PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, Welcome to "Cafe Society"

Ukulele Ike
08-29-2001, 10:33 AM
Thanks to TubaDiva and the other Admins for setting up this nice shiny new forum, and thanks to Euty for the nice welcome.

Okay, let the games begin. Who's the better interpreter of Mahler...Bruno Walter or Simon Rattle? Should Leonardo have used a little more green in the background of the VIRGIN OF THE ROCKS? Is "The Eve of St. Agnes" too dirty to teach tenth graders? Were the Marx Bros better at Paramount or at MGM? I like "The Family Circus." Do YOU like "The Family Circus" ?

Scylla
08-29-2001, 10:37 AM
I like "The Family Circus." Do YOU like "The Family Circus" ?

And I had such a high opinion of you only a moment ago.

;)

Delta-9
08-29-2001, 10:39 AM
Where's the bathroom?

vix
08-29-2001, 10:42 AM
Hey, congrats, Uke! A new forum and everything. I'm sure you'll be a great moderator... though I pretty much agree with Scylla on that "Family Circus" thing. If you're gonna like a cheesy comic, you might as well go with "For Better or For Worse".

Eutychus
08-29-2001, 10:42 AM
Yes, we both like "The Family Circus." Deal with it.

Netbrian
08-29-2001, 10:44 AM
Was this just a clever ploy to divert any trivia threads from appearing in GQ? IS IT? WAS IT?! I HAVE WAYS OF MAKING YOU TALK!

Ukulele Ike
08-29-2001, 10:44 AM
And "Nancy."

Ernie Bushmiller, man. A GOD.

Briminator
08-29-2001, 10:45 AM
I heard that only Nazis liked The Family Circus.:D
Congrats neo-mod Ukulele Ike!

August West
08-29-2001, 10:47 AM
Don't forget "Marmaduke" and it's coy method of exposing us to Neo-conservatism. Oh yes, I noticed.

KneadToKnow
08-29-2001, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Eutychus55
I expect fully drawn-out dashed-line drawings of where my thread went when it gets moved, complete with hops across the puddles in the road and loops around drunks.

Congrats, Ukulele Ike.

kabbes
08-29-2001, 10:52 AM
Hah! He's not a proper mod. This forum only has 5 threads in it - and three of them are about the forum itself!

::eyes Uke with disdain::

He's not even been given the full moderator's uniform! Really, you're going to have to try harder than that.

pan

Tansu
08-29-2001, 10:53 AM
What a smashing forum. I shall try to post intelligently and eruditely here.

BoBettie
08-29-2001, 10:57 AM
I'll have a skinny mocha frappachino and a blueberry scone, please. Hey- mod! Hurry UP! I don't have all stinking day!

Man, the service at this cafe sucks :)

Zette

tiny ham
08-29-2001, 10:57 AM
I'll take a tall, half caf skim latte, no whipped cream.

Scylla
08-29-2001, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Eutychus55

Aren't you a little freaked out by the way the dead grandparents are always hanging around translucently?

Can you picture the kid trying to go on a date? He's trying to get to second base and these two lecherous voyeurs are just sitting there watching?

Will they have the same condescending smile on their faces, or will they be appalled? Worse still, will they get all cookied up watching?

If I thought I was being watched by dead ancestors, I'd never be able to have sex.

Why A Duck
08-29-2001, 11:02 AM
I'll be the guy who grabs a stack of brand-spanking new books and/or magazines then heads over to the cafe to peruse, spill, crease, and otherwise decrease the value of the unpurchased items. Then I shall just leave them there or put them back in the wrong places. Hah!

(No, I couldn't do that, I HATE that guy)

Ukulele Ike
08-29-2001, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by kabbes
He's not even been given the full moderator's uniform!

I have the shoes.

They're very NICE shoes.

Enderw24
08-29-2001, 11:03 AM
AhIlovethisnewforum!!!It'stotallyradicalman!I'mgoingtospendeveryhourontheboardsherenow.AHHHHHHHHH!Th ere'stoomanythreadsalreadyanditkeepsgrowingandgrowingandgrowing!Makeitstop!Makeitstop!

Globe-trotter
08-29-2001, 11:05 AM
Congratulations, Uke. You're a brave, brave man. :D

Why A Duck
08-29-2001, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Ukulele Ike
I have the shoes.

They're very NICE shoes.

Knowing this crowd I hope they're hip waders :)

Netbrian
08-29-2001, 11:06 AM
Yes, but do you have the all-important HAT?

Briminator
08-29-2001, 11:07 AM
Hah! He's not a proper mod. This forum only has 5 threads in it - and three of them are about the
forum itself!

::eyes Uke with disdain::

He's not even been given the full moderator's uniform! Really, you're going to have to try harder than
that.

yeah but he is wearing the paper hat that says "trainee"

andygirl
08-29-2001, 11:09 AM
I disapprove on general principle. You're letting these... wastrels and persons of ill repute in? Pish tosh.

