PDA

View Full Version : What Episode Of Your Favorite Show Has Brought You To Tears?

ladyfoxfyre
08-24-2001, 03:15 PM
I just got finished watching the NYPD Blue episode in which Bobby dies, and it got me bawling. I've never cried at any other episode of ANY show, but this one struck me so deeply and personally, that I cried for a long long time after that.

So I'm wondering, what other episodes of any show have been so emotional that it has brought you to tears?

evilhanz
08-24-2001, 03:17 PM
CNN's epic mini-series "Desert Storm".

Man, what a show...

Kittie
08-24-2001, 03:26 PM
My favorite show is The Simpsons. I can honestly say I've never cried because of an episode. I feel so heartless...
~Kittie

Ethilrist
08-24-2001, 03:28 PM
Last season's finale to Buffy. Specifically, when Anya loses it because nobody will tell her what she's supposed to do or feel after Joyce dies.

Freudian Slit
08-24-2001, 03:31 PM
I was feeling guilty too, kittie. I really haven't ever cried.

But after the graduation episode of Boy Meets World I shed a couple of tears. :) And no, I didn't cry on the last episode ever because by then the show had started to suck. But seeing little Cory, Topanga, and Shawn all grown up. Even Minkus. From then on, it started to rot, but it was all good before.

Elessar
08-24-2001, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Ethilrist
Last season's finale to Buffy. Specifically, when Anya loses it because nobody will tell her what she's supposed to do or feel after Joyce dies.

I believe you are thinking of "The Body," rather than the season finale. That was one powerful episode. Damn I love me some Buffy.

ADSimcik
08-24-2001, 04:03 PM
I've noticed that most people around here aren't too fond of ST: Voyager, but when they came through the wormhole thingy in the last episode and saw Federation ships, I was tearing up. Guess I'm just a big sap!

ultrafilter
08-24-2001, 04:09 PM
I'll admit to shedding a few tears at the end of Babylon 5. Man, that was a great show.

moggy
08-24-2001, 04:15 PM
The TV-movie that was supposed to wrap up "Homicide: Life on the Street", in which Al Giardello gets shot.

Thirtysomething- the episodes where Nancy & Elliot are having marital difficulties & then they split up, and how their son Ethan deals with it. It made me think about when I was a kid and my parents separated.

The X-Files episode "The Field Where I Died". David Duchovny finally gets a chance to emote, and does so quite well. Some other episodes made me tear up, but I don't know the names of them.

Some people I know got all teary-eyed during the last episode of Babylon 5.

katie1341
08-24-2001, 04:15 PM
I cried during the last episode of "Sy. Elsewhere", but the last episode ended so badly that I think I was sad about that.

obfusciatrist
08-24-2001, 04:32 PM
The final episode of MASH.

I was eight, though, and I think that may be the last time I ever cried without the aid of my mother applying a hairbrush to my butt.

Munch
08-24-2001, 04:33 PM
I routinely tear up during the West Wing. I don't consider myself a patriotic person, but that show gets me about 1/2 the time.

erislover
08-24-2001, 04:37 PM
Twin Peaks, the episode in which Laura Palmer's father has his "revelation" in the Sherrif's holding cell.

Very touching, and no matter how many times I see it it still drives me to tears.

The episode where Radar left the 4077 was a teary farewell, too.

Finally, in my weakest moment, I seem to remember getting misty over the Drew Carey show when he confessed his feelings for Kate while she overheard. We've all got our skeletons.

whiterabbit
08-24-2001, 04:38 PM
I second the B5 finale. I just saw it for the second time yesterday evening, and I cried like a baby.

Podkayne
08-24-2001, 04:56 PM
The finale of B5, every single damn time, I've seen it, but only while they destroy the station itself. Two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night.

Also, West Wing, when Mrs. Landingham died.

ladybug
08-24-2001, 05:00 PM
"The Body" episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I never cried so much at a TV show before. Anya's breakdown had me crying for hours.

The season finale of West Wing. I liked Mrs. Landingham. :( I also cried at the Christmas episode in the first season, when Mrs. Landingham was talking about her sons.

Ross
08-24-2001, 05:08 PM
Edmund Blackadder died at the end of every series (except the third, when he got the Prince Regent to die for him), but the final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth was really pretty moving. It started off as a normal show but gradually spiralled towards the inevitable: they were actually for real going to have to go over the top. The laughs dried up expertly as the characters got more and more frightened, and I think what made it for me was that Blackadder stayed pretty cool throughout. His last words: "Good luck everyone" showed him still in control. We waited for the big joke, of course, but it never came: a shot of them running into the exploding darkness of no-man's-land, and then a genuinely tasteful fade onto the poppyfields of Normandy today.

I cried as much as I ever do. It was pretty clever, because it was really the 14-18 war that finished off the lifestyles in which a Blackadder-Baldrick relationship could still commonly exist. People still have batmen and butlers and servants, but not like they did. It was fitting and appropriate to end there.
I haven't seen Blackadder Back and Forth, but I doubt it tried to genuinely return to form. It sounds like more of a special edition.

Balance
08-24-2001, 05:13 PM
I've never actually been moved to tears by a TV show, but the show that came closest was "Sleeping in Light"--the B5 finale that several people have mentioned. Like Podkayne, it's the fate of the station itself that gets to me the most, although the gathering of friends is moving as well.

ShibbOleth
08-24-2001, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Kittie
My favorite show is The Simpsons. I can honestly say I've never cried because of an episode. I feel so heartless...
~Kittie

Hey, I get a little misty-eyed at the end of the episode where Homer explains to Bart and Lisa why there are no pictures of Maggie (http://www.snpp.com/episodes/2F10.html) in the family album.

Awww, jeez, you're gettin' me all misty eyed here.

Lyllyan
08-24-2001, 05:21 PM
I 'll also thow my vote in for Buffy - both "The Body", and the one from a couple of seasons ago when Buffy had to kill Angel. And tehn of course, the "Angel" episode in which Doyle dies.

Agrippina
08-24-2001, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by ShibbOleth
Hey, I get a little misty-eyed at the end of the episode where Homer explains to Bart and Lisa why there are no pictures of Maggie in the family album.

Yeah. Or the one where Maggie says, "Daddy" when Homer leaves the room.

When I was little, oh probably seven or eight, I would cry when Pee-Wee's Playhouse was over. Because it was over, see. I'm kind of embarassed by that, now, but it's true.

dalovindj
08-24-2001, 05:29 PM
Quantum Leap: The Leap Home - 2 parter.

When he convinces his sister that he is from the future and that John Lennon dies tragically by playing "Imagine" on the guitar (a John Lennon song she never heard because it wasn't written yet). And the whole idea that he is spending his life helping people all over the world and all over time, and yet he can't even help his own family. I'm gonna cry just typing it. What a wonderful show Quantum Leap was. You rarely see science-fiction that is able to pull on the heartstrings, make you laugh, and be so cool at the same time.

4 words: Quantum Leap: The Movie

WTF. Get to it already.

DaLovin'Dj

Eutychus
08-24-2001, 05:39 PM
Northern Exposure ... the episode where we go back in time and meet Cicely and Rosylyn and learn about the founding of the town. I've seen it a hundred times and the ending never fails to bring me to tears.

kunilou
08-24-2001, 05:59 PM
ER -- "Love's Labor Lost" That's the one where the pregnancy and birth go sour and Greene loses the patient after something like a 5-hour battle. I choked up pretty badly over that one and physically had to help Mrs. Kunilou leave the room.

MrAtoz
08-24-2001, 06:00 PM
I also teared up a little during "The Body" episode of Buffy. Not during Anya's speech, though it was good, but when Willow promised Tara she would be "strong like an Amazon."

Apart from that, sadness on TV doesn't often make me cry. But occasionally happiness does. I got a little misty in the episode of Friends where Ben was born. Specifically when Monica holds him for the first time.

And I'm man enough to admit it, dammit!

Legomancer
08-24-2001, 06:10 PM
As much as I like Buffy, I didn't tear up at "The Body" because it was a little too over the top for me. Joss was trying a bit too hard for his Emmy, I thought. Anya's speech might have been powerful if it had made sense - she doesn't understand death? She was human, and when she was a demon, she killed people. What's to not understand? I liked when Willow was upset that all her clothes were stupid (they are, whoever dresses her on that show needs a little taste) but that was undercut when she put on one of her throw rugs before leaving.

