PDA

View Full Version : What flavor is bubblegum?

H8_2_W8
06-12-2001, 09:11 AM
Regular, standard, pink bubblegum. Is it its own flavor or is it a mixture of something else that we now know as "bublegum" flavor?

BTW, I searched but didn't find an answer.

hajario
06-12-2001, 09:45 AM
I think that the flavor of bubblegum is bubblegum. In South Korea they have a type of soda with that exact flavor. I don't remember the name for it but we used to call it Bubblegum Juice.

Haj

Running with Scissors
06-12-2001, 10:26 AM
What's the term for people who can't smell or taste? Flavor of bubble gum; No-flight zones (cont'd) (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/980327.html)

SCSimmons
06-12-2001, 11:13 AM
'Call it bubblegum flavor and let it go at that.' Lovely.

Undoubtedly, the Tops people didn't give details of the components of their 'fantasia blend' (a combination of flavors which yields a single, unique taste, in which the components cannot ordinarily be detected) because it's a trade secret. Try asking the Coca-Cola people what's in ingredient 7X and see if you get any farther. :)

(Citrus oils, cinnamon, and vanilla, BTW. That's the Coke-I don't have a clue what's in the bubble gum.)

bughunter
06-12-2001, 03:06 PM
Well, I'm not one to criticize the Master in his research techniques, but.... Asking the manufacturer, and no one else? No wonder he didn't turn up anything.

There's the distinct bite of salicylic acid in bubble gum. The same flavor is very pronounced in pepto bismol and the odor, very similar to the taste, is also present in some linament muscular pain releivers like Absorbine Jr. (along with menthol and camphor and other aromatics).

There is a lot of variation in the taste of different brands of bubble gum, but they all seem to contain a hint of salycylic acid, so perhaps that's the flavor you're thinking of.

Turpentine
06-12-2001, 03:20 PM
I asked this to a friend of mine and he came up with the perfect answer:

"Pink"

Bob Scene
06-13-2001, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by hajario
I think that the flavor of bubblegum is bubblegum. In South Korea they have a type of soda with that exact flavor. I don't remember the name for it but we used to call it Bubblegum Juice.

Haj

In Texas you can get a bubble-gum flavored soda called Big Red. I know a guy who drinks nothing but a mixture of Big Red, orange juice and vodka.

slortar
06-13-2001, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Bob Scene
Originally posted by hajario

Haj

In Texas you can get a bubble-gum flavored soda called Big Red. I know a guy who drinks nothing but a mixture of Big Red, orange juice and vodka.

...visions of hang-overs past flash through head...

Gunslinger
06-13-2001, 11:38 PM

I never thought of it as bubblegum-flavored. I don't chew gum very often, though...

Screw this. There's only one way to find out... ::adds Big Red and bubblegum to shopping list::

mblackwell
06-14-2001, 12:57 AM
Big Red is definately NOT bubblegum-flavored. Bubblegum tastes good, Big Red tastes worse than Vick's 44 cough syrup.

Bob Scene
06-15-2001, 02:56 PM
Well, I probably haven't tasted Big Red in 25 years, but as a child I sure thought it tasted like bubblegum. Maybe I'll go out and get some and see.

Montfort
06-15-2001, 05:36 PM
Isn't Big Red gum cinnamon flavoured?

straykat23
06-15-2001, 05:46 PM
Tastes just like chicken.

Patty O'Furniture
06-15-2001, 05:50 PM

Gunslinger
06-15-2001, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Montfort
Isn't Big Red gum cinnamon flavoured?
Yes, but the Big Red we're talking about is a red carbonated soda-pop-type drink made by the Dr Pepper/7up people.

Kalt
06-15-2001, 10:16 PM
big red is a cherry flavored soda. It's really nasty (in my opinion) and is sorta like carbonated water with a lot of grenadine.

As a side-bar, it is commonly thought of as primarily popular amongst african americans ... and when I first heard that I didn't believe it... but then i started to look around, and sure enough, the only people i could ever find drinking it were african-americans.

I am white, and I can't stand the stuff... never have liked it, probably never will.

There is a new "Red" Mountain Dew coming out soon... i am curious if it tastes like big red.

As for the OP, i recall reading something about this a long time ago, and it was described as a "fantasia blend" of various flavorings .. that when combined produce an entirely new flavor (cola is another fantasia blend). I cannot recall exactly what flavors were in there though. Pink does pretty much sum it up.

Johanna
06-16-2001, 03:10 AM
Both bubblegum and Coca-Cola use a "Secret Ingredient" in their flavoring that never occurs to most Americans because it's so "off the map" of American flavor concepts.

It's coriander (Coriandrum sativum). Mainly used as a spice in Indian curry cookery. If you leave it out of the blend, you will fail to get the familiar taste. Americans of yore were more familiar with coriander than they are now. Those old-time jawbreakers used to have a coriander seed at the center.

Bob Scene
06-17-2001, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by mblackwell
Big Red is definately NOT bubblegum-flavored. Bubblegum tastes good, Big Red tastes worse than Vick's 44 cough syrup.

