PDA

View Full Version : The video game ending thread- spoilers

andygirl
08-31-2001, 11:23 PM
I'm a horrible gamer. I admit it. To compensate, my style of gaming is to play with my brother- I sit on the couch and read comic books while he plays a game. I follow the storyline and solve the puzzles for him. Alternately, I read to him from the cheat sheet.

Hey, it's a contribution.

Anyway, endings to games that I have participated in. Any guesses?

The girlfriend croaks. The villain turns into an Alien who you have to beat. And the rest is essentially silence.

Fireworks!

Cut to the opera house- when the lights dim, it turns out that everyone is infected.

Netbrian
09-01-2001, 12:31 AM
Hey, you sound like my sister! Oftimes, I'll just say "You can play if you figure out this dang puzzle for me." Once or twice, she's actually done it. I think this is why I like Mega Man so much. =p

And your fireworks ending reminds me of my mother standing in front of me asking if I'd see fireworks if I beat the game repeatedly.

Chocobo
09-01-2001, 01:22 AM
Girlfriend croaks- Ninja Gaiden...3, I believe. That was a long time ago, though.

Villain is actually an alien- Mega Man 2. (Although you learn later that it was actually just another robot Wily made)

Silence- ...?

Fireworks- Super Mario, of course. (Even if it isn't, it still works)

Opera lights go down and everyone's infected- Parasite Eve.

GuanoLad
09-01-2001, 09:36 AM
Fireworks ended the first Monkey Island game, so that's my guess.

lno
09-01-2001, 10:09 AM
It seems strangely appropriate that Chocobo would know the endings to many console-based games.

Bring the PC-ending-spoilers on, I say! Bring them on! Well, after I've found some breakfast.

saepiroth
09-01-2001, 12:47 PM
i'm not so sure that chocobo got the first one right; it looked like that was the ending of just ONE game... probably an obscure one at that.

SqrlCub
09-02-2001, 11:15 PM
In Metroid (NES) Samus Aran (sp?) is really a girl. Just the opposite, to quote the simpson's own Mayor Quimby, "The chick in the Crying Game is really a man."

HUGS!
Sqrl

PS. I love evil spoiler threads. Mwuhahahaha

Drastic
09-02-2001, 11:40 PM
I like the very idea of this thread. I'll throw some more into the general pot. One game per line, starting now:

The savior in exile.

Mortality regained.

Eternal discovery waits.

Spike! For you! In your head!

He finally smiles.

Splinters of time will never mend.

A new god rises. Anarchy's promise. Life's good at the top.

The book is shelved nowhere.

Totoro
09-03-2001, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Drastic

Splinters of time will never mend.

Is this Chrono Trigger?

Ranchoth
09-03-2001, 01:09 AM
<<Spike! For you! In your head! >>

Either "Diablo", or "Volleyball Kombat" ;)

Here's another addition to the potluck: "The head (The second one) is tossed into the devoid, but the Legion had to be sacrificed."

Ranchoth

DarkPrince
09-03-2001, 01:30 AM
Drastic:
Mortality regained

Is this from Planescape: Torment?

Drastic
09-03-2001, 02:05 AM
DarkPrince: yup. I loved that the endgame could be tackled in a couple different approaches.

Ranchoth: likewise, a yes. Er, to the first at least. And I think a Volleyball Kombat secret level off of Hell would have been a great addition to the game--the Doom Knights could have batted Fallens around. Alas. :)

Totoro: Nope, at least not intentionally--never played that one. It's from a text adventure (folks usually call it "interactive fiction" these days), and a rather recent one at that. One other item in my potluck additions also comes from the IF genre.

For the other ending-crypticisms, the only thing I can think of is for "fireworks!"--and that's the ending stage in the lightgun game "Point Blank", where how many targets on the castle you zap determines the length of the fireworks display.

lno
09-03-2001, 12:31 PM
It's from a text adventure (folks usually call it "interactive fiction" these days), and a rather recent one at that. One other item in my potluck additions also comes from the IF genre.
And to think, I hang around r*if, lurk on IFmud, have played and judged annual comp entries for the past four years, and I don't recognize the splinters of time or any of the other endings.

I'm going to go cry now.

Why A Duck
09-03-2001, 12:34 PM
The savior in exile.

Fallout?

LifeWillFall
09-03-2001, 01:05 PM
my guess is spy hunter....

Ohh wait that game didn't end did it
Bah, I was always bad at these threads

*walks away in silence*

Sterra
09-03-2001, 01:26 PM
How do you get to the cow level in diablo 2?

The girlfriend croaks. The villain turns into an Alien who you have to beat. And the rest is essentially silence.
Sounds like FF7.

Drastic
09-03-2001, 02:04 PM
pcubed: righto. I always wanted the ending to be extended, the Wanderer raising an army from all the towns he's saved along the journey, coming back and taking over the vault.

And I've made lno cry, which is always when things go too far. The splinters of time thing referred to Adam Cadre's "Shrapnel" (http://adamcadre.ac/games.html), which for sheer visceral impact, in my opinion, very much outdid the more-lauded "Photopia."

The other IF ending was "eternal discovery waits", referring to the classic Infocom title "A Mind Forever Voyaging."

But the rest will remain unrevealed for now, until more eyes get put out. :)

Meleemancer
09-08-2001, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by andygirl
Cut to the opera house- when the lights dim, it turns out that everyone is infected.

Parasite Eve.

How about these. Sorted in order of obscurity, most well-known first:

Another star brings a new hope for 40,000.

A candid home video is made.

The new ruler kills his wife.

The new ruler kills his best friend.

Your photo album is shown.

darian00
09-08-2001, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Mind gamer
Another star brings a new hope for 40,000.
[/B]

Space Quest I?

lno
09-08-2001, 09:29 AM
Couldn't be Space Quest I; although you used the Star Generator to make the Sariens go kablooie, I don't recall any hint whatsoever that it either made a new star or helped 40,000 people.

There's a candid home video in one of the possible endings to The 11th Hour, I think.

Greyson3
09-08-2001, 08:53 PM
Your photo album is shown.

Earthbound. I love that game.

andygirl
09-08-2001, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by andygirl

This is Conker's Day Out, actually. Brilliant up until the end.

As for the fireworks... well, it seems like almost every damn Nintendo game ends in fireworks.

theendisnear
09-09-2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by SqrlCub
In Metroid (NES) Samus Aran (sp?) is really a girl.

SqrlCub you beat me to it! Thats the only game ending ever that had my jaw on the floor.

Salix
09-09-2001, 01:24 AM
Here, I have some more to solve, one game per line. These are from both console and PC games.

-------------------------------------------

You saved our kingdom, so now let's have some cake!

The witch is trapped under a rock.

The princess turns to you and says, "Thank you for the important thing!"

Your brother falls endlessly as some evil guy looks in a magic mirror and laughs at him.

You see a rabbit's head on a stick.

The salesman warps around while congratulating you, and then he leaves. You ride off into the woods.

Purple raisin-like blobs dance for you.

Your dream ends, and you wake up. (Actually, I can think of at least 3 games for this one.)

You ride away on a snowmobile with someone else, and who the person with you is depends on actions earlier in the game.

After getting past the slot machine, you're left drifting through space... forever...

The villain still lives, in the body of one of the two characters you thought had escaped!

Everyone in the virtual reality machine is saved from the giant bald heads.

The upside-down castle is destroyed, and the world is safe for another hundred years.

The penguin is never really the ultimate enemy.

As the dark side of the world fades from existence, so do you...

Mahaloth
09-09-2001, 03:01 PM
He finally smiles.

Final Fantasy VIII

Here are some tougher ones. I will divide them into their platform.

PC

He wanted the boy(you).

Those four wizards? They were evil. The bad dude was actually the good guy.

You hit the motherload(if you brought a pick axe).

The secret is that the world is a computer generated experiment run by a malfunctioning robot.

The murderer was the cop.
NES

Zande is not the main villain.

SNES
The villain is not actualy the bad one. Your party actually is(what a mind-frell this was). The whole game, you were actually fighting good, not evil.

Playstation
Schala is freed and the entire game has been a sidequest.

Everyone at Fishbell celebrates, each one representing different parts of the world.

Playstation 2
Your charachter doesn't really exist. He was only part of someone else's dream.

Mahaloth
09-09-2001, 03:03 PM

DOOM

Kamino Neko
09-09-2001, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Mahaloth
NES

Zande is not the main villain.

Final Fantasy III.

(Just replace the name, and you've got half the Final Fantasies... ^__^)

Chronos
09-09-2001, 03:51 PM
Quoth Ranchoth:
"The head (The second one) is tossed into the devoid, but the Legion had to be sacrificed."Myth, obviously.

Meleemancer
09-09-2001, 04:02 PM
Greyson3, correct; the other four of mine are still up for grabs. Three of them are PSX games, if it helps.

Super Mario 64?

Your dream ends, and you wake up.
Is one of them Super Mario Bros. 2?

