PDA

View Full Version : Commercials you ABSOLUTELY HATE

gorewonfla
08-26-2001, 02:51 PM
-The Wrangler jeans commercial with "Fortunate Son" playing in the back, carefully edited to make it a patriotic instead of protest song. I really hope John Fogerty either files suit or got a LOT of money for them to do that.

-Mazda commercials. That "zoom zoom" kid is really annoying. And I don't know anybody who really cares what driving a car feels like anymore. Most people want a car that won't break down in rush hour traffic.

-A Hilfiger? commercial with all these anorexic models talking about how looks don't matter, it's personality. I didn't see a single normal-looking person in the bunch.

-Collect calling commercials. Now that Eva Savelot is gone, they all suck. Especially that annoying jerk Carrot Top. Yeah, I know that was mentioned in antoher thread, but you can't say "Carrot Top is annoying" enough.

Those four are the worst offenders. When I see another one I really hate I'll post it.

Wicked Blue
08-26-2001, 03:29 PM
Ooooohhh....
Grasshopper sittin' On a railroad track
Sing Polly wolly doodle all the day
A-pickin' his teeth
With a carpet tack
Singing Polly wolly doodle all the day
Fare thee well,
Fare thee well,
Fare thee well my fairy fay
For I'm going to Lou'siana to see my Susyanna
Singing Polly wolly doodle all the day...

This commercial implants this song in my head for days. That's what makes it my Most Hated Commercial.
Enjoy!
:D

Rose

Larry Mudd
08-26-2001, 04:00 PM
Isn't this akin to asking "What urinary infections do you dislike?"

Legomancer
08-26-2001, 04:02 PM
Any and all Mountain Dew commercials and, byt association, those who drink Mountain Dew.

I know this is an older crowd, so surely there's folks here who, like me, remember when they couldn't GIVE away Mountain Dew. It went through several attempts to hip it up ("Gimme a mountain, gimme a Dew!") until they finally hit on the "extreme" bandwagon and struck paydirt. As a result, we endure this endless series of commercials on just how amazingly cool and rad those who drink Mountain Dew are, when in fact, most of them are a bunch of programmer geeks getting into pissing ocntests about who drinks more caffeine.

I especially hate the Crouching Tiger one, where they first rip off/appropriate CTHD, and then have the balls to run a disclaimer saying this commercial not affiliated with any movie. Oh, ok, it's your own invention, huh, you little weasels?

barflyer
08-26-2001, 04:05 PM
I'll switch off the channel whenever any rap is played.
If I happen to be taping, so my VCR channel won't change, I'll turn off the TV entirely for 60 seconds.

Rayne Man
08-26-2001, 04:11 PM
Here in the UK we are getting a stupid Budweiser commercial about some guy inventing a foot long hot dog. Whats the point of this ?. It just does not mean anything to us Brits. Anyway US Bud is just an imposter ,true Bud is made in the Czech Republic !!

MsWhich
08-26-2001, 04:13 PM
The one with the singing belly buttons makes me want to scream in horror every time I see it. That commercial is truly nightmare fuel.

I also hate the stupid beer commercials where the guy asks for "a cold one" and then his buddy dumps an Igloo or a pile of snow on his head. Yeah, funny. If I see this commercial again, I may throw a shoe at the TV.

And I absolutely detest all diamond commercials that imply that if a man does not spend three months' salary on an engagement ring, he is no kind of man. And that diamonds are pretty much the only thing that women care about, so if you don't get a big enough diamond, she is perfectly justified in dumping your ass. DeBeers can bite my left tit.

Kbean
08-26-2001, 04:22 PM
I hate (although it isn't show too much anywmore, thank God) the Wassssap? commericals and the Wassssabi ones. The singing belly button one also drives me absolutely bonkers. Here in Maine, there is a McDonalds commerical on the radio (I'm not sure if they have it other places) where this guy is pretending to try to break the record for saying the word "blueberries" the most times in a commerical to celebrate Maine Wild Blueberry month or some crap like that. Anywho, it's really really obnoxious.

Stellablue
08-26-2001, 04:23 PM
Bowflex!
I see that one so many times I could just scream!

Jeep's Phoenix
08-26-2001, 04:33 PM
That commercial that begins with a lady singing "One pound of hamburger sits in my fridge..." It makes me want to throw the television out the window. (I think it's for some kind of Old Elpaso taco kits.)

Anything concerning "Isuzu Joe."

A local TV station is featuring an ad that seems to be a remake of the "I've fallen and I can't get up" commercial. Their remake sucks--the actress who has fallen and cannot get up has absolutely no talent, unlike the lady in the original commercial.

There's a commercial for either a skin care product or a cat food--I don't remember which--that features a woman watching a cat licking its feet while, in the background, another woman is singing "This is the way....we WASH...our face.." There is no tone or rhythm to her singing. I hate it.

All of the Mike's Hard Lemonade commercials have gotten old.

All of Robitussin's "Dr. Mom" commercials. They make women look like flaky idiots unable to do anything but cook and dispense cold medicine.

Target's commercials are so stupid that it's funny. The same goes for the Martha Stewart/K-mart commercials--except for the one that had Martha naked in a bathtub. That was scary.

Any commercial or infomercial for any "tooth-whitening" product.

JThunder
08-26-2001, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Jeep's Phoenix
That commercial that begins with a lady singing "One pound of hamburger sits in my fridge..." It makes me want to throw the television out the window. (I think it's for some kind of Old Elpaso taco kits.)

It's for El Paso, and it grates on my nerves as well -- mostly because the lyrics to that song are so hopelessly insipid.

NutWrench
08-26-2001, 05:45 PM
The AFLACK duck must die.

--Nut

jayjay
08-26-2001, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Stellablue
Bowflex!
I see that one so many times I could just scream!

But the eyecandy is lovely. Why can't the vice-presidents at my company look like him?!

jayjay

Infovore
08-26-2001, 06:30 PM
Somebody should take that singing bellybutton commercial out and shoot it.

Wassup? I fail to see what's the slightest bit amusing about that one. The only one I thought was vaguely funny was the yuppies sitting around going "What are YOU doing?"

Anything with bare baby butts in it. I hate looking at bare baby butts.

That commercial for "Bibsters" that shows kids all covered with food slop (also the one for paper towels with the kid covered in rib goop). I can't stand commercials with food-messy kids (dirty or muddy doesn't bother me--just food).

While we're discussing commercials--does anybody know if the piece of music in the chicken pox commercial (the one where the toys cry) was written for it or if it can be found somewhere else? I love that piece.

Qwertyasdfg
08-26-2001, 07:22 PM
The commercial with the song "All I wanna do is thank you..." It enrages me. I hate it so much that, in order for that commercial to not be effective I did an Orwellian doublethink to basically force myself to not remember which company did that commercial. In other words I intentionally went into denial so that the commercial wouldn't be effective. Thats how much I hate that fucking song.

The Bitterdrunk Kid
08-26-2001, 08:10 PM
-Mazda commercials. That "zoom zoom" kid is really annoying. And I don't know anybody who really cares what driving a car feels like anymore. Most people want a car that won't break down in rush hour traffic.

You know what's wierd about that kid? He says "zoom zoom" exactly like the kid in the Sixth Sense says "I see dead people!"

Here's my list-

1. Flexmaster- first of all, I can't think that's gonna work. Second, I can't figure out what accent it is she's trying to use. Although it's not as annoying as Miss Cleo!

2. That stupid kid on drugs from the Dell commercials. You know the one where he's trying to sell them to some other kids parents?

AMM9132
08-26-2001, 08:43 PM
I hate that "Epil Stop" commercial where they are advertising that hair removal spray where youjust spray it on and wipe of all the hair. For those who haven't seen it, there is this werewolf looking middle age man who has the hairiest back second only to a Sasquatch and he sprays the "Epil Stop" on and wipes this long strip of hair off his back. Nasty.
:: stomach turning ::

The Bitterdrunk Kid
08-26-2001, 09:54 PM
I hate the anti-smoking commercial thats running now. It's set at "All-Smoke High" (I think), where it's a rule that you have to be constantly smoking. Then they show you the principal, who talks out of one of those electronic voice boxes. All of the kids have huge circles under their eyes, and a lot of the kids have cancer. Now, I know they're trying to keep people from smoking, and that's good. But I just can't see how this commercial is going to work. Of course if you have to chain smoke all day, everyday, then you're going to be pretty un-healthy! This commercial makes a good case against schools requiring students to smoke, and that's about it.

brianjedi
08-26-2001, 10:36 PM
The first "Steve" Dell commercials were OK in a goofy sort of way. (I still say "Sorry about the rhododendrons, Mrs. Feffercorn.") The best thing about those, though, is the parody that TechTV's "The Screen Savers" did. It's hilarious, because Martin does a dead-on imitation of Steve's dorkiness.

For the record, no one has ever liked "Isuzu Joe."

The "Being (insert athlete here)" commercials on ESPN are kind of dumb. They all have the same plot, and they were never funny.

The TNN "We've got POP!" promos are annoying as heck. As much as I like the channel now, the guy in charge of those needs to be "popped" in the mouth.

-Brianjedi

JohnT
08-26-2001, 11:05 PM
That horrible Taco Bell commercial with that idiot singing words to the tune of Bonanza? Ponderosa? - "I'm just a guy, a dude, and I'm hungry!"

PepsiCola - "Down Boy" with Brittany Spears.

Gala Matrix Fire
08-26-2001, 11:31 PM
How 'bout the singing, swinging, skeletal sisters: "there's more to girls than meets the eye, we're strong and beautiful, no lie..." Soft & Dri commercial. Yeah, man! Hot pants and high heels, a pseudo-military chant, and mirrored sunglasses. Kafka-esque.

Personally, I liked Joe Isuzu. And Fred Rated for Federated.

The singing belly buttons are indeed nightmarish.

Dragonblink
08-26-2001, 11:46 PM
I will second the aforementioned singing freaking bellybuttons, phone ads, and Epil Stop commercials (both spray and citrus) and I will also add the cel phone reception stickers (both kinds), any commercial narrated by a child, anything having to do with Old Navy, and all psychic numbers.

Am I the only one who sees the "College Girls Gone Wild" video commercial four THOUSAND times a night? The one that starts off with an Adult Material Not Suitable For Children disclaimer (as opposed to the adult material that IS suitable for children)? I hated that ad the first time I saw it and it's just gotten more irritating through repetition. Honestly, if I wanted a video tape of girls flashing the camera I'd go to my group of community college buds with a camera and say "Hey, everyone flash me!"

It figures, my hundredth post and I'm whining about ads. Could be worse, though, my 69th post was about microwave pork rinds ...

gorewonfla
08-27-2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by bluethree
How 'bout the singing, swinging, skeletal sisters: "there's more to girls than meets the eye, we're strong and beautiful, no lie..." Soft & Dri commercial. Yeah, man! Hot pants and high heels, a pseudo-military chant, and mirrored sunglasses. Kafka-esque.

I don't think Kafka would've thought THAT up even if he was tripping on acid.

Sylkyn
08-27-2001, 12:17 AM
I simply loathe those damn Geiko ads they repeat ad nauseum on MSNBC. They run three in a row...every single time they take a commercial break!

If I see that stupid lizard licking his eyeball one more time, I swear I'm going to hurl a damn brick through the tv screen.

Ferggie
08-27-2001, 12:27 AM
Carl's...Junior...

Thankfully I don't see them much anymore. They were in full force when I was in advertising class, and I think pretty much everyone in the class agreed that they were disgusting, horrible, stupid commercials.

"If it doesn't get all over the place, it doesn't go in your face."

BLEAGH!

DKW
08-27-2001, 03:22 AM
Saw the bellybutton one once, thank the Seven Heavens, during a USA Network showing of Street Fighter: The Movie. I found it infinitely more stomach-churning than anything in the movie. Yes, it was that bad.

Agree on the unbelievably insipid AFLAC and GEICO commercials. Sheesh, how is poking fun at the name of your company supposed to sell anything??

Hate, hate, HATE the moronic, stomach-churning Movie Channel commercials which have the say the word "movies" over and over to Ode to Joy. It's not enough that those barbarians had to bucher one of the finest classical pieces of all time, but they did it for a commercial idea that a SIX-YEAR-OLD could have thought up!

Patience wearing really thin with the American Express (or whatever, I don't even bother to watch anymore) commercials that show a panicky woman rail on about her situation. Dammit, I don't want to see human suffering! Just get to the freaking point!

Really wish BASF would just give it a rest already. All right, you make a lot of products better, you're good people, we get it already.

It's been ages since Budweiser has had a decent commercial. They should have killed the lizards bit at least six months before they did, and I don't even get "Wassssup" or its knockoffs.

Please, no more talking babies.

Or talking animals.

The Sportscenter promos used to be funny, but now they're flat-out surreal. Man, someone must be smoking something over there.

For sheer gall, however, nothing can top the smarmy Philip Morris commercials. I mean, my GOD. What, peddling your coffin nails isn't enough; you also have to insult our intellgience?

Whew...I fell a lot better now. (The hell I do... :p)

Mann Slaughter
08-27-2001, 04:57 AM
1) The Desani bottled water commercials.
The ones I've seen feature R&B, and rap music legends, The Gap Band, and Sugarhill Gang respectively. They have these guys singing classic songs from MY youth to shill their water. (It's alright if they use music from someone else's youth) It might not be so bad if the actions in the commercial were even remotely related to the songs(!)

2) Any baby diaper commercial!
Typically, they have older children with full sets of teeth running around doing "adult stuff" (office work, etc) while wearing only a diaper. I swear, some of these kids look like they'll be shaving tomorrow!

Biotop
08-27-2001, 04:59 AM
There's currently some ad from a hotel chain that offers free travel points or something like that. All I know is that the ad ends with some kid playing golf with an old lady who keeps laughing like a hyena. How I hate this ad. The whole commercial is so obnoxious and even though I've seen it a hundred times I still can't remember what friggin' hotel chain it is and what the travel offer is. Good job, advertising agency!

gorewonfla
08-27-2001, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Biotop
There's currently some ad from a hotel chain that offers free travel points or something like that. All I know is that the ad ends with some kid playing golf with an old lady who keeps laughing like a hyena. How I hate this ad. The whole commercial is so obnoxious and even though I've seen it a hundred times I still can't remember what friggin' hotel chain it is and what the travel offer is. Good job, advertising agency!

That's Holiday Inn. I've been to one twice, and both times I got horrible service.

Stellablue
08-27-2001, 09:29 AM
So we hate lots of these ads. But notice that we often can't remember what product or company they are for! It is not working! We get the joke or hate the joke or the jingle or whatever but we don't know what is being advertised. Have the ads gotten to the point that they are only trying to be clever or artful or offbeat but miss the point? I can't remember which clever ad is for which car. Is is just overload?

vanilla
08-27-2001, 09:33 AM
Oh yes. Carrot top.
I keep expecting him to suddenyl pop up in a regular show..
He is actually more annoying than Gilbert Gottfreid.

Skywatcher
08-27-2001, 11:21 AM
Would somebody please shoot that fool wearing The Riddler's hand-me-downs?

And what's with the jock making fun of the SportsCenter guy's name?

xizor
08-27-2001, 12:03 PM
I can't stand any commercial for Jack-in-the-Box. I will never eat at that restaurant for the mere fact that the guy with the big white plastic head annoys the crap out of me. I want to smack it like a pinata.

bernse
08-27-2001, 12:14 PM
My top hate commercial right now is (I think) from Buck-a-day computers.

