PDA

View Full Version : My name is _____ Montoya

Spatial Rift 47
09-01-2001, 08:33 PM
Anyone up for a game of The Princess Bride trivia?

Here's a few to start things rolling:

-What three real places were mentioned in the movie?

-How many times does Inigo Montoya say his signature line?

-What is the name of Inigo's father?

Have fun . . .

Lionors
09-01-2001, 08:39 PM
The Princess Bride the book, or The Princess Bride the movie? :D Love 'em both.

lno
09-01-2001, 08:42 PM
Um, sheesh, I haven't seen the movie in eons.

Real places: Well, that guy says he's a Sicilian, so that counts. And they mention Florin-something. Florence? Nah, I wouldn't be that lucky. And, uh, they mention, uhm, my pants.

Signature line: More times than I can remember. Um, seven?

Father's name: Domingo Montoya.

Spatial Rift 47
09-01-2001, 08:42 PM
the movie

Spatial Rift 47
09-01-2001, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by lno
And, uh, they mention, uhm, my pants.

Could you clarify that remark?

DynoSaur
09-01-2001, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Borg
Anyone up for a game of The Princess Bride trivia?

Here's a few to start things rolling:

-What three real places were mentioned in the movie?

-What is the name of Inigo's father?

Have fun . . .

Sicily, America, Australia

too damned many. 8?

Domingo

Laughing Lagomorph
09-01-2001, 08:53 PM
Greenland. Fezzik is from there.
Also, "never fight a land war in Asia".
Also, "the real Dread Pirate Roberts is retired and living in Patagonia".
Plus the Sicilian thing.

buh-buh-buh-BACON!!
09-01-2001, 09:01 PM
Actually, the son's name was Juan Pablo. "My name is Juan Pablo Montoya. You have wrecked my race car. Prepare to die!"

Spatial Rift 47
09-01-2001, 09:08 PM
the place question
Originally I had Spain (Inigo's a "Spaniard"), Asia and Australia. Ino is correct with Sicily, and Laughing Lagomorph is correct with Greenland. I don't know about America, was it the USA team in the video game kid was playing? Is Patagonia a real place?

Inigo's father
Ino got it. I think buh-buh-buh-BACON!! had too much buh-buh-bacon this morning.

No secure answers yet on "My name is . . [etc.]"

DynoSaur
09-01-2001, 09:16 PM
America is mentioned as where Westley is off to to seek his fortune.

waterj2
09-01-2001, 09:43 PM
Patagonia is indeed a real place. It's a region in the Andes, I think. Not a country or anything, though.

carnivorousplant
09-01-2001, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by waterj2
Patagonia ... Not a country or anything, though.

Oh yeah? Where do you think Patagonian Cavies come from, Nr. Hotshot?

OpalCat
09-01-2001, 09:50 PM
There is also a Lake Patagonia in Arizona.

sjc
09-01-2001, 09:51 PM
1) Depends on what you decide to include. Do you include Sicily because Vizzini says "never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!" (Being part Sicilian, I've always liked that line ;).) I am not so sure. If you don't include those sorts of things then: Australia, Greenland, Asia, and probably a few more.

2)Domingo Montoya. Easy.

3) Have to watch it again to be sure, but I should remind everyone that Inigo says his line when he and Westley wait for Westley to catch his breath. (IIRC, I may be remembering this from the book.)

DynoSaur, is Westley going to America mentioned in the movie? Or does he just 'go off to seek his fortune'? I can't remember.

Here are my Trivia Questions:

1) Why does Fezzik lose his fight with Westley? (He explains it in the movie when Westley has his arms around his neck. It is easy for those who have read the book, but Andre the Giant, bless his soul, is kind of hard to understand. Could you hold off answering this one if you've read the book? It is too easy then.)

2) Can you name [SORTA SPOILER]

the previous Dread Pirate Roberts's? I'll give you the first: The Dread Pirate Roberts.

[/END SPOILER]

3) What are the various fencing styles that Inigo and Westley mention? I believe there are four mentioned. (Please correct me if I am wrong).

Peregrine
09-01-2001, 09:54 PM

Six times. Once when explaining his quest to the Man in Black, once to Count Rugen before he runs away, and four times after he is wounded.

When Westley, Inigo, and Fezzik are preparing to break into the castle, what does Inigo list as their liabilities and assets?

Patagonia is the eastern part of Argentina.

Lionors
09-01-2001, 09:54 PM
Mind you, I'm having to go from memory, since my copy is stuck in the shuffle as we rearrange my house...but I'll take a shot.

