PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best comedy movie ever made?

xanakis
08-29-2001, 07:49 PM
This question is inspired by the Spinal Tap thread (best song? "Break Like The Wind").

In my view, its "Life of Brian" and nothing anybody says is going to change my mind.

NutWrench
08-29-2001, 07:52 PM
Blazing Saddles

Mighty Maximino
08-29-2001, 07:56 PM
I have to go for "A Fish Called Wanda". There are some scenes in that one that always give me great fits of laugh-out-loudness.

Close second for "Army of Darkness". Different rationale though.

Enderw24
08-29-2001, 07:57 PM
Can it be? A real thread by xanakis? Crimeny!

I think Fletch was a great movie. So many great lines. If the book is even better, which I've heard, I'm definitely going to have to check it out.

Even just in the Mel Brooks genre, I think Spaceballs easily beats Blazing Saddles. BS may have been cutting edge comedy when it came out, but it does nothing for me today.

Gomez
08-29-2001, 08:01 PM
Well, the purpose of a comedy is to make you laugh and whilst it may not be sophisticated or witty or clever or any of the other things that make for 'good' comedies, the funniest thing I have ever seen on screen is the scene from Dumb and Dumber with the blind kid stroking the decapitited parakeet, trying to get it to sing. Man, I nearly threw up right there in the cinema I was laughing so damn hard :D

nooc
08-29-2001, 08:08 PM
I would say "real genius" is one of the greatest comedy movies ever.

Interrobang!?
08-29-2001, 08:09 PM
Three candidates:

The In-Laws
"Serpentine, Shel! Serpentine!"

Raising Arizona
"Do they blow up into funny shapes at all?"
"Well, no. Not unless round is funny."

Miracle of Morgan's Creek
"I think his name was something like Ratzkywatzky."

HalberMensch242
08-29-2001, 08:24 PM
Ok..best comedies..for my money have to be:

Rushmore
"They gave each other hand jobs in the pool, while you were taking a nap"
"How you feeling?..A little bit Lonely"

Road to Wellville(although not strictly a comedy)
"If this is the healthiest place on earth..why is everybody dying?!"
"Chew Chew Chew..it is the thing to do..Chew Chew CHew it's really good for you"

Jack Batty
08-29-2001, 08:29 PM
It's a toss up -- between Airplane and Animal House, and I'll even throw in Caddychack for godd measure.

Jack Batty
08-29-2001, 08:31 PM
Caddychack, of course being the version of Caddyshack shown in East L.A.

ChoosyChipsAndCeilingWhacks
08-29-2001, 08:32 PM
For Raising Arizona.

"Son...you've got a panty on yer head."

No matter where I am, or what I'm doing, all I have to think of is that "diaper chase scene" and I get the giggles.

A close second for "Some Like it Hot." Marilyn Monroe and crossdressing. What else IS there in life?

-L

Fenris
08-29-2001, 08:33 PM
How 'bout top 5? I don't think I can narrow it down to just one.

In no particular order:

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World: There has never been an assemblege of comics like this movie features. It was the "who's who of Comics" for it's day. The scene with Jonathon Winters and Phil Silvers in the Garage still cracks me up.

Blazing Saddles: Young Frankenstein was probably a better movie, but Blazing Saddles was far funnier. Harvey Korman made that movie. When Taggart reaches into the tub and grabs for "Ducky", Korman's expression is priceless. Plus Madyline Kahn is in it.

What's Up, Doc?: Again, Madyline Kahn steals the show. The chase scene with the Chinese dragon is one of the funniest chases ever filmed.

The Court Jester: Danny Kaye. Angela Landsbury. The "Pellet With the Poison" scene. The "Pass the Basket" scene. 'nuff said?

Aargh...whichever Marx Brothers movie features the Ocean Liner cabin.

Fenris

Fenris
08-29-2001, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by SexyWriter

A close second for "Some Like it Hot." Marilyn Monroe and crossdressing. What else IS there in life?

Plus Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon. Plus Billy Wilder directing. Dammit! You're right. Add this to my list and assume I wrote "Top Six"

Fenris

Kwyjibo
08-29-2001, 08:37 PM
My vote is on SpaceBalls.

(Spinal Tap is a close runner up.)

Crunchy Frog
08-29-2001, 08:39 PM
This is a tough call. The films that spring to mind are:

Young Frankenstein - I can't even begin how to describe what I love about this movie.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - I think Life of Brian may be the better overall film, with the message and that it has a real ending, but Holy Grail makes me howl every stinking time.

A Fish Called Wanda - Not as funny on repeated veiwings (for me anyway, as I know what jokes are coming) but I can never turn this off if I happen to catch it on TV.

Various Marx Brothers films - I can't pick one single film from these guys.

Topologist
08-29-2001, 08:55 PM
Come on people, reach back. Have we lost our cultural memory?

It Happened One Night
The Philadelphia Story
His Girl Friday
A Night at the Opera (with the stateroom scene) or Duck Soup

And for something more recent, Ruthless People.

ChoosyChipsAndCeilingWhacks
08-29-2001, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Fenris
]The Court Jester[/u]: Danny Kaye. Angela Landsbury. The "Pellet With the Poison" scene. The "Pass the Basket" scene. 'nuff said?

"Yea, verily, yea!"

