PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you eat the skin of kiwi?

krondys
07-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Many people give me horrified looks if they see me eat a kiwi- because I just eat the entire damn thing, without peeling it. I absolutely love the flavor of the kiwi skin, though, and it is probably my favorite part of the fruit!

This led me to wonder how many other people like the whole fruit versus only the flesh. Hence, the poll!

Greg Charles
07-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Oh, the fruit. That's a relief. Of course not. Do you eat orange rinds too?

Pleonast
07-13-2017, 11:21 AM
We don't eat kiwi here, but do eat a lot of chicken. It's a sometime topic of discussion about whether or not to eat the skin. Some like it because of the flavor. Some say the collagen is good for you. I don't like the texture, so I tend to peel it off unless it's really baked and crispy.

(Or maybe you mean the peel of a kiwifruit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwifruit) rather than the skin of a kiwi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi).)

pulykamell
07-13-2017, 11:23 AM
I have never heard of anyone eating the skin. So, no, here. I might have to try it just to see, though. But it's not like I come across very many kiwis these days. I mean, they're around, but I just remember a period maybe in the late 80s or early 90s where they seemed to be way more popular than now.

pulykamell
07-13-2017, 11:24 AM
We don't eat kiwi here, but do eat a lot of chicken. It's a sometime topic of discussion about whether or not to eat the skin. Some like it because of the flavor. Some say the collagen is good for you. I don't like the texture, so I tend to peel it off unless it's really baked and crispy.

(Or maybe you mean the peel of a kiwifruit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwifruit) rather than the skin of a kiwi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwi).)

Oh, man, as for chicken, for me, a crispy chicken skin is the best part of the chicken. Or, maybe I should say, the perfect complement to the chicken meat. That's why I love chicken wings so much--wonderful meat-to-skin ratio. That said, I'm not quite as enthused at flabby, boiled chicken skin. Or rubbery, slow-cooked chicken skin. Gotta be crisp.

Exapno Mapcase
07-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Sure. You smoke them and they get you high.

Wait. That's banana peels.

No. Not kiwi, not oranges, not bananas, not coconuts. Eat the skin of any of those and I'll give a look that will peel your kiwi.

Weisshund
07-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Yes.
If you uncover them for the last 10 minutes, it gets a nice crispy brown on top

DCnDC
07-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Yes. No one ever told me not to until my wife. I still do anyways.

pool
07-13-2017, 12:14 PM
Yes because as a child my grandmother told me if I ate the skin I'd grow hair on my chest. Didn't work very well I barely have any hair there.

Thudlow Boink
07-13-2017, 12:19 PM
It has never occurred to me to eat the skin, just as I've never eaten banana peels or orange rinds; but this thread motivated me to check, and apparently (according to the California Kiwifruit Commission (http://www.kiwifruit.org/about/faqs.aspx)) it's perfectly okay to do so.

krondys
07-13-2017, 12:21 PM
For those of you that don't, the skin tastes much like the skin of a plum (which I imagine you likely do eat, and if not, the world makes no sense to me...)

Darren Garrison
07-13-2017, 12:26 PM
I use a tiny spoon to scoop out the insides as the fruit rests in a kiwicup.

(ETA: Holy crap, I found a suitable image (http://maxpixel.freegreatpicture.com/static/photo/1x/Salt-Kiwi-Cup-Pepper-Saltzstreuer-Egg-Cups-471727.jpg) on Google.)

thelurkinghorror
07-13-2017, 01:11 PM
No, that's weird. But I do eat sunflower seed shells, only spitting if I eat too fast and the gunk just builds up. I guess there are people who spend 30 seconds on each one meticulously splitting the shell and spitting it out? Sounds like too much work. And I only eat them every few years.

MoonMoon
07-13-2017, 01:12 PM
<shudders> I don't even like peaches, because I don't like the fuzz, so I can't imagine eating kiwi skin. Actually, I can imagine it and it's squicking me out.

Tamerlane
07-13-2017, 01:24 PM
<shudders> I don't even like peaches, because I don't like the fuzz, so I can't imagine eating kiwi skin. Actually, I can imagine it and it's squicking me out.

This. I love peaches, but must peel them. The texture of that velvety skin just bugs the crap out of me in my mouth. Meanwhile while I won't eat unpeeled kiwi or peaches, I'll happily eat apple cores, orange rind, even whole Meyer lemons w/rind.

August West
07-13-2017, 01:27 PM
I haven't before, but I am certainly going to try it now that I've heard of it!

