PDA

View Full Version : Anne Geddes: you are one FUCKED UP woman

moodtobestewed
11-02-2001, 10:36 AM
Who the hell do you think you are? Do you not realize those babies are human beings, not just props for your brand of sentimental shlock™?

Let me explain this to you.

Putting a baby in a bee suit isn't "cute" — it's exploitation you kitschy bitch.

Making a baby look like a sunflower isn't "precious" — it's victimization you insipid shit-peddler.

Dressing up a baby in a lady bug costume isn't "adorable" --- it's a crime against humanity for which the only just punishment would be for you to have to spend the rest of your miserable excuse for a life dressed in a PUMPKIN OUTFIT like the one you forced on those innocent children.

And yet, not only are the children exploited, but so are the parents under your evil scheme. Lord knows only a crack-addled mother would permit her child to be subjugated to such a thing. What do you give them Anne - $50? $100?? - in exchange for their child's dignity, nay, their very soul!?!

You are the very embodiment of the phrase "the banality of evil."

Mark my words, Anne Geddes, one day those babies will be adults - yes, knife-wielding, gun-toting pissed off adults - and you will have a terrible price to pay for deeds. Only your scalp will erase their shame - remember that you vapid wench!

BWA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!

Abe Babe
11-02-2001, 10:44 AM
Abe Babe tries to keep a steady face while frantically and repeatedly pressing the "Alarm" button hidden underneath his desk.

BoBettie
11-02-2001, 10:45 AM
Wow.

You know, they make decaf coffee now. Perhaps you should check on that option.

Zette

ultress
11-02-2001, 10:45 AM
So what to ya say to all those parents that dressed their kids up for Halloween in about the same kind of costumes? They were probably in those costumes longer than the kids were that Anne photographs. I take it you don't have kids.

tiny ham
11-02-2001, 10:46 AM
when I finally have a baby, I think I ONLY dress it in bee suits

God they're cute.

beagledave
11-02-2001, 10:56 AM
Sick bastards... dressing (http://home.revealed.net/ddwyer/maeve-packers.jpg) up babies for their own amusement.

ultress
11-02-2001, 10:59 AM
Hey, jar, don't commit yourself yet. My grandson is only 4 months old and he had on the absolute cutest bat suit for halloween you've ever seen. Course now I guess I should check my son's home for crack, guns, and other drugs.

mouthbreather
11-02-2001, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by beagledave
Sick bastards... dressing (http://home.revealed.net/ddwyer/maeve-packers.jpg) up babies for their own amusement.

Well, Bumblebees and Eggs and Rabbits are just fine.

But holy christ, a PACKERS Fan?!? Now that is cruel, and really uncalled for. ;)

(jusy yankin yer chain. Cute kid!)

tiny ham
11-02-2001, 11:06 AM
oh beagle. what a sad road you've started your child down.

poor little maeve.

jar

beagledave
11-02-2001, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by jarbabyj
oh beagle. what a sad road you've started your child down.

poor little maeve.

jar

mrs beagledave is from Oak Park...her siblings all live in the Chicago area..we get these insults on a regular basis :p

Demo
11-02-2001, 11:18 AM
I'm with ya, mood!

Every time I see those pictures I want to PUKE!

Who cares about the babies! Put em in a vat of boiling oil with their cutsie little flower costumes on, for all I care. I just don't want to be subjected to those god-awful pictures anymore!

cloy (kloi)
v. cloyed, cloy·ing, cloys (See: Anne Geddes)
v. tr.
To cause distaste or disgust by supplying with too much of something originally pleasant, especially something rich or sweet; surfeit.

beagledave
11-02-2001, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Demo
I'm with ya, mood!

Every time I see those pictures I want to PUKE!

Who cares about the babies! Put em in a vat of boiling oil with their cutsie little flower costumes on, for all I care. I just don't want to be subjected to those god-awful pictures anymore!

Then how do you feel about this (http://www.octanecreative.com/Parodyville/arnegottus/)?

Tranquilis
11-02-2001, 11:43 AM
Heh!

Demo
11-02-2001, 11:51 AM
beagledave, ugggh!