It starts out with some really, really lame song "Do you really want a clone"

Cuts to some real ugly kid with braces (obviously the camera-mans kid or something) who shouts "Nooooooooo!"

Chorus again -"Do you really want a cloooone..."

Cuts to some other kid that they dug up just yells"No!!!"

They also have in real small print at the screen something like "$199 shipping and handling not included"

BTW - What the hell is a "clone" a "clone" of in this day and age? Its not like IBM is the premier making of x86 machines.

<gack!>

Oblong
08-27-2001, 12:27 PM
That arthritis drug where they sing the name of the drug over and over. Don't know the name of it but it sounds like "Celebrate!" So it's "Celebrate! Celebrate!" over and over again while the lady dances in the park.

Slacker
08-27-2001, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by xizor
I can't stand any commercial for Jack-in-the-Box. I will never eat at that restaurant for the mere fact that the guy with the big white plastic head annoys the crap out of me. I want to smack it like a pinata.

Jack's are about the only commercials I can tolerate. They're even kinda funny once in a while (the first 800 times at least).

Thank the Good Dude that they're not showing them anymore, but everytime I saw those freaking Verizon Wireless ads with the "People Just Wanna Be Free" song in them I thought to myself, hey - why am I not pouring boiling water on my genitals? If it wasn't bad enough to torture us with these frickin slo-mo peace sign fake hippies once, they ALWAYS ran them twice in sucession, so you were gauranteed a double dose everytime.

I also despise the Cingular Wireless ads. "We're a big heartless corporation that believes in self expression!" What the hell does a cell phone have to do with self expression?

Also, what the hell is wrong with Coors light? Does anyone actually watch their ads before the agency sends 'em to the TV studios? The "want a cold one" series is without a doubt the stupidest chain of ads I've seen in a long time.

And I'll second the nominations for anything involving that little "zoom zoom" bastard. And the Aflac duck. And Geico. Damn I watch too much TV.

Slacker
08-27-2001, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Oblong
That arthritis drug where they sing the name of the drug over and over. Don't know the name of it but it sounds like "Celebrate!" So it's "Celebrate! Celebrate!" over and over again while the lady dances in the park.

LOL yeah that one sucks pretty royally. It reminds me of another one. It's for some type of denture adhesive. It has a bunch of oldies-but-goodies as a symphony biting in to corn et al while a conductor leads them.

Skywatcher
08-27-2001, 12:44 PM
Oh, great, bernse had to go and remind me of PeoplePC and their precocious (ugh!) spokeskid. 25 bucks a month for both the PC and the Net service? Yeah, right, what's the catch?

Jodi
08-27-2001, 01:15 PM
I have to third the Epil-Stop commercial. And fourth it and fifth it. It is the worst.

I was sitting on the couch this weekend, eating Trader Joe's spicy tortilla chips, drinking a Diet Coke and channel-surfing. What did I see? A loving close-up of some chick's hairy armpit being spritzed with some spray. I wasn't sure what to do first, throw up the chips or scrub my eyeballs.

Jeez, the next thing you know we'll be seeing douche demonstrations.

Sunspace
08-27-2001, 01:15 PM
Oy.

I moved a month ago, and didn't order new cable television service. And my VCR blew up a week before the move, so I can't get anything off the air. (I used an old Amiga monitor to display the picture.)

This thread reminds me of half of the reason why I don't really miss TV*.

The other half of the reason was a calculation somewhat like the following:

Cable internet service from Rogers (http://www.rogers.ca): $40/month. Minimum package of TV channels: $17/month. Package of TV channels containing channels I actually want to watch: $25/month.Minimal cost including service charges etc: $84/month. And no roomates to share it with.

Of course, if you want the Fancy Digital Channels (http://www.shoprogers.com/store/cable/digitaltvcontent/digitaltv_programming_Specialty.asp?shopperid=&ORIG=), the digital cable box is another 10.95/month. And then there's digital programming packages and specialty channels on top of that.

So I could easily spend more than $100/month on cable.

*Except Teletoon. And The Simpsons. Oh yeah, and Space, the science fiction channel. And CBC Newsworld. But except for them...

Ethilrist
08-27-2001, 01:41 PM
Those soda ads start out funny, the Obey Your Thirst ones, because they make traditional commerical icons look goofy (basketball players bumping their heads into doorways). Then they spoil it with the attitude, Obey your Thirst! Ignore commercials! (well, except this one...).

Any Old Navy commercial. As a wise person once said, making an Old Navy commercial doesn't mean your career has hit bottom. It means your career has hit bottom, face down and skidding...

Superdude
08-27-2001, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Legomancer
Any and all Mountain Dew commercials and, byt association, those who drink Mountain Dew.

I'm truly sorry to hear that. For I am a Mountain Dew addict. I love the stuff, and have been drinking it since well before this current commerical trend started. Which commercial do I hate? Just about all of them.

Zebra
08-27-2001, 02:26 PM
Are you ready for a cold one?

All of it's stupid permutations as well.

elmwood
08-27-2001, 03:30 PM
I don't know if this counts as a commercial, but I absolutely cannot stand the screaming, mullet-headed guy who sells baseball cards on the "Shop at Home" broadcast that dominates late night programming on low-budget UHF independent stations.

What does that guy have against the Buffalo Bills, anyhow?

Intrinsic
08-27-2001, 04:17 PM
Any pharmaceutical commercial. Peppy music, smiling faces, and sentimental moments describing the new wonders of drug "whatever." The most annoying part is when the monotone voice quickly describes the side effects (paraphrasing) as "some users may encounter side effects fatigue, nausea, achiness, soft stools, incontinence, headaches, liver disease, and rarely death."

White Queen
08-27-2001, 04:46 PM
I abhor the Herbal Essence "Urge" commercials. All of them. I will never buy anything by Clairol ever again because I hate those commercials so much.
There is another commercial that runs on local tv, usually during Mariner games, for Honda lawn equipment featuring a Great Dane named "Bluebell". All I have to say is Bluebell must die!!!!

stolichnaya
08-27-2001, 04:57 PM
So we hate lots of these ads. But notice that we often can't remember what product or company they are for! It is not working! We get the joke or hate the joke or the jingle or whatever but we don't know what is being advertised. Have the ads gotten to the point that they are only trying to be clever or artful or offbeat but miss the point? I can't remember which clever ad is for which car. Is is just overload?

This is an interesting question. Ironically, the reasoning behind these "quirky" or "joke" ads is the very reaction shown in this thread. People are so attuned to marketing BS that they look for it in everything. The strategy behind these ads is to get the brand out there in the context of entertainment rather than selling. Is that still BS? Sure. Does it work better or worse than obvious marketing? Who knows. Because the wonderful secret of advertising is that everyone knows they need to do it, and nobody knows how to tell if it's working. Ah, capitalism.

Three Dog Night
08-27-2001, 05:31 PM
Another annoying commercial is the Friendly's one with the grandfather talking to the baby. No grandfather, ever, would go on and on about a restaurant to a baby. Also, all the other Friendly's commercials are pretty annoying. They all end with that girl with a lisp saying "you and me at fwiendly's." I'm never eating there again.

I also second all nominations for the GEICO gecko and pharmaceutical commercials. For those of you who hate AFLAC, you should know that you can buy a duck that says "aflac, aflac...aflaaaaaaaaaaaac" from them. I got one for free at a fundraiser with them this year.

Netbrian
08-27-2001, 06:28 PM
Where I live, ads for the Shang Company appear on the raido WAY TOO FREAKING much. If I wanted to listen to a guy talking in a slow, emotionless, monotone, I could at least get my computer to do it and hear something interesting.

Spatial Rift 47
08-27-2001, 06:41 PM
The problem with the title of this thread is that it assumes that there are some commercials I don't absolutely hate.

kneekettle
08-27-2001, 07:59 PM
There is a commercial in pretty heavy rotation here that may be playing nationally. It is one of those "Not seen in stores" CD deals that are usually not horrible to see. Most of the time I just sing along with them (although the abrupt song switched can be painful).

Anyway, there is one for this singing cowboy guy that also was in the movie "The Horse Whiperer". It is sooooooo hideous, and goes on forever!

At one point he is going: "Yipi-yi-ti-yippy-yippi" or something and I want to commit a capital offense.

Aaaaargh!

NaSultainne
08-27-2001, 08:15 PM
How 'bout that DiGiornio Pizza commercial with the gameshow host (Wink Martindale, perhaps?) setting the loser guy up for 12 hours in the stereotypical babe-filled hot tub if he can answer the question - who delivered the pizza. "It's not delivery, it's DiGiornio". Sexist pigs.
Number two for sexist crap is the ESPN (I think that's right)commercial with a guy bringing his girlfriend home to meet the folks. As Dad and Mom answer the door, Dad says some tripe like "From what you told us, we expected her to be cute". NEVER will I utilize either product.

TheNewbie
08-27-2001, 08:26 PM
Do you have a problem with feminine itching....?

Need I say more?

OneChance
08-27-2001, 08:30 PM
The anti-smoking commercial with the lady talking out of the hole in her throat. The part that really gets me is when she says, "The tobacco companies did everything they could to keep me from quitting." Uhhh, yeah, and I bet the FBI is watching you right now and the CIA has your phones tapped. Sheesh. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Odesio
08-27-2001, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by kneekettle

At one point he is going: "Yipi-yi-ti-yippy-yippi" or something and I want to commit a capital offense.

Aaaaargh!

Yippi-ti-yi-yay move along little doggie. It's your misfortune and none of my own.

Marc

OneChance
08-27-2001, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by NaSultainne
Number two for sexist crap is the ESPN (I think that's right) commercial with a guy bringing his girlfriend home to meet the folks. As Dad and Mom answer the door, Dad says some tripe like "From what you told us, we expected her to be cute". NEVER will I utilize either product.That's actually for that Rome guy's show on Fox Sports. I think his commercials are pretty funny, especially the one with the expectant couple in the doctor's office, and the woman is getting an ultrasound. The couple is pretty ugly, by the way. They ask, "So what is it going to be?" The doctor replies, "Ugly." That's gold, baby.

Myrnalene
08-27-2001, 09:11 PM
There is a cable movie channel called Flix (which I have because I'm too lame to deserve any decent premium channels). Their tagline is, "Flix. Cool classics for the movie generation." It's delivered in a super-smug way just to let you know how profound a statement it is. God! It fills me with teeth-knashing rage whenever I hear it. So your movies are for all people of roughly 110 years or younger? Stupidity.

Then there was the commercial for Beggin' Strips where the dog runs through the house screaming and moaning about his lust for bacon, "PLEEEEAAAAAAAASEEEEEE PLEEEEAAAAAAASEEEE give me what's in the bag!" and then dissolves into orgasmic glee, "Ohboyohboyohboyohnumnumnumnumnum BACON!! It's BACON!!"

originally posted by Slacker
....everytime I saw those freaking Verizon Wireless ads I thought to myself, hey - why am I not pouring boiling water on my genitals?

I would just like to say, nice work, man. :)

lawoot
08-27-2001, 11:03 PM
The current commercial for Dell with Steve the Dork, where he's in the superstore and 'runs into' a friend and his mother shopping for a computer. What I HATE is the 'friend'. Does this guy have any facial expressions besides 'mouth-gaped stupidity'?

mblackwell
08-28-2001, 12:13 AM
Then there was the commercial for Beggin' Strips where the dog runs through the house screaming and moaning about his lust for bacon, "PLEEEEAAAAAAAASEEEEEE PLEEEEAAAAAAASEEEE give me what's in the bag!" and then dissolves into orgasmic glee, "Ohboyohboyohboyohnumnumnumnumnum BACON!! It's BACON!!"

That was a great commercial, they should bring it back.

Dijon Warlock
08-28-2001, 01:04 AM
There's only one thing that smells like bacon, and that's...BACON!!!!!

I guess I'm the only one that likes the singing belly buttons. And the Britney Spears/Bob Dole one. Getting the pitchman for Viagra? Hilarious. He looks stressed, too.

Ones I hate: car commercials. All of 'em. Every freakin' commercial break, all damned day and night. Is there anything so mercilessly crammed down consumers' throats the way cars are? Houses? Nope. Central air units? Nope. Refrigerators? VCRs? Soda pop? Anything?

Nope. Buy a car! Buy another car! Buy a truck! Get laid more! Buy a couple! Get a different color! Build another garage and buy more cars!!! One for every day of the week!!!! Did we mention: BUY A CAR!?!?!?!?!? Bad credit? No credit? No job? No food? No medicine for your kids? Then BUY A CAR!!!!!!! You need a car to do your best and get the most out of life! Let some guy named Fran :rolleyes: help you get the car you deserve!!! How about two??? Your neighbor's got a red one! Sure, it's 3am right now, but pretty soon you'll be able to BUY A CAR!!!!!

I walk. Less pollution for your children to breathe.

Mann Slaughter
08-28-2001, 01:35 AM
Oh, and Mikey.

(No. Not THAT Mikey)

Here in Cleveland we have a pitchman for home replacement windows. His typical commercial features the usual beautiful babes, while he fills us in on his energy saving windows. His final line is the one that makes me want to climb through the TV and choke the life outta the guy:

"I'm gonna save you a l-o-o-o-o-o-o-tta money!"

:mad: ARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :mad:

Flutterby
08-28-2001, 02:13 AM
Commercials I hate.. hmm..

How about those Amnesty ones on the radio? Now I am not complaining about the group.. they do good work and are trying to change the world. But I do not see how a commercial about a man with his head up his ass is going to help anyone? It goes on about how this guy has a full head of brown hair and pretty eyes and such but no one ever sees it because he has his head up his ass. Basically they are saying anyone who doesn't help them, by association, also has their head up their butt.

Then there are those really dumb Ranier Beer commercials (Ranier Rainbeer!) which basically take sound bites of porn and voiceover certain parts for their commercial.. such as..

Woman: Honey I'm so glad you decided to come up to the cabin with me and the girls.
Man: No problem honey I wasn't doing anything else.
Woman: Your going to love this weekend. I told them all about your big cooler of mountain fresh Ranier beer and they can't wait to meet you.

God.. if I wanted stuff like that I'd go to the adult store then to the liquor store and come home to drink beer and watch porn!

When I hear these I just want to scream and tear my ears off!

Kyla
08-28-2001, 03:42 AM
There are too many to mention, but one that has earned wrath in my house is The Union Plumbers. I don't know if this is a nationwide campaign, or only in the Bay Area, but it's played constantly during Giants games. The Union Plumbers are obviously at a ballgame, comparing themselves to a ballplayer, and say "We'h just a cwuple'a UNION PLUMMAS!" in these ridiculous accents that make them sound like rejects from the Sopranos. Also, they say "He had a great training camp!" Baseball players have spring training, training camp is for football! Couldn't they have done a wee bit of research before playing the ad a thousand times a day for baseball fans?

Baseball games bring out some weird commercials. Best is the one Mike Krukow, former Giants and Cubs pitcher, and current Giants color guy, does for aluminum siding. Krukow yells "Aluminum siding! Where would we be without it?!?!?!" It's so pleasantly surreal.

Kyla
08-28-2001, 03:43 AM
Oops, forgot to mention that those are radio commercials. The only amusing TV commercials are for ESPN and Jack in the Box. You can assume I absolutely hate all the rest.

