PDA

View Full Version : You saw "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". What did you "catch" in the film? SPOI

23skidoo
08-25-2001, 09:45 PM
Kevin Smith must like "Land of the Lost" alot to name Will Ferrell's character "Marshall Willenholly" and Chris Rock's character "Chaka".

In a scene on the studio lot, you can see a green awning that says "BUNGALO", but you can only see the first four letters clearly... "B...U...N...Hey!

In a scene on the set of "Good Will Hunting 2", you can see a pink neon sign that says "COCKTAIL", but you can only see the first four letters clearly... "C...O...C...Hey!

I know I must be missing quite a few more. Anyone else find something neat?

Montfort
08-25-2001, 10:21 PM
The silent member (well, mostly) of the jewel thief babe-a-thon was played by Kevin Smith's wife, Jennifer.

Their daughter played little Silent Bob in the prologue.

The Potzer, Inc. reference to Chasing Amy that I mentioned in this thread (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=83681).

Kaitlyn
08-25-2001, 10:30 PM
My movie geek friends have been telling me for months how great Kevin Smith movies are, so I finally broke down and went to see this one with them last night. My reaction was eh. Competent filmmaking, nothing specatatular, nothing that tells me I should go back and see the others. Friends are going back tonight. I saw nothing worth revisiting.

andygirl
08-25-2001, 10:38 PM
In the Scooby Doo scene, "Freddy" was played by Marc Blucas. He was Sarah Michelle Gellar's love interest on Buffy... and she is going to play Daphne.

Did you stay all the way to the very end with Alanis Morissette and the Gay Disclaimer?

Montfort
08-25-2001, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by andygirl
Did you stay all the way to the very end with Alanis Morissette and the Gay Disclaimer?
No. :( I usually do stay for the credits, but for some reason I didn't today. There really even wasn't an overwhelming urge to go to the bathroom.

I guess I'll have to go and see it again...

bouv
08-25-2001, 11:43 PM
I loved the movie, I feel that it was his best to date, in terms of comedic value.
I caught the not-so-obvious Star Wars references (i.e.: NOT the bong-saber duel.), the Smokey and the Bandit reference, but I didn't see the Jaws reference (aside from Brodie.)

All in all, good un-clean family fun.

Robot Arm
08-26-2001, 12:50 AM
No Julie Dwyer reference.

The shutters at the Quick Stop are still closed. "Bunch of savages in this town."

MilTan
08-26-2001, 01:20 AM
So I caught something (and immediately pointed out to my friends) that it seemed no one else in the theater did. When Jay and Silent Bob are in the animal testing facility, there is a big warning sign on the wall next to the animal tranquilizer.

It looks like those warning cards that you find in airline pockets (it's even labeled B 737-300/500, an apparent nod to the Boeing 737). It has little cartoon representations of various actions to take. However, the action that is depicted by the first row of panels (the only one I got a good look at) is "Inserting brain plug," and the pictures show someone taking a hammer to a monkey's head.

Well, at least I thought it was funny.

seriousart
08-26-2001, 01:43 AM

Damn it, no. I had heard about the disclaimer, what was the Alanis thing?

kasuo
08-26-2001, 01:45 AM
- When the girls are partying the day after the heist, they have a banner that says, "37th Heist". - Clerks

- "Snoogans?" - Mallrats/Chasing Amy

- "You're a tracer." - Chasing Amy

- "Make like a circus seal." - Clerks

And so many more.

Jack Batty
08-26-2001, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Montfort
No. :( I usually do stay for the credits, but for some reason I didn't today. There really even wasn't an overwhelming urge to go to the bathroom.

I guess I'll have to go and see it again...
I've been embarrassed to be in the Jay and Silent Bob threads because I did the same thing.

I am a huge Kevin Smith fan, and I just flaked. I'll go see it again.

For the record my take: I loved most of it. I think Mewes has come a long way since Clerks. I thought the Hollywood scenes were a little too goofy. Maybe this is what he was going for -- making fun of Hollywood schlockiness -- instead he just came off looking schlocky.

But I recommend it. Kevin Smith is the man. Anyone who has risen in movie making like him -- writing, directing and financing his own stuff on a wing and a prayer and coming out smelling like a rose -- is OK in my book.

fippo
08-26-2001, 05:43 AM
When Jay and Silent Bob are being chased by security through the studio back lot, they bust through a crowd. (I think this is right before the get the bike.) If you're fast, you can see one of the guys in the crowd is dressed like DareDevil. In case you don't know, Kevin Smith wrote DD for Marvel's Knights series.
Also, the scene for the Bluntman & Chronic movie being shot is Scene 37.

Geek Mecha
08-26-2001, 08:25 AM
I've seen it twice. Definitely stay for the credits. If you're a speedy reader, you can read all the hilarious thank-yous at the end. The "No animals were harmed..." fine print's funny, too.

Alanis appeared at the end, holding a brown leather book emblazoned "Askewniverse". She then dances around a bit. It's a short, cute scene.