;)

I must say I like the one of the head being burried though.
:D

GingerOfTheNorth
11-02-2001, 12:04 PM
I think it's cute, some of it, but my GOD woman, isn't part of being an artist Growth? Change? Hmm?
How long are you going to continue? Can anyone say One-trick Pony? (Not you, Spreeeee)

ihaveanannegeddesphotoupinmybathroommuchtomyshame
onlybecauseitstheonlyoneicouldfindthatmatchedmycolourscheme

Kricket
11-02-2001, 12:13 PM
Goodness Dave she is growing so fast, and I haven't even had the chance to come over and spoil her rotten yet!
You need to get me a picture of her with stuffed animal that I got for her for christmas last year.

As for those Anne Geddes pictures some of them I like, and some of them are just disturbing. I guess it depends on the mood of the day.

Tranquilis
11-02-2001, 12:18 PM
I guess the thing I find offensive about Anne G. Is that she's hailed as being this really creative photog, but she ran out of original ideas right after she took her first baby-in-costume pic. Everything since has been variations on a theme, and there's only so many ways you can tart kids up in costumes. "Go with what you know" is good advice, but good God! Shouldn't she have at least one other idea?

thermalribbon
11-02-2001, 12:19 PM
Reminds me of a great captioned picture from the Onion. Depicted were two 3-year-old boys dressed in Nazi SS Uniforms with narrow Hitler-like moustaches.

The caption read: "Anne Geddes Has Completely Lost It"!!!

Cat Whisperer
11-02-2001, 12:24 PM
Anne Geddes is so, like, five years ago. Is anybody still buying her crappy kitsch? (I liked the treatment her "famous babies" got on "Friends").

Green Bean
11-02-2001, 12:29 PM
Wow! Great rant. I give it a 10+, mostly because I hate that Anne Geddes shit, too.

voguevixen
11-02-2001, 12:37 PM
Oh thank God. Finally someone agrees with me. My first experience with her was when some dingbat in my office had a picture of the babies dressed up like peas in a pod. My response was "WTF? The babies are FOOD? We're supposed to EAT THEM?!?!" Blech!

Primaflora
11-02-2001, 03:09 PM
I hate them! They're disturbing images. She actually pays the baby models but very very poorly. Parents used to queue for hours to audition for her photo shoots. Yick.

I detest the pumpkin one with the prem baby. that's verging on child abuse especially as she admitted in an interview that one took a while to shoot.

Annie
11-02-2001, 03:18 PM
I find AG's dreck to be effective as a quick IQ test: like this stuff? 90 brain points, tops. Besides, this anti-anthropomorphism can't be a healthy way of perceiving children. They're not some cutesy-ass dressup dolly existing for your amusement, they are people. Shorter than average, of course.

A dude at work, commenting about his soon to be born kid: "We don't know what his name will be or what religion we'll raise him in but under no circumstances will we dress him as anything other than a human being!"

Dragonblink
11-02-2001, 03:19 PM
Gods, and here I thought I was the only one who thought Geddes was disturbed ...

Unfortunately, yes, people still buy this crap. During the time I worked at Borders I sold numerous books, calendars, posters, bookmarks, etc etc etc. Makes me worry for the future of the human race. Come on people, they're just dressed up babies! That's all you're gonna see! Geddes dresses up babies like sad, lonely, obsessive people dress up their dogs every day, and they're not even her kids! (does she even have kids?)

cher3
11-02-2001, 03:24 PM
Never mind the costumes. Anyone who can get more than one baby to look at the camera at the same time is obviously employing some serious drugs.

Slithy Tove
11-02-2001, 03:44 PM
I'm looking forward to her collaboration with the equally overpraised and past his inspiration date Willaim Wegman.

A baby dressed as a Weimaraner dressed as a baby dressed as a Weimaraner dressed as a ...

Tranquilis
11-02-2001, 04:11 PM
Slithy Tove, I'm a little worried about you... That you could even imagine such a scenario is a sign of one seriously diseased mind. :p

Guinastasia
11-02-2001, 04:51 PM
She is the Thomas Kinkaid of photography.

Arwen
11-02-2001, 05:00 PM
My roommate posted unauthorized A.G. pics up in our living room....and all her room (her space, no biggie). I wish I had the courage to burn the little reindeer and rabbits cursing my couches!!

Ice Wolf
11-02-2001, 05:21 PM
For a moment, I thought I'd have the terrible, soul-destroying embarrassment of admitting that Anne Geddes is a Kiwi (she's done a lot of her work here).

Then, I see from her website (the woman's reg.trademarked her name, for stars sakes ...) she was actually born and raised in Queensland, Australia.