I dunno, call me heartless or whatever, but it was all just too calculated for me.

Biggirl
08-24-2001, 06:22 PM
ER got me twice. The episode were Dr. Benton's nephew was killed. When he walked out of the treatment room covered in blood and his sister looked at him and just. . . wailed. I'm getting choked up just thinking about it.

And when Lucy died. Dr. Romano lost it and I did too.

Sir Rhosis
08-24-2001, 06:41 PM
Not cried, but I felt the strings being effectively pulled:

When Hawkeye sees that BJ has spelled out "Goodbye" with the stones.

When Sam says to Al's wife (who believes Al to be dead in Vietnam): "Al's coming home," and whoever that amazing actress was, she smiled and started to tear up at the same moment (a brief expression, but it wasn't dwelt on in a maudlin fashion), it definitely got me.

Sir Rhosis

MrVisible
08-24-2001, 07:41 PM
Northern Exposure

The last episode with Joel. At the end.

The puppet show, where Shelly explains how she sees Holling.

The Christmas episode, where Chris explains to Maurice that prejudice is learned behavior.

And there was an episode of Outer Limits, a Christmas episode, starring, if I'm not mistaken, Rebecca DeMornay.

peewee_RotA
08-24-2001, 07:44 PM
I've got a pretty good handle on my emotion.. I only ever cried for a movie once.. The 1st rugrats movie.. It was rather sad when the monkeys took Dil.. anyway that doesn't count

The only T.V. show that made me cry was that one episode of Whose Line Is It Anyway when they were doing the 3 headed broadway start with Drew... and drew accedentially sung a hole line instead of 1 verse..

Laughed so hard I cried and I was drinking Sprite at the time.. carbonation and nasal tisue does not mix!

Katisha
08-24-2001, 08:00 PM
DS9's "The Visitor," when the future version of Jake dies. sniffle!

(BTW, I really want to see "Blackadder Goes Forth" but haven't had the chance yet...stupid BBC America!)

ladyfoxfyre
08-24-2001, 08:12 PM
Laughed so hard I cried and I was drinking Sprite at the time.. carbonation and nasal tisue does not mix!

Uh, not exactly what I was going for.

PunditLisa
08-24-2001, 08:17 PM
My husband has forbidden me from watching Animal Planet's Emergency Vet show. Said it was ruining his sex life cause it was on right before bed time.

Nightly Scenario

Hubby, entering bedroom: Dear God, Lisa, what's wrong?!

Me (bawling): Barney the beagle has cancer (gasping for breath), and it costs $3,000 for chemo (gasp) and now his mom has to put him to sleep!

okielady
08-24-2001, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by peewee_RotA
I've got a pretty good handle on my emotion.. I only ever cried for a movie once.. The 1st rugrats movie.. It was rather sad when the monkeys took Dil.. anyway that doesn't count

The only T.V. show that made me cry was that one episode of Whose Line Is It Anyway when they were doing the 3 headed broadway start with Drew... and drew accedentially sung a hole line instead of 1 verse..

Okay, WLIIA has caused me to cry numerous times. I know this wasn't what the OP asked for, but I had to comment. Ryan Stiles was playing someone whose head kept getting stuck to things, and at one point, he pretended his head was getting stuck to the front of the desk that Drew sits behind. When he hit the desk with his head, he hit it pretty hard, and broke the little neon tube that goes around the front of the desk. I laughed so hard I fell off the couch.

I didn't actually cry (ok, I MIGHT have) but I got teary-eyed when Rachel and Ross kissed for the first time on Friends, and also during the episode where they find the videotape of Monica and Rachel getting ready for the prom, when she kissed him again after viewing that tape. I got teary eyed when Monica and Chandler got engaged, and again when they got married (and crap, I don't even watch the show much anymore...usually the season opener and season finale is about it...) I DID cry when Phoebe had the triplets.

Gee, it sure takes a lot for me to get all emotional eh?

strangecurrencies
08-24-2001, 09:34 PM
Man, I loved Northern Exposure. The episode that got to me was the one in which Ed, seeking to buy a unique present for Ruth Ann's 70-something birthday, bought her a grave plot on the side of the mountain. She was upset about it until he explained why: he had done it so she would have the opportunity to dance on her own grave! And, at the end of the show, they did......

gorewonfla
08-24-2001, 09:36 PM
On the last episode of Cheers both me and the ex-Mrs. Gorewonfla were bawling our eyes out. She started sobbing, then I did too. To this day when I watch Jeopardy! I still say, "He's got it locked up unless he pulls a Cliff" or answer, "What is a guy that has never been in my pantry." That was the greatest sitcom of its era.

teppei
08-25-2001, 03:01 AM
The Fresh Prince of Belair finale. Grew up watching that show, and seeing them leave an empty house really got to me for some odd reason.

That episode of Punky Brewster when Cherry was locked in the freezer. I was 8 at the time, but still, it was tremendously traumatizing.

darian00
08-25-2001, 05:00 AM
The Christmas episode of Pinky and the Brain where, at the end, Pinky is traumatized because he couldn't give Santa his letter. Believe it or not, I got all misty at that. Poor Pinky. *sniff*

The series finale of M*A*S*H got me all choked up, where Hawkeye realized that the lady on the bus had choked her kid and not a chicken got me, as well as the episode shortly after Radar left where BJ got drunk and emotional because he wanted to go home too. Actually, several M*A*S*H episodes got me like that...the one where Henry got shot down on his way home...The Interview...the one where they had to look for a new place to put the 4077th (the one where Clinger had to give his wardrobe to the prostitutes).

Kayeby
08-25-2001, 05:36 AM
I cried the season finale of Buffy too. Also the episode of Pokemon where Ash releases Butterfree, and the one where Pikachu almost left him.

ambushed
08-25-2001, 05:43 AM
Like MrAtoz, I find I cry more often from moments of great happiness than grief or sadness. But what really gets me are the rare and sublime moments of profundity or deep recognition of emotional realities. Such moments really start the waterworks!

Regrettably, I can't seem to recall the details of most of these events. It must be premature brain death or something...

But one example of what I'm talking about was the speech delivered to Agent Cooper in Twin Peaks, about the time of the climactic revelation, by the FBI forensics expert played by Miguel Ferrer about doing whatever was necessary to find the killer of Laura Palmer. "Go and do your dance..."

Even more memorable was the incredible scene in Twin Peaks of father-son love between the rebellious Bobby and the reserved but profound Colonel Briggs about the elder man's dreams for his son! I'm crying right now as I recall it...

As for sadly moving scenes, one that hasn't been listed yet that springs to mind was the roll call announcement of the sudden death of the sergeant (Phil?) on Hill Street Blues required by the sudden death of the actor playing him. What an understated but affecting moment!

I seem to recall I've experienced similar moments from shows like Hill Street Blues, Picket Fences, Twin Peaks, Northern Exposure, Homicide, West Wing, and - Bob help me -- Doogie Howser, M.D.!

As such, it occurs to me that American television isn't as hopeless as it is often made out to be...

ambushed
08-25-2001, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by peewee_RotA
I've got a pretty good handle on my emotion..
Only one emotion? With all due respect, peewee_RotA, from your post I would imagine many psychologists would say your "emotion" has been crushed into oblivion!

Don't try to be so macho. Crying is necessary for emotional balance, so you might consider unclenching your buttocks someday and having yourself a good long cry. Loss of affect is a symptom of serious depression!

Drastic
08-25-2001, 06:38 AM
Second-season Millenium (the third veered--or nosedived--into a different show entirely), episode "Luminary". Particularly back when it first aired, its theme of a spiritual awakening hit pretty damn hard.

Skijumper
08-25-2001, 08:54 AM
Sesame Street - when Mr Hooper died. I was sitting on the living room floor, staring, mouth open, at the TV. I was 5 or 6 at the time but I just knew that he was never going to be back on the show. I felt a huge pain in my chest and I felt really sad - I remember that distinctly.

Peta Tzunami
08-25-2001, 09:19 AM
M*A*S*H
Every time Colonel Henry Blake's chopper goes down over the sea of Japan and there are no survivor's.

And other eps I'm sure--especially when Hawkeye loses it, like in the finale when he finally has his break-through.

