PDA

View Full Version : Three Mo' Tenors

dropzone
08-31-2001, 01:48 PM
I think that we can agree that opera singers singing pop music is generally cause for the UN to start up another war crimes tribunal at the Hague. From Beverly Sills singing duets with Carol Burnett to Freddie Mercury and Monserrat Caballe singing "Barcelona" to anybody at all dueting with Luciano Pavarotti, they have run the gamut from horrifying to harrowing. So it was with great trepidation that I saw part of "Three Mo' Tenors" on PBS. Surprisingly, they aren't half bad.

scout1222
08-31-2001, 02:35 PM
I heard a snippet of them this morning on NPR. Kind of cool. I knew it was going to be on TV soon, but missed it. I imagine they'll play it again. Sounds like it would be fun to listen to, if nothing else.

I should probably check my local PBS station, but anyone know if it's going to be on again?

Spritle
08-31-2001, 02:44 PM
I read about it and thought the title was a bit off-color (NPI). Almost offensive.

Cervaise
08-31-2001, 02:51 PM
Heard the story on NPR this morning. Sounded like a fun show, but I wonder how much of the pop audience sits there fidgeting through the Puccini aria and waiting for them to get back to Gershwin or whatever.

dropzone
08-31-2001, 03:53 PM
My point is that they seem to be able to deliver both Puccini and Gershwin with equal facility, which is a pleasant change. As for PICness the title, it's the old rule of thumb: I can make fun of myself, but you'd better not make fun of me. If it doesn't bother them I won't let it bother me.

Forbin
09-01-2001, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by dropzone
I think that we can agree that opera singers singing pop music is generally cause for the UN to start up another war crimes tribunal at the Hague.

I am an opera fan myself,and I feel the same way about pop singers venturing into opera.
Aretha Franklin(who I think is great)horribly mutilates "Nessun Dorma".
Barbara Striesand(I like her too)also did a classical album and I was fool enough to buy it.It was bad beyond belief.