Hallelujah. I am saved.

cher3
11-02-2001, 05:27 PM
I can see why she'd have to trademark her name. A lot of places around here were doing fake Geddes-type portraits. You think the real thing is bad?

Say cheese...lots of cheese.

Ice Wolf
11-02-2001, 05:33 PM
"Cheesy" clones well, I find.

Juniper200
11-02-2001, 05:41 PM
When I worked at Waldenbooks, a customer came in once asking for the "Anne Geddes Kama Sutra." I managed to sputter out "Uh...do you mean the 'Anne Hooper* Kama Sutra?'" I wasn't sure whether to laugh or call the cops or both.

For the record, the customer wanted the Anne Hooper book and never caught on to the freakiness of the original request.

*Anne Hooper (http://www.annehooper.com) is well-known for her how-to type sex publications. She's very good; all of the pictures in her books are erotic, sensual, understated, and sexy as hell. However, she's sure as hell not Anne Geddes.)

Ice Wolf
11-02-2001, 06:08 PM
Juniper200, that just has to be the most disturbing post I've read today ...

Hombre
11-02-2001, 07:00 PM
I think the problem is she is being called an artist.
Ughhh!!!!!
Put me in the Demo and Tranquilis camp.
Babies aside - Quit subjecting me to those sickingly manipulative images!
Guinastasia, you think she is the Thomas Kinkaid of photography? It's worse. She's the Thomas Kinkaid and the Bobby Goldsboro of photography all rolled into one.

Yeach!

rjung
11-02-2001, 07:02 PM
I don't care one way or the other myself, but one thing that does bug me about Anne Geddes is that her pictures encourage women that all babies need to be overweight butterballs with rolly-polly arms and round faces to be cute.

Or maybe it's just my wife who has that delusion...

Tabithina
11-02-2001, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Primaflora

I detest the pumpkin one with the prem baby. that's verging on child abuse especially as she admitted in an interview that one took a while to shoot.

God, how I hate that picture! I was sent that obscenity as a Thanksgiving card one year. I had to throw it away, because it upset me too much to look at it. And to think it took a while to shoot...:mad:.

Kayeby
11-02-2001, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Ice Wolf
she was actually born and raised in Queensland, Australia. You know, Queensland isn't actually part of Australia. We just pretend for the Olympics and stuff. *nods*

tiny ham
11-02-2001, 07:39 PM
I still like bee suits.

I love baby halloween costumes. I saw a baby, like eight months in a dinosaur costume last week and almost wet my pants with glee

jar

Bad News Baboon
11-02-2001, 08:02 PM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/sc_view.cfm?pCatId=3238

Jar, there was one of a Boston Terrier in a bee suit.

damn, THAT was cute.

(but maybe only cause I have BTs)
I was gonna dress up like a queen Bee and have my dogs be my swarm. but the reality was: they wouldnt tolerate the suits for more than 2 seconds.

AuntiePam
11-02-2001, 08:08 PM
There's one Geddes that I like, and I have to smile every time I look at it. No costume involved, just a nekkid baby, surrounded by pink roses, legs crossed, huge grin.

I don't mind Geddes. It's P. Buckley Moss's "art" that I don't understand.

Guinastasia
11-02-2001, 08:20 PM
Who the hell is Goldsboro, or whoever?

:confused:

kung fu lola
11-02-2001, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by rjung
I don't care one way or the other myself, but one thing that does bug me about Anne Geddes is that her pictures encourage women that all babies need to be overweight butterballs with rolly-polly arms and round faces to be cute.

Can babies be "overweight"? They eat when they are hungry, until they are satisfied. Exercise is out, because, you know, they don't really walk or stand up until near the end of the first years.
I am a little creeped out by the notion that babies can be "overweight". I think most babies are just the weight they're supposed to be for the first 8 months of life, at least. It disturbs me that a parent would worry about their teeny tiny baby being "overweight".

kung fu lola
11-02-2001, 09:30 PM
Oh dear god, why didn't my preview show me that ridiculous plural?

First year, not first years.

Am I blind?

::walks away grumbling::

Una Persson
11-02-2001, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by voguevixen
My first experience with her was when some dingbat in my office had a picture of the babies dressed up like peas in a pod. My response was "WTF? The babies are FOOD? We're supposed to EAT THEM?!?!" Blech!
The babies as peas made me almost physically ill, for just that reason.

Una Persson
11-02-2001, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by rjung
Some of them look like little midget Michelin Men. Blech.

