PDA

View Full Version : Now that have unsuccesfully argued who is a musician..

bdgr
08-29-2001, 09:33 PM
How many of you out there are musicians, and what instrument do you play? What type of music do you play?

I know this has been done before, but its been a while.

As for me, I am a keyboardist, I play paino,organ, and synth. I also play blues harp

I mostly play blues, and mostly improv. I got into blues because I was frustated with trying to play other peoples music, Id rather make up my own. One day, I amm sitting around the house listening to an lightning hopkins album, and I started playing along. It just felt right after that.

WEW
08-29-2001, 10:05 PM
Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance from University of North Texas

I play some piano, and can strum along on a guitar, but mostly I sing. Lyric Baritone.

Mostly I do Musical Theater and contemporary Christian music, but I like all kinds, except rap, which is not music IMHO.

Jack Batty
08-29-2001, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by WEW
... I like all kinds, except rap, which is not music IMHO.
Hey now, let's not start that again.

I play guitar -- more or less self taught. And I know all the chords on a piano, but I have next to no technique.

And I also play the skin-flute from time to time.

AHunter3
08-29-2001, 10:14 PM
I play the piano, the kind that consists of 88 keys each of which flicks a hammer onto 1-3 taut metal wires suspended over a wooden sounding board.

In a pinch I can do something semi-musical with other keyboard instruments.

bdgr
08-29-2001, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by AHunter3
I play the piano, the kind that consists of 88 keys each of which flicks a hammer onto 1-3 taut metal wires suspended over a wooden sounding board.

In a pinch I can do something semi-musical with other keyboard instruments.

I play one of those kinda pianos, when I can. My mom has a 1889 steinway upright grand, that is the only thing I want as an inheritance. When I cant get the real thing, I play a generalmusic real piano pro. It has 88 keys, wieghted and balanced so it feels like a real piano. It also has electronically modeled sounds, so note you play cause other notes to sound in sympathy like real strings vibrating. You hold down low G, for instance, until it dies out, then strik and releas a high G sharply, you will hear the lower G sounding againg from virtual vibration. The end result is sommething that sounds remarkably like a real piano, but is light enough to move around.

It even has a proportional sustain pedal you can get, so there are more than just on/off for sustain, but inbetween partial muting. Kieth Emerson plays one.

bdgr
08-29-2001, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by WEW

Mostly I do Musical Theater and contemporary Christian music

Cool. I do the christian thing myself also. I play at my church on sundays(its a Gen X church, so we have a band instead of a choir). At least I used to play. I am on the disabled list currently, due to my back problem. But after my surgery week after next, I hope to go back to playing on sundays.

bdgr
08-29-2001, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Jack Batty
Originally posted by WEW
... I like all kinds, except rap, which is not music IMHO.
Hey now, let's not start that again.

I play guitar -- more or less self taught. And I know all the chords on a piano, but I have next to no technique.

And I also play the skin-flute from time to time.

So, what sorta music are you into playing(on the guitar that is)

Yumanite
08-29-2001, 10:49 PM
I play the tin whistle, flute, and mandolin. At least those are the instruments that I play reasonably well -- I can mess around on a piano, dulcimer (mountain or hammered), and guitar.

I like to play traditional music -- old fiddle tunes, that kind of thing. I played in an Irish band for a while, but now I'm concentrating on learning more old-time Appalachian kind of stuff on the mandolin.

Jack Batty
08-29-2001, 10:52 PM
bdgr, I've been lagging a little - a lot of stuff going on for me, so my playing is kind of on the back burner ... but -

I learned on old rock classics, Stairway, Dust, that kind of stuff.

I enjoy riffing on 12 bar blues, I tend to play alot of my own little riffs that run toward a little funky, punky, ska-y.

In fact - there is this program I downloaded and registered called Tabit (http://www.tabit.net/download.htm). It's basic but pretty cool. You write out your tabulature and it plays it back for you. But what's cool about it is you can layer tracks. So if you come up with something you like, you can tab it out, and then come up with a bass line for it, add some strings or horns if your feel like it. They even have drum sounds so you can pretty much build an entire song.
Anyway, if you were to have that same program I could even send you my original files.