Buffy
Fool for Love: Spike's story of being made and when Buffy echos the words "Never with you, you're beneath me."

The Body: Kind of obvious (and nearly continuous).

Most of the season finales -- especially when Angel dies, Angel leaves for LA, and then when Buffy dies. Also, when Oz leaves Willow.

Angel
I Will Remember You: Buffy and Angel finally have all they dreamed of and Angel must once again sacrifice it 'to save the world' by having the powers reverse time with the oh-too-sad fact that Angel alone will remember that day and all they had together.

Hero: Wherein our favorite Irish half-man, half demon sacrifices himself for all (after finally kissing Cordelia).

Various episodes of China Beach.

Those are the one's that jump out at me for now.

lolagranola
08-25-2001, 09:19 AM
In deference to another thread...

Warning - May Contain Spoilers for Bolded Shows

I never cry while watching tv or movies. I did get close to crying on several episodes of Buffy.

Becoming - Part 2. Buffy has to send Angel to hell just as he regains his soul. This reaches a crescendo as her mother reads her good-bye note. I get a little misty everytime.

The Body. Didn't seem calculated to me. My own mother died, and it really brought back some issues. During the whole episode, I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach.

Note to Legomancer: I found Anya's speech to reflect the way I feel about death. I don't understand it either. Also, although she caused death as a demon, she never had to struggle with her own mortality, or the loss of ones close to her. She was impervious and above the fray of humanity.

The Gift. The last two minutes. The speech that Buffy gives about figuring it all out. Watching Spike and Willow as they cry.

Other shows that got me misty:

MASH. The previously mentioned chicken/baby story. Probably a few other episodes, but I don't watch it much anymore.

ER. I don't even watch this show every week, but I was watching the week that Lucy died. That last "thank you" really got me.

Jophiel
08-25-2001, 10:30 AM
My mom always cries at the episode of the Simpsons when Homer's mother returns and has to leave again. It was on the other day and I thought about calling her to let her know it was on but then decided not to since she's just cry over it. Of course, the end of the episode, she calls me and says she just watched it.

Rayne Man
08-25-2001, 10:35 AM
" I Am Hugh " episode of "Star Trek The Next Generation". The moment when a little piece of humanity starts to creep into the Borg's perception is very touching.

Feynn
08-25-2001, 10:53 AM
All In The Family:

Archie is sitting on his bed after Edith's funeral and he finds her slippers underneath the bed. He completely breaks down, he speaks to the heavens and says he was supposed to the one to go first, not her. That was the way it was supposed to be. The scene closes with Archie sitting there with his head in his hands, completely devastated. We realize that despite his oftentimes poor treatment of her, he loved her more than all else.

Everyone in my house shed tears, even my hard as nails father.

If Archie Bunker could cry, we all should be able to.

I get misty just thinking of that scene.

tavalla
08-25-2001, 11:00 AM
The final episode of MASH.

I'm a West Wing fan, and the capital punishment episode + Josh's breakdown got to me.

SFCanadian
08-25-2001, 11:19 AM
SPOILER!

One of the first episodes of Six Feet Under.

In the first episode, the father is killed when his hearse is hit by a bus.

David, the Gay son deals with his father's death by NOT dealing with it.

In a later episode, Nate's girlfriend tells Nate and David to meet her at a certain corner of LA at a certain time.

The guys show up, not knowing why she wants them to meet her there. She meets them, then she has them grab a passing bus.

When the guys ask her why she had them meet her just to take a bus, she tells them "This is THE bus"..

When David realizes what she's talking about, he finally breaks down about his father's death.

Then the show faded. I think I was sobbing as much as the character.

SFCanadian

a35362
08-25-2001, 11:21 AM
I don't really have a favorite show, but some moments that I remember are:

No one has yet mentioned the end of the X-Files episode "Triangle," where Mulder finally says, "Scully? ...I love you." I know this is an issue with some of the "noromo" fans, but for me it wasn't about the romance as much as it was about Mulder finally being able to express his feelings and about knowing how long it took for him to get to that point. Yep, cried for two minutes right there.

Any episode (just about) when a baby is born. The moment on Friends when Phoebe comes rushing out of the bathroom while the others are squabbling about something and cries, "You guys! You guys! I'm pregnant!" I just dissolved. Just that 180 of fighting-to-joy, when you know how important it is for this to work. Also, the "Mabel is born" episode of Mad About You, when Paul and Jamie are holding their beautiful new baby as the nurse pulls the curtain aside at dawn and Paul says, "This is the good room." Waaaah!

The episodes of thirtysomething dealing with Gary's death, starting with the news coming immediately after they're all reassured and happy that Nancy's okay, through the funeral and Michael dealing with oh, heck, what was Gary's girlfriend's name, settling the estate and helping the girlfriend move out, and then Nancy or someone says "We're never going to see [Emma? the baby] ever again," all had me sniffling and snorting periodically.

I'm sure there are many episodes of ST:TNG that had me going, but I can't think of them specifically. Maybe "Tapestry" (Picard dies and Q shows him how his life would have turned out if he had made a different choice in his youth - It's a Wonderful Life in Starfleet.)

pepperlandgirl
08-25-2001, 02:33 PM
...so I don't know if someone has already said this, but the season finale of The West Wing this last season. When "Brothers in Arms" started playing, and it went perfectly with what was going on...I recorded it and watched it three times and it made me cry everytime.

Stoid
08-25-2001, 04:06 PM
And it was only a week ago. The last episode this season of Six Feet Under just ripped me.

SPOILER...AND IF YOU DON'T WATCH THIS SHOW NOW, YOU MUST FIND A WAY TO GET YOUR HANDS ON THE FIRST SEASON BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST SHOW EVER.

The trigger was the question to Nate: "Why do we die?" and his reply: "To make life important"

Oh lord... I cried for 15 minutes.

stoid

Iolanthe
08-25-2001, 04:39 PM
This question bemused me lately. There are shows that I love, and I've had definite reactions to them. I had to look away in H:LotS when Tim revealed his abuse to Frank, I froze during Sam's "It was high treason, and it mattered a great deal" speech in TWW, and I flinched (hugely) when Faith approached Wesley with that piece of glass on Angel. But I don't usually cry. Eyes well up, yes (the entire episode about Crosetti's death on H:LotS,) but not cry.

Except this summer, twice, when Sports Night left me crying like an infant. Once when Issac came back after his stroke (and Robert Guillaume's came back from his real life one,) and once when Dana confronted and then reassured her little brother, who was in trouble for steriod use. Tears were streaming down my face. I like the show, but it's not even my favorite one on now. I don't get it...

greenlady
08-25-2001, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by David Cronan
" I Am Hugh " episode of "Star Trek The Next Generation". The moment when a little piece of humanity starts to creep into the Borg's perception is very touching.

Never saw it, but I can just imagine the impact this would have on me. I am a huge Star Trek Voyager fan, but have probably only seen a handful of episodes. Gawd, why'd they put that thing on at MIDNIGHT -- I'm asleep 15 minutes into the episode....

Also, Feynn, I have NEVER seen the the infamous All in the Family episode where Edith dies. I'm sure I'd be a shoo in for tears for that one....

I absolutely LOVE and look forward to (with unashamed glee) the Christmas episode of the soap Days of Our Lives -- you know, (for Days fans) the one where they hang individualized ornaments on Alice's tree , all the while saying various "syrupy" stuff. It just gets me every time. 'course I've been watching Days since the 70's so I have a definite vested interest in these characters....

dubs
08-25-2001, 07:26 PM
I tear up so much watching TV and movies, I can't even keep track anymore. But one small part of an episode of ER (or maybe it was Chicago Hope, doesn't matter) has stayed with me for years.

Alan Rosenberg (he played Ira, Cybill's ex-husband on Cybill) was a man with heart disease of some kind. He couldn't have a transplant for some reason and there was nothing else that could be done for him. He was admitted to the hospital and was told that he only had a short amount of time to live because his heart was rapidly winding down.

He had a wife and a little girl and he just laid there on the bed with this horrifyingly anguished look on his face saying, "I don't want to die!"

The poor man didn't even have time to work out any acceptance or resolution to his fate. He just laid there knowing that pretty damn soon he was going to wink out like a candle flame. No "rage against the dying of the light" for him; it wouldn't make a difference. How horrifying.