Una Persson
11-02-2001, 10:02 PM
And hey, guys, I have a question - which is worse: Her pictures, or the ones in the big coffee-table books of "Baby Butts"? :confused:

Michael Ellis
11-02-2001, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Anthracite
And hey, guys, I have a question - which is worse: Her pictures, or the ones in the big coffee-table books of "Baby Butts"? :confused:

Thanks Anthracite, my head just exploded.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck...

lee
11-02-2001, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Guinastasia

He wrote the song Honey.

KellyM
11-02-2001, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by kung fu lola
Can babies be "overweight"?Yes, they can. Gestational diabetes often causes overweight babies, and there are endocrinological problems that can cause a baby to gain weight too fast after birth.

Raving Nude Hermit
11-02-2001, 11:15 PM
Worst Place for an Anne Geddes print? My dentist has them on the celing over the dentist's chairs in his ofice! Sit there looking up at one of those damn photos while someone works inside my mouth with sharp instuments? ARRGH!

Fern Forest
11-03-2001, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by jarbabyj
I still like bee suits.

jar

You know, even John Belushi was kinda cute and cuddly dressed up as a kiler bee.

buzz buzz buzz

zoogirl
11-03-2001, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by lee

He wrote the song Honey.

And, I think, "Watching Scotty Grow". Late Sixties, early Seventies. Really REALLY sappy crap!

Tranquilis
11-03-2001, 09:22 AM
Sit there looking up at one of those damn photos while someone works inside my mouth with sharp instuments? ARRGH!
A real sadist, hmmm?

Spit
11-03-2001, 10:36 AM
Well, I would like to thank you all VERY FRIGGING MUCH.

I had personally never heard of Anne Geddes until today, and I wish things hadn't changed. I browsed her site looking for the fabled "pea" (http://www.annegeddes.com/indexpages.cfm?P=G&U=calendar_gallery_05.cfm) and "pumpkin" (http://www.annegeddes.com/indexpages.cfm?P=G&U=calendar_gallery_05.cfm) photos.(Check 1992 & 1996 for all of the other uninitiated)

Disturbing.

I can't believe anyone would find these pictures "cute", let alone have their child be IN one of them.

Kaje
11-03-2001, 12:03 PM
This is just what I wanted to see: Babies hung by meat hooks (http://www.annegeddes.com/images/_gallery/gcal_92_1.jpg)?

And don't tell me this (http://www.annegeddes.com/images/_gallery/gcal_92_1.jpg) ain't creepy. The baby looks scared.

This (http://www.annegeddes.com/images/_gallery/gcal_02_10.jpg) one reminds me of some kind of pagan ritual sacrifice type thing

May I be the first to say WTF??!@?! (http://www.annegeddes.com/images/_gallery/gcal_99_8.jpg)

Now come on... kitschy... sappy... cutesy as they are... can you honestly say that you find the baby in the bee costume disturbing compared to THAT shit?

Kaje
11-03-2001, 12:05 PM
Ok apparently you can't link directly to pictures on her site... so just rest assured that they're all pretty fucked up.

papergirl
11-03-2001, 01:08 PM
Umm, yeah. What you guys said...

(hurriedly stuffs AG calendar in desk drawer behind the Reeses Cups)

papergirl
11-03-2001, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by bodypoet

(hurriedly stuffs AG calendar in desk drawer behind the Reeses Cups) [/B]

...right next to her "I (heart) Steve the Dell guy" tee shirt...

Someone please tell me I'm not a weirdo...

GKW
11-03-2001, 02:41 PM
I work with children and for some reason the toddlers on up love to look at these pictures. I don't think it's a 'can't look away from a disgusting thing' fascination but more like a novel juxtaposition that there little brains eat up and want to experience over and over again.

There is a black & white picture of hers that shows a man's hands holding a premie which I find visually interesting but I can do without the baby/flower/vegetable/fruit stuff.

Guinastasia
11-03-2001, 02:54 PM
Watching Scotty Grow-is that the one that goes, "That's my boy," after every line?

I don't know "Honey"...

Also, if you don't think toddlers can be fat, you've never seen Maury Povich.

OpalCat
11-03-2001, 03:20 PM
Uh oh... does that make me evil for this picture (http://www.fathom.org/nicky/sleeping-cherub2.jpg)?