P.S. I eat orange peels. Not the whole thing, but a few bites.

kayaker
07-13-2017, 01:30 PM
I have tried eating the skin, after someone told me that it was edible. Once. Never again.

Typo Negative
07-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Yes. They actually have no flavor at all and they are edible. Removing the skin seems pointless.

But then, I eat the peanut with the shell on.

Darren Garrison
07-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Yes. They actually have no flavor at all and they are edible. Removing the skin seems pointless.

But then, I eat the peanut with the shell on.

Well I swallow whole coconuts!

FoieGrasIsEvil
07-13-2017, 03:40 PM
Urk! Kiwi skin? All that fur? No way.

Trancephalic
07-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Not since Lorde filed the restraining order.

Staggerlee
07-13-2017, 05:07 PM
I have the same abhorrence of tickling textures on foodstuffs - I only eat nectarines, not peaches, and can't eat doughnuts covered in sugar either. But with Kiwi fruit I just rub off the excess hair and find them fine when just stubbly. The skin gives a nice counterpoint to the otherwise overly sweet flesh.

clairobscur
07-13-2017, 05:09 PM
I answered "no", and your mention of the taste of the kiwi skin made me curious. Maybe I'll try one of these days.

ThelmaLou
07-13-2017, 06:10 PM
I answered yes, but with qualifications. If the kiwi is sliced crosswise, so that the skin is just a tiny strip around the outside, then I eat it. But I don't bite into a kiwi like you would an apple and eat the skin that way.

Apollyon
07-13-2017, 06:38 PM
Well, I've been known to chew on my fingernails and cuticles, does that count? :)

Don't like the furry / hairy skin on green kiwifruit (the older more traditional variety), but the rough skin on gold kiwifruit is OK on crosscut slices.

Baron Greenback
07-13-2017, 06:43 PM

(ETA: Holy crap, I found a suitable image (http://maxpixel.freegreatpicture.com/static/photo/1x/Salt-Kiwi-Cup-Pepper-Saltzstreuer-Egg-Cups-471727.jpg) on Google.)

Hahahaha, genuine lols.

To the OP: No, the skin is about as appetising as a badly shaven mouse pelt.

Lasciel
07-13-2017, 07:08 PM
Where's the "Oh god no that fuzzy texture is horrific" option?

I can barely manage mostly-washed-off peach fuzz. Ew Ew ew ew yuck. All prickly and fuzzy and stabby and ew. They either get scalped whole (admittedly a dicey proposition) or I cut them in slices and peel the rinds off before I eat the individual disks. The thick pith at the center is occasionally unpleasant also, when it's very fibrous and grainy, but I've never figured out if it's due to the kiwi being overripe or underripe.

manson1972
07-13-2017, 07:12 PM

This is awesome, nicely done!

trapezoidal jellyfish
07-13-2017, 11:51 PM
I voted yes. Even though I hardly ever eat kiwis, if I did, I would theoretically eat the skin. I actually like how it tastes, and the fuzz doesn't bother me that much.

Suburban Plankton
07-13-2017, 11:56 PM
Yes, of course. I eat them whole. Except for the hard bit where the stem attaches; that little section I toss.

Shagnasty
07-14-2017, 12:01 AM
I voted no but that may not be true. I haven't eaten kiwis in a while. I once ate so many of them that it screwed up my mouth for a couple of days.

That said, I probably would eat a whole one if someone suggested it. I love whole lemons including the rind. I don't bother to peel shrimp either. The shells have the spices and add crunch.

Darren Garrison
07-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Except for the hard bit where the stem attaches; that little section I toss.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. IIRC, isn't that part a hard wooden spike?

GuanoLad
07-14-2017, 08:04 AM
I don't eat them at all, but I voted the fourth choice because I am a New Zealander and appreciated the acknowledgement that it's supposed to be kiwifruit. Doggone it.

I have never known anyone to eat the skin. You just scoop it out. Like a soft boiled egg*.

*uh-oh

swampspruce
07-14-2017, 10:13 AM
<snip> with Kiwi fruit I just rub off the excess hair and find them fine when just stubbly. The skin gives a nice counterpoint to the otherwise overly sweet flesh.

This.

actualliberalnotoneofthose
07-14-2017, 11:12 AM
No, probably because I grew up preparing it in a restaurant and it was served peeled and sliced. Just never thought to try it. People give me looks when I eat an entire apple including the core and stem.

susan
07-14-2017, 11:41 AM
Not of the fuzzy commercial ones, but the tiny hardy types aren't fuzzy and I eat them whole.

salinqmind
07-14-2017, 01:12 PM
The fuzzy skin looks like it would be prickly, but I haven't found it to be onerous to eat. I prefer to eat it by scooping out the green with a spoon, like a boiled egg in an eggshell, one half at a time.