But getting back to your question -- I tend to go for old rock sounds. Zep, James Gang, Skynyrd, slippin into alternatve - Toadies, Nirvana, Pearl Jam. But I'm always up for at least trying to play anything. I'm not much of a pick artist, so I find finger picking easier and funner.

Sorry, didn't mean to talk your ear off.

Moe
08-29-2001, 11:03 PM
I play guitar primarily and am currently a senior studying classical and jazz.

I love music and play all kinds (yes, even rap). I've been through many stages, from Beastie Boys and Run DMC back in 6th grade, on to 80's rock and heavy metal, to classic rock, to prog rock (still a huge Genesis/Yes fan), to fusion, to African percussive music, to Indian classical, to jam rock, to traditional jazz, to free form, to western classical, to my most recent and very intense love of the minimal music of Steve Reich and his contemporaries. I try to incorporate it all into my writing.
Being ADHD, I am much more successful with improvisational music (It's so frustrating trying to sit for long hours and compose), but I love it all.

Jazz has been and is still the most difficult genre that I have come across to learn to play (I was in the school jazz combo both semesters last year and spent nearly every rehearsal in a panic hoping no one would notice that I had no clue what I was doing. I have just today auditioned to be in the Big Band as well as the combo and I must say, I'm not really sure what to hope for:))

Anyway, did this answer your question? I did say I was ADHD right? :)

bdgr
08-29-2001, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Moe

Moe, Im ADD myself. Being add is advantage in improve. Because add poeple cant screen out outside stimuli, they pickup on the grove other people play naturally. I have watched Video of bandsi was in playing, I just kinda sit there and zone. I cant remember playing half the stuff I play, I just do.

Astroglide
08-29-2001, 11:20 PM
I play guitar, and goof around on other instruments. I sing/scream a little.

I enjoy all kinds of music, although I prefer thrash/death/black metal and classical.

Other musicians may find a little program I wrote, Scalculator (http://www.orock.com/mcentral/scalculator/), interesting.

I'm primarily self-taught with a few theory courses and private lessons. I'd invite anyone to discuss music with me, if they like.

TheOtherOne
08-29-2001, 11:21 PM
I play drums, bass, guitar, and harmonica, and occasionally a banjo or mandolin when I can get my hands on one.
Drums are my main instrument at the moment, but I've been becoming more prolific at guitar as of late. My wrists have been bothering me lately, so I've been setting the sticks aside.
I'm into all sorts of music, mostly grateful dead, phish, moe, string cheese incedent type, jam bands I suppose. On the other hand very unprofessional bluegrass, jazz, and blues can be heard blasting out of my house at ear numbing volumes...ahhh well, enough rambling :)

Katisha
08-29-2001, 11:25 PM
I sing, mostly -- choral and musical theater stuff. (I'm an alto.) I can also play the piano, and I taught myself the guitar, but I'm not particularly good at either. (And I can play random instruments like the harmonica, the bodhran, and the bagpipe chanter...sort of.)

And I compose. Not sure how to describe my stuff, though -- sort of folk-ish.

bdgr
08-29-2001, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Jack Batty
bdgr,
In fact - there is this program I downloaded and registered called Tabit (http://www.tabit.net/download.htm). It's basic but pretty cool. You write out your tabulature and it plays it back for you. But what's cool about it is you can layer tracks. So if you come up with something you like, you can tab it out, and then come up with a bass line for it, add some strings or horns if your feel like it. They even have drum sounds so you can pretty much build an entire song.
Anyway, if you were to have that same program I could even send you my original files.

Cool, I'll snag a copy. Email me what you got, I'd love to hear it. I have my own studio here, I hopefully will have something recorded that I feel comfortable sharing to the world soon. I have a lot of projects going on, but being ADD, I have a hard time finishing them. I will be out of work a month after my surgery, so I hope to get some major studio time in.

Meantime, if anybody wants to hear some of my playing, there are a few MP3 files at http://www.texasblues.net/music

You will have to re-name them to .mp3, as my provider has taken to squashing transfers of mp3s. I havent had time to write them and explain that these are my own music, not illegal copies. They are recordings of my last band. They are not the greatest, as we rented a studio for the evening and recorded for like 12 hours straight, then let the worn out engineer master it in one sitting. But they arent too bad. I had all of about 2 hours sleep in two days when we recorded it. It was a real mess. Let me know what you think.

