PDA

View Full Version : Songs that scared you when you were young

okielady
08-23-2001, 08:50 PM
Okay, in the spirit of the scary characters thread, what songs frightened you as a child?

I already mentioned "The Big Chair" by Tears for Fears, due to the soundbytes from the movie Sybil.

"Echoes" by Pink Floyd, from the album Meddle. I must've been 3 or 4 at the time. I shared a room with both my sisters, one 5 years older than me and the other 15 years older than me. You can imagine the delight of a teenage girl having to share her room with not one, but TWO younger sisters. When she wanted us to vacate "her" room, she would play "Echoes" for us. Just the sight of the album cover would send us screaming from the room.

"One Night in Bangkok" by Murray Head. *insert embarrassed chuckle here* I liked this song, actually. Until the instrumental section. The flute (sounded like a flute anyway) always brought mental pictures of the half man / half goat thing that played the flute (I've been told many times what the creature actually is, but apparently I would rather block it out, because I never can remember.) I could see this thing, which to my preteen mind much resembled a demon, dancing around, playing the flute, and plotting my demise.

So now I've started my first thread. *patting myself on the back*

Hugh Jass
08-23-2001, 08:56 PM
Good idea for a thread.
American Pie by Don McLean freaked me out when I was young. The lyric "This'll be the die that I die." always scared me.

pesch
08-23-2001, 09:01 PM
Easy for me: "D.O.A." which describes an auto accident and the singer's death.

Alice Cooper's "Welcome to My Nightmare," especially "Only Women Bleed" and "Cold Ethel." Now that I'm older, I'm not scared by it, but I'm really impressed by A.C.'s songwriting. It takes talent to write couplets like "If I live to / 97 / You'll still be waiting in refrigerator heaven / You're cool / You're nice / Cold Ethel You're my Paradise"

"All the Young Girls Love Alice" and "This Song Has No Title" from Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" double-album. Not too scary, but rather disturbing images for a teen like me. Still a cool album, though.

okielady
08-23-2001, 09:18 PM
Leader of the Pack scared me when I was little. I'm not sure WHY, aside from the fact that it was about a person dying in a motorcycle crash. I suppose that would be disturbing for a young child. And for some odd reason I associate it with haunted houses. :confused: No one said I was a *normal* child...

Sylkyn
08-23-2001, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by pesch

Hey, if I heard "D.O.A." now, I'd break my neck to turn the damn radio off.

Just like I did every time that nightmare came on back in the day when it was new. I hate that song. I'll never understand how it ever got to be popular. ::shivers::

AHunter3
08-23-2001, 10:04 PM
Life
Is flowing from my body
Pain
Is flowing out with my blood
The sheets
Are red and moist where I'm lying
God in heaven teach me how to die

::cue the sirens::

Lamia
08-23-2001, 10:19 PM
I was scared by "Hotel California". I thought it was about a horrible haunted hotel and that if you went there you'd never be able to leave and you'd turn into a ghost. Oddly, I also liked the song as a child even though it scared me.

Mudshark
08-24-2001, 02:26 AM
I used to be scared of Helter Skelter by The Beatles. The first time I heard the song was in a documentary about the Manson murders. Every time I would hear the song on the radio, I would see bloody writing. But I was about three then.

screech-owl
08-24-2001, 06:02 AM
"John Henry" and "Casey Jones" (the folk songs).

Not just because the guys died in the songs pretty dramatically, but also I had relatives who worked on the railroad and in the coal mines (the mountains, just like where John Henry had to cut a path through), and my father used a hammer a lot.

Still dredges up bad times.

lawoot
08-24-2001, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by SilkyThreat
Originally posted by pesch

Just like I did every time that nightmare came on back in the day when it was new. I hate that song. I'll never understand how it ever got to be popular. ::shivers::

Wasn't this song named the worst rock and roll song of all time by Dr Demento?

My sister used to run out of the room whenever the theme song from Perry Mason came on.

Sylkyn
08-24-2001, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by lawoot

My sister used to run out of the room whenever the theme song from Perry Mason came on. [/B]

Oh my God! That is too funny and coincidental! My best friend used to do the same thing when that theme song came on. When I was off work after having a baby, he'd come over to have a cup of coffee and would turn the channel when Perry Mason came on.

It was really hilarious considering he was in his late twenties at the time.

Gundy
08-24-2001, 07:51 AM
"Dust in the Wind". I hated thinking about death when I was a kid, and this one made me cry.

Come to think of it, I still don't like listening to it.

RealityChuck
08-24-2001, 07:53 AM
Wasn't this song named the worst rock and roll song of all time by Dr Demento?

If it was, the Dr. shows great perception.

Jane D'oh!
08-24-2001, 08:48 AM
My younger brother and I would put Iron Man by Black Sabbath on the record player (yikes!) and chase my nephew around the house pretending to be a big iron monster. Yep, my nephew, now 25 still can't laugh about that.

We were a good aunt and uncle to that only child, doncha think?

Myron Van Horowitzski
08-24-2001, 09:01 AM
This song always gave me the willies; I thought it was about a ghost:

My bonnie lies over the ocean
My bonnie lies over the sea
My bonnie lies over the ocean
O bring back my bonnie to me.

Eeewww! I thought they were saying "body".

