PDA

View Full Version : Puff the Magic Dragon

aklesh3
12-27-1999, 11:09 PM
Isn't there a "Happy" ending to Puff the Magic Dragon...it talking it over with my wife, we both seem to remember a version that had another little boy coming to play with Puff and Puff coming to know that while "not so little boys", that there would be a endless supply of little boys to play with? But we can't find it and anyone else we ask looks at us like we're nuts! Help me!

------------------
Lord, let me be the person that my dog thinks I am!

tomndebb
12-27-1999, 11:14 PM
Sounds to me as though you are confusing Puff and Peter Pan. Peter never pays attention to such mundane things as time and so fails to come get Wendy each Spring to clean his house (as he promised). When he finally does come, he finds, not Wendy, but Wendy's daughter (who happily goes off to have an adventure).

------------------
Tom~

Cooper
12-27-1999, 11:23 PM
I don't know, but anyone else familiar with the rumor that this was just a dope song?

(Puff the Magic - Drag On!)

Was this Peter, Paul and Mary? Did they write it?

GuanoLad
12-27-1999, 11:23 PM
Or maybe you're getting mixed up with the animated TV movie, which goes in odd directions indeed.

As is illustrated here (http://mudhole.spodnet.uk.com/~bean/puff/puffbk5.html)

------------------
-PIGEONMAN-
Hero For A New Millennium!

The Legend Of PigeonMan (http://www.hotkey.net.au/~guanolad/pigeonman/) - Back in the new year! Honest. I promise. No, really.

Finagle
12-27-1999, 11:24 PM
I've heard the "happy ending" version too. And ever since, the canonical version with the scales falling like rain has bummed the hell out of me. Can't give you an attribution though. My guess is that PP&M occasionally ad-libbed.

MrKnowItAll
12-28-1999, 02:00 AM
I don't know, but anyone else familiar with the rumor that this was just a dope song?

Snopes to the rescue!
http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/puff.htm

aklesh3
12-28-1999, 03:17 AM
Thanks for the web site but I've never thought of it as a drug song...how people could think that!

DrFidelius
12-28-1999, 07:17 AM
A dope song? Absurd.

It is clearly an allegory about Nazi Germany escaping from the influence of the Bavarian Illuminati and coming into the sphere of the Trilateral Commission. Remember, Hitler was a paperhanger...

DAVEW0071
12-28-1999, 07:44 AM
I have never heard a version of Puff that contains a verse referencing a new kid discovering Puff. But you might be remembering Captain Kangaroo's illustrated version of the song, featuring, IIRC, a kid who looked like he was a caveman or Tarzan or something, dressed in animal skins. They illustrated (not animated) the whole song, and at the end, when Puff is exiled in his cave, the words "But Wait..." appeared on the screen, and a new kid in a new animal skin is seen creeping up to the sealed mouth of the cave, thereby inspiring hope that the cycle of imaginary friendship doesn't end, but merely is accessed by a new generation. Or something.

As far as Peter Paul 'n' Mary go, they have realized the error of their ways re: this song. We have a videotaped family concert of theirs titled "Peter, Paul and Mommy" in which they sing the final chorus as "Puff the Magic Dragon lives by the sea," then in the gap before the next line they say in unison, "Present tense!" It is the song that will not die.

------------------
The Dave-Guy
"since my daughter's only half-Jewish, can she go in up to her knees?" J.H. Marx

cher3
12-28-1999, 11:39 AM
I vaguely remember a version that was shown on Captain Kangaroo in the 60's. The song itself didn't mention another little boy, but at the end of the song the cartoon drawings that accompanied the song showed another little boy approaching Puff's cave. (Wow, how'd I ever dredge that one up?)

Guy Propski
12-28-1999, 01:13 PM
The song as written by Peter, Paul, and Mary does not have a happy ending. Any happy endings you may have heard are the result of (1) tampering by terminally optimistic revisionsists or (2) hallucinations caused by drugs, as suggested in the lyrics.

Guy Propski
12-28-1999, 01:15 PM
I left out the evidence:

Puff the Magic Dragon
by Peter, Paul and Mary

Puff, the magic dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In a land called Honah Lee
Little Jackie Paper
Loved that rascal Puff,
And brought him strings and sealing wax
And other fancy stuff. Oh!

[excess lyrics snipped- here's a link so you can see the "evidence" http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/peter+paul+mary/puff+the+magic+dragon_10205000.html- Ivorytowerdenizen]

PoliticallyWhat?
02-29-2016, 10:23 AM
A dope song? Absurd.

