PDA

View Full Version : Computer design software for woodworking projects

Carnac the Magnificent!
10-28-2001, 03:34 PM
I want to design a custom entertainment unit with matching bookcase, but don't have any drafting skills. (I also am an advanced beginner woodworker.) What I'm looking for is IBM-compatible software that will: (a) help me design the unit, (b) provide a detailed list of what lumber I need; and (c) provide measurements of each piece. In other words, I want to be able to provide the ideas and general specs and let the software tell me what I need and how big each piece is.

Does such a beast exist or do I have to do all this on paper?

Carnac the Magnificent!
10-28-2001, 03:45 PM
Let me add that I fully realize I need to provide the general measurements. My concern is how each piece impacts the one next to it, and so on.

For instance, let's say I want the entertainment center to be a certain size. What I am uncertain of are the dimensions of some of the interior supporting members. Doing all of this in my head--with so little woodworking experience on large projects--seems rather intimidating.

Sorry if the question sounds dumb.

DougC
10-28-2001, 04:08 PM
- - - Try this:
http://www.woodbin.com/docs/reviews/deltacad.htm
~
- I bought version 3 for $10 at Wal-Mart, and upgraded to 3.1. It is easy to use because it only does 2-D stuff: you still have to understand how the pieces will fit together. It is easy to use though; you rarely need the instructions.
- You also may find 3-D drafting programs too, but don't waste your money on them. The cheapie 3-D programs you see for ten or fifteen dollars have no printed documentation, poor written documentation and are fairly difficult to learn to do even simple shapes on. - MC