I almost forgot about that one. What a great flick!

Soul Brother Number Two
08-29-2001, 09:29 PM
the producers.

KarlGauss
08-29-2001, 09:38 PM
Yes, both The Producers and Some Like it Hot for sure.

But don't forget Dr. Strangelove. Possibly my favourite movie, period.

rushtopher
08-29-2001, 09:54 PM
Hmmmm... I don't know what's the funniest but I second the motion that we need to think back farther than 1997. And I'm only 24.

Anyway my list of contenders:

Producers - Until the broadway musical came out, this was Mel Brooks' most underappreciated movie. And to all the people who said Spaceballs BAH! What no Dracula, dead and loving it?

Airplane - Changed comedy as we know it.

Ghostbuster - Bill Murray wll be known as an underapreciated legend when he is 75. This is probably his best movie.

Holy Grail - nuff said.

Planes Trains and Automobiles - The best line is not the line most people think of with this movie, although the "fuck" scene is great.

The best scene in the movie is after John Candy's character has burnt the car completely to smithereens. The next day they are pulled over by a cop played by Michael McKean who asks them if the car is driveable. Candy's attempt to claim it is is priceless. While Steve Martin hides. It's just great. Then John Hughes completely lost it and inflicted Home Alone on us.

Other contenders, cause they made me laugh but I don't think these are of the same quality as the others above:
The In-laws (might be worthy of being listed above, but its been a long time)
Animal House
Little Shop of Horrors
MST3K the movie (but then again, some episodes were funnier)
South Park: The Movie
Mel Brooks up until History of the World
Naked Gun - but not the sequels
dang, I'll think of a ton more right after I type this.

GENE STONER
08-29-2001, 09:56 PM
This may sound kind of pedestrian, but I've always been partial to "The Jerk", "Dumb and Dumber", and "National Lampoons Vacation".
Young Frankenstein was an excellent movie, as was Blazing Saddles.
I took my family to see A Fish called Wanda when it first came out. I thought it was a great, very funny movie, but my wife did'nt get half the jokes.

Race Bannon
08-29-2001, 09:59 PM
thinking of nothing that hasn't been mentioned

I throw my votes behind
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World A Fish Called Wanda Hi Opal! Dr. Strangelove

Anamorphic
08-29-2001, 10:57 PM
The General

Buster Keaton is a comedy god!

23skidoo
08-29-2001, 11:02 PM
I nominate "Princess Bride" for sheer madness and repeat watchability.

"That word... I do not think it means what you think it means."

Stoid
08-29-2001, 11:53 PM
For making me laugh out loud (an extremely hard thing to do, extremely, which I'm not happy about. I love to laugh but I've been a tough audience since I was a baby and "coochie coo" left me unmoved)

Monty Python's Meaning of Life "Oh God, you are so very large...."

I'd also have to give Airplane props for being so jam-packed with utter lunacy that you have to love it.

stoid

Zaphod Beeblebrox
08-29-2001, 11:58 PM
At the risk of being seriously unoriginal, my vote has to go for Monty Python: The Holy Grail.

Astroboy14
08-30-2001, 01:56 AM
While I thoroughly enjoyed most of the movies mentioned so far, I gotta cast my vote for funniest movie ever to Woody Allen. What's Up, Tiger Lilly? has some of the funniest lines I've ever heard!

You killed my snake! Where am I going to find a long, thin coffin?!? Well, OK, it's not that funny outside the context of the film... but if you haven't seen it yet, by all means get thee to a video store and rent it!

Fern Forest
08-30-2001, 02:36 AM
Gold Medal
Blazing Saddles - "Scuse me while I whip this out."
Duck Soup - sheet maddess
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - how can you not love Spencer Tracy and just pity the poor guy for his wife and kids. That seen on the phone, well I'm laughing now.
The Gold Rush - I'm not the greatest for slap stick and the melodrama of this time period really turns me off but this is sucha funny movie.
The Producers - has the funniest concept here.
Arsenic and Old Lace - You will never like mass murderers as much as these 2 sweet little old ladies. And Cary Grant is just a genius here.
Life of Brian - WTF!!! An alien??? I've never been caught so totally unsuspecting in my life.

Silver Medal
Beware of Greeks Bearing Guns - this movie so made the 2000 HIFF for me.
The Wrong Guy - Dave Foley of The Kids in the Hall fame wrote this. It just tickled me pink. Plus Dave was in the audience when we watched it and I got to ask him a question, :D
The Prince Bride - sweet and funny, hey you and your gf can watch it together.
We're No Angels - I just love this film. And Bogey. Only this film and Arsenic and Old Lace can make me laugh at death.
Young Frankenstein - Oh when he slams his hands into his dinner, I split a gut.

Barbarian
08-30-2001, 04:22 AM
Nothing has made me laugh like Love on Delivery. And I had to read the subtitles to understand what was going on, because it's in Chinese!

The scene where the karate master tries to pound on the guy in the Garfield costume is priceless.

SPOOFE
08-30-2001, 05:19 AM
No question about it... UHF. Weird Al is as much a comic genius on the screen as he is behind the accordian. And if you thought Michael Richards was funny as Kramer, he excels amazingly as Stanley Spadowski.

"Look what I've got here, Bob... a Twinkie-wiener sandwich! Your favorite!"

