PDA

View Full Version : Movies that make you cry

Airman Doors, USAF
08-26-2001, 05:12 AM
I couldn't sleep, so I stayed up and watched Rudy. Every single time I've ever seen that movie I've cried at the end. I'm not ashamed. It always seems to strike a chord with me.

So what about you guys? Any movies bust you up every time you see them?

G. Nome
08-26-2001, 05:40 AM
Born Free and Amistad. But why would I see them more than once? They made me cry.

AbbySthrnAccent
08-26-2001, 05:51 AM
Life is Beautiful
Green Mile
Little Women
Sweet November
Steel Magnolia's
Love Story
Forrest Gump
Schindlers List
Braveheart
The Patriot
Saving Private Ryan
Message in a Bottle
Sleepless in Seattle
Pay It Forward

Even though I can't think of them there's more, I cry alot a movies.

Chas.E
08-26-2001, 05:58 AM
I always cry at movies. Hell, I cried when I saw the IMAX film "Earth from Space" because it was too beautiful, seeing high resolution images of what I have always longed to see from orbit myself.
But then, I shed a tear tonight at the climax of "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure."

sewalk
08-26-2001, 06:03 AM
Gardens of Stone
My Life
Citizen X (When Colonel Filitov relates his conversation with the FBI)
Saving Private Ryan

I can't watch any of these without getting a little teary-eyed.

sdarr2002
08-26-2001, 07:05 AM
old yeller- i cry every single time i see this thing.

Agrippina
08-26-2001, 09:44 AM
*E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
*Babe ("That'll do pig. That'll do.")
*The Lion King (only once, though, when Mufasa died)
*Amistad
*Titanic
*One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
*Rain Man
*Saving Private Ryan (only because the old guy at the end looked like my own grandfather, and I only cried once at that, too)

waxteeth
08-26-2001, 10:55 AM
The Color Purple, and My Girl.

Lsura
08-26-2001, 10:57 AM
Little Man Tate(I don't know why, it just does)

Beyond that, I'm not a big crier at movies.

Zebra
08-26-2001, 11:51 AM
Babe the Gallant Pig
Empire of the Sun
Field of Dreams
Life is Beautiful
Where the Red Fern Grows

gobear
08-26-2001, 12:06 PM
SPOILERS

West Side Story--I always tear up at the end when Maria is grieving over Tony's body. ("How many can I kill, Chino? How many, and still have one bullet left for me?")

Titanic--At the end, when the camera pans over the photos showing how Rose did all the things that she and Jack had planned to do together.

Silent Running--when Bruce Dern blows himself up and we see the droids tending the last forest as Joan Baez sings "Rejoice In The Sun" over the end credits

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon--when Michelle Yeoh and Chow Yun Fat finally reveal that they are in love with each other, but too late, because Chow Yun Fat has been poisoned by Jade Fox's dart, and then at the end when Zhang ZiYi dives into the clouds

Schindler's List--I sniveled through the whole movie, but especially when the Nazis are cremating the bodies of the Jews killed in the scouring of the ghetto, and we see the body of the little girl in red who hid under the bed when the Nazis were executing the people who had evaded the roundup.

ShibbOleth
08-26-2001, 12:08 PM
Generally sad stuff with children, off the top of my head...

Cider House Rules when the "ugly" orphan explains how it feels every time a couple comes to adopt a child and it's never him.

Au Revoir, Les Enfants Nazis v. innocents, a proven formula to get the duct work going.

Scotticher
08-26-2001, 12:12 PM
I cry all the time during movies. Of course, I also cry during TV shows, books and even some commercials.

But the only movie I can recall having SOBBED through is an obscure Mel Gibson movie called "Tim." I believe it was one of his first screen appearances. Colleen McCullough, the lady who wrote "The Thorn Birds," wrote the book, and I sobbed all the way through that, too. The movie also starred Piper Laurie.

I recommend both the book and the movie. And it has a happy ending, which is almost a requirement for a hopeless romantic like me. At least for repeat viewing.

Scotti

Stellablue
08-26-2001, 12:14 PM
The English Patient, "I have always loved you."
Boo Hoo

Arden Ranger
08-26-2001, 12:53 PM
Boys On The Side. I love that movie and cry every time I watch it.

nonsequitur
08-26-2001, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by sdarr2002
old yeller- i cry every single time i see this thing.

I get choked up at the commercials. If my kids want to see that movie, they'll have to watch it at someone else's house. I don't ever want to see it again.

Another movie that I cried at that seems odd is Jurasic Park. I didn't cry when people got killed but at odd moments like when all the ice cream went bad or the helicopter ride home. Willie Wonka makes me cry too. Maybe it's fond memories of childhood. Go figure.

CnoteChris
08-26-2001, 01:08 PM
Sheesh, I can't believe I'm about to do this, but since it's not on the list yet-

When Hairy Met Sally

I'm not an emotional guy. I think the last time I cried was when my brother stole my extended crayon set and puched me when I told mom on him. It was a week or so ago.

But that movie, for some reason, and no matter how many times I've seen it, still gets me teary eyed by the end.

Not wailing or anything. I mean, I am a man and all, but I do get choked up when they finally hook up.

<sniff>

Besides, it's a bitch thinking Meg Ryan's rack is taken off the market by such a loser like Billy Crystal.

-smile-

Phouchg
08-26-2001, 01:22 PM
I hate, hate, HATE "Chick Flicks" but there is one notable exception:

Somewhere In Time

I think because it has an interesting "twilight zone" twist I like it, but also Jane Seymour...hubba hubba

um, I also cried at Schindler's List, Philadelphia, and It's A Wonderful Life.

Phouchg Hath Spoken

astro
08-26-2001, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by CnoteChris
Sheesh, I can't believe I'm about to do this, but since it's not on the list yet-

When Hairy Met Sally

But that movie, for some reason, and no matter how many times I've seen it, still gets me teary eyed by the end.

Not wailing or anything. I mean, I am a man and all, but I do get choked up when they finally hook up.

<sniff>

When Hairy Met Sally? Was this the one starring Ron Jeremy?

kylen
08-26-2001, 01:29 PM
I've cried at a number of movies, but in terms of the bigest sob-fest I can remember, it has to be Dancer in the Dark

CnoteChris
08-26-2001, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by astro

If it had Ron Jeremy in it, it'd be When Harry Met Hairrier.

I don't think I'd cry at that.

okielady
08-26-2001, 02:30 PM
WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

The Green Mile - I cried when I read the book, and the books that can make me cry are VERY FEW and far between. I knew I was in for it when I rented the movie.

Steel Magnolias - When Sally Fields breaks down at the cemetary after the funeral. I boo-hoo nearly every time I see that.

My Girl - If you've seen it you know why. 'Nuff said.

I could go on and on forever. I've been known to cry at the drop of a hat for no apparent reason, and more often for happy scenes than for sad ones.

Poysyn
08-26-2001, 03:06 PM
I am sich a blubberer

Steel Magnolias "I'd rather have twenty minutes of wonderful then a lifetime of nothing special"

The Color Purple "Everything you done to me, already done to you"

Moll Flanders My God, the whole movie!

And lastly...