Enderw24
08-29-2001, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Enderw24
AhIlovethisnewforum!!!It'stotallyradicalman!I'mgoingtospendeveryhourontheboardsherenow.AHHHHHHHHH!Th ere'stoomanythreadsalreadyanditkeepsgrowingandgrowingandgrowing!Makeitstop!Makeitstop!

Oh dear. I'm sorry, I thought this was the caffeine society.

Patty O'Furniture
08-29-2001, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Tansu:

What a smashing forum. I shall try to post intelligently and eruditely here.

Me too.

What does eruditely mean?

I disapprove on general principle.

Please get off of the General; we need him to steer the ship.

Ukulele Ike
08-29-2001, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Netbrian
Yes, but do you have the all-important HAT?

{moderator shoes ON}

Don't clutter up the nice new forum with silly queries, please.

{moderator shoes OFF}

celestina
08-29-2001, 11:18 AM
I'll have a cup of French Roast with LOTS of whipped cream, please.

BTW, congrats Uke Ike on becoming a mod.

[celestina takes a sip of her coffee, sets her mug down, and rubs her hands in anticipation]

Now to the business at hand . . .

Hey! I LIKE "For Better Or Worse." I think it's a really cute cartoon. I think I really got hooked when Farley died. I still get teared up thinking about what that sweet doggie did.

Oh, come now, Scylla. If you think about it, why should dead ancestors really care if you're having sex or not. They're dead, and they have lives of their own doing whatever it is that dead people do. If I ever caught a dead ancestor watching me get it on, I'd just giggle and ask them if they're enjoying the show. :-D

Demo
08-29-2001, 11:23 AM
It's about time they made you a mod, Uke. Congrats.

Want me to start a Pit thread in here so you can get some practice moving threads?

;)

Netbrian
08-29-2001, 11:23 AM
NAZI!!! HAVEN'T YOU HEARD OF THE FIRST AMENDMENT, HEATHEN?!

hawthorne
08-29-2001, 11:25 AM
Caffè macchiato caldo for me please. No doubt the libertarians will be in in a tick to insist on Cafè Local-Agglomeration-of-Individuals as forum title. Congratulations Uke. I'd always assumed you didn't want the job. Pleased to be wrong. Presumably with "moderator shoes on" you will be affecting a brogue when posting.

Olentzero
08-29-2001, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Attrayant
Please get off of the General; we need him to steer the ship.

Generals don't steer ships. Admirals do.

Evnglion
08-29-2001, 11:27 AM
and to think that this jewel of a forum wasn't here a mere 2 hours ago ;)

jazzmine
08-29-2001, 11:31 AM
Ike, I've known you for a long time now, we've laughed, we've cried, (well, whatever). Can I bring my ducks with me when I come to read the magazines?

Acco40
08-29-2001, 11:43 AM
Ike:

Congrats. Now that you are a mod you can afford to take us all out lunch everyday.

BTW, does your corner office have its own bathroom? That would be sweet.

caircair
08-29-2001, 12:27 PM
Bravo, Ike for becoming a moderator. I LOVED your work for Disney. I even have an old LP somewhere of you singing "It's only a paper moon" on an old radio show.

(Yes, I know exactly who you are!)

iampunha
08-29-2001, 12:27 PM

Absolutely. I couldn't believe how many people don't over in IMHO . . . hopefully this place is a bit more *cultured*.

Dinsdale
08-29-2001, 12:43 PM
You realize this just decreases my chances of posting threads in the correct forum.

Hey Ike, nice shity! Remember the little people.

Dinsdale
08-29-2001, 12:45 PM
Good gawd! That was supposed to be "nice shirt."
Guess I'd better get to work already.

Totoro
08-29-2001, 12:47 PM
One time, my fried cut out a family circus, and came over to my house to show it to me. He lifted up the piece of paper and said "why is this funny?" Unfortunately, he'd shown me the back of the piece of paper, which was a death notice/memorial with a picture of the deceased. I laughed because he'd screwed up, but I also wondered about how much of a coincidence it was that family circus came with a death notice on the back of it...

Anyways, Family Circus isn't funny. I do like For Better Or For Worse though.

AbbySthrnAccent
08-29-2001, 12:58 PM
I wonder what design the moderators underoo's (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=84249) in this forum have, artsy sketches of Beethoven all over, Picasso studies on each panel or the Mona Lisa smirk on the rear?

Great idea for a forum Tuba and Congrats Ike.

Zebra
08-29-2001, 01:04 PM
Euty Uke, there is something TubaDiva never told about your father.

Uke She told me enough. She told me you murdered him.

Euty Uke, I am your father.

Uke That's not true! That's impossible!

Euty Join me and we can moderate a new forum.

Uke Cool!

seawitch
08-29-2001, 01:12 PM
I have the shoes.

They're very NICE shoes.

I thought all mods were issued jackboots, with the exception of a single pair of clogs.

Francesca
08-29-2001, 01:43 PM
Huzzah and hoorah for a new forum and a shiny new moderator! It's brilliant! Rah rah rah!