According to IMDb (http://us.imdb.com/Credits?0261392), Adam Carolla (of Loveline fame) was in the movie, as "Unknown". Did anyone see him? What scene was he in?

pldennison
08-26-2001, 09:35 AM
Among the "Thank yous" at the end were two that really made me laugh:

AFFLECK -- Once more into the breach, dear friend.

MATTY -- For charging less than the breach guy.

Just to show what a Smith geek I am, during the Hollywood chase scene, I turned to Leigh-Anne and said, "Wow, this far into the movie and we haven't seen Walter and Steve-Dave yet."

Kyuzo
08-26-2001, 09:45 AM
The chase through the Miramax move lot contained several references to Pee-Wee running through the movie lot in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

I thought it was hilarious when James van der Beek tells Jason Biggs: "You wouldn't last a day in the Creek."

andygirl
08-26-2001, 11:24 AM
Alanis and the Gay Disclaimer are independent events.

Basically, Smith got flack for the "anti-gay" language of the film from a gay group and added a disclaimer at the end saying that homophobes were dumb.

By the way, the Scooby joke is also more funny when you realize that the guy who is playing Freddy in the movie is Freddie Prinz Jr., Gellar's boyfriend.

Also, Daredevil is in the chase scene. Smith has written some Daredevil comics. The editor of Marvel (who has written for Daredevil and who Smith has worked with quite a bit) played the pizza delivery guy.

Jester
08-26-2001, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Number Six
My movie geek friends have been telling me for months how great Kevin Smith movies are, so I finally broke down and went to see this one with them last night. My reaction was eh. Competent filmmaking, nothing specatatular, nothing that tells me I should go back and see the others. Friends are going back tonight. I saw nothing worth revisiting.

Ah, but there's your problem, Six. You can't even begin to appreciat "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" for what it is until you have seen the other movies. Almost all of the major gags in the movies were based off of tie-ins to Smith's other movies, sort of inside jokes for those who have seen them. I can certainly understand how someone who hadn't seen "Clerks," "Mallrats" or "Chasing Amy" (not so much "Dogma") would not think of "Jay and Silent Bob" as anything special, because you would have missed most of the jokes. My advice: watch the other movies, then watch "Jay and Silent Bob" again. I'm almost sure that you'll like it better.

Mahaloth
08-26-2001, 06:55 PM
1. When the guys are in the comic store talking to Brodie, there is an enlarged Variety newspaper in the background that says, "Brodie Bolts."

At the end of Mall Rats, it says Brodie went on to host the Tonight Show. Why is he in the comic store? He bolted.

2. Jay called God a she.

3. The references to Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. And Kevin Smith was mad at Tim Burton for stealing a scene from one of his works? The fake alley-way Jay and Bob run into is identical to the one in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure(a Tim Burton film).

4. You can see the dude from Mall Rats still staring at the 3-d picture outside the movie theater.

5. Shannon Elizabeth's husband(or boyfriend) plays the assistant to Chris Rock.

There were more, but I forgot. I saw it awhile ago.

Montfort
08-26-2001, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Mahaloth
4. You can see the dude from Mall Rats still staring at the 3-d picture outside the movie theater.
Wasn't this the Clerks Willam (Scott Mosier, aka the producer/uncreative half of View Askiew), and not the Mallrats Willam (Ethan Suplee), though?

Dragonblink
08-26-2001, 07:54 PM
The movie made a big deal about Mark Hamill, but I was the one in the audience who said "Hey, that nun is Carrie Fisher!" (blank look from my friends) "You know, Princess Leia?"

But nobody mentioned the chick who died doing laps ...

voguevixen
08-26-2001, 08:00 PM
13. The references to Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. And Kevin Smith was mad at Tim Burton for stealing a scene from one of his works?

Actually, the reason Smith is mad at Burton is because when Burton was named the director of Superman Lives he gave the thumbs down to the script Smith had written, which was the only one anyone liked at the time. So now no script at all pretty much. It's possible the Pee-Wee scenes were a tribute to PEE-WEE you know! ;)

You guys are catching some good ones, I gotta see it again for sure. (I missed too much the first time because the friend I went with bought me a bucket sized soda, against all my protests, so guess where I ended up every 20 minutes? :rolleyes: )

drm
08-26-2001, 08:04 PM
When they are in the nuns car, "Buddy Christ" is on the dashboard (Dogma).

I don't remember if this was mentioned but the orangutan was named Suzanna like in Mallrats

Slacker
08-26-2001, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Montfort
Wasn't this the Clerks Willam (Scott Mosier, aka the producer/uncreative half of View Askiew), and not the Mallrats Willam (Ethan Suplee), though?

Correct. That dude's also the producer.

Slacker
08-26-2001, 10:46 PM
another one I caught:

Jay was wearing a "Bezerker" shirt. Remember that dude from Clerks?

