PDA

View Full Version : Why do women dress to expose their Belly Buttons?

handy
08-01-2001, 10:17 AM
I asked a guy why women wear shirts just short enough that they come just above or near their navel, exposing it or a couple of inches of skin. He said because they are crazy. So I asked a young lady the same question & she said because they are stupid. Im not content with those answers, does anyone have a better answer?

tiny ham
08-01-2001, 10:19 AM
The media has convinced me as of late that my belly button has some things to say, so I like to let her out every once in a while.

Also, I like to be poked there.

jarbaby

Ethilrist
08-01-2001, 10:20 AM
Because if done properly, perhaps in combination with a navel ring or tattoo (perhaps on the small of the back), this look has the power to cause men to walk into telephone poles. I've seen it happen...

Eve
08-01-2001, 10:21 AM
Well, I have been known to flash a glimpse of shapely ankle as I climb aboard the trolley. How the Sidewalk Shieks on 23rd Street love it!

Ukulele Ike
08-01-2001, 10:21 AM
It's an erogenous zone. They are hoping to attract a mate. Same reason they expose their cleavage and thighs.

AHunter3
08-01-2001, 10:22 AM
Mmmmm, tummies!

Jonathan Chance
08-01-2001, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Eve
Well, I have been known to flash a glimpse of shapely ankle as I climb aboard the trolley. How the Sidewalk Shieks on 23rd Street love it!

Eve, I'd walk barefoot over 3 miles of broken glass to see your shapely ankles.

Heck, I'd even vote for LaRouche, if that's what it takes.

On the OP. I don't care why they do it. I just appreciate it. I'm kinda uncomplicated that way.

BunnyGirl
08-01-2001, 10:35 AM
handy, I've yet to meet the man that doesn't like a little flash of navel from a tight, tan tummy. Not that he doesn't exist, just that I've never met him.

Even as a straight woman, I find it amazingly sexy.

BunnyGirl: 24 days 'till the Bellybutton Ring.

FairyChatMom
08-01-2001, 10:37 AM
lessee... mini skirts, hot pants, tube tops, bikinis, clingy fabrics...

gee, haven't a clue why anyone would wear such things.

Giraffe
08-01-2001, 11:24 AM
If I was a woman and/or had a belly button, I'd let it show. Belly buttons are uber-sexy!

08-01-2001, 11:53 AM
Handy, you're not complaining, are you? Cause if the whole belly-button-baring bonanza comes to a shrieking halt, I'm coming looking for you!

Poysyn
08-01-2001, 11:53 AM
I flash my bellybutton and have a belly button ring. I have received many compliments on it. I do it less in the winter Brrrr!

little*bit
08-01-2001, 11:58 AM
Considering the number of crunches I do to maintain presentable abs, I would consider it rude to keep them constantly covered (especially on a 90+ degree day like today).

zev_steinhardt
08-01-2001, 12:26 PM
So that their belly buttons will sing (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=79902). :D

Zev Steinhardt

Finagle
08-01-2001, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Eve

Well, Eve would have to show an ankle, lacking a belly button and all.

manhattan
08-01-2001, 01:27 PM
Why do women dress to expose their Belly Buttons?

Because God is good.

vix
08-01-2001, 01:35 PM
Uh, if you have to ask, the answer wouldn't interest you.

Kaotic Newtral
08-01-2001, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by jarbabyj

Also, I like to be poked there.

;) Anyway, my fiancee has a belly button ring. I love it. It's incredibly sexy. I guess when you think about it, if a woman has a belly button ring she's usually in pretty good shape. That part of a woman's body is just incredibly sexy to me......um, I gotta go now.

Palmyra
08-01-2001, 02:47 PM
Because I'm silly and own far too many t-shirts that fit fine across the chest, but just seem to be too short, stopping right under my ribs.

Of course, that's what I get for shopping in the little girls' section. :D

H8_2_W8
08-01-2001, 03:00 PM
Our culture equates youth and fitness with beauty and sexiness. Plus, throw in the appeal of self-confidence of those young women who know they look good and are willing to show it of a little.

Maybe people are a little jaded over big fake tits, and since flat tummies usually take some work to attain, they are prized for being relatively new sexy body part that is not fake (assuming any otherwise fit 20 year old wouldn't be a candidate for liposuction).

I dunno, just random theories waiting for the next Levi's Belly Button commericial to air.