Rilchiam
09-06-2001, 06:41 PM
Simpsons: Bart and Lisa on opposing teams in peewee hockey. Four seconds to go: Bart has the penalty shot; Lisa has to block it. Bart's supporters chanting "Kill, Bart! Kill, Bart! Kill, Bart!" Lisa's supporters chanting, "Kill Bart! Kill Bart! Kill Bart!"

Sound fades away and Bart flashes back to baby Lisa snitching cookies and handing them to him. Lisa flashes back to giggling and clapping at Bart's shadow pictures. Bart remembers Lisa putting a band-aid on his scraped knee. Lisa remembers Bart giving her half his ice cream when she dropped hers.

Bart chucks aside his stick; Lisa tosses the mask. Skate forward and meet in the middle.

"Great game, sis."

"Great game, Bart."

I'm tearing up just typing this.

Also, I didn't see Free Willy, so I don't know how I would have reacted, but I always get something in my eye when Homer says, "Jump, Free Willy! Jump with all your miiiiight!" Dan Castellaneta is worth his weight in gold.

All in the Family: The episode where Mike and Gloria leave. It was years before I could watch without breaking down. "I know I always acted like I hated you...But I love you..."

Roseanne: After years of neglecting DJ, the youngest, though she always claimed he was her favorite, Roseanne finally whales on him (for something he probably wouldn't have done if he'd been getting enough attention). The overhead shot of her slumped at the kitchen table, presumably realizing she's turned out like her abusive father, and the subsequent scene where she finally communicates with DJ, tear my heart out. "I'm sorry you got hit." "Well, I'm sorry you got hit too. Real sorry. Like right now would be a good time to ask for a puppy!"

Also the scene where she talks to her dad in his coffin. "I'm angry at you for...and because you made us feel like we could never be good enough. But I forgive you, just because I need to get on with my life. And I forgive myself for being so darn angry." At the door, she turns: "Thank you for your...humor...Iloveyougoodbye."

LA Law: Arnie, the womanizing divorce lawyer, is ending his brief, half-assed marriage, which, of course, is due to his cheating. He's overseeing a bitter property dispute, and suddenly freaks and starts throwing stuff, breaking a lava lamp and damaging a painting. "They are just things! No matter how much you love them...they will never love you back!" Later, Roxanne, his faithful-but-not-a-doormat secretary visits his pathetic transition apartment. "I don't want to die alone, Rox...and I know that I'm going to..."

Also, and please don't laugh, but before 90210 became a total soap opera, one of the original characters "accidentally" shot himself. I think they just created the character (a misfit, not a geek, just a loser) so they would have someone to kill off for a Very Special Episode, but David's reaction was a cut above the typical "boo-hoo, life is short and precious". "Why do you want to write a tribute for him? So people can glance at it once and throw it in the trash?...It doesn't matter what you write about him in the paper. It doesn't matter what you say about someone once they're dead. What matters is how you treat them while they're still here."

Ross
09-06-2001, 07:06 PM
I remember Mr Cooper.

:sniff:

In fact the supermarket opposite my school used to be caled Cooper's.

It's now a bar.

:sniff:

He's not really dead, is he? He fled to Japan last year amid a financial scandal involving a close governmental ally, just like the guineau pig from Playschool. Right?

Czarcasm
09-06-2001, 09:18 PM
This is more of a Cafe Societish kinda thread.
Meet you there!

Nacho4Sara
09-06-2001, 09:47 PM
The all-time most heart-wrencing, painful, sad, and tear-inducing episode of any show, ever, was the last episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. My God, I cried like a baby for about an hour. The scene where the whole gang shuffles over to the table to get tissues, and then Mary gives her family speech: "You guys are my family." Okay, I'm crying right now. The final shot, when she shuts off the lights and is silhouetted in the door - that was a moment of TV history. We all knew she was going to make it after all, but I have never cried so much over a TV show in my life. Oy vey!

Let me compose myself (I think I'm going to watch my tape of it tonight, to relive the emotions)...

The episode of ER when Nurse Hathaway leaves to find Doug. When she walks out on that pier, and "Taking You Home" by Don Henley is playing, and Doug just holds her face, cupped in his hands, before kissing her ever so gently...wow. Then he asks where the twins are...what a sad, sad moment. I was overjoyed to see Doug, saddened that Carol was leaving, emotional already because of what Luka confessed about his dead family, and that kiss just threw me into hysterics.

The Wonder Years is one of my all-time favorite shows as a kid, and I still love it (thank god for Nick At Nite - I have nearly five years worth of it on tape.) The episode where Winnie and Kevin's schools both go on a field trip to the library, and she breaks up with him, is a killer.

The saddest, though, is the final one. At the very end, after you know (it's alluded to) that Kevin and Winnie made love for the first time the night before, and then they show up for the Fourth of July parade, and Kevin explains what happens to his family - his dad died, his mom is still the maker-of-mashed-potatoes, and his brother takes over the furniture business. Kevin then waxes poetic on suburban life, and in closing, utters the line that breaks my heart every time:

There was a girl I knew who lived across the street. Brown hair, brown eyes. When she smiled, I smiled. When she cried, I cried. Every single thing that ever happened to me that mattered, in some way had to do with her.

My keyboards getting all wet. :(

Mudshark
09-06-2001, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Feynn

All In The Family:

Archie is sitting on his bed after Edith's funeral and he finds her slippers underneath the bed. He completely breaks down, he speaks to the heavens and says he was supposed to the one to go first, not her. That was the way it was supposed to be. The scene closes with Archie sitting there with his head in his hands, completely devastated. We realize that despite his oftentimes poor treatment of her, he loved her more than all else.

Everyone in my house shed tears, even my hard as nails father.

Actually, Edith did not die until All in the Family became Archie Bunker's Place. This was one of the saddest episodes of any TV show I have seen. Another sad All in the Family is called Edith's Christmas Story where Edith thinks that she might have breast cancer and dose not want to spoil Christmas so she keeps it to herself. When Archie finds out he rushes to the hospital and sees Edith in a bed and thinks that it is too late.

Also, yet another All in the Family that I find very sad, is Edith's 50th Birthday. It is a two part episode, where Edith is attacked and almost raped on her 50th birthday.

Although I didn't cry whan I saw any of these episodes, they are very sad. I did come close to tears when Edith died.

Why do all these bad things have to happen to Edith?

ricksummon
09-06-2001, 10:51 PM
The episode of Babylon 5 called Interludes and Examinations never fails to move me. This is, of course, the episode where....

SPOILER WARNING!

Kosh dies.

"Don't blame yourself... for what happened later."
"See, as long as you're here... I'll always be here."

King Rat
09-06-2001, 10:57 PM
Star Trek TOS, at the end of The Menagerie Part II where we see the "restored" Capt. Pike walking hand-in-hand with Vina, then cut to Kirk with a smile on his face and really, really, weepy music. This never fails to make me squirt.

Honorable mentions: Edith Keeler must die; the death of Mirimani; Zarabeth helping Spock & McCoy escape knowing that she will be stuck in the ice age all alone; Shahna's tearful farewell to Kirk, saying that she will look to the stars.

Kamino Neko
09-07-2001, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by lolagranola
In deference to another thread...

Warning - May Contain Spoilers for Bolded Shows

I never cry while watching tv or movies. I did get close to crying on several episodes of Buffy.

The Body. Didn't seem calculated to me. My own mother died, and it really brought back some issues. During the whole episode, I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach.

Note to Legomancer: I found Anya's speech to reflect the way I feel about death. I don't understand it either. Also, although she caused death as a demon, she never had to struggle with her own mortality, or the loss of ones close to her. She was impervious and above the fray of humanity.[/B]

Agreed - I think the line that most summed this up in her rant was 'It's so...MORTAL' (or something to that effect).

And as to causing death as a demon - It's not really the same thing to kill someone you don't know, and have some reason (if a vague, irrational) reason to hate (or cause them to cease to exist) as to have someone you know, and are close to die for some incomprehensible reason.

Sunshine
09-07-2001, 10:07 AM
What episode of my favorite show hasn't brought me to tears? I regularly tear up watching t.v., even if it's not my favorite show. I cry at sappy commercials. I cry during the news. And Emergency Vets always kills me.

