PDA

View Full Version : jpeg to pdf converter?

Hari Seldon
09-13-2017, 05:15 PM
If I google my question, I get at least a half dozen converters. Trouble is I don't trust something that just comes on google and I am hoping some doper can point me to a safe one. I've not gone wrong with things that are recommended on the Dope.

beowulff
09-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Can I ask why you would want such a thing?

Wolf333
09-13-2017, 05:32 PM
I've used ilovepdf quite a few times. Nothing to install, very simple and clean.

Oukile
09-13-2017, 05:38 PM
Faststone image viewer (http://www.faststone.org/) can do that. And it can do quite a bit of image processing and work in batch.

ZonexandScout
09-13-2017, 05:46 PM
IrfanView will also save images to PDF, though you should make sure that the options (including security) for the PDF are what you want.

In my opinion, a better option is to load a PDF utility that is selectable as a "Print" option. This allows you to save just about any file as a PDF, regardless of source or type. There are several open source options.

BuckChongo
09-13-2017, 05:49 PM
I have a CAD program that sometimes requires me to convert JPEG to PDF, I use Adobe Reader, you pay a little to use their converter but you can trust it not to bomb you with malware.

Darren Garrison
09-13-2017, 05:53 PM
PDFCreator (http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator) is a good one. Lets you "print" anything to PDF, and adds a right-click menu item--you could highlight a series of PDFs then save them as a PDF.

DPRK
09-13-2017, 06:03 PM
sam2p (https://github.com/pts/sam2p/releases)

ETA: is a converter; should produce small output files

pulykamell
09-13-2017, 06:09 PM
If I google my question, I get at least a half dozen converters. Trouble is I don't trust something that just comes on google and I am hoping some doper can point me to a safe one. I've not gone wrong with things that are recommended on the Dope.

If you're on Mac, you can always "print as PDF." If you're on Windows, does Windows not have similar functionality?

Kyrie Eleison
09-13-2017, 06:34 PM
If you're on Mac, you can always "print as PDF." If you're on Windows, does Windows not have similar functionality?
Nope, not by default, but there are both free and paid software packages that will add it, and some OEMs (HP for one) will include something in their Windows installation to add it.

Regarding the OP's question, for me, the answer to almost any question discussing converting images is ImageMagick (https://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php). It's a set of command-line utilities, so it's not for everyone. But it's a very powerful set of tools, and converting a jpeg to a PDF is as easy as installing it and typing "convert file.jpg file.pdf".

Kyrie Eleison
09-13-2017, 07:13 PM
After posting, I started poking around the ImageMagick site. It looks like someone decided that it needed a redesign, and the command to convert a jpeg to a PDF is now "magick file.jpg file.pdf"

If you try it, you may want to install the legacy version (https://legacy.imagemagick.org/script/index.php) instead. I have to think that most of the example uses you'll find on the web will be for the older version.

09-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Nope, not by default, but there are both free and paid software packages that will add it, and some OEMs (HP for one) will include something in their Windows installation to add it.

Regarding the OP's question, for me, the answer to almost any question discussing converting images is ImageMagick (https://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php). It's a set of command-line utilities, so it's not for everyone. But it's a very powerful set of tools, and converting a jpeg to a PDF is as easy as installing it and typing "convert file.jpg file.pdf".

What? It's not 2005 anymore. Windows 10 comes with a PDF printer built in called "Microsoft Print to PDF". Just open up the JPEG and hit print and there you go, you have a PDF.

No third-party tool, command-line or otherwise, needed.

SanDiegoTim
09-13-2017, 10:40 PM
What about converting a PDF into a jpeg?

09-13-2017, 10:44 PM
What about converting a PDF into a jpeg?

Take a screenshot. Or if you have Acrobat, just go to export.

There also a bunch of free online services. just google it.

like http://pdftoimage.com/

thelurkinghorror
09-13-2017, 11:28 PM
I use Nitro PDF for printing to PDF. Shareware but it doens't have a nag screen or anything.

I haven't Irfanview for this purpose, but it is otherwise a spectacular program.

I support anything that avoids giving Adobe money, though.

Isilder
09-13-2017, 11:29 PM
Modern word processes and publisher software can save straight to PDF.

gazpacho
09-14-2017, 12:47 AM
Modern word processes and publisher software can save straight to PDF.This is a function of modern operating systems. Both windows and mac have had print to pdf printer drivers for years.

scr4
09-14-2017, 06:49 AM
This is a function of modern operating systems. Both windows and mac have had print to pdf printer drivers for years.