"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

"Do I still get to be the janitor?"

"Hey you guys... you guys! The blindfold fell off! You better come fix it... whoa, my shirt glows in the dark!"

"Supplies!"

"You found a marble in the oatmeal... you get to drink from the fire hose!"

"I had a dream that I was a bird... with a candy bar head!"

"Uh-oh... Bobbo's been eating... Yappy's dog treats!"

Bob: "Hey, you guys, I'm trying to work here... do you mind?"
Stanley: "Uh... no... I don't mind. Go right ahead. Do you mind, George?"

Spaceballs takes a close second... "I knew it, I'm surrounded by Assholes."

Gyrate
08-30-2001, 06:31 AM
Oh Lordy...so many movies I'd forgotten about and now want to see again.

UHF was probably the funniest film I've seen that didn't do very well at the box office, which is a pity. It's a must-rent. "What most people don't know is that the turtle is Nature's suction cup!"

Modern Times and The General -- just 'cause they're b&w doesn't mean they're not worth watching.

Singin' In The Rain remains one of my favorite movies of all time ("I caaaaahn't stannum"). All-singing, all-dancing, all goofy.

Blazing Saddles stands out for me as Mel Brooks' best film, with Young Frankenstein a close second ("It's twoo! It's twoo!" "That's my arm."). Spaceballs, OTOH, bored me. Ah well.

Airplane! might possibly be the most quoted comic movie ever. So I won't bother.

And finally, South Park BLU made me laugh until I choked by being so overly offensive about everything that it was impossible to take offense. ([Glinda voice]"I am the clitoris!"[/Glinda voice]).

A pity my TV's just gone pfut, or I'd be off to the video rental place now...

CalMeacham
08-30-2001, 07:26 AM
Fenris has my sensibilities.For my money A Night at the Opera with the Marx Brothers takes the prize. I also LOVED What's up, Doc? (Madeline Kahn and Kenneth Mars together, years before Young Frankenstein. Boss Hawg as a crook! Buck Henry wrote it and Peter Bogdanovich directed!And it's NOT a remake or ripoff of "Bringing up Baby".)

I loved What's up, Tiger Lily? and Kentucky Fried Movie when I first saw them, but they don't seem quite as funny now. Either I've aged, or the films have.

C K Dexter Haven
08-30-2001, 07:29 AM
I can't believe this thread has gone this far and no one has mentioned THE funniest movie of all time, BRINGING UP BABY with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn... and a leopard. Well, two leopards, but only one of them is named "Baby."

Zaphod Beeblebrox
08-30-2001, 07:29 AM
I just realized that I should give an honourable mention to Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. Although it's not a "pure comedy" per-se, it had me laughing out loud quite a few times.

I also had a few good laughs the first time I saw Clerks, although it's also not a "pure comedy."

And something else needs to be mentioned. Although it's not a movie, the BBC series of The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is really quite funny. And hell, when you watch it from beginning to end, it almost feels like a long movie.

SmackFu
08-30-2001, 09:06 AM
Votes for:

Real Genius - Can't we get a DVD of this already? Made me want to go to engineering school... I was rather disappointed by reality.
His Girl Friday - Can't believe it's from the forties, very un-old-movie-like.
Office Space - great, terrific, memorable, and quotable lines all over the place.

kunilou
08-30-2001, 09:52 AM
We're running out of new material, here, but for sheer laughs let me put in a strong vote for the first 10 minutes (the opening cartoon) of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

And for an entire movie, I have to go with Airplane.

lieu
08-30-2001, 09:56 AM
* Holy Grail - Even the opening credits (llamas) are humorous. Then we get into the flesh wounds, she turned me into a newt... I got better, I fart in your general dirrection, maybe if we built a large wooden badger, we're not to leave unless you come and get us, airspeed velocities of unladen swallows, ni!, it's just a silly bunny, red... no, blue *swoosh*. I absolutely howl every time I watch it still.

Blazing Saddles - I crapped my pants when Mongo knocked that horse out. Plus, the campfire scene, let's have a good 'ol ****** work song, excuse me while I whip this out, it's twue! it's twue! Har!

Dr. Strangelove - One Colt 45 automatic, one pair of nylons, one prophylactic... OPE.

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sex But We're Afraid to Ask - Awesome scenes, great cast.

Fandango - This is one of my favorite movies of all time. The Director relives adventures from college (Baylor) but sets it in UT and the Texas Big Bend during the VietNam conflict. Originating as a short about a parachute scene, Spielberg saw it and had Reynolds (Kevin) build a movie around it. I think it's Costner's first movie but I'm not sure. Judd Nelson is actually good in this.

Five Easy Pieces - Not a full blown comedy but the sandwich scene is priceless.

Ethilrist
08-30-2001, 09:58 AM
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.

dalovindj
08-30-2001, 10:21 AM
Hands down champion: Happy Gilmore

Having Adam Sandler get into a full on brawl with Bob Barker that ends with Bob Barker triumphantly saying "The price is WRONG, Bitch" is pure comic genius. I know every joke coming in that movie, I laugh when I think about the fact that it's coming, and then I laugh when they hit it. Close runners up:

"Rustlers Rhapsody" (I think I'm the ony damn person to ever see this movie but damn it's funny)

"Eddie Murphy" - Delirious and Raw (Do these count as a movies?)