It is clearly an allegory about Nazi Germany escaping from the influence of the Bavarian Illuminati and coming into the sphere of the Trilateral Commission. Remember, Hitler was a paperhanger...

No it is not. The actual author of the poem Leonard Lipton, Before he gave it to his college friend Peter Yarrow, of Peter, Paul and Mary, has done many interviews frustratingly telling that it had nothing to do with drugs or any other hidden messages.
:smack:

psychonaut
02-29-2016, 10:32 AM
You registered an account here just so that you could fall for a long-forgotten joke in a 17-year-old thread?

PoliticallyWhat?
02-29-2016, 10:36 AM
The song as written by Peter, Paul, and Mary does not have a happy ending. Any happy endings you may have heard are the result of (1) tampering by terminally optimistic revisionsists or (2) hallucinations caused by drugs, as suggested in the lyrics.
This was actually NOT written by Peter, Paul and Mary. The original poem was written by Leonard Lipton who gave it to his college friend Peter Yarrow (of Peter, Paul and Mary). Peter Yarrow then wrote the MUSIC to the poem and tweaked the last paragraph. So Peter was the ORIGINAL REVISIONIST. I think it is unfortunate that he wasn't really vocal about Leonard Lipton's role in this song. Also, though there have been several happy endings by many added to the song, Peter Yarrow DID do one as well but it was eliminated because it made the song go beyond the standard 3 minute time frame. So even the original performers, if not writer was "terminally optimistic".....thank goodness, the world would be such an unhappy place if everyone walked around, "terminally sad and angry".
PS: Could you explain how being optimistic is, "terminal"? I hope you are able to THAW at some point.

PoliticallyWhat?
02-29-2016, 10:41 AM
You registered an account here just so that you could fall for a long-forgotten joke in a 17-year-old thread?

Yes, I saw the dates and it doesn't matter. Someone else will stumble on this sight just as I did and they may not know the facts of the song and may walk away with false information. At least now it is there if they are taking time to also read 17 year old information. The facts of the song and it's origins are the same no matter when the information gets posted.
And you took the time to respond for no other reason than to be surly. You need to consider how you are spending your own time before you judge me on mine. At least I provided constructive information.

Siam Sam
02-29-2016, 10:41 AM
I have never heard a version of Puff that contains a verse referencing a new kid discovering Puff. But you might be remembering Captain Kangaroo's illustrated version of the song, featuring, IIRC, a kid who looked like he was a caveman or Tarzan or something, dressed in animal skins. They illustrated (not animated) the whole song, and at the end, when Puff is exiled in his cave, the words "But Wait..." appeared on the screen, and a new kid in a new animal skin is seen creeping up to the sealed mouth of the cave, thereby inspiring hope that the cycle of imaginary friendship doesn't end, but merely is accessed by a new generation. Or something.

As far as Peter Paul 'n' Mary go, they have realized the error of their ways re: this song. We have a videotaped family concert of theirs titled "Peter, Paul and Mommy" in which they sing the final chorus as "Puff the Magic Dragon lives by the sea," then in the gap before the next line they say in unison, "Present tense!" It is the song that will not die.

------------------
The Dave-Guy
"since my daughter's only half-Jewish, can she go in up to her knees?" J.H. Marx

I recall the Captain Kangaroo version. It was the happy ending the OP is thinking of.

PoliticallyWhat?
02-29-2016, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=PoliticallyWhat?;19140302]This was actually NOT written by Peter, Paul and Mary. The original poem was written by Leonard Lipton who gave it to his college friend Peter Yarrow (of Peter, Paul and Mary). Peter Yarrow then wrote the MUSIC to the poem and tweaked the last paragraph. So Peter was the ORIGINAL REVISIONIST. I think it is unfortunate that he wasn't really vocal about Leonard Lipton's role in this song.
Also, though there have been several happy endings by many added to the song, Peter Yarrow DID do one as well but it was eliminated because it made the song go beyond the standard 3 minute time frame. So even the original performers, if not writer was "terminally optimistic".....thank goodness, the world would be such an unhappy place if everyone walked around, "terminally sad and angry".

PS: Could you explain how being optimistic is, "terminal"?