Lsura
08-01-2001, 04:37 PM
According to my co-worker, who I hope has been cured of his little crush, it's the "sexiest part of a woman". :rolleyes:

That after I wore my new shirt for casual day-it's not an obvious exposure, or even purposeful, but I'm never wearing it to work again.

matt_mcl
08-01-2001, 05:03 PM
I can't say I have direct experience with the question, but under the assumption th the boys are doing it for the same reason the girls are, the answer would have to be to turn the boys who are after them into ravenous maniacs. Works on me. Especially if there's a piercing involved.

Totoro
08-01-2001, 05:24 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again, the belly button is the sexiest part of the body.

Max Torque
08-01-2001, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Eve

"Mister Silas! This woman is displaying her privates!" [/Simpsons]

08-01-2001, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Totoro
I've said it before, I'll say it again, the belly button is the sexiest part of the body.

Totoro, do you work with Lsura?

Waverly
08-01-2001, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Totoro

Not if it's an outie:eek:

Barbarian
08-02-2001, 07:55 AM
So the members of my horde know where to stick their thumbs when we hoist them lassies over our shoulders and run off with 'em.

RTFirefly
08-02-2001, 08:16 AM
I think I'll just second manhattan ("Because God is good.") and Jonathan Chance ("I don't care why they do it. I just appreciate it. I'm kinda uncomplicated that way."), because they've summed up my attitude quite well.

Mr. Duality
08-02-2001, 08:58 AM
Read in the Wall Street Journal a year ago that in Japan vertically oriented navels are popular. Women there are/were having plastic surgery to get vertical belly buttons. Now what do you suppose a vertical navel might resemble, hmmm?

The same story told of s here in the U.S. having their navels removed. Too weird for me.

Kiki
08-02-2001, 09:03 AM
After having two kids my tummy's not as tight as it used to be. :( I'm working on it though. Maybe after another million crunches I'll be able to get a belly button ring like I've always wanted. I think they're really sexy but only on tight flat tummies... not wiggley tummies.

Jman
08-02-2001, 09:12 AM
I have to say that a woman with a nice stomach who exposes her bellybutton can be very sexy. On the other hand, I find bellybutton rings to be a turn-off, not a turn-on. I'm kind of a no-frills kind of guy.

Jman

handy
08-02-2001, 09:41 AM
"Read in the Wall Street Journal a year ago that in Japan vertically oriented navels are popular.
Women there are/were having plastic surgery to get vertical belly buttons. Now what do you
suppose a vertical navel might resemble, hmmm?"

Yes, a long time ago women could not expose them because they were thought to symbolize a vagina. Times change though.

A vertical button would be cool though, kinda dangerous don't you think?

Danimal
08-02-2001, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Jman
I have to say that a woman with a nice stomach who exposes her bellybutton can be very sexy. On the other hand, I find bellybutton rings to be a turn-off, not a turn-on. I'm kind of a no-frills kind of guy.

Jman

Second you on both thoughts. Rings are a case of painting the lily if ever I saw one.

alice_in_wonderland
08-02-2001, 09:50 AM
Why, to show of my FABULOUS new belly button ring of course.

Its blue.

:)

Mort Furd
08-02-2001, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Barbarian
So the members of my horde know where to stick their thumbs when we hoist them lassies over our shoulders and run off with 'em.
Excpet for the ones who wear miniskirts without undergarments. THEY get thumbed in a different place.

Sengkelat
08-02-2001, 10:56 AM
My coworker wears a short shirt to avoid it rubbing against her new navel piercing. And also because she can more conveniently soak her piercing in saline...which gives her a strange ring around her navel.

Or, she could be making it all up, and actually got the belly button ring implanted to scare away persistent remoras.

Superdude
08-02-2001, 02:05 PM
My mother has no bellybutton. She had surgery a few years ago, and they sewed that lil sucker up when they stitched her up, too. I didn't know until about a year ago, when she showed me. Freaky.

BunnyGirl
08-02-2001, 02:14 PM
Her name wouldn't happen to be "Eve" not our Eve, would it?

Superdude
08-02-2001, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by BunnyGirl
Her name wouldn't happen to be "Eve" not our Eve, would it?

Hey, now. She's not THAT old. Old as in the original Eve, not ours. Okay, Kev, let's pull that foot out of your mouth. So, miss smarty-pants, to answer your question, no. Her name's Barbara. Or so she says. She DID lie about the whole Santa Claus thing, so all bets are off.

sjc
08-02-2001, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Duality
Read in the Wall Street Journal a year ago that in Japan vertically oriented navels are popular. Women there are/were having plastic surgery to get vertical belly buttons. Now what do you suppose a vertical navel might resemble, hmmm?