Isn't Fezzik Turkish? (Which indirectly would put a vote for Turkey in, too.) The whole opening chapter talks about how big babies in Turkey are.

Scotland (didn't Inigo go there to train with MacPherson?)
All the places that Fezzik went to wrestle where the crowds just went BOO (there was a whole list of 'em.)

Wasn't Inigo's father's name Diego?

Lionors
09-01-2001, 09:57 PM
Ack, posted that before I saw yours, sjc. I'll retract the Diego part. <whine> I want my boooook!

Lionors
09-01-2001, 10:01 PM
Sorry for the multitude of posts, everyone. I didn't mean THE opening chapter, I meant the opening of the section where Fezzik's background is discussed.

As far as fighting styles, I remember Agrippa, Thibeault and Sainct.

What was the name of the weaponmaker that Inigo's father worked for and what city was he from?

Crunchy Frog
09-01-2001, 10:07 PM
I think we're sticking to the movie Lionors. I don't remember them talking that in depth about Inigo's father in the movie.

sjc:
Why does Fezzik lose his fight with Westley?

Because Fezzik is used to fighting groups of men. You use different moves fighting 12 men than you do fighting only one.

mobo85
09-01-2001, 10:18 PM
[UNPAID ADVERTISEMENT]
Hey, Princess Bride fans! I just wanted to interrupt this thread so I can inform you that MGM will release The Princess Bride special edition on DVD this Tuesday! This one looks like it will be better than the standard version MGM put out a couple of years ago. This special edition will include, among other things, three documentaries, including one new one created for this DVD release, two commentaries by Rob Reiner and WIlliam Goldman, video footage shot by Cary Elwes (Westley) during production, Dolby 5.1 stereo sound, and an anamorphic widescreen transfer.

I've just finished reading the book (which I've never read before), and am looking forward to seeing the film (which I've never seen before). If you want it, and you don't have it, buy it! (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005LOKQ/)
[/UNPAID ADVERTISEMENT]

The preceding advertisement was not paid for in part by Metro-Goldywn-Mayer Home Entertainment and/or Amazon.com. Ryan W. Mead (aka mobo85) is not affiliated with these outside companies.

Crunchy Frog
09-01-2001, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by mobo85
[UNPAID ADVERTISEMENT]
Hey, Princess Bride fans! I just wanted to interrupt this thread so I can inform you that MGM will release The Princess Bride special edition on DVD this Tuesday! Dammit! I hate when they do this. So now I'll have two copies of the same goddamned movie. Greedy humps!

Lionors
09-01-2001, 10:58 PM
<sigh>

Another apology in order and my sincerest hopes that I've not yet convinced everyone I'm a helium-head.

Peregrine: Liabilities: There is but one working castle gate and it's guarded by sixty men. Assets: Fezzik's muscle, Westley's brains and Inigo's steel.

Previous Dread Pirate Roberts: Ryan and Cummerbund.

How long was Westley gone from Buttercup?

Peregrine
09-01-2001, 11:41 PM
sjc: Westley goes "across the sea" to seek his fortune.

Fighting styles: Bonetti's defense, Capo Ferro, Thibault, Agrippa.

Lionors: Westley was gone 5 years.

What is the name of Roberts' ship?

BigGiantHead
09-02-2001, 03:31 AM
What is the name of Roberts' ship?That would be the Revenge.

After listing their assets and liabilities at the gate, what additional items do they come up with, at Westley's suggestion?

And, in Westley's own words, "What are the three terrors of the Fire Swamp?"

Lastly, what member of the cast, part of Humperdinck's court, is actually nobility IRL?

Bill H.
09-02-2001, 03:46 AM
Lastly, what member of the cast, part of Humperdinck's court, is actually nobility IRL?
Christopher Guest is the Fifth Baron Haden-Guest of Saling

Bill H.
09-02-2001, 03:49 AM
* The flame spurt
* The lightning sand
* The R.O.U.S's (Rodents of Unusual Size).

SPOOFE
09-02-2001, 03:55 AM
I don't think anyone answered this one....

Why does Fezzik lose his fight with Westley?
Because he's more accustomed to fighting groups of people, instead of just one person. And no, I haven't read the book.

After listing their assets and liabilities at the gate, what additional items do they come up with, at Westley's suggestion?
The wheelbarrow, and Fezzik's cloak.