Kaitlyn
08-26-2001, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Jester

Ah, but there's your problem, Six. You can't even begin to appreciat "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" for what it is until you have seen the other movies. Almost all of the major gags in the movies were based off of tie-ins to Smith's other movies, sort of inside jokes for those who have seen them. I can certainly understand how someone who hadn't seen "Clerks," "Mallrats" or "Chasing Amy" (not so much "Dogma") would not think of "Jay and Silent Bob" as anything special, because you would have missed most of the jokes. My advice: watch the other movies, then watch "Jay and Silent Bob" again. I'm almost sure that you'll like it better.

That explains it. If most of the big jokes are references to other movies, this movie would seem to be aimed squarely at Kevin Smith fans. As I am not in that group, I would have been better off elsewhere.

My movie geek friends (this is not meant as an insult; I consider myself a movie geek) had already made the suggestion that I go back and see the other movies. Ain't gonna happen. I'm not going to watch three movies just so that I can go back to a movie I didn't much care for the first time and appreciate it more.

IMO, a movie should be good on it's own terms. Strange Brew is funny even if you know nothing about Hamlet, but it's a lot funnier if you know the play and can pick out the references. I'm not saying that Jay and Bob is bad, but it should come with a "For those who've seen the other Kevin Smith films only" warning.

By the way, is this a sequel? My friends who recommended it said it isn't, but it sure felt like one.

silent_rob
08-29-2001, 03:27 AM
I've seen it twice and loved it. I was fortunate enough to have seen it those two days in a row. A mini-poster on the way to me. :D
Number Six, it's not technically a sequel, as it's a story separate from the other films. However, the main plot is a take off of some stuff that happens in Chasing Amy.
It's very true that fans of Kevin Smith's other films (or people that have at least seen them) will get a lot more out of it. But that's not the reason you should go back and watch Clerks, Chasing Amy, and Dogma...you should watch them because they're really great movies. Though some might not like Mallrats as much, it's pretty funny, too.

The things I caught:
-The poster whose SN is "MagnoliaFan" is a reference to Kevin Smith's long-time feud with writer/director P. T. Anderson
-There's a Buddy Christ statue (from Dogma) on Carrie Fisher's dashboard
-Jay also wears a Quick-Stop "uniform"
-Steve-Dave wears the Mallrats t-shirt he wore in the original openning of Chasing Amy (and Steve-Dave wears the oh-so-sweet hockey jersey that I own as well)
-When Jay & Silent Bob are running through the backlots there is a guy in a Daredevil suit that gets knocked over
-"Ratface", who is the production designer for this and other View Askew flicks, reprises the role of the cop he had in Dogma when he arrests Jay & Silent Bob. In Dogma, he was the guy that got his neck snapped.
-The article behind the counter of Brodie's comic shop shows him hosting the Tonight Show (from Mallrats)
-Trish the Dish from Mallrats talks to Alyssa from Chasing Amy about why they didn't make a Chasing Amy movie
-Dante and Randal getting married might be a reference to an episode of Clerks: The Animated Series, where it showed them getting married
-Banky talking about how he doesn't kiss guys ("Despite what you may have heard...") is a reference to Chasing Amy
-Affleck & Damon's line about doing a movie because your friend says you owe them is, I think, a reference to them not thanking Kevin in their Academy Awards thank you speech (Kevin & Scott exec-produced Good Will Hunting and were instrumental in getting it made)
-Holden's greeting to Jay & Bob was Jay's greeting to him in Chasing Amy
-Brodie's stink-palm is from Mallrats (pretty obvious reference, but one all the same)
-There were the characters from Reservoir Dogs walking through the backlots
-Scott Mosier was also the AD for Good Will Hunting 2 (the guy who says "Just react, don't say anything. Especially you.")
-The Utility Belt from Mallrats is used again
-Jay's line "Flea fat-ass, flea!" is a take-off on his line from Mallrats: "Fly fat-ass, fly!"
-All of the Mooby stuff (like the kid's Pat-Pat hat and such) references Dogma
-The Starwars references: the "Griedo shooting first" line and Mark Hamill's lines about fighting a Jedi and "Not again..." to getting his hand cut off (besides the fact that it was Mark Hamill)
-Jay's "Hetero life-partner" line is also from Dogma
-Wes Craven makes a cameo, which is returning a favor for Jay & Silent Bob's cameo in Scream 3
-Judd Nelson plays the sheriff; he was cast partially (if not mainly) because of the references to John Hughs's movies in Dogma

Well, that's all I can think of for now. Dang...and that's a lot of them.

Geek Mecha
08-29-2001, 04:02 AM
I knew rob was gonna come in here and kick ass. :D

SPOOFE
08-29-2001, 04:24 AM
I can't believe nobody mentioned my favorite half-reference...

Just after the "escape from the diner" scene... when Jay, Silent Bob, and Suzanne dive into the sewer opening, that was very reminiscent of the "escape from the detention block" scene in Star Wars.

Or maybe I'm just seeing things. I coulda SWORN I saw a Star Destroyer in the background... :D

Osip
08-29-2001, 07:15 AM
Just saw it last night.
I personally liked the scene where everyone is coming out of the movie. Some of the lines are priceless.