Rosebud
08-29-2001, 11:43 PM
I used to play violin, but I don't own one-- used the school issued instruments. So it's been years since I picked one up, but I'm hoping to save up and get a second hand one, take some lessons, and get back to playing.

I can pick out a tune or two on the piano, though not especially well.

whiterabbit
08-30-2001, 06:44 AM
Do it, Rosebud! Just last week I had my first violin lesson since I was fourteen. I scared myself because when my teacher put some music in front of me and told me to give it a try, I did...and I got through the first couple of measures. The fingers remember, I guess, because the brain sure as hell doesn't.

This is going to be really, really fun. And I'm getting credit for it! I'm minoring in music, my main instrument for that is voice, but I wanted to see if I could still play a violin. And I think I CAN!

And I can play piano a bit with my right hand. I can pick out anything I need to for voice or violin, at least. :)

Theobroma
08-30-2001, 07:00 AM
Played piano for 9 years as a kid, from 5 to 14 years old. Still remember some of my best pieces by heart, even complicated ones, but can't sightread for shit. Oh well...

Played flute for about 11 years now. I started on that after I got out of college, and before I got my hands on the family piano. Now I play in a community band, which is great good fun, and something completely different from a solo instrument like piano. Also, gives me something independent that I can do without hubby/child. Bonus!!

Also play recorder, pennywhistle, ocarina, and other folkie wind-type instruments. Those are fun too!

PS- I stink pretty badly at all of the above, by professional standards. By non-musician standards, I sound great.

MrO
08-30-2001, 08:29 AM
These days I play fretless bass guitar, mostly blues, and I'm trying to learn some jazz. I have an electric and an acoustic. The acoustic I defretted myself--kinda fun.

I also play around with a ceramic djembe that I lugged all the way from Marrakesh, and I sometimes play guitar, mostly fingerstyle. Used to play flute, back in high school when Jethro Tull was popular.

Misery Loves Co.
08-30-2001, 09:59 AM
I've been playing violin most of my life, have a degree in violin performance; picked up bass guitar when I was in High School; I joined a rock band and did split-time between college and that, and started experimenting with electric violin (built my own!), going after a rock-n-roll/metal sound rather than the standard fusion or folk, have dabbled with mandolin, guitar, and have a set of bagpipes I'd love to get reeds for so I can totally piss off my neighbors. I've played Classical, metal, rock, blues, jazz, country, bluegrass, irish, and even had fun improvising with middle-eastern drumming groups. Mmmmmm - bellydancers.....

Oh - and my measurements are 36-26-36, I like fluffy bunnies and working with children1

bdgr - Downloaded yer .mp3's - good stuff! If you get a chance you might want to run the conversion to mp3 again; the tracks kept 'skipping'

1in a pig's eye -(sorry, it's morning and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet)

SqrlCub
08-30-2001, 10:42 AM
I play classical guitar (bachelor's of music in classical guitar performance and music theory/composition) but mostly like playing my own things now. I have been told they sound like "renaissance/jazz" but it is really a fusion of three styles: Renaissance melodies, jazz harmonies, and flamenco rhythms, and bittersweet lyrics :).

I took some piano in college and at the time could play decently enough. (Scriabin Etudes, easier Chopin and the like.) Now I haven't played for years. I was never completely comfortable on the piano and it took a whole lot of work to get anything down pat but it was enjoyable. If I had more time I would have probably been ok at it.

I sing as well, Baritone here. I have sung in a variety of bands/choirs/and solo. I enjoy it but now only do it with my own music.

I can also play a variety of the orchestral strings but abhor the violin (it is too small). I played the viola and cello decently enough (ie, in tune and with some decent fretwork) but played the upright bass much better. I enjoy playing the bass but it never felt as lyrical as the guitar so I quit. (I played bass in various grindcore/punk bands when I was younger.)

I am learning to play the congas. I am technically certified to teach any band (woodwinds/brass/percussion) and stringed (orchestral) instruments but wouldn't really feel comfortable doing anything much other than guitar/lute/piano/voice.

I also play the recorder, shawm, hurdy gurdy and several other renaissance instruments. I did about half of my junior and senior recital on my lute. It was a lot of fun.

Those are the instruments I play well. I have a working knowledge of most of the other ones and can play some melodies as appropriate but wouldn't really consider myself able to play them as I am not completely comfortable with them.

