Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS) (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Boy, do I feel like an idiot (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=844867)

Sicks Ate 12-19-2017 02:13 PM

Drive side, inside door handle broke. So I scooted over the passenger seat and got out that way. Wow, how embarrassing, and it sucks that I'll have to do that EVERY TIME I get out if my car, right?

Took about two days to realize I could just roll down the window and grab the outside handle.

digs 12-19-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHunter3 (Post 20675426)
cochrane sussed it out.

I'd never seen a filler cap so high off the ground on a passenger car, and it looked like decorative trim akin to what zillions of other cars have. Just didn't occur to me that that could be it until someone showed me.

Would've fooled me, too. But I jumped in here to say "What a cool-looking car." I'm tempted to get one of those, or the original Honda Civic.

Ooh, that even made "James May's 12 cars that changed history"...

Cars that were ordinary at the time, but nowadays, when a Civic and a Corolla are trying to look like generic sedans, the classics would stand out.

Sicks Ate 12-19-2017 02:20 PM

Since I just made a bunch of chicken stock it reminded me of one time I made a sweet, sweet batch from the remains of two smoked chickens. Man, was I looking forward to using that for something delicious!

Time comes to strain it out, I set up my colander....over the sink, forgetting a bowl, and pour all of my beautiful stock down the drain :(

Max Torque 12-19-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicks Ate (Post 20675460)
Drive side, inside door handle broke. So I scooted over the passenger seat and got out that way. Wow, how embarrassing, and it sucks that I'll have to do that EVERY TIME I get out if my car, right?

Took about two days to realize I could just roll down the window and grab the outside handle.

You and my mother-in-law! (see post #80)

Sicks Ate 12-19-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Torque (Post 20675532)
You and my mother-in-law! (see post #80)

She strikes me as a charming and intelligent woman.

Filbert 12-19-2017 03:23 PM

AHunter3, you have my sympathy, when I rented a van to move house recently, I couldn't figure out how to refuel the damn thing either. Wound up in a mad panic at the pump because I had less than an hour to refuel it and return it to the other end of town...

It was inside the passenger door, if you want to know. It's the only time I've ever had to refuel a van, so maybe that's standard, but it confused the hell out of me.

gigi 12-19-2017 03:51 PM

:) I pulled into a gas station one time in a rental car and the tank was on the opposite from what I was used to. No problem, I'll just circle around to the other side of the pumps. My mom was with me thinking, hmmm... I get out and realize that won't help! I get back in car and we're cackling as I leave -- we can't stay here, too embarrassed!

wolfman 12-19-2017 04:03 PM

One more for me. About 15 years ago I rented a decent sized Penske box truck to move, and it was pretty old by then. When it got dark, I turned on the lights. The light indicator seemed to suggest I had brights on. But turning every knob I could see, feeling around for hidden knobs, and even kicking off my shoe to feel around the floor by sock, I never found a switch. I decided, maybe it was a rental truck thing, maybe there just wasn't a switch. After I hit traffic It became confirmed from honking, fingers, and a few people who even took the time to let me pass them, then pull in behind me and flood me with their brights, that I did indeed have my brights on.

Eventually I pulled off and searched the entire cab inch by inch, never found the damn thing. I finally decided fuck it, I'm behind schedule, and only planned to drive another two hours before grabbing a motel till morning, So I kept making new friends for the next couple hours, then finished in daylight the next day.

I really meant to ask when I turned the truck in. But with the preoccupation and moving into a new place, I completely forgot.

furryman 12-19-2017 04:09 PM

I don't know how many years I swallowed Listerine before I read the the label where it plainly says "do not swallow.":o

Urbanredneck 12-19-2017 04:20 PM

When camping when I approach my tent for some reason I fumble for my keys.

Beckdawrek 12-19-2017 04:32 PM

I have tried to change the tv channel lots of times with my cell phone. Used to do it with a cordless phone, a few years ago.

kayT 12-19-2017 04:35 PM

I used to try to make calls on my adding machine...

gigi 12-19-2017 04:39 PM

When working a paper crossword with pen, I think, I better save what I've done so far. I don't want to lose all this work.

I just got an iPad and downloaded some puzzle apps so this confusion will only intensify.