You ride away on a snowmobile with someone else, and who the person with you is depends on actions earlier in the game.
Metal Gear Solid.

The upside-down castle is destroyed, and the world is safe for another hundred years.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Schala is freed and the entire game has been a sidequest.
Chrono Cross?

teppei
09-09-2001, 04:04 PM
the upside down castle one: castlevania:symphony of the night.

the one about schala: the 'real' ending to Chrono Cross

how about these:

it turns out that Earthlings were the masterminds behind the evil supercomputer, and your party dies destroying them.

your air balloon drops everyone in your party off in their hometowns, and you wind up in a bed of roses with your best friend who had sacrificed her life so that you could live.

The scientist character is teaching his class about what you did to save the 3 planets and the star of your solar system.

After seeing the destroyed golem off, the princess goes off with the android and the treasure hunter to seek out more adventures.

your girlfriend is brought back to life after seeing a dragon fly across the sky.

Salix
09-09-2001, 04:29 PM
DOOM
Yes!

Super Mario 64?
Yes!

Your dream ends, and you wake up.
Is one of them Super Mario Bros. 2?
Yes! Some other possible answers are Little Nemo and Adventures of Tom Sawyer, both for the NES, and Zelda: Link's Awakening might count for this as well, even though it was someone else's dream.

Metal Gear Solid.
Yes!

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
Yes!

Here are some more to solve:
---------------------------------------------

The world was modeled after the fantasy worlds of four people from Earth, and the butler was the villain.

You sail off on a boat to explore the world.

The goddess chooses to become mortal.

teppei
09-09-2001, 05:14 PM
The goddess chooses to become mortal.

I want to say Lunar, but I could be wrong.

Salix
09-09-2001, 05:25 PM
You could be, but you're not, because Lunar is the correct answer!

shmigheghi
09-09-2001, 06:03 PM
Slot machine one: Star Fox

The waking up and its a dream one can also be some SNES Mickey game...I forget which one. I think it's Mickey's Ulitmate Puzzle...something with ultimate in the title.

Witch under a rock: Banjo-Kazooie

Rasin blobs: A Boy and his Blob...maybe.

Candid home video: I think its an alternate ending to Chrono Cross.

Now for some of my own:
You get out of the tunnel just in time before the door closes and didn't get engulfed by the flames from the exploding final boss guy. Your comrades are waiting for you.

You get on a ship for Hong Kong.

Castle falls back to the ground...stars reunited...everyone happy again.

Congratulation!

Bad guy gives daughter back to rightful parents. (Names of bad guy/daugter would make it far too easy...)

Ranchoth
09-09-2001, 06:15 PM
Here's another one:

"Don't be a tuna head."

Juniper200
09-09-2001, 06:24 PM
A man and a woman lean against the railing and watch the flames. The identity of the man depends on choices made in the game's last sequence.

Meleemancer
09-09-2001, 06:41 PM
shmigheghi, could be. I have to confess that I've never finished it even though I actually own the darn game. Not the one I was looking for, though. The PSX ones are all RPGs, though, if that helps at all.

it turns out that Earthlings were the masterminds behind the evil supercomputer, and your party dies destroying them.
Phantasy Star II?

your air balloon drops everyone in your party off in their hometowns, and you wind up in a bed of roses with your best friend who had sacrificed her life so that you could live.
Dragon Warrior IV.

The world was modeled after the fantasy worlds of four people from Earth, and the butler was the villain.
Secret of Evermore.

You get on a ship for Hong Kong.
I'll guess Shenmue?

Castle falls back to the ground...stars reunited...everyone happy again.
Paper Mario. Wonderful game.

Gee, can anyone tell what genre I've played way too much of? :)

teppei
09-09-2001, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Mind gamer

Phantasy Star II?

yep

Johnny Angel
09-09-2001, 09:05 PM
Gosh, I'm not getting many of these. Here's some I know:

You make it through the hatch and onto the surface of the legendary lost planet.

Having saved the world and your people, you are turned away from home, because you no longer fit in.

Turns out, your father was an evil god, and you have to kill your brother.

You have to destroy your own mortality in order to die.

serack
09-09-2001, 09:22 PM
So what was the one where it turns out you were on the side of evil all along?!?!

teppei
09-09-2001, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Angel

kindof a stretch, but Final Fantasy 9?

Salix
09-09-2001, 09:59 PM
Slot machine one: Star Fox
Yes! It was on the secret path through the black hole, or the other dimension, or something like that.

Witch under a rock: Banjo-Kazooie
Yes!

Rasin blobs: A Boy and his Blob...maybe.
Maybe, but that's not the one I'm thinking of. Here's a hint: it's the ending to a game that was the basis for a recent catch phrase that was all around the Internet...

Secret of Evermore.
Yes!

I'm not sure about the one where you're on the side of evil all along, but are you thinking of Terranigma? I remember the elder turned out to be the villain, but he was the one who sent you on the quest in the first place.

Chocobo
09-09-2001, 11:45 PM

Could also be Crusader of Centy, although Final Fantasy 9 would apply.

How about these:

PSX-

The world is saved from becoming a parking lot.

The world is saved, but you lose the girl. (Unless you beat the Epilogue)

Turns out your glorious leader is actually insane, and trys to blow up the sun. You of course, stop him and the war he started.

A peasant ends a war and becomes king, but only after using and manipulating everyone around.

PC-

The cloaking device fails in hyperspace, destroying the traitor's ship.

You go through the portal into the unknown, looking for conquest.

The mysterious figure is not who the mental patient thought he was.

NES-

After creating the legendary fifth sword from four other swords, you go to destroy the big computer in the floating tower.

Dreamcast-

After being rescued by your brother and stopping the crazy transvestite, you finally escape Antarctica.

You get all the passengers to their destination.

--
That's all I have for now.

Genseric
09-10-2001, 01:12 AM
"Don't be a tuna head."

Maniac Mansion?

Having saved the world and your people, you are turned away from home, because you no longer fit in.

Fallout (covered earlier)

Baldur's Gate

Planescape Torment

Here's one for ya.

You are lost in deep space and place yourself in suspended animation.

Saitou
09-10-2001, 03:12 AM

Goldrush

Originally posted by Juniper200
A man and a woman lean against the railing and watch the flames. The identity of the man depends on choices made in the game's last sequence.

My favorite game: Gabriel Knight

Originally posted by Genseric

Space Quest II ?

Salix
09-10-2001, 08:09 AM
You get all the passengers to their destination.
Crazy Taxi?

tirial
09-10-2001, 08:12 AM
After seeing the destroyed golem off, the princess goes off with the android and the treasure hunter to seek out more adventures.
--
Wild Arms?

Here's another:
After losing the symbiotes the girl goes off to raise her brother, the monk starts training a new class at the monastery, and the hero's fate depends on actions earlier in the game.

Balance
09-10-2001, 11:39 AM
All the ones I knew are already covered. Oh, well--here's one for the PC:

The shell-shocked, extraordinarily stupid blonde walks slowly away from the house.

Mahaloth
09-10-2001, 12:22 PM
Balance, yours is Phantasmagoria.

Well, some of mine were gotten, others weren't. I'll answer the ones that I think are too obscure, leave the one's you should be able to get.

PC

He wanted the boy(you). No one has gotten this??? This was the easiest one!. Keep Trying

Those four wizards? They were evil. The bad dude was actually the good guy. This one is Zork: Nemesis.

The secret is that the world is a computer generated experiment run by a malfunctioning robot. Come on, it's a classic!.

The murderer was the cop. The answer was Dagger of Amon Ra.

SNES
The villain is not actualy the bad one. Your party actually is(what a mind-frell this was). The whole game, you were actually fighting good, not evil. Someone had to play this game! Yeah, it's a totaly mind-numbing when you realize what happened. Keep guessing

Playstation
Everyone at Fishbell celebrates, each one representing different parts of the world. I'm hesitant to answer this one, but I will. It's Dragon Quest VII(Dragon Warrior VII).

Playstation 2
Your charachter doesn't really exist. He was only part of someone else's dream. This one is part of a series.

John Corrado
09-10-2001, 12:39 PM
Unfortunately, most of the ones I actually recognize have already been answered. However, I believe that "Another star brings a new hope for 40,000" is Sid Meier's Civilization.

So I'll just confuse the issue by throwing out some more. As a warning; they're all PC, and some of them are pretty old.

You crash-land your orb in San Francisco.

You defeat Lucian IV, and unite Eastrealm and Westrealm to fulfill your destiny.

You lead humanity into a mass conciousness, becoming almost God-like in powers.

You defeat the rogue AI and manage to save the Net.

Having made your millions, you retire and become President of the United States.

You are named Emperor, and therefore never have to hear the phrase "Plebs are needed!" again.

Having saved Germany from the Apocalypse, your names are forever legend.

Ethilrist
09-10-2001, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Chocobo You go through the portal into the unknown, looking for conquest.[/B]

Might & Magic VII?

teppei
09-10-2001, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by tirial
--
Wild Arms?
yep

Here's another:
After losing the symbiotes the girl goes off to raise her brother, the monk starts training a new class at the monastery, and the hero's fate depends on actions earlier in the game.
Koudelka?