HUGS!
Sqrl

bdgr
08-30-2001, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by MLC
I've been playing violin most of my life, have a degree in violin performance; picked up bass guitar when I was in High School; I joined a rock band and did split-time between college and that, and started experimenting with electric violin (built my own!), going after a rock-n-roll/metal sound rather than the standard fusion or folk, have dabbled with mandolin, guitar, and have a set of bagpipes I'd love to get reeds for so I can totally piss off my neighbors. I've played Classical, metal, rock, blues, jazz, country, bluegrass, irish, and even had fun improvising with middle-eastern drumming groups. Mmmmmm - bellydancers.....

I used to have an electric violin. I took my 100 year old violin I played in high school orchestra, and put a barcus berry transducer on it. I started buying guitar stomp boxes and running it through them, then I started running through the filter banks on my moog synth. Talk about pissing off the nieghbors. I tryed getting into a couple of bands my friends had, but they wernt much interested in the violin, just the synth. Eventually I sold the violin to buy more keyboard gear. I have regretted it often. I still have a mandolin, and since they are strung the same as a violin, I can play that somewhat. I was big fan of Jean luc ponty, I got to see him live in dallas at the majestic in about 1983.

bdgr - Downloaded yer .mp3's - good stuff! If you get a chance you might want to run the conversion to mp3 again; the tracks kept 'skipping'

Thanks. Yeah, I noticed the skip last night, after I posted this. I think I will rip the cd again and put all the tracks up there, maybe make them a little smaller. We did a 12 bar blues jam with digeredo for one track. Pretty much sucked, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

screech-owl
08-30-2001, 10:56 AM
Bachelors and Masters degree in Music (Education, but still did performance and lessons) - voice major (mezzo-soprano). Have done some singing in church and secular choirs.

Still play some piano, organ, and guitar. Getting back into recorder. Had to learn basics for all the orchestral instruments (except oboe and bassoon) for teaching techniques classes. Did mallet percussion back in high school (pretty good on the vibraphone, but no Lionel Hampton, alas). I doodle around on a friend's celtic harp, but would love to learn pedal harp.

Really really miss playing french horn (high school and some college). May pick one up again if I can find a decent music store around here.

Actually, I always wanted to play cello.

bdgr - I met Jean-Luc Ponty. Great guy, phenominal concert. Rates right up there with meeting Dizzy Gillespie and Pat Methany after their concerts. Had a wonderful half-hour chat with George Winston after his concert and he played some new stuff for me. Great guys.

dalovindj
08-30-2001, 11:09 AM
Mostly I do Musical Theater and contemporary Christian music, but I like all kinds, except rap, which is not music IMHO.

Here we go again. Not only is this an ignorant and close-minded statement, it is entirely untrue. Back it up. Provide a definition (and where you got it) of music that can't include hip-hop.

Now what you can speak to is whether or not you like that particular kind of music. You obviously don't like rap. Why?

I hate contemproary christian music. It's still music. Here's why I hate it:

-Speaks to a large portion of the culture that is brainwashed by a 2000 year old mythology (GD anyone?).

-It is usually very very cheesy.

-It is usually used as an excuse to pass the hat around and take more money for "The cause" off of hard-working people.

That said, I used to live in Kentucky, and I had the chance to hear a ton of gospel music. The only stuff I really liked, musically, was the old bluegrass gospel. It's message is stupid, but the voices and instruments blend together in an often haunting way that I find fascinating. It's not party music, but it has a special place in my heart.

Goddamn haters. Leave hip-hop alone. If you don't like it, fine. But for christ sake don't diss thousands of artists and millions of fans by claiming it's not music.

Per the OP: I play the turntables and steel drums. Thinking about taking up the standup bass. The only thing I really want to play live is the turntables, but I figure the more I learn about music and "traditional" instruments, the more I will be able to think musically, and translate that to my work on the decks.

DaLovin'Dj

SqrlCub
08-30-2001, 11:25 AM
You don't want to open that musical debate on what is and what isn't music here. It is too subjective.