Don't recall the exact names, but there was the Fire Spout, the Lightning Sand... and something else. He didn't mention the ROUS's because he didn't think they exist...

Dear Spam, now I wanna go see the movie again. Anyway...

Here's my trivia questions:

1. How many dreams does Buttercup have during the course of the movie that we view directly?

2. What does Vizzini do in order to fool people into thinking that Buttercup had been kidnaped?

3. What did Westley supposedly say when he was only "mostly dead", according to Miracle Max?

Typo Negative
09-02-2001, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by BigGiantHead
Lastly, what member of the cast, part of Humperdinck's court, is actually nobility IRL? Christpher Guest.

carnivorousplant
09-02-2001, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by SPOOFE

3. What did Westley supposedly say when he was only "mostly dead", according to Miracle Max?

Something about a gambling debt.

lawoot
09-02-2001, 11:46 AM
The wheelbarrow, and Fezzik's cloak.

Actually, a Holocaust Cloak.

1. How many dreams does Buttercup have during the course of the movie that we view directly?

Two

[QUOTE]3. What did Westley supposedly say when he was only "mostly dead", according to Miracle Max?

"To Blathe"

idiot box
09-02-2001, 09:52 PM
This is just about my favorite movie ever!
you guys got most of the fun stuff but heres a couple...

ok, what did miracle max say was better than true love?

according to fezzik, his way of fighting is not very...?

and his method of swimming is...?

+++++++

anybody want a peanut?

Lsura
09-02-2001, 10:00 PM
ok, what did miracle max say was better than true love?
An MLT- that's a Mutton, Lettuce and Tomato, where the mutton is nice and lean.

according to fezzik, his way of fighting is not very...?
"My way's not very sportsmanlike."

and his method of swimming is...?
"I only dog paddle."

GIGObuster
09-02-2001, 10:40 PM
Rob Reiner also directed Spinal Tap, what item used in that movie appeared also in the Princess Bride and where?

mobo85
09-02-2001, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by GIGObuster
Rob Reiner also directed Spinal Tap, what item used in that movie appeared also in the Princess Bride and where?

I read this one. It's a hat of some sort, on Fred Savage's character's bed. It was a compromise Rob Reiner and whoever-that-music-guy-was-for-both-movies did: If Rob put the hat in, the other guy would do the music.

JThunder
09-03-2001, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Lionors
The Princess Bride the book, or The Princess Bride the movie? :D Love 'em both.

[OLD JOKE]They made the movie into a book?[/OLD JOKE]

Triskadecamus
09-03-2001, 02:03 AM
You mean the Cliffs of Insanity, and the Pit of Despair and the Fire Swamp aren't real places?

Tris
-----------------------
"I haven't even started! . . . Where was I?" ~ Vizzini ~

RickJay
09-03-2001, 02:17 AM
1. During their epic sword fight, why is Inigo smiling? And later, why does the Man in Black smile, too?

2. What kind of poison kills Vizzini?

3. What kind of sword does Inigo wield?

4. What is Max bitter about?

DonQuixote
09-03-2001, 02:28 AM
Don't recall the exact names, but there was the Fire Spout, the Lightning Sand... and something else. He didn't mention the ROUS's because he didn't think they exist...

He did in fact mention the ROUS's as the third Fire Swamp terror but dismissed them because of his own skepticism.

What kind of poison kills Vezzini?

Iocane powder.

What is Max bitter about?

Not too sure, but I think it was becuase he was fired from his job as the castle's miracle worker.

Dr.Pinky
09-03-2001, 02:39 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RickJay
[B]1. During their epic sword fight, why is Inigo smiling? And later, why does the Man in Black smile, too?

Because you don't know I'm not left handed.

Drastic
09-03-2001, 02:52 AM
He did in fact mention the ROUS's as the third Fire Swamp terror but dismissed them because of his own skepticism.

Having literally just watched the film (my copy of the special edition DVD arrived on Saturday--good stuff), I'm going to have to take exception to the last part of that. Just after they escaped the lightningsand, he looked up to see an ROUS giving him a glower, and very carefully (but naturally and subtly--he's good) kept her from seeing it. Once out of sight of it, he said he didn't believe they existed in order to keep Buttercup calm--and I think that he gets chomped on immediately after uttering it is a sort of comment on the morality of such little white lies.

grimpixie
09-03-2001, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by RickJay

A "special sword" created for the six-fingered man - The Man in Black had "never seen its equal", acording to the movie. The book goes into a great deal more detail.

