Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Boy, do I feel like an idiot (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=844867)

kayT 12-16-2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplehearingaid (Post 20670558)
when I got my new cell phone I tried to take some photos of some wild turkeys in the yard and I ended up with 50 photos or more ! I kept my finger on the button not realizing I was taking so many photos . I took a photo
of my daughter and got 3 photos ! I told her I can tell people I had triplet :) .

I have a better version of this. DH and I driving along and there's a clicking sound. What is it? Something inside the car. I'm touching things: sun visor, keyring, seat belt; nothing. Suddenly I realize it's coming from his seat. Turns out he had just got a new cell phone case that fastens on his belt, and when he fastened his seat belt, the phone started taking pictures. Of his butt. Over 60 pictures of his butt before we figured out what the noise was.

Mean Mr. Mustard 12-16-2017 08:31 PM

I heard folks calling in to a radio show on this same topic. One woman needed someone to pick up her toddler from preschool one day and enlisted her dad to pick up junior and bring him home. Grandpa did fine, except that he brought the wrong kid home.

(this was several years ago, presumably when day cares were not as careful as they are now with regard to non-parents fetching the tots)

mmm

Beckdawrek 12-16-2017 08:50 PM

I was in Walmart a few years ago. Lil'wrekker had some birthday money she wanted spend. We had been standing by the video games while she pondered and decided, all of a sudden some strange little boy grabbed my hand. He stood there a few minutes holding my hand watching a bigger boy play a video game. I just stood still & in a minute he looked up, I tell you the shock on that boys face was priceless. He took off running.

Muffin 12-16-2017 09:32 PM

Last night I failed to take my foot off the sewing machine pedal when adjusting the machine's foot. Owie!

Gatopescado 12-16-2017 10:54 PM

I'm married.

Beckdawrek 12-16-2017 11:01 PM

I actually paid money for 2 Siamese kittens, 5 years ago. My life has never been the same.

Johnny L.A. 12-17-2017 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 20670626)
I was in Walmart a few years ago. Lil'wrekker had some birthday money she wanted spend. We had been standing by the video games while she pondered and decided, all of a sudden some strange little boy grabbed my hand. He stood there a few minutes holding my hand watching a bigger boy play a video game. I just stood still & in a minute he looked up, I tell you the shock on that boys face was priceless. He took off running.

Heh. When I was five we went to the San Diego County Fair. It was night, and I was excited by all of the lights. I grabbed my dad's hand so I could point something out, but when I looked up to tell him to look, it wasn't my dad! My parents weren't that far behind me. They thought it was funny. But I was embarrassed.

Bullitt 12-17-2017 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John DiFool (Post 20670385)
Is that where you got your nickname from? "Private Bullitt, have yet another date with Rosie Palms last night?"

Yeah, really. It should, right? :)

bobkitty 12-17-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melondeca (Post 20670203)
A couple years ago it occurred to me that I did not have to use my teeth to remove the little plastic safety cap on my deodorant. I never realized you could twist up the deodorant. I’m 39 years old.

:eek:

I'm 44 and didn't realize this until I read your post. :smack:

Dr. Girlfriend 12-17-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Projammer (Post 20669062)
One bright summer day I stopped to get gas and discovered the LCD display on the pump to be completely blank. I reported the problem to the person on duty and he came out to check the pump with me and said it looked fine to him. It still looked blank to me so I pushed up my sun glasses for a closer look. Then it looked fine to me too.

Apparently the polarization on my new sunglasses was 90° different to the mask on the pump.

I've had this problem with my sunglasses too at a gas pump. I didn't quite get to the point of reporting it to the person on duty but I stood there staring for a minute before I realized it was my sunglasses.

I've also done that at work. I was getting ready to go out to lunch and put my sunglasses on before I clocked out for lunch. Can't read my computer screen with polarized sunglasses on!

DorkVader 12-17-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napier (Post 20670141)
My tractor broke down. The engine ran but no power was going to the wheels. I had had a clutch spline strip once before and was afraid it was that again. I had a local tractor repair shop trailer it to their facility, where they diagnosed that the high/low range lever was in the middle position, Neutral. They said they'd only charge me $100 for moving it twice and looking it over, and I asked how much extra to not tell any of my neighbors.

snip

Heh, when I was in AIT to be a mechanic in the army, one of the first things they taught us was that when the Colonel's driver wakes you up in the middle of the night, out in the field, to venture out into the sub-freezing temperatures of winter, so you can fix the Colonel's Humvee that won't start, first make sure the transmission is in neutral, then check the fuel level.