When I play the guitar for fun, I can play in pretty much any style. I tend to like bluegrass and folk(I have been playing bluegrass and folk music for about 10 years now), classical (been playing classical music for about 10 years as well), flamenco (flamenco for about 8 years), and jazz (about 8 years also). I used to play a variety of heavy metal, punk, grindcore, and death metal (about 13-14 years ago). I played some blues for a while but only enough to get the basic 1 4 5 pattern down with some walking basslines... but it wasn't for me because it felt very contrived. I did enjoy soloing over those but that is about it. It is more interesting to play it all at once. :)

HUGS!
Sqrl

TwistofFate
08-30-2001, 11:27 AM
WEW,

Musicians play music.

You list a Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance as "what you play" (for want of a better phrase).

Rapping is performing using your voice.

Can you still class it as "not" being music when it fits your own criteria for being music?

as for the OP:

I play Clarinet, Guitar and Bass.

my bands mp3's are available on http://iamspartacus.iuma.com

bdgr
08-30-2001, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by dalovindj

Here we go again.

I was so hopeing we wouldn't.

Not only is this an ignorant and close-minded statement, it is entirely untrue. Back it up. Provide a definition (and where you got it) of music that can't include hip-hop.

This aint GD, so none is needed. Please, I beg of you, lets not get into a debate here.

I hate contemproary christian music. It's still music. Here's why I hate it:

-Speaks to a large portion of the culture that is brainwashed by a 2000 year old mythology (GD anyone?).

I'm not brainwashed, and I like some of it. I'm a Christian.

-It is usually very very cheesy.

absolutely true, but it is getting better. Actually I wouldn't go as far as usually, but maybe often.

-It is usually used as an excuse to pass the hat around and take more money for "The cause" off of hard-working people.

My church usually takes in enough to keep the doors open, and help a few people in the neighborhood who need it. But this debate doesnt belong here.

It's message is stupid

I personally don't believe in insulting anyones beliefs. I know you were responding to WEW, but with statements like that you insult me too. What did I ever do to you man?

Goddamn haters.

My sentiments exactly. See above.

Leave hip-hop alone. If you don't like it, fine. But for christ sake don't diss thousands of artists and millions of fans by claiming it's not music.

I agree with this statement entirely.

Per the OP: I play the turntables and steel drums. Thinking about taking up the standup bass. The only thing I really want to play live is the turntables, but I figure the more I learn about music and "traditional" instruments, the more I will be able to think musically, and translate that to my work on the decks.

DaLovin'Dj

Cool.

Acco40
08-30-2001, 11:32 AM
dalovindj can't get no respect! I'm with ya dj!

OK... I play flat pick (mostly rhythm) guitar. Completely self=taught. Yes I'm a masochist.

I'd like to learn fingerstyle, but it looks tough... real tough.

Whenever I see someone playing fingerstyle technique, it makes me feel like a cat clawing at the strings, the way I play. But, oh well.

I love the guitar because there are so many styles to learn and perfect that it really is a "lifetime" instrument. I love it so.

dalovindj
08-30-2001, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the support Acco40.

I love the guitar because there are so many styles to learn and perfect that it really is a "lifetime" instrument. I love it so.

I think this statement holds true for most, if not all, instruments. To really be great at an instrument is to know that there is no destination. It's not like you get to a certain level and that's that. Glad I did it. It is a lifetime journey, music. The more you learn, the more you learn there is to learn. To be truly great, it should be a part of your life daily, and should continue that way till you die. I can think of nothing I find more enjoyable than music.

Maybe sex. Tough one. On an island forever, you can have sex or music, but not both. Hmmmmm. I guess it depends on what she looks like.

DaLovin'Dj

Moe
08-30-2001, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by bdgr
Originally posted by Moe

Moe, Im ADD myself. Being add is advantage in improve. Because add poeple cant screen out outside stimuli, they pickup on the grove other people play naturally. I have watched Video of bandsi was in playing, I just kinda sit there and zone. I cant remember playing half the stuff I play, I just do.

bdgr I couldn't agree more. There was a time in my life only 4 - 5 years ago when I pondered this idea intensely, back when I spent countless hours trying to figure out who the heck I was. (I still don't know exactly, I just don't care anymore). I couldn't resist the feeling that there was a profound interaction between my ADD and my spirit of improvisation, as well as my life in general.
Maybe I'll bring this up in the future for further discussion when I have the time and energy.

bdgr
08-30-2001, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Moe
bdgr I couldn't agree more. There was a time in my life only 4 - 5 years ago when I pondered this idea intensely, back when I spent countless hours trying to figure out who the heck I was. (I still don't know exactly, I just don't care anymore).
Moe, I guess I'm hijacking my own thread, but something Tony Campolo once said about the subject of self discovery really had an impact on me. He said that he constantly had students come to him saying how they had to drop out of school so that they could strip away the roles society had forced upon them, and impact thier life experiances had had on them so that they could find out who they are. He said he always told them that they would find out in the end that they were an onion.