"The king's stinking son fired me. And thank you so much for bringing up such a painful subject. While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut, and pour lemon juice on it."

My questions (since its a kissing book):

1. How many kisses are there in the movie?
2. How many kisses ("since the invention of the kiss") had been rated "the most passionate, the most pure"?

Gp

Spatial Rift 47
09-03-2001, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by grimpixie
My questions (since its a kissing book):

1. How many kisses are there in the movie?
2. How many kisses ("since the invention of the kiss") had been rated "the most passionate, the most pure"?

Gp

I'm not too sure about the first one. Perhaps 3-5?

There were five such kisses, and the one at end of the movie blew them all out of the water.

msmith537
09-03-2001, 10:17 AM
1. During their epic sword fight, why is Inigo smiling? And later, why does the Man in Black smile, too?
-They are not left handed

2. What kind of poison kills Vizzini?
-Iocane powder (of which Wesley has spent the past several years building an imunity to).

-probably a rapier

-The kings stinking son fired him

sjc
09-03-2001, 04:00 PM
In the book (I know we are discussing the movie but....) Miracle Max says that coughdrops are better than true love.

[slight hijack from the trivia format]
In the duel to the death scene Vizzini actually was very close to the correct answer, but he didn't quite figure it out. When he says "You've beaten my Giant, which means you are very strong. You could have put the poisin in your own glass trusting in your strength to save you," he almost gets the answer. If he had followed through on that thought, he might have figured it out. What would have happened then, I am not sure.
[/end hijack]

tracer
09-03-2001, 08:58 PM
At this juncture, I feel it is my solemn duty to point y'all to the following old MPSIMS thread:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=54123

Lionors
09-03-2001, 10:20 PM
Oh...my....GAWWWDD....

Thank you, Tracer. I think. I'm fairly convinced I laughed myself into a hernia. :D

Peregrine
09-04-2001, 01:23 AM
That was the thread that got me to settle into SDMB in the first place. "There are some very clever people here," I said to myself, "I think I'll stay."

The kisses:

There is one right after Westley fetches the pitcher, and another as he is leaving to seek his fortune. There is one when Westley and Buttercup are reunited just outside the fire swamp. There are several kisses when they are reunited again inside the castle. And then at the end there is the one that "left them all behind." That makes five Westley-Buttercup kissing incidents.

Also, the kid's mom kisses him, but that one probably doesn't count. Did I miss any?

grimpixie
09-04-2001, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Peregrine
That makes five Westley-Buttercup kissing incidents.

Also, the kid's mom kisses him, but that one probably doesn't count. Did I miss any?

Th only other one I can think of is when Buttercup kisses the old king...

King: Strange wedding...
Queen: Yes, a very strange wedding. Come along. [The Queen exits]
[Buttercup kisses King on the cheek]
King: What was that for?
Buttercup: Because you've always been so kind to me, and I won't be seeing you again since I'm killing myself once we reach the honeymoon suite.
King: [happily] Won't that be nice....She kissed me! [He giggles]

Gp

PinkyDVM
09-04-2001, 07:27 AM
I have a real question that is slightly off topic. Does the supposed "original" book The Princess Bride (by "S. Morgenstern") really exist, or was William Goldman pulling our leg? No one I know has ever been able to find it.

grimpixie
09-04-2001, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by PinkyDVM
I have a real question that is slightly off topic. Does the supposed "original" book The Princess Bride (by "S. Morgenstern") really exist, or was William Goldman pulling our leg? No one I know has ever been able to find it.

At LAST - the truth is revealed:
http://www.geocities.com/jsmurfette/debate.html

But wait - NEWSFLASH - S.Morgenstern is a woman:
http://www.voicechasers.org/Actors/S_Morgenstern.html

;)

Fenris
09-04-2001, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by PinkyDVM

He's pulling our legs, but it's more than that: The whole "autobiographical" section in the beginning of the book is also fictional (the bit about the frigid wife and the fat son). In other words the Real William Goldman is writing about a fictional world with a character named William Goldman who shares many points of history with the real William Goldman (they both wrote the screenplay for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, frex), but has some signifigant divergences too (the Real W.G. has two daughters and no sons). In the world of the fictional WG there's an S. Morganstern, etc...

Fenris, who still doesn't like the "autobiographical" section, but loves the rest of the book.

Paul The Younger
09-04-2001, 10:51 AM

2. What does Vizzini do in order to fool people into thinking that Buttercup had been kidnaped?

I don't think we heard the answer to #2:

He leaves a piece of fabric torn from the uniform of a Guilderian soldier on Buttercup's saddle, and sends the horse back to the castle.