What an idiot.

clayton_e
08-24-2001, 09:16 AM
congrats on the thread, if you look in my profile, I've started some strange ones over time. Well, on the thread topic, anything by Michel Jackson scared the shit out of me.

jellen92
08-24-2001, 09:18 AM
"I Always Feel Like Somebody's watching Me" - Michael Jackson and someone else I believe?! Made me paranoid as a kid....

Tabithina
08-24-2001, 09:34 AM
The song that struck the most terror into my young heart was The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia. This song was on the radio virtually every time my family went somewhere in the car, for months. My imagination would be busied with images of an innocent man swinging from the gallows, and a judge going home to his supper with bloodstained hands.

And then, there's Angie Baby (http://members.tripod.com/~Ladymafia/ml-458.html) :eek:

finnofranco
08-24-2001, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by jellen92
"I Always Feel Like Somebody's watching Me" - Michael Jackson and someone else I believe?! Made me paranoid as a kid....

I think that it was Maxwell who did this song.
I have to agree with Hugh Jass about 'American Pie'. I loved it, but the idea that it was a song about death sort of freaked me out.

Wildest Bill
08-24-2001, 09:45 AM
OF course DOA. Then another one was "Careful With That Axe Eugenene". The dude said that line and the beginning of the song and the rest the song was just slasher and terrifying screams. ::shudder::

okielady
08-24-2001, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Tabithina
And then, there's Angie Baby (http://members.tripod.com/~Ladymafia/ml-458.html) :eek:

My sister and I were talking about this song a few months ago. I need to hear it again to remember it, but she remembers EVERY SINGLE WORD. It was weird, that's for sure. Creepy!

poohpah chalupa
08-24-2001, 10:14 AM
Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield. Theme music from the film "The Exorcist."

Timothy by the Buoys. This was about a group of miners trapped, cold and hungry, in a collapsed mine. When they were dug out, one of the guys, Timothy, was missing.
...the question was: did they eat him?
Not scary, but absolutely creepy.

Hamadryad
08-24-2001, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by finnofranco
Originally posted by jellen92

I think that it was Maxwell who did this song.
I have to agree with Hugh Jass about 'American Pie'. I loved it, but the idea that it was a song about death sort of freaked me out.

I can't think of a song that scared me, but I have to mention that "Somebody's Watching Me" was by Rockwell, with background vocals by Michael Jackson...and did y'all know that Rockwell is actually Berry Gordy's son?

</hijack>

finnofranco
08-24-2001, 10:25 AM
Thanks Hamadryad. I thought about it after I sent off my reply, but I just couldn't get Maxwell out of my head.

Legomancer
08-24-2001, 10:31 AM
I'll second "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia". That one creeped me out.
My sister played me the alleged "I buried Paul" part of "Strawberry Fields Forever" and I wasn't the same for months. I was also young when the rumor about "Rollercoaster of Love" was around (the scream in the backgroud is a woman being murdered that was picked up on the mic) so that creeped me out. I'm sure there were others - I spooked easily.

Jet Jaguar
08-24-2001, 10:47 AM
Not the entire song, but that psychedelic bit in the middle of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" terrified me. When I was growing up (in the Detroit area), one of the local independent stations (channel 50 - I believe they're the Fox affiliate now) would show cheesy horror and monster movies every Saturday. They called it the "Creature Double Feature" or something like that. Anyway, they used that bit as their theme music, and played it in the bumper going to/coming back from commercials. It terrified me so much, I would actually run out of the room and wait out the commercials.

To this day, that part of the song still creeps me out a little bit...

plasticbryan
08-24-2001, 11:00 AM
I will second Hotel California, it was just plain creepy. But, the song that still gives me the willies (and I'm in my mid 30s) is The Doors "Riders on The Storm". The music and rain in the beginning of the song, then the thought of a killer on the road is bad enough, but the truly terrifying part for me was the idea of his brain squirming like a toad.
::shudder::

Legomancer
08-24-2001, 11:02 AM
I just thought of another one: "Dark Lady", I think by Cher.

lolagranola
08-24-2001, 11:12 AM
I didn't have any songs that scared me, but a band. My parents were very religious, and I think I misunderstood some comments I heard about the band KISS. The first time I saw them, I was convinced that they were demons from the pit of hell. And anyone who liked them must be Satan worshippers.

And, of course, the Thriller video was a little too creepy for me. The song freaked me out a little too.

Turpentine
08-24-2001, 12:42 PM
When I was 18, I was scared by Pinion by Nine Inch Nails. I couldn't listen to it alone.

Further back, I remember being terrified by the theme song from the Electric Company, especially the woman screaming in the beginning.

I was always creeped out by "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" because of the lines "He sees you when you're sleeping/He knows when you're awake"

I was delighted years later when I found that Calvin shared my sentiments :" Santa Claus- Kindly old elf or CIA spook?"

DeskMonkey
08-24-2001, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Legomancer
I just thought of another one: "Dark Lady", I think by Cher.

This was my FAVORITE when I was about 3 or 4!! I was hypnotized by how evil and scary it was. I used to play the 45 over and over and over on my little portable record player. My dad said that because I listened to it so much, he once called me "Dark Lady". Apparently I wouldn't talk to him for the rest of the day because she was such an awful woman. She deserved to be shot by Cher!

That "Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin" song by Steve Miller used to scare the bejeezus out of me. There was also a spooky song about James Dean called "Rock On" or something which frightened me so much, I was actually afraid to touch the radio to turn it off.

Thudlow Boink
08-24-2001, 01:54 PM
"Killing me softly with his song..."
Creeped me out because I took it literally.