Graymalkin 12-19-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.E.S.K.Top668 (Post 20673986)
I'm almost 50 and I'm proud to say that I knew about the twisting thing to get the safety cap BEFORE this thread. I figured it out...about 2 months ago:smack::(

I still don't understand this deodorant problem. What brand are you talking about? Using your teeth to get the plastic thingie off each time you use it? What are you talking about?

Green Bean 12-19-2017 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbanredneck (Post 20675772)
When camping when I approach my tent for some reason I fumble for my keys.

I can't tell you how many times I've stood at my front door pressing the "unlock" button on my car key and wondering why it wasn't working.

deaftom 12-19-2017 10:09 PM

Many years ago, I had a VW Rabbit with a sunroof. One beautiful spring day, I went to a store somewhere downtown, and rolled down the front side windows and cranked open the sunroof to enjoy the mild sunny day. Arrived there, did a masterful job of parallel parking, then carefully raised the windows again to secure the car. Got out, set the doors to lock, then shut the driverís door. I took three steps, then paused: where were my car keys? Not in my pockets...oh, *&#$! Peered into the car, and my keys are still dangling from the ignition. After a few awful seconds of leaning against the car wondering what the hell to do (being deaf, calling somebody was not an option), I happened to notice that the sunroof...was still open. By heaving myself up onto the roof and dangling, body half in and half out of the sunroof, I managed to reach down and retrieve the keys. As my feet hit the sidewalk again, I noticed a cop looking at me suspiciously from his patrol car at the opposite curb. With a weak, apologetic smile, I waved the keys at him, and fortunately he didnít make an issue of it as I re-opened the VW, closed the sunroof, relocked the car (this time completely and with the keys on the outside), and slunk away in shame.

Johnny L.A. 12-19-2017 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graymalkin (Post 20676237)
I still don't understand this deodorant problem. What brand are you talking about? Using your teeth to get the plastic thingie off each time you use it? What are you talking about?

The anti-perspirants I use come in elliptical cylinders. They have an interior elliptical cover over the product, with a plastic tab on top. The consumer removes the interior cover and disposes of it, and covers the product with the plastic cap.

The interior covers may be difficult to remove. I've never used my teeth, though. I do remove them temporarily when I'm in the store so I can smell what the stuff smells like. If I ever have trouble removing an interior cover, I'll use the knob at the bottom of the container to push it off. Just not in the store. ;)

Back to gas caps. It is as recently as a couple of years ago that a woman at a gas station said she didn't know what side her filler port was. I looked at her dash and told her. Then I showed her the little arrow on the fuel gauge. I wonder how many people still don't know about that?

Beckdawrek 12-20-2017 12:27 AM

Wha??? Well that's news to me.

digs 12-20-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. (Post 20676377)
Back to gas caps. It is as recently as a couple of years ago that a woman at a gas station said she didn't know what side her filler port was. I looked at her dash and told her. Then I showed her the little arrow on the fuel gauge. I wonder how many people still don't know about that?

Every car I've ever owned in my fifty years of driving has had the gas cap on the driver's side. My current car does, too, but my wife's is on the passenger's side.
Thanks for the little arrow on the gas gauge, Buick, but I'm still pulling up to the pump wrong.

Procrustus 12-20-2017 09:08 AM

Called an electrican because two outlets stopped working. He showed us the switch that controls them.

burpo the wonder mutt 12-20-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digs (Post 20676669)
<snip> Thanks for the little arrow on the gas gauge, Buick... <snip> .

Not at all, you paid $300 bucks extra for it.

--Love, Buick.

:D

AHunter3 12-20-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Bean (Post 20676244)
I can't tell you how many times I've stood at my front door pressing the "unlock" button on my car key and wondering why it wasn't working.

** nods **

I went home without my little Torx screwdriver that I needed in order to work on an old laptop. "Oh, I installed remote control software, I can just remote in to the workplace desktop!", I realize, and I start congratulating myself on how well my contingency planning has handled such situations.

Then I'm staring at the remote-session window and wondering just exactly this was going to help me get that screwdriver. "Hmm, as an email attachment, maybe? Just click the paperclip icon and navigate to the physical desktop, right? Do you figure screwdrivers are binary, or plain text?"

Dinsdale 12-20-2017 01:52 PM

Here's a minor one, tho recent. Apologies that it takes too long to describe for insufficient payoff.

We were doing x-mas cards the other day. My wife puts some effort into making them look nice, which I appreciate. She addresses/signs hers, I do mine. We sat down at the table to do it one afternoon, and she said something like, "I'll stick on the return addresses and stamps."