"Princess Bride" (Anybody want a peanut?)

"Out in 50"

"The Money Pit"

"War of the Roses"

DaLovin' Dj

Ellen Cherry
08-30-2001, 12:11 PM
It's not knee-slapping funny, but one of my favorites has always been Albert Brooks' "Defending Your Life" with Meryl Streep. Well, sometimes it is. ("Take a piss!") The Past Lives Pavillian -- hoo, boy! Actually, I like every Brooks movie I've ever seen.

It's got its problems as a movie, but I happen to think Beetlejuice is hysterical. "The Handbook for the Recently Deceased" and the whorehouse called Dante's Inferno. I love touches like that.

"Son, you've got a panty on your head" is the most-quoted line between my husband and I. I could watch Raising Arizona all day long.

And ... I'm sorry, but I will not apologize for this. :rolleyes: I sat down to this movie with my arms crossed, fully prepared to be a stuck-up snob, but There's Something About Mary had me braying throughout.

'Course, The Princess Bride is one of my all-time favorites. Stop it now, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut?

TwistofFate
08-30-2001, 12:21 PM
Airplane - "I picked the wrong day to give up amphetamines"

Happy Gilmore - Shooter McGavin kissing Happy's Gran while she is wearing a Gene Simmons Mask. genius.

A funny thing Happened on the way to the forum.

but, my favourite has to be Spinal Tap. A musicians choice, pure and simple.

5-HT
08-30-2001, 12:36 PM
My Vote goes to Dr. Strangelove

"Gentleman you can't fight in here this is a war room!!"

"Alright, I'll get your money. But if you don't get the president on the phone, you're going to have to answer to the Coca Cola company!"

Wumpus
08-30-2001, 12:46 PM
SAFETY LAST by Harold Lloyd.

SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS (anyone who liked O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU? needs to see this one.)

THE PRODUCERS (Broderick and Lane have nothing on Wilder and Mostel.)

LOST IN AMERICA by Albert Brooks.

I hated THE BIG LEBOWSKI the first time I saw it, but it's grown on me during subsequent viewings. Rather like a fungus.

It's not as laugh-out-loud funny as some, but GROUNDHOG DAY is one of the underrated gems of the last 10 years.

Gamelan
08-30-2001, 12:50 PM
Spinal Tap

Waiting for Guffman (5 out of 5 stars)

Best in Show

I guess I have a thing for improv comedy.

yojimbo
08-30-2001, 12:59 PM
Most of mine have been mentioned but I'd add some of the Ealing Comedies.

The Lady Killers http://us.imdb.com/Title?0048281 :- Alec Guinness is a genius.

The Lavender Hill Mob http://us.imdb.com/Title?0044829 :- Another classic with Mr. Guinness

Kind Hearts and Coronets http://us.imdb.com/Title?0041546 :- What can I say I love Alec Guinness(he play 8 characters in this) :) This is a true black comedy.

PookahMacPhellimey
08-30-2001, 01:02 PM
One more vote for "Monty Phyton and the Holy Grail"

Ni!

bdgr
08-30-2001, 01:08 PM
The blues brothers. A more perfect film was never made.

Holy Grail

Battlefied earth...WHat? It was supposed to be serious? Oh for the love of...

Yossarian
08-30-2001, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by lieu
Fandango - This is one of my favorite movies of all time. The Director relives adventures from college (Baylor) but sets it in UT and the Texas Big Bend during the VietNam conflict.

A movie on the list of almost every Texas Geologist I know (myself included)--and it's good to see another one at the SDMB!

If you're ever in the neighborhood, be sure and check out where DOM (actually, two "DOM"s are carved into the rock) is carved into the rock. The rock being some San Carlos Tuff, and the location being the top of the Big Hill along FM 170 overlooking the Rio Grande--right on the margin of the San Carlos caldera.

WEW
08-30-2001, 01:22 PM
I agree with most of the stuff above, and I'm sure I'll go it alone here, but one of the funniest movies I've seen recently is
What Women Want.

Mrs. WEW and I laughed so hard that we woke up the kids several times.

horhay_achoa
08-30-2001, 01:23 PM
Tommy Boy
Airplane
Billy Madison

What can I say? I like 'em nice and low-brow. :)

jellen92
08-30-2001, 01:26 PM
I stil think "Tootsie" is one of the funniest....

panamajack
08-30-2001, 02:38 PM
Comedies seem harder to sort than other varieties -- there's too many movies with so many funny moments.

If I could only take one with me, it'd have to Airplane!. But I would like to say that Real Genius provided me with my best role model when I was growing up.

I'm adding the following ones I don't think have been mentioned yet. I'm not saying they're my favorites, just that they would be on my list.