Dijon Warlock
08-28-2001, 04:51 AM
Oy, thought of another one. It's one of the unavoidable ones for the local technical college, who evidently have bought up 23hrs per day of commercial time. Its opening salvo is a guy down in the corner of the screen saying, "What is 'I.T.'? Is it a drink? Ha-ha, NO! It's Information Technology!" Blah, blah, blah, go to college here, etc. Behind him is a huge laptop screen displaying a cup of coffee being filled.

Now, I don't mean to go off on a rant here (especially whilst channelling Dennis Miller), but if you are going to draw a comparison between a computer term and a cup of coffee, wouldn't you say something like "What is java?" On the other hand, if you want a beverage that superficially resembles the term "I.T.", wouldn't you have a glass of iced tea? Despite that and the fact that he's on my TV about a thousand times a day, I refuse to make the gratuitous slam that he resembles Bob Costas coming off an afternoon of chasing parked cars. I would, but I'm not like that. But if I were, I would. He's that annoying.

invisibleOLDlady
08-28-2001, 08:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dragonblink

Am I the only one who sees the "College Girls Gone Wild" video commercial four THOUSAND times a night? The one that starts off with an Adult Material Not Suitable For Children disclaimer (as opposed to the adult material that IS suitable for children)? I hated that ad the first time I saw it and it's just gotten more irritating through repetition. Honestly, if I wanted a video tape of girls flashing the camera I'd go to my group of community college buds with a camera and say "Hey, everyone flash me!"

----
I HATE that commercial. These sorts of things need to stop. And what the hell is up with those chicks? When I get drunk I'm not overwhelmed with an urge to scream "woooooooooo!" and take off my shirt. How did those "women" even get accepted into college? By taking off their shirts and screaming wooooooooo?

I also suspect these sorts of videos can only encourage the sort of rare idiot that makes hissing noises or kissy sounds in the direction of strange women. Or encourage the sort of freak that starts whispering "you are so sexy, girl" over and over at a person as they wait to cross the straight.

And if these students really were just drunk and having a good time, and not put up to it by the porno producers behind the videos, how do they feel when they see themselves drunk, naked, moving in a clumsy way (not a sexy way-they all look like they have motor skills impairment)?

Ariadne
08-28-2001, 09:12 AM
There are commercials on the radio here in Baltimore for some dentist. They start off with this horrible sound and then the dentist says, "That's what you sound like, but I can help." Then it plays the horrible teeth grinding sound again, and he starts talking about how he helped some guy who'd been banished from his bedroom because of teeth-grinding. Then it plays the horrible sound again.

There was a tv ad a few years ago where a woman was getting ready for work, but her kids wanted to go to the beach. She said that she had an important appointment with a client, and one of the kids said, "Mommy, when can I be a client." So she skips work, goes to the beach, and uses a cell phone to talk to her client. "Girls just wanna have fun" plays while they go to the beach. I hate this commercial. It's sexist and stupid.

I do like the Britney commercial though. The http://www.onion.com did an article this week about a guy who wishes the long form of his favorite commercial played more often. I feel that way about the Britney ad.

Ariadne
08-28-2001, 09:14 AM
oops, that should be http://www.theonion.com

Superdude
08-28-2001, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Netbrian
Where I live, ads for the Shang Company appear on the raido WAY TOO FREAKING much. If I wanted to listen to a guy talking in a slow, emotionless, monotone, I could at least get my computer to do it and hear something interesting.

Are you referring to the Shane Company? Diamonds and jewelry and the like? "Hi, I'm Tom Shane..?" Yeah, those are annoying.

JohnT
08-28-2001, 09:26 AM
Drug commercials where everything is vague and non-specific except for the 37 listed ways this drug can harm/kill you (Lipotor comes to mind, as well as that "purple pill" commercial (Noxium?).)

vanilla
08-28-2001, 09:43 AM
Mann Slaughter: Yes!
I see that one all the time!
Leisuretime Warehouse gets me too..

Gorgon Heap
08-28-2001, 10:21 AM
I don't watch too much TV, and I usually try to zone out during commercials to avoid being brainwashed. The one I have to say I hate above all is this terrible local used-car lot ad with a jingle so obnoxious I want to fire-bomb the place for it's crimes against humanity.
Also, those idiotic commercials about that polar ice gum, or whatever it's called. You know the ones; a couple guys are standing around and then one of them shows off a piece of their anatomy covered with polar bear fur. What the hell? There isn't even a freakin' punchline!

Any Skittles ad: Are they written by Tim Burton or what?

Aallllllll those commercials out nowadays plugging these - what I can only call experimental drugs. The ones that say you'll feel better after taking them, but you might die from it? Are the guys at the FDA hung over and putting their stamp of approval on anything?

xizor
08-28-2001, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Obsidian Flutterby
God.. if I wanted stuff like that I'd go to the adult store then to the liquor store and come home to drink beer and watch porn!

You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

sidle
08-30-2001, 10:18 AM
Hey Netbrian-
I just went to visit my parents in Roswell GA after having
moved away 10 years ago. I had mercifully forgotten ALL
ABOUT the Tom Shang ads. What an unpleasant blast from
the past! How has someone not put a hit out
on this guy by now? NEVER in my life have I hated an
ad sequence more. Except that singing bellybutton crap.
YUCK. I want to copy this whole thread and send it to that
company. Problem is I have no idea what those damn
bellybuttons are selling.

lieu
08-30-2001, 12:04 PM
The ones that are sooo effing stupid I almost laugh is the Mentos commercials. They have some weak-assed scene where no logic is followed and then give you a big smile and a thumbs up. Me thinks the thumb is up their ass.

Another is that silly Shatner fool singing on the priceline.com stage. What right does that lightweight piece of space crap have to act pompous?

Finally, I would knock that battery off headBob Conrad's shoulder right into a cattle prod and run it far enough up his butt to give the gerbil company.

evilhanz
08-30-2001, 12:31 PM
1. Any of the "As Seen on TV" brand of commercials. Of COURSE, they're "As Seen on TV"

2. Any advertisement for a CD collection of "hits". What they really mean is... songs we couldn't give away in the K-Mart bargain bin.

3. Any psychic-hotline commercial. It's astounding that there are people dumb enough to succumb to this form of advertising.

4. Any sex-hotline commercial. Heck, I could have someone killed for $4.99 a minute.

5. All car commercials. Every one. When was the last time anyone bought a car based on a car commercial? The deals they pretend to offer depend on your ability to read 80 lines of fine print at resolutions that would cause an amoeba to squint.

6. Any of those vague pharmaceutical commercials for a magical pill that will change your life. The narrator then proceeds to list all of the dire side-effects from this pill: skin failure (props to Dr. Nick), liver failure, explosive diarrhea, uncontrollable urination, sudden falling down-syndrome, death. No thanks, I'd rather be a depressed, alcoholic loner who's allergic pollen.

7. That riddler-wannabe who's trying to sell me free information about governmet programs that only nazi lesbian eskimos would qualify for. Hey, buddy! Ever hear of Pueblo, Colorado?

By the way, that belly-button commrecial gives me the creeps. Overall, those Gap commercials are weird enough that I don't mind them at all, until I've seen them about 100 times.

Agent0069
08-30-2001, 01:54 PM
....all the Gap and Old Navy commercials. can we say stupid??????? Very good, I knew you could.

Wonko The Sane
08-30-2001, 02:28 PM
My Bitching of the day.

1. Any commercial by Gateway Toyota of Toms River N.J. makes me change radio stations or turn off the radio. It always has a shouty yelling guy who sounds like he is simultaneously doing shots of sulfuric acid, while trying to excrete all of the broken glass he ate the day before. That and the issue that I became aware of when I was in small claims court that day, has tarnished them permanently.

2. That evil/overexcited/obnoxious guy who did Toyota commercials in the late eighties. He's back, and I can't stand him. I'm sure if I met him in a social situation where he wasn't on a combination of crack, methadone, heroin, LSD, BHT, and slimjims, I'd probably like him as a person, but his commercial persona- Echh! I will probably never buy a Toyota because of his commercials, I imagine they are nice cars but I'd hate to contribute to a company that advertizes like that.

3. Any herbal supplement or drug that makes me happier/less anxious/hornier/a better lover/hairier/less hairy/thinnner/stronger/sleepier/awaker.

4. That Miss Cleo.

5. Dell commercials. Thet're good computers. Why have a stoner say so?

6. Diet program commercials, debt consolidation commercials, bad credit solution commercials, condom commercials, paternity determination and heroin detox billboards (popular in the Philly area). I don't have any serious bad habits, credit problems, debt, and I'm thin and celibate. I feel so out of place sometimes.

c_goat
08-30-2001, 03:42 PM
I hate that Sprite commercial with the big Redman puppet or whatever and the kids giving out the Sprite cards...

I like some of the ones people mentioned with songs though...

All I wanna do is to thank you
even though I don't know who you are
you let me change lanes
while I was driving in my car

Gatopescado
08-30-2001, 04:40 PM
my 2 cents:
most of my top 10 hated are already listed, but these need repeating.
carls jr. (always gets muted or changed)
girls gone wild (we got the point after the first 100,000 viewings)
the bear shitting in the woods one (that is creepy)
the overly long hair removal products ads (why are these on during formula one on speedvision? are they targeting a specific audience.....?)
oxy-clean (what is this shit?)
and...
the electocution device being hawked by some slut that is supposed to slim your abs with no exercise ( you know the one, it starts off with poor editing and bad voice over "Hi, I'm Jacinta, a personal fitness traineer...". is that what you call it nowadays? my wife and i figure she is some golddigging whore/frustrated actress with a sugar daddy who says "sure, i'll put you on TV". man, this commercial is LAME!!

Fish42
08-30-2001, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by gorewonfla
-The Wrangler jeans commercial with "Fortunate Son" playing in the back, carefully edited to make it a patriotic instead of protest song. I really hope John Fogerty either files suit or got a LOT of money for them to do that.

Fogarty probably isn't getting much (if any) money from the commercial, since Fantasy Records owns the rights to his CCR songs. The weirdest result of this situation was the mid-1980's lawsuit in which Fantasy Records sued John Fogarty on the grounds that Fogarty's solo hit song "Old Man Down the Road" plagiarized Fogarty's CCR-era hit "Run Through the Jungle." Fantasy lost the suit.

SlightDistrurbance
08-30-2001, 05:46 PM
Subway's Jared.... And his army, may they in one year, be mocked in the streets. What am I talking about? I'm sure they are now.. Hey, look, its Jared from those Subway commercials!!! ((runs over and beats Jared on head with blunt Sub)) Go away you wretch!

Any of the fast cash places..... Specifically, for me, The Check into Cash. Need money before payday? ((screams)) Stop trying to shove that up there!!!! Its an exit only!!

Random
08-30-2001, 06:16 PM
I second the DeBeers ads. Very sleek, great production values, but so slimy. "Hey guys! All women care about is how much money you spend on a rock. Buy one today and get laid tonight."

I actually buy jewelery for women I date. But I go out of my way to avoid diamonds. The only reason they are expensive is the DeBeers monopoly, and I think emeralds look better anyway.

D Marie
08-30-2001, 06:28 PM
I really, really hate the one where the little girl and her father are buying rabbits at the pet store, and it takes so long for his check to be verified that the rabbits reproduce times 1000 while they stand there.

I second the commercials for any prescription medication. Especially the new pill you can take for yeast infections, so you can "kiss those messy creams goodbye." Yeah, thanks for that image.

Pukka_Ag
08-30-2001, 06:52 PM
Aboslute Worst, Stomach-Churning, Gag-Inducing Commercial That Makes You Want to Scratch Your Eyes Out to Relieve the Ungodly Pain: "HEY YOU!!! DO YOU WANT *FREE MONEY* FROM GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS?! *YOU* CAN GET THE MONEY!!!!!" I don't care how against the second amendment you are, that man is living proof that owning guns is worth something; maybe not necessarily to hunt him down and kill him (although many times I'd like to do just that), but at least to shoot the television. Repeatedly.

However, I do not wish that commercial had never existed because then Andy Dick wouldn't have done his parody of it. "Off the coast of China, there's a whole island that'll have SEX with YOU - FOR FREE!!!"

jsc1953
08-30-2001, 07:20 PM
1. Carl's Jr. They've stopped drooling and slobbering crap all over themselves, but they're still disgusting.

2. The entire series of Holiday Inn commercials, with the slacker being humiliated by his family ("whaddya think this is? A Holiday Inn!?? hooohahhhhaahaa..."). I feel sorry for the poor schlub.

3. The urge to herbal campaign. We get it. Orgasmic /organic. Ha ha. (They even had the gall to have the man with the premature organic experience. God, they're clever.)

However, I pretty much love all Jack in the Box commercials, I enjoyed the wassup series (and loved the yuppie "Chad! Pick up the cordless!"), and even kinda like the 'zoom zoom' song.

Baraqiyal
08-30-2001, 07:44 PM
I can’t stand the commercial with one of Ronald Reagan’s sons holding a county-by-county map of the results of the election. “This is the map the media doesn’t want you to see”, he says. Sure. This is the same map that was displayed every day for a month on every network and cable news show in the country, on the home page of every news web site, and was shown in every news magazine and newspaper. It’s still very easy to find in the internet with any search engine.

He goes on to say that the map proves that Bush won “big time”. He seems to think that elections are decided by who wins the most counties. I guess the popular perception that Bush barely eeked out a win is proof of the media conspiracy.

JessEnigma
08-30-2001, 07:54 PM
This commercial is new, I think. I've only seen it three or four times, thus setting a new record for annoying me the fastest (except for Steve the Dell guy....ugh...).

Anyway, it's a Clairol commercial that just has two women screaming in a restaurant, motioning at their hair and pulling bottles of shampoo out of their purses. At the very end, a third woman joins in, screaming and pointing at her hair. I guess they're ecstatic cries of joy, but I could be wrong.

And they could at least have the decency to make the screams sound realistic. Oh, no. They're the obviously fake variety on the exact pitch that rubs against my eardrums like fingernails on a chalkboard.

This is the only commercial that I will go out of my way to mute. I will even watch the Dell commercials hours at a time as long as I don't have to see this evil piece of marketing.

jessica

Legomancer
08-30-2001, 08:42 PM
Someone mentioned "Check Into Cash" commercials... a few years ago here in my town there was a commercial where a guy is looking for some cash and is cleaning out his garage. He discovers a lamp and rubs it, and out pops a genie to grant him a wish. The guy wishes for money, so the genie TAKES HIM TO TITLE LOAN.

Wow what a great genie! If I'd wished for a beautiful woman, would you have taken me to a whorehouse?

mmmiiikkkeee
08-30-2001, 09:28 PM
Barq's commercials... they're back... the same ones... may God have mercy on us all... (well, me anyways) "Johnnie?! Johnnie?!" [tongue flipping in and out like a snake while pouring] - makes me feel like ripping that stupid-looking chin patch off with a pair of vise-grips.

The microwave pizza commercial (don't even remember what company it's for). "dude, no way - yes way - uh ahh - uh huh... alright it worked, don't act like you invented it" If that kid said that to me, he'd be wearing the pizza.