I cried really hard during the episode of Mad About You after they had the baby and were trying to get her to sleep through the night. They were told by their doctor or somebody to just let the baby cry or she wouldn't ever learn how to get to sleep on her own. The whole episode is filmed looking down the hall at the bedroom door, and Paul and Jamie are mostly sitting outside the door talking and listening to the baby cry. It's killing them not to go in and comfort her and they discuss all the times in Mabel's life when they're going to have to let her grow up and learn things on her own, etc.
Seeing how hard that was for them was really heart-wrenching and made me think about parenting.

Legomancer
09-07-2001, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Tengu
Agreed - I think the line that most summed this up in her rant was 'It's so...MORTAL' (or something to that effect).

And as to causing death as a demon - It's not really the same thing to kill someone you don't know, and have some reason (if a vague, irrational) reason to hate (or cause them to cease to exist) as to have someone you know, and are close to die for some incomprehensible reason.

But she was human before she became a demon. Did no one she knew die during that time? I mean, I can understand her being frustrated at death, but to be completely clueless about the nature of death? That's just silly.

I just felt this was a case where all the strings were obvious. To me, this was sledgehammer-quality, dammit-I-want-an-Emmy, Serious Episode death at its worst. Obviously I am in a minority, so it didn't do a bad job, for most people.

Enore_Tsotset
09-07-2001, 10:20 AM
Mine was the episode of Spin City where Michael J Fox left. Got to me for some reason. I grew up with MJ (Back to the Future is still one of my favorite movies, and who can forget Alex P Keaton) and knowing that he was not only leaving the show, but was doing so because of a nasty degenerative disease, made it even worse. My wife and I both lost it watching that.

And Star Trek:TNG where MCCoy tours the new Enterprise with Data... Just plain sad...

I'm gonna go post in a happy thread now...

bafaa
09-07-2001, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Katisha
DS9's "The Visitor," when the future version of Jake dies.
Oh, yeah. That one got me every time I saw it.

ST:TNG The Inner Light - I have it on tape and the end always gets to me.

ER - I've actually teared up many times watching ER but damn when Lucy dies and Romano loses it? Well, I lost it too.

Quantum Leap - The final episode.

MASH - Radar leaving, Henry dying, the last episode.

And many more.

Satchmo
09-07-2001, 11:02 AM
I don't usually cry for tv shows. (Movies are another story and another thread.) There was one, though, I think it was the premier for "911". Newlywed couple on there way to their honeymoon. Auto accident which ends with a huge beam crushing the car. They are both trapped under it, the wife, (I think) is unconscious, the husband is awake and alert. The rescue team soon figure out that the beam has essentially cut him in two and the pressure of it is the only thing keeping him alive. The wife, not hurt by the beam, has a head wound/brain damage and is fading fast. Over the course of the show, (one hour, I think), we get to know the husband and through him, the wife, all their history, their plans, everything. Plus his family gets there and he gets to say goodbye. Meanwhile the police have "hot wired" a crane from a construction site to lift the beam. A priest gives the husband the last rites, then they lift the beam in slow motion, the husband dies, they cut the wife out of the car in seconds and trundle her into the waiting ambulance. I cried like a little girl. If it had been me, I'd have insisted that I be the one to give the word to lift the beam.

horhay_achoa
09-07-2001, 11:06 AM
The last episode of Seinfeld when they played that stupid Green Day song and did the little montage. I was damn close to breaking down.

TeaElle
09-07-2001, 01:05 PM
Homicide Life on the Streets: When Frank Pembleton steps out onto the steps of the police building in full dress uniform to salute the passing casket of Frank Crosetti, I bawl, every single time I see it.

ER: So many ER episodes have made me cry, including the aforementioned Love's Labor Lost, the Alan Rosenberg episode and when Lucy Knight dies. But I also can't help but cry in an episode with Danny Rappaport as the victim of a chemical burn. He is slowly but surely dying, and has just hours, and asks Carol to get a letter and his bank account information to his daughter who he hasn't seen in many years. Carol goes to his ex-wife's apartment and the woman rebuffs Carol and doesn't care that Rappaport is dying and won't let their daughter go to say goodbye. That broke my heart.

The last one is embarrassing, but here goes: I also cry during the episode of Designing Women in which Jean Smart's character Charlene has her baby. The episode features the late Beah Richards as a 100+ year old woman who is on the maternity ward of the hospital because she wants to be near the babies when she dies. She tells stories of her life to the other 3 women and their assorted friends, and the sad part is that she outlived her entire family, including all of her children. Dixie Carter & Annie Potts are there, holding her hand, as she dies while the song "Somewhere Out There" plays in the background. It's schmaltzy to the utmost, but it breaks me every time.

Agrippina
09-07-2001, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by tlw
The last one is embarrassing, but here goes: I also cry during the episode of Designing Women in which Jean Smart's character Charlene has her baby. The episode features the late Beah Richards as a 100+ year old woman who is on the maternity ward of the hospital because she wants to be near the babies when she dies.

I was just coming to this thread to write about that exact episode (no really, I'm serious)! I cry like a baby everytime I catch it. Plus they dig the knife in a little deeper by implying that Charlene's baby was born the exact moment the old woman died. Plus, it takes place on New Years Eve/Day!!

On another Roseanne note, I'm also remembering the series finale (thank god they ended that show, it was really getting foolish). Hell, the last episode was better than the entire last two seasons! At the very end, you find that none of the events after Dan's heart attack/Darlene's wedding really happened (like winning the lottery and totally changing the entire interior of their house); but Darlene having her baby was real, I think) and the events that were on the show were really just part of a autobiographical book Roseanne Conner was writing. It shows a shot of Rosie writing down in the basement, writing that book like she always wanted to. We find out that Dan had actually died from his heart attack. It was pretty sad--at least I thought so.

Rilchiam
09-07-2001, 03:26 PM
Yes. I was going to refer to the last shot of that episode, with her alone on the couchk, but I thought I'd already given the show enough time.

09-07-2001, 06:32 PM
The Boston Public show that ended with the music class singing "I'll take you there." The last shot was Harry carrying flowers to Taronne's gravesite.

I'm from one of those weepy families anyway.

Kalashnikov
09-07-2001, 08:18 PM
maybe not actual tears but there are certainly episodes that have moved me.

Some MASH episodes, yeah, and some Star Trek.

How about the episode of Alien Nation when Francisco is pregnant, and he and Sykes are out on a case then he goes into labor... Sykes helps deliver the baby. When Francisco says, "it needs the warmth of two bodies", Sykes takes off his shirt and lies down on the pavement with him with the baby in between.

Alessan
09-07-2001, 11:55 PM
Mine is kind of obscure:

[b]Wiseguy[b] - when Sonny Steelgrave dies.

Nights in white satin...

Otto
09-08-2001, 12:05 PM
In addition to Buffy "The Body," the B5 finale and a couple of the others mentioned, three episodes of Designing Women always choke me up. There's an episode where a 24 year old friend of the women is dying of AIDS and he asks them to plan his funeral. The episode when Mary Jo gets mugged. The scene where she's describing the encounter in the parking garage gets me every time. And the one where Charlene's cousin is the victim of spousal abuse.

Oh, and the one where Charlene gives birth gets me sometimes too. I'm such a sucker soetimes.

Verrain
09-08-2001, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Feynn
All In The Family:

Yeah All in the Family was great for those kind of moments especially when you saw through to the big softy Archie really was.

I remember the episode where Gloria had decided not to raise their son with any religion, and Archie actually stole him to try and get one done quick but of course the priest wouldn't do that. So there is this little scene with Archie in the church just looking up into sky, "Hello God. This is my grandson." Gets me every time with the look of love on Archie's face.

Schadenfreude
09-08-2001, 02:33 PM
Farscape

Now, I've always been a big sci-fi geek, but nothing has ever drawn me in like this show. Over three seasons, the characters have been extraordinarily well developed. So when bad stuff happens to them, I've been know to shed a few tears.

Spoilers below if you haven't seen the episodes (they're playing them from the beginning Mon-Thurs at 8 on Sci-fi, so it's not too late!)...

In the episode "Infinite Possibilities, Part 2: Icarus Abides," I knew that this copy of Crichton wasn't going to make it. It had been set up so well: the victory over Scorpius' probe, the romance--finally--with Aeryn, that the only dramatically feasible thing to do was kill him off. The conflict that would result when Aeryn was reunited with his clone would just make for good plot. My wife and I had been saying for weeks that he would die somehow, but we help out hope until the very end. We bawled.

