PDA

View Full Version : Does Bruce Willis owe money or something?

Quimby
07-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Because he is doing Nicolas Cage level terrible movies. I was paging through Netflix with a friend looking for something to watch and we settled on a movie called Vice. It turned out to be a Westworld rip off where there is a theme park with artificial people and real people go to commit crimes and act violent. We made it twenty minutes in and had to stop it. It sucked and Bruce Willis looked and sounded bored. I know Cage had money issues so he had to take every garbage script that came his way. Is Bruce Willis in a similar fix?

Trancephalic
07-02-2017, 02:54 PM
https://youtu.be/UHok1-SdTJ0

silenus
07-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Nobody has ever accused Bruce of being prudent, financially-astute, or forward-thinking. So yes, he is in a similar fix.

Asuka
07-02-2017, 03:16 PM
I heard from a trustworthy source that Willis is "Greedy and lazy".

samclem
07-02-2017, 03:35 PM
Willis is worth more than 90% of all actors. Just because he does movies that are less than stellar, doesn't mean squat about his finances.

Estimated net worth $180 million.

friedo
07-02-2017, 03:37 PM
It went straight to video and pulled an impressive 4% on Rotten Tomatoes. Not exactly Oscar-bait.

TriPolar
07-02-2017, 03:38 PM
He owes me $12 bucks and two hours of my life for Hudson Hawk tickets.

Flyer
07-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Willis is worth more than 90% of all actors. Just because he does movies that are less than stellar, doesn't mean squat about his finances.

1. I tend to be leery of claims like that from websites that don't reveal their sources or methodologies. Forbes, by contrast, is reasonably transparent about how they calculate their figures.

2. Even if that figure is correct, a large chunk is going to be tied up in capital assets, and possibly collectibles, jewelry, and so forth. There was a phenomenon in the Colonial South; "land-rich and cash-poor."

3. Over the centuries, a vast number of people have decided that they were rich enough that they couldn't possibly spend it all. Such people almost invariably turn out to be incorrect.

TriPolar
07-02-2017, 04:27 PM
1. I tend to be leery of claims like that from websites that don't reveal their sources or methodologies. Forbes, by contrast, is reasonably transparent about how they calculate their figures.

2. Even if that figure is correct, a large chunk is going to be tied up in capital assets, and possibly collectibles, jewelry, and so forth. There was a phenomenon in the Colonial South; "land-rich and cash-poor."

3. Over the centuries, a vast number of people have decided that they were rich enough that they couldn't possibly spend it all. Such people almost invariably turn out to be incorrect.

There's still no reason to think Bruce Willis is in financial trouble because he took a role in a bad movie. He's been in around 100 movies, very few of them have been stellar movies or performances, but he's kept on working steadily as many actors do because it's what they do. If he had a colossal financial collapse the way Cage did it would be news.

lisiate
07-02-2017, 04:56 PM

Actors who can pay the rent from acting alone are probably in the 90th percentile to be honest.

nightshadea
07-02-2017, 05:07 PM
actually cage and willis have the same type of careers ..... they do a bunch of low/no budget or "indie" type of stuff and then do a big movie or two every few years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Like cage himself said when he was accused of selling out when the rock and face/off was big
"doing con air the rock and face off lets you do movies like leaving las vegas or bringing out the dead that had almost no hope of making anything ever"

he originally thought leaving las vegas was just a prestiege movie that no one but critics and cinemaphiles would see ......

Junior Spaceman
07-02-2017, 05:11 PM
You do realise that actors don't get to see the finished movie before they sign up for it. Working actors get to choose their work from the movies that they're offered, and everybody's just hoping for the best when they make a movie.

RikWriter
07-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Michael Caine was in Jaws The Revenge. He famously said that he'd never seen it, but he'd seen the house it bought for him.

jayjay
07-02-2017, 05:31 PM
Michael Caine was in Jaws The Revenge. He famously said that he'd never seen it, but he'd seen the house it bought for him.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

Mahaloth
07-02-2017, 07:44 PM
I have gotten the feeling that for the most part, Willis has given up and is just doing cash jobs. I don't blame him. I assume they are paying well.

Die Hard 5 was so bad, I almost wonder if it soured him.

Then again, Kevin Smith says he was already a nightmare on Cop Out.

installLSC
07-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Counterpoint: how many actors not named James Dean or John Cazale have been able to avoid doing movies with horrible scripts/direction? If you're a working actor, sooner or later you're going to be cast in a real dog. If you only act in Oscar bait, you're not really going to have a career at all.