Modern word processors, publisher software etc usually have a separate "export to PDF" or "save as PDF" function. I've noticed that PowerPoint slides often look better if you use "Save As" and select PDF than if you use "Print" and select the PDF.

Hari Seldon
09-14-2017, 07:58 AM
:smack:If you're on Mac, you can always "print as PDF." If you're on Windows, does Windows not have similar functionality?

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/images/smilies/smack.gif D'oh. Of course it does. Why didn't I think of that?

To answer a question upthread, my scanner produces jpeg files and I was asked to sign and scan an agreement and return it in pdf.

DPRK
09-14-2017, 09:55 AM
Some reasons to use a specialized converter program instead of a "print to PDF" function would be for batch processing, or if the latter screwed up your output in subtle and odd ways, or did not correctly support specific standards and settings like PDF/A or PDF/X that you needed for some reason.

Since none of these apply to you, you should be fine using the built-in utility. In fact, your situation is tailor-made for the print-to-PDF driver.

Chronos
09-14-2017, 02:57 PM
How did you get the document in the first place? Would it be possible to just leave it on the computer and sign it electronically, with no printing needed?

Kyrie Eleison
09-14-2017, 06:34 PM
What? It's not 2005 anymore. Windows 10 comes with a PDF printer built in called "Microsoft Print to PDF". Just open up the JPEG and hit print and there you go, you have a PDF.

No third-party tool, command-line or otherwise, needed.

You fancy Windows 10 people. I should have mentioned that I'm stuck in the land of Windows 7 & 8.1.

09-14-2017, 11:26 PM
You fancy Windows 10 people. I should have mentioned that I'm stuck in the land of Windows 7 & 8.1.

Oh, I'd trade a PDF printer for Windows 7 any day. I hate 10. I just don't want to deal with the upgrade nags...

Hari Seldon
09-15-2017, 07:40 AM
How did you get the document in the first place? Would it be possible to just leave it on the computer and sign it electronically, with no printing needed?

It was emailed to me as a three page pdf. I printed it, filled in some details and signed it. They wanted it back as a pdf. My scanner produced three separate jpeg file. There were a couple other output formats, but not pdf. Taking the suggestion above to print to pdf, I produced three pdf files. Then I was able to put them together (using Latex) into one three page document that I was able to email back.

DPRK
09-15-2017, 08:24 AM
It is certainly possible to doodle directly on a PDF document, but one would need one of those electronic-stylus tablets or to do it using the mouse. Lacking that, one could scan a written signature and paste that onto the PDF.

Which brings me to my hijack: how can an electronic image of a signature be considered official? It is trivial to duplicate. A physical piece of paper signed with indelible blue-black ink presents at least some small barrier to forgery.

Chronos
09-15-2017, 08:36 AM
In Preview, on a Mac, there's a nice little feature for signing PDFs without printing them. You sign a random piece of paper and hold it up to the computer's camera, and it takes a picture of it and stores it. From then on, you can sign anything with just a few clicks to insert that picture onto a line. This is far superior to printing and re-scanning, because the text is still text (which can be searched and so on, and which takes up only a very small amount of space).

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a tool for this on PC, too, but I don't know what it is.

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
09-16-2017, 06:18 PM
If you're on Windows 10 you should be able to print just about anything to PDF.

Tim R. Mortiss
09-16-2017, 06:26 PM

You are of course wise not to trust random Google search results regarding downloadable software. But I usually do my searches for free software at Download.com, which is owned by CNet, or at least affiliated with them. I've never had a problem with software I've downloaded from them.

thelurkinghorror
09-16-2017, 06:34 PM
For a lot of pdf work, there are websites that let you upload and work on them without downloading files. With the caveat that I wouldn't upload anything sensitive.

09-16-2017, 10:44 PM
You are of course wise not to trust random Google search results regarding downloadable software. But I usually do my searches for free software at Download.com, which is owned by CNet, or at least affiliated with them. I've never had a problem with software I've downloaded from them.

A long time ago they were trustworthy, but they've been caught secretly installing adware onto unsuspecting users' computers:

https://boingboing.net/2011/12/10/cnets-download-com-secretly.html

https://www.securemac.com/security-advisory/cnets-download-com-adware-installer-bundled-with-popular-apps-advisory

As of 2016 they've supposedly stopped the practice, but who knows what other nefarious crap they're willing to try? Fool me once...