For me, it was trying to fix a steering problem in an M113 APC. The driver got it into the shop bay. I had the engine compartment open, looking things over etc. Ah Ha, says I, your linkages are out of adjustment because your steering differential is crooked. I hooked up the overhead lift to support the differential in the correct position while I disconnected everything so I can inspect mounting points and hardware for damage and correct the adjustments in all the linkages as well as identify and correct the cause of the crooked positioning of the part. Shouldn't have taken more than a couple of hours max, if I worked slowly. Took me all damn day fiddling with it and my motor sergeant pointing out that I was using the very same (wrong size) mounting pin that I had identified as the problem and removed earlier that day. I had set it aside, with the intention of replacing it with the correct part, but somehow managed to never do that step. In my defense though, that particular mounting point was underneath the differential, where all work was done by feel.

Yllaria 12-17-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melondeca (Post 20670203)
A couple years ago it occurred to me that I did not have to use my teeth to remove the little plastic safety cap on my deodorant. I never realized you could twist up the deodorant. I’m 39 years old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkitty (Post 20671384)

Sigh. Me, too.

Another used car moment. My son borrowed my van and left the seat warmer on - a seat warmer that I didn't know my car had. Do you know the first worry that passed through my mind when I first noticed the spreading heat?

Eyebrows 0f Doom 12-17-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Explain please? Do you mean twisting up the deodorant to push off the plastic cap? Or did you not know the deodorant twisted up at all?

bobkitty 12-17-2017 02:48 PM

The former. I knew the deodorant twisted up, just not that by doing so you could push the plastic safety cover off. It seemed to me that the deodorant was too soft to manage such a thing, so I never bothered to try.

nightshadea 12-17-2017 02:51 PM

when 3d cards were new in pcs I bought one with a with a new monitor...hooked it up but I had to disable the original on board graphics ... now there were two separate ports one for the normal and one down at the bottom.......

Now the monitor the monitor winked out and it was under warranty and as a loaner they gave me some monochrome EGA thing.......

So I hooked it up and it still looked messed up and I couldn't use it for much but e-mail.........I suffered through this for two weeks and got the old one fixed exchanged it and took it home ...... turned on and looked messed up.... called them back and brought it back in .... they took ot back and a day or so later called me saying it might be my pc ...... bring it in and they'd take a look .... well I figured id try it one more time and accidently hooked the ega thing to the 3d card port and voilà the damn thing worked .....sure it was yellow but it ididnt flip around and look like the tv from the outer limits . ....when I told my room mate he said "oh that's right we disabled the onboard graphics ...." I picked up the monitor and was playing everquest in an half hour.......

Spice Weasel 12-17-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 20670772)
I actually paid money for 2 Siamese kittens, 5 years ago. My life has never been the same.

Oh, right there with you.

''Let's get a kitten,'' I said.

''The older cat needs someone to play with,'' I said.

''Our pet expenses will only cost twice as much.''

Then, the clincher. ''Let's name him Abomination. It will be ironic!''

Beckdawrek 12-17-2017 07:50 PM

My Siamese have cutesy names, Bear-bear and Meeko, but they are decidedly not cute and sweet. They ARE beautiful, and you better tell them that at least a dozen times a day. They are demanding and loud, bossy, and oh so aloof. And you better not forget treat time.

melondeca 12-17-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

I can’t WAIT to tell my husband that I’m not the only one.

Toledo Jim 12-17-2017 11:29 PM

Sigh. I might have told this before, but here goes: Driving from Toledo to Lawrence, KS to visit my then fiance, later my wife. Somewhere around Effingham, IL I noticed the gas was low. Since several interstates cross there, I figured there was gas. Saw a lollipop sign for a station I had a credit card for, and hit the exit ramp. The car (68 Impala Wagon) coughed once and died, about halfway up the ramp. Oh, well. Walked up the ramp, bought a gallon of gas, paid the usual outlandish can deposit and headed back for the car. As I approached, a Highway Patrolman drove up behind the car, roof lights on. I sheepishly held up the can, the officer smiled and as I poured the gallon in we chatted a bit. He stuck around to make sure that was the problem. I started the car, it stuttered a bit, then ran just fine. Officer waved, left, and I picked up the can and walked back up the ramp to return the empty can and get my deposit back. As I returned the can, the attendant asked me where the car was, at which point it hit me. The car was still halfway up the ramp, quietly idling.