Originally posted by GIGObuster

I read this one. It's a hat of some sort, on Fred Savage's character's bed. It was a compromise Rob Reiner and whoever-that-music-guy-was-for-both-movies did: If Rob put the hat in, the other guy would do the music.

This story is on the album jacket (remember those?) for the movie soundtrack. Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits) agreed to do the music for the film if Reiner would put the hat he wore in Spinal Tap into the film. It was a ballcap for a US Navy ship (I forget which one) which had the gold laurel wreaths on the brim. Unfortunately, Reiner had no idea what became of the hat, so he got a matching one and (I believe) it hangs on the wall or on a shelf behind the kid's bed.

Say, does anyone else think those are the sappiest lyrics they've ever heard during the end credits? Sheesh....

Here's my trivia questions....

1. When do the Screaming Eels get the loudest?

2. How did Buttercup discover Humperdinck was lying about sending the letter to Westley?

3. How many years had Inigo searched for the six-fingered man?

Paul

grimpixie
09-04-2001, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Paul The Younger

2. How did Buttercup discover Humperdinck was lying about sending the letter to Westley?

Paul

1. Just before they attack
2. When he said all the ships in his armarda would see them off on their honeymoon - "All but your four fastest?"
3. Twenty years - Tough question, but he tells Miracle Max!!

Hmmmm

My next questions:
a) What is the name of Miracle Max's Wife?
b) What is the function of the chocolate on the Miracle Pill?
c) What is a "hippo-britanic" land mass?? (No, I really want to know...)

Gp

Sunshine
09-04-2001, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by grimpixie
My next questions:
a) What is the name of Miracle Max's Wife?
b) What is the function of the chocolate on the Miracle Pill?
c) What is a "hippo-britanic" land mass?? (No, I really want to know...)

Gp [/B]

a) Valerie "Get back witch!" "I'm not a witch! I'm your wife!"
b) "It makes it go down easier"
c) I always thought he said "hippo-potamic", meaning hippopotamus-like (very large)

Here's mine:

What is Count Rugen's purpose with The Machine?

Atreyu
09-04-2001, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Sunshine
What is Count Rugen's purpose with The Machine?

"Nobody withstands the Machine."

The purpose of the Machine is to "suck life" out of the poor sap that is connected to it. Count Rugen uses it to torture Wesley in order to gain information about its effects on humans.

Rugen: "This is for posterity, so please, be honest. How do you feel?"

Wesley: [weeping]

Rugen: "Interesting."

My trivia question:

How many times does the phrase "As you wish" occur in the movie?

Mahaloth
09-04-2001, 05:24 PM
1. How does Humperdink know what kind of poison Westley used? Why is this ironic?

2. What's the first thing to go when you fight "to the pain"? What do you keep and why?

3. What were the previous Dread Pirate Roberts' names? Obviously, the first was Robert.

tracer
09-04-2001, 05:45 PM
grimpixie wrote:

But wait - NEWSFLASH - S.Morgenstern is a woman:
http://www.voicechasers.org/Actors/S_Morgenstern.html
No wonder Princess Bride was one of those "kissing" books!

Darwin's Finch
09-04-2001, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Mahaloth
1. How does Humperdink know what kind of poison Westley used? Why is this ironic?

He sniffs it, then says, "Iocaine powder. I'd bet my life on it!"

Ironic, perhaps, because Westley described it as "tasteless, odorless, and one of the more deadly poisons known to man."

3. What were the previous Dread Pirate Roberts' names? Obviously, the first was Robert.

This one was already answered by Lionors back on page 1 :)

Lionors
09-04-2001, 07:31 PM
What's the first thing to go when you fight "to the pain"? What do you keep and why?

I believe the first thing to go is your feet, at the ankle (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm positive that what is kept are the ears so that Humperdinck can hear every exclamation of "Dear God, what is that THING!" when people see him.

And gooooood question on the powder, Mahaloth! (and good catch on the answer, Darwin's Finch!)

grimpixie
09-05-2001, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Atreyu
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sunshine

"Nobody withstands the Machine."

[Cardinal Fang]
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!!!"
[/Cardinal Fang]

Ooops, Wrong Thread :o

My trivia question:
How many times does the phrase "As you wish" occur in the movie?

Four times by Wesley and twice by the Grandfather...