I have to say after watching all his other movies repeatedly on DVD I found J&SBSB FANfuckingTASTIC!!

It was the first movie in a long time I have seen that I walked out of at the end and felt Good!

Then again, after American Pie 2 (which was a good movie) I had a great urge to take a long walk in a field with a revolver and a bottle of whiskey.

Gonna have to see it again and you can bet good money I will purchase it on DVD when availible!

Osip

pldennison
08-29-2001, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by silent_rob
-"Ratface", who is the production designer for this and other View Askew flicks, reprises the role of the cop he had in Dogma when he arrests Jay & Silent Bob. In Dogma, he was the guy that got his neck snapped.

Are you sure that was Ratface? It looked to me like Ernie O'Donnell, who played Rick Derris in Clerks.

Sealemon88
08-29-2001, 07:51 AM
This movie kicked ass. Plain and simple.

Yes, it's aimed at Kevin smith fans, though. This is a strength and a weakness of the movie, as those who've never ever heared of Clerks or Chasing Amy are gonna find themselves scratching their heads through a lot of the film.

Captain Obvious sez: The scene in the pipe where the monkey pulls Jay And Silent Bob over the edge to escape arrest is a parody of The Fugitive.

Montfort: I thought Smith was dating/engaged to the blond from Chaising amy. I need to catch up on my gossip. :(

PolishSausage
08-29-2001, 08:36 AM
silent_rob, truly kick ass. A quick note, to expand on the Judd Nelson thing. Not onlt do they mention John Hughs's movies in Dogma, but Jay and Silent Bob also single out Judd's character.

Montfort
08-29-2001, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Sealemon88
Montfort: I thought Smith was dating/engaged to the blond from Chaising amy. I need to catch up on my gossip. :(
Nah, they broke up soon after the release of Chasing Amy. I think. That's why Joey Lauren Adams wasn't in Dogma and only had a cameo appearance in J&SBSB.

edwino
08-29-2001, 08:57 AM
A few more:

When they go visit Affleck-as-Mallrats character in the beginning, they visit the Internet Poop Shoot movie site. This looks exactly like http://www.aintitcool.com. Apparently they talk jack about Kevin Smith at that site and it has irked (or amused or whatever) Kevin Smith in the past. Also, when Affleck describes the Internet to him, his speech is somewhat reminiscent of Obi Wan's speech about the force. Affleck says something along the lines of "The Internet is a worldwide network which binds together computers..." and Obi Wan says "The force is an energy field which binds together all living things." Then again, I may be hallucinating. Also, I did think the dive into the sewers thing was reminiscent of Star Wars.

Also, they poke fun at many Affleck movies (Phantoms, , [i]Forces of Nature) which were all I think made by Miramax.

Tars Tarkas
08-29-2001, 09:34 AM
Trish the Dish from Mallrats talks to Alyssa from Chasing Amy about why they didn't make a Chasing Amy movie

They went together because they are sisters (Trisha Jones and Alyssa Jones). There third sister, Heather, was in Clerks and went to the beach with Rick Darris.

Brood McEto
08-29-2001, 09:38 AM
I have to agree that this movie was really funny. Yes, you get more out of it if you have actually seen the other four movies, but it's not necessary. My fiancée had only seen Dogma and Mallrats (in that order) previously to seeing this one. She's never seen Clerks, and we saw Chasing Amy afterwards. She didn't get a lot of the Smith references, but she agreed that it was a very funny film. There was plenty of sight gags and off color humor to keep you laughing, even if you had never heard of Jay and Silent Bob.

I plan on buying this movie when it comes out on DVD. I'd love to get Clerks on DVD, but at the local Best Buy and Hastings it is about $35 (as is Blues Brothers) and I can't figure this out. Anyone got an idea?

Brood McEto
08-29-2001, 09:41 AM
Tars, I just saw Chasing Amy and Alyssa said that her 'Friend' had sex with a dead guy, not her sister. Unless I'm not thinking of the right Clerks girl.

Phoebestar
08-29-2001, 10:24 AM
... to this thread, that is.

I think alot of the stuff that's mentioned as "references" to Smith's other movies are not so much references as part of the View Askew Universe that they live in, if that makes sense.

Oh, and the "Magnolia Fan" bit.. it did arise from Smith's differences with PT Anderson's stuff, but more directly, over the controversy that arose on his WWW board (which I read regularly) after Magnolia was released. He didn't like it, and a bunch of Anderson supporters logged onto his board and bashed him. It was really great to see so much of the WWW board stuff make it into the movie.

Jack Batty
08-29-2001, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by edwino
A few more:

When they go visit Affleck-as-Mallrats character in the beginning, they visit the Internet Poop Shoot movie site. This looks exactly like http://www.aintitcool.com.
Actually, Affleck was reprising his Chasing Amy character, Holden, not his Mallrats character, Shannen.