PSS: The author of the poem also had no hidden messages referring to drugs. If the actual drug filled listener heard the song and found meaning in an innocent child's song about the loss of innocence, then that is on them and the others who make something out of nothing....talk about revisionist. Just as with any other song, people hear what they want or how their own life experiences imprint on the meaning of the song for THEM personally, not how was necessarily intended by the author.
I hope you are able to THAW at some point.

yabob
02-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the web site but I've never thought of it as a drug song...how people could think that!
As the Snopes article says:
The 1960s being what they were, however, any song based on oblique or allegorical lyrics was subject to reinterpretation as a "drug song," ...
In the context of the times, it's not surprising. I don't think I've ever heard Peter Yarrow comment on it, but I wonder if he's ever shared any thoughts about "Puff, the Magic Dragon" getting used as a nickname for the AC47 Spooky (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_AC-47_Spooky) gunship during Vietnam. I wouldn't be surprised if that actually pissed him off more.

DrFidelius
02-29-2016, 11:14 AM
No it is not. The actual author of the poem Leonard Lipton, Before he gave it to his college friend Peter Yarrow, of Peter, Paul and Mary, has done many interviews frustratingly telling that it had nothing to do with drugs or any other hidden messages.
:smack:
Wow.

That must have been back when I still smoked the marijuana.

I can't believe how quick I was to Godwinize a thread about a sing.

cochrane
02-29-2016, 11:27 AM
Yes, I saw the dates and it doesn't matter. Someone else will stumble on this sight just as I did and they may not know the facts of the song and may walk away with false information. At least now it is there if they are taking time to also read 17 year old information. The facts of the song and it's origins are the same no matter when the information gets posted.
And you took the time to respond for no other reason than to be surly. You need to consider how you are spending your own time before you judge me on mine. At least I provided constructive information.

The point is, you got bent out of shape for what most people here would see was an obvious joke. Or, as we say round these parts, you got whooshed, son.

Colibri
02-29-2016, 11:34 AM
Moved to Cafe Society, which didn't exist 17 years ago when this thread was started.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

cochrane
02-29-2016, 11:37 AM
As the Snopes article says:

In the context of the times, it's not surprising. I don't think I've ever heard Peter Yarrow comment on it, but I wonder if he's ever shared any thoughts about "Puff, the Magic Dragon" getting used as a nickname for the AC47 Spooky (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_AC-47_Spooky) gunship during Vietnam. I wouldn't be surprised if that actually pissed him off more.

I remember reading a Clive Cussler novel in which Cussler had referred to a compressed air anti-shark weapon as "Barf the Magic Dragon."

DrDeth
02-29-2016, 01:00 PM
nm.

Johnny L.A.
02-29-2016, 01:14 PM
Isn't there a "Happy" ending to Puff the Magic Dragon...it talking it over with my wife, we both seem to remember a version that had another little boy coming to play with Puff and Puff coming to know that while "not so little boys", that there would be a endless supply of little boys to play with? But we can't find it and anyone else we ask looks at us like we're nuts! Help me!

When I was little, Puff The Magic Dragon made me sad. My much-older sister told me there's another verse where Puff gets a new little boy to play with and he's happy again. If such a verse exists, I've never heard it. But my sister's (presumed) lie made me feel better.

AncientHumanoid
02-29-2016, 01:46 PM
nm.

Seems legit.

handsomeharry
02-29-2016, 02:19 PM
I recall the Captain Kangaroo version. It was the happy ending the OP is thinking of.

Same here. That was something like 50 years ago. Wow.

To the OP, tho, I was even wanting to say that I thought that PP&M had even done a 'revisited' kind of song. Guess I hallucinated that.

standingwave
02-29-2016, 03:38 PM

(Puff the Magic - Drag On!)

Are you a pothead, Cooper? :D

https://youtu.be/dFCwtoxX60g

Greg Charles
02-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Here's something interesting: the time this thread languished waiting for its claim that the PtMD was about the Trilateral Commission (16+ years) is almost half the time from PtMD's original release to this thread's OP. I swear time is accelerating.

Also, for three of those 17 years, I co-owned a restaurant in Saigon at which Peter Yarrow ate three times during his stay there. However I was traveling at the time and missed him. Dammit! (Yes, that's actually only interesting to me.)

Declan
02-29-2016, 04:42 PM
Isn't there a "Happy" ending to Puff the Magic Dragon.

Sure, first you have to call in the fast movers, with some snake and nape, fire a bunch of star shells and pop open the beer.

Declan

Ukulele Ike
02-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Little Jackie Paper "moving on to other toys" means he stopped smoking so much "gateway" weed, started mainlining heroin, and eventually croaked from an OD. It's TRUE.