Dumbo That whole "Baby Mine" scene

Drastic
08-26-2001, 03:12 PM
I tear up easily enough at lots of movies and shows these days, at least when watching alone. Random selections:

Grave of the Fireflies. I've seen it once, and think a few more years, and then a couple more for good measure, before I have a repeat viewing will be a good thing.

The Thin Red Line. Various points throughout. The inner reflections at the very end slug me everytime, though. "If I should never find you in this life, let me feel the lack. One glance from your eyes, and my life will be yours." "Oh my soul, let me be in you now. Look out through my eyes, look out at the things you've made. All things shining."

Harold and Maude, primarily the end sequence. Cat Stevens' "Trouble" as Harold zooms along, expression just numb and dead, towards his final decision. And the concluding moments after that decision is revealed.

And not a movie, but I'll include it since it's very recent. I just recently finished a reviewing of Serial Experiments Lain, and (particularly now that the whole thing makes more sense then the first time through especially) the full impact of what the namesake chose to wrap things up caused some ocular leaks.

Freudian Slit
08-26-2001, 03:15 PM
Spoilers:

Storm of the Century (It just leaves me with such an empty feeling at the end. And you see this completely happy town, and this good, ethical guy has his family ripped apart. And I feel like I've gone through the whole movie with the whole town. Sigh.)

Posyn,, I agree with the "Dumbo" thing. And the scene in the pound in "Lady and the Tramp."

I teared up a little at the end of "Indochine," I must admit. That woman's daughter just abandoning her like that, and her letting her go. It was a great ending, just depressing.

daffodil
08-26-2001, 03:23 PM
I cried LOUD at "Hannibal". All that wasted talent and money. *sob*

Seriously; "One flew over the Cuckoo's nest"
"Of Mice and Men"
"Dumbo" [yes, really]

For the rest; If a film only hints at sad things, I'm not gonna see it.

racinchikki
08-26-2001, 03:35 PM
I don't cry. At least when people can see me.

That said, the first time I saw Titanic (I ended up going to the theater to see it like five times with five different groups of people, even though I didn't like the movie), I suddenly realized about halfway through that this was a true story (the background, anyway, screw Jack and Rose), this boat had been full of real people, and a whole assload of them had been doomed from the start and none of them had a clue about it. That shocked me into teary-eyedness.

But I've never cried at a movie.

Patty O'Furniture
08-26-2001, 07:50 PM
Okay, did none of you tender-hearted persons cry during Joy Luck Club or were you so emotionally scarred that you've repressed the memories? That movie didn't just have a sad ending, but a sad begining and multiple sad middles, too. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

The Lion King jerked a few of my tears at the end when the new cub was born & the circle of life was completed.

RickJay
08-26-2001, 08:25 PM
I cried like a baby during "Forrest Gump." Especially the scene where Forrest is sitting at Jenny's sickbed telling her about all the amazing things he saw... I just bawled.

Mrs. RickJay and I both cried at the end of "You've Got Mail," but we met over the internet so that's a subjective case.

Damn that Tom Hanks, he got me three times; I cried at "Saving Private Ryan," too. And Spielberg also got me in "Schindler's List" (the final scene when he gets the gold ring) and "Amistad."

Patty O'Furniture
08-26-2001, 08:33 PM
Torch Song Trilogy is good for a few tears especially at the end where Arnold slowly collects and caresses all of the mementos from his loved ones.

Catamount
08-26-2001, 08:51 PM
Dumbo. I have to leave the room when he goes to visit his mother in "jail."

The Dead Poet's Society. "Oh Captain, my Captain!"

Guinastasia
08-26-2001, 09:05 PM
Titanic-the part when they pan over the elderly couple-the Strausses cuddling in bed, and the Irish mother in steerage reading to her children.

Anastasia-pretty much the whole damn movie.

Doctor Zhivago-when she leaves on the train with Komorovsky

Myrnalene
08-26-2001, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Attrayant
Okay, did none of you tender-hearted persons cry during Joy Luck Club or were you so emotionally scarred that you've repressed the memories? That movie didn't just have a sad ending, but a sad begining and multiple sad middles, too. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

That's the movie I thought of one I read the thread title. One big bawl-fest from the beginning to the end for me.

drm
08-26-2001, 09:16 PM
The Mighty at the very very end where the big kid has his breakthrough

Gladiator this ones pretty obvious where. This one isn't so much for the death (although it's sad) but for personal reasons.

Pay it Forward this one is pretty obvious as to where as well.

drm
08-26-2001, 09:18 PM
Oh yah, Dead Poets Society at the same spot as SpazCat

VitrolicBump
08-26-2001, 09:48 PM
*Little Women(the one with Winona Ryder and Christian Bale) - I can't even get throught the book, so seeing this movie just brought me to tears. I own the movie, but have only watched it once since I got it.

*Evita - I wasn't the only one. A really tough looking guy had to leave through the front exit because he was crying.

*Final Fantasy - only because I wasted my time and money on it. :mad:

I don't cry much in movies, unless I am laughing so hard that I am crying. Like I did last night when I saw Rat Race.

Zebra
08-26-2001, 10:03 PM
It's a Wonderful Life

City Lights

and

Schindlers List

The strange thing about SL is that I got through the entire movie just fine but at the end when the workers give him the letter and the ring I start but when Schindler starts in on how he didn't do enought and sees what few possesions he has as people he could have saved I really lose it.

Guinastasia
08-26-2001, 10:12 PM
Oh, that part got me too. He starts saying, "I'm not so great, I could've saved thousands more..." then he gradually breaks down and says, "Why not just one more..." and I started to cry.

I have to say, though, this movie wasn't the kind to make me cry-more likely, I just sat there, feeling nauseous at the idea of what happened then...it left me feeling empty, somehow-or appalled at the evil of the Nazis.

Evnglion
08-26-2001, 10:23 PM
There are definetly a few of these...

Phenomenon
My Girl
Forrest Gump
Schindler's List

that's all I can think of right now, and I am pretty embarassed to say this, but there are 2 commercials that get me going. They are both Cingular ads, one of them is the one about the special olympics, and there are 4 boys competing in a 200 meter dash, or some running event. Well, they all take off, and one of them falls, and then, the other 3 stop, go back to the boy that fell, and they walk to the finish line, together, all three of them, arm around another. The other one is about the painter with no arms, and he has some mental disablity. He is shown painting pictures with a special head-mounted brush, and it is so sad. Then at the end he says, "I am so lucky", then, like clockwork, I lose it. Oh well...

Nocturne
08-26-2001, 10:45 PM
The end of the Sixth Sense...and also the scene with Haley Joel Osment and his mother in the car when they're talking about his grandma.

Also the Dead Poets' Society, during the "O Captain, my Captain" part.

plankter
08-26-2001, 11:20 PM
Going way back here - "Antarctica", the Japanese film about abandoned sled dogs, made me cry twice. Many years later, "Dangerous Beauty" had be blubbering in the theater.
Chas.E, thanks for reminding me about IMAX. When I saw "Blue Earth" and our planet seen from space filled the screen, I welled up with tears. I must be a Pagan at heart.