So I get all huffy saying, "What, I'm too stupid to be trusted to stick on stamps?!" But if she wants to do it, fine.

After a while, she decides she's tired of it, and tells me to do the stamps/return addresses for mine.

I can't find the stamps online to link to them, but they were 4 winter scenes: a kid making a snow angel, someone putting a carrot nose on a snowman, 2 skaters, and I forget the 4th. Apparently my wife preferred the skaters and the other one, because the sheets I picked up were mainly snow angels with a couple of snowmen. I wasn't sure how the snow angel was supposed to be oriented, because there was no horizon or anything as a reference. But I realized they had the word "FOREVER" printed along the side. Being brilliant, I realized they were intended to be placed so that the word "FOREVER" was upright and legible.

Fine. Then I got to the snowmen. The word "FOREVER" was along a different side. So I oriented them "landscape" as opposed to the others which were "portrait," so you could read the word FOREVER. Then I came to a skaters stamp. When I went to stick it on in landscape orientation so the word FOREVER was correct, I realized that would have the skaters skating on their sides. Which couldn't be right. So I looked back at the snowman - the way I oriented them would have the snowman lying on its back, with the kid reaching in from the side, as opposed to reaching up which is the only thing that would have made sense... And, yeah, the snow angel would probably look better 90 degrees from the way I had.

So after acting all insulted, I had to admit to my wife that, yes, I AM too fucking stupid to do something as simple as affix a stamp correctly. What I like is that I wasn't simply not paying attention. I actually expended some considerable mental effort, to figure out how to do such a simple task clearly wrong. :smack:

Graymalkin 12-20-2017 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furryman (Post 20675748)
I don't know how many years I swallowed Listerine before I read the the label where it plainly says "do not swallow.":o

Now that was funny!

Graymalkin 12-20-2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. (Post 20676377)
The anti-perspirants I use come in elliptical cylinders. They have an interior elliptical cover over the product, with a plastic tab on top. The consumer removes the interior cover and disposes of it, and covers the product with the plastic cap.

The interior covers may be difficult to remove. I've never used my teeth, though. I do remove them temporarily when I'm in the store so I can smell what the stuff smells like. If I ever have trouble removing an interior cover, I'll use the knob at the bottom of the container to push it off. Just not in the store. ;)

Thanks, Johnny. I'm pretty stupid about everyday things most of the time, but this one STILL has me flummoxed.

needscoffee 12-20-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graymalkin (Post 20678046)
Thanks, Johnny. I'm pretty stupid about everyday things most of the time, but this one STILL has me flummoxed.

It's the innerseal that rests against the antiperspirant stick, under the lid. https://goo.gl/images/uWRkXh

elfkin477 12-20-2017 09:52 PM

Seasonal idiocy: I was quite deflated a few years back when I discovered only after a live Christmas tree was set up and decorated that those bags for them for clean up are supposed to be placed under them before you do anything else. It never occurred to me that they went under the tree skirt.

Filbert 12-21-2017 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigi (Post 20675806)
When working a paper crossword with pen, I think, I better save what I've done so far. I don't want to lose all this work.

I just got an iPad and downloaded some puzzle apps so this confusion will only intensify.

Ever tried to swipe to turn the page on a paper book?
'Cos, uhh.. a friend of mine does that sometimes.

Skara_Brae 12-21-2017 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filbert (Post 20678380)
Ever tried to swipe to turn the page on a paper book?
'Cos, uhh.. a friend of mine does that sometimes.

Iíve tapped on a word in a paper book, and then was puzzled for a moment when the definition didnít pop up.

Iíve also spread my fingers over an actual photograph, trying to make a part of it bigger.:smack:

cochrane 12-21-2017 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Procrustus (Post 20676674)
Called an electrican because two outlets stopped working. He showed us the switch that controls them.

Then the electrician said, "They'll be $60.05. Five cents for flipping the switch and $60.00 for knowing where it is."

gigi 12-21-2017 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elfkin477 (Post 20678142)
Seasonal idiocy: I was quite deflated a few years back when I discovered only after a live Christmas tree was set up and decorated that those bags for them for clean up are supposed to be placed under them before you do anything else. It never occurred to me that they went under the tree skirt.