Ahh, how I miss 1999. I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now.

DrDeth
02-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Little Jackie Paper "moving on to other toys" means he stopped smoking so much "gateway" weed, started mainlining heroin, and eventually croaked from an OD. It's TRUE..

No, it's not true.

AncientHumanoid
02-29-2016, 05:26 PM
No, it's not true.

It is! It is!

Also, if you count up the syllables, you can calculate the date of Armageddon. Truth!

Siam Sam
02-29-2016, 07:23 PM
In fact, not only do I recall the upbeat ending of the Captain Kangaroo version, but I recall it so vividly that I've always assumed that was the original version. I mean, I know it wasn't PP&M who sang that version, or at least I don't think it was, but I thought that was just the way the song always went.

Ukulele Ike
02-29-2016, 08:05 PM
...if you count up the syllables, you can calculate the date of Armageddon. Truth!

....you ever put your finger on the turntable and play it backwards? It'll blow your fucking mind, man.

(When they found Jackie, he was stone blue and still had the needle hanging outta his arm.)

Boyo Jim
03-01-2016, 10:28 AM
A dragon song with a happy ending? Who's gonna get close enough to jerk off a dragon?

Johnny L.A.
03-01-2016, 12:15 PM

Oh, say, can you see? 'C' stands for 'cocaine'... (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=517889) :D

Fool in the Rain
03-01-2016, 12:51 PM
A dragon song with a happy ending? Who's gonna get close enough to jerk off a dragon?

Bilbo jerked off Smaug pretty good...

I'll get my coat

Johnny L.A.
03-01-2016, 12:57 PM
I'll get my coat

I hope it's a raincoat. It's a big dragon.

TBG
03-03-2016, 03:04 PM
I've heard of zombie dragons*, but this is ridiculous.

*cite (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Zombie_Dragon_(Final_Fantasy_VI))

Annie-Xmas
03-05-2016, 09:04 AM
I have this (http://www.amazon.com/Puff-Magic-Dragon-Peter-Yarrow/dp/1402747829/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1457190179&sr=1-1&keywords=puff+the+magic+dragon) book and CD set, where Peter Yarrow says "IT IS NOT A DRUG SONG) and the ending has a little girl named Jackie meeting up with Puff.

astorian
03-05-2016, 11:24 AM
I have this (http://www.amazon.com/Puff-Magic-Dragon-Peter-Yarrow/dp/1402747829/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1457190179&sr=1-1&keywords=puff+the+magic+dragon) book and CD set, where Peter Yarrow says "IT IS NOT A DRUG SONG) and the ending has a little girl named Jackie meeting up with Puff.

My son had that set when he was little.

Thing is, "Puff" is not a tragic song- it's a bit wistful, but it's not as if something terrible has happened.

Little kids have favorite toys and imaginary playmates. When they grow up, they generally give those things up- and they SHOULD! If 4 year old Jackie Paper carries a stuffed dragon with him everywhere he goes, and sleeps with it at night, that's adorable. If 14 year old Jackie still sleeps with it... not quite as cute. Maybe a little creepy.

Now, as the Dad of a 12 year old boy, I've gotten to see the "Puff" story play out in real life many times. I sometimes come across an old toy or stuffed animal my son used to play with, and get a little misty-eyed, remembering how I used to work that toy into my son's bedtime stories. But my son wasn't SUPPOSED to stay little forever. He's SUPPOSED to be the roller blader and budding ladies man he is now.

In a way, "Puff" was a precursor to Toy Story. It treats imaginary playmates as real characters with real feelings.

FriarTed
03-05-2016, 11:54 AM
In the Snopes article, Peter asked "What kind of meanspirited SOB would put drug reference is a children's song?"

Well, expanding that to children's entertainment in general, Sid & Marty Krofft?
H.R. Pufnstuf… Lidsville….

The Altered State of Druggachusettes… :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06R80-I8tcI

FriarTed
03-05-2016, 11:57 AM
As to the OP, here are two possibilities tho I don't know if either were what the OP heard…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brDt_Oi4U6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeuXmMw3w1M

Thudlow Boink
03-05-2016, 12:31 PM
In a way, "Puff" was a precursor to Toy Story. It treats imaginary playmates as real characters with real feelings.A. A. Milne did it before all of them.

psychonaut
03-05-2016, 01:54 PM
A. A. Milne did it before all of them.And Margery Williams did it before A. A. Milne. No doubt even earlier examples could be found.