Equipoise
08-27-2001, 12:45 AM
The more times I've seen the movie, the more likely I am to cry. Recent ones that made me cry, seen multiple times in the theater and/or on DVD/laserdisc, include:

Moulin Rouge (I know it's coming, but damn)
Apocolypse Now (Redux) (she just wanted to get the dog)
The Iron Giant ("I am not a gun")
One From The Heart ("You are my sunshine...")
Dancer In The Dark (Von Trier got me. Yes he did.)
The Cotton Club (the "Ill Wind" montage)

<sniff>

Eq

beegirl13
08-27-2001, 12:55 AM
Ditto to The Green Mile, Phenomenon, and Titanic and add the movie version of Where the Red Fern Grows.

andygirl
08-27-2001, 01:24 AM
Boys Don't Cry made me weep for a very long time.
The movie Boys On The Side also made me shed a few tears in the climax.

CnoteChris
08-27-2001, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by astro
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CnoteChris

[b]When Hairy Met Sally

Good googley moogley.

I didn't realize my faux paus until just now.

Color me dense.

CnoteChris
08-27-2001, 02:39 AM
No comment.

LabRat
08-27-2001, 02:54 AM
The whale sequence in Fantasia 2000.

Spooky
08-27-2001, 03:46 AM
My husband ran out of the room with a pillow crushed into his face at the final scene of "Love Story", when I made him watch it. I WARNED him, but he said he could handle it. Get out your handkerchiefs.

Does any one remember that old movie with Jackie Gleason? It has a French title. Lemme look it up................. Ah, yes, Gigot, 1962. I remember my sister and I seeing this years ago on TV, but being unable to watch it, because it was SO SAD. We were just little girls. We told our Mom about it the next morning, and she said, "Oh, yes, that is very sad." I have been afraid yet intrigued by this film ever since.

Does anyone else remember this movie? I was only 7 or 8 years old, but I remember a scene where Jackie is taking care of a little girl, and she is on a carousel....... she goes round and round while he chases her and falls over the barriers. My sister and I weeped.

Dr. Rieux
08-27-2001, 03:50 AM
Several of those already mentioned, plus:

What Dreams May Come
Legends of the Fall
A League of Their Own
Dances With Wolves

Dr. Rieux
08-27-2001, 03:51 AM
How could I forget:
Out of Africa

Spooky
08-27-2001, 04:04 AM
Dr. Rieux, my first thought was of Out of Africa, but I didn't want to ramble on. Ok, so now I did. I have cried at alot of movies!!! : )

teigra
08-27-2001, 04:27 AM
I am not a crier at movies. Dont know why. But I do know some sad scenes:

Dances with Wolves final scene with Wind in His Hair shouting after Dunbar.

About Legends... perhaps the part were Hopkins comes out of the house and meets his son again, makes you remember the man he used to be before the stroke. And then he can't even talk really...

Also O Captain my Captain.

I also found the Bridges of Madison County touching...
oh well, maybe it's just me.

Pammipoo
08-27-2001, 12:38 PM
An easier question would probably be what movies haven't made me cry...I'm such a wuss.

A quick list of what has made me tear up...
Lion King
Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Lady and the Tramp
Bambi
Pochahontas
every other single Disney movie
Armegeddon
Dirty Dancing
Pay it Forward
Grease
Cruel Intentions

I'm sure there's more...I'll finish my list later...

The Bitterdrunk Kid
08-27-2001, 12:45 PM
Forrest Gump always gets me. I know a girl alot like Jenny. I've known her since we were both four, and we grew up as good friends. We never really dated, but I've got the feeling we've alway liked each other. I don't see much of her anymore, but she started drinking a lot, and was living with an abusive guy for a while, until she got pregnant (by him). Now she's back home, and trying to clean up her life. Oh, by the way, she's a waitress now. (The main difference is we're still not together and she doesn't have AIDS. Also, I'm not slow like Forrest.)

Lyllyan
08-27-2001, 12:55 PM
Always....with Holly Hunter and Richard Dreyfus
Somewhere in Time....just hearing the theme is usually enough to send me running for tissues.
A.I. Artificial Intelligence...I cried during the whole movie
It's A Wonderful Life..it doesn't matter that I have seen it 4 million times
Yes, the Dumbo "Baby Mine scene gets me, too.
Braveheart
Wizard of Oz.."Auntie Em, Auntie Em, I'm scared and alone!"

Darqangelle
08-27-2001, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Lyllyan
A.I. Artificial Intelligence...I cried during the whole movie[/B]

...yeah, I heard it was pretty bad.. :D

rjung
08-27-2001, 03:32 PM
I admit, I have to fight back the tears during the "Jesse's Story" musical interlude from Toy Story 2.

Couldn't get worked up over The Joy Luck Club, though. Maybe because I had already put up with too much of that sort of Asian guilt in real life...

gonzoron
08-27-2001, 03:34 PM
I'm glad someone mentioned Grave of the Fireflies That's gotta be the saddest movie I've ever seen. My girlfriend was watching it for a second time, while it was my first, and she started tearing up in the first scene. I didn't understand why until the end.

Funny Crouching Tiger story: I saw it the first 2 times on a plane (watched it once, loved it, watched it again immediately. Long flight. Paris to NY) At the end (you know when) I was bawling. How embarrasing: "Vould you like zome cheese or fruit, monsieur?" "No <sob> Thank you <sob> just another diet coke <sniff>"

Others:
Schindler's List
Lion King (only at Mufasa's death. More specifically, "C'mon Dad, get up, we gotta go home")
Iron Giant (Yup: "I am not a gun")
Titanic (Sigh... I didn't want to, but the elderly couple on the bed got me.)
Romeo & Juliet (the one with DiCaprio and Danes. The reworking of the ending so he KNEW she was alive before the poison takes hold, that really worked.)
Life is Beautiful
Edward Scissorhands (when his creator dies)
Dead Poets Society
Toy Story 2 (Jesse's Song)

might think of more later....

MrVisible
08-27-2001, 03:55 PM
Oh, man... I am a sap.

Cinema Paradiso By far the worst. Sobbed like a baby.

Life is Beautiful ...um... um....Waaaah!

Saving Private Ryan Sniff. Sob.

Etcetera.

Sigh.

Edwardina
08-27-2001, 05:59 PM
Dumbo - the scene where his mother cradles him through the bars.
The Lion King - I won't even watch the scene where Mufasa dies anymore. Nope, not gonna do it.
Dances With Wolves - when those two yahoos are shooting at the wolf and it won't run away because of Dunbar . . . I just lost it. That's one of the most embarassing moment of my life: how loud I cried at that scene. My mother dug her fingernails into my arm and told me to get up and leave the theater, I was making so much noise. Still chaps my behind to remember it, those bastards!
Hook - "Oh _there_ you are, Peter." *sniff, sniff*
Saving Private Ryan - oddly enough, I didn't cry at the movie itself, but the preview made me cry on two separate occasions. I've used to be tough, but now . . . I cry at more and more stuff these days. Getting emotional in my old age.

A commercial made me cry recently. It's the Hallmark commercial where the woman looks out her window and sees her elderly neighbor going out to check her mail and she never gets anything. So the lady gets her a card and sends her son across the street to put it in the mailbox. Then the scene cuts to the little boy handing his mom a jar of homemade jam and saying, "Mrs. So-and-so gave me this to give to you, Mom. I think she was crying." I was embarassed that I'd started to tear up, until I looked across at my boyfriend and saw him hurriedly wiping away some moisture that had collected in his eyes. Anything that can make him cry . . .