There's this commercial about learning how to trade in foreign currencies..."limit your risks while letting your profits soar!!" - Bullshit; can we say contradiction? The content ain't that bad, I just glaze over when I see investment commercials anyways - the real annoying part is that the guy who's doing the announcing has a very dumb sounding lisp: "Invesfffp in ffforeign currenthies!, get thhhe charths, thhhe grafffths, ..." AARGH!!, let ME tell YOU what to get: an announcer who doesn't need speech-therapy!!
Sometimes I wonder how some commercials even get thought up, let alone put on the air... I mean the people who make 'em spend years in school learning how do make succesful commercials, and companies spend millions on these peices of crap; makes no sense to me - don't they ever review these things before they use them? who does the reviewing? Probably a bunch of chimps who spend their time probing each other with their thumbs instead of looking at the screen.

mobo85
08-31-2001, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by winterhawk11
Wassup? I fail to see what's the slightest bit amusing about that one. The only one I thought was vaguely funny was the yuppies sitting around going "What are YOU doing?" Emphasis mine

Was I the only one who understood this ad as a parody of what Budwiser's ad agency thinks Heineken would do if they created the Wassup series? (Probably payback for Heineken poking fun at Wassup in some of their ads)

jsc1953
08-31-2001, 12:49 AM
Speaking of Heineken...I love theirs, with the couple having a romantic dinner, and the man switches their beers 'cuz his is shorter. His smile after the switch just cracks me up every time.

Fugazi
08-31-2001, 08:02 AM
I usually don't let commercials affect my buying decisions one way or the other. However, I wouldn't eat a Carl's Jr. if they were giving them away, just because of their commercials. Who's bright idea to record someone chewing their food, loudly.

jsc1953
08-31-2001, 11:05 AM
Carl's Jr commercials always remind me of MST3K--whenever a slob character in one of their movies is shown eating, we're treated by the 'bots to a chorus of smack gulp smack belch smack fart gulp smack...

Chanteuse
09-03-2001, 01:52 AM
I add my vote to the Epil-Stop ads. Can anyone tell me why it's called Epil-Stop AND Spray? That is SOOO stupid.

The bear taking a dump in the woods and the talking TP ads--I hate 'em. They really gross me out.

And I can't stand the ones for that Raisin Bran Crunch (or whatever it's called) where you see guys who look like they haven't seen a bar of soap since grade school all chowing down on this cereal. Then it says, "Breakfast is back." I loathe it--those guys make me want to GAG.

All the Tampax commercials, but especially the one where the marching band is out on the football field and you see the drill team dancing, with lots of pelvic thrusts and close-up crotch shots to demonstrate that their product is not bulky and doesn't leak. Absolutely sickening.

The one from Ex-Lax where the one sister snoops in the other's medicine cabinet and notices that she has switched laxatives. Sister #2 answers that she did so because one is all chemicals and Ex-Lax works "with natural senna." Sis #1 says something like, "Very effectively, too," to which Sis #2 replies, with a little knowing smile, "You tried it!" In other word Sis #1 is telling Sis #2, "You should just SEE the size of that rope I coiled up in your bathroom this morning!" This is REALLY something I'd rather not know! :D

Dijon Warlock
09-03-2001, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Mayflower
In other word Sis #1 is telling Sis #2, "You should just SEE the size of that rope I coiled up in your bathroom this morning!" This is REALLY something I'd rather not know! :D Yeah, but you have to admit, this would have made a hell of a better line than what they used. I'd buy their product if they used more rope coiling metaphors. :D

alibey
09-03-2001, 09:37 AM
I hate the one for previcide, the one with at heartburn hotel...uuugggggg. The adds for ESPN's 2 minute drill, clips of people being asked sports related questions and the contestant looking like he is trying to save the world or something..."who had the highest era in 1952 on the american leage?" and the answer is......WHO CARES!!!!!
any of the feed the children comercials, lets send our money overseas (after lining our pockets) to feed these kids who live in the desert (or is that dessert? LOL) I send my money to CONDEMS FOR THE CONDEMLESS, stops that problem before it begins.

PlanMan
09-03-2001, 11:42 PM
The ads - both of them - for the Chevy Avalanche (?), a new SUV/Pick Up thingee. In one two guys are off-roadin' and passenger asks if they could switch, so driver gets out and switches car from one mode to another. (Couldn't passenger just slide over? - thanx PlanWife) In the other, chevy guy steals a dollar from some poor shmo on the street - guy, trying to feed parking meter, asks "change for a buck?" so idiot boy changes from SUV to truck (or whatever) and takes parking meter guys dollar.

BTW - if the ad didn't JUST run, I wouldn't have known the name of the car.

And from these ads I'm supposed to WANT one of these things?

Max Harvey
09-04-2001, 12:07 AM
There's a late-night ad for a collection of contemporary-Christian music that really gives me the creeps. All of the songs (and I do mean all) have this incredibly vacuous, completely emotionless choir.

"Lord, I love to sing your praises..." They sure as hell don't sound like it. They have all the soul of a mid-80s Bank of Manhatten commercial.

tygre
09-04-2001, 12:41 AM
The Holiday Inn Express commercials - all of them. The one I've seen lately has a bunch of suits in a boardroom, waiting for some dumba** to make his presentation that he's obviously unprepared for, and he blurts out "Well, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last nigth!". So we're supposed to want to stay at a place that caters to morons? Not to mention that the name "Express" would tend to suggest something faster, perhaps -I envision Holiday Inn Express as sort of a chain of pay-by-the-hour no-tell motels.

Terminus Est
09-04-2001, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by JessEnigma
This commercial is new, I think. I've only seen it three or four times, thus setting a new record for annoying me the fastest (except for Steve the Dell guy....ugh...).

Anyway, it's a Clairol commercial that just has two women screaming in a restaurant, motioning at their hair and pulling bottles of shampoo out of their purses. At the very end, a third woman joins in, screaming and pointing at her hair. I guess they're ecstatic cries of joy, but I could be wrong.

I'm with JessEnigma on this one. I hated it the very first time I saw it. I just have to mute my TV whenever this one comes on (thankfully not very often). The CC kicks in when I do this, and the dialogue consists of:

(woman screaming)
(various women screaming)
(woman screaming)
Clairol yada-yada-yada

I can tolerate the Pepsi girl, the zoom-zoom boy, even the singing belly-buttons. Heck, bring back Dr. Ruth and her multi-orgasmic shampoo, if it will get these demented women off the airwaves.

Mr2001
09-04-2001, 04:30 PM
I love the Jack in the Box ads (especially the one with the doctor taking off his glasses in every scene), and I even like almost any ad with Bob Dole in it - wasn't there one where he was talking about his "little blue friend", the can of Pepsi?

But I hate Carl's Jr. (food, ads, and all), the dancing military deodorant girls, and any collect calling ad that doesn't feature Mr. T.

Do radio commercials count? I change the station whenever the Medicare PSA comes on. ("Relax, Kathy. Medicare makes it EASY for me to learn about my options and benefits! I can even read about it ONLINE!" "Wow, Mom, I'm impressed." "Ha ha, as you SHOULD BE!")

Simon Met a Pieman
09-04-2001, 06:23 PM
What's with Pillsbury's vain attempt to pull heartstrings with their "My Heart to yours" campaign? That's a surefire recipe for instant rage in my house. The real bummer is that there seem to be other food manufacturers who are jumping on the bandwagon, (though I can't think of the specific spots at the moment.) With Kodak, I'll stomach it. Pictures can sometimes evoke sentimentality, but anyone who gets misty over crescent rolls needs a fist in the crotch. Thanks for letting me share.

aramis
09-04-2001, 06:40 PM
Any of those telephone long distance service ones with Carrot Top or that ex-football guy or anybody else for that matter. In writing this response, I tried to remember that number they advertise and couldn't -- probably because I reflexively change the channel whenever one of them comes on.

Any Old Navy commercial. A slight hijack -- I've never been in one of their stores but I've often wondered: do they sell anything that doesn't have the words "Old Navy" emblazoned on it?

'Uigi
09-04-2001, 06:44 PM
"Happy happy joy of living......" (ad nauseum)

Would Picasso need jingles to sell his works? Mind you, not that I'm horribly offended by his "works of art"; I just don't like the trash very much.

THEN, after I've decided to pass up buying this stuff, they buy enough slots and persist in using the same idiotic jingle. Well, this is SC and I guess business is good.

mods: Can't we move this to the Pit?

Jophiel
09-04-2001, 07:31 PM
Jamie Lee Curtis and the cellphone ad with the car. This is how I see it:

JLC is in her car in the middle of the desert when it breaks down. She speed dials her "Mechanic" (her car must have a lot of trouble) and simply says "Talk to me". This is enough for him to psychically detect the car's problem. Or, more likely, it fills him with rage. Why? Because his advice to JLC is to take your car in the middle of the desert, pop open the hood and then open the radiator cap with your bare hand. Then, stick your face over the hole and peer in. Amazingly, though, his plan backfires because this fixes the car! Doing nothing else, she closes the hood and prepares to drive away, inviting her mechanic to a party in the middle of freaking nowhere (since she's driving through the God forsaken desert in a party dress for Heaven's sake) as thanks for his sage advice. Sheesh...

mobo85
09-04-2001, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by 'Uigi
"Happy happy joy of living......" (ad nauseum)

Would Picasso need jingles to sell his works? Mind you, not that I'm horribly offended by his "works of art"; I just don't like the trash very much.

THEN, after I've decided to pass up buying this stuff, they buy enough slots and persist in using the same idiotic jingle. Well, this is SC and I guess business is good.

I've never seen that, but it seems like the jingle was written by Stinky Wizzleteats.

The Bitterdrunk Kid
09-04-2001, 10:53 PM
The commercials for 1-800-whatever-it-is with Terry Bradshaw and Toby Kieth where there out "fixing fence". Has anybody ever noticed they have no barbed wire, wire cutters, or other fence fixing materials?

The "Howie & Teri" Radio Shack commercials. Not because they're really that bad, but because they're confusing. They give the impression that they're married.

The Lucky Brand, or whatever it is jeans commercials. It looks like an old commercial from the fifties until the marionette flips out and threatens people. Enough said.

ferrisgirl
09-05-2001, 12:21 AM
the "nads" commercials. who thought to name a hair removal product nads? that's weird. i mainly hate the old navy commercials because that blonde girl has no dancing ability whatsoever. they just saw her stupid tan thighs and said okay, dance like a moron in our commercial and everyone will buy the skirts. which i did.

Second Echo
09-05-2001, 05:55 AM
There's a commercial I've seen recently in the afternoons around here (NW U.S.) for Sparklett's bottled water. Basically the whole ad touts how easy it is to call up and order a home delivery of a flat of bottled water to your doorstep. This is accomplished by singing the information to the tune of the theme song from Three's Company. Normally, this would not be a problem--heck, the Three's Company theme song is musical; it's catchy. But the problem with this commercial is that it goes on forever. At least a minute, maybe more. It's just verse after verse after verse. By the time you get to the phone number you're supposed to call, you think "OK, that's it." Nope! There's still another couple verses after that! It's interminable! Shut up already, Sparkletts! PLEASE!

Skywatcher
09-10-2001, 03:08 PM
Just this morning I started hearing some PSA's about trigger locks and I'm already sick of 'em! There's at least three, each featuring some sickeningly sweet kid's voice. In the first, two kids was bouncing on a bed, gun falls on floor, kid picks up gun and plays cowboy, second kid falls on floor and won't "wake up". Kid says, "I was just playing!"

Second PSA: kid's brother has a hole in his stomach because the kid found a gun in their garage and it went off.

The third one has to be the worst: kid says, "I made [baby sister] go away. I hate me."

So far, I've only heard them on streaming audio, but they're in every other commercial break!

Skywatcher
09-10-2001, 03:12 PM
Forgot to mention that the second also ends with the "I was just playin'" line.

Fionn
09-10-2001, 09:35 PM
I hate the anti-smoking ad where a boy with a skateboard actually says that,"All the pressures of being a kid go away when I'm catching some air."
Who the hell thinks a kid would actually speak like that? I've never once in my entire life heard anyone use the phrase "the pressures of being a kid," and I would be forced to snicker at any kids who seriously said it in reference to themselves.
Were the writers of this ad just too lazy to think of any pressures a kid might actually face? I would half-way buy a kid saying "When I'm catching some air, I don't have to worry about whether or not I fit in with the cool kids."

pesch
09-10-2001, 10:32 PM
The kid ad reminds me of an episode of "Real Life Funnies" (slogan "All dialog guaranteed verbatim") in which this dumpy old white guy ad writer was trying out the catch-line for his ad: "Look what's goin' down."

Since my only exposure to TeeVee is at work (in the newsroom), I see a few ads with no sound. There's a new one from some automaker that's 1984-creepy. It pictures people gazing in slack-jawed drooling rapture at an aweseom number of jump-cut images -- reminds me of the "ZigZag" ads from Max Headroom that caused your head to explode -- that coalesce into a particular car model. One of the images is even pseduo-hip: a long (4 seconds, an eternity in this ad) shot of Peter Sellers grinning maniacially as Dr. Strangelove.

Mind, I haven't heard the ad, but it looks friggin' weird.

Missed the singing belly-buttons, thank god. If I saw that in my acid-dropping days, I don't know what I would have done.

DKW
10-28-2001, 01:37 PM
What's especially bad is when someone finds a song that, out of four minutes or more, has maybe one or two lines that are at least remotely relevant to the product. Case in point, the cruise line which used Orinoco Flow. Since it apparently didn't service any of the areas mentioned in the song, it was essentially "Sail away, sail away, sail away!". And a bunch of music.

Ditto Break My Stride for National Car Rental.

Oh, and the product which used Celebrate was Celebrex. Yes, that's the ONLY connection. The song is by Three Dog Night (which produced a number of better-known songs, including Black and White and An Old-fashioned Love Song). Running time is a shade over 3:10.

Here's the song in its entirety (apologize for any mistakes; their pronounciation isn't the greatest):

---
Slippin' away, sittin' on a pillow,
Waitin' for night to fall.
Girl in a dream, sittin' on a pillow;
This is the night to go the celebrity ball.

Satin and lace, here's a little pity,
Didn't find time to call.
Ready or not, gonna make it to the city;
This is the night to go the celebrity ball.

Dress up tonight. Why be lonely?
He'll stay at home and you'll be alone, so why be lonely?

Sittin' alone, sittin' on a pillow,
Waitin' to climb the walls.
Baby tonight, where-ah your dream goes?
She won't be around when she goes to the celebrity ball.

Dress up tonight. Why be lonely?
He'll stay at home and you'll be alone, so why be lonely?

Celebrate! Celebrate! Dance to the music!
---

...and so on, and so forth. This happens at the 1:22 mark, meaning that, in the originla song, there's almost a full minute of "Celebrate! Celebrate!".

What relevance an exhortation for a young couple to go out and have a good time could have to a product aimed at senior citizens is beyond me. Everybody Have Fun Tonight would have been a better choice.

PlanMan
10-28-2001, 08:45 PM
There's a series of radio ads running for - well, I forget, but I think it's a car rental/sales company - where we get the voice, in an annoying and cliche' "NY Jew" of some ad execs father calling with "clever" ad ideas. Of course the ad ideas suck - that's where the humor is supposed to come - but what get's me jabbing the channel button on my car radio is that voice. And from listening to the voice, and what it says, its no wonder the ad exec has his machine answer these calls.

My apologies for the "NY Jew" reference, but this distasteful ad screams with 1950's TV comic stylings.

suziek
10-28-2001, 08:53 PM
Bow-Flex. I hate that commercial. I hate that 42 year old guy that says he's 42 and feels like he's better than yada, yada..... I switch channels every time that awful thing comes on.