Juniper200
09-10-2001, 01:59 PM
He wanted the boy(you). No one has gotten this??? This was the easiest one!. Keep Trying
Didn't see this the first time around. It's an oldie but a goodie: The 7th Guest. You're right, that was pretty easy. :)

Saitou: Ding! That is correct. It's my favorite game as well; I really ought to start an appreciation thread one of these days...

mordax
09-10-2001, 02:33 PM
Hi guys.
This is my first post at SD. :)

Here are some of my favorites:

- All of your mortal friends die, and you go to your final punishment.

- A mysterious group plots your downfall.

- There's fireworks...and a parade. :)

- The world is saved, but inhabited by dinosaurs.

- You will yourself right out of existence.

And, it's an arcade game, but still worth it:
- The President takes you out for a hamburger.

Balance
09-10-2001, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by mordax

Chrono Trigger (this game is such a mine for endings)

Mahaloth is correct, of course--mine was Phantasmagoria, home of one of the dumbest protagonists in the history of gaming.

Here's another:
By use of a clever bit of sabotage and a lot of frantic running away, you arrange for the main bad guy to off himself in a really nasty fashion.

Journeyman
09-10-2001, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Chocobo

Warcraft 2: Beyond the Dark Portal, Orc Campaign?

Greyson3
09-10-2001, 03:28 PM
After creating the legendary fifth sword from four other swords, you go to destroy the big computer in the floating tower.

That would be Crystalis sir.

Ho ho, I've got some. Except for the sixth one, they're all from my favorite games, or the ones that haven't been mentioned yet.

PSX

Two artists, a photographer, a talk show host, a model, and you... but what happened to the Snow Queen?

A flower blooms on the ruins of a city encased in flesh, which is kind of gross once you think about it.

SNES

In the end you get the girl, but God takes away your memories. Stupid God.

An unsuspecting hero with inexplicably wind-blown hair and his bratty girlfriend usher in a new age with pencils and backpacks and lunchboxes for all. Hooray.

A reincarnated seagull gets some hot Scandinavian loving.

The main characters both die, but then go back home to see their stupid baby boy.

You destroy the aptly named boss of Drake Inc and live on in a happy, karma filled-life and plus a nifty pair of shades.

Journeyman
09-10-2001, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by John Corrado
You lead humanity into a mass conciousness, becoming almost God-like in powers.

Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri?

You are named Emperor, and therefore never have to hear the phrase "Plebs are needed!" again.

One of the Ceasar games (wild guess)?

Salix
09-10-2001, 04:28 PM
An unsuspecting hero with inexplicably wind-blown hair and his bratty girlfriend usher in a new age with pencils and backpacks and lunchboxes for all. Hooray.
Illusion of Gaia?

The main characters both die, but then go back home to see their stupid baby boy.
Lufia 2? Of course, this isn't really a spoiler if you've played the beginning of Lufia 1...

Greyson3
09-10-2001, 05:50 PM
Yep, right on both counts.

Chocobo
09-10-2001, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Journeyman

Warcraft 2: Beyond the Dark Portal, Orc Campaign?

Indeed. The Crystalis one was right two. Those two games rock. I'm surprised no one has gotten this one yet:

The mysterious figure is not who the mental patient thought he was.

Journeyman
09-10-2001, 06:28 PM
God, what was that game called...

Sanitarium?

teppei
09-10-2001, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Greyson3
Two artists, a photographer, a talk show host, a model, and you... but what happened to the Snow Queen?

Revelations Persona?

shmigheghi
09-10-2001, 10:15 PM
Oh...

Rasin Blobs- Zero Wing

Here's a really obscure one, pat yourself on the back if you've played this:

Galaxy is encased in some sno-globe like thing, you and friends go in front of court to testify why the galaxy shouldn't be shut down. You give them chocolate and something else and save the earth.

Meleemancer
09-10-2001, 10:20 PM
John Corrado, correct with Civ/Civ2. I really can't wait for the third installment to come out.

After being rescued by your brother and stopping the crazy transvestite, you finally escape Antarctica.
Resident Evil - CODE: Veronica.

There's fireworks...and a parade.
Possibly Super Mario RPG? Or its sequel, Paper Mario?

In the end you get the girl, but God takes away your memories. Stupid God.
Is this Soul Blazer? It's been years.

I guess it's been long enough. While the games I chose weren't very obscure, I suppose my descriptions of them were too much so. Here are the remaining three:

A candid home video is made. Final Fantasy VIII. I know someone out there has to have played this to completion, given all the obscure RPGs I saw out there. Oh well.

The new ruler kills his wife. Final Fantasy Tactics. Again, a big-name game, good enough for a classic re-issue. In this case, the ruler is your best friend, who ends up taking the credit for your victories. And marrying into royalty before eliminating it.

The new ruler kills his best friend. Suikoden II, one of the best lesser-known RPGs on the Playstation. In this case, you are the ruler, and this is the "worst ending", but also the only one that the majority of people who played this will see.

Stealth
09-10-2001, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Salix

This was posted way back in the thread somewhere but I didn't see an answer and I have to know..

Is it Terranigma? (SNES)

Salix
09-10-2001, 11:06 PM
Rasin Blobs- Zero Wing
Yes!

Is it Terranigma? (SNES)
Yes! I guessed that for someone else's clue as well, because it was another aspect of the ending... but I guess I was wrong. Here's what I was trying to guess:

The villain is not actualy the bad one. Your party actually is(what a mind-frell this was). The whole game, you were actually fighting good, not evil.
This just sounds like such a cool premise, and I might have even played a game like this, but I can't figure out what it is! It sounds like it must be a RPG...

Stealth
09-10-2001, 11:21 PM

I don't know Salix. That sounds a lot like Terranigma to me too. The problem is that, in Terranigma, you we're fighting evil when you first fell to earth because you had to revive civilization. So you were always fighting for evil but not strictly fighting against good. Man I love that game. :)
Many RPGs contain aspects from other games so sometimes it's hard to say what's what.

Chocobo
09-10-2001, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Journeyman

Sanitarium?

Nope. A clue: The mental patient gives the mysterious figure something he needs.

teppei
09-10-2001, 11:57 PM
Diablo 2?

Heath Doolin
09-10-2001, 11:58 PM
Yer going down ppl

-A load of wind up rabbits cross the road

-Yer pal you were sent to protect is in fact using you for evil purposes, so you take him down and escape the island

-The guild welcomes you back, having defeated the oncoming evil. You tell them in small talk to piss off but they say it is written in their ancient texts that you will return. (AND THEY DAMN WELL BETTER MAKE THE NEXT GAME)

-Having went through mountains of enemies, you finally lead the main boss under his own ufo and turn him into toast by making the big beam fire down on him

-You kick the main bosses head for a field goal

-You and your gang have established yourself as the best tag gang in the city

-You get arrested, thrown into a police car and carted off with a smug look on your face.

-The enemy you thought you killed once returns to make a deal but after careful consideration, you tell it to go to hell and blast it. However, the other couple that escaped harbor a secret in their pod.

-Your family is re-established as the royalty of the clan after you and your warriors take the pyramid stronghold from the captain and his royal guard.

-You and your babe snowmobile off into the Alaskan Wilderness

-Your find out your main instigator is your father and you reject his offer to take over the park.

-You finally blast the crap outta Mr. Smiley and use the train to escape the city.

-You head off to China on a boat...seeking vengence and a cute chick from your dreams

mordax
09-11-2001, 12:06 AM
Balance:
Yep, Chrono Trigger. :)

Mind Gamer:
There's fireworks...and a parade.
Possibly Super Mario RPG? Or its sequel, Paper Mario?
Nope. Also Chrono Trigger, although I s'pose my clue was too vague.

Badtz Maru
09-11-2001, 01:19 AM
A mysterious group plots your downfall.

Baldur's Gate 2

Kathara
09-11-2001, 06:10 AM
You kick the main bosses head for a field goal

Banjo-Tooie?

You and your gang have established yourself as the best tag gang in the city

Jet Grind Radio?

You finally blast the crap outta Mr. Smiley and use the train to escape the city.

Uh, Resident Evil 2? (Probably not...)

tirial
09-11-2001, 06:17 AM
quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------

Here's another:
1)After losing the symbiotes the girl goes off to raise her brother, the monk starts training a new class at the monastery, and the hero's fate depends on actions earlier in the game.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Koudelka?

--
1)No, sorry. If it helps, the brother was the bad guy.

2)Which old PC game ends with the line "Tell me <name removed> have you ever heard of Cthulhu?"

Tirial

Mahaloth
09-11-2001, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Stealth

I don't know Salix. That sounds a lot like Terranigma to me too. The problem is that, in Terranigma, you we're fighting evil when you first fell to earth because you had to revive civilization. So you were always fighting for evil but not strictly fighting against good. Man I love that game. :)
Many RPGs contain aspects from other games so sometimes it's hard to say what's what.