Mijin 12-17-2017 11:42 PM

I have a third one. Sorry to hijack thread but seems I'm just that dumb:

Went swimming with my gf, and she was wearing swimming-suitable headphones / mp3 player. Seemed like a really cool thing to make swimming more enjoyable, so I later went online to buy my own.

I found a model that I liked, but they were a bit pricey, so I shopped around several sites and eventually found them for a good price.

Anyway, the next time I go swimming with my gf, I turn on the headphones, dive into the water and Bzzt!: the sound cuts out.
Later I discover that the headphones I bought were not in fact the same model as the swimming-suitable ones (though they look identical). I got about 3 seconds of use from them before frying them. :smack:

chizzuk 12-18-2017 12:09 AM

I once went to pick up some sandwiches for lunch and then sat in my car in the parking lot panicking because it would not shift into reverse. I could not get out of the parking space. I frantically looked about for clues as to what might be wrong and tried to remember where my AAA card was. As I was fumbling for my cell phone, I saw the keys on my lap. The car would not shift out of reverse because it was not on, since I had not actually put the keys in the ignition. Somehow my brain had heard the noise of the BMW parked next to me starting up, ascribed that to my own car, and skipped that whole step.

That was actually the second time I've done that, too. The first time was in the garage leaving for work, on a morning where I'd already had to return to the house once after I'd walked out to the car barefoot.

Beckdawrek 12-18-2017 12:50 AM

How many times have you awakened, got up, got dressed went to work or school only find out it was Saturday? I don't admit to anything.

Johnny L.A. 12-18-2017 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 20672437)
How many times have you awakened, got up, got dressed went to work or school only find out it was Saturday? I don't admit to anything.

When I was eight or so I got up, got dressed, and told my parents (and the neighbours, who were visiting) that I was off to school. They looked at me as if I were nuts.

I'd come home from school and was tired, so I took a nap. I woke up at 6 PM. At the time of the year, 6 PM and 6 AM had the same amount of sun. (Didn't notice the angle.) So I thought I'd slept all night and had to hurry so that I wouldn't be late for school.

maisoui 12-18-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. (Post 20669393)
This reminds me of a story I've probably told before.

When I was a small child we lived in Japan. At the time, dad wore a Vulcain 'Cricket' watch, a model that was known for its alarm. This is before watches had batteries, so the alarm was not a 'beep-beep, beep-beep'. No, it was a clattering buzz. It sounded exactly like this in fact.

So dad's up on a stool, fixing some wiring in the ceiling light fixture. Just as he finished the job, his alarm went off. He thought he was being electrocuted and fell off of the stool. :p

Okay, I'll confess. I went to the link and I could see that the minute hand hadn't hit the 12 yet so of course there would be no sound, but then it DID hit the 12 and still no sound... until I picked up the headphones that are plugged into the computer and put them on my ears.

Spice Weasel 12-18-2017 09:16 AM

Ah yes. My med alarm stopped working, so I ordered a new one just like it. Only to find... The new one didn't work either.

Turns out they both had the same problem. In order to make them work, I had to *turn on the alarm.*

That little bit of stupidity cost me $40.

Spice Weasel 12-18-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. (Post 20672692)
When I was eight or so I got up, got dressed, and told my parents (and the neighbours, who were visiting) that I was off to school. They looked at me as if I were nuts.

I'd come home from school and was tired, so I took a nap. I woke up at 6 PM. At the time of the year, 6 PM and 6 AM had the same amount of sun. (Didn't notice the angle.) So I thought I'd slept all night and had to hurry so that I wouldn't be late for school.

This reminds me of the time, when I was 7 years old, that I missed the schoolbus one blustery winter morning. My Mom was at work, so I thought it would be a brilliant idea to ride my bike to school. Never mind that my house sat on a major highway, or that it was winter, or that I really had no idea how to get to school. I jumped on that bike and cruised down the freeway as the snow got heavier and heavier.

I ended up cold and lost in some quiet neighborhood. Eventually I knocked on a random door and a strange man let me into his house to call my Mom. When I couldn't get in touch with my mother, he offered to give me a ride to school. He then stuffed my bike into his trunk, jumped in the car, and... took me to school. I got there around noon. For some reason the school did not immediately call my mother.