Medievalist2
10-28-2001, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Second Echo
There's a commercial I've seen recently in the afternoons around here (NW U.S.) for Sparklett's bottled water. Basically the whole ad touts how easy it is to call up and order a home delivery of a flat of bottled water to your doorstep. This is accomplished by singing the information to the tune of the theme song from Three's Company. Normally, this would not be a problem--heck, the Three's Company theme song is musical; it's catchy. But the problem with this commercial is that it goes on forever. At least a minute, maybe more. It's just verse after verse after verse. By the time you get to the phone number you're supposed to call, you think "OK, that's it." Nope! There's still another couple verses after that! It's interminable! Shut up already, Sparkletts! PLEASE!

I despise that ad, too. I hate commercials that go on and on and on.

Philosophocles
10-28-2001, 10:50 PM
Am I the only one? This commercial really creeps me out for some reason. I am not sure what to make of the concept of gendered oatmeal. What would happen if a man accidentally consumed some of this oatmeal? And what if he then accidentally used Secret deodorant?

anya marie
10-29-2001, 06:19 AM
The box is purple, it's called Quaker Oatmeal's Nutrition For Women. Formulated with calcium, soy protein, iron, folic acid, and vitamins A,B,D,E. THE box in front of me says golden brown sugar, natural, and artificial flavors.

It provides a unique combination of nutrients designed specially for women. For energy, you get b vitamins and complex carbohydrates.
For balance, you are given soy, calcium, magnesium, and
vitamins b6 and e.
And there is a link for a webpage as well, http://www.oatmeal for women.com

Too bad i made a plate of nachos for breakfast.

anya marie
10-29-2001, 06:21 AM
http://www.oatmealforwomen.com

oops.

eyewearlime
10-29-2001, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by DKW

Oh, and the product which used Celebrate was Celebrex. Yes, that's the ONLY connection. The song is by Three Dog Night (which produced a number of better-known songs, including Black and White and An Old-fashioned Love Song). Running time is a shade over 3:10.

I was preteen when Three Dog Night were popular and I can tell you, my sister loved them. She is on the verge of senior citizenship now, and the drug they advertise is, after all, for arthritis. Makes sense; even though I despise it.

BTW, at least they had the decency not to use the original and they did change the arrangement some.

eyewearlime
10-29-2001, 09:34 AM
No one has yet talked about ANY ad for Nike? Sheesh!

I despise the Gatorade ads, "Is it in you?" that show athletes sweating neon colors in buckets, guaranteed to put me off my feed.

The ones I really hate right now are those United Airlines ads; you know, "Why I love my job?" First of all--I'm betting they are all actors, they all seem to me that they are straight out of Central Casting. And worse yet, the airlines are laying off people by the thousands; yet these commercials are airing incessantly on the news programs and now in the World Series, which have to be the most expensive times to buy commercial time (I know the news programs are). If it were one or two commercials per game, I could forgive them, but there they are at every freaking break--sometimes twice! Southwest Airlines says it is still making money and has pledged not to lay people off; apparently they have trimmed their budget by not airing lots of commercials--I used to love their "Need to get away?" commercials. Gotta give 'em credit for that.

Any Gap ad is the worst, for that matter, any clothing advertised on TV, except maybe Buddy Lee for Lee jeans.

I have to agree with most of the ones mentioned so far, except I love the Jack in the Box commercials, especially the one where he gives us a tour of his house, with a JitB counter in the kitchen and Kato Kaelin as the poolboy. Sheer genius, and they work, 'cause I eat there a couple of times a month just because I love the ads (and sourdough Jacks).

I hate any ad that takes old songs out of context; have they no shame whatsoever? (Oops, of course they don't.) Musicians, please renew your copyrights, please? Maybe we can start a fund to protect the copyrights!

Gala Matrix Fire
10-29-2001, 09:58 AM
I think the Aldara commercial for genital warts medicine is a hoot!

A woman in a gown, traipsing through the woods...a white horse, also traipsing through the woods...somehow this is all connected with genital warts. Funny.

Then the people on the herpes commercial have more fun than I ever had. It's not fair! That kind of fun used to be reserved for people in Pepsi commercials. How I used to ache to have as much fun as they did. Never have, though.

babydrln
10-29-2001, 10:38 AM
I missed the singing belly buttons, but I'm sure I would agree with the general concensus. I hate the "Urge to Herbal," but I kinda like the Mountain Dew ads and love the AFLAC duck.

I hate ALL ADS for feminine products. 'Nuff said.

I despise that commercial where the couple comes in to her apartment and you know they're just going to hop right in the sack. He grabs a couple of beers while she heads to the bedroom, only to discover her roommate is home. At first the guy is disappointed, then he looks at a picture of the two girls, decides to vie for a threesome, and grabs a third beer. This ad makes men look like nothing but rutting animals, if you ask me. DISGUSTING. (blecchh!)

The last on my list--for now anyway!-- is one that played a few months back for Whataburger, in which they're touting the authenticity of their taquitos. They have this young Hispanic woman saying that she likes them "just like her grandmother used to make--eggs con pappas." :rolleyes: PICK A LANGUAGE, LADY! OY!

MaxTheVool
10-29-2001, 10:10 PM
Everyone seems to like Jack-in-the-box ads, but what about the truly ridiculous one with a football game, carnivores vs. rice cakes (or something), which includes the line "the carnivore cheerleaders put their backfields in motion"...

(shudder)

Super Gnat
10-30-2001, 12:08 AM
Oh jeez. . .
The singing bellybuttons make me cry.
Any commercial for toilet paper, especially the one with the bears (and now the ducks). I mean, if you actually think about them for a moment, they're really icky.
All the non-smoking commercials. "It's my choice not to smoke." Never mind how many people die from lung cancer every year... one good one though, is the one with the big bro and the little bro. They do fun stuff and little bro really looks up to big bro. Then big bro takes a ciggie from someone, and then he sees his little bro just looking at him... maybe that's an anti-drug commercial, I dunno.
One that always annoyed me was the one for some random ISP where the dude *Reaches the end of the Internet*. All I can think is, that's an inordinate amount of pornography.
All car commercials, except for the *Get up, get up, put your body in motion* one, just because that song is so incredibly awesome.

Dale The Bold
10-30-2001, 12:37 AM
Okay, TNN must have called a prison and asked for all of the sex offenders so they could utter the name "Pamela Anderson" for their Baywatch ad. They go on about what the show has to offer, beaches, bikinis, [doped-up freak voice] "Pamela Anderson" etc, etc, "Pamela Anderson" etc, etc. [shudder]

anya marie
10-30-2001, 04:20 AM
DeBeers diamond commercials, too smarmy for words. Chances are good that i will have to go out and buy my own diamond.
All commercials for pads and tampons, why do they always show the products soaking up mass quantities of thin blue liquid?
Venus Razors, like a ten dollar razor will improve my selfesteem.
Deodorant, because you are a pathetic subhuman if you even have a trace of a smell.
Hair Dyes and coloring kits, nobody would notice if i dyed my hair.
Lunchables and premade tinned pastry, FEH!

k.os
10-30-2001, 10:07 PM
Eureka Whirlwind Vacuum Cleaner. The one where that blonde woman that goes on to say that "No one has to worry about any allergy in my house anymore!" Great! Have a peanut! :rolleyes:

Sublight
10-30-2001, 11:24 PM
The new ads for NOVA English Schools.

A 40-ish guy is standing in the middle of a giant courtroom facing a tribunal of people in black robes and Eyes Wide Shut masks, all demanding to know why he won't take a class. Every objection he raises is shouted down by the tribunal giving reasons why he has to study English just like everyone else. At the end, he is convinced and is dragged from the courtroom laughing like a maniac, shackled to a pair of sheep.

So many comments, so little time.

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
10-31-2001, 10:35 AM
How about the commercial for 1.800.FLOWERS.COM where this woman sends her brother exactly that birthday gift that every man wants...A "cake" made of fresh cut flowers! For those who haven't seen this, it's nothing more than a bunch of flowers arranged in the shape of a cake. It's very tasty looking, but there's NO CAKE!!

Apart from this being about the stupidest gift imaginable, except possibly within the context of a romantic relationship, doesn't this woman, who has presumably known her brother 20-odd years, have any better gift idea?

PigBoy
10-31-2001, 12:28 PM
Any commercial in which the narrator (if that's the proper term) whispers. Examples I can think of are a commercial for some Polaroid thing (can't remember what exactly) and those Skittles commercials where "taste the rainbow" is whispered. I don't know why, but the whispering just really irritates me.

jwg
10-31-2001, 03:37 PM
there's another genital herpes ad - is it valtrex or something like that - where the girl is whining how the older medicine had to be taken for a full week, and she just didn't have time! (any surprize she got herpes to begin with?) now there is this great new medicine that she only has to take for five days! She's cruising around Lake Tahoe or someplace on a speedboat with some guy who, I suspect, does not know about her particular problem. What makes it even better (worse?) is that they show it at every commercial break, sometimes twice in a single break - every night, over and over again. By the way, I see it on Channel 9 in NY, during the show "Blind Date" I guess they know their market.

Chanteuse
10-31-2001, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by babydrln

I despise that commercial where the couple comes in to her apartment and you know they're just going to hop right in the sack. He grabs a couple of beers while she heads to the bedroom, only to discover her roommate is home. At first the guy is disappointed, then he looks at a picture of the two girls, decides to vie for a threesome, and grabs a third beer. This ad makes men look like nothing but rutting animals, if you ask me. DISGUSTING. (blecchh!)

The last on my list--for now anyway!-- is one that played a few months back for Whataburger, in which they're touting the authenticity of their taquitos. They have this young Hispanic woman saying that she likes them "just like her grandmother used to make--eggs con pappas." :rolleyes: PICK A LANGUAGE, LADY! OY!

I totally agree with both of these--mercy, I hate them both. Especially the "eggs con pappas" one--that just sounds plain steeyupid.

There's this one for a line of leather clothing at Target, if I remember correctly, that drives me crazy. During every lull in the speaking, you hear an woman singing, "Speedy motorcycle!" Is this a clip from a song I've never heard? If so, then I hope I never do hear it because it sounds really dorky!

I don't like the telephone commercials with Toby Keith either--because he is in them. If he's not a huge male chauvinist, then most of his songs make him look like one. Every time the commercials end with, "How do ya like me now," I answer, "NOT AT ALL!!" (I do get a kick out of Terry Bradshaw, though. ;))

eyewearlime
10-31-2001, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Sublight

Haven't seen that one, please advise as to what sort of programs it is on. Although it sounds too creepy for words--is it for real?

Laurel

tarragon918
10-31-2001, 06:24 PM
Number one (with a bullet for Jamie Lee Curtis!) right now are the whole series of Voicestream wireless commercials. They're just mean and sick, IMO. First, they showed the girl with the octopus covering her face, whose friends get to arguing about -wasting their precious cell phone minutes-to place a call to 911. Hello?! The girl would be dead by then! Next, they show the couple in the car when the tide comes in, washing all over the car. Um, hello, why are you arguing about cell phone minutes when you could drown and be dead?! That's just stupid, and it grates on my nerves to have Jamie Lee come on and tell us how Voicesteam has no time limits, blah blah... Who cares! Stop being mean in the ads!

Second are the many ads for prescription drugs; I have a huge problem with them. They're practically begging people to make medical diagnosis on themselves (hello all hypochondriacs!), plus they barely skim over the various and sundry side effects! And what is up with that commercial for the antidepressant, the one that shows the little round blob?! Good grief... couldn't they have at least done a better job with the graphics on that?! Argh!

I too am sick of both the Aflac duck and the Geico gecko... an order of Peking duck, please! :D

And let's not forget all the "personal product" ads... do we -really- need to have as many of them as they show, especially during meal times?!

Whew... thanks for letting me blow off a bit of steam, especially about Voicestream. :)

~~tarragon~~

KP235
10-31-2001, 07:10 PM
I want to kidnap Buddy Lee
I would then tie him to a tree
He would be beaten unmercifully
If I would kidnap Buddy Lee

brachyrhynchos
10-31-2001, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Terminus Est
Originally posted by JessEnigma
....Anyway, it's a Clairol commercial that just has two women screaming in a restaurant, motioning at their hair and pulling bottles of shampoo out of their purses. ...<hideous commercial snipped>...

I'm with JessEnigma on this one. I hated it the very first time I saw it. I just have to mute my TV whenever this one comes on (thankfully not very often). ...<more of the hideous commercial snipped>...
Saw this monstrosity only once and it left me with mouth agape. Everyone I asked denied seeing it. I began to think I dreamt it, possibly under the influence of a bad can of Beenie Weenies or high fever.

capacitor
11-01-2001, 12:36 AM
Vioxx has the best theme song ever used for awful commercials.

Carrot Top collect call ads, especially the double-decker one .--real bad

The singing belly-button ad.--The boy's reaction basically sums it up.

Scribe
11-01-2001, 03:26 AM
Ditto for the multi-orgasmic woman getting her hair shampooed commercials. ("Work it, work it, wooooooh!")

There's one that runs on Canadian TV, a public service ad, that I've seen a few times, part of a series, shot in grainy black and white. The narrator says "It only takes sixty seconds for your life to change..."

The first: two kids are climbing on a train that's slowed right down. One falls as the train speeds up, and you see the shocked face of the friend as the other is run over by the train. You hear his screams.

The second commercial is worse. A dad is driving his family in a minivan, and then pulls around one of those "stop for the train" signs. Then you see an overhead shot of the train, wheels screaming and whistle blowing, smashing into the side of the mini-van! Cut to a farmer-type driver, just outside of his car, saying "Oh my God..."

I'm stunned that these commercials made it on TV, but if they work, I guess. (*shudder*) They're like the Union Pacific be-careful-around-trains safety film that MST3K spoofed.

Ethilrist
11-01-2001, 08:33 AM
The local radio stations in the Twin Cities are playing an Arby's ad these days that makes me switch over to the CD player every time.

Their current promotion is based on a refutation of TANSTAAFL. If you walk into an Arby's, order a specific lunch, pay for it and say, There's no such thing as a free lunch, they give you a coupon for another lunch. They say this proves TANSTAAFL is wrong.

They're wrong. That's a twofer. It's not a free lunch. They can bite me.

Sublight
11-01-2001, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by eyewearlime
Originally posted by Sublight

Haven't seen that one, please advise as to what sort of programs it is on. Although it sounds too creepy for words--is it for real?

Laurel

It's for real all right, although they're only on TV in Japan, as far as I know. This is the same English school that makes a selling point out of how badly they treat their teachers, then wonders why none of their employees stick around.

voguevixen
11-01-2001, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Mayflower
[QUOTE]There's this one for a line of leather clothing at Target, if I remember correctly, that drives me crazy. During every lull in the speaking, you hear an woman singing, "Speedy motorcycle"

The first time I saw this commercial I couldn't stop laughing. It's like some Saturday Night Live skit, I figure they're doing it on purpose. (Please? Please tell me they're not serious.) The guy is waxing all philosophical on his clothing designs and this freak chick warbles "Speedy motorcycle" apropos of nothing.

The latest one that drives me nuts is "Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now, gotta go, gotta go, gotta go!"

It's for some bladder control medicine and shows a woman fidgeting wildly on a golf course while her partner lines up her shot. It's so spazzy.

(I actually liked the one with the women screaming over their shampoo/hairspray. Don't you get it? Didn't you know people like that in high school? I cracked up.)

Terminus Est
11-01-2001, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by voguevixen
(I actually liked the one with the women screaming over their shampoo/hairspray. Don't you get it? Didn't you know people like that in high school? I cracked up.)