In reverse alphabetical order :

Vacation
Real Life
The Philadelphia Story
The Naked Gun
East is East
A Christmas Story
Beverly Hills Cop

Best Parodies. I put these in separately because you need to be rather familiar with the originals to appreciate them (unlike, say, Airplane! *). Again, in addition to any already mentioned:

Robin Hood : Men in Tights (Robin Hood films, most notably Kevin Costner's)
Stiff Upper Lips (Merchant-Ivory (esp. the E.M. Forster ones), released at least ten years too late).
Top Secret!(Elvis films -- while this one also came out long after the originals, it's funny enough on its own rights to almost make into the upper list)

* Of course knowing the originals makes it even funnier. I once saw a special on what was spoofed by it :

Airport & Airport '77 (plane disasters, one I think had the singing nun)
Zero Hour (another plane disaster, I think the sick girl, and the little boy asking questions in the cabin. I think he even had a dog. "Oh look, Scraps is a boy dog.")
The TV series San Francisco International **, which starred Lloyd Bridges as air traffic director. ("Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue").

**The pilot of which was a MST3k episode, or so I've heard. Haven't seen it yet.

rjung
08-30-2001, 03:44 PM
Oooooh, lots of good choices, but I'm going to name a film that nobody has mentioned yet!

BRAIN DONORS!

For those who don't know (and that seems to be everybody in this thread), it was a modern-day remake of the Marx Brothers' movie A Night At The Opera. It tries to recapture the manic Marx feel of the original, and succeeds in spades -- there's nonstop gag action, highbrow subtle wordplay, outrageous situations, lowbrow slapstick, men in drag, beautiful women, and a manic ending that leaves you breathless.

If you like the Marx Brothers, or you just enjoy laughing so hard until your sides ache, this is the movie to see. Pity it bombed at the box office, as there's no chance of any sort of sequels, and nobody else I know has ever heard of it...

MacSpon
08-30-2001, 04:08 PM
Three Amigos!

cmkeller
08-30-2001, 04:24 PM
Three-way tie:

Life of Brian
Airplane
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

Lucifer12
08-30-2001, 07:03 PM
What, no one mentioned Forbidden Zone?
That's some funny stuff, boy...

The best comedy, obviously, is The Producers.

But here's some of the best, lesser-known comedies:

Drunken Master
Jackie Chan

The Kid Brother
Harold Loyd

To Be Or Not To Be
Ernest Lubitsch
(Note: I've never seen the Mel Brooks version, but it would be hard to top the original. Who knew Jack Benny was actually funny?)

Peewee's Big Adventure
Tim Burton
(This isn't so lesser-known, but it's one of my faves)

Black Wednesday (or The Sin Of Harold Diddlebock)
Preston Sturges
Starring Harold Loyd
(Or 'Christmas In July', 'The Lady Eve'... just about anything by Preston Sturges)

The Bank Dick
It's A Gift
[Never Give A Sucker An Even Break[/i]
Christ, is W.C. Fields funny!

Semp
08-30-2001, 07:04 PM
Pee Wee's Big Adventure has always cracked me up. "Is this something you can share with the rest of us, Amazing Larry?!?!?!" Too bad the sequel sucked.

Bananas. An almost forgotten Woody Allen movie based on a short story he wrote, it has always been my favorite of his. I love the Howard Cosell parts, and the trial scene makes you realize the Airplane! style of comedy did not originate with the ZAZ boys. And what 13 year old boy would not love the snakebite gag when he first sees it?:D

The_Peyote_Coyote
08-30-2001, 07:15 PM
"I'm All Right, Jack" and "Being There," two movies starring Peter Sellers. That man was a genius.

flapcats
08-30-2001, 07:22 PM
Funniest films: Bowfinger was good, Obviously MP & the Holy Grail and I enjoyed Galaxy Quest a lot. Ooop, trekiness showed there. Retract! Retract!

flapcats
08-30-2001, 07:25 PM
Peter Sellers was a drinking buddy of my Uncle Ronnie - a nomadic alcoholic with many children. They'd have competitions and drinking games. That is until Peter Sellers passed away... Ronnie disappeared too, oddly enough. (NOT BS BTW)

Airblairxxx
08-30-2001, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by rjung
Oooooh, lots of good choices, but I'm going to name a film that nobody has mentioned yet!

BRAIN DONORS!

. . .nobody else I know has ever heard of it...

I've heard of it. I own it on VHS--has it come out on DVD? I still have the underwear I nearly peed in when I went to see it in the theater. Damn, what a funny movie.

xanakis
08-30-2001, 08:04 PM
Since we're extending this beyond just best comedy I would mention any Laurel and Hardy movie and any Marx Bros. movie (especially that one in the cabin on the liner that Fenris mentioned).

Someone should start a "Best Groucho Marx Quote" thread. In fact, I might as well do it since Ive thought of it.

brianjedi
08-30-2001, 08:23 PM
Ghostbusters- I quote this movie at least once a day. Harold Ramis is just as funny as Murray and Aykroyd in it.

Blues Brothers- Funny as heck.

MST3K: The Movie- I can quote the entire first segment into the theater. Gets quoted almost as often as Ghostbusters.

Below those are about 25 movies that I won't list here for brevity's sake.

-Brianjedi

Gyrate
08-31-2001, 03:15 AM
Amazon Women on the Moon -- one of those "skit" movies (not unlike Kentucky Fried Movie).

FriendRob
08-31-2001, 06:39 AM
Most of mine have already been mentioned. I'll just add

Men in Black - "Have you ever flashy-thinged me?"

Sleepers, Take the Money and Run - Haven't seen these is a while. Saw Annie Hall again recently and it seemed dated and not as funny as it was the first time. Still, some classic scenes. Most people don't like Stardust Memories, but I thought it was great. "We liked all your movies, especially the early, funny ones."