It just occurred to me this year that it would be easier to put the tree skirt on BEFORE pulling the folded-up artificial branches down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinsdale
So after acting all insulted, I had to admit to my wife that, yes, I AM too fucking stupid to do something as simple as affix a stamp correctly.

I licked a Christmas card envelope this morning and it didn't stick. "Friggin Hallmark cheap ass card, OK, let me go find the scotch tape..." Luckily before doing all that, I noticed the paper over the ... self-adhesive strip.

Tibby 12-21-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by needscoffee (Post 20678091)
It's the innerseal that rests against the antiperspirant stick, under the lid. https://goo.gl/images/uWRkXh

Innerseal, you say?

Well, that explains why my antiperspirant stick has lasted for years without sloughing down. It may also explain why people back further and further away from me as time marches on.

Corner Case 12-21-2017 02:30 PM

I had thought of turning the dial of the deodorant to pop off the cap, but I felt the deodorant would get stuck when I tried to lower it back in, so I never tried that, thinking it was a misuse of the design.

I once rented a car, drove to my hotel, parked - and then spent the next 15 minutes trying to get the key out of the ignition! Gear set in Park. Steering wheel wiggled and clicked. Looked for a metal catch in the ignition slot, everything! Even tried to set the manual parking brake. I finally found that I had to press in a plastic cylinder on the underside of the steering column to release the key! How is that obvious?

In the 90's, a friend gave me a software copy of a child's puzzle game. I was more interested in the software and graphics than the game itself. It was so cool! It had a Claymation gumby-like figure that would walk around in a cave as you pressed the arrow keys. Others keys had it jump, or grasp, etc. to play the game. When I arrowed it off the screen into the next section, a beautiful rainbow appeared. As I arrowed, the pattern of lines would thicken in some lines, thin in others, and morph - like moving through a curtain. Pretty neat for the times! I couldn't figure out what more to do with the game, but could figure out that if I did, say, n right-arrows, I could do n left arrows and the cave scene would return. There were no instructions but I didn't care since this was just a quick copy of a game to check out the graphics. One day, I arrowed in a pattern of lefts and rights and suddenly there was a new scene! So, if you arrowed through the curtain just right, you could get to others places in the game. Great! So I started to make a map of the pattern of thick and thin lines and their colors so that I could determine where to go when I wanted to get from scene to scene. Fun, but exhausting, writing down all those combinations. Then playing another game some months later it dawned on me -- The rainbow parts were a video display using a video driver I didn't have. I was hand writing maps of video scan lines! :smack:

Johnny L.A. 12-21-2017 02:54 PM

Earlier in this thread, I said I'd pointed out the little arrow on the fuel gauge in her car, that indicates which side the filling port is on.

I happened to see this just now. :)

furryman 12-22-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cochrane (Post 20678503)
Then the electrician said, "They'll be $60.05. Five cents for flipping the switch and $60.00 for knowing where it is."

When the lights went out in one of my rooms I called my sister who's pretty handy.
She said. "Check the GFI switch."
"The FBI switch? The who, what, why switch?":confused:
Turned out I needed to reset my circuit breakers

DrForrester 12-22-2017 08:44 PM

My brother, a building contractor, tells me that approximately 1/3 of his work comes from repairing the work of others.

The other day, for reasons that I now find elusive, I needed to get my mailbox out of the larger brick superstructure in which it was encased. I thought that my car's tire jack would be absolutely the correct tool for this. Rather than push the mailbox forward & out, it pushed the brick structure apart on the rear, requiring a complete re-build of nearly half of the thing. About 2 days of labor & hundreds of dollars in parts & tools.

I was really irritated, but I got it all done. Perfectly. Then, to brag, I called my brother. He was good enough to listen to the entire story before laughing at me & telling me that I could've just installed a new spring. He explained how to do it in moments. It would've probably required 5 to 10 minutes.

This is why the new rule. He stays out of my lab. I stay away from the big boy tools.

DrDeth 12-23-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tibby or Not Tibby (Post 20678999)
Innerseal, you say?

Well, that explains why my antiperspirant stick has lasted for years without sloughing down. It may also explain why people back further and further away from me as time marches on.

:eek:

:):p:D:):D:p

Rocketeer 12-24-2017 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoBayer (Post 20669367)
When youíre installing a ceiling fan, who needs to be careful and go all the way over to the breaker box to turn off the circuit?

BTDT; I have a now-useless pair of wire cutters with a big melted divot in the jaws. An exciting moment!