Oh, I got it all right. It's even more annoying in real life.

Snooooopy
11-01-2001, 10:19 PM
I kind of look funny at that commercial for (I think Valtrex), where the main selling point is that you don't have to take pills quite as often as the leading competitor. A woman looks at the screen and says, "I have a LIFE!"

Well, yeah, I guess you DO! And that's why you're taking those pills!

DarkWriter
11-02-2001, 12:04 AM
I'm pretty sure Teri and Howie of Radio Shack fame have been mentioned. They're annoying to say the least.

But for the past few weeks, they've been showing another commerical - Howie is Frankenstein and Teri is Bride of. She just hisses, and he just grunts, while subtitles flash on the bottom of the screen.

I want to throw something at the TV when that stupid commercial plays.

Sheri

PhiloVance
11-02-2001, 01:14 AM
OVALTINE....Arrrrgggghhhhh

Any prescription drug commercials. Especially that Viagra one where the hick sounding NASCAR race driver advises you to come by and pick up a free sample. HUH??? What if you're a woman...I'm not, but what if you were????? They treat drugs as if it were candy.

Funny, I like the Jack in the box commercials (at least most of them) but I actually hate the food. Burgers are extra greasy and shakes taste like paper. I hate the Carl's Jr. commercials but actually kinda like the food, especially the onion-rings and good ol' Folgers coffee.

Actually of all the fast food joints I probably like Wendy's the best: cheapest and bestest.

There was a thread (I believe in the Pit) about Subway. Man their stuff is BAAAAADDDDD. Not fresh at all and I'm never sure what hands have touched things, ugh!

meyer
11-02-2001, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Super Gnat
Any commercial for toilet paper, especially the one with the bears (and now the ducks). I mean, if you actually think about them for a moment, they're really icky.

That bear is entirely too happy about taking a crap. He is just tickled pink. I have never seen someone come out of the bathroom looking that happy! It grosses me right out.

The other commercial that bothers me is for Dempsters bread. This very smarmy, better-than-thou-based-on-my-brand-preference lady says "Dempsters is the only white bread made with unbleached white flour." What? If you had ever been allowed out of your containment unit long enough to see wheat in its natural state, you would have noticed that it's all brown! That's right, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS UNBLEACHD WHITE FLOUR! Grrrr.

I have to go lie down now.

Chanteuse
11-02-2001, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by PhiloVance
OVALTINE....Arrrrgggghhhhh

Am I the only one who thinks the guy in this commercial looks like a pedophile? He gives me the creeps and I guarantee you that if he was rolling that wagon around MY neighborhood, there is absolutely NO WAY that I'd let my kids anywhere near it!

Also, I hate this commercial because there's always one kid in them who is an absolute dope with an IQ of 2. How do I know this? Well, when the guy comes by with the cart, all the kids yell," The Ovaltine Man!" "Ovaltine" is written all over the cart and they're drinking from cups that have the Ovaltin logo on them. And one kid always says something like, "This chocolate milk is great! Is it NesQuik?" GET A CLUE, KID!!!! :rolleyes:

Chef Troy
11-02-2001, 12:50 PM
...They have this young Hispanic woman saying that she likes them "just like her grandmother used to make--eggs con pappas." :rolleyes: PICK A LANGUAGE, LADY! OY!

Am I the only one who thinks it's hilariously ironic that just after exhorting someone to "pick a language," babydrln lapses from English into Yiddish?

Chef Troy
11-02-2001, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Super Gnat
Oh jeez. . .
The singing bellybuttons make me cry.

The singing bellybuttons make the Baby Jesus cry, too.

Little singing-bellybuttons trivia for you folks: did you know that the woman who provided the singing voice for the singing navels is the actress who plays the daughter on The Sopranos? I guess she wanted to show her range - you know, take on a gutsy role.

Fibonacci
11-02-2001, 03:49 PM
Am I the only one annoyed by the Friends knock-offs hawking Frothes instant coffee drinks as a wonderful addition to their lifestyle? Is it cool to be that ditzy?
Word of warning... we're about to enter the McDonald's warm, fuzzy holiday ad season.

babydrln
11-02-2001, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Chef Troy
...They have this young Hispanic woman saying that she likes them "just like her grandmother used to make--eggs con pappas." :rolleyes: PICK A LANGUAGE, LADY! OY!

Am I the only one who thinks it's hilariously ironic that just after exhorting someone to "pick a language," babydrln lapses from English into Yiddish?

Pardon me, but I do believe Australians and Brits also use the term Oy! So there! LOL

Also, I am not advertising any product and trying to sound "authentic." Double so there! :D

Chef Troy
11-03-2001, 03:13 AM
Pardon me, but I do believe Australians and Brits also use the term Oy! So there! LOL

Also, I am not advertising any product and trying to sound "authentic." Double so there! :D

Nice try, but they spell it "Oi" and use it to mean "Hey there," not "Sheesh!" *grin*

Besides, anyone who doesn't think English, American, and Australian are three different languages simply isn't paying attention.

babydrln
11-03-2001, 10:23 AM

Nice try, but they spell it "Oi" and use it to mean "Hey there," not "Sheesh!" *grin*

Besides, anyone who doesn't think English, American, and Australian are three different languages simply isn't paying attention.

Here's a foreign word for ya! Flibbertygibbit! You know, I was thinking about it this morning, and I just KNEW you were going to say EXACTLY what you said. :p

To further clarify myself about my original post, and DEFEND MY POSITION TO THE DEATH :D let me say this:

I was not complaining that the woman in the commercial used two different languages within the same sentence. I was complaining that she switched in the middle of the same PHRASE. It wouldn't have bothered me at all if she'd said "I like them just like my grandmother used to make....pappas con huevos!" --OR-- "just like my grandmother used to make....eggs with potatoes!" It DID bug the "everliving" out of me, however, when she mixed the two; because in trying to sound authentic, she sounded--as MAYFLOWER put it--steeyupid. And I hope the Hispanic-American community laughed its collective ass off each time the commercial played! (As I did. LOL)

In my post, notice that I didn't say "Pick a language, Lady! Good pena!" --OR--"Bueno Grief!" (And before anyone comes back with a Spanish lesson for me, I know that the phrase "Good grief" is really translated as "ˇdemonio!")

And as long as we're being technical, Brits, Australians and Americans all speak the same LANGUAGE, but with different DIALECTS. :D

Now that I'm through hijacking the topic, back to our regularly scheduled program. (Is nah-nah-nah-nah-NAH-nah a foreign word? ROTFL)

:smart-aleck smiley:

Chef Troy
11-03-2001, 12:17 PM
the three-languages remark was made tongue-in-cheek, as I'm sure you knew.

In fact ALL of the stuff I said was tongue in cheek.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Batsinma Belfry
11-03-2001, 03:09 PM
The tackiest one I've seen is for toilet paper although it starts out looking like a laundry detergent commercial.
There are baskets of laundry on a table with a roll of toilet paper unrolling itself across the table. Then here comes a bottle of generic detergent and it/she is TALKING about how much easier her job is now that the owners of the laundry "her family", are using this great new toilet paper.

In other words, no more skid marks. :rolleyes:

babydrln
11-03-2001, 03:45 PM
the three-languages remark was made tongue-in-cheek, as I'm sure you knew.

In fact ALL of the stuff I said was tongue in cheek.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Hey, I knew that! :) I got a huge kick out of the whole thing! No offense was taken, nor was any meant by anything I said. I enjoyed the mutual ribbing session. It was too much fun! LOL :D

As to the original topic, I have another to list on the commercials I hate. I usually love the Geico ads, but the one where the dog is laughing about his owner's outrageously high bill makes me want to whack him with a newspaper! I think the owner of that dog, instead of just sitting there stunned, ought to turn to the dog and say, "Well, Pooch, I guess since my car insurance is so high, we're going to have to make some cutbacks. What say we start with DOG FOOD?!"

babydrln
11-03-2001, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by hillbilly queen
....a bottle of generic detergent and it/she is TALKING about how much easier her job is now that the owners of the laundry "her family", are using this great new toilet paper.

In other words, no more skid marks....

Now that is just too gross for words. And I thought the feminine product ads were disgusting! LOL

Jeep's Phoenix
11-04-2001, 12:24 PM
I saw a new commercial last night for one of those toilet bowl fresheners that you clip inside the bowl. The commercial opens with a little girl waiting to use the bathroom. When the bathroom door finally opens, her father emerges with a newspaper tucked under his arm. Oblivious to this warning signal, the little girl heads into the bathroom, only to be confronted by a terrible odor that causes her to pull her shirt up over her nose and adds a continuous "braap braap braap" noise to the bland background music. The little girl then wanders into the kitchen, where she finds that her mother has just returned from grocery shopping. Fortunately, her mom has purchased one of these clip-on-the-rim fresheners, which is quickly installed on the offending toilet.

highjack
11-04-2001, 12:26 PM
I'm so tired of the "7-Up yours" joke.
You can see it a mile away, so it's like watching a slow motion collision - endlessly long.

jsc1953
11-04-2001, 01:49 PM
A new one to add...

The new campaign for Pontiac, with the theme "what would you do if someone handed you the keys to a Pontiac?"

Shows people parachuting, white-water rafting, going to Las Vegas. Apparently these people were sitting around with their fingers in their ears, with no concept of what to do for fun, wishing someone would grant them free access to a car.

MaxTheVool
11-04-2001, 02:05 PM
Did anyone else catch the Saturday Night Live parody of the orgasmic shampoo commercial last night?

It took place in a courtroom, started with the (female) judge doing the standard shampoo orgasm, but then added in shampoo for men, and all of the men starting faking orgasms in a quite non-appealing fashion. It was hilarious.

The Red Menace
11-04-2001, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by jsc1953
A new one to add...

The new campaign for Pontiac, with the theme "what would you do if someone handed you the keys to a Pontiac?"

Shows people parachuting, white-water rafting, going to Las Vegas. Apparently these people were sitting around with their fingers in their ears, with no concept of what to do for fun, wishing someone would grant them free access to a car.

Yeah, I've really wondered what the deal with those commercials is. As far as I understand it, they don't keep the car either, they just get it for a week. So Pontiac is doing what exactly that's making these people so happy?

What would I do if somebody gave me the keys to a Pontiac Grand Am? Oh probably about the same thing I do when I get in my own car. I'd probably try to fuck up the transmission maybe. So there you go. I'd try to destroy the car if you gave me the keys to it.

amarinth
11-05-2001, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by jsc1953
A new one to add...

Shows people parachuting, white-water rafting, going to Las Vegas. Apparently these people were sitting around with their fingers in their ears, with no concept of what to do for fun, wishing someone would grant them free access to a car. Don't these people have jobs? If they gave me a key to the Pontiac, I'd still need to be at work on Monday morning.

vivalostwages
11-05-2001, 01:05 AM
That one for Orbit gum they've been showing for the past few weeks, with the British woman that looks like a throwback to the 60s (stupid scarf included), and a test subject (chewing the aforementioned gum) who doesn't lose her cool even when a dog splatters her with mud.
The whole spectacle is irritating, unpleasant, and just so STUPID.

Blarg
11-05-2001, 02:19 AM
There was this car commercial (Honda, I think) that used "Who Let The Dogs Out" as the *song.

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Everytime I hear that *song, I want to crucify myself!

* I use the word 'song' very liberally here, as the piece in reference bears very little resemblance to something that has a tune, melody, or rhythm (as one would expect from a song). It's just a bunch of guys yelling "Who let the dogs out?" at each other in the most annoying imaginable way.

jsc1953
11-05-2001, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by amarinth
Don't these people have jobs? If they gave me a key to the Pontiac, I'd still need to be at work on Monday morning.

I like that...if they gave me the keys to a Pontiac, well, I guess I'd take the Pontiac to work on Monday, instead of the Passat. :) Not exactly a thrilling commercial.

NutMagnet
11-05-2001, 11:53 AM
And how can we forget those sappy Mentos commercials?

Pretty much any commercial with a jock lumbering thru the lines from the teleprompter. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

Can it core A apple?

Yes. It can core A apple.

Tygr
11-05-2001, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Random
I second the DeBeers ads. Very sleek, great production values, but so slimy. Gotta love one of the recent DeBeer's ads that now offers online diamond ordering. You can "design the perfect engagement ring". But it ends with the voice-over saying "You have the rest of your life to design the perfect husband." How frickin' sexist is THAT?!?

There's some new commercial out with a woman saying "I love the sound of my laugh." I start MST3K-ing it by going on, "...and I love looking at my self in the mirror for hours and hours and hours. And I love the way i walk, and the way my hair is always so perfect, and the way my eyes roll around in their sockets with every third syllable that comes out of my mouth."

I'm really not sure about those animated TP ads, mostly because I'm grateful they finally answered the age-old question, "Does a bear shit in the woods?" My mind is till boggling that they took the old "smart-ass comeback to a stupid question" cliche and made an ad campaign out of it.

But I will say I like the Amstel Light commercials. Esp. the one showing the brewmasters, where the voice over says, "Sorry. We're from Sweden. We didn't know light beer was supposed to suck." I always fall over laughing over how the shortest brewmaster keeps whacking himself in the forehead.

LittleTigger
11-05-2001, 04:44 PM
Chewing gum ads, beer ads,
and weightlosss ads!.

America is anorexic enough without
the weight loss ads featuring
broomstick skeletons boasting
about how scrawny they are.

Dale The Bold
11-05-2001, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by amarinth
Don't these people have jobs? If they gave me a key to the Pontiac, I'd still need to be at work on Monday morning.

I find this commercial mildly amusing. I think it's because when I hear the question "What would you do if someone gave you the keys to a Pontiac?" The image pops into my head of a shiny new Pontiac flying over a creek.

Czarcasm
11-05-2001, 07:34 PM
Let's move this to Cafe Society, o.k.?

meyer
11-05-2001, 07:58 PM
All this talk about the Pontiac commercials reminds me of those old (probably 5-7 years ago) A&W commercials, where the A&W bear showed up on a street corner where these people were waiting for the light to change. He then led them to the A&W to eat lunch. These people were just ecstatic, as though eating hamburgers for lunch was some sort of dream come true. And the bear just lead them to the restaraunt, he didn't buy thier food or anything. What the hell were these people so happy about? They couldn't find the restaraunt by themselves? "Well, Bob, we're just going to have to stand on this street corner and starve, because I just don't know how to acquire sustenance. If only some freakish bear would come along and help us!"

Shodan
11-06-2001, 01:46 PM
The lightning flashes thru the cold rain outside the window of the remote mountain cabin. Shodan locks the heavy oaken door on the inside and turns to where the adorable little girl from the Pepsicommercial is tied to a chair.

"Teaching someone else to sing, were you?" he hisses as he places a corkscrew, a sharp knife, the nozzle to an air pump, and a fresh bottle of rubbing alcohol on the table next to her. A silvery string of drool begins its slow way down his chin.

"Don't worry, honey," he murmurs as he starts towards her. "You'll be singing from your heart in no time."

Pepsi - the choice of a new generation.

ramesh
11-06-2001, 03:29 PM
the chevy avalanche ad.

even a second grade nerd has better imagination. I just want to slap the idiot who came up with this idea. Next I want to stomp the moron who oked this ad. And I will be very happy to wring the neck of the dumb retart actor who goes about changing...

tanstaafl
11-06-2001, 04:30 PM
Their current promotion is based on a refutation of TANSTAAFL. If you walk into an Arby's, order a specific lunch, pay for it and say, There's no such thing as a free lunch, they give you a coupon for another lunch. They say this proves TANSTAAFL is wrong.