Well, no one has been able to guess this one. It's Tales of Phantasia for the SNES. Davos is the main villain, but he was trying to save his own planet. In the end, you killl him but the Spirit in the Tree ressurects him and they go to save his world. Throughout the game, members of your party stop and wonder what Davos is all about, but they ultimately decide to fight him anyway. WEIRD GAME.

The one where you only exist in someone else's dream? Final Fantasy X

rjung
09-11-2001, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Heath Doolin
-You and your babe snowmobile off into the Alaskan Wilderness
Metal Gear Solid -- the good ending, anyway.

-You head off to China on a boat...seeking vengence and a cute chick from your dreams
Shenmue?

mordax
09-11-2001, 02:52 PM
Badtz Maru:
Yep, Baldur's Gate 2. :)

Ethilrist
09-11-2001, 03:17 PM
-You kick the main bosses head for a field goal

Duke Nukem.

Second Echo
09-11-2001, 05:39 PM

Chakan: The Forever Man. Definitely.

Stealth
09-11-2001, 10:42 PM
It's Tales of Phantasia for the SNES.
Really? I'm just in the middle of that one now. Well that's what I get for coming in here I guess. :D

andrew dupont
09-12-2001, 01:24 AM
Flashback for the Genesis and SNES. What an awesome game.

Mekhazzio
09-12-2001, 02:28 AM
Chocobo:
TIE Fighter, Collector's CDROM. And goddamn was that MUTR-swarm mission hard
John Corrado:
You defeat the rogue AI and manage to save the Net.

Having saved Germany from the Apocalypse, your names are forever legend.
First could be many things, but I'll guess System Shock.

Second: Darklands
Greyson3:
You destroy the aptly named boss of Drake Inc and live on in a happy, karma filled-life and plus a nifty pair of shades.
Shadowrun, SNES version. Sexy dragon he was, too ;) Nice touch how you needed a demigod to even have a hope of killing 'em.
Heath Doolin:

The guild welcomes you back, having defeated the oncoming evil.

The enemy you thought you killed once returns to make a deal but after careful consideration, you tell it to go to hell and blast it. However, the other couple that escaped harbor a secret in their pod.
First, Thief 2. Great sequel

Second, System Shock 2. AWFUL sequel, hideous, retch.

I'd offer one of my own, but seeing as how most of my games are wargames and combat simulations, most of the endings are "and you win the battle" ;)

Superdude
09-12-2001, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Mekhazzio
Greyson3:
Shadowrun, SNES version. Sexy dragon he was, too ;) Nice touch how you needed a demigod to even have a hope of killing 'em.

Is THAT how it ended? I could never make it past the Jester Spirit. What was I doing wrong?

andrew dupont
09-12-2001, 12:52 PM
-A load of wind up rabbits cross the road
Is that Full Throttle? I could have sworn that wind-up rabbits were involved somewhere in that game.

Mekhazzio
09-12-2001, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Superdude
Is THAT how it ended? I could never make it past the Jester Spirit. What was I doing wrong?

The vampire doesn't actually give you the real name of the Jester at first. He initially feeds you some BS so you go off and get your punk self killed challenging an immortal. To get the spirit's real name from the vampire, you have to wave a stake at him.

Heath Doolin
09-12-2001, 03:02 PM
Hey you guys have gotten the ones your guessed right so far

and a golf clap for the one that guessed Full Throttle...if you turned off the game during the long credits you would have missed the wind up bunnies.

Superdude
09-12-2001, 04:32 PM

The vampire doesn't actually give you the real name of the Jester at first. He initially feeds you some BS so you go off and get your punk self killed challenging an immortal. To get the spirit's real name from the vampire, you have to wave a stake at him.

D'oh! Now I need to find a SNES, and that game. You know what would be cool? A version for PS2

Salix
09-12-2001, 04:34 PM
The enemy you thought you killed once returns to make a deal but after careful consideration, you tell it to go to hell and blast it. However, the other couple that escaped harbor a secret in their pod.
The villain still lives, in the body of one of the two characters you thought had escaped!
Mine is the second one, but don't bother answering it because it's the same game, System Shock 2.

Having went through mountains of enemies, you finally lead the main boss under his own ufo and turn him into toast by making the big beam fire down on him
Serious Sam?

Chocobo
09-12-2001, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by teppei
Diablo 2?
Yup. Poor ol' Marius...

Chocobo:
TIE Fighter, Collector's CDROM. And goddamn was that MUTR-swarm mission hard

Yup. And yes, yes it was.

decafe
09-15-2001, 10:36 AM

D'oh! Now I need to find a SNES, and that game. You know what would be cool? A version for PS2

Have to do a bit more than wave the stake. First you need to get the strobe light from the club (Is it The Jagged Nails club? I can't remember, the one Kitsune is in) and then use it to blind him.

A PS2 version would be pretty cool. Just imagine what the decking bits would be like!

robertliguori
07-19-2002, 07:45 PM
Through skill at weapons, spells, sheer willpower, use of an oxymoronic weapon, tattoo, or quick-talking abilities, you convince the person who has been trying to kill you since before the start of the game to do so. You die, and go off to undertake actions that will likely unbalance the multiverse.

Wolfian
07-19-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Greyson3

Earthbound. I love that game.

Is that the game with Ness? I only know of him via Super Smash Bros. (love that jump).

The curtain falls. The Princess apparently kisses you (how disappointing. I waited 7 years for grumble, grumble...)

You get into Miranda's clubhouse.

Your opponet says something with dots, the credits roll, and he disappears. (Hint: 3 answers.)

Your opponet lands, cries and runs away with you following behind trying to console him.

You disappear into the tides of time. (Big hint)

Eternal
07-19-2002, 10:10 PM
A new god rises. Anarchy's promise. Life's good at the top.

Deus Ex

You get arrested, thrown into a police car and carted off with a smug look on your face.

Max Payne

Avalonian
07-19-2002, 10:31 PM
Jeez... I don't know my console games at all, and everyone else has already gotten all the PC games (I think). So, here's a few of my own. One is really old, one is sort of old, and two are (relatively) new. One's really easy too.

PC

- A young neuroscientist is disconnected from the colony ship. She is the last to set foot on the planet of the colony's origin.

- Drink a cup of real tea and step (most improbably) out of your starship onto the surface of an ancient world.

- Your character beheads one guy who is already dead, kills a distinctly Lovecraftian creature, and your stone is taken by someone you've already killed.

Sega (multiple platforms)

- You rescue your family from a bunch of aliens and get them back to the oceans of Earth.

Avalonian
07-19-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by drayton
You disappear into the tides of time. (Big hint)

Ecco: The Tides of Time... which means you'll probably get one of mine straight away. ;)

Wolfian
07-19-2002, 10:45 PM
I think I'll let someone else take that one but I get it. ;)

lenin
07-19-2002, 11:42 PM
2)Which old PC game ends with the line "Tell me <name removed> have you ever heard of Cthulhu?"

Wild guess, but "Shadow of the Comet: Call of Cthulhu?" I have this CD right here, but I was never able to get too far in the game.

capacitor
07-19-2002, 11:57 PM
I have some:

You join forces of two of your former enemies to take over the world.

NYC is blown up.

capacitor
07-19-2002, 11:57 PM
I have some:

You join forces of two of your former enemies to take over the world.

NYC is destroyed.

Wolfian
07-20-2002, 12:15 AM
Drink a cup of real tea and step (most improbably) out of your starship onto the surface of an ancient world.

That sounds like "The Restuarant at the End of the Universe," but I wasn't aware that there was a video game.

Incubus
07-20-2002, 01:54 AM
After rescuing your brother from a crazy transvestite, you escape antarctica

That would be Resident Evil: Code Veronica.

The Soviet Psychic who threatened to take over the world thinks he has the last laugh when he steals the time machine, but it was not charged properly and sends him into the prehistoric era. Then he gets eaten by a Tyrannosaur.

Incubus
07-20-2002, 01:56 AM
The Ancient's efforts to wipe out their enemies through solar flares is thwarted when their world is destroyed by a Black Egg.

Incubus
07-20-2002, 01:58 AM
The Ancient's efforts to wipe out their enemies through solar flares is thwarted when their world is destroyed by a Black Egg. Much thanks from every other race in the universe. Then you get attacked by the Uthleks and blast your ship back in time, in an endless time-loop.

HPL
07-20-2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Incubus
The Ancient's efforts to wipe out their enemies through solar flares is thwarted when their world is destroyed by a Black Egg.

Starflight?

HPL
07-20-2002, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Incubus

The Soviet Psychic who threatened to take over the world thinks he has the last laugh when he steals the time machine, but it was not charged properly and sends him into the prehistoric era. Then he gets eaten by a Tyrannosaur.

Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge

HPL
07-20-2002, 03:05 AM
Drink a cup of real tea and step (most improbably) out of your starship onto the surface of an ancient world.