Poysyn
08-24-2001, 02:36 PM
The beginning to "You Took the Words Right Outta My Mouth" by Meatloaf.

On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf of the red roses?

The end of Michael Jackson's "Thriller"

That older song, "They're coming to take you away"

PolishSausage
08-24-2001, 02:38 PM
'There Coming to Take Me Away' - by some sick SOB. Scared the poop out of me when I was little. And to a lesser degree, 'Tiptoe Through the Tulips' - by Tiny Tim. His voice, let alone his appearance, was creepy.

I was also freeked by any of the Beatles backwards stuff.

~t

PolishSausage
08-24-2001, 02:40 PM
Kick ass, Poysyn! Posted the same at the same time.

Stoid
08-24-2001, 03:01 PM
House of the Rising Sun Just creepy.

Moon River The soundtrack to a horrifying nightmare I had repeatedly when I was 6 years old. It was the year my parents separated and I had this dream where they were being sucked into a vortex and a bunch of black-jacketed hoods were standing around laughing while Moon River played in the background. Can't stand that song to this day.

stoid

Balance
08-24-2001, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Turpentine
I was always creeped out by "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" because of the lines "He sees you when you're sleeping/He knows when you're awake"

I was delighted years later when I found that Calvin shared my sentiments :" Santa Claus- Kindly old elf or CIA spook?"

Do you read Sluggy Freelance, Turp? You might appreciate this strip (http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=000827). :D

I can't think of any songs that really creeped me out as a kid. I feel deprived, somehow.

scout1222
08-24-2001, 05:24 PM
"Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues. Just sounded kind of eerie to me.

Now I kinda like it.

Beadalin
08-24-2001, 05:33 PM
I have to third "Hotel California." You can check in any time you want, but you can never leave[i]? Nooo!

"I Put a Spell On You" by Screamin' Jay Hawkins. That man's voice is just scary, and I hated the idea of being magically bound to him against my will. Ew.

"Mother" by the Police.

This one is really ridiculous, but there was one song in the movie [i]Labyrinth that creeped me out at 13 and still does: "Chilly Down". I have the soundtrack to the movie and have to skip that song every time.

Beadalin
08-24-2001, 05:37 PM
/i
Damn.

Biggirl
08-24-2001, 06:41 PM
The Sycopated Clock. It was the theme to the Late, Late Movie when I was about 7. The song still gives me the willies.

monster
08-24-2001, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Stoid

When I was about 8 or 9 years old, I was spending the night with a friend who lived across the street. After we went to bed, her dad stayed up and was drinking. He had this record and played this song over and over. I thought I was going to go insane. Finally, after about the 10th time (no joke!), I got up, and went home. So, yes, this song always creeps me out.

My other pick is "You Might Think" by The Cars. I think I was about 12 years old, and I listened to my alarm clock/sleep timer before going to bed. I remember this song coming on and the part where the music stops and it goes, "But you kept it going, till the sun went down. <Bump> You kept it...going." I turned my radio off because it creeped me out so much.

dakota
08-24-2001, 07:25 PM
"Got my mind set on you" by George Harrison. That video would scare any 6 year old. =)

peewee_RotA
08-24-2001, 07:32 PM
That song by that partdrige kid "I think I love you"

It jsut starts out so slow and is such a dark tune.. Oh well I got a weird Childhood

lawoot
08-24-2001, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by PolishSausage
'There Coming to Take Me Away' - by some sick SOB. Scared the poop out of me when I was little.

Ahhh... Napoleon XIV Truly a classic.

Infovore
08-24-2001, 10:19 PM
For me it was "Sheep" by Pink Floyd, from the "Animals" CD.
When I was a kid my mom used to watch those horrible religious shows, and one of them had a rock expose' about things like Floyd, "Hotel California," "Stairway to Heaven," etc. For the longest time the synthesized voice doing its own version of the Lord's Prayer creeped me out.

The song still creeps me a bit, but now I like it.

DPWhite
08-24-2001, 10:35 PM
Harry Chapin's "Cats in the Cradle" was so morbidly morose that I couldn't stand to listen to it. AC/DC and "Highway to Hell" seemed a lightweight parody

Duck Duck Goose
08-24-2001, 10:47 PM
Heh. I read this thread title and immediately I started hearing, "We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun..." in that whiny nasal tenor voice...

It's just so... morbid. "Goodbye, my friend, it's hard to die..." And although in 1974 I wasn't exactly a kid, still I was a "old teen", and I still was completely creeped out every time I heard it on the radio.

http://www.clinton.net/~sammy/seasons.htm

This website is going to play a Casio instrumental version for you and you can sing along with the lyrics. No bouncing ball, though. :(

seriousart
08-24-2001, 10:48 PM
Girl Land and Boy Land by Marlo Thomas wigged me all the hell out as a kid. I had many reoccuring nightmares over this freaky-ass song.
Imagine a evil clown singing over merry-go-round music. That's how I remember this song.

See you in Hell, Ms Thomas.

Biggirl
08-24-2001, 10:48 PM
Everyone who knows The Syncopated Clock says I'm crazy for thinking that it's creepy. They all say it's a fun song. Ha! I say from under my covers. There's a sample of it here: http://www.molenaar.com/general/article/mp3/03214405.mp3 Is this song not scary?

