PDA

View Full Version : Watching DVD's on my TV, from my computer- possible?

Tomcat
10-26-2001, 06:34 AM
Howdy-

I'm getting a computer from work to take home which has a DVD drive on it. I was wondering if I could hook it up to my TV somehow and watch DVD movie at home. I know I need to buy WinDVD to watch them, but can I buy hardware to hook it up to my TV?

Amazing Tiki God
10-26-2001, 06:46 AM
Yeah you can you just need to buy a good video card with a video out capabilities.

geepee
10-26-2001, 08:33 AM
yes the way above and Tiny computers made this wireless device that transmitts DVD to your TV thru a special adaptor thingie

slortar
10-26-2001, 08:37 AM
Or you could get a decent dvd decoder card--those usually have tv-out capability if you don't want to replace your video card to be able to watch dvd on your television.

grettle
10-26-2001, 09:10 AM
you can absolutely hook your DVD drive to your TV. it will take long wires and clever ways to hide them. . . but well worth it in my opinion.

handy
10-26-2001, 10:08 AM
MIght be easier to just buy a dvd player for $99.

Otherwise you need a tv out video card. That means more work for you & I don't know what computer you have so, I can't suggest anything else.

hibernicus
10-26-2001, 10:13 AM
I agree with Handy.

Using your PC to watch DVDs has important disadvantages, most notably the lack of a remote control, the extra wiring and the time taken to start up the PC when you want to watch a film. Buying a DVD player is the better option, in my opinion.

Sofa King
10-26-2001, 12:52 PM
The card you probably want today is the ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1302). It's a neat little card, festooned with connections in back. If I recall rightly, it's even got an S-VHS cable connection, which sends a sweeeet signal to modern televisions which are so equipped.

The card you probably want Real Soon Now (TM) will be the Radeon 8500 All-In-Wonder, which may or may not be available before Christmas.

The pros of the Radeon AIWs are near-universal connectivity and very high performance, the existing AIW compares favorably to an nVidia GeForce 2.

The con--and it's a big, big con--is that ATI rivals Matrox in its shitty device drivers. There are few things more enraging than owning a perfectly good card which is seriously limited due to poor drivers on the part of the manufacturer, and the new Radeon 8500s have that in spades right now. If you are going to wait for an 8500 AIW, check reviews carefully to make sure that all of the device's advertised functionality is fully enabled.

The All-In-Wonder that is available now is (finally) pretty much okay, though.

shelbo
10-26-2001, 12:58 PM
If your computer is new(ish) and comes with a DVD ROM drive, it may already have WinDVD and a video card. My new laptop from work has an S-Video out right there on the side, so all I would need is an S-Vid cable to hook into the TV, and an audio cable to hook into the sound system.

DougC
10-26-2001, 03:59 PM
- - - I have an ATI Rage Pro Fury (32meg) card I paid $100 for, and that wasn't the lowest price available. That's about a middling-quality card; you don't have to spend $350 to send your monitor output to a TV. It's AGP; I dunno if there's a PCI available or not. This card sends monitor-out and can capture video in, but I haven't used either feature yet.... It has been out about 18 months, so the drivers might be fairly good by now, although there's a special one you need (with DirectX 8a) if you have a ALiMaGiK 1 chipset board.
- Also, you can get IR remote-controls for your PC: I saw one on a store shelf once for $40. It came with its own video-audio software, or (-it said on the box-) that you could set it to use other software. It came with a "base unit" that hooked up somehow; your computer didn't have to have an IR port already. I thought it was a fairly good idea, but at the present time had no need for it myself. - MC

Balduran
10-26-2001, 04:16 PM
like shelbo said with laptops. It is very easy, just plug the audio and video out from the laptop into the tv and hit the appropiate keys to change your display from the monitor to the tv. But the laptop I tried it with gave fairly poor quality output to the tv, probably needed a better video card.

Larry Mudd
10-26-2001, 04:40 PM
I have an older ATI All-in-Wonder and it works beautifully. Since the disadvantages of using playing DVD's on your computer have been pointed out, bear in mind that there are other advantages that a stand-alone DVD player won't give you: You can't download movies off newsgroups with a DVD player.
(I only download stuff that's in the public domain, of course...) ;)
Non-DVD format video. (My friends are grateful for VHS copies of my DivX files of the latest season of South Park which hasn't been aired in Canada yet.)
Games. I dunno, some people like it.
Allows you to capture video to your computer.
Run your stereo through cheesy visualization software (http://www.afn.org/~cthugha/), which is fun if your gonna hang out with jarjbabyj (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=94958). :cool:
Smug feeling of gadget superiority.

plexitox
10-26-2001, 08:50 PM
dont thing the MPAA doesnt have something to say about this. beware, there are safeguards built into dvd hardware to prevent this type of fair use... do some research on "macrovision" and you'll see what i mean.

[oh, and then do a search for "defeat macrovision" "macrovision workarounds" etc and you'll see that there are some pretty tricky ways around it]

Tomcat
10-27-2001, 06:39 AM
Thanks! I'll go look.

The problem with buying a DVD is that over here (Central Europe), they don't cost $99. More like $300 for a cheapy.

Take care-
-Tomcat