That sounds like "The Restuarant at the End of the Universe," but I wasn't aware that there was a video game.

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. They never made Resturant. Damn them for ending the game on a cliff hanger.

HPL
07-20-2002, 03:16 AM

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. They never made Resturant. Damn them for ending the game on a cliff hanger.

HPL
07-20-2002, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by robertliguori
Through skill at weapons, spells, sheer willpower, use of an oxymoronic weapon, tattoo, or quick-talking abilities, you convince the person who has been trying to kill you since before the start of the game to do so. You die, and go off to undertake actions that will likely unbalance the multiverse.

Planescape torment?

HPL
07-20-2002, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Avalonian

Sega (multiple platforms)

- You rescue your family from a bunch of aliens and get them back to the oceans of Earth.

Ecco the Dolphin

HPL
07-20-2002, 04:12 AM
I got some.

PC:
-You save the world, and then walk away from the President.

-You are led away by the cops, having saved the world, but are believed to be the bad guy.

-You step on a train, and ride into the unknown

-You find the bad guy, but are saved by the loved one you set out to save.

-A genocidal madman is killed, in Victory or Defeat.

SNES:
-You escape from a sinking ship, only to be browbeat by your rescuers.

-You return home after beating up the divine.

-You save the world from Nothing.

NES:

-You save an alien race from extinction by playing with cubes/blocks.

Journeyman
07-20-2002, 06:57 AM
- A young neuroscientist is disconnected from the colony ship. She is the last to set foot on the planet of the colony's origin.
[/B]

Homeworld. Good presentation on the story.

[hijack]
I have to say a few words about System Shock 2.
It's a great game, and it's just fine until you defeat The Many, at which point it starts going downhill. The ending sequence is disappointing. The big dumb shooting match is so un-shock-like, and the final cutscene, just bad. I think they just started running out of time, the game from The Body of the Many onward seems very rushed and totally different from the execution of the rest of the game.

Chronos
07-20-2002, 02:42 PM
Quoth drayton:You get into Miranda's clubhouse.Now, if that were Melinda (the Mental Marvel), that'd be "Chip's Challenge", but Miranda? I don't know.

How about these:

You defeat the commander of the city-state's forces and take his really nice sword, but you can't really do anything with it because you've already killed all the enemies.

You kill your evil half-brother just in time to prevent him from following in your father's footsteps (or trying to, at least).

HPL
07-20-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Chronos

You kill your evil half-brother just in time to prevent him from following in your father's footsteps (or trying to, at least).

Balder's Gate?

BraheSilver
07-20-2002, 03:48 PM
From HPL:
-You step on a train, and ride into the unknown
Grim Fandango, one of the greatest adventure games ever.

How about this?
After shooting down a former companion who stole a star, you head back to Manhattan for a night on the town with a comely pirate wench.

Avalonian
07-20-2002, 08:18 PM
HPL got Hitchhiker's Guide and Ecco... good show! And yeah, damn Adams for ending it on a cliffhanger.

Journeyman picked up on Homeworld... I tried to keep that one sort of vague. Besides, Karan S'jet (the "young neuroscientist" in question) is my favorite character. I even wrote a story about her, my first and only piece of fan fiction.

Nobody's gotten my last one, though, but it's a toughie. Not a very popular game, either, though it got almost universally-excellent reviews. A second hint: "Stuck. Won't budge."

Not that I'm doing much better... I'm stumped on the newest offerings.

Wolfian
07-20-2002, 08:59 PM
Quoth drayton:Now, if that were Melinda (the Mental Marvel), that'd be "Chip's Challenge", but Miranda? I don't know.

Grumble, grumble.... I haven't played the game in four years (darn computer crash), but yes it is Chip's Challenge and the girl is Melinda.

NES:

-You save an alien race from extinction by playing with cubes/blocks.

That sounds like Q-Bert, but I never finished the game nor got the point of it.

Here's another:

You fall to Earth from space after beating the bad guy and land on the wing of your partner's plane (Hint: Two games starring the same character fit this description.).

DarkPrince
07-20-2002, 10:05 PM

Second, System Shock 2. AWFUL sequel, hideous, retch.

I must now hunt you down and slay you with a laser rapier! :p

Here's some to nibble on:

*You hurl the world into chaos and pain when you choose to not sacrifice yourself.

*It's time to choose: Either you hypocritically give in and work for those you have strove against this entire time, or you can engage in a battle you have no chance of winning. It's your choice, after all.

*You escape from the drowning city after tricking your foes into turning themselves into "gods".

*You crush the enemy commander's face under your heel, ending the thousand year war and ensuring that humankind will live as flesh and blood instead of wire and silicon.

*The great destroyers annihilate an entire star system before disappearing. You stay behind to save thousands of the fleeing refugees and die in the massive explosion.

Oh yeah, Torment was a great game. Too bad it never got the attention it deserved. :(

HPL
07-20-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by DarkPrince

I must now hunt you down and slay you with a laser rapier! :p

Here's some to nibble on:

*It's time to choose: Either you hypocritically give in and work for those you have strove against this entire time, or you can engage in a battle you have no chance of winning. It's your choice, after all.

*You escape from the drowning city after tricking your foes into turning themselves into "gods".

The first one is Half Life.

Second is Indy and the fate of Atlantis.

HPL
07-20-2002, 10:44 PM

*You crush the enemy commander's face under your heel, ending the thousand year war and ensuring that humankind will live as flesh and blood instead of wire and silicon.

Total Annilation?

HPL
07-20-2002, 10:47 PM

That sounds like Q-Bert, but I never finished the game nor got the point of it.

It's not Q-Bert. The game I'm talking about actually has a story.

Actually, it could be one of two games, both starring the same hero.

HPL
07-20-2002, 10:52 PM
Another one.

Your Character and the other main character are the only survivors of a large explosion that kills both your enemies and your remaining comrades. However, Shortly afterwards, both characters are seperated again due to their own obligations.

robertliguori
07-21-2002, 12:04 PM
That one about being lead away by the cops sounds like Max Payne.

HPL
07-21-2002, 02:02 PM

Remember that "saving the World" is an important part of that sentence.

HPL
07-21-2002, 02:10 PM

Remember that "saving the World" is an important part of that sentence.

DarkPrince
07-21-2002, 04:17 PM
HPL Right on all guesses.

Still got
You hurl the world into chaos and pain when you choose to not sacrifice yourself.
The great destroyers annihilate an entire star system before disappearing. You stay behind to save thousands of the fleeing refugees and die in the massive explosion.

hardygrrl
07-21-2002, 07:56 PM
PC Game

It turns out the house was possessed and had impregnated the woman who was helping you. Depending on what woman you choose, you live or die.

Dewey Cheatem Undhow
07-21-2002, 08:44 PM
You hurl the world into chaos and pain when you choose to not sacrifice yourself. Sounds like one of the endings to Deus Ex.

Chronos
07-21-2002, 09:25 PM
HPL got mine, too, on Baldur's Gate.

HPL
07-21-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Dewey Cheatem Undhow
Sounds like one of the endings to Deus Ex.

Well, it is one, but you have three choices, not just two.

Kri'kla
07-22-2002, 04:28 AM

You hurl the world into chaos and pain when you choose to not sacrifice yourself.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (the bad ending)

Here's some more:

*Your new friend has to carry you because you are badly hurt. You leave the city on a flying beast.

*You didn't get to the beginning of the universe, but at least your boss enjoys the concert.

*You give the king a special box. It contains an item that allows you to escape.

*Trees cover most of the west coast of the US. Your buddy is rewarded with chocolate.

HPL
07-22-2002, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Kri'kla

Here's some more:

*Your new friend has to carry you because you are badly hurt. You leave the city on a flying beast.

*Trees cover most of the west coast of the US. Your buddy is rewarded with chocolate.

Is the first out Out of this World?

The second is definatly Sam and Max Hit the Road.

MyFootsZZZ
07-22-2002, 04:41 AM
I had a good one, but it's a little too early to give away Eternal Darkness Spoilers.

DarkPrince
07-22-2002, 06:24 AM
Yeah it's from Blood Omen, Kri'kla. Great time wasting game.:smack:

lno
07-22-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by hardygrrl
It turns out the house was possessed and had impregnated the woman who was helping you. Depending on what woman you choose, you live or die.The 11th Hour. That game was just shitty compared to 7th Guest ... and yeah, I know what I'm saying there. :)

*You give the king a special box. It contains an item that allows you to escape.That'd be Ultima 5, m'boy, and you're talking of the sandalwood box that contains the Orb of the Moons which gets you out of the Underworld. And yeah, the first time I played that I completely forgot to pick up that box, and had to restart and reply, as I only had the one saved game.

Skywatcher
07-22-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Sterra
How do you get to the cow level in diablo 2?After you beat Diablo (or Baal if you have the expansion), you will have the choice of sending your character to the next level of difficulty. Do so, save the game, resume game at the previous level, then use the Horadric Cube to transmute a Tome of Town Portal and Wirt's Leg to open a portal to the cows. Moo!