Hey wow, I have a vertical belly-button! I'm a guy though, so maybe it's not as sexy on me. I think it looks good anyway.

DAVEW0071
08-03-2001, 07:46 AM
Eve said:Well, I have been known to flash a glimpse of shapely ankle as I climb aboard the trolley. How the Sidewalk Shieks on 23rd Street love it!
Kudos for understanding that often what you don't show is far sexier than what you show!

I love my wife, but oh you kid! 23-Skidoo!

OTOH, I certainly appreciate glimpsing a cute li'l belly button now and then.

Rilchiam
08-04-2001, 06:55 PM
Dressing to expose the midriff is even more of a competitive thing than dressing to showcase breasts. Virtually no woman thinks her boobs are big enough, or if she does, she'll temper that by saying they're too low or not shaped well. Truth is, almost any set is attractive in its own way; just takes the right bra/shirt combo.

Tummies, OTOH, only look good exposed if they're tight and free of flab. A woman who exposes her midriff, and consequently her navel, is saying "I'm disciplined and strong, and I put a lot of time and effort into these abs. You just got lucky, or got a Wonderbra, so :p on you."

I was the envy of my middle school, and since then, many a locker room or swimming expedition. But I haven't exposed my navel, except in a swimsuit, in years. :(

Ferggie
08-04-2001, 11:54 PM
Hah! I know my breasts are plenty big enough! Good and round! The only problem is...the rest of my body matches.

No exposed bellybutton for me...

Shogun Haircut
08-05-2001, 12:00 AM
To give guys something else to stair at

08-05-2001, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Sengkelat
Or, she could be making it all up, and actually got the belly button ring implanted to scare away persistent remoras.

I smell band name!!! The Persisten Remoras!

Shame's Joys
08-05-2001, 08:17 PM
The exposed midriff looks to me like one more fashion trend the West has borrowed from India. Along with the backless blouse, the one-shouldered look (like a sari), and the mehndi craze.

Sometimes non-Indians wonder about the traditional costume of the Indian woman, the short blouse she wears under her sari that exposes her middle. Why is her bare belly revealed? It is not for sexy allure, but in honor of the fertility of her womb that bears children.

To show reverence to femininity and motherhood through the womb (yoni) is a very ancient Indian tradition; Tantra is one highly developed form of this reverence to the yoni. The tradition is not limited to Tantra, however, but diffused throughout the culture. To this day, when an Indian man greets and embraces his mother (or an older female relative equivalent to his mother), he presses his face into her belly to pay homage to the womb where his life began.

Searching For Truth
08-05-2001, 08:27 PM
Because they collect lint and stuff, they need to be aired out regularly.

:-D

Little Nemo
08-05-2001, 11:06 PM
People, we've got a lot of theories here about why women expose their bellybuttons but let's face the facts. Women began exposing their bellybuttons back in 1970 when the Venusians invaded with their army of cloned pod-women in an evil plot to collect all our Earth semen. The only way to tell the difference between a real Earth woman and a Venusian clone was because they had two bellybuttons and the fashion of exposing bellybuttons just caught on from there. Am I the only one who remembers this?

Am I?

Really?

Am I the only one who didn't listen to the warnings about bad acid at Woodstock?

kniz
08-05-2001, 11:42 PM
Because it is against the law to expose the others.

JadedNaive
08-06-2001, 12:17 AM
My high school didn't allow the belly butten to show. I think that technically, if you could lift your arms up high and any midriff showed, you were out of dress code. But then, there aren't a lot of women's shirts that pass, at least no that teenagers would wear. I hate dress codes. . .

AAR, I wish I had a flat enough tummy to show my belly button, but I don't have the time or discipline to do five hundred crunches a day. For a while in high school I tried doing a daily regimin of abdominal exercises, with marginal success, but I got discouraged by how scant the results for so much effort.

In short, women who bare their belly buttons are just good-for nothing showoffs! :p

GuanoLad
08-06-2001, 01:09 AM
They do it for me. MEEEEEEE!!!

And the reason it's sexy is because exposure of flesh that is normally kept covered is sexy.

fierra
08-06-2001, 08:46 AM
Una thinks it's hot & that's good enough for me... ;).

hardygrrl
08-06-2001, 10:40 AM
Like people have previously stated, it's to be cute and/or to show off hard work keeping their belly perfect.

I don't show mine off. I'm too flabby. Maybe someday when I've lost all the weight I want to and I have tight abs like that day will ever arrive without surgical intervention I'll think about it.