MonkeyMensch
08-27-2001, 06:15 PM
How can these two not have been mentioned yet?

Brian's Song
Terms of Endearment

It's easy. You get the star into a hospital bed and let 'em die. Opens the taps like Noah was buildin' a boat.

RickJay
08-27-2001, 08:46 PM
Actually, the movie that makes me cry the most is the Bell Canada commercial where the college student is calling his grandfather long distance from France, and the grandfather says "So are the girls in Paris as pretty as I remember?" and the grandson says "I'm not in Paris, Grandpa. I'm in Dieppe. I called to say thank you." (Dieppe was the site of Canada's worst defeat during World War II.) Everyone I know cries at that one.

Miller
08-27-2001, 09:12 PM
Okay, this is a little strange, but I always get choked up during disaster movies. Even the bad ones, like Volcano, or Independence Day. I don't know why that is. Maybe I'm just such a callous bastard that you've got to kill a couple thousand people before I start to really care.

Equipoise
08-27-2001, 11:16 PM
When my husband and I first met (nearly 20 years ago) and were going through that initial "getting-to-know-you" phase, there were a few very important unspoken "tests" we had to pass for each other to prove our compatibility. Three of these tests concerned movies. The first happened on a day a couple of weeks after we'd met. We were hanging around his apartment, listening to music and watching TV (he had MTV! I didn't know anyone who had MTV!). The movie The Elephant Man was starting on a cable channel and we decided to watch it. We had both seen it before, but I think the decision to watch it was because we subconsciously needed this particular test to happen sooner rather than later. When, by the end, we were hugging on the floor in front of the TV and sharing a box of Kleenex, we knew that it was yet another sign that we were soul mates.

The other movie tests showed that we were both front row people (I don't know that we'd be together if either of us had turned out to be a middle-of-the-theater or back row lover), and that we both could also enjoy mindless, turn-your-brain-off-and-enjoy fare. The first movie we saw together in a theater was 48 Hrs! We both loved it!

Eq

"ROOOOOOXXXANNE!!!"

Ennui
08-27-2001, 11:30 PM
Last movie that made me cry (from genuine emotion and not that I paid good money to see it), Shawshank Redemption.

Spoiler Stuff

While in prison, and after Andy (Tim Robins) gets out of that month in solitary, Red (Morgan Freeman) warns Andy about the danger of hope. But after getting out himself, and refusing to follow Brooks example, Red is riding a trailways bus to Mexico to meet Andy. In his voice over Red says "I hope I can make it across the boarder, I hope I can see me friend and shake his hand. I hope the pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams,...I hope.

I always well up at that point.

kiz
08-27-2001, 11:42 PM
The movies I've seen which have made me cry are movies I never, ever want to watch again:

*Schindler's List
*The Accused
*Silence of the Lambs
*the movie with Glenn Close and Michael Douglas (the name of it is on the tip of my tongue!)
*The Elephant Man
*Titanic
*The Perfect Storm
*Julia

I'd add A Christmas Carol, except that it's only when the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come shows up that I run out of the room...otherwise, I'll watch the rest of it.

Needless to say, this is only a partial list, and I haven't even touched Movies Which Evoke Anger In Me...

kiz
08-27-2001, 11:44 PM
Oops, I forgot Sophie's Choice!

High time I go to bed...evidently the brain's shutting down for the evening...zzzzzz...

Ruby
08-28-2001, 01:36 AM
Mr. Ruby and I have puddled at several of the films listed. Another of our common tear-jerkers is A Star is Born with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson. Mr. Ruby refuses to watch it again.

Oh, I almost forgot the final episode of The Beauty and the Beast with Ron Pearlman and Linda Hamilton. He won't watch any episodes anymore....<sigh>

sidle
08-29-2001, 11:03 AM
Has no one mentioned E.T.? ( Or was it just me?)
The end of She's Having a Baby gets me, even after
20 times, as does the end of The Great Santini.

jellen92
08-29-2001, 03:49 PM
Steel Magnolias, Prince of Tides and always always.... Forrest Gump...

Bookworm
08-29-2001, 09:02 PM
~grins and waves~ Hi! Newbie here! ^_^

* Finding Forrester - great movie overall, but so sad at the end . . .
* Pay it Forward - another great. Haley Joan Osment is a wonderful actor. I was SOBBING at the ending.
* Where the Red Fern Grows - We had to read it for lit one year, and my teacher brought in the movie after we finished the book. The book I was sobbing through; the movie I wasn't, but only because I was surrounded by thirty of my peers, all of whom would have teased me endlessly for openly crying.

Ruby
08-29-2001, 11:02 PM
Welcome to the Boards, Bookworm!

Jman
08-30-2001, 12:25 AM
I've cried at a lot of movies, but I've gotten a little better at controlling my emotion recently. However, the two most recent movies that got me crying were:

******WARNING: Spoilers Ahead******

My Dog Skip - Just a fun little movie, but if you've owned a dog as a kid (or any pet), it'll get you.

Saving Private Ryan - I saw it for the first time on DVD at my parent's place. When I started it, my dad told me to get a rag for my tears at the end. I thought "yeah, Ok, I'll be fine." When Hanks' character dies, it made me sad. When Private Ryan turns to his wife and says "Tell me Iíve lived a good life. Tell me Iím a good man.Ē I lost it. I was sobbing like a little baby. It took me a while to compose myself. And I'm supposed to be this big, tough Army guy. :)

Jman

scotth
08-30-2001, 02:16 AM
This one was only mentioned once that I saw... so It deserves another line: Life is Beautiful... If you haven't seen it, the last couple minutes might be the saddest thing on film. (i.e. about the line, "that's what my dad did for me").

The other I didn't notice in this list at all. Good Will Hunting.... The scene where he tells Mini Driver that he doesn't love her. Guess that might only be really effective if you have been really thoroughly shit on yourself.

Junior Spaceman
08-30-2001, 07:49 AM
I'm the wrong person to post here, because I cry at almost every film I see at some point (except straight ahead comedies) - mostly because of something unrelated to plot, like beautiful music or scenery.

However, yesterday I saw You Can Count On Me, and it had me crying almost from start to finish, because it had what I think is the perfect melding of two great cinema cliches: the loving but messed up brother and sister relationship, and the returning to the small town after time away. As well as that, it had a fantastic country music soundtrack, with Steve Earle and Friends, along with Loretta Lynn, which was just perfect.

Mr. Cynical
08-30-2001, 09:37 AM
Tell you what. The Natural gets me every time. The scene at the end. The combination of the triumph, the joy, the music, the celebration. It just lays me out flat.

That, and The Right Stuff, during the Yeager days, shortly after they hear the boom.

Danimal
08-30-2001, 11:06 AM
It's been a long, long time, since I really sobbed at a movie. The last one where I did that was Billy Budd, the old Melville adaptation with Terence Stamp, Robert Ryan, and Peter Ustinov. The neding is, well, just crushing.