Skywatcher
07-22-2002, 12:12 PM
By the way, as long as the Cow King remains alive your character can return later to kill more cows. This may be changed in v. 1.10 though.

Slacker
07-22-2002, 12:47 PM

Playstation 2
Your charachter doesn't really exist. He was only part of someone else's dream.

From one of the best games ever.

Just, one more thing... The people and the friends that we have
lost, or the dreams that have faded...

Never forget them.

Dumbguy
07-22-2002, 02:21 PM
Nobody's gotten my last one, though, but it's a toughie. Not a very popular game, either, though it got almost universally-excellent reviews. A second hint: "Stuck. Won't budge."Undying
Thanks Avalonian. I read through the whole thread hoping someone would mention this game.

JRootabega
07-22-2002, 05:00 PM
Well wouldn't you freakin' know it. I thought I was in the clear until the last post was the answer I was hoping to give. Ah well.

Here are some purdy obvious ones:

1. You say a lot of stupid stuff and then another guy says a lot of stupid stuff and then you jump through a portal and there is no ending.

2. You say a lot of stuff that is not so stupid and another guy says a lot of stuff that is not so stupid and then you get stabbed and once again THERE IS NO ENDING

3. Your mystical friends come to your last-minute rescue and vaporize the bad guy...minus the cigar, that is.

HPL
07-22-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by JRootabega
Well wouldn't you freakin' know it. I thought I was in the clear until the last post was the answer I was hoping to give. Ah well.

Here are some purdy obvious ones:

1. You say a lot of stupid stuff and then another guy says a lot of stupid stuff and then you jump through a portal and there is no ending.

THe Dig?

hardygrrl
07-22-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by lno
[b]The 11th Hour. That game was just shitty compared to 7th Guest ... and yeah, I know what I'm saying there. :)

You're correct on both. That game irritated me.

smiling bandit
07-23-2002, 07:09 AM
We had freespace 2 up in the "Sacrifice yourself while aliens blow up the star".

BTW, did anyone else completely not get what that was all about? The aliens show up, there are many big battles, they bringnup the killer star fleet that could crush your whole species, and then...

they blow up one system (presumably including the jump points) and the games over?

ANd my character didn't die... he just... made a last minute jump and couldn't go bak to fight anymroe... yeah... so he went deep underground... sure.

smiling bandit
07-23-2002, 07:13 AM
Hmm, lets see...

You defeat the big bad boss. No one knows exactly why you just did this, least of all you, but you did. Then your best friend becomes a King through no virtue of his own and murders his bride, for no apparent reason. She may or may have been actual royalty. The game ends without even definitively telling you whether you lived or died.

smiling bandit
07-23-2002, 07:14 AM
Oooooh! I know

You beat, smash, and otherwise pound into the ground the super-mage boss in your own semi-inherited Hellish real estate.

Alphagene
07-23-2002, 11:44 AM
- Your young daughter shoots the final bad guy with a revolver.

- You get the girl and your efforts have enabled, among other things, humanity to communicate telepathically thus making the phone company obsolete.

- Using the Quasar Key in the OSHA room, you destroyed the base and saved the world. All without leaving Nevada.

HPL
07-23-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Alphagene
- Your young daughter shoots the final bad guy with a revolver.

- You get the girl and your efforts have enabled, among other things, humanity to communicate telepathically thus making the phone company obsolete.

The first one is easy. Outlaws

Is the 2nd one supposed to be Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders?

Stringer
07-23-2002, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mahaloth

[QUOTE]

Hah, Gold Rush, one of the few games I ever went through again and againto get every possible point. Taught me that Polk was president in 1848. Man, talk about an impressionable kid.

Best game ever. Scared the hell outa me!

Mr. Miskatonic
07-23-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by smiling bandit
Oooooh! I know

You beat, smash, and otherwise pound into the ground the super-mage boss in your own semi-inherited Hellish real estate.

Sounds like Baldur's Gate 2 to me.

Dumbguy
07-23-2002, 08:56 PM
Only 12 people bought this game:

You drive through the streets of Vegas battling Ronald Reagan, who pilots a giant robot.

Chronos
07-24-2002, 02:16 PM
Having defeated the other four with customized chunks of Blackrock, you become the Titan of Ether.

HPL
07-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by smiling bandit
Hmm, lets see...

You defeat the big bad boss. No one knows exactly why you just did this, least of all you, but you did. Then your best friend becomes a King through no virtue of his own and murders his bride, for no apparent reason. She may or may have been actual royalty. The game ends without even definitively telling you whether you lived or died.

Final Fantasy Tactics.

VladAntlerkov
07-05-2003, 07:05 PM
IIRC, the SNES one where you save the world from Nothing is Final Fantasy V.

One other SNES game:

-- Everyone is really cows in disguise. (Certainly one of the more completely sensical endings out there.)

RobuSensei
07-05-2003, 07:31 PM
The only ones I could guess have already been solved -- some (like Final Fantasy X) twice...

Here's some new ones.

--As you and the girl get out of the stolen prototype fighter, your commander gives you a medal. You and the girl smooch. Afterwards, the fighter self-destructs.

--You leave the boat and run along the beach, and find the mysterious girl that you thought had died in the castle, alive and washed up on the shore.

--The Bad Guy and his satellite fall from the gantry, causing the missile to explode just after liftoff.

--You, astride your horse, gaze at the top of the castle. The lady, standing at the top of the castle, gazes out at the forest. After a moment, you both turn away.

--You've defeated the four best of the best, one after the other, only to find yourself facing the hero of the TV show in the final battle.

--The final shot is of the American flag being raised into a sunset sky...but for some reason, it's conical, with two little arms and a few suckers....

KidCharlemagne
07-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Nope. A clue: The mental patient gives the mysterious figure something he needs.

Actually both those clues fit "Sanitarium." It still rings familiar in another game though - Lord knows I can't miss a game with a mental patient.

HPL
07-05-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by RobuSensei
The only ones I could guess have already been solved -- some (like Final Fantasy X) twice...

Here's some new ones.

--As you and the girl get out of the stolen prototype fighter, your commander gives you a medal. You and the girl smooch. Afterwards, the fighter self-destructs.

Rebel Assualt 2

--The Bad Guy and his satellite fall from the gantry, causing the missile to explode just after liftoff.

Time Crisis 2?

--You've defeated the four best of the best, one after the other, only to find yourself facing the hero of the TV show in the final battle.

Smash TV?

--The final shot is of the American flag being raised into a sunset sky...but for some reason, it's conical, with two little arms and a few suckers....

Day of the tentacle?

KidCharlemagne
07-05-2003, 07:59 PM

Is that Panzer Dragoon Orta?

DarkPrince
07-05-2003, 08:25 PM
Your new friend has to carry you because you are badly hurt. You leave the city on a flying beast.

Out of This World?

I loved that game. :p

MIKE_P
07-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Dumbguy
Only 12 people bought this game:

You drive through the streets of Vegas battling Ronald Reagan, who pilots a giant robot.

Interstate '82

For PS1:

(One of several possible endings)
Your character died in a car crash and the whole game was his dying dream.

RobuSensei
07-05-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by HPL
Rebel Assualt 2Correct!

Time Crisis 2?Right!

Smash TV?Nope!

Day of the tentacle? Exactly!

When the flag went up, I started laughing. I continued laughing through the credits. Then, when Purple Tentacle replaced the LucasArts stick figure guy in the logo, I completely lost it. My mom had to come downstairs to see what was going on....

MarsDragon
07-06-2003, 01:01 AM

I'm guessing Pokemon, though I couldn't say which one, having never played one.

All right, let's see one for the PSX. You beat the final boss lady, who regresses to a baby. You then gain the magical artifact for all power, but choose to use it in a silly/cute way. (For example, exchanging your face with your pet cat's.)

rjung
07-06-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by MIKE_P
For PS1:

Your character died in a car crash and the whole game was his dying dream.
Twisted Metal.

BraheSilver
07-06-2003, 04:25 AM
Everyone is really cows in disguise. (Certainly one of the more completely sensical endings out there.)Earthworm Jim 2.

Your character died in a car crash and the whole game was his dying dream. Silent Hill. The first, I think.

RobuSensei
07-06-2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by MarsDragon
I'm guessing Pokemon, though I couldn't say which one, having never played one. Yep. At the end of Pokemon Gold/Silver, you get to fight Ash Ketchum of TV anime fame.

VladAntlerkov
07-06-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by BraheSilver
Earthworm Jim 2.

Correct.

Another SNES game (one of several endings):

-- You sell your soul to a Devil, and he gives you the world in return. Then he kills you and takes over the world.

captainQwark
07-06-2003, 07:57 AM
here's some:

-the heroes save their home planet from being destroyed for profit

-one of the main characters reluctantly decides to save the world instead of being transformed into a human

MIKE_P
07-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Silent Hill. The first, I think. [/B]

Correct.

captainQwark
07-06-2003, 06:50 PM
did people lose interest in this game?