Gp

ACappellaCat
09-05-2001, 03:15 PM
1. How many of the actors (in primary roles) are no longer living?
2. What is the word that Vizzini keeps using that "does not mean what you think it means"?
3. How do you know that one of the fire spurts is about to erupt?
4. How does Inigo convince the Man in Black to allow him to help him up the Cliffs of Insanity? Also, what is the first question Inigo asks the MiB once he's atop the CoI?
5. A comparison between the book and the movie: What are the shrieking eels in the book?
6. Why does Westley assert that Buttercup didn't marry Humperdinck?

DaveX
09-05-2001, 03:57 PM
Personally I didn't see any irony in Humperdinck sniffing the powder and then declaring it Iocaine... I always assumed that the lack of a scent in the vial and a dead body lying there were what clued him into the powders origin.

Sunshine
09-05-2001, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by ACappellaCat
2. What is the word that Vizzini keeps using that "does not mean what you think it means"?
Incon-TH-eivable!

3. How do you know that one of the fire spurts is about to erupt?
There's a popping noise just before.

4. How does Inigo convince the Man in Black to allow him to help him up the Cliffs of Insanity?
Let's see...first he gives his word as a Spainard, which is no good because Westley has known too many Spainards. Then he swears on the soul of his father, "dead these 16 years"

6. Why does Westley assert that Buttercup didn't marry Humperdinck?
"You didn't say it, you didn't do it."

Oh, and for my earlier question about the Count's purpose with The Machine is that he was writing a book. That's why he tells Westley to be honest, because it's for "posterity."

Atreyu
09-05-2001, 04:45 PM
The second half of ACappellaCat's question #4:

Also, what is the first question Inigo asks the MiB once he's atop the CoI?

Inigo: "I don't mean to pry, but you wouldn't happen to have six fingers on your right hand?"

Westley: "Do you always begin your conversations this way?"

And for his first question:

1. How many of the actors (in primary roles) are no longer living?

Well, I know for sure that Andre the Giant died in 1993.

Peter Cook, who played "The Impressive Clergyman" died in 1995.

Willoughby Gray, the chap who played the King, died in 1993.

The actress who played the Queen is also dead, but I'm not sure if you would count her role as one of the primary ones.

So, three if you don't count the Queen, four if you do.

Source for the dates: Cast List for "The Princess Bride" on the IMDb (http://us.imdb.com/Credits?0093779)

SandWriter
09-06-2001, 11:52 AM
from a previous post...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ironic, perhaps, because Westley described it as "tasteless, odorless, and one of the more deadly poisons known to man."

...Excuse me, but how is that ironic? Irony, to me, would be that Wesley did, in fact, bet his life on it.

Here's my questions,

1. What does Count Rugen think everything is?
2. What is the video game that the kid is playing in the beginning?
3. What are the things that Vicinni is referring to on the ship when he tells the crew to, "Move the thing, And the other thing, Move it!"
4. Bonus Question, What is the psychological Phenomena that makes you forget the names of things when you get excited?

Here's a non trivia question, was the Albino one of the Abbot and Costello people? His cough sounds like the cough of Abbot. I tried watching the credits, but didn't catch it.

p.s. This is one of my favorite movies, I love it. Anyone what a peanut? Are there flaming replies ahead? If there are, I'm filled with dread.

Atreyu
09-06-2001, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by SandWriter
1. What does Count Rugen think everything is?

A trap. "Which is why I'm still alive."

2. What is the video game that the kid is playing in the beginning?

I know it's a baseball video game, but darned if I can remember the specific title.

My 500th post. Nobody cares but me.

DAVEW0071
09-06-2001, 04:10 PM
Another interesting thing about the kiss "that leaves them all behind" is that, in the movie, it's the final kiss. But in the book, IIRC, it's the kiss they share when Westley leaves to seek his fortune (or else when they're reunited, but I think the former).

Of course, the movie ending is upbeat, as it should be, but even though the book's ending wouldn't suit a movie at all, I love it! More peril and adventure! What will happen next? Stay tuned!

Darwin's Finch
09-06-2001, 04:17 PM

...Excuse me, but how is that ironic? Irony, to me, would be that Wesley did, in fact, bet his life on it.

Hey, I was only answering the question as it was asked! I never said it was ironic! Of course, Westley didn't bet his life on it, either, since he spent a couple years building up an immunity to it....

DaveX
09-06-2001, 04:29 PM
The video game in question would be the oringinal Atari 800 version of Hardball. When I was 14, I played a whole season, 162 games, as the blue team... and kept stats for all my players.