Oh, and how could I forget the song that terrorized me during my pre-school years,

[i]The worms go in, the worms go out
through your stomach and out your mouth. . .

racinchikki
08-24-2001, 11:02 PM
Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. My older sister's room shared a thin hardboard wall with mine, and one of her speakers was right against this wall near the headboard of my bed. I'd just be trying to sleep and I'd hear this voice saying Hello? [echo] Is there anybody in there? and it would scare me muchly.

Nocturne
08-24-2001, 11:48 PM
I wasn't young when I first heard it, but I will NOT listen to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album alone.

"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" by the Beatles creeped me out when I was younger.

screech-owl
08-25-2001, 01:14 PM
Vincent (http://www.xs4all.nl/~verhelst/lyrics/vincent.html) by Don McLean. Creepy and depressing. It wasn't until sophomore year in college that I finally figured out the song was about Vincent van Gogh, not a tribute by DMcL to a family member. Still creepy.

The Bitterdrunk Kid
08-25-2001, 01:28 PM
Revolution #9 by the Beatles. Just because it's so wierd. Backwards music still gives me the creeps for some reason.

bluecanary
08-25-2001, 03:41 PM
Creepiest song I remember...

And When I Die by Blood Sweat and Tears

We had it on an old Dolby Hits Collection tape.

Larry Mudd
08-26-2001, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Wildest Bill
OF course DOA. Then another one was "Careful With That Axe Eugenene". The dude said that line and the beginning of the song and the rest the song was just slasher and terrifying screams. ::shudder::

At the beginning of the song? That's not the way I remember it. I seem to remember about 20 minutes of soothing noodling to lull you into a false sense of security and put you into a sort of twilight zone between waking and sleep, and then the ultraviolence.

First time I heard it, I was about 14, and I had to change my shorts.

Sylkyn
08-26-2001, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Stoid

You said it, sister. Wanna hear even creepier? When I was a kid, our church choir director had us sing the words to Amazing Grace to that tune.

Talk about weird....

Sounds cool, though.

Legomancer
08-26-2001, 03:41 PM
I downloaded a few of these last night, especially the ones I remember, such as "Dark Lady," "The Night the Lights...," and "Angie Baby."

It's really funny that these were so scary, because they're mostly silly. "Dark Lady," which gave me the heebiest of jeebies as a kid is just GOOFY!

rowrrbazzle
08-26-2001, 08:09 PM
Dies Irae :D

"Good Night" from the Beatles' "White Album". So overly nice that it's creepy. Almost "Sleep so well you'll never wake up."

From "Abbey Road":
"Come Together"
"I Want You (She's So Heavy)" - the way it just abruptly stops is weird.

Zebra
08-26-2001, 09:13 PM
Wild Fire and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

I didn't run screaming from the room but if heard them at night I would let my imagination run wild. (I kind of enjoy being scared so it was kind of fun)

kiz
08-26-2001, 10:47 PM
For me, it was the theme song of the old Lloyd Bridges series "Sea Hunt" (I was about 3-4 years old at the time). Every time the show started, I'd run screaming from the room because I thought some weird ocean creature would come out of the TV set and grab me!

The other piece which scared me to tears was "Swan Lake", which was occasionally played on "Captain Kangaroo". It was so beautiful and so sad-sounding that I'd sit there practically inconsolable...

Ferggie
08-26-2001, 11:42 PM
Odd...I've never been scared by songs...pop or rock songs anyway. Though the right instrumental music can send me shivering. The Twilight Zone theme used to get to me as a kid, come to think of it. And the Alfred Hitchcock theme, too, especially after I learned it was called "Funeral March of the Marionettes." *shiver* Puppets are creepy.

I did want to add that the creature okielady refered to in the OP is a satyr, or, as a friend and I called it in song:

Pan, Pan, the Greek god Pan,
One half goat and the other half man.

If satyrs creep you out, think of fauns instead. Look the same, but less lecherous. Think Mr. Tumnus from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. He was a nice guy.

Mann Slaughter
08-27-2001, 03:15 AM
It's a song by "Kraftwerk", but I'm unsure whether it was "Computer World" or "Numbers" since they both wound down to the same beat.
What I remembered was that at the very end of the song, for about 2 minutes, you got what sounded like a group of people whispering, but with their voices being run backward.
I'm sure some people are asking:

"What's so scary about that?"

Well, for years before and after that song came out, I was having a recurring nightmare which consisted of a disembodied group of voices...

whispering, with their voices being run backward!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Spooky
08-27-2001, 03:28 AM
Oh, my God, you people are so funny! Almost every one of the songs you have all mentioned have either creeped me out or stayed with me through all these years in a WEIRD WAY.

My first thought was "Iron Man". God, I love Sabbath, but that voice freaks me out!

Isn't music wonderful? Love, Spooky

Badtz Maru
08-27-2001, 03:47 AM
The Dr. Who theme music and Ghost Riders in the Sky.

Politzania
08-27-2001, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Jet Jaguar
[B]Not the entire song, but that psychedelic bit in the middle of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" terrified me. B]

Oooh! Oooh! Me too! And the part where Robert Plant sounds like he's in a hole - you just KNOW the monsters are going to get him!

Had to hear this umpteen times as a child - often late at night in the back seat of the car, 8 track player fading out & back in dramatically...