TruCelt 12-26-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatopescado (Post 20670767)
I'm married.

Quote:

Originally Posted by needscoffee (Post 20678091)

That photo was a bit small on my computer screen, so I clicked on it trying to make it bigger. Took me to a "Lifehacks" type page, where a poster was suggesting using the nail clippers to grasp that hard-to-remove seal and yank it off. I guess s/he hasn't found the "push up the deodorant and it will come off easily" trick. LOL!

When Celtling was about four, our truck (A GMC Envoy) died, and I had to buy a sedan. Being a Mom now, I didn't have the extra income I'd had when I bought the truck, so had to do without a lot of the extras, like the remote trunk opening feature.

Hitting the little trunk open button before I got out of the car was something I just couldn't seem to remember. And the sedan had no handle to open the trunk like the truck had. So one day I'm grumbling as I walk back to the driver's seat to open the trunk. When I get back to the back of the car, Celtling points to the little round key hole on the trunk lid and asks, "But Mommy, what is this for?"

D'Oh! ! ! :smack:

robardin 12-26-2017 11:59 AM

I just turned 47 years old, and have an impeccable education: specialized high school, Ivy League college degree, I would even qualify (if I were to want to join for some reason) for the "Triple Nine Society" High IQ group by virtue of my long-ago SAT score.

And yet, this JUST happened to me this past weekend.

A friend of mine on Facebook posted a picture of his young daughter standing in front of their kitchen counter, with a tray full of what looked like colored sand or sugar, and the tops of candy canes poking out from it.

The text to go with the picture was something like, "having fun growing candy canes for the holidays!"

I showed it to my wife and speculated on what made the candy canes crystallize in an upwards fashion.

She looked at me to see if I was serious or not, then said, "I believe it's done with a little overnight help from the parents."

Oh... OH, now I see! D'OH!!!

I had never known this was A Thing, and assumed this was like those kits from when I was a kid where you could make rock candy crystallize onto sticks, but with advances gained over the past 30+ years.

No, it's a home craft kind of thing associated with the whole "Elf on a Shelf" business, which didn't exist when I was a kid, and we didn't do with ours.

I told her she missed her chance to really pull one over on me. She could have told me she would get a kit and show me how it worked, and had me plant the "candy seed" in the sugar, put a UV lamp or something on it, and then over a period of a few days, swap in increasingly larger segments of candy cands in there, while videoing me checking in on the progress. Given my assumptions and the fact that my wife, as a rule, is a totally see-through liar, I would not be surprised if I literally would not have realized what was actually going on until maybe 2 or 3 days later, well after your run of the mill toddler would have rolled his or her eyes.

Aspenglow 12-26-2017 01:29 PM

I have no shortage of these, Iím pained to admit. Here are a couple:

When I lived in California, I had a gimmicky little tchotchke called Earthquake in a Can. When sitting on a desk, it looked just like a regular canned item. But when you picked it up, some gizmo inside caused it to shimmy and quake like anything. Being a natural practical joker, I quite enjoyed watching the reactions of visitors to my office when they casually picked up the can and it did its thing.

When I left the job, I didnít disable the battery-operated mechanism, just shoved the can into a box along with my other personal items. Put the box in my trunk. Forgot about it.

A week or two later, I noticed a strange shimmy in the rear of the vehicle every time I made a left hand turn. It felt just like something mechanical had started to fail! I took the car to my trusty mechanic. It took him two days and the assistance of his son riding in the trunk of the car while he drove to discover the problem.

I paid him his hourly rate and changed mechanics, due to extreme embarrassment.

More recently, I purchased a rear tine rototiller for my gardens. I carefully studied the schematic on the machine that showed the gear configuration. Everything worked as pictured, except the reverse tine rotation. The tiller kept moving forward, not in reverse as I expected.

I called the dealerís service department and they kindly offered to send a fellow along after his regular work day to take a look. He ran the tiller through its paces and pronounced it was working perfectly. I pointed out that the tiller moved forward even when the tine rotation was set in reverse. Just as I said it, the penny dropped. What kind of idiot expects the tiller to move in reverse just because the tines are rotating in that direction? This idiot, thatís who.

All I know is, every time I stop by that tractor dealer, they always remember me.

Aspenglow, not an engineer.