She didn't find out until she picked me up from the sitter that night. You shoulda seen the look on her face when that story broke.

"But Mom! I checked the air in my tires before I left!"

"But Mom! He wasn't really a stranger because he was really nice!"

I still have a "problem" with trusting people too easily, though I'm now less inclined to ride my bike in the winter.

bibliophage 12-18-2017 10:20 AM

I drive a standard-cab pickup (no back seat). There is a space behind the seats for storage but I didn't use it much because it was such a hassle to access. I owned the truck for ten months before my brother-in-law showed me there is an "access panel" on either side. They open like suicide doors with the hinges in back. The handles to open them are visible only then the passenger doors are open. In my defense, the access panels are never mentioned in the owner's manual, as far as I can tell.

enipla 12-18-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullitt (Post 20669418)
When you’re replacing a glass shower door, when they break, it really is a spectacular CRASH!

I was on the first floor of my house when I hear something upstairs. Basically a loud WHUMP. Huh. Dogs must be fooling around.

Later found the entire bathroom floor covered with the broken shower door. Don't know what happened. Glad I wasn't taking a shower at the time.

icantdraw 12-18-2017 11:20 AM

I had some trouble with my motorcycle (a 1993 HD Heritage Softail). Wouldn't run. Borrowed a trailer and hauled it to the mechanic. Left it with him to get it going for me.

He called later in the day, informing me that he had put gas in for me. Thanks for that. :-)

Max Torque 12-18-2017 11:35 AM

One from my mother-in-law:

The driver's side door handle, the one inside the car, broke. So my wife was telling me about her struggle: "She can get into the car just fine, because the outside handle still works, but when she gets to work she has to slide all the way over to the passenger seat to get out, and it's just killing her back."

I said, "Why doesn't she just roll down the window and reach outside and open the car that way?"

There was a short pause. Then, "Oh my god, don't tell her that!"

DCnDC 12-18-2017 11:42 AM

I had to return something to Amazon. They mailed me a padded bag to send it back in. The bag came in an envelope and the second I received it, I slashed it open with my knife, which of course sliced right through the padded return bag. :smack:

I had to sheepishly email them to get another bag.

bizzwire 12-18-2017 12:17 PM

This doesn’t concern me, but my tenant. Mrs. “C,” who lived on the first floor, wanted to rent a piano. The moving company told her that there would be an additional charge for each step they encountered. She called me at work to ask how many steps there were on our front stoop.

“That’s funny,” I thought; “I walk up and down them every day, but never counted them.” However, I quickly remembered that Mrs. C was an idiot.

“Where are you calling from?” I asked. As I suspected, she was calling from her first-floor apartment.

“Why don’t you open the front door, and count them?”

AHunter3 12-18-2017 03:42 PM

I'll repeat my confession from 2003 when we did this same kind of thing...

Quote:

Originally Posted by me
Razors, with the disposable-replaceable blade cartridges? Razors that come in a little snap-in holder thingie, a "razor caddie" sort of thing?

So I had bought my umpteenth replacement pack of 5 or 10 razor cartridges and was packing for a trip, and decided to take the razor in the razor caddie, and was looking for the most space-economical way of also packing the little plastic case containing 5 replacement cartridges. And I flipped the razor caddie over on its back and there was this little hollow region and guess what, I got the plastic razor-cartridge case to fit right down there inside that little hollow region, am I efficient at packing or what?!

Wow, it even fits so snugly it just stays right there, I don't even have to tape it or rubber-band it to hold it in, it's almost as if it were

uh....meant to hold them? :o

Shoeless 12-18-2017 04:14 PM

I bought a new Hyundai Sonata back in May and just figured out a week or so that I have a "smart trunk" that will open automatically if I have the key in my pocket. I was digging through the glove compartment looking for something else and found this little card explaining how to use the smart trunk. It was buried under the window sticker and other papers the dealer had stuck in there.

DrDeth 12-18-2017 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Projammer (Post 20669062)
One bright summer day I stopped to get gas and discovered the LCD display on the pump to be completely blank. I reported the problem to the person on duty and he came out to check the pump with me and said it looked fine to him. It still looked blank to me so I pushed up my sun glasses for a closer look. Then it looked fine to me too.