Of course the second hand pot smoke may have had something to do with my paranoid take on the song...

lieu
08-27-2001, 12:34 PM
Was it Janice Ian that did that song "At Seventeen"? Being a socially active guy in junior high at the time, I was fearful that someday I'd become either jaded or unsymphatetic to the fact that there were others out there not as fortunate or happy-go-lucky as I. I still think it's a good thing to be mindful of and hope I've always met the challenge.

caveman
08-27-2001, 01:01 PM
For reasons I cannot fathom, Elvis' pseudo-operatic "Its Now or Never" creeped me out to the point of tears back in the day...on country radio, no less.

sidle
08-29-2001, 12:11 PM
Any organ music, especially the Phantom of the Opera bit,
did and still freaks me out. I dont understand why churches
have organs.
This is the End by the Doors.
Riders on the Storm, too, "there's a killer on the road,
his brain is squirmy like a toad..."
Also-The Pina Colada song. I SWEAR some DJ said it was
about people who got stuck in a cave and had to eventually
eat human flesh to survive. Dont know WHERE I got this idea.
Now, of course, I still find the song scary. For an entirely
different reason. :)

lieu
08-29-2001, 12:27 PM
Fortunately I was at least in jr. high when I first heard Inna Godda da Veeda (sp?) or it would have wacked me, especially in the middle during that brief screetching part. There was a movie that predated Silence of the Lambs but also had a creepy guy that ate people... (ah - Manhunter?) and during the creshendoed finale this was being blasted so nobody could hear the victim's screams.

Olentzero
08-29-2001, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Biggirl
The Sycopated Clock.

Oi, Biggirl, have I got an album (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000023AV/qid=999110017/sr=1-1/ref=sc_m_1/103-0176978-4515836) for YOU! :D

I can't think of anything original to add, but I will second the theme from Doctor Who, especially from the Tom Baker years. Creeped me out something awful.

Pushkin
08-29-2001, 02:02 PM
Deng a deng,
a deng a deng,
adeng a deng,
a dengeda dengeda,
deng a deng,
ooo eee ooo....

People who've watched it will know what I'm drivelling about. It had a total synthesied score. Both the title music and incidental music added so much to the prog that even without an appearance from the Daleks or Cybermen it still had me racing for behind the sofa. Really.

occ
08-29-2001, 02:31 PM
I'm gonne give a big "ditto" on a bunch of these, especially instrumental ones. The theme to Alfred Hitchcock Presents was definitely scary...the song sounds like evil laughter, plus you've got Hitchcock out there being his solemn, yet darkly-humored self to add to it all.

House of the Rising Sun is pretty eerie. It's now one of my favorite songs.

Theme songs from "Sightings" and "Unsolved Mysteries". I bet the X-Files theme does the same thing to kids today, since its in the same vein.

Poysyn
08-29-2001, 03:35 PM
The beginning of "Lunatic Fringe" I actually caught it not that long ago on the radio and I was driving, alone, at night on a highway.

I am such a wimp, I give myself the heebie-jeebies at the drop of a hat.

Ukulele Ike
08-29-2001, 03:35 PM
The whole "Paul is Dead" thing happened when I was 8 years old. AND I had a sister in college in Michigan, where the whole rumor supposedly started. So the whole creepy thing was really pushed down my throat.

I was completely unable to listen to any post-RUBBER SOUL Beatles music until I was about 13.

"Ode to Billie Joe" was pretty bad, too...was that a BABY they were throwing off the bridge?

curwin
08-30-2001, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Beadalin

"Mother" by the Police.

I was waiting to see if someone posted that.

A little off-topic, but I remember being really freaked out by the album cover to Ian Hunter's You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic. I don't remember exactly why -- does anyone recall the cover?

lawoot
08-30-2001, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by curwin

A little off-topic, but I remember being really freaked out by the album cover to Ian Hunter's You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic. I don't remember exactly why -- does anyone recall the cover?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002Z7K/qid=999158626/sr=2-3/002-7851259-7772035

Shockaholics
08-05-2016, 08:22 PM
That "Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin" song by Steve Miller used to scare the bejeezus out of me.
"Fly Like an Eagle". I hate that song too, but for a different reason - my older brother keeps playing that song. I'M SICK OF IT!!!

Bootis
08-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Not a recorded song, but what terrified me most was the bigger kids singing "there was an old lady all skin and bones, whooooo-ooo-ooo ooh-ooh ooh-ooh"

chacoguy
08-06-2016, 03:13 PM
That one song by the Zombies.

Zeke N. Destroi
08-06-2016, 05:55 PM
Not a recorded song, but what terrified me most was the bigger kids singing "there was an old lady all skin and bones, whooooo-ooo-ooo ooh-ooh ooh-ooh"

It was recorded - by Raffi. I sang that song in assembly in grade two.

For me it was:
Sweet Dreams
Hall of the Mountain King

Skypist
08-07-2016, 12:24 AM

That sounds similar to the song that scared me so much when I was a kid. I don't know if it has a title but it goes: "Have you seen the ghost of John? All white bones and the rest is go-o-o-one! Oooo-ooo-oooo! Wouldn't it be chilly with no skin on?"

Scared me to death when I was in the kindergarten/first grade age range.

jtur88
08-07-2016, 11:07 AM
"Dry Bones", made me think of the scary picture of a skeleton in my mom's home medical handbook.

drad dog
08-07-2016, 11:52 AM

Alice Cooper's "Welcome to My Nightmare," especially "Only Women Bleed" and "Cold Ethel." Now that I'm older, I'm not scared by it, but I'm really impressed by A.C.'s songwriting. It takes talent to write couplets like "If I live to / 97 / You'll still be waiting in refrigerator heaven / You're cool / You're nice / Cold Ethel You're my Paradise"

"All the Young Girls Love Alice" and "This Song Has No Title" from Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" double-album. Not too scary, but rather disturbing images for a teen like me. Still a cool album, though.

