PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Dancing's Holy Grail: The origin of the lyrics. . .

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
08-30-2001, 10:28 AM
To Baby's annoying sister's annoying "Hawaiian" song:
I think this one is still unsolved.

What are the lyrics to that song, and was it written just for the film, or is some ancient Hawaiian song that Ms Brucker deliberatedly massacred.

. . . and you can whack 'em while you walk 'em, you can whack 'em while you walk awaaay. . . awaaaay. . . awaaaaay. . . awAAAAAy. . .
(or so it sounds)

This comes up on IMDB every once in a while, and no one there has ever come up with an answer. I've even posted this question before, but it remains a mystery.

Anyone???

MeCorva
08-30-2001, 04:54 PM
The lyrics from the script apparently are
(http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Cinema/4547/script.html)

Who’s this Hula hana, of kamana whala hula bay, she will hula when you have a lovely gift she wants, you’ll hear her say, bring me a pineapple that doesn't sting a bird that swims a fish that sings, I wanna I really wanna, bring me a volcano that blows up all the molten jama and a blue banana, I canna canna bring me a pineapple that doesn't sting a bird that swims a fish that sings, I wanna I really wanna, bring me a volcano that blows up all the molten jama and a blue banana, I canna canna (Lisa continues to sing in the background)

you can wackle all you wanna, while I hula all the day away, and you can wackle all you wanna, while I hula all the day away.

I have no idea of the origin.
Me'Corva

Earl Snake-Hips Tucker
06-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Well, gee, thanks for aaaaallll the responses to this thread. You'd think with all the zombie threads that someone would have come across this one searching for the same thing. Anyway, if anyone is interested, the answer. (http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20136607,00.html)
Between scenes [Jane Brucker] busied herself cowriting the nonsense hula song she performed in the film. "She is great fun," says coauthor and choreographer Kenny Ortega. "We had each other in stitches."

And there you have it.