PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on this resume/job scam.

QuickSilver
09-12-2017, 12:56 PM
Get a call from what's obviously an off-shore recruiter. They found my resume on one of the job boards and would like to submit me to their client in my area for a job that is a very good fit for my skill set.

Once we get past the minor language barrier and the so-so voice connection, we get down to the meat of it: Job description and rate.

My b.s. radar is pinging but I'm seeing where this is going to go and quote a rate I know is well above the going rate for the job description. The recruiter agrees without so much as a pause and says he will submit me if I send him my most current resume.

So, I'm still convinced it's b.s. but I send him my resume in pdf format, no PII except my phone number, which he already has because he called me.

Now, I know I'm unlikely to hear back. But I can't quite understand the game here? If all he wants is my resume, he can just get it from the job board where he already found it. Why contact me at all? What's the scam exactly?

Chronos
09-12-2017, 02:10 PM
There's no scam... yet. But next week, he's probably going to call you back to say that it's a done deal, oh, except you'll just need to pay these processing fees to get some trivial piece of paperwork through, don't worry about it, everyone always has to do that.

Mr. Bill
09-12-2017, 02:12 PM
While I can't say for sure, my guess would be that it is one of the "payment processing" scams where you use your bank account to deposit fake checks (unknowingly of course) then send them most of the supposed money by other channels.

The request for your resume is simply the first step in seeing if you are gullible enough to be duped. The folks running these types of scams may be having to be a bit more circumspect due to law enforcement interest.

QuickSilver
09-12-2017, 02:36 PM
There has to be something else to this than some amateur Nigerian type money scam. That or they are the most incompetent staffing firms on the face of the earth submitting me to their customer at twice the current market rate. BTW, I looked at their web site. Legit at first glance, phone being answered, local address, etc... But the guy calling me is showing up from out of state and the connection is dropping half of what he's saying. Another red flag is that a couple of the links on their web site throw up a browser malware security warning.

I've been in the consulting game for more years than I care to mention and can usually tell when something is legit or a lie. But I'm intrigued here by either the sheer gall or incompetence, don't quite know which.

lost4life
09-12-2017, 03:02 PM
It may not be a scam, mostly. Over the years I have gotten tons of calls from overseas recruiters (mostly India). I have followed through on some and have gotten interviews. How I think it works is that they work in a call center for probably pennies, and they scour online resumes for possible matches for open positions. If they manage to hook you up, either the company pays them a finders fee, or they act as the contractor. The initial contact usually has pretty poor English skills (I often hear the word as Rez-Oom instead of Resume'). If you're interested, you get passed onto someone higher up the ladder who has more knowledge about the position and situation. Typically they want you to send an email stating that they are representing you for this position.
If there is a position in my town that I am a good match, my phone will ring off the hook. Not just from overseas, but US based contract companies.

So basically, a foreign call center makes thousands of phone calls hoping to find a needle in a haystack and match someone up with a job. For some reason, the ones who contact me seem to have a lot of State jobs.

I can't speak for your specific contact, but they never asked me for money or personal information beyond what was on my resume, which they already had.

TruCelt
09-12-2017, 03:12 PM
I haven't heard of this in a while, but there used to be what we called "Monster Mavens." Basically they spent their days on Monster.com searching resumes and trying to match them to jobs. Then they represented themselves as employment recruiters and submitted you for the position. Often the same positions for which you were submitting yourself.

If you got the job, then they'd go back and demand the finder's fee from the hiring company. Many people never knew that a recruiter had been paid when they were hired.

Some of them were grey market firms which did in fact have existing contracts to recruit for these companies, But they were accomplishing nothing more than what a responsible job hunter was already doing. If they submitted your resume before you did, then they were technically entitled to payment. Now, they get nailed unless they have your permission to submit you, so they;ll generally e-mail you first.

If you want to use them, be sure to be very specific regarding the company and Job opening # for which you are giving them permission to submit you. Otherwise, they can take it as a broader approval and claim the right to collect even if you find something else through your own efforts.

QuickSilver
09-12-2017, 03:25 PM
It may not be a scam, mostly. Over the years I have gotten tons of calls from overseas recruiters (mostly India). I have followed through on some and have gotten interviews. How I think it works is that they work in a call center for probably pennies, and they scour online resumes for possible matches for open positions. If they manage to hook you up, either the company pays them a finders fee, or they act as the contractor. The initial contact usually has pretty poor English skills (I often hear the word as Rez-Oom instead of Resume'). If you're interested, you get passed onto someone higher up the ladder who has more knowledge about the position and situation. Typically they want you to send an email stating that they are representing you for this position.
If there is a position in my town that I am a good match, my phone will ring off the hook. Not just from overseas, but US based contract companies.

So basically, a foreign call center makes thousands of phone calls hoping to find a needle in a haystack and match someone up with a job. For some reason, the ones who contact me seem to have a lot of State jobs.

I can't speak for your specific contact, but they never asked me for money or personal information beyond what was on my resume, which they already had.

The above has been my experience as well, and the rates are usually an insult to anybody with the required experience. This seems surprisingly different with respect to rates. Which led to my suspicion.

Chronos
09-12-2017, 04:19 PM
The "recruiter" OKed your proposed (too high) rate, because they don't care if you get paid a lot. The actual company with the job, however, is likely to have something very different to say.

Lemur866
09-12-2017, 04:33 PM
The "scam" probably is just that this guy is trying to make some numbers, he either gets paid on some commission or has a quota he has to meet. If you do get a call back for the actual company they'll have a take-it-or-leave-it rate, and the rate you quoted to him won't matter one bit.