And then there was Aeryn's death in "Die Me, Dichotomy," where John, under Scorpius' control, knocks her prowler out of the sky, just after they finally figure out that they are in love with one another. We figured that she wasn't dead for good, but it was a very poignant and tragic moment.

Of course, Zhaan's death in "Self Inflicted Wounds, Part 2: Wait For The Wheel" was rough on us. We knew that Virginia Hey was leaving the show, but we didn't want to believe that it meant her character would die. Since Zhaan had been ill for some time previous, and they were so close to a cure, we hoped that she would get healed, and then leave to do her own thing somewhere. But her heroic sacrifice was well in keeping with the character's nature.

Kamino Neko
09-08-2001, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Legomancer
But she was human before she became a demon. Did no one she knew die during that time? I mean, I can understand her being frustrated at death, but to be completely clueless about the nature of death? That's just silly.

Point 1 - she's been a demon for over a millenium - do you think you'd keep your mortal perspective if you spent 1000 years giving humans about the same amount of consideration you or I would give to an enemy in a video game?

Point 2 - if she were mature enough to actually understand death, she wouldn't have become a Vengance Demon to begin with.

elfkin477
09-08-2001, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Ethilrist

Me too. That is one of the most powerful scenes I've ever seen, period, not just on that show.

The only other one I can think of is e.r. the episode in which the crazy guy attacks Lucy and Carter. And the weird thing is, it wasn't anything to do with that story line, it was the other one in it in which two little kids lose both their parents in an accident and someone needs to explain to the four year old.

I have a feeling that X-Files will make me cry at some point (I've only seen 1/4th or so of the episodes so far) and I think I'm probably forgetting something about Dawson's Creek too...

Mahaloth
09-09-2001, 03:28 PM
I was surprised no one had mentioned Farscape, until I saw the mention above. Seriously, folks, so many of you have mentioned B5. You should realllllly be watching Farscape. It's a amazing. I was near tears at the same moments Schadenfreude was. I didn't actually cry, though.

Tony Montana
09-10-2001, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by kunilou
ER -- "Love's Labor Lost" That's the one where the pregnancy and birth go sour and Greene loses the patient after something like a 5-hour battle. I choked up pretty badly over that one and physically had to help Mrs. Kunilou leave the room.

ooh ooh, the one where the old mans wife died. then he sung(sang?) to her right there in the ER. the whole ER came to a standstill. MAN that made me misty./*snif*/=O(

ShelliBean
09-10-2001, 10:49 PM
The ER episode where the two teenage brothers come in and the docs discover that they don't have any parents. One of the brothers is slightly retarded and doesn't understand why Social Services is coming for them and they split the brothers up and the retarded brother is screaming that he doesn't want to go while they physically push him into a van. I have to turn the channel when that one comes on.

The Super Bowl and the college championship game if an SEC or "underdog" team is in it.

Stop laughing!!

toonerama
09-10-2001, 11:04 PM
Already mentioned above, but the final M.A.S.H. episode does it for me. In particular, the little story line where Charles is trying to teach the Korean musicians a Mozart piece. Finally when it sounds beautiful, they are killed. Then Charles wasn't such a pompous ass; a nice way to round out his character.

Btw, does anyone remember WHICH Mozart piece that was?

Fionn
09-11-2001, 12:08 AM
MASH-This has probably made me want to cry several times, but a certain episode immediately comes to mind. Hawkeye gets a letter from his father, and learns he has cancer and is going into surgery. He spends all day trying to get his father and his father's doctor on the phone. Charles realizes this, and drops his pompous ass act in order to make Hawkeye feel better.
The Simpsons-I get choked up in the episode where Homer eats the Guatemalan insanity peppers, fights with Marge, and wanders through the town looking for his soul mate. Homer just looks so sad as he walks through town. I also got a lump in my throat during the episode where Homer's mother comes back to Springfield after decades on the run. Homer wonders if his mother left because of him. When Marge tells him he's been a great son, he curls up and says "So why did she leave me?"
Roseanne-I was crying during the final episodes, when Darlene's baby was born and they weren't sure whether or not she would live. I definitely think there could have been a Darlene and David spin-off from Roseanne.

zoogirl
09-11-2001, 01:06 AM
MASH, of course, the episode where Hotlips gets choked up over the little dog and again when she blasts her nurses for never even offering her a "Lousy cup of coffee". I don't usually watch E.R., but I did catch Carol walking down that pier to Doug. WAAA!
Another World, gone but not forgotten! Every Christmas and the last episode, especially the last shot of Mac.
X Files, the end of the episode with the deformed boy who loved Cher.
Northern Exposure, both Ruth-Ann's grave and Shelly meeting her daughter at various ages.
Little House, regularly and often! The Number One weeper is probably the fire when Mary loses her baby.
Well, of COURSE "The Body"!
And, an animation for dessert, the "Santa's Little Helper" episode of The Simpsons!

g-gotta go(sniff) I n-need to fi-fi-find a Kleenex---WHAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!

zoogirl
09-11-2001, 01:16 AM
Sniff, Sniff, (BLOW!)
There, I think I'm reasonably coherent again. I almost forgot a prime one! The Waltons, when Mary-Ellen gets word that her husband has been killed, but she still wants to have Christmas for her son...Oh rats , here I g-go again! SNIFF!!!

rowrrbazzle
09-11-2001, 01:50 AM
I've never cried or been really close to tears because of a TV show. However, I've gotten choked up by two episodes.

B5: not "Sleeping in Light". "Endgame". Sheridan realizes the only way to stop the last defense platform from wreaking havoc on Earth is to ram it, sacrificing his own life and all of his crew. At the very last moment, another ship approaches and blasts the platform. Sheridan's ship emerges from the debris.

All Creatures Great and Small: The last episode. James Herriott is leaving for London to join the army to fight in WWII.

dougie_monty
09-18-2001, 04:52 PM
MASH-This has probably made me want to cry several times, but a certain episode immediately comes to mind. Hawkeye gets a letter from his father, and learns he has cancer and is going into surgery. He spends all day trying to get his father and his father's doctor on the phone. Charles realizes this, and drops his pompous ass act in order to make Hawkeye feel better.
I wept at the final episode of M*A*S*H--but it was from the tender moment when Klinger proposed to Soon Lee.
The above quote was from an episode that made me mad enough to chew nails--not that Hawkeye couldn't contact his dad, but that the young military fathead cheerly tells Pierce, "You're a non-person!" with the same demeanor one usually has when getting good news. Hawkeye stormed off in anguish; the war-weary Colonel Potter glowered at the young smartaleck (played by Illdum Quink, or whatever) and bawled him out.
I confess I didn't see the finale of Mary Tyler Moore. I heard beforehand that everyone was going to be fired by the corporate reprobates except for Ted Baxter; this didn't strike me as a laughing matter. :mad: To this date I still have not seen the finale. Well, forewarned is forearmed...

Jeremy's Evil Twin
09-18-2001, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Rilchiam
Also, I didn't see Free Willy, so I don't know how I would have reacted, but I always get something in my eye when Homer says, "Jump, Free Willy! Jump with all your miiiiight!" Dan Castellaneta is worth his weight in gold.

*SPLAT!*

Voice on TV: Oh no, Willy didn't make it! And he crushed our boy!

Homer: I don't like this new director's cut.

...sorry. :)

tritone
09-18-2001, 09:02 PM
Possible Ballykissangel spoiler

I have never cried because of a movie or a TV show, except for once. The episode of Ballykissangel where Assumpta dies, just as she and Peter have finally got it all figured out. I wept buckets. I could never watch it after that - haven't seen any of the new series. Just wouldn't be the same :(

frock75
09-18-2001, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Eutychus55
Northern Exposure ... the episode where we go back in time and meet Cicely and Rosylyn and learn about the founding of the town. I've seen it a hundred times and the ending never fails to bring me to tears.

The last episode just killed me. Not because of story, but because it was the end of one of my favorite shows.

SmackFu
09-18-2001, 09:21 PM
No one's mentioned Newsradio yet. I was really touched by the first episode after Phil Hartmann was killed. They just all seemed so genuinely sad that it got to me.