Yeah, I was a geek.

kaylasdad99
09-07-2001, 02:08 AM
grimpixie wrote:
Originally posted by Paul The Younger

Paul
---------------------------------------------

1. Just before they attack
2. When he said all the ships in his armarda would see them off on their honeymoon - "All but your four fastest?"
3. Twenty years - Tough question, but he tells Miracle Max!! [quote]

and then, later, Sunshine, answering ACapellaCat's challenge posted: [quote]quote:
-------------------------------------------------------
4. How does Inigo convince the Man in Black to allow him to help him up the Cliffs of Insanity?
------------------------------------------------------

Let's see...first he gives his word as a Spainard, which is no good because Westley has known too many Spainards. Then he swears on the soul of his father, "dead these 16 years"

Did anyone else notice that Inigo started searching for the six-fingered man four years before the guy gave him any reason to want revenge?

mobo85
09-07-2001, 06:09 AM
I got my DVD today. Good film. I can probably think of some wonderful questions about the film, but all I can think of now is this:

Two songs from outside sources are credited at the end of the film. One is Willy DeVille's Storybook Love. What's the other, and where does it appear?

And here's an answer to a question I don't think has been answered yet: in the book, the screaming eels are sharks. They changed it for budget reasons.

Sunshine
09-07-2001, 10:45 AM
I concede. For some reason I thought it was 16 years, but in my head I can hear Inigo say, "dead these twenty years" or possibly, "dead these many years" so I think I might be making up the 16.

Somebody who doesn't have to work today go watch the DVD and tell us what he says there at the top of the cliffs!

Peregrine
09-07-2001, 11:21 AM
At the top of the Cliffs of Insanity, "I swear on the soul of my father, Domingo Montoya, you will reach the top alive."
To Miracle Max, "I need him to help avenge my father, murdered these twenty years."

The other song credited is "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," which is heard in the kid's video game.

Fezzik makes five rhymes as a diversion on the way to the Cliffs of Insanity. What are they?

mobo85
09-07-2001, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Peregrine
Fezzik makes five rhymes as a diversion on the way to the Cliffs of Insanity. What are they?

Inigo:"That Vizzini, he can fuss."
Fezzik:"Fuss...fuss...I think he likes to scream at us."
Inigo:"Probably he means no haaaaarm."
Fezzik:"He's really very short on chaaaarm."
Inigo:"You have a great gift for rhyme."
Fezzik:"Yes, most of the time."
Inigo:"Fezzik, are there rocks ahead?"
Fezzik:"If there are, we'll all be dead."
Vizzini:"Stop those rhymes, I mean it!"
Fezzik:"Anybody want a peanut?"
(Vizzini screams)
typed from memory

And I can confirm, after just having watched the scene on my DVD, that Inigo tells the man in black that his father has been dead for twenty years, just like he tells Miracle Max.

Here's a good question: In what other film does Inigo's sword appear?

That's all for now. Have fun storming the castle, and remember that true love is the greatest thing in the world, except for cough drops, or maybe a nice MLT-mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich-when the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky. I love that.

Darwin's Finch
09-07-2001, 06:00 PM
Here's a good question: In what other film does Inigo's sword appear?

Well, according to Ye Olde IMDb, The Crow. I'm going to have to watch The Crow now (well, not right now...), just to be sure.

grimpixie
09-14-2001, 04:07 AM
Here's a non trivia question, was the Albino one of the Abbot and Costello people? His cough sounds like the cough of Abbot. I tried watching the credits, but didn't catch it.

The Albino is played by Mel Smith who was one of the cast members of Not the Nine o'Clock News (most famous for launching the career of Rowan Atkinson) and half of the comedy duo Alas Smith and Jones.

For more information (http://www.geocities.com/jsmurfette/albino.html)

Gp

Atreyu
09-14-2001, 01:27 PM
I watched the Special Edition of the DVD last night. So sue me, I needed the distraction. It was the first time I laughed all week.

And I found another trivia question.

What is Count Rugen's first name? As far as I can tell, it is uttered only once in the entire movie, and the ending credits do not reveal it. The IMDb Cast List (http://us.imdb.com/Credits?0093779) don't show it either.

mobo85
09-14-2001, 04:23 PM
I was thinking about using that question...Count Rugen's first name is Tyrone, I think.

sjc
09-14-2001, 04:36 PM
I watched the Special Edition of the DVD last night. So sue me, I needed the distraction. It was the first time I laughed all week.