Never Cry Wolf - hilarious, but has a serious side too. "He says, 'Good idea.'"

Forget Paris - For my money, better than When Harry met Sally.

Kid_Gilligan
08-31-2001, 07:05 AM
Harold & Maude, Harold & Maude, Harold & Maude.

There is no doubt that laughs are the number one priority in rating comedies, and when you see the ways Harold tries to shock his mother, or the things he does to scare off the girls she chooses for him from the dating service, you will laugh plenty.

But when a comedy tugs at your heart and makes you look at the world a little differently, (as only a comedy can do) it enters another realm.

This film quite literally changed my life.

And for those who say only laughs count. The OP asked for best comedy movie, not funniest movie.

There's a difference.

lieu
08-31-2001, 10:36 AM
* South Park BLU - How did I forget that? Canada: "We've already apologised for Brian Adams."

* Being There - I know Chance the Gardner must be a fan.

* The Odd Couple - Watched it recently for the first time in 20 years and marveled at it's genius.

* The Jerk - "I was born a poor white child...", "He hates cans!", "All I need is this lamp and this chair and this remote and this paddle and my little dog. Grrrr. Okay, I don't need my dog but..."

* Fargo - "Other than not being circumcised how was he funny looking?"

* M*A*S*H

* Austin Powers - It's a machine for travelling through time. I like to call it my "Time Machine".

* Ferris Bueller's Day Off - well, at least the first half.

Ellen Cherry
08-31-2001, 10:42 AM
The Jerk - "I was born a poor white child...",

Wouldn't that be, "I was born a poor black child" ?

penael
08-31-2001, 11:11 AM
Both of my favorites that spring to mind are already posted. I'll just show my allegiance:

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles
Amazon Women on the Moon

A coworkers' fave: Arthur!

Tretiak
08-31-2001, 11:23 AM
Blazing Saddles - "Where all 'da white women at?"

Monty Python's The Life of Brian - "You lucky bastard!"

Office Space - "PC Load Letter? What the fuck does that mean?"

Ask me tomorrow, I'll probably have some differnt ones.

berdollos
08-31-2001, 12:12 PM
Mr. Hulot's holiday (directed by Jacques Tati)

epolo
08-31-2001, 12:13 PM
Putney Swope

By Robert Downey (a prince)

Check it out.

"Where you at, man?"
"Stratosphere, baby, stratosphere. I'm stacked up over La Guardia and I ain't comin' down for nobody, not even you."

Carpane Mado
08-31-2001, 03:21 PM
The mad adventures of Rabbi Jacob has somehow missed this list and I can't fathom why.

The tall blonde man with one black shoe also does quite well. The original, not that drek remake with Tom Hanks.

Zappo
08-31-2001, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Ellen
It's not knee-slapping funny, but one of my favorites has always been Albert Brooks' "Defending Your Life" with Meryl Streep. Well, sometimes it is. ("Take a piss!") The Past Lives Pavillian -- hoo, boy! Actually, I like every Brooks movie I've ever seen.

Finally, somebody else who loves "Defending Your Life"! I guess it takes a certain sensibility to love it, but I do. Rip Torn is one of the funniest guys on the planet IMO and I love his role in this film.

"Still don't get the big brain bit, do ya?" is one of my stock smartass answers ever since I saw that film, and it's been what, ten years now? And I can't help but think of Buck Henry as the almost-catatonic fill-in lawyer whenever I'm in court and turn down a cross-examination. "Nope, I'm fine with that!"

Most of my other faves have already been mentioned, but I'll mention them again:

"It's a Mad, Mad World": Sid Caesar in the hardware store basement always cracks me up.

"The Blues Brothers": "Not right now, but we'll be knockin' back a few later. You see, we're the band!"

"The Hudsucker Proxy": "You know, for kids!" (A strange film, but I love it).

"Used Cars": "I'm tellin' you, my boss sees these numbers, he's gonna have a heart attack!" (Jack Warden, in the throes of an MI, bursts into the office.)

. . .and the list goes on and on.

Zappo

Crafter_Man
08-31-2001, 05:08 PM
These have some of the funniest scenes I've ever seen:

Clerks
Raising Arizona
Being There
UHF (Weird Al Yankovic)
Heaven Help Us

xanadu
08-31-2001, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Topologist
Come on people, reach back. Have we lost our cultural memory?

It Happened One Night
The Philadelphia Story
His Girl Friday
A Night at the Opera (with the stateroom scene) or Duck Soup

And for something more recent, Ruthless People.

I'll second Ruthless People, but the funniest movie of all time would have to be "Serial Mom." There's a scene where Kathleen Turner kills a woman by beating her over the head with a leg of lamb (I think it was lamb) to the tune of the song "Tomorrow" from the movie "Annie." John Waters is a comic genius!!!

longhair75
09-01-2001, 09:05 AM
good morning friends,

coming in a little late, but i would like to agree:

young frankenstein: cloris leachman "he..vas...my...boyfriend!"

its a mad, mad, mad world: buddy hackett flying the airplane through the bill board

blazing saddles: "the little bastard shot me in the ass"

drm
09-01-2001, 02:17 PM
I just love comedies so much. There are just so many to choose from...