Muffin 12-26-2017 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruCelt (Post 20686089)
So one day I'm grumbling as I walk back to the driver's seat to open the trunk. When I get back to the back of the car, Celtling points to the little round key hole on the trunk lid and asks, "But Mommy, what is this for?"

For 11 or under: "That's the trunk monkey baby doctor button we used when you were born."
For 12 or up: "That's the ejection seat button we used on your brother that you've never met."

Jennshark 12-27-2017 12:39 PM

I had my Jeep for two years before I figured out that the "horseshoe with flames" warning light was the tire pressure sensor alert. Apparently this symbol puzzles a lot of folk.

There was also a button that looked just like a mallard duck, I think it was a FWD assist.

My new BMW has a heads-up display (holographic speed, navigation, etc projected on windshield). This is our first winter together and I was delighted when a cute little snowflake started appearing - how sweet that the car was saying "happy winter!" Turns out it's a warning that it's cold enough to cause icy roads.

I could write an entire book on my struggles with Saran Wrap . . .

Johnny L.A. 12-27-2017 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennshark (Post 20687883)
This is our first winter together and I was delighted when a cute little snowflake started appearing - how sweet that the car was saying "happy winter!" Turns out it's a warning that it's cold enough to cause icy roads.

I have one of those on the (2005) Prius. I knew what it was though, because I read the owners manual. ;)

I have an annunciator in the Prius I call the 'slippy light'. It's actually the Traction Control Warning Light. It comes on about half a second after my butt tells me I've lost traction. Big help, Slippy Light!

HoneyBadgerDC 12-27-2017 05:17 PM

I replaced my toilet about 4 times in 20 years always going for bigger and more expensive because they never seemed to handle my waste without assist from a plunger. A few months ago I figured out that if I just hold the handle down a few seconds longer it won't be a problem. Just another example of problems I could have avoided if I wasn't always rushing.

Johnny L.A. 12-27-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerDC (Post 20688359)
I replaced my toilet about 4 times in 20 years always going for bigger and more expensive because they never seemed to handle my waste without assist from a plunger. A few months ago I figured out that if I just hold the handle down a few seconds longer it won't be a problem.

Or you could adjust the float so that the tank fills with more water.

wolfman 12-27-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. (Post 20688372)
Or you could adjust the float so that the tank fills with more water.

It doesn't really matter how much water is in The tank if you're only letting a splash of water into the bowl per load.

Cartooniverse 12-27-2017 07:37 PM

14 hours ago.......

.......I got up very early when my Dearly Belovedô awoke. I got bizzy cause there was Banana Bread to bake. Got to the butter, mashed the bananas, did the eggs. Stopped cold when I couldn't find the vanilla extract. Now, I'm not exactly an epicure when it comes to my vanilla. I use the artificial stuff. Because, hell, if I think Fresca tastes like grapefruit and banana-flavored Bonomo Turkish Taffy tastes like banana then hell, I can use the artificial stuff. Which is remarkably inexpensive next to the Gen Ewe Ine stuff.

I know we had a big bottle around. I know it. We'd made French Toast a few weeks ago, and making French Toast without using vanilla extract is a bit like making Pancakes and forgetting the flour. Well. Anyway.

I look. HARD. It's a very small NYC apartment kitchen. I look on the floor under the sideboard. I look in places this thing would have NO business being. No dice. I'm flummoxed and have to get some, because I'm not baking up 8 loaves of the aforementioned Banana Bread without it.

I go and buy. I come home. I walk up and glance into the sink. Which has two things sitting in it. One of which is the large bottle of vanilla extract. I'd put it in there after rinsing off something that was goopy on the outside of it. I'd done this about 20 minutes before I "couldn't find it".

It.Was.Right.There. :smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack::smack:

Cartooniverse 12-27-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. (Post 20688248)
I have one of those on the (2005) Prius. I knew what it was though, because I read the owners manual. ;)

I have an annunciator in the Prius I call the 'slippy light'. It's actually the Traction Control Warning Light. It comes on about half a second after my butt tells me I've lost traction. Big help, Slippy Light!

We have the 2010 model. Does the same thing. WTF??!!!!

Johnny L.A. 12-27-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartooniverse (Post 20688637)
We have the 2010 model. Does the same thing. WTF??!!!!

Well, it would be hard for it to indicate loss of traction before the event. ;)

I can only guess that it's for situations other than a momentary slip (e.g., icy conditions).