But as for movies that just bring tears to my eyes, there are plenty. A.I. was the last one. Braveheart, of course. Four Weddings and a Funeral (I'd never heard the Auden poem before). There've been lots more that I've forgotten.

foxtrot
08-30-2001, 11:32 AM
My first post!!!

I think "My Dog Skip" has been the only movie that has made me cry in the last few years. It made me race home to hug my own dog. Movies nowadays don't make me cry. Gretzky retiring and Bourque hoisting the cup on the other hand...

Krispy Original
08-30-2001, 01:44 PM
Hell, I've been known to cry over Little House on the Prarie reruns...

...but, the movies that make me bawl have already been mentioned:

Brian's Song
Rudy
Field of Dreams
It's a wonderful life

Danimal
08-30-2001, 02:35 PM
Just remembered another one that made me tear up really badly: Rob Roy. Oddly enough, it only affected me the second time I saw it; the first time I was hardly affected by it. When Jessica Lange walks out of her hut in front of the soldiers, that fragile dignity pulled so bravely over all that pain, my eyes blurred up something fierce. And just before the end, when Neeson finally makes it back to her, I got a big lump in my throat and some tears.

Rob Roy is the rarest kind of romantic movie: a romance where the lovers are married to each other. it's wonderful.

Strainger
08-30-2001, 09:56 PM
I cried near the end of "Amadeus," when Mozart's body is carted off to a paupers' grave to the strains of the Lacrymosa from his Requiem.

I almost cried during "The Sixth Sense" and "Apollo 13."

Originally posted by Airman Doors, USAF
...Rudy. Every single time I've ever seen that movie I've cried at the end.I cried at the end of "Rudy" too, but only because Georgia Tech lost. ;)

Lionors
08-30-2001, 10:15 PM
I gulp a bit on occasion, but movies that really make me just bawl are rare. That being said...

Platoon
Saving Private Ryan

It was one thing to know there were demons from Vietnam and WWII that haunted my father and grandfather...but seeing those movies were, to me, like having front row seats in their nightmares. I think in both cases I cried more out of grief for what two essentially kind and gentle men lived through and lived with as a result of their experiences than I did for the movies themselves.

Less close-to-home films:
[list]
Rob Roy - Danimal, I am SO with you on that scene...and even more in the aftermath, when Jessica Lange and Alastair are in the loch while Tim Roth and the rest of the thugs are retreating. However the KILLER to me is the duel at the end between Liam Neeson and Tim Roth. (I'm a sucker for guts and gallantry.)
Braveheart - Self-explanatory.
Sommersby - Although this movie ties with The Green Mile as the two movies with the single most INFURIATING endings and/or plot twists I've seen, so I'm not quite sure if I was crying in fury at those two or just crying. (I like my happy endings,I do.)
Titanic - For the same reasons other folks mentioned before. All of them. When we saw the old folks holding each other, my husband and I just cuddled up and bawled unashamedly.
Somewhere In Time
The Way We Were
Bicentennial Man....right at the end. <snivel>

okay, I'm off for a good stiff glass of perspective and soda...anyone else want to join me?

Tony Montana
08-31-2001, 01:57 AM
dirty dozen

Lionors
08-31-2001, 04:00 AM
Ack...almost forgot...

[list]
Armageddon
Terms of Endearment

Damn, I cry more than I thought...

Sea Sorbust
08-31-2001, 02:34 PM
Forrest Gump Patton

lieu
08-31-2001, 02:45 PM
Patton? Did you mean Platoon? Wow, that's pretty cool.

I think I was suppossed to cry during Bambi and back then I never wanted to disappoint my parents so I'm sure I did.

Other than that (jeez, I hate to admit this) I did tear up a little when Henry torched the dreamhouse so ClayBoy could attend college in "Spencer's Mountain."

Jen Jen
08-31-2001, 05:01 PM
Life is Beautiful
Terms of Endearment
A League of Their Own
What Dreams May Come
Father of the Bride (remake)

SteverinoAlaReno
08-31-2001, 05:44 PM
Shenandoah (the old Jimmy Stewart movie) was for a long time the only movie I'd ever cried at.

Then I saw Life Is Beautiful. And October Sky. (Okay, that's an unususal movie to evoke tears, but the relationship between the main character and his father was eerily familiar.)

Sheesh, I'm getting soft in my old age :)

Heath Doolin
09-01-2001, 02:28 AM
Shane - Any western fan who does not cry when the boy calls is made of STONE

Agree with Iron Giant - I can't hold it back when he says "Superman"

The Incredible Journey (the new one)- I am sorry but I bawl everytime Shadow and his boy meet.

Field of Dreams - Dad, you want to play catch?

Turlough
09-03-2001, 12:51 AM
First post :D

Dr.Shivago
Casablanca

Otherwise all the movies I've cryed at have already been said (And yes, I know Dr.Shivago has already been said)

kismet
09-03-2001, 01:17 AM
Homeward Bound -When Shadow walks over the hill and says "Peter." (over dramatic music, of course.) Lordy, I'm a sucker. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.
I cry when I'm watching movies I've seen a hundred times. I guess that's why I like them so much! :D

the O-man
09-03-2001, 11:33 AM
The first movie I remember making me cry was "The Wizard of Oz" when I was a child.
I remember seeing "Madame X" which also reduced me to tears (during the courtroom scene).
I cried as an adult when I saw "Forrest Gump" in the theater. His mom and his only true love both dying. That was tough.
That movie about the parrot, "Paulie" always makes me cry at the end. Happy tears, actually.

Spooky
09-04-2001, 02:18 AM
Hi, I'm resurrecting this post, because I watched Midnight Cowboy for the first time. Wept like a baby. And it wasn't just from that song sung by Nillson. I'll never take a bus trip again without thinking of that movie. Jon Voight, you have my respect.

Rilchiam
09-11-2001, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Drastic
Harold and Maude, primarily the end sequence. Cat Stevens' "Trouble" as Harold zooms along, expression just numb and dead, towards his final decision. And the concluding moments after that decision is revealed.

I'm there. What I love about that last moment is

SPOILER

the fact that he looks like Kermit the Frog. Long skinny legs and a banjo. It can't have been intentional, since the film was released in 1971, but it's there.

There has just never been anyone like Bud Cort, before or since. Matthew McConaghey came close, and Tobey Maguire was/is a plastic version, but no one else has really had that uncultured innocence.

Monster104
09-11-2001, 12:47 AM
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

When Darth Vader died. Gets me every time.

Subsequently, Star Wars Episode I: Phantom Menace

Pretty much during the whole thing. Gets me every time.

Monster104
09-11-2001, 12:52 AM
Oops. Not Vader (RETJ and all), but I mean Obi Wan.

Sorry.

McKenna
09-11-2001, 01:29 AM
"Avalon", with that glorious Randy Newman score. The scene where old Sam is trying to tell his grandson about the glorious new America he walked into that long ago July 4th of 1914 as a new hopeful immigrant, and all the kid wants to do is watch his stupid TV.