Freudian Slit
09-18-2001, 09:43 PM
"All in the Family"- I didn't see when Edith died or when Mike and Gloria left. But there was one episode when this Jewish guy asks Archie to put down some money for this invention, and he dies at the end of the episode. I didn't even know the character that well, but it was just so sad.

I agree with "The Simpsons"- the one with the hockey and when Homer is sad about why his mother left him, but I really like that the show did address her, at least. And Who Shot Mr. Burns- doesn't exactly get me crying, but the whole town sort of uniting is kind of...well, I don't know what.

schemo
09-19-2001, 11:22 AM
The episode of "Cheers" when Diane's cat dies...

And since you mentioned " Six Feet Under", David's Scripture reading (I will not be ashamed...)Not only cried, but ran upstairs while blubbering to attempt to repeat speech to Mom. :)

LifeOnWry
09-19-2001, 11:27 AM
Man, you people are tough. Webster made me cry on more than one occasion.

Anal Scurvy
09-19-2001, 11:53 AM
I watched a few episodes as a kid and they kind of disturbed me, I never really liked them.

Over the last few years I've found that my sensibilites have changed and become so perverse that, when I watched KITH again for the first time, I was actually laughing out loud and enjoying myself. I can't remember the last time I was even amused by a television show, but KITH has come to fit my twisted notions of comedy and even expand them.

One thing that I love about them is they have the best collection of short films I've ever seen.

Another thing is that they go into surrealism so quickly. They don't overtly break the fourth wall and play it for laughs like lesser comedies, they mess around a bit with your head.

A good example is Kevin McDonald calling Dave Foley into his office.

Dave: Yes, Mr. Picklefeather?

Dave laughs at the name. Ignoring him, Kevin goes on to explain that the quality of Dave's writing has been really shitty lately, juvenile even. Dave objects, so Kevin decides to prove his point.

Kevin: We expect a high quality of writing in your skits, here at... (opens his office door to see the name of the company) ... Comedy Inc? (incredulous) That's the best you thought of, Dave?

Dave grins boyishly and Kevin goes onto to explain how base an idea like that is.

Kevin: You've even got me hitting you with pies, Dave! That hasn't been funny in years!

Dave keeps grinning as Kevin takes a pie out of his desk and starts explaining.

Kevin: You see, Dave, teamwork is like a pie....

He goes onto to explain how each fraction of the pie represents something, throwing those fractions at Dave. He saves the last piece for himself. Finally, he sits down at hs desk, having gotten nowhere. He taps impatiently for a long time.

Kevin: You forgot to write an ending, didn't you?

Dave suddenly looks worried. Kevin throws up his hands in disgust and they just stay like that for a very long time.

They used this premise to bookmark the show. At the end of the show, they returned to the two characters.

Clearly much time has passed. They're dishevelled and unkempt, facial hair indicative of time. Kevin is writing a "To whom it may concern" letter.

Kevin: we've eaten the last of the pie and remained hungry for days now. Even little goldie... (empty shot of the goldfish bowl) ... was did not last long.

He goes on with the letter and finally signs off.

Kevin: I love you. Sincerely, ... (he doesn't know his character's first name. He looks at Dave expectantly)

Dave: Beaufort. (then he giggles at the sound of it)

Kevin: (unimpressed) Sincerely, Beaufort Picklefeather. (Dave is laughing loudly now. He's so clever)

See? I loved that skit. I've never seen anything else like it. It was so well done.

And another reason I like them is because there's probably a large group of people out there who hate them and are offended/disgusted by them. They haven't toned themself down to appeal to the widest possible demographic. Great stuff.

Comments?

Anal Scurvy
09-19-2001, 11:58 AM
Can I get a mod to delete the above post? I was writing two responses simultaneously and put them in the wrong place. The kids in the hall one was supposed to be it's own thread. Thank you kindly.

This is the response I meant to put here:

Due South

The two part episode Victoria's Secret really ripped me apart. It was a once in a lifetime experience, everything happened to make that show as traumatic as possible. It was supposed to be a two parter, but CTV played it as a movie so I never lost dramatic tension between the two parts. And it was also supposed to be the last episode, which already had me in a shaky state.

It was beautiful. The writing was the best I've ever seen, far beyond the conventions for a television show. The acting was perfect, it was so spot on that the most minute gesture commanded a world of attention. The director played my heart like an expert, and I still can't hear the piano score from the climax without tearing up.

I cried so hard the first few times I saw it. I've got it on tape and must've watched it nearly a hundred times, and I still get teary all the way through.

JDeMobray
09-19-2001, 12:14 PM
First The West Wing In Excelcis Deo: I got all teared up, but didn't cry during Mrs. Landingham's story about her sons. However, they all came gushing out during the final sequence set to 'The Little Drummer Boy' when she, and Toby go to the funeral for the homeless veteran. Hoo boy. I still get a little choked up just thinking about that episode.

Second Futurama Luck of the Fryish: When the Fry figures out that the Phillip J. Fry buried on the moon isn't his brother, but is his nephew who his brother named after him when Fry disappeared. They play 'Don't You Forget About Me' during a long pull back shot as fry just stands there crying. The only bit of American animation that has ever made me cry as an adult, possibly just because of my relationship with my own brothers.

Musicat
09-19-2001, 12:30 PM
David Letterman on Monday, 09/17/01. With Dan Rather.

More emotional than any sitcom I've ever seen.

dlb
09-19-2001, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Anal Scurvy
Due South

The two part episode Victoria's Secret really ripped me apart. It was a once in a lifetime experience, everything happened to make that show as traumatic as possible. It was supposed to be a two parter, but CTV played it as a movie so I never lost dramatic tension between the two parts. And it was also supposed to be the last episode, which already had me in a shaky state.

It was beautiful. The writing was the best I've ever seen, far beyond the conventions for a television show. The acting was perfect, it was so spot on that the most minute gesture commanded a world of attention. The director played my heart like an expert, and I still can't hear the piano score from the climax without tearing up.

The score was a big part of it; I can't hear it without crying. That score keens. The images were incredible; the long conversation in front of the polar bear tank, with those huge bears looking graceful, almost dancing, swimming down in front of them.

The look in Ray's eyes as he realizes he has shot his best friend. The train pulling out, with her hand extended towards him. Snowflakes.

Yes, Buffy's The Body. TNG's The Inner Light, especially the last scene where Picard is playing the simple tune on the flute as the huge starship rumbles by.

Little things pop out at me, making me unexpectedly teary in the middle of adventure episodes. I remember an old "Simon and Simon", where they were chasing their doubles. Rick gets shot because he can't figure out if the person facing him is his brother or not, and as AJ comes to him and asks why he couldn't shoot, he just whispers above the pain that he couldn't take the risk. AJ then, gently, puts his forehead to his. A single moment, but you can see how much they love each other.

One from my childhood that kills me in retrospect: "It Takes a Thief". Flowers from Alexander, where Laurie, who had been his control the first episode, tricks Al into helping her help a KGB agent with whom she has fallen in love. The KGB agent was setting her up, and she is killed right in front of Mundy. I remember the final scene, where he puts a single rose on her grave. Mind you, I was working on teen age hormones, and this was Senta Berger, but I was gone.

There are more. What can I say; I cry at TV often.

zoogirl
09-20-2001, 01:35 AM
I almost forgot one of the best. Remember the MASH episode where Kelly is trying to get Hawkeye's attention? There's a part where she is nursing a dying soldier. He is no longer really aware of where he is and Kelly lets him think she's his girl from home. They talk about the picnic they will go on and she holds his hand as he dies. This was one of the best acted scenes on MASH. It gets me evey time.

Tsugumo
09-20-2001, 02:25 AM
A couple Highlander episodes...I loved that series, but I haven't seen it in a long time, so I don't even really remember the specifics of the scenes...A few I can remember off the top of my head:

- Tessa (Duncan's girlfriend at the time) is killed in a random mugging...no big boss guy Duncan has to save her from or anything, she's just killed out of the blue. Poor Duncan...

- Charlie dies...can't quite remember, but he gets shot up a bunch by some bad guys and dies after Duncan finally tells him he's immortal and all...

- I can't remember what exactly happened but there's a scene where Duncan is off on his own and makes his own sword somewhere in Scotland and the "Dust in the Wind" song is playing, and I recall that being somewhat sad, heh...