Another DOA vote. I had such a bad reaction to this song I can't explain it here.

cochrane
08-07-2016, 02:06 PM
You said it, sister. Wanna hear even creepier? When I was a kid, our church choir director had us sing the words to Amazing Grace to that tune.

Talk about weird....

Sounds cool, though.

I know this is a zombie, but if you want creepy, Bob Rivers recorded a version of the carol "O Little Town of Bethlehem" to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun" with a dead-on imitation of Eric Burdon and the Animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmKzZRyzV6w&app=desktop

burpo the wonder mutt
08-07-2016, 04:37 PM
I got two:

The theme from the original "Dark Shadows" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd6farPPbbI) still creeps me out;

A "Night Gallery" episode--The Tune in Dan's Café--had a song on the jukebox that played over and over and abruptly stopped at the same spot every time (...'til death...). The creepy part is, a year or so after that was on TV the first time, my mother is playing the local country station loudly while doing some housework and HERE COMES THAT DAMN SONG (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHW731mFuBY)! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... .

Shockaholics
08-07-2016, 07:44 PM
ELO's "Fire on High" scared me because there is a ride called the Astrosphere at a theme park in Maine I went to called Funtown Splashtown USA, and the song was played on the ride. The ride is a regular Scrambler ride, but it's in the dark and there's laser lights being projected. I was having fun, until the part where everything goes dark and I look up at the ceiling (this ride was indoor) and see A HORRIFYING SKULL FACE THAT LOOKS LIKE THE DEMONIC LOVECHILD OF ADMIRAL ACKBAR AND THE CREEPY ALIEN FROM THE STAR TREK CREDITS being projected on the wall. They projected that goddamn face a few more times and it just freaked me out. What's worse is later that night when I was going home, Fire on High came on the radio and I could not stop thinking about that face at the beginning. Fuck you Funtown.

Cub Mistress
08-07-2016, 08:58 PM

the song is actually about an aircraft crash, but at least one video shows a car crash.

KRC
08-07-2016, 10:20 PM
"Puff the Magic Dragon." When I was 5 I hated that song. I thought the dragon died in the end and I didn't want to hear about it.

Wesley Clark
08-07-2016, 11:06 PM
Little drummer boy. The song still creeps me out.

Hermione
08-08-2016, 12:12 AM
"Dry Bones", made me think of the scary picture of a skeleton in my mom's home medical handbook.

Well, if you need an antidote...

I can never hear "Dem Bones"/"Dry Bones" without thinking of one of my absolute favorite classic Peanuts Sunday strips. (From the sixties, maybe?)

Lucy's putting together a dinosaur skeleton model and Linus asks if he can give a hand. She says sure, you can do the legs. So Linus (with Snoopy looking on--don't ask me why he's at the Van Pelts' place) starts on the skeleton, muttering, "The toe bone connects to the foot bone...and the foot bone connects to the ankle bone...and the ankle bone connects to the leg bone, right?" He and Snoopy start dancing wildly and singing a version of "Dem Bones" that gets more mixed-up (and louder) as it goes along. By the time Linus gets to "The knee bone connects to the wrist bone!" we see Lucy in the background with a look of I-HAVE-ONE-NERVE-LEFT-AND-YOU-ARE-STOMPING-ON-IT...

...and the last panel shows Linus and Snoopy being HURLED out of the front door, with Charlie Brown in the background with a look of "dafuq?" on his face.

Sahirrnee
08-08-2016, 07:34 AM
Timothy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqDu5LBT8_Y

Asimovian
08-08-2016, 07:45 AM
To the extent that it is reasonable to have reopened a 15-year-old thread, we can at least shuffle it off to a forum that did not yet exist back in the frontier days. Relocating thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.

Dung Beetle
08-08-2016, 10:29 AM
This is so funny...or is it eerie? Just yesterday I got my daughter to record some tunes for me, and among them was DOA. I was born in 1970 but had never heard it, and this thread, way back in 2001, was the impetus that made me search it out.

I love scary stuff, and find DOA very interesting. :D

Sahirrnee
08-08-2016, 11:17 AM
I liked DOA, didn't scare me at all, Timothy was disturbing.

Even though I never saw the movie, this Tubular Bells used to give me chills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbnSsTtctTY

Soylent Juicy
08-08-2016, 11:32 AM

I know eh, 15 years has to be a new record.

"Sweet Dreams" by The Eurythmics still gives me the creeps.

Amateur Barbarian
08-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Even though I never saw the movie, this Tubular Bells used to give me chills
What always strikes me is that there's only about twenty seconds of this piece in the film, but it's considered synonymous with the movie.

WOOKINPANUB
08-08-2016, 02:44 PM
We must have had other threads about this because I'm sure I've answered this yet I didn't see a post from me. I was absolutely freaked out by the opening organ music in Elton John's Funeral for a Friend. Another creepy opening is Wings's Silly Love Songs. It's this industrial, clangy sound that was freaky to me for some reason. Then there's Tell Me Something Good with the weird panting sounds just before the chorus. One I didn't hear until a few years ago, even though it's from the '60s is the Chambers Brothers Time Has Come Today. It has this weird sequence where they just keep shouting "time" while the music slows down and it's just disorienting and disturbing as hell. A girl in the office used to bring in her mp3 player that had all kinds of music from different eras, which was fun, and one day this song came on and it was not fun. I asked "what the heck is this?" and she told me it used to scare her when she was little. I told her "well it's scaring me now!".

