PDA

View Full Version : 8 hz

xello
10-29-2001, 09:18 AM
Does anyone know of any signifigance to 8 hz?

Duck Duck Goose
10-29-2001, 09:37 AM
Yes, it's a company in Germany.

German version.
http://www.8hertz.de/

English version.
http://www.8hertz.de/english/home.html
8hertz develops Voice Solutions to improve corporate and customer communications using standard, robust speech recognition, telephony and internet technologies.

Mangetout
10-29-2001, 09:39 AM
Erm, in the context of...?

(My guess being the 'resonant frequancy of the human brain', which I think is BS)

xello
10-29-2001, 09:53 AM
Man
why do you think it's bullshit about it being the resonant frequency of the brain?

Mangetout
10-29-2001, 10:00 AM
Why should the brain have a resonant frequency at all?

xello
10-29-2001, 10:05 AM
it's been my understanding that everything has a resonant frequency. hey, i've been wrong once or twice!

NotMrKnowItAll
10-29-2001, 10:08 AM
Your thinking of the example in Turbo C from the mid 80's where a story was told about a manufacturing plant build near a chicken farm. The plant put out a 7 Hz signal that purportedly caused the chickens to die. The cause given was that the brain case of the chicken's heads resonated at 7 Hz.

Mangetout
10-29-2001, 10:08 AM
(BTW I don't know it's BS, it's just that when I do a Google on 'resonant frequency brain 8 hertz', I get almost nothing but websites about crystal healing, alien visitation, Biorythms, Ley Lines, Moon landing hoaxes, Chemtrails and Feng Shui)

Mangetout
10-29-2001, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by xello
it's been my understanding that everything has a resonant frequency. hey, i've been wrong once or twice!
I'm betting that Marhmallows and cheese don't have a resonant frequency.

xello
10-29-2001, 10:11 AM
ahh, also that bridge in Washington that went all wacky and buckled like an insane worm until it collapsed because high winds were somehow matching itls resonant frequency essentially causing it to disintegrate and come aprt.

Ike Witt
10-29-2001, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Mangetout
(BTW I don't know it's BS, it's just that when I do a Google on 'resonant frequency brain 8 hertz', I get almost nothing but websites about crystal healing, alien visitation, Biorythms, Ley Lines, Moon landing hoaxes, Chemtrails and Feng Shui)

Hey, if 8Hz is lumped with these "misunderstood" things, than there must be something to it.

xello
10-29-2001, 10:14 AM
Mangetout
re:the new age hits from google. i see your point but i vaguely reacll some scientific mumbo jumbo about resonant frequencies as well.

however cheese matches the resonant frequency of constipation

xello
10-29-2001, 10:16 AM
adam yax are you familiar with sacred geometry?

Mirage
10-29-2001, 10:23 AM
A resonant frequency is a frequency who's wavelength is positive multiple of the resonating device. To resonate you must have a device which resonates. Many instruments from strings to woodwinds resonate which produces many of their beautiful tones. Rooms resonate, which is why you're supposed to put your speakers in a configuration which would dampen this, like 1/3 or 2/3's into the room rather than in the corners.

Our brains are far more complex than a empty beer bottle (which also resonates), their frequencys are generalizations of complex electrical patterns occuring within. They run on many frequencys such as the alert Alpha and the sleepy Delta. Maybe 8Hz has some particular signifigance when it comes to something (like relaxation or mnemonic skills), but attaching 'resonant frequency' to it kinda sounds like at 4:30 in the morning when Comedy Central starts playing informercials for ionized metal bracelets.

Ike Witt
10-29-2001, 11:32 AM
adam yax are you familiar with sacred geometry?

No, I sure am not familiar with sacred geometry. Please enlighten me.

Mangetout
10-29-2001, 03:20 PM
I think I saw something about Sacred Geometry in one of those websites that Google trawled up; is it anthing to do with ppositioning of the Giza pyramids, Stonehenge and the Golden Ratio?

Duck Duck Goose
10-29-2001, 03:52 PM
Xello, you'd probably pique our interest a little more if you'd tell us what the context is, or why you wanna know. :confused:

General Questions is for questions that have a factual, "yes" or "no" answer, or a "please enlighten me about something" answer. But just "hey, what does 8 hz mean?" well, outside of the fact that it stands for 8 hertz...