What is Count Rugen's first name? As far as I can tell, it is uttered only once in the entire movie, and the ending credits do not reveal it. The IMDb Cast List (http://us.imdb.com/Credits?0093779) don't show it either.

Tyrone. As Humperdinck says when begging off visiting the Pit of Dispair.

Originally posted by SandWriter:

1. What does Count Rugen think everything is?originally posted by Atreyu:

This is what Humperdinck says everything is. Count Rugen, I believe, think life is pain. Westley says this at the top of the ravine, but I believe this is also what Rugen thinks life is.

sjc
09-14-2001, 04:44 PM
Darn, darn, DARN! You beat me to it! I should have typed faster. Oh well, Tyrone wasn't too hard to come up with anyway.

SandWriter
09-17-2001, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by sjc

Tyrone. As Humperdinck says when begging off visiting the Pit of Dispair.

Originally posted by SandWriter:

1. What does Count Rugen think everything is?originally posted by Atreyu:

This is what Humperdinck says everything is. Count Rugen, I believe, think life is pain. Westley says this at the top of the ravine, but I believe this is also what Rugen thinks life is.

Humperdinck, "You think everything is a trap, which is why I'm still alive." The 'You' is Count Rugen. So technically 'a trap' is what Humperdinck thinks Rugen thinks everything is, but that is the answer I was looking for.

p.s. Wesley believes life is pain. (to the princess)"Life is pain, anyone who tells you anything else is selling you something." Rugen is studying pain.

sjc
09-17-2001, 04:11 PM
Humperdinck, "You think everything is a trap, which is why I'm still alive." The 'You' is Count Rugen. So technically 'a trap' is what Humperdinck thinks Rugen thinks everything is, but that is the answer I was looking for.
[/B]

I believe you have misquoted Humperdinck. Rugen says: "What if it is a trap?" and Humperdinck replies, I think everything is a trap, which is why I am still alive." It is out of character for Humperdinck to say "you think everything is a trap". I'll have to check the movie and read the book to be sure.

Chronos
09-18-2001, 12:13 AM
OK, you've made me drag out my copy of the screenplay. mobo85, you missed one of the rhymes. At the foot of the Cliffs:
<Inigo> Everyone's steady.
<Fezzik> Well I'm certainly ready.
(scene 44)

For the "everything's a trap" line:
<Humperdink> ...We may need all our warriors to escape whatever trap is ahead.
<Rugen> You think this is a trap?
<Humperdink> I always think everything is a trap. Which is why I'm still alive...
(scene 128)

And if nobody mentioned it before, the fencing styles mentioned are "Bonetti's Attack", "Capo Ferro", "Thibault", and "Agrippa" (scene 80), plus (after Inigo switches hands) "Morozzo" (scene 83), "Fabris" (84), and "Alfieri" (85)

Now, admittedly, this is all from the screenplay, not the movie itself, and I've noticed several minor details changed between the 'play and the movie... But I have nor TV nor VCR, so this'll have to do.

Oicu812
09-18-2001, 04:03 PM
It is most definitely a rapier, Spanish style with swept quillions. Most likely a "Toledo Salamanca" or copy thereof.

O
---------------------------
So Perky - I just LOVE that.

SandWriter
09-24-2001, 02:37 PM
Oh the SHAME! The Agony. I WAS WRONG! (save this post as a historical event!)

I watched the DVD movie this weekend, and was dumbfounded to find out that Humperdink does in fact say...

"I think everything is a trap, which is why I'm still alive."

So before, when I thought he said to Count Rugen, "You think everything is a trap, which is why I'm still alive," I stated the answer to the question, "What does Count Rugen think everything is?,(WDCRTEI)" as "a trap" was wrong. Count Rugen is consumed with the study of pain, 20 years to build the machine, and 20 years to study it's effects.

So it really changed the movie for me and made me hate Humperdink even more. Before, when I thought he said "...you...", I thought he was paying a compliment to his close friend and trusted companion. In reality he said "...I..." which only furthers his self-centered megalomania. So instead of being a bad guy that has close friends whom he trusts, he doesn't trust anybody.

In my defense, he does mumble when he says that line and if you don't listen closely it does sound like he said '...you...'. Also, I wasn't the only one who thought he said you.

So the technically correct answer to the question, WDCRTEI, is 'pain,' while also acceptable, though wrong, is 'a trap.'

Sorry for the confusion, please don't flame me to much, I already feel bad, stupid, and ignorant.