Also, has anybody visited Viewaskew.com (http://www.viewaskew.com/) lately? There is an angry note from Kevin Smith talking about these "fuckers at Movie Poop Shoot.com" or something like that. He provides a link, and when you go there it looks just like the message board site they were looking at in the movie, with all the same message titles and everything. But the links on the message board lead you to clips from the movie.

It is somewhat humorous, but then I probably just ruined it for everybody. Ooops.

friedo
08-29-2001, 01:08 PM
"Provasic" is the name of the drug in The Fugitive that led to Dr. Kimble being wronlgy convicted.

Tars Tarkas
08-29-2001, 01:20 PM
Tars, I just saw Chasing Amy and Alyssa said that her 'Friend' had sex with a dead guy, not her sister. Unless I'm not thinking of the right Clerks girl.

That's Caitlien Briee(sp?), Dante's ex, who also had sex with Rick Darris, but in high school. Heather Jones was the girl who thought Dante was out of shape when he was getting the ticket for selling cigarettes to a four year old.

Drastic
08-29-2001, 01:33 PM
One thing I noticed that hasn't been mentioned (he said with crossed fingers) was, in several of the scenes in the Miramax lot, a random fellow is carrying around the exact same scaffolding-prop that Brodie got clonked on the head with in Mallrats.

It is somewhat humorous, but then I probably just ruined it for everybody. Ooops.

My biggest disappointment when I discovered that the other night was that (unless I missed it), the firing-back posting that Jay dictated to Silent Bob wasn't there. That was a thing of beauty.

ModernRonin2
08-29-2001, 01:36 PM
Kevin Smith was on Loveline a couple weeks back. Adam, the big jerk, complained bitterly because "all my scenes were cut out of the film." Smith may have put him in the credits like that as a joke. ;]

The whole movie is one big long reference-fest. I stopped counting. Definitely much better if you've seen Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy and Dogma multiple times. (Actually, no need to see Mallrats or Dogma more than once, IMO.)

-Ben

Mofo Rising
08-29-2001, 02:54 PM
"Only Ben Affleck can stop. . . THE MOONRAPER!"

Remember his character's predilection in MALLRATS?

Jack Batty
08-29-2001, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Drastic

My biggest disappointment when I discovered that the other night was that (unless I missed it), the firing-back posting that Jay dictated to Silent Bob wasn't there. That was a thing of beauty.
Ha! That's the first thing I look for too. What a pisser.
:D

Robot Arm
08-29-2001, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas
Trish the Dish from Mallrats talks to Alyssa from Chasing Amy about why they didn't make a Chasing Amy movie

They went together because they are sisters (Trisha Jones and Alyssa Jones). There third sister, Heather, was in Clerks and went to the beach with Rick Darris.
Are we sure that Joey Lauren Adams was playing Alyssa Jones from Chasing Amy and not Gwen Turner from Mallrats? I know she gives a look of recognition when Trish mentions "Chasing Amy", but that's not conclusive. Besides, "Chasing Amy" was another of Holden's comics, Alyssa's was "Idiosyncratic Routine".

nooc
08-29-2001, 08:30 PM
robot: I think it was suppose to be alyssa jones because those two would be sisters and that would make more sense. at least to me

Scruff
08-29-2001, 08:42 PM
In the scene outside the testing lab, after the van blows up, there'sa scene that looks like it'sa reference to another movie.

Jay falls to his knees, and as the camera pulls straight up and away from him, he looks up at the camera and screams "Justice!"

Anyone know if this was just a moment, or where the original came from?

KrustyKlown
08-29-2001, 10:17 PM
For those Star Wars fans out there (can I get a shout out?!), the "Greedo shooting first" comment actually referred to the re-release of Star Wars, where they added a blaster shot from Greedo before Han's because TPTB thought it would be much better of Han to shoot in self-defense, while the rest of us (obviously including Kevin Smith) liked that he shot first. Suddenly, he's not nearly as much of a bad-ass. I think I was the only one in the theater who got that joke. Such a nerd.

I thought the still screen with the ad for Mark Hammil was unnecessary. They didn't do it for Carrie Fisher, why Hammil? It's not like they didn't play up the Luke angle.

The guy staring at the poster coming out of the movie also was Snowball in Clerks.

Krusty

dwtno
08-29-2001, 10:53 PM
I took Jay's shouting "Justice!" to the heavens as a Trek reference. (Kirk: "Kahhhhhhhn!!!!" From Star Trek: The Wrath of Kahn)

And speaking of Trek, the scene at the diner took place next to a very recognizable rock formation used in the original "Star Trek" series. Remember the Gorns from the episode "Arena?" In fact, note the name of the restaurant: Arena Diner.

Outside of the Trek relm...

- Chris Rock's production assistant is wearing an "Infinity Highway" t-shirt just like Matt Damon's at the beginning of "Dogma."

- Many of the music cues relate back to the earlier movies (for instance, listen for the "Chasing Amy" theme music when Holden is first introduced.)

- In the credit roll, someone is listed as "Mewes Wrangler."