RikWriter
07-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Counterpoint: how many actors not named James Dean or John Cazale have been able to avoid doing movies with horrible scripts/direction?

Well, arguably, Daniel Day Lewis.

JKellyMap
07-03-2017, 04:36 AM
Well, arguably, Daniel Day Lewis.

Maybe that's why he recently retired. First time he felt a moment of temptation after being offered a part in an obvious dog..."That's it -- I'm outta here!"

msmith537
07-03-2017, 04:57 AM
I have gotten the feeling that for the most part, Willis has given up and is just doing cash jobs. I don't blame him. I assume they are paying well.

Die Hard 5 was so bad, I almost wonder if it soured him.

Then again, Kevin Smith says he was already a nightmare on Cop Out.

Not soured enough apparently.
http://collider.com/die-hard-year-one-bruce-willis-role-len-wiseman/

kayaker
07-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Maybe that's why he recently retired. First time he felt a moment of temptation after being offered a part in an obvious dog..."That's it -- I'm outta here!"

Actually, he didn't retire, he announced that he "retired". A trusted source says the announcement was strategic, and we will be seeing more from him.

ETA: discussing Daniel Day Lewis here.

astorian
07-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Maybe Willis is like Michael Caine- that is, he likes money and he likes working steadily, and will take practically any offer, rather than risk being idle and unpaid for months/years.

CarnalK
07-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Every prolific actor has a few "straight to video" projects under his belt. The difference now is that they aren't sitting in a dusty corner of the video rental place; they are at the top of Netflix's "just added" list.

Mr Shine
07-03-2017, 11:09 AM
He owes me $12 bucks and two hours of my life for Hudson Hawk tickets.

Why? For $12 you got to see one of the best movies ever. (With the possible exception of the first Die Hard, probably the best of Mr Willis's)

enalzi
07-03-2017, 11:12 AM
actually cage and willis have the same type of careers ..... they do a bunch of low/no budget or "indie" type of stuff and then do a big movie or two every few years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Like cage himself said when he was accused of selling out when the rock and face/off was big
"doing con air the rock and face off lets you do movies like leaving las vegas or bringing out the dead that had almost no hope of making anything ever"

he originally thought leaving las vegas was just a prestiege movie that no one but critics and cinemaphiles would see ......

This is my understand for Willis. He shows up to crap movies, does pretty much everything he can in a couple days, and then goes off to do the movies he really wants to do, like Moonrise Kingdom.

Gyrate
07-03-2017, 11:18 AM
He owes me $12 bucks and two hours of my life for Hudson Hawk tickets.Hudson Hawk was enjoyable kitsch. It's "Color of Night" I want my time back for.

ETA: And "Striking Distance".

Actually, he didn't retire, he announced that he "retired". A trusted source says the announcement was strategic, and we will be seeing more from him.

ETA: discussing Daniel Day Lewis here.These days I'm half expecting him to be announced as the new Doctor Who.

kayaker
07-03-2017, 11:21 AM
These days I'm half expecting him to be announced as the new Doctor Who.

Remember Joaquin Phoenix!:cool:

Quimby
07-03-2017, 12:04 PM
You do realise that actors don't get to see the finished movie before they sign up for it. Working actors get to choose their work from the movies that they're offered, and everybody's just hoping for the best when they make a movie.

FWIW my post was mostly tongue in cheek and a warning to not bother with the garbage heap (and apparently Bruce Willis napping opportunity) Vice but to your point I would say that Bruce Willis strikes me as an actor who has enough clout and power to not allow anything on screen he doesn't want to be assuming he cares enough about it. Actors of his stature normally can get a stamp of approval on the direction and have a pet writer that works on every script they do. Again, if he cared. Versus just having a boat payment to make as was the case here.

CarnalK
07-03-2017, 12:31 PM
FWIW my post was mostly tongue in cheek and a warning to not bother with the garbage heap (and apparently Bruce Willis napping opportunity) Vice but to your point I would say that Bruce Willis strikes me as an actor who has enough clout and power to not allow anything on screen he doesn't want to be assuming he cares enough about it. Actors of his stature normally can get a stamp of approval on the direction and have a pet writer that works on every script they do. Again, if he cared. Versus just having a boat payment to make as was the case here.

They normally get to tell the studio to banish a movie? Where do you get that idea? As I said above, lots of big actors have some straight to video movies.

Tom Tildrum
07-03-2017, 12:35 PM
2. Even if that figure is correct, a large chunk is going to be tied up in capital assets, and possibly collectibles, jewelry, and so forth.

