PDA

View Full Version : Any campanologists here [ringing changes]?

ThelmaLou
07-18-2017, 06:10 PM
I've only seen this kind of bell ringing or read about it in British murder mysteries. In those contexts, it seems to be a dangerous occupation, as at least one bell ringer gets bumped off per story. Usually thrown from the tower.

This article (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_ringing) makes it sound complicated. Has anyone here done this?

Trinopus
07-18-2017, 07:56 PM
I once wrote a nice computer program that played the changes for one particular kind of change-ringing. I would really like to see algorithms for more kinds, so I could whip up similar programs.

The article in the Britannica gives diagrams...but not really enough to expand into a full algorithm.

Meanwhile, only thing I can add is that I love listening to change-ringing! It has some of the joy of wind-chimes, but is much more logical in structure.

Ukulele Ike
07-18-2017, 09:13 PM
I read Dorthothy L. Sayers's The Nine Tailors about 35 years ago! Also Robert Aickman's incredibly spooky short story "Ringing the Changes."

I'd love to take part but so far, no one has asked me.

ThelmaLou
07-18-2017, 09:52 PM
I read Dorthothy L. Sayers's The Nine Tailors about 35 years ago! Also Robert Aickman's incredibly spooky short story "Ringing the Changes."

I'd love to take part but so far, no one has asked me.
Yes! I was thinking about Dorothy Sayers, too.

Mr Downtown
07-19-2017, 12:03 AM
I've never done it myself, but a friend was part of a change-ringing group at the University of Chicago for many years.