PDA

View Full Version : "Release the Hounds" on Netflix

DCnDC
07-21-2017, 01:32 PM
I found this last week. British horror game show. First two seasons available for Netflix streaming. Or, if you're in the UK, it's just on TV.

I've seen other rather laughable stabs at the horror-game-show genre, but this one I like. It's still ridiculous of course, but this one is not quite as cheesy as others I've seen (e.g. check out "Hellevator," also on Netflix; it's awful). Something about being in the woods at night that makes it somehow more... real. And then there's the dogs.

Before we get to that, I'll go over the format of the show:

Three contestants. They already know each other. They are driven into the woods, supposedly somewhere in Eastern Europe. They get out and are each provided with a bright red backpack. Then they meet the host, Reggie, who sends them on their way to the challenges, somewhere in the woods.

The goal of each challenge is to find a key that will unlock a case filled with a certain amount of cash. The first case has 3000, the second 6000, and the last 9000.
When the contestants reach each challenge, they are typically given minimal instructions. Once it's clear they've figured out what to do, a bell rings and the gate starts moving...

Oh yeah, the gate. There's this gate on tracks in the dog run. The dog run is 160m long, maybe 10m wide, with a wall and ladder, Reggie, and freedom at one end, and the hounds at the other. The gate starts out down by Reggie. When the bell rings, it starts moving back towards the hounds, and it stops when the contestants find a key. Wherever the gate is at that point is their lead distance on the dogs.

In the second season, they added a twist to the dog run. There's a box attached to the side of the gate with more cash in it, but to take it they have to sacrifice more lead distance, usually somewhere between 5 and 15 meters. It tends to be proportionate to how far of a lead they already have. Once the contestant is ready, handlers bring the dogs out and a voice says, "Release the hounds!" The gate goes up, the dogs are let loose, and the race is on.

From what I've seen, the minimum lead distance to escape the dogs is about 60m. The dogs are pretty fast; people have not made it from over 80m. The "hounds" appear to be German Shepherds and there are 5 or 6 of them. The contestants are provided black bite-resistant clothes and the dogs are clearly trained only to attack the red backpack.

Sorry if this seems like a pitch, but I like this show and I don't really have anything else going on today.

Anyone else seen this?

PapSett
07-21-2017, 03:26 PM
I've watched both seasons. It's a pretty fun show with a good amount of creepy. I rather enjoyed it.