-to shorten my list - anything by Mel Brooks,
Spaceballs does deserve to be seperated.
-Ghostbusters
-The Princess Bride
-O Brother Where Art thou

These are all movies I can watch over and over and over again.

Chum
09-01-2001, 06:05 PM
I'd have to say The Big Lebowski, followed closely by Dumb and Dumber. Other contenders:

The Road to Wellville
Billy Madison
Waiting for Guffman
Ace Ventura - Pet Detective
Stripes
What About Bob?
Strange Brew
Rushmore
Meet the Parents
Kingpin
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Tommy Boy
Top Secret
Mallrats
South Park - Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
The Jerk

I could probably go on forever, but I'll stop now.

Lionors
09-02-2001, 12:20 AM
Most of mine have been named already (especially the Brooks films and the Monty Python films), but I'll add...

City Slickers

and at the risk of getting stoned, Pulp Fiction. I have a very, very warped sense of humor.

okielady
09-02-2001, 01:25 AM
Okay, many of these are just full of toilet humor and/or biting sarcasm, but these movies made me laugh till I cried:

American Pie with the much over-quoted "And this one time, at band camp..." line that still cracks me up. But the best line out of the whole movie was "Suck me, beautiful!" I felt really old though when I was the only one in the movie theater that laughed at the parody of The Graduate.

The Opposite of Sex - Lisa Kudrow made this movie great. Sarcasm and bitterness at its best. "You've got a death wish. That's so selfish. I have one too, but I direct it toward others." "I hope Tom Cruise is as straight as they come! I never thought he wasn't!" And when Bill lets loose on Jason while twisting his nipple ring, that whole scene was great. I'm chuckling just thinking about it.

Detroit Rock City - "I just lost my virginity in a confessional booth! Lord have mercy!" 'Nuff said. :D

There's Something About Mary had me rolling. "Beans and franks! Beans and franks!" And I guess I'm into gross out jokes because the "hair gel" scene made me cry.

Tommy Boy - Once again, biting sarcasm and bitterness. And Tommy's constant attempts to bring out Richard's sense of humor..."Richard, who's your favorite little rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it....SPANKY?" Hee heeeee I love it.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - The jail scene, Ruprecht, the wheelchair...the whole premise of this movie was great. Plus, it had Steve Martin in it. I'd wager to say that nearly anything with Steve Martin or Chevy Chase is going to be funny. Bill Murray ranks just below those two, and Robin Williams is in there somewhere...But this is about movies, not actors.

The Emperor's New Groove - I know this doesn't fit in well with the rest of my choices, but I love this movie! I've seen it several times. For the first 2 months after we got it, every time my daughter would watch it, I would watch it with her. I guess my daughter (age 3) liked it too, because occasionally I'll still catch her walking through the house, stopping suddenly, smacking herself on the head, and saying "That guy turned into a LLAMA! It's so silly!" Then she'll laugh and walk off. I could watch that movie today and probably still find something hilarious that I never caught before. And along those same lines, Aladdin was also pretty good, with Robin Williams as the Genie. But I never could get through any of the straight-to-video sequels.

Considering that my favorite movie genre is comedy, I could go on listing all night. So I'll stop here and spare you. :D

choosybeggar
09-02-2001, 02:32 AM
Thank god Raising Arizona has been well represented in this thread (and Holy Grail, too). RA, IMHO, represents the epitome of comedy. Consider the following:

(New Father calling into the office to see how underling is managing his business) "800 leaf tables and no chairs? Chair you got a dinette set, no chairs you got dick. You ask my wife she got more sense. (Wife is sitting in adjacent chair as telephone conversation is taking place).

(H.I. McDonough describing the relevation of his newlywed wife's infertility)"Now who would of thought that this woman who looked as fertile as the en-tire Tennessee valley could bear no children. But the doctor explained that her insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase."

(In prison, group counselling session)
Psychiatrist: Now why is it you say you feel trapped?
Incredibly huge, low-timbre voiced black guy: Huh?
P: Why is it you say you feel trapped in a man's body?
IHLTVBG: Well, sometimes I get the menstrual cramps real hard.

(Bank robbery scene)
Robber: Ok you hayseeds, everybody freeze, everybody down on the floor
(People in bank stand around, not looking like thay know exactly what to do next)
Old Guy: Well, which is it going to be young feller? Cause if'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop, and if'n I drop, I'm a gonna' be in motion.

(Lullaby sung to baby Nathan Jr. by new mom)
Mother sits in the cabin door
Wiping her tear stained eyes.
'Cause her only son soon shall walk
Through yonder scaffold rise.
My race is run beneath the sun
The scaffold now waits for me.
For I did murder that dear little girl
Whose name was Rose Connoly.

(At HI McDonough's job; random co-worker chatter)
So me and Bill Parker was drivin' down nine mile and there was this sphercal object arresting in the highway, and it weren't a piece of the car.

(HI's boss's family is over at Hi's place for the afternoon)
Boss: Dot (his wife) and I looked into adoption on account of somethin' went wrong with my semen. They didn't got no healthy white babies. I said what else you got? They said they got two Koreans and a Nig-re born with his heart on the outside; it's a crazy world.
HI: Someone ought to sell tickets.
Boss: Sure I'd but one.`

I am light years away from doing justice to an amazing movie that many, many people just do not get. This is, of course, completely neglecting, the many, many sight gags in the movie. And they renouned cinematography of the Cohn Bros. I can say with no reservations that this is a must see movie and if you seen it before and were lukewarm towards it, then it is a must re-see movie.