E-DUB
08-08-2016, 03:18 PM
I like zombie threads. They give us an insight into the past of this place.

The song, not a popular one, is that old kids song that starts..........

"Did you ever see a hearse go by.........."

drad dog
08-08-2016, 06:11 PM
What always strikes me is that there's only about twenty seconds of this piece in the film, but it's considered synonymous with the movie.

It was a top 40 hit.

burpo the wonder mutt
08-08-2016, 07:46 PM
If I may:

"Tubular Bells" is used three times in the film, the second time is when Regan and company are pulling away from the house just before the credits run. The third time is the very end of the credits until finis (about 3 minutes-ish).

"Tubular Bells" entire is about 25 minutes long. Several pieces of it were used in a 45 RPM for about 4 minutes--roughly from the first half of the 25 min version. The "B" side is from the second half of the 25 min version and includes the introduction of the instruments by Vivian Stanshall.

I'm assuming the Top 40 hit was the 45.

drad dog
08-08-2016, 08:44 PM
If I may:

"Tubular Bells" is used three times in the film, the second time is when Regan and company are pulling away from the house just before the credits run. The third time is the very end of the credits until finis (about 3 minutes-ish).

"Tubular Bells" entire is about 25 minutes long. Several pieces of it were used in a 45 RPM for about 4 minutes--roughly from the first half of the 25 min version. The "B" side is from the second half of the 25 min version and includes the introduction of the instruments by Vivian Stanshall.

I'm assuming the 45 was made with music identifiable from the movie, and because of the movie.

Hermione
08-08-2016, 09:55 PM
BTW, here's the Peanuts strip (http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1960/06/05) I referenced in my above post. (As I said, in case you need an antidote to the fear "Dem Bones" usually causes.)

Superdude
08-08-2016, 10:10 PM
"Basement" by the Pain Teens.

Creepy anyway, but when I read about the girl who was the inspiration for it, it was even worse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Likens

Ukulele Ike
08-08-2016, 10:23 PM
BTW, here's the Peanuts strip (http://www.gocomics.com/peanuts/1960/06/05) I referenced in my above post. (As I said, in case you need an antidote to the fear "Dem Bones" usually causes.)
"Dem Bones" just reminds me of the last episode of The Prisoner.

Eddie The Horrible
08-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Can't remember where I posted this Steve Hackett number recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F1oEef5dK0

Peter Gabriel's The Intruder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F1oEef5dK0

I remember my sisters complaining about the Beatles' Run For Your Life and figured, yeah, John's a little off-side, there.

The Swans put out a lotta spooky shit.

composers like Bartok and Ginastera could crank out some truly creepy shit:
Bartok https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avFJpo_tCnY
Ginastera (funny how the first minute is creepy, but the last twenty seconds - joyous melody) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zApDPReVL2Q

There's a Man Outside - Henry Rollins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmLxl7y5iJc

Leaning On the Everlasting Arms - a hymn sung at several points in Night of the Hunter - each time creepier and creepier, culminating in one of the heaviest moments I've seen in 50's film (just the stark way it's shot and everything):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N9LnkKQfuc

This kids' sing-along song wasn't so innocuous for this kid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLJtKlVVZw

Black Girl - Long John Baldry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl9X74O4F5c
"My daddy was a railroad man,
killed a mile and a half from here.
His head was found in the driver's wheel,
and his body ain't ever been found..."

Shockaholics
08-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Peter Gabriel's The Intruder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F1oEef5dK0
Is it bad that I thought of Toonami when I listened to that? "No, wait, no, no, NOOOOOOOOO..."

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
08-10-2016, 11:48 AM

The 25-minute piece you're referring to is actually only Part One of Tubular Bells ; the entire album-length piece is almost 50 minutes long.

I'm assuming the 45 was made with music identifiable from the movie, and because of the movie.

Yes, the single issued in America was an edited version of the album's opening section and was subtitled '(Now the Original Theme from "The Exorcist").' The B-side, which as burpo describes was the part with the instrument announcements, was simply titled "Tubular Bells" with no subtitle.

Mike Oldfield was unhappy with this release and responded by putting together an authorized "Tubular Bells" single for European release. Titled "Mike Oldfield's Single (Theme from Tubular Bells)," (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMJ1SzupsMI) this avoided the "Exorcist" music entirely, presenting instead a re-recording of a section from Part Two of the original album--the part that sounds like a Scottish lament.

Snooooopy
08-12-2016, 10:34 PM
The cover of "Blinded By The Light" by Manfred Mann's Earth Band struck me as being really intense and intimidating, with a bit of sci-fi weirdness thrown in.

Sigmagirl
08-14-2016, 04:38 PM
My father was a baritone, not a bass, but he could hit every note in

Many brave hearts are asleep in the deep
So beware,
Be-

ware.

Ambivalid
08-14-2016, 04:47 PM
"One" by Metallica. Thevideo scared me when I was a boy.

The Stainless Steel Rat
08-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Enjoyed going through this thread, even if most of it was a zombie.

Mine is a minor song, "Swamp Witch" by Jim Stafford. Love it but it can still give me the shivers, especially the last two lines.

"There was a parchment note they found tacked to a stump
Said don't come lookin' again."