That if you strip away the layers of skins on and onion, there is nothing left, the onion is the sum of all those layers, and the self is merely the sum of all those life experiances. That the self is not an entity to examine and discover, but and entitiy waiting to be created.

Sorry, I don't know why i felt the need to post that, must be the pain killers. I'll be glad when I'm through will all this back pain crap. This vicodin is really wiping me out today.

south333
08-30-2001, 06:42 PM
I have played flute since about 5th grade (I'm in 11th now), but do not play it much anymore. I also play bassoon, which I started (mostly on my own, with a little help from my band director) in 8th grade and just started lessons in January. I also play a little bit of piano.

I am currently the junior field commander at my school, and am learning music theory (which I can tell is going to make my head hurt very shortly).

I like all sorts of music to play and listen, I've even dabbed a little bit into jazz on my bassoon (strange, yes, but possible, and loads of fun).

rackensack
08-30-2001, 11:17 PM
Played euphonium (baritone) for six years in junior high and high school, though never particularly well. As long as there was a moderately talented musician in the section, I was second chair (there was almost always someone around worse than I was, however). After my sophomore year, when our senior first chair graduated, I really expected to take over first chair by default. As it happened, the guy who'd been AllState first band first chair as a sophomore the year before moved to town, ensuring that I'd stay in my natural place. I realized early on that I wasn't going to be a brilliant musician and made myself useful in other ways (equipment manager, etc.). Since I'd always rented school instruments and never bought my own, I gave it up after graduation; I never really regretted that, since opportunities for solo euphonium players don't come around that much.

It did give me a sort of low-brass, supporting player outlook on my musical abilities, so that when I took up guitar my senior year, I never progressed much beyond the three-chord, rhythm-only, power-chord sort of thing; lots of Velvet Underground/Modern Lovers/Clash/Ramones/Troggs/Rezillos stuff. In any collection of three guitar players, I'd inevitably be the worst of the group and end up playing bass.

After college, I played less and less, and eventually reached a point where I didn't take my guitar out of the case for nearly eight years, until last fall. When my son started preschool, he got very much into imitating his music teacher, playing his toy keyboard and singing, pretending to play toy guitars, etc. I decided that it'd be fun to start playing again so that when he's a little older it'll be something we can do together, at least until he reaches the age where that'd be hopelessly uncool. I found myself enjoying it more than I remembered -- enough that I decided to go ahead and buy myself a bass and an amp that'd serve for either a guitar or bass amp. I don't have the time these days to really sit down and woodshed and improve my playing, but I do enjoy thumping around after the kids and wife are in bed. I mainly play along with CDs or MP3s of old pub rock, power pop, R&B and punkish stuff -- if it's based on a twelve-bar blues progression where I can get by with a simple walking bass line or something simple like that, I can manage.

My onstage career consisted of two performances, in one of which I played guitar and sang (provided I may be allowed some liberty with the term) on "Roadrunner" and "Someone I Care About", and bass on "Clash City Rockers", "Sweet Jane", "Blitzkrieg Bop", and "Submission" as well as our one original composition, "Iguana in the Sauna", then finished the set on drums for our version of Doktors for Bob's "Half-Assed Drunk".

pezpunk
08-31-2001, 09:22 AM
Lets see. I have played drums for about 15 years on and off. All through high school I played in a punk band and was also in wind ensemble, and jazz band. I sometimes did the drums for school plays too. I hate to admit it but I was also in.....gulp......marching band.

In 92 I moved from NJ to Tampa Florida and had to leave my drumset behind for awhile. During college I took up guitar and taught myself to play. I played nonstop for about two years and also bought a bass.