- Jay calls someone cockknocker in Chasing Amy.

- Loved the "Land of the Lost" tribute. Thought I was going to spew Coke when Ferrell called himself Marshall Wilenholly!

- And the Alanis Morissette appearance at the end has a very specific meaning. She's holding a book open to the last page. The book is titled "Viewaskewniverse" and the last page says "The End." God (i.e., Kevin) is closing the last chapter on his creation. So long Jay and Silent Bob.

dwtno
08-29-2001, 11:06 PM
One more...

- Banky's comic book store "Banky's Secret Stash" looks an awful lot like Kevin's real-life comic book store, "Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash."

Gozu Tashoya
08-30-2001, 01:29 AM
Hooper's response to Banky's "Shaft" line at the end of the movie. I damn near pissed myself.

silent_rob
08-30-2001, 01:50 AM
Thank you kindly, Audrey. :D
And thank you too, PolishSausage.

I'm not sure, pldennison. It might have been Ernie, though he looked a little too bulky for Ernie (who's pretty skinny compared to Ratface). But I'm seeing it again this weekend ("Hey Rob, we're going to see JASBSB this weekend. You want to go again?" "Do I?!?"), so I'll check again.

Yep, Tars, they're sisters; that's why I mentioned them going together. And Adams was definitely playing Alyssa, because Trish made the comment as to why they hadn't made the movie about her (Alyssa) and Holden from the "Chasing Amy" comic.

silent_rob
08-30-2001, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by dwtno
- Banky's comic book store "Banky's Secret Stash" looks an awful lot like Kevin's real-life comic book store, "Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash."

Heh, right you are. :)
It's the same comic book store, and they got the same people to make the sign for Brodie's store who made it for their real-life store.

Also, Montfort, Joey Lauren Adams and Kevin Smith are actually still pretty good friends. She was even going to do the commentary for the Chasing Amy Criterion disc shortly after they broke up, but there was a scheduling problem (though Kevin speaks very highly of her on that track). The break-up wasn't the reason for the her lack of parts in Kevin's movies.
The part of Bethany in Dogma was originally written for Joey, but the studio meddled with that (plus she ended up being busy at the time of shooting, anyway). They said that they needed a bigger star to play the part (also the reason why Baby Dave wasn't the cinematographer on Dogma).
Kevin's next movie is a drama/comedy, along the lines of Chasing Amy, starring Ben Affleck. Kevin is very much hoping to get Joey and Jason Lee to star in it, as well.

HannibalV
08-30-2001, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Slacker
another one I caught:

Jay was wearing a "Bezerker" shirt. Remember that dude from Clerks?

It's a little off-topic, but the "Berzerker" shirt is available for sale at your local comics shop (it may need to be ordered). It's actually a tour t-shirt for the band Berserker--the "F*ck Your Yankee Bluejeans Tour" to be exact.

Trying to think if there's anything I caught that no one else did...In the "Good Will Hunting 2" sequence, when the cameras are rolling, Affleck is putting on an intentionally awful fake accent, perhaps to show how bad his "GWH" accent could have been. The "gay serial killer movie" reference from Affleck to Damon was about "The Talented Mr. Ripley". One more from the semi-obvious category: did you catch what Jay was doing when they got out of the Jeep in Hollywood? Sitting upright, then wiping his lips...

Anyone know if/when we'll see the screenplay published, as we did with "Clerks/Chasing Amy" and "Dogma"?

dwtno
08-30-2001, 07:34 AM
Thought of some more...

- The boys try to climb aboard a Derris buslines bus. This was the same busline used in Dogma (twice!) and, of course, the name comes from the famous Rick Derris of Clerks.

- When one of the girls pulls a knife on Jay, he looks at it and says (quite sincerely) "We gonna have cake?" This was a line cut from Dogma.

- Although it's an obvious one, no one's mentioned Gus Van Sant, yet. He directed The real "Good Will Hunting" but was two busy counting his money to direct the fictional "Good Will Hunting 2."

- Another obvious rif, but the LA drug dealers, besides being members of the International Dealer's Union with J&S.B,, were also in other ways a mirror world version of J&SB: black & white, rather than skinny and fat, but one was silent while the other spoke.

JosephFinn
08-30-2001, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by pldennison

Are you sure that was Ratface? It looked to me like Ernie O'Donnell, who played Rick Derris in Clerks.

You're both correct. Ratface plays the cop who has his neck snapped in Dogma. Ernie O'Donnell makes the obligatory Derris appearance in Jay and Silent Bob as the cop who arrests them (and c'mon, of course Rick Derris would end up as a jerk cop).

Incidentally, Ethan Suplee (the William of Mallrats) is the guys who rags on Jay and Bob's mothers at the beginning of the movie: "Nice parenting!"

Kudos to my wife for beating me to these references.