Here's the song if you don't recall it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB0SxXTR_UI

JKellyMap
08-14-2016, 10:04 PM
The Beatles' "Here, There, and Everywhere" scared my friend and me as 6-year-olds digging Revolver. I found out later it's because the voices are closely miked.

Someone upthread (15 years ago) mentioned "Girl Land" on Free to Be You and Me. My 5-year-old loves that album (44 years old and still going strong), but always makes me skip that spooky, maudlin track (sung by Shirley Jones and Jack Cassidy).

rowrrbazzle
08-14-2016, 10:36 PM
My Grandfather's Clock. The word "died" scared me a bit.

It rang an alarm in the dead of the night
An alarm that for years had been dumb
And we knew that his spirit was pluming for flight
That his hour of departure had come
Still the clock kept the time, with a soft and muffled chime
As we silently stood by its side.

But it stopped - short,
Never to go again,
When the old man died.

Ninety years without slumbering, tick, tock, tick, tock,
His life seconds numbering, tick, tock, tick, tock,
It stopped - short
Never to go again,
When the old man died.

burpo the wonder mutt
08-14-2016, 11:22 PM

OMG, I still have my Fisher-Price wind up clock (http://www.thisoldtoy.com/fisher-price/dept-1-Audio-Vis-Mus/g-music-bx-tv-radio/1-pics/fp997-64-1.jpg) that plays that tune as the hands and "face" rotate through different scenes. It's from 1962-ish. It still works. It's made of WOOD!

"Died" bothered me as a toddler.

Son of a Rich
08-15-2016, 08:56 AM

If she was there would it have been less creepy?

WOOKINPANUB
08-15-2016, 09:38 AM

Egad, I'd forgot about that one. Exactly who thought that would be an appropriate song for a kids' record? I believe it was on the same album as The Cat Came Backwhich lists all the different ways people tried to get rid of a cat, including this lovely sentiment:

"The man around the corner swore he'd kill the cat on sight,
He loaded up his shotgun with nails and dynamite;
He waited and he waited for the cat to come around,
Ninety seven pieces of the man is all they found." :eek:

I also have a vague memory of a song where a man was going to cut a goat's throat (?) because apparently all it takes to make a child appropriate song is for the words to rhyme.

jsgoddess
08-15-2016, 09:39 AM
I remember seeing Neil Sedaka on some daytime show singing "Bad Blood" and it freaked me out. Bad blood still sounds like something very unpleasant.

Hermione
08-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Free to Be You and Me[/I]. My 5-year-old loves that album (44 years old and still going strong), but always makes me skip that spooky, maudlin track (sung by Shirley Jones and Jack Cassidy).

That one both spooked and fascinated me as a very young kid...mainly because I was too young to understand the symbolism. I thought it was a real amusement park that they were closing down, and didn't understand why that was a good thing--it was always a shame when an amusement park closed, wasn't it? A friend of mine thought that Jack Cassidy's ringmaster was some sort of evil magician that trapped children--"You go in a girl and you never come out!" (I like to think that character prepped me for the Emcee in Cabaret.)

I didn't realize until later that "Girl Land" was a metaphor for traditional, restrictive female roles--"where good little girls pick up after the boys"--and that changing gender roles (the new park that replaces Girl Land) will allow girls to "do what [they] like and be who [they] are." The symbolism that makes it the most interesting song on the album also makes it hard for its child audience to grasp.

Brodi
08-15-2016, 10:41 AM
For some reason when I was a small child my parents thought it was perfectly fine for me to watch Stephen Kings "The Stand". :smack:

Que nightmares caused by the intro (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuw7hr_the-stand-intro-don-t-fear-the-reaper_shortfilms?GK_FACEBOOK_OG_HTML5=1)that featured Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper."

peptastic
08-15-2016, 02:08 PM
The song "moving in stereo" by the Cars frightened me and my siblings.

Misnomer
08-16-2016, 09:10 AM
For me it was "Good Vibrations": the electrotheremin (http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2013/02/07/171385175/no-it-wasn-t-a-theremin-on-good-vibrations-remembering-paul-tanner) sounded like whatever had been used to make the fake UFO sound on an episode of The Brady Bunch. That episode had frightened me, and for a while whenever "Good Vibrations" came on the radio I had to turn it off.

The B-side, which as burpo describes was the part with the instrument announcements, was simply titled "Tubular Bells" with no subtitle.I've had Tubular Bells 2 practically since its release in 1992: my favorite track is a 7-minute piece called "The Bell," which has instrument announcements by the glorious Alan Rickman. As much as I love it I've never bothered to look into Tubular Bells (or Tubular Bells 3), so I've never heard the Viv Stanshall version (and didn't know it existed).

Elendil's Heir
08-16-2016, 09:22 AM
I found the Beatles's "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" and "Blue Jay Way" both kind of scary and unsettling when I was very young. Also Chicago's "Wishing You Were Here," but not quite as strongly.

Asimovian
08-19-2016, 09:18 PM
In 15 years, no one has mentioned "1999"? Loved that song as a kid, except for the end. The little kid asking why everybody has a bomb? Creepy as fuck. Gah!

Ukulele Ike
08-19-2016, 09:42 PM
I thought he meant the Zombies' "Care of Cell 44."

What WAS she in prison for, anyway?....it was....MURDER, wasn't it? Or something worse?

Shockaholics
08-21-2016, 02:18 PM

How do you know what song he's talking about?