PDA

View Full Version : Cassette tape + G4 + CDR drive = CD?

Fiver
10-26-2001, 03:32 PM
How do I make this work? I have some old radio talk shows I want to convert to CD, and I don't know where to begin. Is there a simple way to do this in less than realtime?

Padeye
10-26-2001, 03:51 PM
No way you can do it in faster than real time without a cassette player that plays faster than normal. The only ones I'm aware of are the Tascam multi track decks and they have a different track format than standard cassettes anyway. Even if you have a faster deck I'm not sure your software could take that into account and precise speed matching could cause problems.

I use Real Jukebox so I'd record the cassette to MP3 or RM files as a first step using my sound card's line inputs then later burn CDs as a separate step.

friedo
10-26-2001, 04:10 PM
Your G4 has a minijack sound-input jack which you can hook up to your cassette player's "Line out." If your cassette player has RCA plugs, get an RCA -> minijack converter from Radio Shack.

Then you'll need to get some audio recording software. I'm pretty sure there's some cheap shareware around that'll do the recordings and save them in CD audio format.

Then copy the CD audio files to your CD and burn.

Chas.E
10-27-2001, 03:09 AM
I took a bunch of my old vinyl albums and converted them to CDs on my Mac setup, it was a lot of fun. But definitely you can't do this at faster than real time.
I recommend you look at Peak LE, I think it's freeware, but I got it with some other app (I forget which). You can do your basic audio capture and editing, plus a few effects (like noise filtering, volume optimization). Then just save em as AIFF files, and burn your CD full of AIFFs with Toast or whatever.

Fiver
10-27-2001, 12:02 PM
And then a CD with AIFF files will play on a CD player just like any audio CD?

My G4 came with iMovie and iTunes, and OS 9.1 and X. Is it native with all the software I'll need for this operation?

Bad Hat
10-27-2001, 02:23 PM
A CD with AIFF or Wave files will not play on a consumer CD player, although supposedly some MP3 players are starting to ad this feature. But most CD burning programs give you the option of whether you want to burn an AUDIO or a DATA CD. Audio CDs are written according to AES Orange or Red Book coding standards, and are readable by most consumer players and any computer with a CD player app. Data CDs, OTOH, are esentially formatted like Read Only Disk Volumes readable by OS's as files, including AIFF, .wav, .au, MP3, Real, etc... I speak with less authority about the DATA half of that story, but the Audio part is true.
Bad Hat