Well, if Arby's thinks they can prove me wrong, I'll let them try!

rowrrbazzle
11-06-2001, 08:01 PM
I second the DeBeers "design your husband" commerical.

This commercial doesn't run much any more. It's that stupid STARZ! commercial using the melody of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" and the incredibly creative lyrics, "Movies, movies, movies, movies...". Bastards.

PlanMan
11-06-2001, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by ramesh
the chevy avalanche ad.

even a second grade nerd has better imagination. I just want to slap the idiot who came up with this idea. Next I want to stomp the moron who oked this ad. And I will be very happy to wring the neck of the dumb retart actor who goes about changing...

In the 'parking meter' version, Mr. Smart-Ass-Car-Changer would return to find four very flat tires, with toothpix broke off in the nozzles .... change THAT for a buck you weasel!

PlanMan
11-06-2001, 09:41 PM
"nozzles"???? of course that should read "valve stems"

I'm sure that's what I typed. Darn keyboard. (anybody buying it?)

Solomon7t
11-06-2001, 11:10 PM
OK, i dont know if anyone mentioned this yet (i didnt read anything but the title of this thread :) ) but theres one commerical I just cant handle. Its the one for that new Genital Herpies medication with the girl saying "It used to take me a whole week to treat a genital herpies outbreak but..." UGH, I always change the channel the second I see that girl on the screen. Makes me want to barf.

Spit
11-07-2001, 03:09 AM
Ever wonder how much they must have to pay those suckers in the Herpes ads? "Hi, I have GH, but I don't let that get ME down!" *Enter gorgeous guy/girl, who is presumably GH free*

I saw a few posts dealing with Joe Isuzu...Joe rocks!

Oh God, how I hate Miss Cleo. I can't even insult her...Every time I think of her I just get pissed off.

On another note, in the Steve/Dell commercial where he meets a kid and his mom, what is up with that short kids hair? Would anyone go out in public like that? And has anyone else noticed the look the kid's mom gives Steve when shes says "Thanks steven"? It looks likes she wants to rape him in the back room of the store for giving her computer advice.

Skelji
11-07-2001, 09:52 AM
I don't necessarily hate this commercial, but I think it's pretty stupid: The latest Pentium spot.

There are two of them, and each is set inside a UFO, featuring bored aliens sitting around playing on their dull computers. Oh, but then they plug in a Pentium III, the fun begins! Wooooo!

Yeah, ok. I'm supposed to believe that these beings have conquered inter-planetary travel at light speed, yet they need a friggin' Pentium chip to spice up their otherwise dull existance? Sure.

tanstaafl
11-07-2001, 11:48 AM
I have a particular dislike of a series of SUV commercials. I've seen at least three. In them, we start by seeing a person in a danger situation (Man thrown from dog sled lost in glacial wilderness. Man lost in woods in storm trying to start a fire with rocks. Man hiking in woods surrounded by snarling wolf pack.) The SUV rolls up and the occupant tosses a relatively useless item to the victim (A cup of coffee to the dog sledder, a heater to the lost guy and a bag of dog biscuits to the hiker). The SUV then drives off, leaving the victim to their fate.

I'm trying to decide if the point of the commercial is a) drive this and you won't be in these dangerous situations or b) drive this and you too can be an inconsiderate jerk.

ShouldBeWorking
11-07-2001, 03:26 PM
Nexium

Bunch of people standing on rocks set apart on the ocean. After they take Nexium, the rocks move together.

Nexium: The pill that moves tectonic plates.

(I don't know what the pill is for, but if it's a laxative, then I change my vote.)

voguevixen
11-07-2001, 08:12 PM
Attention Smirnoff Ice Ad Agency:

A Mentos-style ad for beer is still a Mentos-style ad!

(Have you seen this? The guys sneak into the "exclusive" dance club by pretending to be kitchen help, and on their way through the kitchen shed their hairnets and outerclothes and emerge on the dancefloor all smug?)

RETARDED!

pizzabrat
11-07-2001, 11:38 PM
I hate how "feminine" is advertisement for "vaginal". It took me years to realize that the "feminine wash" Summer's Eve wasn't just a girly body wash. And when you name your product "Vagisil", I don't think you can do anything else to hide the product's use.

I also hate the Burger King commercials with the "uncouth black man in high class surroundings". I mean, what year are we in?

Old Navy commercials are my favorite though. That is, until the recent runway ones. Before those, they were the best commercials on TV, so the terrible runway ones really disappoint me.

Another commercial that I liked but disturbed everyone else was the Yoshi's Island "exploding stomach". It's THE ultimate commercial.

Skywatcher
11-08-2001, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Dire Wolf
I don't necessarily hate this commercial, but I think it's pretty stupid: The latest Pentium spot.

There are two of them, and each is set inside a UFO, featuring bored aliens sitting around playing on their dull computers. Oh, but then they plug in a Pentium III, the fun begins! Wooooo!

Yeah, ok. I'm supposed to believe that these beings have conquered inter-planetary travel at light speed, yet they need a friggin' Pentium chip to spice up their otherwise dull existance? Sure. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that. Hey, Intel, bring back the Blueman Group!

Terminus Est
11-08-2001, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by voguevixen
Attention Smirnoff Ice Ad Agency:

A Mentos-style ad for beer is still a Mentos-style ad!

(Have you seen this? The guys sneak into the "exclusive" dance club by pretending to be kitchen help, and on their way through the kitchen shed their hairnets and outerclothes and emerge on the dancefloor all smug?)

RETARDED!

Oh. You mean that wasn't an ad for Mentos? I honestly thought that it was!

There's this one that also takes place in a club. These guys are coming one by one out of the rest room. Everyone stares at them as they come out, so they think they're all cool. But, really, everyone is staring at their crotch, because they seem to have wet their pants. The reason? A big-ass flat-screen TV - all these men are lined up (I presume in front of the urinals, but who really knows?) and wetting themselves in excitement.

Now, what's the message here?

Palve
11-08-2001, 12:48 PM
I pretty much hate all commercials, but there are a few I really despise.

- The bellybutton one. That one is scary!
- Any car commercial. They all suck!
- Those stupid "We Card" commercials sponsored by Phillip Morris. Everybody knows they market explicitly to teenagers and this little scam doesn't fool me.
- Commercials for shows I'll never watch (especially "reality" shows)
- I'm not sure if it's shown in other areas, but here we get a commercial that has the song "United We Stand" in the background and a waving American flag. This song which was made by hippies who sang it while burning the American flag!!!

Fionn
11-08-2001, 08:29 PM
I'm very much annoyed by the Gain commercial, where a boy's "science project" consists of having his classmate sniff a towel washed in Gain two weeks ago!. I have to wonder how much time the ad agency put into this. I love my detergent as much as the next person, but is there a person alive who can watch this without rolling his/her eyes?

I absolutely hate the PSA where a boy with a skateboard says "All the pressures of being a kid go away when I'm catching some air!" Nice sentiment, but it's just so annoying to hear him talk about all the pressures of being a kid. I wonder if the writers left it vague because they couldn't think of anything a 12-year-old would worry about, or just because they realized the implausibility of "all the pressures of everyone at school thinking I'm a total jerk go away when I'm catching some air."

PlanMan
11-08-2001, 08:46 PM
The ad for (I think) TiVo that shows the family rushing thru dinner to catch a TV show that starts in 3 minutes, because they are too stupid to either, plan ahead and eat earlier, or watch TV whilst eating. The slurping and snarfing and general yuckiness of them makes me wish I had a TiVo so I could edit them out. (Mebbe THAT'S the point, and not that you don't have to rush dinner..)

Spanky The Dolphin
11-08-2001, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by PlanMan
The ad for (I think) TiVo that shows the family rushing thru dinner to catch a TV show that starts in 3 minutes, because they are too stupid to either, plan ahead and eat earlier, or watch TV whilst eating. The slurping and snarfing and general yuckiness of them makes me wish I had a TiVo so I could edit them out. (Mebbe THAT'S the point, and not that you don't have to rush dinner..)

I hate that one. Is it just me, or is the only thing they're eating are salads?

What's worse is the one with the husband rushing into the house with the baby, while the wife is sitting there watching The Sopranos. He asks her about what's going on, and she says something incoherent. This raises one question with me:

WHY THE FUCK DIDN"T SHE TAPE THE GOD DAMN SHOW!!!!

Not to mention the fact that the ad makes the wife look like an idiot.

I could go on for days about commercials, but I'll wait.

'Uigi
11-08-2001, 09:33 PM
Thomas Kinkaid...

What other asshole runs the same idiotic "Happy Happy Joy in the World (or whatever the wording is) on the radio until people are ready to rip canvas from frames. I don't care how much "light" is in the damned things, they all look like some sort of smaltzy little town that NEVER should have been recorded.

Biotop
11-09-2001, 05:30 AM
IKON

Fear of seeing that ad again may keep me from watching the Arizona/Florida game tomorrow.

I'd fire every one of those frigging dancing office people.

leander
11-09-2001, 05:51 AM
Any of the "Jack in the Box" ads drive me crazy. I just wanna beat that guy with the round head. I don't know why. Maybe it's cause the food = instant diarrhea.

Medievalist2
11-09-2001, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by leander
Any of the "Jack in the Box" ads drive me crazy. I just wanna beat that guy with the round head. I don't know why. Maybe it's cause the food = instant diarrhea.

I hate Jack, too. He's such a know-it-all. He's so smug and condescending that sometimes I want to hit him.

cmburns
11-09-2001, 04:58 PM
The orgasm inducing shampoo ads have been mentioned, but I want to pay special tribute to the one in the airplane. It is so incredibly stupid on so many levels:

1) Who would wash their hair on a plane?
2) Who COULD wash their hair on a plane? Those bathrooms are about 1 square foot in area.
3) Why in the world would there be a button in the bathroom that connected to the plane's PA system? For the sake of argument maybe an emergency button that pings alerts a flight attendant, but a speaker to let the whole plane hear what you're doing?
4) Assuming this woman managed to wash her hair in the bathroom, how did she fit a blow dryer and a stylist in there with her?
5) Even if one person somehow got her hair done, would the flight attendants really have a supply of full-sized bottles of shampoo ready to hand out to everyone else?

Man that ad bugged me, and for a while there it seemed to be playing at every single commercial break. I know it wasn't supposed to be based on a true story or anything, but please, commercials should have at least some tenuous link with reality.

PlanMan
11-11-2001, 11:07 PM
Don't know the product, some computer server ... "Everything's Stolen!!!!" Fire that dumb ass. Why doesn't this brain-of-a-goldfish ask his IT guy what's going on before he call the cops? The IT (stereotypical) even sent guano-for-brains an email.

And fire the morons responsible for this dreck.

alibey
11-12-2001, 09:08 AM
And the season has begun for the anoying Korbel champagne commercials. Do you really expect some of those responces due to the brand of bubbling grape water?

teela brown
11-12-2001, 07:04 PM
Those commercials hawking "magic electric muscle exercisers," or whatever they're called, give me nightmares.

First: does anyone believe that causing your stomach muscles to twitch a bit will give you rock-hard six pack abs?

Second: don't the manufacturers know that watching muscle tissue twitch in response to electrical impulses is sickening? The people look like dead frogs in a biology class experiment, fer chrissake!

Then there are the new elasticized plastic tops you can put over the top of a bowl of food in lieu of Saran wrap or foil. I'm sorry, but they look like shower caps to me, and I immediately make the association of getting hair and hair grease on the food. Retch!

TurdFerguson
11-13-2001, 02:21 AM
(Paraphrasing, of course)
Little Girl: "Mommy, why did you name me 'Savannah?'"
Evil Parent: "We named you after the place you were conceived..."

(Convulsions) I don't even know where to begin on this one.
- A parent who names there kids after the place they got knocked up?
- A parent who would actually tell their kid this?
- A kid who just simply accepts this?
- A car company who thinks this will sell cars?

Maybe I can get some endorsement money for naming my kids 'Serta', 'MerCruiser', and 'Lowe's Top Choice Lumber'.

Dijon Warlock
11-13-2001, 03:14 AM
You have been warned:

One day, as Daddy was sitting in his Barcalounger reading the paper, his oldest daughter came up to him and asked the following question: "Daddy, why did you and Mommy name me Rose?"

"Well, honey, we named you that the day we brought you home from the hospital. As we were carrying you through the garden, a rose petal fell down and landed on your forehead, so we named you Rose."

Upon hearing this, the second daughter came to him and asked: "Daddy, why did you and Mommy name me Lily?"

"Well, honey, we named you that the day we brought you home from the hospital. As we were carrying you through the garden, a lily petal fell down and landed on your forehead, so we named you Lily."

Upon hearing this, the third daughter came to him and asked: "Grrlg, lkb kul ggl lgh lthlg blgr bh lgrblhglghbl?"

(I warned you, remember)

Daddy growls: "Shut up, Cinderblock."

Dijon Warlock
11-13-2001, 03:18 AM
Boy, was THAT ever in the wrong thread. Due to the previous post, I cross-wired with the unfortunate names thread.

D'OH!!

Sorry to have put you all through that.

Darqangelle
11-13-2001, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Philosophocles
What would happen if a man accidentally consumed some of this oatmeal? And what if he then accidentally used Secret deodorant?

I'll guess...

"Spontaneous transexualism"?

From tarragon918 re: Voicestream
First, they showed the girl with the octopus covering her face, whose friends get to arguing about -wasting their precious cell phone minutes-to place a call to 911.

...And calls dialled to 911 (or your operator) are charge-free.

From Ethrilist
They're wrong. That's a twofer. It's not a free lunch. They can bite me.

Well, they could technically say that if you buy one, then you get one "free".
It's when they say "no purchase necessary" that you've got them.

From Philovance
Any prescription drug commercials. Especially that Viagra one where the hick sounding NASCAR race driver advises you to come by and pick up a free sample. HUH??? What if you're a woman...I'm not, but what if you were?????

Apperently, a woman gets quite the "bang" for her "rhymes-with-buck"! While I agree the ads are pretty much selling them as candy ("We got a pill for this and a pill for that and a pill for that and do you have THIS problem? Well, we have a pill for that too! You say you don't have problems? Well we have a pill for that as well! We'll find problems you didn't know you had and get you a pill for it! Stop being reasonable and just consume already!"), the Viagra one is just a bad example. It has no ill effects on your run-of-the-mill woman.

My vote goes for any product that pretty much CREATES a social problem out of something people do not really notice (like, let's sayyyy... Dandruff) then presume to bring about the solution even before you fully comprehend the fact you had a problem in the first place (like, sayyyyy... dandruff shampoo!)

Or how about ads for things that don't even describe what they are.

[Doctorly voice]
"Are you bewteen the ages of 25 and 82? Then you might want to ask your doctor about Cleezmax with "Jugebah". Cleezmax is the legendary new product from the makers of Kozzgorn in Norway and it can help you, too. Cleezmax is designed to go straight to the source. Remember Cleezmax with "Jugebah". Ask for it by name.
[/Doctorly voice]

Darq's response: What just happened here? Something occured here, I'm just not entirely certain what it was...

mobo85
11-14-2001, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by TurdFerguson
(Paraphrasing, of course)
Little Girl: "Mommy, why did you name me 'Savannah?'"
Evil Parent: "We named you after the place you were conceived..."