Finally in 94 I was able to ship my drums down and start playing again. I have played in bands that play anything from Talking Heads to Punk. Drums are definetly my main intsrument but guitar and bass have become my "escape" from dealing with band issues. I do a fair share of home recording with me, myself and I. Ironically I never play drums on my home stuff. Since everyone else is sharing Here (http://www.geocities.com/pezpunk74/transponder.mp3) is one of my works in progess. It's just a little instrumental....nothing big.

bdgr
08-31-2001, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by pezpunk

I do a fair share of home recording with me, myself and I. Ironically I never play drums on my home stuff. Since everyone else is sharing Here (http://www.geocities.com/pezpunk74/transponder.mp3) is one of my works in progess. It's just a little instrumental....nothing big.

Couldnt get the link to work, I'd like to hear it. I try to do a bit of home recording myself. My biggest problem I think with recording is programming the drumm parts, and lyrics. Those come slow to me. The instrumentals I can do all day.

bdgr
08-31-2001, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by TwistofFate
WEW,

as for the OP:

I play Clarinet, Guitar and Bass.

my bands mp3's are available on http://iamspartacus.iuma.com

Interesting stuff. I like the underwear song especially.

pezpunk
08-31-2001, 11:39 AM

I do a fair share of home recording with me, myself and I. Ironically I never play drums on my home stuff. Since everyone else is sharing Here (http://www.geocities.com/pezpunk74/transponder.mp3) is one of my works in progess. It's just a little instrumental....nothing big.

Couldnt get the link to work, I'd like to hear it. I try to do a bit of home recording myself. My biggest problem I think with recording is programming the drumm parts, and lyrics. Those come slow to me. The instrumentals I can do all day.

hmmmm let me try one more time.

Here (http://www.geocities.com/pezpunk75/transponder.mp3) is an instrumental

Here (http://www.geocities.com/pezpunk76/unfair.mp3) is one with vocals. This one is lacking a lead in the bridge. Im working on.

I just tested the links and they seem to work....if not, sorry ;)

bdgr
08-31-2001, 01:39 PM

I
hmmmm let me try one more time.

Here (http://www.geocities.com/pezpunk75/transponder.mp3) is an instrumental

Here (http://www.geocities.com/pezpunk76/unfair.mp3) is one with vocals. This one is lacking a lead in the bridge. Im working on.

I just tested the links and they seem to work....if not, sorry ;)
heres what I get

This page is not available.
We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance.

Some free host block links to files from other sources, so that people wont just use thier services as file servers. I suspect that is what is going on.

pezpunk
08-31-2001, 02:05 PM
I just tried it. The first one doesnt work anymore but the second does.

Moe
08-31-2001, 03:06 PM

That if you strip away the layers of skins on and onion, there is nothing left, the onion is the sum of all those layers, and the self is merely the sum of all those life experiances. That the self is not an entity to examine and discover, but and entitiy waiting to be created.

Great metaphor :) I'm gonna use that one in the future if you don't mind.

Sorry, I don't know why i felt the need to post that, must be the pain killers. I'll be glad when I'm through will all this back pain crap. This vicodin is really wiping me out today. [/B]

We seem to be on the same page here as well. I spent half of July and most of August out of commission with back problems. (do a search in GQ for my "serious back pain advice needed thread")

Moe
- who will gladly further hijack a thread once it's been hijacked by the OP.

PookahMacPhellimey
08-31-2001, 03:27 PM
Irish Harp - reasonably well.

Button accordion - horribly badly, but will learn, I will, I will, I will....

Genre: Irish traditional music on both,

bdgr
08-31-2001, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Moe

Great metaphor I'm gonna use that one in the future if you don't mind

[/B]

Its from Tony Campolo, who is a christian speaker(among other things), but the fundies (http://www.otherside.net/campolot.htm) hate him, so he must be ok.

He says all kings of horrible things, like we aught not persecute homosexuals and such. T

The evangelical church is "homophobic" he says, (1) and their views on homosexuality are "despicable." (2) Christians, he says, are too ready to pull their children from public schools because homosexuals are allowed to teach there, and he disputes the notion that homosexuals present a special threat to children. (3) He is critical of Christians who believe in a strong military defense, (4) those who eat a lot of red meat, (5) purchase fur coats, (6) or those who live the "affluent middle-class life-style." (7)

He says a lot of other things that tick these people off, like God would choose feeding a starving child in Hati over stained glass any day of the week. And that we probably shouldnt destroy the enviroment etc.