Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I forget, do we have a general HurricaneDitka Pit thread? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=846268)

foolsguinea 01-05-2018 07:15 PM

I forget, do we have a general HurricaneDitka Pit thread?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka (Post 20705707)
*shrug* it's done now, Trump fixed it, so it's not terribly relevant anymore.

There are Dopers who would say that bit of nonsense sarcastically. But no, you're really that silly.

So, what, your great Christian hero just undid the horrors of the Muslim usurper, so never mind what those horrors were? This is dumb.

JRDelirious 01-05-2018 07:20 PM

As to your Thread Title question, would this not count?

bobot 01-05-2018 07:26 PM

Yes, there was the one about him being full of shit. Perhaps there could be one about his predilection for posting only in forumses that guard against proper vitriolic responses.

Chisquirrel 01-06-2018 02:40 AM

Trump fixed things by deporting FEWER criminals, while promoting 17 different kinds of shitty? I'd ask him to "fix" my car, but I have no use for a hole in my driveway.

RitterSport 01-06-2018 09:53 AM

I just want to jump in to say that I oppose this pitting. HD has some bad posts, sure, but I think he mostly posts in good faith. Plus, I think he has moderated a lot since he first joined, not that long ago. He's still very conservative, but my impression is that he generally debates fairly, listens and responds to arguments, etc.

This place has few enough thoughtful conservatives and HD is one, or has become one anyway. In my view, he has stuck to his principles but has adjusted well to the generally civil tone of this board.

Reading this again, I wouldn't be surprised if he found this post to be super condescending. I really mean this in a defensive way, not a condescending way.

The Tooth 01-06-2018 09:54 AM

He supports torture for money.

Spice Weasel 01-06-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RitterSport (Post 20706654)
HD has some bad posts, sure, but I think he mostly posts in good faith. Plus, I think he has moderated a lot since he first joined, not that long ago. He's still very conservative, but my impression is that he generally debates fairly, listens and responds to arguments, etc

I agree with this. I feel this way about a lot of conservative posters that people hate. I want people I don't agree with to post here. But that doesn't mean nothing they (he) has said isn't Pitworthy.

Morgenstern 01-06-2018 10:23 AM

It's like we need a pit reason to pit Octopus' older brother? Seriously, they are from the same nest.

Bruce Wayne 01-06-2018 11:35 AM

Pit fail. Hurricane Ditka is smarter than the OP.

Shodan 01-06-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne (Post 20706835)

Talk about damning with faint praise...

Regards,
Shodan

foolsguinea 01-06-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

If he is, it does not show on this board.

Chimera 01-06-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Doubtful.

iiandyiiii 01-11-2018 07:56 AM

If there was any doubt if HurricaneDitka's support of Trump was related to possible sympathy for white supremacists and white supremacism:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka (Post 20716465)
I think Timothy McVeigh's actions were not an entirely unreasonable reaction to Ruby Ridge and Waco.

Not much doubt any more, ISTM.

Morgenstern 01-11-2018 08:53 AM

He definitely posted that for the effect.

Lemur866 01-11-2018 09:28 AM

And what would that effect be?

John Mace 01-11-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 20717264)
If there was any doubt if HurricaneDitka's support of Trump was related to possible sympathy for white supremacists and white supremacism:

I hope no one tries to get him to explain this. No good is going to come from that. Best to not feed.

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-11-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 20717264)

You have a very strong tendency to to look at things through a racial lens. But you need to appreciate that not everyone else does.

Procrustus 01-11-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

I think Timothy McVeigh's actions were not an entirely unreasonable reaction to Ruby Ridge and Waco.
Cite

I'm speechless

First, I don't have much sympathy for the guys at Waco. Ruby Ridge was a disaster, but shit happens sometimes. Neither, under any circumstances or any view of the facts, justify OK City Federal Building bombing.

iiandyiiii 01-11-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps (Post 20717562)
You have a very strong tendency to to look at things through a racial lens. But you need to appreciate that not everyone else does.