"Schindler's List"

"Baby Mine" from Dumbo (Bambi's mother getting killed didn't get to me much, because I knew some deer hunters and well, that's what happened to deer sometimes)

As a history buff and a great fan of the Broadway musical at which I shed many a tear, the movie "Titanic" just provoked in me tears of laughter, unfortunately.

snermy
09-11-2001, 02:03 AM
Didn't used to _ever_ cry at movies as a kid. (Though I would absolutely gibber in terror at anything scary, but that's a whole other hangup)

Now I'm a big wussie. But the movie has to be good, or it's too unbelievable/annoying to be sad (Dying Young , anyone? Right)
Best comment I EVER read on that was a movie reviewer's line to the effect of my tear stayed in their little ducts, refusing to be jerked.

Movie I cried most at, ever, was
An Angel at My Table

sneef

Rilchiam
09-11-2001, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by McKenna
"Avalon", with that glorious Randy Newman score. The scene where old Sam is trying to tell his grandson about the glorious new America he walked into that long ago July 4th of 1914 as a new hopeful immigrant, and all the kid wants to do is watch his stupid TV.

Yeah, and how about the ending? Michael finally wants to hear about it, and to have his son hear about it, but Sam's so far gone, all he can say is, "I kem to Amirica in 1914...I kem to Amirica in 1914..."

Rilchiam
09-11-2001, 02:28 AM
Okay, I was in a hurry before. Here's my list. Some have already been mentioned.

Any version of A Christmas Carol or Peter Pan, unless they're animated and musical. The latest one with Patrick Stewart is exquistite, although it's missing some of the moments from the George C. Scott incarnation, and the one I saw on PBS.

The entire landing scene in Private Ryan.

Almost all of Deep Impact. Are there really that many people who hate this film? When I saw it, here in LA, the women's room was crammed with weepers, and Mr. Rilch told me that the men's was similarly overrun.

Jessie's song in Toy Story 2. Also, when Sarah MacLaughlan sang it at the Oscars, it was lucky I had Cartman with me (he wanted to see if his movie got anything); only his meanness kept me from losing it.

Often, it's just that one moment that sneaks up on you just when you thought you could keep it together:

Iron Giant: "Superman..."
Heavenly Creatures: "It was a condition of their parole that they never meet again."
Titanic: The shot of the stern disappearing. TITANIC * LIVERPOOL. Two years to build, two and a half hours to destroy.

Sea Sorbust
09-16-2001, 02:46 PM
No, lieu, it really was Patton: War can be exceptionally sad if you think about the men just killed (or wounded).

I confess that I cried during Bambi, too, but didn't mention it since I was only 4 or 5 when I first saw it. I suppose that it should count too. (I had just lost my best [and only] friend, a dog, and my older brother had been badly wounded in war just a couple of years earlier, so . . . . :( )

Czarcasm
09-16-2001, 04:40 PM
I'm moving this to Cafe Society, folks.

Bgo1
09-16-2001, 06:57 PM
Philadephia, when Tom Hanks dies.

Lucki Chaarms
09-16-2001, 07:02 PM
How has nobody mentioned Magnolia?

God, when I saw that movie it immobilized me. I saw it in a little theater in Quebec. I went out behind the theater and sat in behind a pile of snow so I could sob in peace. I have no idea how long it was, but it seemed like forever before I could get it together. Damn, I still love that movie though.

Also:

Life Is Beautiful
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Steal This Movie
Edward Scissorhands (shut up!)
Romeo + Juliet

LC

naughty wicked zoot
09-17-2001, 08:34 AM
i agree with joy luck club, i own it on video and i still bawl like a baby all the way through it.

but i'm a huge sap. i even cry at the dog food commercial where the little girl and her dog are running up the stairs, first as a puppy, then as a dog, then as an old dog and the girl's college age. i actually have to leave the room when that commercial comes on, and my husband just howls with laughter.

others: every damned disney movie ever made. especially jungle book, at the end, when baloo is lying in the light after the fight with shere khan- i know baloo's not dead, and i cry anyway!!!

i can't believe nobody mentioned breakfast at tiffany's. the end of that movie reduces me to a tear-sodden kleenex covered mass of blubbering protoplasm every time i watch it.

man on the moon- the movie about andy kaufman. the end had me sobbing uncontrollably.

any movie where someone on screen in crying. i don't care how bad the movie is, if someone in it crying, so am i.

but, i'm also a sympathic vomitter. if someone onscreen is puking, so am i. maybe i'm just very easily manipulated.

LifeOnWry
09-17-2001, 08:59 AM
I have been known to sob through McDonald's commercials (you know, the one that shows the boy and his sister sharing french fries throughout their childhood and then he looks up and she's the homecoming queen and...and.. he salutes her...*snif* ...with a french fry?)

I am the butt of much teasing hereabouts because I leak nearly constantly. However, movies that required an entire box of tissues:

Of Mice and Men (the Sinise/Malkovich version)
It's My Party (Eric Roberts & a huge ensemble... this one positively WRECKS me)
It's A Wonderful Life
Steel Magnolias
Tim
Threesome

tavalla
09-17-2001, 09:24 AM
In general, I can't stand Richard Dreyfuss; he just irritates the hell out of me for some reason. But that scene in Mr Holland's Opus where he's signing "Beautiful Boy" to his son gets me.

And Schindler's List. All of it.

Rilchiam
09-17-2001, 06:13 PM
tavalla, it would take less time for me to list the scenes in that film that don't make me cry!

djf750
09-17-2001, 11:38 PM
Mask
Brian's Song

BingoBurringo
09-18-2001, 12:12 AM
If you can get through THE YEARLING and THE PLAGUE DOGS without the waterworks, you're not human, you're a robot.

Limerick
09-18-2001, 12:30 AM
Ditto to a lot of the ones already posted.

Here's one that's kind of embarrassing--> Lonesome Dove
Why did Gus have to die, that cantankerous old bastard???

Sublight
09-18-2001, 11:23 AM
Grave of the Fireflies will always be the definitive sad movie for me. I can barely think about now without tearing up.

Space exploration has a strong effect on me as well (real space flight, not SF stuff). Both Apollo 13 and The Right Stuff create a big lump in my throat. I'm sure the IMAX film others have mentioned would have the same effect.

salinqmind
09-18-2001, 07:29 PM
The Miracle Worker (original movie, no remakes).

TV miniseries from the 70's, Rich Man, Poor Man. I watched this with a real he-man Marine who needed a hanky at the end - as did I.

The movie version of Godspell, from the 70's, which seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. This was an eerie, empty musical; very enjoyable, but odd because the cast sang and danced all over NYC which was, well, empty, as though a neutron bomb had gone off. Anyway, of course I cried at the end at the death of Jesus, and then NY got repopulated to the tune of Day by Day...

RufusB
09-19-2001, 12:04 PM
There are quite a few movies on other people's lists that make me teary-eyed, but one not mentioned is Glory.

Fiddle Peghead
09-19-2001, 02:11 PM
Although the rest of the movie is highly annoying, there is a scene in Simon Birch, after Simon's friend's (what was his name?) mother has died where he says that when someone dies their prescence slips away gradually, much like their scent from clothes or linens. Quite touching.

dlb
09-19-2001, 02:45 PM
OK, here goes. I'll try to limit it to movies I haven't seen, but I warn you, I leak a lot.

"The Lion in Winter", at the very end when Eleanor's boat is pulling out. Also just before, in the dungeon. "I would have been a very great fool not to have loved you." Sob.