(Convulsions) I don't even know where to begin on this one.
- A parent who names there kids after the place they got knocked up?
- A parent who would actually tell their kid this?
- A kid who just simply accepts this?
- A car company who thinks this will sell cars?

Maybe I can get some endorsement money for naming my kids 'Serta', 'MerCruiser', and 'Lowe's Top Choice Lumber'.

Don't forget the kicker to this ad: The baby is named Concorde. Reminds me of the family who wanted a big company to name their baby. They had no takers.

PlanMan
11-14-2001, 07:54 PM
No specific ad here, but ANY ad on TV for mail order products...
"Only $19.95, plus 4.95 shipping and handling, so CALL NOW! 555-2726"

Since most of these items are NOT sold in stores (this is even a point of the ad "Not Sold in Stores"), the only way you can get this particular widget is to have it shipped. Thus, the S&H should be part of the price - would come to $24.10 in the above example, or TV rounded to $23.95 or $24.95.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE this in Commercials.

Skywatcher
11-15-2001, 07:26 AM
Just remembered a radio commercial that was so bad I sent email to the company it was advertising, pleading to put an end to 'em. Remember when eBay started their automotive section? And the commercials that made eBay auctions sound like a major league sports broadcast? They were cute at first but I got so tired of those after a couple of months those I had to remove my headphones every time one started. That's when I emailed eBay customer service.

ndorward
11-15-2001, 12:09 PM
I barely watch any TV nowadays so here's a couple things from print media--

1) Toronto (& presumably elsewhere) has been plastered for most of 2001 with ads for milk. (Not a particular brand, just milk in general.) Their idea of how to convince people to drink milk is: huge cheesecake posters of a naked man or woman with a grin-to-the-camera of the type one normally sees in porno, being deluged with gallons of milk. It looks like some extremely weird pornography, actually, & I can't think of anything that makes me less interested in drinking milk.

2) Ads have been appearing lately in the papers--they all have the same format, but the first one really caught my attention:

Picture 1: very very pregnant woman lying down caressing her bared, bulging stomach. Caption: "YOU CAN SHOOT THIS."

Picture 2: just-born baby. Caption: "OR YOU CAN SHOOT THIS."

Picture 3 finally shows....a camera, & a little verbiage about it (price, merits, &c). But I'm just stunned that the ad copywriters paid no attention to the connotations of the word "shoot": I mean, until the last frame, I was seriously wondering if this was some especially creepy anti-abortion ad or something.

RaCha'ar
11-16-2001, 01:27 AM
I cannot BELIEVE no one has mentioned those horrible "truth" anti-smoking ads. They're flat-out offensive (and then they say "think this is offensive? So do we." Oh you're so clever. [rant shortened because this isn't the Pit]). Remember the one where they piled body bags around the Washington Monument? They should all be carried out and shot. Yes, we get your point. Smoking is bad. We know. You don't have to be (insert curse of your choice here) to get that point across.

I hate deodorant ads. Particularly the ones that came out recently featuring guys smirking into the camera while applying deodorant and then sniffing their armpits. UGH.

There's a car commercial out now -- can't remember which car company -- that shows people all over the world in orgasms of delight over their mid-sized sedan. It's bad when it's a suburban American family high-fiving each other over this great car. It's worse when it's an Irish sheep herder. It's even worse when it's a pair of Inuits. But when they ever show an African tribe in the middle of the savannah gathered around this damn car with spears in hand, grinning like damn fools... grrr, that makes me so mad. What the hell use do they have for the damn car?

Here in Richmond a company called Qualitas Solutions, which does training courses for MCSE and stuff like that, has been running an ad set in a bar. A rather unattractive woman -- obviously the girlfriend of the guy who made the low-budget ad so that no money would have to be spent on actresses -- is hit on by a couple of jerks and heads away from the bar in disgust. As she walks away, she overhears a fat, unattractive man tell his friend "Yeah, so now I've been trained by Qualitas Solutions." Naturally this causes the woman to skid to a halt, give her best flirtatious hair-toss, and purr seductively, "Excuse me, but did you say you were trained by Qualitas Solutions?" The fat guy gives this huge, wide-eyed, smug grin to his friend. Unbelievable. I hate this ad. "Get trained at Qualitas Solutions! It'll make you THECKTHY."

zoony
11-16-2001, 01:40 AM
Maybe not ABSOLUTELY HATE, but find deeply disturbing...

Molson Canadian commercial with the guy trekking thru the wilderness to the tune of The Proclaimers "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" to buy a 24 of Canadian, walking all the way back & dropping said 24, whereupon he turns back around to go back...

Maybe it's supposed to be funny, but anybody dropping a 24 of beer - even Molson Canadian...

That's not funny, dude. It's very distressing. And disturbing.

to me, at least...

...oh yeah, and every Pepsi commercial.

z

Fionn
11-16-2001, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by saffostarr
I cannot BELIEVE no one has mentioned those horrible "truth" anti-smoking ads. They're flat-out offensive (and then they say "think this is offensive? So do we." Oh you're so clever.

I thought these incredibly annoying ads were over, but just recently I've seen a new one. The heroic kids go to what I presume is a tobacco company and pester people with glasses of ammonia, because tobacco companies put ammonia in cigarettes. I always wonder how many of the actors step out for a cigarette the second they finish filming.

BuddhaDog
11-16-2001, 11:27 AM
Coors commercials.

Now Thats Original

'nuff said

RaCha'ar
11-16-2001, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Ballybay
I thought these incredibly annoying ads were over, but just recently I've seen a new one. The heroic kids go to what I presume is a tobacco company and pester people with glasses of ammonia, because tobacco companies put ammonia in cigarettes. I always wonder how many of the actors step out for a cigarette the second they finish filming. [/B]

I've seen that one too. It's SO incredibly obnoxious. What I hate the most is the documentary format that their commercials take on -- for example, in the one Ballybay is talking about, they're in a mall with a "hidden camera" tracking their activities. But I *really* doubt that their commercials are the big undercover activities that they want you to think they are. Ergo, they're using false advertising to make their point, really no better than the tobacco companies they protest. Damn hypocrites.

PlanMan
11-16-2001, 10:36 PM
The ads for the anti-cholesterol drug (I forget the name) that has people in a roulette wheel. The sound of the ball rolling around is really annoying.

DKW
11-18-2001, 03:31 PM
Just saw the new Miller commercial...

Cute couple starting to make out, and then someone leaves a message on the answering machine. Someone from a video store mentioning a couple of overdue adult videos (Q: Since when do video stores call about overdues instead of mailing?). Woman, being astonishingly gullible and all, immediately leaves in disgust.

Cue to inside of bar, where we see the call was actually made by some supposed friends who needed another drinking buddy.

The utter disgustingness of this is indescribable. News flash, guys...when you show people using your product, it's best to portrary them as something OTHER than complete scum. Good lord. I feel dirty...

Skywatcher
11-21-2001, 11:49 AM
Is there some rule that all radio spots for Mercedes dealers must be stupid?

Example #1: Couple goes to nice restaurant to celebrate anniversary. Guy gets window seat to watch how the valet handles his Mercedes. Guy gets upset and bangs on window. Couple retreives car and heads for a drivethru instead.

Example #2: Couple goes out for a Saturday night dinner. Guy spends entire night sitting in a Mercedes parked inside a dealership. Woman leaves, slamming door. Guy remarks on how great the door sounds when slammed.

Example #3: Entire commercial features people finding creative ways to insert their Mercedes into conversation.

Example #4: Couple is out for a drive, in the woman's car this time. Woman tells guy, "I love you." Guy says he loves the car. The second time this happens, woman kicks guy out of the car. Guy yells, "I didn't get my turn to drive yet!"

mobo85
11-23-2001, 05:17 PM
Wow. Just as they change the last line, I finally get the joke in the Chrysler Concorde commercial.

Fionn
11-23-2001, 05:41 PM
Time Warner Digital Cable has a new radio commercial that I find extremely annoying.
This being the holiday season, I presume the family in the ad has the extended family over. Luckily, they also have digital cable in every room in the house. The husband asks his wife where the parents are. She replies they're in the study watching football.
He asks her were all the aunts are. They're in the other room, watching a movie, she replies.
He asks her where the kids are. She replies that they'll all up in the kids' room, watching TV.
She asks where they are. He replies that they're in the den, with Time Warner digital music!

Wow, thank God these people have cable so they don't have to mix together as a family. Why don't they just go ahead and made the motto "Time Warner Cable-the way to avoid your entire family this holiday season"?

DrDeth
11-23-2001, 08:37 PM
Well, I approve of any anti-smoking ads, so I don't dislike those.

The ones that p*ss me off, is those for a perfectly ordinary looking silver car- usually some Toyato (yeah, I know, but no free name mentions for these crooks) or something (but Audi does one also). People are then staring at this everyday average car like they have never seen a horseless carriage before- and drooling like it is made of chocolate. No, sorry Toyato- that car is so ordinary that the only way dudes would stare at it that way is if you had the "swedish bikini team" there- naked.

OK, run the same ad for a Lamborgini, and I'll believe it.

Morgainelf
11-23-2001, 11:30 PM
The new Gap ads really piss me off.

1. The song - "Give a little bit..." makes the ad seem like it's going to be about giving to a 9/11 fund, then it turns out to be about giving f**king sweaters!

2. Deep disappointment with Liz Phair for her sellout cameo.

3. Further proof that Johnny from the Goo Goo Dolls is now a complete whore.

Ach, the Agony!

PlanMan
11-24-2001, 08:53 PM
A new GEICO ad, patterned after that "Tiger/Dragon" movie, with GEICO folks flying around a huge atrium in their office building. Yeh. Right. Bring back the lizard.

capacitor
11-24-2001, 09:21 PM
Damn. Tony Hawk is a great skater and such, and his video games rule, but I'll be damned if he doesn't he look like a forty-year old trying to regain his youth, in vain, in his commercials.

DPWhite
11-24-2001, 10:34 PM
The screaming woman on the Appleby's commercial. I won't go back until they stop.

PlanMan
11-24-2001, 10:37 PM
Kia ad where guy and girl are driving thru US Southwest. Beautiful scenery. Guy reading Owners Manual. Even when they stop at Grand Canyon. Evidence that Kia buyers - and their ad agency - are idiots (OK, she may own the Kia, since she's driving, but, he's even more an idiot if its not even his Kia).

Corollary - she drives off, leaving him reading his manual.

pesch
11-24-2001, 11:28 PM
The Dell Dweeb has been mentioned before, but now somebody at the ad agency thinks this goober is so popular that they've spawned two NEW FREAKIN' ADS about him.

Now, I work in a newsroom where we have the TV on (usually without the sound and tuned to CNN or MSNBC), so I have never heard this doughnut-brain speak, but I can tell by what he's wearing that it must be incredibly goofy.

And yes, the poster who mentioned that mama wants to jump his bones is correct. The actress must have gotten hazard pay to smirk like that.

PhiloVance
11-25-2001, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by DPWhite
The screaming woman on the Appleby's commercial. I won't go back until they stop.

Ditto, but I've never been. FWIW friends have told me it's an overpriced eatery. :D

OpalCat
11-25-2001, 06:19 AM
Any commercial that shows people with beads of perspiration on them. Gah!!! I swear I'm not exaggerating when I say that this actually makes my stomach heave. I have to actively control my gag reflex so as not to puke when I see shit like that.

sandalwood
11-25-2001, 08:21 AM
I hate lots of commercials.. but one that was particularly weird and irritating were those commercials for the Kelly family CD's. Anyone remember them? They were from Finland or something but they had stupid songs like "Fell in Love with an Alien" I think it was about a couple of years ago.
It was so bizarre. They looked like Children of the Corn.

Catamount
11-27-2001, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by saffostarr
I hate deodorant ads. Particularly the ones that came out recently featuring guys smirking into the camera while applying deodorant and then sniffing their armpits. UGH.

I've found a way to make those commercials not only tolerable, but funny:

Man: Ever wonder what lightning smells like?
Me: <Ralph Wiggum voice> It smells like burning!</RWv>

For "avalanche" substitute "freezing."

The commercial du jour that makes me want to break things is the one for this over-muscled 40-year-old man advertising his weight-loss/get-buff videos. I hate those with a deep and abiding passion. Especially when they start out mentioning "Get in shape for the summer..." IT'S FRICKIN' NOVEMBER! Gah!

tcdaniel
10-31-2002, 10:42 PM
I hate all commercials period.
Sloppy kids with stupid moronic parents who smile like they've just had a lobodomy.
Anti-smoking ad that features a big black woman driving a tin can with a white guy passenger who lites up a smoke. She suddenly turns off the road and careens thru the wood nearly hitting a tree. He's shocked and looks at her. She sez: You're endangering my life so i'll endanger yours.
How freakin stupid can it get. She's endangering both lives running off the road.
How about propaganda Anti-Drug ads that state if you do drugz, you support terrorism.

Seems like Madison Ave would be smarter than what they are.
They make a decent commercial (if there is such a thing) and they run it in the ground or some group gets a hair up the hoohoo and get it taken off because little Johnny may become influenced by it.

Maybe we need a "Commercials We'd like to See" postings.

tcdaniel
10-31-2002, 11:19 PM
I hate info-mercials too.
I know Mr. Bowflex needs a bow up his hoohoo.

Some of you have complained about the timing of ads that run during the dinner hour. TP/'roids/Herpes/Winged Pads. Maybe you should eat earlier or later. LOL

And to think - some of us sit and watch "The Worlds Funniest Commercials" or "Bleeped Commercials".

Another irk of ours is: And coming up next blah blah blah.
But first blah blah blah and later we'll see blah blah blah.
Ent. Tonite is esp bad about it and so is our local news.
Gimme the damn news now.

And Car ads are the pits - They all scream at us at 5:pm.
But I guess they're desperate to sell us a car so they have to yell.

Or howbout tv shows where you have to pump up the volume, then suddenly A COMMERCIAL screams at you. Thank God for the mute button.

:smack: :smack: :smack:

tcdaniel
10-31-2002, 11:25 PM
I hate info-mercials too.
I know Mr. Bowflex needs a bow up his hoohoo .

Some of you have complained about the timing of ads that run during the dinner hour. TP/'roids/Herpes/Winged Pads. Maybe you should eat earlier or later. LOL

And to think - some of us sit and watch "The Worlds Funniest Commercials" or "Bleeped Commercials".

Another irk of ours is: And coming up next blah blah blah.
But first blah blah blah and later we'll see blah blah blah.
Ent. Tonite is esp bad about it and so is our local news.
Gimme the damn news now.

And Car ads are the pits - They all scream at us at 5:pm.
But I guess they're desperate to sell us a car so they have to yell.

Or howbout tv shows where you have to pump up the volume, then suddenly A COMMERCIAL screams at you. Thank God for the mute button.:eek: :eek:

:smack: :smack:

japatlgt
10-31-2002, 11:43 PM
Oh perfect! There's some smarmy, local, radio spots that "they" run into the ground late at night around here. God, please make 'em stop! You may now return to your regular programming.and that British guy with the suspenders

angelicate
11-01-2002, 12:34 AM

I know this is a very old thread, but this mention, in particular, made me laugh so hard.
I used to work at Whataburger, when I was 16 or so, and unless they've fixed up their taquito recipe, we made the "eggs con papas" :rolleyes: taquitos from chopped up hash brown patties and eggs that came in a milk carton. Not quite like homemade, there. (They are really good though. I like my Whataburger taquitos with potato, egg, cheese and bacon. Plus one of the little salsa tubs to dip it in. Mmmm.)