Apparently the polarization on my new sunglasses was 90° different to the mask on the pump.

I have done that exact same thing. :smack:

Balthisar 12-18-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toledo Jim (Post 20672377)
I started the car, it stuttered a bit, then ran just fine. Officer waved, left, and I picked up the can and walked back up the ramp to return the empty can and get my deposit back. As I returned the can, the attendant asked me where the car was, at which point it hit me. The car was still halfway up the ramp, quietly idling.

This is my favorite so far!

D.E.S.K.Top668 12-18-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melondeca (Post 20672251)
I can’t WAIT to tell my husband that I’m not the only one.

I'm almost 50 and I'm proud to say that I knew about the twisting thing to get the safety cap BEFORE this thread. I figured it out...about 2 months ago:smack::(

Annoying Buzz 12-18-2017 07:52 PM

I bought a semi-expensive pair of headphones last year - nice and comfy, cloth pads (no vinyl crumbs everywhere!), good sound. Each earpiece had a cable that plugged into the bottom. Fine, but when I got them home, the cables just weren't connecting firmly; the sound would keep cutting out when I moved my head. I'd push the plugs back in, but they'd soon fall out again.

So I bring the whole set back to the store. The clerk takes one look and:

*twist* *CLICK*, *twist* *CLICK* "How's that?" :smack:

In fairness, plugging them in all the way took a little more force than I usually like to apply to expensive electronics.

Spice Weasel 12-18-2017 08:14 PM

I honestly wonder how many electronics I've returned as ''broken'' just because I couldn't figure out how they worked.

Barbarian 12-18-2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeniorCitizen007 (Post 20668760)
A rather dotty woman I know moved house. Her son dismantled many items of furniture, cupboards, etc ... carefully labelling the bolts and screws and so on. Everything was easily transported to the new address in an afternoon. However ... she'd thrown away the box the fittings were in ... to her it was just a box of junk.

No jury would convict him.

Tibby 12-18-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckdawrek (Post 20672437)

Sounds familiar. Except, in my case, I can't blame childhood ignorance—I was ~52yo when it happened to me.

[Wake up and look at clock]

...Damn, I'm late for work.

[Take quick shower, shave and grab a handful of granola on the way out to my car. Gotta gun it to work so I don't get too behind]

Jeez, the sky's getting pretty dark. Did I miss a storm warning or something? At least traffic is pretty light for rush hour. Where is everybody?

[Get to the clinic, realize I'm the first to arrive, disarm the alarm upon entering, go to my office to check charts of the days patients, then walk out to the reception area about 20 minutes later.]

Damn, where is my receptionist? Where is my office manager? Where are my patients?

[Look out the window. It's pitch black outside]

WTF, did I miss news of a total eclipse? Is this black-out the result of a massive ICBM attack that I somehow slept through?? Did the sun all of a sudden stop fusing hydrogen into helium (because, y'know, that would kinda suck)???

[Then, something dawns on me]

...Oh, crap! Is this PM or AM?

Turns out it was PM.

Oopsie, my bad. I drove back home to get a few more hours of shut-eye before AM. I didn't tell anybody about my idiotic mixup.

It was a long day.

ENugent 12-18-2017 11:38 PM

When I was pregnant with my second, I decided to grab some Starbucks after dropping off the first at daycare. I came out of Starbucks, reached in my pocket, and didn't feel my keys. Slightly alarmed, I started patting all my pockets and reaching in my purse, trying to find them. I was thinking, "Oh, crap, did I just lock my keys in my car?"

But when I got to my car, it wasn't locked. The keys were inside, in the ignition. The car was running. I had turned off the radio when I parked, and somehow in my mind that turned into turning off the ignition and I skipped that step. I was very lucky my car was still there.

septimus 12-19-2017 08:12 AM

Thanks for the thread! It's good to know I'm not alone. If I wracked my brain I could come up with many examples; I'd have to decide whether to pick stories for maximum humor, maximum embarrassment, or closest to fatality. Starting with innocuous: I once spent several minutes looking for my contact lens only to find it ... in my eye.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENugent (Post 20674335)
But when I got to my car, it wasn't locked. The keys were inside, in the ignition. The car was running. I had turned off the radio when I parked,...

I avoided this problem by making turning off engine, key removal and door opening a single joint operation. Locking by finger-push and door closing was also a single joint operation. So when I stopped the engine but remained sitting to think about my next move, I left the key inside ... where it remained when I finally opened the door.