Lots of other parts too, heh...Guess when you have a show about an immortal running around swordfighting, you're going to be watching a lot of people die tragically. :)

Some Fresh Prince episodes also got to me...I liked how the show was generally goofy but occasionally you'd get those really sad ones, like where Carlton buys a gun after Will gets shot and they're in the hospital and junk...

- Tsugumo

Kamino Neko
09-20-2001, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Tsugumo
A couple Highlander episodes...I loved that series, but I haven't seen it in a long time, so I don't even really remember the specifics of the scenes...

Fitz's death got me. And a couple of the flashbacked episodes where he appears after that. And the 'It's a Wonderful Life' riff with Tessa alive, but Ritchie and Mithos evil, and Joe all crippled and stuff. (And Fitz died even earlier. ^__^; )

Ell
09-24-2001, 04:55 AM
the ally mcbeal episode when the little boy dying of cancer tries to sue god. i liked that concept. but it really got me when Ling broke down

sj2
01-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Musicat
David Letterman on Monday, 09/17/01. With Dan Rather.

More emotional than any sitcom I've ever seen.

And the first "The Daily Show" with Jon Stewart after the attack. Christ. Seeing comedians break down gets me everytime.

banks
01-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Nacho4Sara
The saddest, though, is the final one. At the very end, after you know (it's alluded to) that Kevin and Winnie made love for the first time the night before, and then they show up for the Fourth of July parade, and Kevin explains what happens to his family - his dad died, his mom is still the maker-of-mashed-potatoes, and his brother takes over the furniture business. Kevin then waxes poetic on suburban life, and in closing, utters the line that breaks my heart every time:

There was a girl I knew who lived across the street. Brown hair, brown eyes. When she smiled, I smiled. When she cried, I cried. Every single thing that ever happened to me that mattered, in some way had to do with her.

damn damn damn
Now i'm crying in my cubicle, trying to talk on the phone.
I had forgotten about that, 100% forgotten- one of the few TV moments to ever crack the emotionless facade I had built myself in my youth. And damned if if doesn't still jerk some tears.
I don't know whether to thank you or kick you.

Merejane
01-10-2003, 06:40 PM
This is going way back, but it really got to me when I thought Jessica Tate, on the sitcom Soap, had died. As I recall, she was in the hospital, and the last thing you saw, on that last episode of the season, was her heart monitor flat-line. I cried and cried. It was the last show of the season, though, and at the beginning of the next season, they were able to re-start her heart.

ivylass
01-10-2003, 06:59 PM
The scene in Law and Order when Adam Schiff's wife dies. We never see her face, but we see him holding her hand after he signs the termination(?) order.

The doctor flips the switch, the monitor goes beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep and Adam lets out this tiny little whimper that just breaks my heart.

LoN
01-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Many episodes of The Wonder Years, either because i related to Kevin or because i wished I could.... the ep with the girl he meets on the trip, and "Happy Together" played... that made me cry. And the last ep... and the one with Kevin and Winnnie dancing with other people to "Crimson and Clover".... i was such a big fan when it was on Nick at Nite.... my memories are tied up with that show. I want a girl like Winnie...

MaxTheVool
01-10-2003, 07:20 PM
The episode of The Simpsons that I think is the most truly touching is the Thanksgiving episode, where Bart and Lisa meet on the roof at the end.

But the all time most tear-inducing TV show is, without a doubt, My So Called Life. Oh, poor Brian Krakow.

ivylass
01-10-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by LoN
I want a girl like Winnie...

You know Danica McKeller is on The West Wing, now, don't you? She's plays Will Bailey's (half? step?) sister and writes jokes for political speeches.

Her hair is shorter, but she looks exactly the same otherwise.

Baker
01-10-2003, 09:51 PM
"Sleeping in Light" from Babylon 5 made me leak a few tears, but it was another episode that made me bawl, "Passing Through Gethsemane". Brother Edward is lying there dying, all beaten up, and he looks up at his superior and says"I always wanted to know if I'd have the courage to stay in the garden of Gethsemane. Well, now I know Theo, now I know"

Rico
01-11-2003, 12:15 AM
Two that REALLY get me...

The second to last Tonight Show with Johnny Carson where Bette Midler was the last guest, the songs she sang and the song she ad-libbed with Johnny and her last song One For The Road...damn, gets me every time...

The episode of Moonlighting, Blonde on Blonde, where David is finally convinced to tell Maddy of his love for her. He runs to her house in the rain, pounds on the door, yelling at Maddy to answer the door, so he can tell her the news, when another man answers the door (played by Mark Harmon). The music in this scene is David Sanborn and Al Jarreau with the classic Since I Fell For You. I bought the Moonlighting Soundtrack for this song. It's probably the finest rendition of that song available, and the scene with that music really tore me up.

cadolphin
01-11-2003, 01:19 AM
The last episode of M*A*S*H. I get choked up thinking about it and I refuse to watch it again.

digitalskeeza
01-11-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by JDeMobray
Second Futurama Luck of the Fryish: When the Fry figures out that the Phillip J. Fry buried on the moon isn't his brother, but is his nephew who his brother named after him when Fry disappeared. They play 'Don't You Forget About Me' during a long pull back shot as fry just stands there crying. The only bit of American animation that has ever made me cry as an adult, possibly just because of my relationship with my own brothers. [/B]

How about Jurassic Bark, the one where they find Fry's fossilized dog, and are about to clone him? Fry finds out the dog lived to be 15 (Fry was frozen when the dog was 3), and decides not to clone him, as the dog lived a full life, and must've forgotten all about him.
We then see that the dog not only tried to rescue Fry from his frozen state, but faithfully waited for Fry to return, laying on the sidewalk in front of the pizza parlor where he worked for twelve years, until the poor dog died WAAAH!

bouv
01-11-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by digitalskeeza
How about Jurassic Bark, the one where they find Fry's fossilized dog, and are about to clone him? Fry finds out the dog lived to be 15 (Fry was frozen when the dog was 3), and decides not to clone him, as the dog lived a full life, and must've forgotten all about him.
We then see that the dog not only tried to rescue Fry from his frozen state, but faithfully waited for Fry to return, laying on the sidewalk in front of the pizza parlor where he worked for twelve years, until the poor dog died WAAAH!

I was just going to mention that. And that sappy song they play doesn't help none, either. And Mr. Panucci trying to give the dog food, and the place falling apart around him but still the dog stays in one spot. My GF and I watched it, and I didn't cry (yoiu know, being a manly man and all) but I was certainly ready to, and she was bawling everywhere.

Another episode of Futurama that almost got me and got my GF was the one where Leela finds her parents. At the end she cries in her parents arms and it does this montage with little times when her parents gave her birthday presents, or tucked her in when sleeping, always making sure not to be seen. Kinda sad in that happy way.

bouv
01-11-2003, 10:21 AM
Ooh oh! I thought of another Futurama! It's less sad, but it's "Time Keeps on Slipping." Time jumps cause the universe to skip ahead days or weeks at a time, without anyone remembering what they did in that tme. Fry ends up at a wedding with Leela. She insists he tricked her. At the end, we see that fry moved the stars in some galaxy to spell out 'I love you.' Then Leela uses a black hole device to stop the time skips and the stars get sucked in. Fry screams out, and when Leela asks what's wrong, he just calmy says, "nothing."

I feel so bad for that guy! Will that one-eyed freak ever acknowledge his love? (Probably not, since the series is over.)

Loneraven
01-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Anyone else tearing up just reading about all these moments?!

Ben's birth on Friends, the montage at the end of Seinfeld, Michael J. Fox leaving Spin City, Henry Blake's death on M*A*S*H...

crinklebat
01-12-2003, 01:38 AM
I cry a lot. Just about every movie I see makes me cry. I think, for example, I cried during just about every episode of X-Files mentioned here. Also, I had several actual tantrums during the last season of X-Files because I was so frustrated that they were ignoring Mulder and frustrated by the generally terrible scripts and plots. Heh.

I'd sit in my room after every episode, sobbing to a Mulder action figure. Yeah, pretty nuts.

I also cried at the end of Seinfeld. Bloody Greenday song is used for every single sad parting in the universe now. I know they'll play it at my stupid graduation and am really not looking forward to it.