DKW
07-06-2003, 07:24 PM
I can answer two: "Thank you for the important thing!" is from Cadash (Taito has its share of Engrish, although it's nowhere near as bad as some companies). "Two dragons soaring through the sky" followed by the girlfriend returning to life is the NES Double Dragon 2 (her fate was indeterminate in the arcade version).

Some arcade/Neo Geo ones. Be warned, a few of them are pretty obscure.

Three kids are playing the same game you just finished. Suddenly, the screen smokes, and all the enemies in the game (except for the final boss ) pop out. The kids flee in terror, and the enemies chase after them. A few seconds later, the heroes jump out and take off after the enemies. The chase spills out of the arcade and onto an empty street.

Just when it looks like the mothership is about to escape, one of the enemy pilots makes the ultimate sacrifice. The ship explodes and the enemy general, strapped to a table, falls out. Several enemy troops rush in and start cheering...and then the table falls and squashes him flat.

The enemy fortress bounces all over the screen, deflates, then suffers an explosion. Your character emerges from the vanquished fortress, then triumphantly sails toward the screen...and crashes into it. The badly-damaged character limps through the victory parade.

"See you tomorrow."
"Oh, don't remind me..."
"Sorry."
[laughter]

The heroes never find the last stone, only a roomful of treasure. They don't care about wealth, so they donate it all to charity.

The two agents, who have been at each other's throats for most of the game, reunite with their rescued loved on (sister to one, ex-lover to the other) at the base of the tower. They look like they're about to squabble again, but she pleads for them to stop, and they do. The agents part ways forever, the rescuee leaving with one.

The bloodthirsty warlord's army is sucked back to the black oblivion they came from. The sun rises on the city, battered but now safe.

All the wrestlers in the game run over the new champ (including a copy of the champ) and dogpile on top of him. There's a loud rumble, the pile shakes, and champ throws them all off.

The two nuclear warheads begin their descent. Your plane locks onto both of them and fires missiles at them, causing them to run into each other and detonate in deep space.

You finally break through the last of the enemy defenses and rescue your commander...who happens to be over 20 feet tall.

The undisputed champ revels in becoming "the strongest in the world". Suddenly, he's called out by a past champion, who claims to still be strong enough to beat him. The present and future champs meet in the ring...

The hero puts the final map piece into place, quickly scampers over to the location of the treasure, and digs like a madman. The "game over" shot shows him celebrating in a room bursting with riches.

The rebels gaze at the destroyed fortress with their rescued family members...minus anyone they had to leave behind if they didn't have all the keys.

One of my favorites - The agent reflects on his tragic loss and how he'll have to keep soldiering on regardless. He marches all they way back through the now-empty mansion. Just as he's about to get in the car, his girlfriend, thought to be killed, bursts out the front door alive and well.

hebesphenomegacorona
07-06-2003, 07:42 PM
The cool dude croaks.

hebesphenomegacorona
07-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by DKW
Just when it looks like the mothership is about to escape, one of the enemy pilots makes the ultimate sacrifice. The ship explodes and the enemy general, strapped to a table, falls out. Several enemy troops rush in and start cheering...and then the table falls and squashes him flat.

Metal slug X.

Great game.

Hint for mine:It's for Gamecube.

HPL
07-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by DKW

Three kids are playing the same game you just finished. Suddenly, the screen smokes, and all the enemies in the game (except for the final boss ) pop out. The kids flee in terror, and the enemies chase after them. A few seconds later, the heroes jump out and take off after the enemies. The chase spills out of the arcade and onto an empty street.

Golden axe. Interesting ending.

Dead Pirate LeChuck
07-06-2003, 11:02 PM
Okay, I've been lurking around the SDMB for a LONG time, but this thread is too good to not post on.

PC:

Chaos spreads across the land. You are forced to split the world in two and leave those on the other half to die so there may be hope for those on your half. A flock of swans fly off into the night under a crecent moon.

captainQwark
07-06-2003, 11:51 PM
welcome to the SDMB, pirate!

Incubus
07-07-2003, 12:28 AM
VERY obscure:

You rescue the princess from the evil tyrant and propose to her, but she turns you down because you're too poor.

HPL
07-07-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Dead Pirate LeChuck
Okay, I've been lurking around the SDMB for a LONG time, but this thread is too good to not post on.

PC:

Chaos spreads across the land. You are forced to split the world in two and leave those on the other half to die so there may be hope for those on your half. A flock of swans fly off into the night under a crecent moon.

LOOM.

That game was sweet.

hebesphenomegacorona
07-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Bump.

Diceman
07-07-2003, 07:32 PM
By use of a clever bit of sabotage and a lot of frantic running away, you arrange for the main bad guy to off himself in a really nasty fashion.
Thief 2?

One of my favorites - The agent reflects on his tragic loss and how he'll have to keep soldiering on regardless. He marches all they way back through the now-empty mansion. Just as he's about to get in the car, his girlfriend, thought to be killed, bursts out the front door alive and well.
The House of the Dead. There are actually three endings: the normal ending, the good ending, and bad ending. You got the good one. I think that you have to complete the game without continuing (putting in more money) to get the good ending.

Sophie doesn't survive in the normal ending. It ends with a view of the mansion from the starting point.

The bad ending seems to occur randomly. I've heard that you get it if the number of continues is a multiple of a certain number. The bad ending is the same as the good ending, except that Sophie is now a zombie :(

hebesphenomegacorona
07-07-2003, 08:39 PM
After killing the giant monster, you see a naked woman on its back.

Leaper
07-07-2003, 10:54 PM
Here's my contribution, a game that holds a special place in my heart. Please someone get it so I can reveal why! :)

* The main bad guy annihilates the world, leaving only you and him alive. But due to events earlier in the game, you have gained the power to completely recreate it, including, in a twist you discover after the final battle, the love of your life who was killed by the main bad guy. An epilogue featuring two evil characters who survived the world-shattering spell due to undead or magical power sets up a potential sequel.

DKW
07-07-2003, 11:43 PM
hebes - It was in Metal Slug 2 as well...guess not a lot of people bothered to reach the end of that one.

Diceman - Good ending: Either side with 80,000 points, continues don't matter. Zombie ending: Either side with a last digit of 0 (and under 80,000 points). Continuing increases the score by 1, so it has to be no continues or a multiple of 10. The easiest way to get this is to jump in on the final boss, since you always start at 0.

The reason this is one of my favorites? After seeing all kinds of terrible tragedies in video games that are completely unavoidable (and console games are several times worse), it was just so refreshing to have a game where, if you were good enough, you could avert the tragedy. It's a great idea, and I'm actually surprised it isn't more common. (Think more than few console RPG gamers might be with me on this? :) )

HPL
07-08-2003, 01:18 AM
*The Bad guy gets away, the alien is defeated, the bad guy is destroyed but blows up a big chunk of the earth before he goes, and the bad guy is killed after merging with the alien*

smiling bandit
07-08-2003, 06:54 AM
The world is saved, but you lose the girl. (Unless you beat the Epilogue)

From way back - but I didn't see anyone answer it.

This is Lunar 2: Eternal Blue. However, it was not just for the PSX, as it priginally came out for the Sega CD. Great game, go play it.

Leaper
07-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Random trivia while I wait to see if someone knows my ending: the voice actor who played Alex in Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete is better known by the general public these days for doing what?

El Elvis Rojo
07-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Your character comes down onto the map, smashes the last marker, and after about ten hours of gameplay, you're given a good ol "Congratulations!" then credits.

Then you really want to kill someone.

hebesphenomegacorona
07-08-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by DKW
hebes - It was in Metal Slug 2 as well...guess not a lot of people bothered to reach the end of that one.

Never played it, so I can't answer.

Your character comes down onto the map, smashes the last marker, and after about ten hours of gameplay, you're given a good ol "Congratulations!" then credits.
Plok?

Oh yeah, the one where evil scientist becomes alien could be:
Kileak, the dna imperative, also.

robertliguori
07-08-2003, 08:09 PM
Rampage.

hebesphenomegacorona
07-08-2003, 08:14 PM
They had markers?

El Elvis Rojo
07-09-2003, 07:08 AM
Rampage.

You are correct, sir! Man, that ending REALLY pissed me off!

hebesphenomegacorona
07-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Your base belong to you!

captainQwark
07-09-2003, 10:54 PM
bump

HPL
07-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by hebesphenomegacorona
Never played it, so I can't answer.

Oh yeah, the one where evil scientist becomes alien could be:
Kileak, the dna imperative, also.

Nope. That was one of 4 main endings. And I never said "Scientist".

kushiel
07-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Leaper: Ashley Angel, voice of Alex, is now in O-Town (or some other boy band). And people wonder why everyone likes John Truitt more...*cringes*

HPL
07-10-2003, 09:25 PM
PC:

-You are led away by the cops, having saved the world, but are believed to be a phycopath.

SNES:

NES:

-You save an alien race from extinction after collecting tetris blocks.