I've only locked a car with keys inside twice in my life. The second time was a few minutes after paying a locksmith to open the car the first time: I then drove a short distance, parked and remained sitting to think about my folly before opening the door.

Not willing to risk a three-time loser "hat trick", I left the car locked and checked into a motel.

Pleonast 12-19-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by septimus (Post 20674684)
I once spent several minutes looking for my contact lens only to find it ... in my eye.

One evening with the family after a meal at a busy restaurant, we were packing up to go. I always double check our table for misplaced belongings. Signed the check. Got wallet and purse. Got diaper bag. Got jackets. Got kids... oh my god, where's the baby? I started looking around. Not in the high chair, not on a chair, not on the table (yeah, that sometimes happens), not crawling around. I was just starting to panic, when my spouse looked at me and said "you're holding him". :smack:

AHunter3 12-19-2017 12:54 PM

Ooh, I thought of another one!

I was starting grad school so I needed a car; an old beater suited my purposes fine so I bought one via the Pennysaver — a 1971 Toyota Corolla. Needed some work: I had to replace the alternator immediately or the battery would not charge. But for $200, sure. Fair enough.

Next day, I'm naturally taking it out for a test drive, using the flimsy excuse that I have to pick up some textbooks from my office. On the way back, I see the fuel gauge indicating car is thirsty, so I pull into the nearest service station.

Hmm, ** pulls on license plate ** nope, that's not it...

** walks along left side of car looking for filler cap **
** walks along right side of car looking for filler cap **

:dubious:

** drops to knees behind car, glances up hopefully at underbelly, looking for structural signs of pipe leading to a filler cap **

** walks around car slowly**

Bloody fucking hell, no wonder the damn car was being sold for only $200, there's no way to put gas in it!

... OK, let's see if you do any better. It's plainly visible in the photo I linked to.

cochrane 12-19-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHunter3 (Post 20675263)
Ooh, I thought of another one!

I was starting grad school so I needed a car; an old beater suited my purposes fine so I bought one via the Pennysaver — a 1971 Toyota Corolla. Needed some work: I had to replace the alternator immediately or the battery would not charge. But for $200, sure. Fair enough.

Next day, I'm naturally taking it out for a test drive, using the flimsy excuse that I have to pick up some textbooks from my office. On the way back, I see the fuel gauge indicating car is thirsty, so I pull into the nearest service station.

Hmm, ** pulls on license plate ** nope, that's not it...

** walks along left side of car looking for filler cap **
** walks along right side of car looking for filler cap **

:dubious:

** drops to knees behind car, glances up hopefully at underbelly, looking for structural signs of pipe leading to a filler cap **

** walks around car slowly**

Bloody fucking hell, no wonder the damn car was being sold for only $200, there's no way to put gas in it!

... OK, let's see if you do any better. It's plainly visible in the photo I linked to.

WAG: It's behind the piece of trim on the pillar behind the left rear window?

Urbanredneck 12-19-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 20669320)
Don't use a power drill to drill a board on your lap. That's all I'm saying about that.

Dont stick your finger under a running lawnmower to clear a grass clog - enough said, just dont!

TroutMan 12-19-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cochrane (Post 20675360)

Nah, the circle under the Corolla logo on the front side spins around.

gigi 12-19-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by septimus (Post 20674684)
Thanks for the thread! It's good to know I'm not alone. If I wracked my brain I could come up with many examples; I'd have to decide whether to pick stories for maximum humor, maximum embarrassment, or closest to fatality. Starting with innocuous: I once spent several minutes looking for my contact lens only to find it ... in my eye.

So, I was at the part of my eye exam when I put my lenses back in and sit back down for the final steps. I've done that and am thinking, but I still can't see??! I get back up and cross the room to the sink. One lens is still in the case :confused: and one is stuck to a piece of paper towel in the trash can.

I still don't understand what I thought I was doing when I was supposed to be putting my lenses back in.

AHunter3 12-19-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cochrane (Post 20675360)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroutMan (Post 20675412)
Nah, the circle under the Corolla logo on the front side spins around.

cochrane sussed it out.

I'd never seen a filler cap so high off the ground on a passenger car, and it looked like decorative trim akin to what zillions of other cars have. Just didn't occur to me that that could be it until someone showed me.