Big Red definitely IS bubblegum-flavored. The review at BevNet (http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/bigred/index.asp) says so, and so does everyone I know who's ever tried it. Big Red is definitely not cherry-flavored.

Gunslinger
06-17-2001, 11:35 PM
IS bubblegum-flavored. The review at BevNet (http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/bigred/index.asp) says so, and so does everyone I know who's ever tried it.
[/B]
I've had a lot of it, and I'm of the opinion that it's more like grenadine than bubblegum.

zpeterson
10-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Bubblegum flavor is 1/5 part coriander flavor, 4/5 part banana flavor.

There. Mystery solved. 13 years later!

jtur88
10-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Bubblegum is an example of the very few flavors that were created without reference to any pre-existing natural flavor. I've always wondered, since there are so many "artificial" flavors, why it is not more common for completely new flavors to be created that did not exist in nature.

yabob
10-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Both the flavor and the pink color go back to Walter Diemer, who invented modern bubblegum (there were some prior formulations which didn't work as well) while working for Fleer in 1928. As an accountant. He was tinkering around attempting to improve the gum on his own time.

http://www.anb.org/articles/07/07-00839.html

Offhand, I can't find an account which says what he flavored it with, but the flavor was basically created because he liked it. And it was pink because if he didn't add food coloring, you got ugly gray bubbles. And the food coloring he had on hand was pink.

Exapno Mapcase
10-08-2014, 02:06 PM

If you stick around here, you'll see posts that say "Cite?" That's shorthand for asking for an authoritative source for statements that have none.

typoink
10-08-2014, 02:34 PM
If you stick around here, you'll see posts that say "Cite?" That's shorthand for asking for an authoritative source for statements that have none.

I will second a request for a cite, but I will say that does sound at least a bit plausible. Artificial banana flavoring has always reminded me a bit of bubblegum, and I could imagine a dose of coriander giving it the right twist.

Ike Witt
10-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Where is the best place to find bubblegum flavoured bubblegum? Bazooka has the bubblegum taste but is often hard to find and stale when I do see it. Bubble Yum doesn't really have the right flavour, or it is too weak.

janeslogin
10-08-2014, 05:44 PM
A "bubblegum flavor" is the taste of the unflavored gum, made from chemicals such as ethyl methylphenylglycidate, isoamyl acetate, fruit extracts and others, although the exact ingredients were kept a mystery to customers. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_gum)

pulykamell
10-08-2014, 05:46 PM
I will second a request for a cite, but I will say that does sound at least a bit plausible. Artificial banana flavoring has always reminded me a bit of bubblegum, and I could imagine a dose of coriander giving it the right twist.

Yeah, I've always assumed a health dose of banana/estery flavors. Banana, pineapple. hint of clove--that general range (homebrewers will know what I'm talking about.) I'd be surprised if it were as simple as 1/5 coriander, 4/5 banana, though.

usedtobe
10-08-2014, 11:31 PM
I both remember Big Red from childhood, and have about 6 2-litre bottles of the stuff.
I t does NOT taste like bubblegum. but if you try Red Vines (NOT the CRAP by Twizzler) by American Liquorice, you will notice a similarity.

Oswald Bastable
10-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Inca Cola tastes like bubble gun to me.

Inca Kola tastes like Irn Bru.

If that doesn't thrown a spanner, almost literally, in the works...

ETA: Sorry, didn't realise that chewing gum made zombies...

bump
10-09-2014, 08:47 AM
A "bubblegum flavor" is the taste of the unflavored gum, made from chemicals such as ethyl methylphenylglycidate, isoamyl acetate, fruit extracts and others, although the exact ingredients were kept a mystery to customers. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_gum)

Not that I'm directly disputing Wikipedia, but that doesn't stand up to a sniff test. Bubblegum and bubblegum flavor almost certainly long predates synthetic chicle, and there's no need for anything special for people to chew natural chicle, so why would they add stuff like fruit extracts and isoamyl acetate (banana flavor ester, FYI) if not to flavor it?

Also... to whoever said that there's a "bite" from salicylic acid, they're most likely meaning methyl salicylate (oil of wintergreen). And I've noticed that too in some varieties of bubble gum, but not all. I suspect that "bubble gum flavor" is one of those things that's like saying "cola" or "beer", where there's a sort of general flavor but a lot of variation and riffs upon a theme.

Here's one:
3 parts banana flavor 3 parts pineapple flavor 2 parts wintergreen, 1 part cinnamon and 1 part clove.

http://www.candyflavor.com/How_To_Make_Bubble_Gum_Flavor.html

Sparky812
10-09-2014, 10:36 AM

You forgot the 1/5 Brains!!

At least we know what the z stands for.

usedtobe
10-10-2014, 04:09 AM
For the Great Big Red Flavor Question:

There is a hardware store here - yes, a real hardware store - which likes to stock old-fashioned sodas in glass bottles next to the real popcorn maker.
Among the sodas is Big Red.
Then Wal-Mart moved in across the street and sells it in 12 oz cans and 2 liter plastic.

So - if you don't have a funky old hardware store, check your Wal-Mart.
Note: the difference between "regular" and "diet" is especially nasty in Big Red.