PDA

View Full Version : the straight dope on lasix surgery?

CC
11-06-2001, 08:56 AM
OK, it's been a while since we've seen the glut of advertising for lasix surgery. I'm reluctant to have my eyes carved on in the absence of any long term evidence as to efficacy and safety. Since the procedure apparently keeps being refined and updated, is there any reason to think this is a reasonable alternative to wearing glasses? (and don't ask how I came to wear glasses!) thank you.

Popup
11-06-2001, 08:57 AM
There have been several threads about this. The reason you didn't find them is that it's spelled LASIK. Try searching again!

KneadToKnow
11-06-2001, 09:00 AM
Yeah, but what's the deal with Retinax Five? :D

barbitu8
11-06-2001, 09:42 AM
The procedure is not being refined. There are several procedurews. Initially there was RK, radial keratotomy, with the knife. Then the laser came along, where the top layer of the cornea was burned off to change the curvature: photorefractive keratectomy, PRK. Then there is the current procedure (but not latest), wherein a flap is cut in your cornea by a microkeratomer (I doubt if I spelled tha right) and then the inside of the cornea is burned away with the laser (LASIK, laser in situ keratamelieusis - I doubt if I spelled that correctly). There have also been new lasers approved by the FDA in addition to the original one.

The latest is a ring embedded around the inside of your cornea, molding the cornea into the proper shape. This procedure is reversible. These have all been approved by the FDA. FDA would not have approved them unless they were demonstrated to be effective and safe. Of course, it all depends upon what you mean by "long term."

New info is being gathered as these procedures gain age. At first, it was thought that RK would change the shape of the cornea for five years after the operation, towards more contraction. Hence, the cornea was not shaped for 20/20 vision, since that would result in hyperopia. Or it shouldn't be shaped to 20/20 due to additional correction after the surgery. Now they've found out that the cornea continues to contract even 10 years after the operation, resulting in many people now having hyperopia (farsightedness).

And there have been cases of less than successful laser surgeries too. But those have arisen due to inferior lasers, which have not been approved by the FDA.

Superdude
11-06-2001, 10:02 AM
Well, CC, I have PRK performed on me almost 4 years ago. It was done by Dr. Richard Eiferman in Louisville, KY (who is considered by many to be one of the best in this field). I have never once experienced any haloing or any other side effect that is possible as a result of this procedure.

Superdude
11-06-2001, 10:02 AM
Well, CC, I had PRK performed on me almost 4 years ago. It was done by Dr. Richard Eiferman in Louisville, KY (who is considered by many to be one of the best in this field). I have never once experienced any haloing or any other side effect that is possible as a result of this procedure.

CalMeacham
11-06-2001, 10:12 AM
I understand that one of the drawbacks is a tendency to repeat yourself.

Superdude
11-06-2001, 10:16 AM
True, Cal. The doctor sneezed performing mine, and caused my throat to skip. As a result, I have a scratch on it that sometimes makes me repeat myself. I've tried running a CD cleaner over it, but nothing works.

ShibbOleth
11-06-2001, 10:27 AM
The Straight Dope on Lasix (http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/chheart/meds07.htm)TM:
Lasix
DIURETICS, LOOP (Systemic)

Description—Loop diuretics are given to help reduce the amount of water in the body. They work by acting on the kidneys to increase the flow of urine.

Furosemide is also used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) in those patients who are not helped by other medicines or in those patients who have kidney problems.

High blood pressure adds to the work load of the heart and arteries. If it continues for a long time, the heart and arteries may not function properly. This can damage the blood vessels of the brain, heart, and kidneys, resulting in a stroke, heart failure, or kidney failure. High blood pressure may also increase the risk of heart attacks. These problems may be less likely to occur if blood pressure is controlled.

Loop diuretics may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.

And of course lasix is well known in horse racing (http://www.runhorse.com/lasix.htm) circles as well:
Heres one of the big x-factors in handicapping (as if there aren't enough subtleties already). Lasix or Furosemide is a diuretic used to treat bleeding in horses. It can be given to horses that suffer exercise-induced pulmonary hemorrhaging (basically that means he's a bleeder). Such horses might slow abruptly when their breathing is inhibited.

Hope this helps!

handy
11-06-2001, 10:35 AM
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=97009

Weird_AL_Einstein
11-06-2001, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by KneadToKnow
Yeah, but what's the deal with Retinax Five? :D

I myself am allergic to RetinaxTM ;)

rseneres
11-06-2001, 01:06 PM
The procedure IS undergoing refinement. For example the method of "creating the flap" can be enhanced to do this more precisely by way of very small, cutting jets of water, among other methods under research. Source: Dr Alan Carlson, Duke University.

Malice
11-06-2001, 01:52 PM
FYI, here's an article from that discusses various kinds of eye surgeries, their risks and benefits, patient eligibility, costs, etc...

http://www.usc.edu/hsc/info/pr/hmm/spr01/view.html