Phoebestar
08-30-2001, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by JosephFinn
Incidentally, Ethan Suplee (the William of Mallrats) is the guys who rags on Jay and Bob's mothers at the beginning of the movie: "Nice parenting!"[/B]

Actually, that's not Ethan Supplee at the beginning. I don't believe he was able to be in J&SBSB because of scheduling conflicts.

I think, although I'm not sure, that the guy that criticizes Jay and Silent Bob's mom is the guy that played Cohee Lundin in Chasing Amy, John Willyung. I see, however, that's he's not credited on the IMDB. It might be someone else... I know the guy's been in other Smith films. Does anyone know who it is? It's been bothering me.

JosephFinn
08-30-2001, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Phoebestar
Originally posted by JosephFinn
Incidentally, Ethan Suplee (the William of Mallrats) is the guys who rags on Jay and Bob's mothers at the beginning of the movie: "Nice parenting!"

Actually, that's not Ethan Supplee at the beginning. I don't believe he was able to be in J&SBSB because of scheduling conflicts.

I think, although I'm not sure, that the guy that criticizes Jay and Silent Bob's mom is the guy that played Cohee Lundin in Chasing Amy, John Willyung. I see, however, that's he's not credited on the IMDB. It might be someone else... I know the guy's been in other Smith films. Does anyone know who it is? It's been bothering me. [/B]

You know, I'm an idiot. That was John Willyung (the infamous "fingercuffs" dude). My brain had an outage. Sorry about that, and just for that I have to let a dead apostle wear my coat for a week.

Joe_Cool
08-30-2001, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by dwtno
I took Jay's shouting "Justice!" to the heavens as a Trek reference. (Kirk: "Kahhhhhhhn!!!!" From Star Trek: The Wrath of Kahn)

I really don't think that was a Khan reference, closer to a "FREEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!" Braveheart reference.

Any the one I saw that nobody seems to have mentioned:
Holden said "Now look at these two morose lookin sonsabitches. Why the long faces, boys?" when Jay & Silent Bob showed up at his place to ask about likeness rights money.

The same thing Jay said to him in the diner in Chasing Amy, when they showed up to collect their likeness rights money.

Jack Batty
08-30-2001, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Joe_Cool
[BI really don't think that was a Khan reference, closer to a "FREEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!" Braveheart reference.
[/B]
I'm not sure about what moaning "Justice" has to do with it, but that scene seemed reminiscent of The Shawshank Redemption after Andy escapes and he's standing in the rain looking skyward.

JosephFinn
08-30-2001, 01:22 PM
Two more I remembered:

The ongoing 404 references (since they're ticked off at internet people). For instance, Jay's union card shows him as a member of his local 404, and the time on the clock of the receptionist they beat up is 4:04.

The diner is the Arena Diner. That scene is in Death Valley, Utah, used to film the classic Star Trek episode "The Arena."

friedo
08-30-2001, 05:46 PM
Another obvious one:

George Carlin the hobo was, of course, George Carlin the priest in Dogma.

Fitting that a Buddy Jesus should show up in the very next scene.

Geek Mecha
08-31-2001, 12:59 AM
Thanks, ModernRonin2.

silent_rob
09-02-2001, 04:49 AM
Okay, saw it again, tonight, with another group of friends (it's my b-day, and I really like the movie, all right?).

Anyway, caught a few more great things:

-The View Askew fictional cigarette brand "Nails Cigarettes" is used extensively throughout the film, but you can see it the most at the beginning. When Jay & Silent Bob are standing outside RST Video, there's the "Got Nails?" poster from Dogma, hanging up. It's an x-ray of a nail in a lung. Then, when it shows the inside of the Quick Stop, the only cigarettes they have are Nails Cigarettes. But there are lots of different kinds, apparently, as there are lots of different coloured boxes.

-In the Planet of the Apes parody, there's the obvious stuff: all of the humans are naked except Dante & Randal who where their regular clothes, the ape Jay & Silent Bob, and the Ape Video and Ape Stop. However, if you look closely, there's also a shoe-polish made sign hanging on the Ape Stop. It says, parodying the sign from Clerks (and seen at the beginning of this movie): "I assure you, we are not open to humans!" :D

-When Jay & Silent Bob are talking to Pumpkin Escobar (Tracy Morgan) & Silent Scott about finding Miramax, there are posters for a Greatest Hits album, behind them on the wall. The posters are for a fictional band, made by View Askew, featuring Scott Mosier and someone in the Berserker wig. The band's name is "Random Meat" and their tagline is "The Meat Is On!" :)

fishboy
09-02-2001, 09:29 AM
Minor correction, the Arena episode of Star Trek was filmed as Vasquez Rocks, about 15 miles N.E. of Los Angeles (beneath the Grapevine). It's a state park also. Check it out, it's cool... They used it a lot in S.T. and Chevy truck commercials, probably 'cause it's close to L.A.

red_dragon60
09-02-2001, 08:13 PM
Don't know if these have been posted yet...

Jay had an Olaf Berzerker shirt. Remember him from Clerks?

Randall had his awesome CCCP hockey jersey, also from Clerks.