Nicolas Cage, for instance, outbid Leonardo DiCaprio for a dinosaur skull, which he later had to forfeit to the Mongolian government.

Little Nemo
07-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Some actors know they're making bad movies but do it for the money. Nicolas Cage and Michael Caine fall in this category.

But what I've heard is that there are some actors who just don't have any taste. They can't tell the difference between a good movie and a bad movie. So they have no idea whether the movie they're making is any good until it's seen by an audience and critics. Bruce Willis is one of these. Sean Connery and Burt Reynolds are two others.

Quimby
07-03-2017, 01:52 PM
They normally get to tell the studio to banish a movie? Where do you get that idea? As I said above, lots of big actors have some straight to video movies.

No what I'm saying is there are some actors that are high enough on the food chain that if they are in a crap movie it's because they didn't care.

Elendil's Heir
07-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Nicolas Cage, for instance, outbid Leonardo DiCaprio for a dinosaur skull, which he later had to forfeit to the Mongolian government.
I hate it when that happens.

CarnalK
07-03-2017, 04:46 PM
No what I'm saying is there are some actors that are high enough on the food chain that if they are in a crap movie it's because they didn't care.

I don't think that's true. Actors usually have a different skill set and purpose than that requires. Is it really so obvious that Die Hard is going to be a fan favorite lone wolf action flick and Hudson Hawk is a going to be an unloved caper movie just from the script and attached director? How much of a salary you command isn't directly correlated with your success predictions. But humour me, which high food chain actor has never been in a crap movie?

Mahaloth
07-05-2017, 12:07 PM
This is not the six-pack Bruce Willis wanted or would be proud of. (https://imgur.com/O7FwE4u)

Happy Lendervedder
07-05-2017, 12:22 PM
He should just stick with making music.

Vinyl Turnip
07-05-2017, 01:47 PM
This is not the six-pack Bruce Willis wanted or would be proud of. (https://imgur.com/O7FwE4u)

Six Movies, One Expression!

Mahaloth
07-05-2017, 03:23 PM

He does appear in the movies, but he clearly does not pose for the posters. He just sells a stock photo. He spent one day taking 25+ serious looks and signs off on them being used when he agrees to do the movie.

Ike Witt
07-05-2017, 03:34 PM
Coming soon in a Death Wish (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1137450/) remake/ reboot.

Who wants to see this 💩?

sleestak
07-05-2017, 03:35 PM

Or, quite possibly, the movie idea looked good but the execution sucked. For example, the movie Vice has what looks like a decent plot (from reading Wikipedia). Brand new and exciting? Not really, but it could make a decent movie.

By the time the movie is shot and the money spent, the odds of killing it would probably be low. Better to release it and recoup some money, at least from the producers point of view.

Slee

Mahaloth
07-05-2017, 03:45 PM
By the way, that 6-pack included Hostage.

I liked that movie quite a bit, actually.

Elendil's Heir
07-05-2017, 04:21 PM
I laughed.

epbrown01
07-05-2017, 08:09 PM

There's a saying: "An actor acts." This means you take the role unless there's a very good reason to NOT take the role, like it will stop you getting other roles down the line. It's the philosophy that Michael Caine (and Ice-T) has used, and I have to say I agree with it. Working and getting paid is preferable to sitting around not getting paid, regardless of how much money you have. As long as the DTV stuff doesn't stop him getting bigger roles, why not? You might and up working for the next Tarantino early in his career. Most US actors worry too much about their "brand."

blindboyard
07-06-2017, 07:34 AM
By the way, that 6-pack included Hostage.

I liked that movie quite a bit, actually.

I seem to recall Cold Light of Day being ok, too.

Sigourney Weaver, Henry Cavil, Rosario Dawson, John Cusack, also in those movies.

Brucie has done a lot (http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/dvd-bluray/bruce-willis/41200/bruce-willis-examining-his-recent-straight-to-dvd-movies) of straight to DVD films, but that website has similar pages for Cage, Travolta, Denise Richards, John Cusack, Val Kilmer and other former big stars. Bruce is just getting old.

ftg
07-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Willis has a reputation for being very hard to work with. Just ask Kevin Smith.

Perhaps he isn't being given a lot of quality options to choose from.

CarnalK
07-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Willis has a reputation for being very hard to work with. Just ask Kevin Smith.

Kevin Smith is hard to work with too. You know, because he hasn't been in a noteable project for over a decade.