"A Man for All Seasons", when More is in the tower and his family visits. That scene gets me.

I admit it, I cry at ET. I know someone mentioned it, but I had to as well.

"The Shootist", several places. Yes, John Wayne. Especially the last scene where Ron Howard throws away the gun he has just used to kill the man that shot Wayne in the back. Wayne gives a little nod, then dies. By far his best performance ever.

That'll do it. I just had to chime in.

Sunshine
09-19-2001, 05:24 PM
I'm another one that cries at the drop of a hat. Sitcoms and commercials routinely make me cry. But we're talking about movies here, so...

Already mentioned:
Life is Beautiful
Braveheart
Titanic (the old couple is what got me...the rest of it I couldn't have cared less.)
Sommersby
Deep Impact
Armageddon

My additions:
The Seventh Sign (Ok, I know it's a crappy movie, but at the end when she's having the baby...and she chooses to die so the world will be saved? C'mon!)
My Life (chronicle of a man dying of cancer. You're a robot if you didn't cry in this movie)

I think what gets me is people making choices where they suffer or give up their lives for the greater good. I mean, look at that list...hmm...I think that says something about me. (Don't ask me what.)
Also, just about any scene where they show actual slo-mo footage of the space shuttle taking off. Seeing a man-made creation lift free from the earth...there's something so amazing and tremendous about it that it gets me every time.
(And for a song that gets me every time, try Whitney Houston's One Moment in Time that she sang for the um...'84 Olympics, I think.)

And just for the record so that I'm not a complete and total sap-of-all-saps...I HATED Rudy and Magnolia. With Rudy...I think I just hate that Astin kid so much I couldn't appreciate the story. And Magnolia? I'm not sure I even understood it...we need an "Explain Magnolia" thread so I can see if I even got the point of that move. Either I got it but didn't appreciate it, or I drew the exact opposite conclusion than I was supposed to.

Rilchiam
09-19-2001, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by RufusB
There are quite a few movies on other people's lists that make me teary-eyed, but one not mentioned is Glory.

Oooh, why didn't I think of that! The scene where Colonel Shaw lets his horse go...and when the flag is dropped and someone picks it up...And the last shot.

Satchmo
09-20-2001, 07:24 AM
I can't believe nobody has named "City of Angels" yet. (I might have missed it.) Not the end where Meg Ryan very predictably dies, but the first 5 minutes, when the little girl dies and we meet Seth. I've seen it at least ten times and I cry like a little girl every time. I hate that they can do that to me so easily.

poohpah chalupa
09-20-2001, 12:34 PM
Pay It Forward
Didn't want to, dammit. Knew it was manipulative. Cried like a baby anyway.

Joy Luck Club
Surprised myself for sobbing at the end, but after enduring so much suffering by so many, it all just finally came apart for me when I saw the look of hope in the sisters' eyes looking for their mother.

E.T.
Every time Gertie breaks down when she thinks E.T.'s dying, I lose it.

My sister was a fountain watching Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, but she cries reading Chinese fortunes.
...and my wife will walk out of the room when viewing The Green Mile at specific moments because she can't bear to watch some scenes.

Dale The Bold
09-20-2001, 10:47 PM
Pay It Forward didn't affect me. I wanted to cry at a movie, that oen let me down, I just felt disappointed with it.

Somewhere in Time moistens my eyes.

Titanic moistened my eyes.

Family Man (no one mentioned this one). Opened the floodgates. I bawled at this one. I think because Nicholas Cage played the part of me. :(

brickiebee
09-21-2001, 11:19 AM
I love this thread. My friend and I have an ongoing conversation regarding how unfair it is that they show sad movies on airplanes. So there you are, next to a total stranger, sobbing your guts out over My Dog Skip. Once I was on a flight where they were showing Notting Hill and I wasnít watching it (too cheap for headphones, plus Iíd already seen it). But the part where Julia Roberts is telling off Hugh Grant in the bookstore Ö well, just watching their lips move, forming the words Ö sniff. And itís not even a good movie.

My friend is even worse than me, though. Get this, the flight attendant came over and asked her if she was ok (due to prolonged weeping) during Ö Hope Floats! (gaffaw)

Once again have to agree with The Iron Giant. What a great flick. What a sobfest.

Oh, and LifeOnWry, is that MacDonaldís commercial from the 80ís? Because I remember the one where the older brother is always running off having fun with his friends and his little sister is looking out the window, all sad and rejected feeling, and then he brings her some fries. *boo hoo hoo* wah! And I donít even eat fast food. Iím thinking Ö it may not really be about the fries!

Joe_Cool
09-21-2001, 10:44 PM
Old Yeller is so obvious I won't even mention it. oops. But it's got to be on every list by default.

Schindler's List, of course.

And Highlander, when Heather dies.

Originally posted by SpazCat
Dumbo. I have to leave the room when he goes to visit his mother in "jail."

The Dead Poet's Society. "Oh Captain, my Captain!"

Speaking of Robin Williams, let's see....
Awakenings. When Leonard realizes he's going back into paralysis, then again when all the other patients realize that is what's in store for them too.

And I cried like a little girl the first time I saw The Fisher King. At the part where we see how his wife died. Thank God I was alone, I would never live it down. I bought the tape, but I can rarely bring myself to watch it, just because of that one scene.

burundi
09-21-2001, 10:51 PM
BREAKING THE WAVES, a lovely little art-house movie with Emily Watson (?). It's beautifully done, but the emotional equivalent of being hit by a mack truck.

zoogirl
09-22-2001, 04:56 AM
I don't believe it! I'm actually crying over this thread!
I guess it's all the references. Yes, I cry over Dumbo, "Baby Mine"-must be a Mom thing. I somehow never saw it until my older son was about a year old. Held him on my lap and bawled! I tear up over The Lion King too. Not Mufasa so much, but the beginning and end when they present the cub to all the animals.I get weepy over the part in Titanic when Rose sees the rescue boat and tries to tell Jack, only to realize that he has died. Okay, the old couple and the mother and kids too! Oh, allright, the shot where they show the pictures taken throught her life did it to me again!

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned. Dark Victory 1939 Bette Davis. She's a spoiled rich girl and discovers that she has a terminal brain tumer. Due to the type of tumer, she will appear perfectly healthy until moments before the end. She ends up falling in love with her doctor, cleaning up her act, and marrying him. At the end, she begins to lose her sight, which she knows is the sign that she is dying. She is determined to finish planting her flower bulbs so they will bloom in the spring. She sends her husband off to a medical conference without telling him, and asks her best friend to leave her alone so she can face death by herself. During the last scene she calls her dogs to her and tells them goodbye too. Oh Rats! Gotta go b-b-blow my nose! SNIFF!

(Okay, I think I'm all right!)
Another one- Has anyone see "Robin and Marian"? It's Robin Hood as an old man. It starred Sean Connery and Audry Hepburn. The last speech of Marian's as they were both dying... WHAAAAAAA!!!!!!! :(

simply_cats
09-22-2001, 10:20 PM
I frequently cry over sad movies, but the one that is most bizarre and sticks out most clearly in my mind is Nutty Professor (yes, the one with Eddie Murphy). I was seven months pregnant at the time, and when they started making fun of his weight, I couldn't stop crying. Several times my ex leaned over and said "Do you want to go now?"