I agree though, some of those pictures are horrid! And I swear she uses the same stock photo of a kid sleepingw with his butt in the air and just superimposes different hats/wings on it in about 50 of those images. The meat hook one was extra creepy. :::shudder:::

DAVEW0071
11-03-2001, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Juniper200
When I worked at Waldenbooks, a customer came in once asking for the "Anne Geddes Kama Sutra." I managed to sputter out "Uh...do you mean the 'Anne Hooper* Kama Sutra?'" I wasn't sure whether to laugh or call the cops or both.

For the record, the customer wanted the Anne Hooper book and never caught on to the freakiness of the original request.

*Anne Hooper (http://www.annehooper.com) is well-known for her how-to type sex publications. She's very good; all of the pictures in her books are erotic, sensual, understated, and sexy as hell. However, she's sure as hell not Anne Geddes.) Wow, for a minute after reading this, I had the most disturbing images of cucumbers and melons.

<<shudder>>

Una Persson
11-03-2001, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by OpalCat
Uh oh... does that make me evil for this picture (http://www.fathom.org/nicky/sleeping-cherub2.jpg)?
Only if those are not clouds, but are actually MASHED POTATOES! :eek:

;)

Michael Ellis
11-03-2001, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Kaje
This is just what I wanted to see: Babies hung by meat hooks (http://www.annegeddes.com/images/_gallery/gcal_92_1.jpg)?

And don't tell me this (http://www.annegeddes.com/images/_gallery/gcal_92_1.jpg) ain't creepy. The baby looks scared.

This (http://www.annegeddes.com/images/_gallery/gcal_02_10.jpg) one reminds me of some kind of pagan ritual sacrifice type thing

May I be the first to say WTF??!@?! (http://www.annegeddes.com/images/_gallery/gcal_99_8.jpg)

Now come on... kitschy... sappy... cutesy as they are... can you honestly say that you find the baby in the bee costume disturbing compared to THAT shit?

No. That...err...woman is losing it.

Lamia
11-04-2001, 08:03 PM
Thanks to this thread, I have chosen a new career for myself.

I want to be the Anne Geddes of women's college students!

Just imagine it! A petite redheaded American History major, reclining nude on a huge pumpkin. A sultry brunette from the German Studies department, in a giant bowl of eggnog, wearing nothing but a spring of holly. Three flower-crowned and fresh-faced first years, emerging from flowerpots.

I tell ya, I'm going to make a killing with this. I go to a women's college already, so finding subjects will be no problem. All I need to do is get some flowers and bee costumes and I'm all set.

zoogirl
11-04-2001, 09:53 PM
Watching Scotty Grow-is that the one that goes, "That's my boy," after every line?

I don't know "Honey"...

Yep. that's the one! And Guin? You seem like a good person, so I'm asking you as a friend, please PLEASE don't even THINK of tracking down "Honey"! It'll turn your brain into mush and send you screaming into the night! Honestly, you'll be warped for life! :D

Zenster
11-05-2001, 01:43 AM
She is the Thomas Kinkaid of photography. Don't worry folks. Soon she is scheduled for that quantum leap up in artistic creativity. Yup, you guessed it, she'll start painting lonely looking lost kids with really big eyes!

After that she will again roar upwards in another burst of creative fury and graduate to velvet Elvis paintings. Look out Thomas Kinkaid, she'll be nipping at your heels in no time.

psychogumby
11-05-2001, 06:23 AM
Anne Geddes is still around? I thought that she stopped being fashionable sometime before the Macarena did.

Either way i'd like to put Anne Geddes in a giant bee costume with no ventilation, other than one plughole, attached to which is a hose connected directly to the nappy/diaper of a baby with a severe gastrointestinal infection that is producing fecal matter with the same appearance and consistancy of American mustard.

You think that's good? That's only January, baby ...

Gyrate
11-05-2001, 10:28 AM
Babies in Pumpkins Savaged by Weimeraners in Wigs.

Film at 11.

Tranquilis
11-05-2001, 10:30 AM
I want to be the Anne Geddes of women's college students!

Just imagine it! A petite redheaded American History major, reclining nude on a huge pumpkin. <snip>

I tell ya, I'm going to make a killing with this.
Yes, you would. Just call yourself an artist, and the money will roll in forever. Obviously, Anee G. has twigged to this already.

Spectre of Pithecanthropus
11-05-2001, 04:31 PM
Umm yeah, what everybody said.

Did you ever notice how the babies almost NEVER look happy? They almost always look like they're about to start crying any second.