Biggirl
07-14-2017, 03:19 PM
Nope, but I do eat mango peel and apple cores.

notfrommensa
07-14-2017, 04:03 PM
Yes because as a child my grandmother told me if I ate the skin I'd grow hair on my chest. Didn't work very well I barely have any hair there.

My grandmother used to tell me that too. I then asked why she was eating it.

(That didn't go over very well)

Rhiannon8404
07-15-2017, 12:30 AM
I don't eat kiwi because I am allergic, when I was served it before discovering the allergy, it didn't have skin on.

Hari Seldon
07-16-2017, 02:04 AM
No, probably because I grew up preparing it in a restaurant and it was served peeled and sliced. Just never thought to try it. People give me looks when I eat an entire apple including the core and stem.

I can't chew the stem, but I do eat the whole core of apples, although I try not to chew the seeds since they will go through undigested. I love peaches fuzz and all (but not the pit) so maybe I will try kiwis whole. When we get a pumpkin, I like to roast the seeds and eat them with their husks.

thelurkinghorror
07-16-2017, 05:57 AM
Kiwis have stems? I mean besides the human Kiwis. I haven't found the fruits outside the grocery store.

anij
07-17-2017, 08:45 AM
I just wonder how Kiwi fruits look like in the US... It's all hairy and I can't imagine eating the peel... But I don't like the skin of peaches very much, too, because it feels like eating cottonwool....
Maybe I can brave to try it with a yellow kiwi... their peel is nice and smooth.

By the way... I get those looks when I eat an apple because only thing left to throw away is the stalk :D

TruCelt
07-17-2017, 09:25 AM
I voted no but that may not be true. I haven't eaten kiwis in a while. I once ate so many of them that it screwed up my mouth for a couple of days.

That said, I probably would eat a whole one if someone suggested it. I love whole lemons including the rind. I don't bother to peel shrimp either. The shells have the spices and add crunch.

I eat peanut shells, lemon and orange peels, and the occasional apple core, but shrimp shells? THAT is a new one, I'll admit. I've done it by accident a few times and couldn't have swallowed them on a bet.

Peach skins I'll rinse and rub under the water to remove the fuzz, then I can eat them. But I can't eat them fuzzy. I wonder if the same could be done with a kiwifruit? By the time the are ripe they are usually fairly squishy. But I'll try it next time and report back.

:confused:

Darren Garrison
07-17-2017, 09:28 AM
Kiwis have stems? I mean besides the human Kiwis. I haven't found the fruits outside the grocery store.
Yes, fruit tend not to form hovering unconnected in mid-air.

Annie-Xmas
07-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Yes. I eat the whole thing.

bordelond
07-17-2017, 10:35 AM
I answered yes, but with qualifications. If the kiwi is sliced crosswise, so that the skin is just a tiny strip around the outside, then I eat it. But I don't bite into a kiwi like you would an apple and eat the skin that way.

Same here. Kiwi rind isn't terrible to eat, but it doesn't add much to the experience. It's a lot more convenient, admittedly -- peeling kiwi fruits is a bit tricky.

DrCube
07-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Yes, of course. I eat them whole. Except for the hard bit where the stem attaches; that little section I toss.

This is how I do it, too. I find that the peel adds texture and tartness to the otherwise bland, sweet mush inside.

Oh, the fruit. That's a relief. Of course not. Do you eat orange rinds too?
Do you peel your grapes before eating them? Apples, peaches, plums, dates, cherries, strawberries, etc? Do you peel each individual blackberry or raspberry drupelet? :) Not every fruit needs to be peeled before eating.

I do find it interesting that kiwis seem to have the most controversy surrounding them. There's no general agreement that they be peeled, like bananas or oranges, or general acceptance for eating them peel and all, like apples.

Of course, there are people in this thread who peel their peaches (and not only before putting them in a pie or cobbler), which I find just as bizarre as people usually think I am for eating kiwi skins.

clairobscur
07-19-2017, 05:55 PM
I answered "no", and your mention of the taste of the kiwi skin made me curious. Maybe I'll try one of these days.

Tried, and I didn't find the skin had any particular taste.

madmonk28
07-19-2017, 08:01 PM
Sometimes. I find the bitter skin contrasts nicely with the sweet flesh.

BigT
07-21-2017, 06:17 PM
I've never tried it, because all the kiwifruit I get is always pre-sliced. I've never gotten it otherwise.

So I don't know for sure how to vote.