Old Shellhead
07-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by shmigheghi
Galaxy is encased in some sno-globe like thing, you and friends go in front of court to testify why the galaxy shouldn't be shut down. You give them chocolate and something else and save the earth.
Don't think I've seen anyone else give the answer, but it's Callahan's Crosstime Saloon. Oh, Raymond. Heh. Great game!

Old Shellhead
07-10-2003, 10:42 PM
A couple more modern Interactive Fiction ones, don't know how many people have knowledge of them:

-You were really hallucinating in the desert the entire time.
-It wasn't telepathy -- she's been dead this entire time.
-The story continues, projected into a child's dreams.
-You go to the teddy bear picnic!

HPL
07-10-2003, 10:47 PM
An Arcade one.

You ascend the tower, kill the evil demon, and then have a choice: Take the magic orb and gain his power, or destory the orb and go home emptyhanded.

Leaper
07-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by kushiel
Leaper: Ashley Angel, voice of Alex, is now in O-Town (or some other boy band). And people wonder why everyone likes John Truitt more...*cringes*

Absolutely correct! And on your first post too!

Now if only someone would try to guess at my ending above...

Iacob_Matthew
07-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by HPL

SNES:

NES:

-You save an alien race from extinction after collecting tetris blocks.

The first one could be Soulblazer, Illusion of Gaia, the first Breath of Fire, or Secret of Mana II. I can think of a handful of others, but they're obscure and not all that great.

The second's probably Startropics II, but my memory could be off.

hebesphenomegacorona
07-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Yes, it is either startropics or startropics 2.

HPL
07-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Iacob_Matthew
The first one could be Soulblazer, Illusion of Gaia, the first Breath of Fire, or Secret of Mana II. I can think of a handful of others, but they're obscure and not all that great.

The second's probably Startropics II, but my memory could be off.

Correct on both counts.

Anyone want to try for my others?

HPL
07-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by hebesphenomegacorona
Yes, it is either startropics or startropics 2.

It's both, so I'll give it to you as well.

RobuSensei
07-11-2003, 09:46 PM
It's been a long time since I played this one, so the details may be off:

You are given command of the academy, while your best fr--er, rival gets command of his own task group. Meanwhile, the fleet admiral is busted down to ensign, and commits suicide in his cell.

Leaper
07-11-2003, 11:21 PM
It's been a long time since I played this one, so the details may be off:

You are given command of the academy, while your best fr--er, rival gets command of his own task group. Meanwhile, the fleet admiral is busted down to ensign, and commits suicide in his cell.

Wing Commander: The Price of Freedom.

Frankly, I think the Kilrathi looked WAY better in the non-live action days. And what's this CRAP about Hobbes being a sleeper agent traitor, which required the NOVEL to actually explain?!

Live action completely ruined the story, I'll tell you that much...

HPL
07-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Well, since nobody has been able to guess them, I'm going to lay them out.

PC:

Soldier of Fortune 2. (Hey, at least it was better then the first one.)

-You are led away by the cops, having saved the world, but are believed to be a phycopath.

Black Dahlia.

Outlaws.

Command and Conquer: Red Alert. Stalin dies no matter who wins the war.

SNES:

One of the endings to SOS.

HPL
07-24-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Leaper
Wing Commander: The Price of Freedom.

Frankly, I think the Kilrathi looked WAY better in the non-live action days. And what's this CRAP about Hobbes being a sleeper agent traitor, which required the NOVEL to actually explain?!

Live action completely ruined the story, I'll tell you that much...

Apparently there was a scene filmed but cut from WC 3 where you find a message in Hobbes locker where he explains that. Still sucks because they cut it out. I think I saw it from some website.

I disagree. Live action made the Kilrathi look stupid(Hobbes looked much cooler in WC2 then in WC3), but it didn't bug me for the rest of it.

HPL
07-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Here's one for PC:

You destroy the Fortress of Poison, rescue your comrades, and escape the explosion only to be treated to a credit sequence and nothing more.

BonoVox
07-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Having defeated the other four with customized chunks of Blackrock, you become the Titan of Ether.
Ultima 8

Ura-Maru
07-28-2003, 12:55 PM
You sell your soul to a Devil, and he gives you the world in return. Then he kills you and takes over the world.

This sounds like Dragon Warrior (1). Thatís not SNES, though.

Ok, these are easy. Actually, theyíve all aready been done, but what the hell.
-You finish what your surprisingly resilient brother couldnít, then climb down a hill with a skinny freak, while your murderer pompously tries to justify herself.

-You prove your moral superiority to your foe by nuking him, likely killing all your followers.

-Youíve triumphed, but the girl you like chooses her career over you. You then return to your home city, which hasnít been built yet. (Ok, a hint. Itís a fighting game.)

-Having conquered all your foes, you go to your new throne planet, where you and all your fleet are presumably brutally massacred by a giant lobster mech.

These are a bit more obscure.
PC:
-Though youíre killed, (maybe?) your tattoos inspire the villain to redeem himself. (Did anyone actually play this one?)

-Having taken out your brother, you squish the villain underfoot, and go home. Then one of your girlfriends kills a bartender, and thereís a lot of running around and screaming..

-Youíre given the choice between going to some kind of hell dimension, and pretending none of this ever happened, and going back to your annoying vanilla girlfriend. Iíd take the hell dimension. (GOD did this game suck)

-Yay! Youíve killed a stage magician, a tv psychic, a stage magician, a distinguished scholar, your father, your mother, and your brother! Now maybe you can get out of this STUPID HAWAIIAN SHIRT!!

-Youíve FINALLY got those damned tattoos removed.

-Youíve killed the devil, and mangled Christian theology beyond even a merciful Godís ability to forgive. You retire to heaven, which appears to be part of an office building.

-Holy crap! Thereís going to be a DEATH KNIGHT in the next one! Hoody Hoo!

-You sacrifice your body for AN ARMY OF UNKILLABLE ROBOTS! Kickass! Eat it, tribal wusses!

Arcade:
-Youíve killed the robot that was going to blow up the earth, but are taken out by the blast. Presumably you burn up on reentry.

-(This oneís REALLY obscure) You get paid! You have no illusions about having stopped the bad guys though, but thatís ok. Deep in your heart, you donít want peace, anyway.

Dreamcast: Man, I LOVED that thing. Still do, actually.
-Youíre damned to eternal torment for your arrogance. Itís not the place of a mortal to slay a god. (Kinda a downer ending, really. You can mitigate it a bit by playing the last save over again.)

-Youíve killed an evil radish and a giant fish-dog-bear-wolf-snake thing, but your girlfriend is still mad. You realize how similar the villainís situation was to yours, but thereís nothing you can do about it. (Hint: ďYou sacrificed her! You BASTARD!!í)

--
ĎI canít answer that. All I can tell you is that I AM human. That means I donít mind hurting people to get what I want.í

HPL
07-28-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Ura-Maru

-Though youíre killed, (maybe?) your tattoos inspire the villain to redeem himself. (Did anyone actually play this one?)

-You sacrifice your body for AN ARMY OF UNKILLABLE ROBOTS! Kickass! Eat it, tribal wusses!

Is the first one Planescape Torment?

The 2nd one is definatly Fallout Tactics, or at least one of the endings.

Ura-Maru
07-29-2003, 07:48 AM
Nope, not Torment. The other was Tactics, though. At least the 'bad' ending was fun, the 'good' and 'neutral' endings were way too happy for a Fallout game.

None of them were Torment, actually, though the 'damned tattoos' one could almost qualify.

--
'Thus is ultimate justice served by a guys thingie!'

Max Carnage
07-29-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Ura-Maru
Dreamcast: Man, I LOVED that thing. Still do, actually.
-Youíre damned to eternal torment for your arrogance. Itís not the place of a mortal to slay a god. (Kinda a downer ending, really. You can mitigate it a bit by playing the last save over again.)

mmmmm...Crazy Taxi?

Ura-Maru
07-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Nope. Never even played Crazy Taxi . . .

smiling bandit
07-29-2003, 11:21 AM
-You finish what your surprisingly resilient brother couldnít, then climb down a hill with a skinny freak, while your murderer pompously tries to justify herself.

This is obviously Metal Gear Solid, the "bad" ending. Although obviously Metal Gear Solid 2 suggests that your murderer... wasn't. And we still have no idea if Meryl officially survived or not, since they basically dodged the whole question by not mentioning her.

Ura-Maru
07-29-2003, 03:32 PM
Yup. (What couldn't Liquid finish? His sentence, of course. :))

From what I hear, the 'official' ending is the good one. Apparently after all that talk about 'living for someone else' and 'I was thinking of you through all the horror,' Snake and Meryl drifted apart after three or four months. :)

Much like Legacy of Kane and Fallout Tactics, though, the 'bad' ending seems to fit the characters and storyline better than the good one.

Either way, though MGS ending was pretty damn good, though I'll admit I was yelling 'WILL YOU JUST DIE!!!' at Liquid when he showed up in the truck.

--
And Otakon should definatly get his own game. :)