
06-07-2001, 07:24 AM
From the soon to be released "Horror at Cecil Cove, Part 3"

"I could care less about recent history. What was under the Sphinx?"

Zotti froze, and set his teacup down hard. His face was very tight and his eyes were hard. Bodoni laughed, and said "Oh yes, everyone knows you found something - that door hadn't been opened for more than 30,000 years after all. I mean - that was an Ice Age or so ago, it tends to attract some interest. What did you find there?"

"I'm not at liberty to tell you."

"Oh, I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. Nobody here can keep any secrets from me. You tried to keep Innsmouth a secret, and look what happened. How many dead? How many of our people dead? And Ry'leh still exists - damaged, certainly, but not destroyed. And dead Cthulhu still waits dreaming. Face it Zotti - you failed!" She laughed again, and then stiffened as Zotti opened his desk drawer.

KneadToKnow
06-07-2001, 07:51 AM
It's sphinxter?

I know mine stays buried under me almost all day.

slortar
06-07-2001, 08:36 AM
The earth's core, natch. Oh, you mean IMMEDIATELY beneath the Sphinx? Dunno.

Ike Witt
06-07-2001, 09:56 AM
Al Capone's secret vault?

Shadowsabre
06-07-2001, 11:12 AM
The last guy who asked that question.

Ethilrist
06-07-2001, 12:02 PM
The biggest kitty chewtoy ever created.

yabob
06-07-2001, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by KneadToKnow
It's sphinxter?

I know mine stays buried under me almost all day.

"Sphinxter" ... heh, heh. Anyway, in that case, since The Sphinx has been sitting there for over 4500 years, I don't even want to THINK about what is immediately under THAT.

no1_squoog
06-07-2001, 03:05 PM
Maybe that's where his freakin' nose went. Somebody oughtta tell that guy.

of course, if you throw this into the "sphinxter" equation, I REALLY don't want to go there.