And I would sob, "No, it's really f-f-f-funny..."

I am also frequently touched by commercials, and I wailed at the end of the ER episode when Lucy died.

Any kind of childbirth scene will open the floodgates, too.

Skijumper
09-22-2001, 10:47 PM
Dead Poets Society - ditto the last scene. Also when the boys trudge out into the early morning snow after Neil dies.

Fried Green Tomatoes - when Ruth dies.

84 Charing Cross Road - when Frank dies.

The Little Mermaid - when Ariel meets her father at the end. (Don't ask.)

meyer
09-25-2001, 06:40 AM
1) The Land Before Time - I am embarassed to admit this, but when the little dinosaur's mum dies and he sees his own shadow on the rock face and thinks it's her. "Mama, mama, where are you?". It's waterworks time at this point in the movie, even as an adult.
2)Pharlap - Am I the only person who has seen this movie? It is hands down the saddest thing I have ever seen, including real life.
3)The Philishave commercial with the song 'Can't Hide the Man Inside' where the guy hugs his Dad - I have no idea why, but this commercial just gets me.

vivian
09-25-2001, 01:52 PM
A.I haley joel osment REALLY freaked me out, but made me really sad at the same time.

What Dreams May Come i have yet to see a film that moved me emotionally as this one. it still amazes me how one can convey something as difficult (at least i think so) as the emotion as truly loving someone and not make it look mushy.

Forest Gump <sniff> it just is.

that movie with that Rob Schneider guy and that survivor guy....my boyfriend and i couldn't agree on a movie to see, so we wasted valuable sex time watching that garbage....that made me cry.....

RufusB
09-25-2001, 10:13 PM
I just saw this posted, but I just had to post it again. Awakenings. What makes me a bit teary-eyed the most is the fact that it's a true story...

Blacksheepsmith
09-26-2001, 05:41 PM
I never cry, and haven't done so in almost twenty years, when I was little shaver and I slipped and fell on a broken bottle, sat up, and actually saw what a knee looks like when the skin's been slit open and peeled back.

There is one movie that got me real close. I've watched it a dozen times on tape, to trying to get over the edge. Almost, almost, but never quite there.

No one's mentioned it yet.

Jerry McGuire.

The idea of a lousy guy, determined to remake himself into a good person--at almost any cost--resonates very strongly with me. At the end, when what's-his-face-the-football player gets up, and Jerry realizes what he's gotta do, and he goes running back to his wife.

Maybe its 'cause my wife looks like the actress in that movie. Maybe its 'cause I feel sometimes like I'm a lousy guy and I'd like to remake myself.

It gets me real close.

GreenEyes
09-26-2001, 08:54 PM
Romeo and Juliet.. no matter how many times I see it.. it gets me every time.

Titanic.. but only the first time.

A move called Revenge with Kevin Costner.. excellent movie btw.. but the last two minutes is KILLER.

Kritter
10-18-2001, 02:54 AM
I very rarely cry at movies actualy there is only two that I cry to one is Armegeddon-"I'll check in on you from time to time gracey"

and then the one movie that makes me cry every time even if I only see this one sceene is The War with Kevin Cosner- "Whyd they hafta take my daddy"

mack
10-18-2001, 11:13 PM
The Man In The Moon. With Reese Witherspoon and Sam Waterston. I caught the last five minutes once and loved the little snippet of music so much I went out and rented it. The girl behind the counter was practically crying about it when she rang me up. It's just one of those perfect little movies you never hear about. You Can Count on Me is kind of in that genre

I was also caught by surprise by the Joy Luck Club. I had seen it before but had a sort of ho-hum reaction to it. The last time I saw it, though, it really hit me. I'm sitting there practically weeping and choking out answers to my wife thinking "this is ridiculous".

SolomonGrundy
10-19-2001, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Chas.E
I always cry at movies. Hell, I cried when I saw the IMAX film "Earth from Space" because it was too beautiful, seeing high resolution images of what I have always longed to see from orbit myself.

I'm glad you said that, Chas; all this time I was thinking myself a freak for being the only one. It was the first IMAX film I'd ever seen, and that first shot just had me crying but I couldn't explain why.

As for other movies, I'm a total sucker and to quote MST3K, will "cry at the opening of a bank." But there are a few, usually the better-made Disney movies, that make me cry and I don't feel embarrassed or manipulated afterwards. Two that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

The ending of Mulan, when Fa Mulan says "The greatest honor of all is having you for a daughter" gets me every damn time.

The Rhapsody in Blue segment in Fantasia 2000, where the henpecked husband starts dancing in sync with the monkey, and I can't explain at all why that gets to me.

missbunny
10-19-2001, 01:48 PM
The English Patient: "I promise I'll come back for you" and the morphine scene

Of Mice and Men - the "guys like us" scene

Dr. Zhivago - when he's running next to the bus and then drops dead

Cinema Paradiso - during the photo montage

The Way We Were - in front of the Plaza

Shane - "Come back! Come back!"

Breakfast at Tiffany's - when she looks for Cat in the rain

Really, there are too many to mention. I also cry at practically every movie about a lost or dying animal or if a movie has scenes of animals being hurt.

Kent4mmy
10-19-2001, 03:48 PM
One not mentioned yet...The Breakfast Club...Where Emilio Estevez (sp?) is telling the group what he had done to get a Saturday detention...

"And afterward, sitting in Vernon's office, all I could think about was Larry, and how he had to go home and explain to his father what had happened to him, and the...the humiliation... he must have felt. All because of me and my old man. God I hate him. He's like this...this mindless machine I can't even relate to anymore. 'Andrew! You've got to be number one!! I won't tolerate any losers in this family! Your intensity's for shit!! Win!! Win!! Win!!' Sometimes...I just wish my knee would give out, and then he could forget all about me"

My tears come, not from Andrew's dysfunctional relationship with his father, but from the realization that thousands, perhaps millions, of children suffer and struggle in vain trying to live up to their parents unrealistic expectations and all the while blaming themselves.

Sucks

JRT
10-20-2001, 01:19 AM
Many of these have been said but I must share

Family Man
What Dreams May Come (SOBBING!)
City of Angels
Titanic (all the way home I cried, both times)
Fried Green Tomatoes

One I haven't seen yet is Story of Us.

A commercial I saw for the first time tonight:
Couple is in bed, he's asleep, she's sitting up.
"Honey wake up"
Him:Whats wrong honey?
She tells him how she is upset about how they never talk any more, like they used to. Now everything is about work or the kids or bills.
Him:What do you mean we don't talk, I'm talkin' to you right now.
(At this point you think the commercial is going to be some kind of jab at men.)
Few moments pass...
He leans over and in a duck voice "I love you, I love you very much."
Its so sweet and so cute, I'm crying just rememering it. I'm such a sap.

Its a Disney commercial, BTW.

vex77
10-20-2001, 01:40 AM
Any Benji movie.

The Big Cheese
10-20-2001, 06:11 AM
Philadelphia- Just because, and because my brother died of AIDS
I Am Third - though I haven't seen it in a while.