Ashtar
09-02-2001, 05:03 AM
Here are my contenders!

Funniest children's movie - Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
I am -so- getting this on DVD when I can afford it!

Animated movie - Emperor's New Groove
Beware the grOOove!

Cult flick - Army of Darkness
I was gonna put 'Big Trouble in Little China', except BTiLC would probably not count as 'cult' anymore in the light of the recent new interest Chinese action flicks. AoD is a must-see for college students and the curiously morbid.

Undervalued movie - The Big Lebowski, it's a really sad shame this movie didn't get more recognition. If not at least for the -excellent- performances by Jeff Bridges and John Goodman.

DPWhite
09-02-2001, 01:46 PM
Night at the Opera

Philidelphia Story (not gut busting, but sweet)

Airplane

Dr. Strangelove

Being There (two appearances from Sellers)

Pink Panther Strikes Again (Three)

Porky's

Blazing Saddles! (I think you boys have had enough beans!)

Life of Brian

Lionors
09-02-2001, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by choosybeggar

(Lullaby sung to baby Nathan Jr. by new mom)
Mother sits in the cabin door
Wiping her tear stained eyes.
'Cause her only son soon shall walk
Through yonder scaffold rise.
My race is run beneath the sun
The scaffold now waits for me.
For I did murder that dear little girl
Whose name was Rose Connoly.

Actually, that is a variant of an old ballad called 'Down in a Willow Garden' that's been sung in the Appalachians for years. One of my dad's favorites.

Cisco
09-02-2001, 05:11 PM
I have to hand it to Don't be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.
"We got arrested for being black on a friday night..."

imthjckaz
09-02-2001, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Jack Batty
Caddychack, of course being the version of Caddyshack shown in East L.A.

How about Born in East L.A.

Cheech and Chongs Up in Smoke

Stripes

Beavis and Butthead do America

Animal House

daffodil
09-03-2001, 01:24 PM
All Coen Brothers films.

Fargo with Steve Buscimi's foot in the wood-chipper and Marge Gunderson's : Mr. Lundegard?, Mr. Lundegard?....

Raising Arizona Glad to see there are more fans of this one.

Hudsucker Proxy AND The Big Lebowski :)

Bringing up Baby

Pulp Fiction

What's up Doc?

Ferris Buehller's Day Off

A Fish called Wanda

All Monty Python films.

[i]You know what's strange? Can't think of a single funny Dutch film. :/

sköt
09-03-2001, 10:06 PM
Repo Man (especially the censored "made for TV" version... "Flip you, Pletchner!" or "Those metal-farming Rodriguez boys!")

Les Boys (if you've ever played beer league hockey, especially in Québec, this is the funniest movie...but only in French)

Clerks (already mentioned numerous times, but its a classic)

Honorables:

Baseketball, Strange Brew, Spinal Tap, Slapshot, There's Something About Mary...

OxyMoron
09-03-2001, 11:28 PM
A ditto for Pulp Fiction, plus the following (in addition to everything else mentioned):

Hairspray
Heathers
Barbarella
Eating Raoul

Czarcasm
09-03-2001, 11:38 PM
Another vote for Brain Donors. This pastiche of A Night At The Opera is a work of art, IMHO.

Flymaster
09-04-2001, 12:06 AM
Number one, without question, Wayne's World.

Coming up behind would be Spinal Tap, Clerks, and Office Space/

cmkeller
09-04-2001, 12:07 AM
There's a new contender in the house, and it is Rat Race.

It had me laughing from beginning to end. And I'll avoid spoilers in this thread, but one scene had me laughing so hard and long, more so than anything I remember, with the exception of the final scene of "Life of Brian" ("always look at the bright side of life").

A non-spoiler hint for those who've seen the movie about the scene I'm referring to: Think about a bug hitting your car's windshield.

That's all I'll say. If you've seen it, you know just the scene I'm thinking of. If you haven't, do so.

Chaim Mattis Keller

tracer
09-04-2001, 12:44 AM
Airplane! is not only the best comedy movie ever made, it is the best movie ever made, period.

It was entirely because of one little exchange in Airplane! that I went out and trained for a multi-engine pilot certificate! No other movie has inspired me to do anything that drastic.

warmgun
09-05-2001, 01:23 AM
I can't believe no one mentioned Head Office!
Has anyone seen this. I really want to know. Lots of stars, VERY funny - but no one seems to have heard of it.
Same thing with The Gong Show Movie. We used to set around with a few beers and laugh til we cried at that movie.
And I'm not a Adam Sandler fan but I have to admit that Happy Gilmore was funny. ("I hate that Bob Barker")
Also:
Holy Grail
Caddy Shack
The In-laws - everytime I think of that 'serpentine' line I laff my ass off.
The Three Amigos - "Goodnight, Ned"
Sifl and Ollie -The Movie - well, there should be one!

HubZilla
09-05-2001, 07:15 AM
Schindler's List

UrbanChic
09-05-2001, 10:52 AM
...but Quick Change is in my top-ten list o' funny movies.