Kaitlyn
09-02-2001, 10:35 PM
Number Six, it's not technically a sequel, as it's a story separate from the other films. However, the main plot is a take off of some stuff that happens in Chasing Amy.
It's very true that fans of Kevin Smith's other films (or people that have at least seen them) will get a lot more out of it. But that's not the reason you should go back and watch Clerks, Chasing Amy, and Dogma...you should watch them because they're really great movies. Though some might not like Mallrats as much, it's pretty funny, too.

You make a reasonable point. I borrowed the dvd's from my friends and watched them. I thought "Clerks" and "Dogma" were both pretty good, but neither was the kind of movie I'd want to go back and see again. "Mallrats" left me cold. It seemed like "Clerks" with a bigger budget and less imagination.

"Chasing Amy" is clearly the class of these films. I can see sparks of potential greatness here, though I wouldn't call this movie great. I liked it a lot, though. From what I remember of how it was advertised when it was released, I thought it was a romantic comedy-drama about a love triangle, and here it turns out to be a screwball comedy about the comic book industry. Had I known that, I would have seen it at the theater. This was one seriously mis-advertised movie.

Overall, I'd still put Kevin Smith movies (except "Mallrats") in roughly the same category as "Fight Club" or "The Usual Suspects". I like the movies, but can't quite grasp what makes people want to watch them over and over again. For me, the connection just isn't there the way it is with, say, Whit Stillman or Pedro Almodovar.

Oh, and after seeing "Chasing Amy", I'd classify "Jay and Silent Bob" as a sequel. If a movie uses characters from another movie and continues the story line, it's a sequel.

Totoro
09-02-2001, 11:45 PM
You know what? My name is Justus. (Yes I know her name is Justice in the film, not Justus, it sounds the exact fucking same, so no shit, k?) When she said her name, I yelled "WHAT?!?!" and the person I was with goes, "oh man, you're gonna get some shit."

Not really a signature Kevin Smith hidden thing, but whatever.

Did anyone catch the Blade references? The Lightsabre drag against the ground that Jay does is a direct copy, that most would notice, but when Jay does the jump and lands, and slowly looks up, that's also a copy. The Cocknocker hit where Jay gets hit back is also from Blade. I don't know why he has all the Blade references, but I'm 200 proof sure that they're from Blade. Anyone know if Kevin Smith or anyone has a connection to Blade? Anyone know how many times I've said the word Blade? Blade Blade Blade?

Totoro
09-02-2001, 11:47 PM
"Chasing Amy" is clearly the class of these films. I can see sparks of potential greatness here, though I wouldn't call this movie great. I liked it a lot, though. From what I remember of how it was advertised when it was released, I thought it was a romantic comedy-drama about a love triangle, and here it turns out to be a screwball comedy about the comic book industry. Had I known that, I would have seen it at the theater. This was one seriously mis-advertised movie.[/B]

You know, Kevin himself says that Chasing Amy is his favorite of the films. You should listen to him on the DVD commentary. After that, I appreciated it even more. He really stresses the wonderful acting, and it really did make it more enjoyable for me.

gigi
09-04-2001, 02:22 PM
Call me an inveterate geek, but I noticed how the instructions on the tranquilizer case read "In case of emergency, brake glass..."

Any meaning to that?? <Wanders off muttering about attention to grammar and spelling...> ;)

silent_rob
09-04-2001, 08:53 PM
A change has been made on Movie Poop Shoot (http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/4.html), so it now includes both the new post that Jay & Silent Bob respond to in the film, as well as their response. The interesting thing is that they didn't read all of the first post out loud, in the film. It was apparently posted by "Darth Randal" (from Clerks and the new flick) and has a few other funny bits in it. Give it a look-see.

ElwoodCuse
09-04-2001, 09:31 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned the guys from Reservoir Dogs walking around in the background of the Miramax lot.

Mythos45
09-04-2001, 09:38 PM
In the scenes in Banky's Secret Stash (comic store), he's holding the tiny cup he carried around and 'made last' in Mallrats .

Baraqiyal
09-05-2001, 05:22 AM
When Affleck described the internet as “a place where losers get together to discuss stuff they claim to despise, but can’t help discussing”, it reminded me so much of the numerous ST Voyager discussions I’ve seen. I have to wonder if Kevin Smith had that in mind when he was writing those lines.

Montfort
09-05-2001, 08:45 AM
Or Episode 1.

(Which, for the record, I liked.)

Robot Arm
09-09-2001, 10:29 PM
I think I might have the most obscure here. In Dogma there's a reference (by way of Krush Groove) to Run-D.M.C. when Loki gets off the bus saying "Whose house?...Run's house!..." and J&SBSB has a Run-D.M.C. song on the soundtrack (Tougher Than Leather).

silent_rob
09-10-2001, 01:36 AM
Robot Arm, "Run's House" was also used in Chasing Amy. And were it not for the soundtrack (http://www.viewaskew.com/chasingamy/amysoundtrack.html) getting dropped, they were planning to have it on there.