Alphagene
08-29-2001, 02:26 PM
Do YOU like "The Family Circus" ?
I can't wait until Uke lets "Little Ike, age 7" moderate the forum. It will be so precious!

vix
08-29-2001, 02:52 PM
Euty Uke, there is something TubaDiva never told about your father.

Uke She told me enough. She told me you murdered him.

Euty Uke, I am your father.

[/B]

Ed Zotti: "Use the force, Uke!"

Miss Creant
08-29-2001, 03:10 PM
uh...do you guys have maple scones today?

Ukulele Ike
08-29-2001, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Zebra
Euty Uke, I am your father.[/B]

Well, it's true that I have Eutychus' nose.

It's in a glass jar on my shelf.

{rimshot, and a tip of the hat to Robert Bloch}

Larry Griffin-Kentzel
08-29-2001, 03:15 PM
IIRC, this thread had been done before, here (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=84312). :p

<d & r>

TheLoadedDog
08-29-2001, 05:05 PM
How 'bout Euty and Coldy swap places? Not that Euty isn't a great mod, but there's something about those Dutch cafes.... ;)

Lux Fiat
08-29-2001, 05:48 PM
A new forum? Uke's a mod?

I fear change!

Humble Servant
08-29-2001, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Briminator
yeah but he is wearing the paper hat that says "trainee" As if! Proper headgear for a noir kinda cafe moderator is a soft gray felt fedora or a captain's hat (like in Casablanca and To Have and Have Not), or a beret with a ponytail and dark glasses if it's more a beat mood and they have to keep the peace when the poetry slams get raucous. Maybe Euty and Uke can trade off.

Anyway, I couldn't let the grand opening go by without saying thank you--this is my kinda thing and I'm geeked.:)

So Uke, how about getting me a slug of 151 in a bone china teacup so thin you can see light through the little blue primroses around the lip, and maybe an order of madelines and, oh yeah, I do want frites with that. I'll eat at the bar so I can hear the witty reparte, thanks.

Katisha
08-29-2001, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Scylla
If I thought I was being watched by dead ancestors, I'd never be able to have sex.

Can I sig that, Scylla? :D

I like the Dysfunctional Family Circus (http://www.zompist.com/dfcindex.html) -- does that count?

Gozu Tashoya
08-30-2001, 01:14 AM
Hey, is this one of those cafes that lets you scribble little witticisms and whatnots on the bathroom walls?

::starts handing out permanent markers::

Billdo
08-30-2001, 07:26 AM
Oh my gawd! They, like, made Ike a moderator! Like, what is this board coming to!

And you know what, the most, like, rad thing about it, they made vest-boy show his e-mail! Gag me with a spoon!

And they made him do, like, books and stuff! Yuk! When are they gonna open the, like, hair styling forum!

elelle
08-30-2001, 08:02 PM
Ike, Hon, here's a big plate-o-shrimp-and-grits to congratifry yer appointment. You're a fine choice. Best wishin' that ya hold yer astute-n-nobletm head up high through the slingin' of the cafe laig** culture to come.

**As defined by a musician of my hopefully soon to be forgotten aquaintance in a cramped van: "Heyyyyy, I'd really like to sling you the Cafe Laig." Yup, really. And "Nope, but thanks for the poetry."

SterlingNorth
08-30-2001, 09:04 PM
Oh my God! Finally, a forum where I can spout off all my knowledge about animation and cartoons!

No I have a reason to come here again!!!

And As Soon As I Return From Alabama and Get My Cable Modem, I Will!

DAMMIT. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO OPEN RIGHT BEFORE I GO TO MY FAMILY REUNION?

bwk
08-31-2001, 12:39 AM
Wow, the first time I read a post from him he had just bought lard.

Now this.

I want to make a joke in reverse about squeaky wheels and grease.

But I won't.

:D

Ukulele Ike
08-31-2001, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by elelle
Best wishin' that ya hold yer astute-n-nobletm head up high through the slingin' of the cafe laig** culture to come.

Woo hoo! I've been waiting for elelle to flash me some laig since October 1999! (swoon)

KneadToKnow
08-31-2001, 07:52 AM
Olentzero, admirals steer ships where you come from? Jesus, I don't even want to think about what the junior officers have to do.

John487
08-31-2001, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Scylla

And I had such a high opinion of you only a moment ago.

;)
At least his family's not PERFECT. :D

plnnr
08-31-2001, 11:22 AM
Here I was thinking that I could get a good martini, listen to Bobby Short sing some Cole Porter, smoke a Chesterfield King without being looked askance at, and, instead, I find myself in a coffee shop?

Where's Heywood Broun when you need him?

Ukulele Ike
08-31-2001, 11:26 AM
Don't worry, we can handle everyone here.

I'm minding the register at the moment, but Eutychus should be by shortly to take your order. If you're lucky, he'll be wearing the cocktail waitress outfit.

celestina
08-31-2001, 11:31 AM
But plnnr, I thought we could drink and compare notes on alcohol and fine cigars here too. Even though this is a coffee shop, I thought I saw a sommelier around here somewhere.

[celestina goes off to search for that sommelier]