But if you're just throwing miscellaneous thoughts out there to see if anyone responds, we already have a forum for that--MPSIMS.

If you just wanna shoot the breeze about sacred geometry, or brain resonance, or stuff like that, we have MPSIMS, or IMHO, or even Great Debates.

And, FTR, I put just plain "8 hz", as featured in the OP, into Google and didn't get any New Age hits at all, just the aforementioned German company and a paper on CALIBRATION OF THE MELT EXPERIMENT OCEAN BOTTOM SEISMOMETERS (http://www-mpl.ucsd.edu/obs/reports/tn061/comparison/comparisons.html).

So what's your question, anyway? :confused:

manhattan
10-29-2001, 05:34 PM
xello, what, precisely, is your General Question here?

Trucido
10-29-2001, 06:06 PM
Eight inverse seconds, eight cycles per second, also eight hertz, is a unit of frequency. Named in honor of Heinrich Rudolf Hertz, German physicist and contemporary of James Clerk Maxwell. Applicable to any event which occurs eight times per second, including but not limited to manufacturing processes, peaks or troughs of electromagnetic waves, and Manhattan's rapidly worsening facial tic.

don't ask
10-29-2001, 06:16 PM
8 Hertz is the resonant frequency of the earth, as calculated by Tesla.

don't ask
10-29-2001, 06:21 PM
This fell off (http://www.pbs.org/tesla/ll/ll_colspr.html) my post.

DarrenS
10-29-2001, 08:47 PM
Does anyone know of any signifigance to 8 hz?

Maybe it's the answer to this (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=91539).

heresiarch
10-29-2001, 09:30 PM
Are we talking about the resonant frequency of the brain or the skull? Brains are soft and squishy, they might have a resonant freq, but they won't shatter. And being encased in the skull, I don't think anything would happen even if they were vibrated at 8 Hz.
But then, I'm also skeptical about the skull being susceptible to a resonant freq.

Maybe the OP is asking about brainwaves. The brain generates electrical energy and different states have different frequencies. 8 Hz. is in the alpha range, which is an alert, waking state. Some people think that the people can conscuiously affect the frequency of their brains, and therefore the state of their consciousness, through biofeedback. One of the first sites that Google offered: http://www.alphalearning.com/brainwavel.htm

My personal opinion is that these frequencies are a valid part of neurology research, but also the focus of much new age nonsense.

Princhester
10-30-2001, 02:22 AM
Paying three fifty for a standard beer would be good. They average about four fifty though. An imported beer tends to be five or five fifty. But this one place my wife likes to go is outrageous. Shall I just say: eight hurts.

Mangetout
10-30-2001, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by don't ask
8 Hertz is the resonant frequency of the earth, as calculated by Tesla.
I think that might be a load of old cobblers; according to this (http://www.gns.cri.nz/earthact/earthquakes/faq.html#19) earthquake FAQ, the earth 'rings like a bell' after large earthquakes, but at a frequency measured in cycles per hour!

hibernicus
10-30-2001, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Mirage
you're supposed to put your speakers in a configuration which would dampen this, like 1/3 or 2/3's into the room rather than in the corners.

I was going to point out that you meant "damp" rather than "dampen", but a dictionary check reveals that Merriam Webster has given up on this distinction, so I won't.

Instead I'll mention an episode of the "Twilight Zone" (you know, that twilighty show about that zone) (or just possibly it was "Tales from the Dark Side") where a man killed his wife and young lover by locking them in a soundproof room and bombarding them with sound at 7 Hz. They ran around clutching their heads in apparent distress and then died. The evil murderer/cuckold guy uttered the immortal line "7 hertz really hurts. Bwa hah hah hah ha haaa..."

xello
10-30-2001, 07:02 AM
7 hz really hurts...genius

Duck Duck Goose
10-30-2001, 09:58 AM
So, your answer to my question, "What do you mean by the question '8 hertz'?" is:

"7 hertz"?

right.

Ike Witt
10-30-2001, 10:03 AM
It appears that I will now have to live the rest of my life in the pits of ignorance with regards to sacred geometry.

AndyJ
10-30-2001, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by adam yax
It appears that I will now have to live the rest of my life in the pits of ignorance with regards to sacred geometry.

Adam read this http://www.intent.com/sg/

manhattan
10-30-2001, 05:45 PM
7 hz really hurts...genius Um, yeah.