Most people that I've spoken to who have expressed a belief that black people (or Jews, or Mexicans, or some other ethnic/racial/etc. group) are inferior in some way (this is just an example -- I'm not aware of HD saying anything like this directly) don't actually believe they are racist, and are aghast if/when anyone says that anything they've said or done is racist. Sympathizing with/supporting a white supremacist mass murderer is "looking at things through a racial lens", whether one realizes it or not.

It's possible that HD is just trolling, and it's probably even possible that his sympathy for the motives and actions of a white supremacist mass murderer like McVeigh is unrelated to white supremacism, but the latter strikes me as unlikely enough to put into that little basket of things that are not really worth considering without really strong evidence.

Morgenstern 01-11-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps (Post 20717562)

Did you just call Andy4eyes a racist? I seriously doubt that is anywhere near the case.

iiandyiiii 01-11-2018 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 20717584)
Did you just call Andy4eyes a racist? I seriously doubt that is anywhere near the case.

That's not how I interpreted what he said. I took it as something like "quit making everything about race!"

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-11-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 20717570)
Sympathizing with/supporting a white supremacist mass murderer is "looking at things through a racial lens", whether one realizes it or not.

He didn't sign on to agree with McVeigh's entire worldview. He was discussing McVeigh's bombing, which AFAICT was primarily motivated by anti-government views and not white supremacism. Which is certainly what HD seemed to be assuming, at any rate, because the Waco incident had nothing to do with White supremacism.

pulykamell 01-11-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Procrustus (Post 20717564)
Cite

I'm speechless

First, I don't have much sympathy for the guys at Waco. Ruby Ridge was a disaster, but shit happens sometimes. Neither, under any circumstances or any view of the facts, justify OK City Federal Building bombing.

Ya know, I've always been okay with HD, but, wow. That really shades my opinion quite a bit.

Morgenstern 01-11-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps (Post 20717623)
He didn't sign on to agree with McVeigh's entire worldview. He was discussing McVeigh's bombing, which AFAICT was primarily motivated by anti-government views and not white supremacism. Which is certainly what HD seemed to be assuming, at any rate, because the Waco incident had nothing to do with White supremacism.

Occam's Razor says the answer is trolling.

iiandyiiii 01-11-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

IMO, ignoring or failing to see open white supremacism is just as much "looking at things through a racial lens" as pointing it out.

But trolling seems just as likely to me, based on various other posts of his that strike me as probable trolling.

Lemur866 01-11-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Aside from that Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?

John Mace 01-11-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mace (Post 20717550)
I hope no one tries to get him to explain this. No good is going to come from that. Best to not feed.

Quote:

Like I said-- no good is going to come from this.

Lemur866 01-11-2018 12:31 PM

I agree that any of our resident right-wingers who want to try defending Tim McVeigh aren't going to have that work out so well for them.

And limiting yourself to defending the defenders of Tim McVeigh? That isn't going to work so well either. Playing defense attorney for admirers of Tim McVeigh is a fool's errand. This isn't a court of law, Tim McVeigh's admirers aren't your clients, you do not have a professional obligation to zealously defend them.

Let the people who admire Tim McVeigh defend themselves. You don't have to do it for them.

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-11-2018 12:53 PM

I don't know that HD is an admirer of TM, having merely said that his actions were not an "entirely unreasonable reaction". But leaving that aside, I've not defended HD - I've simply disputed a racial interpretation of his words.

I realize this may be too nuanced for certain people here, and am not inclined to repeat this over and over again, so I'll probably leave it at this.

iiandyiiii 01-11-2018 01:02 PM

If McVeigh had been a large-scale vandal, or hacked into government systems and scrambled thousands of man-hours of work, or similar, then perhaps one could have a reasonable discussion about whether his actions were in any way reasonable. But he was a mass murderer of men, women, and children -- and white supremacism (in particular the Turner Diaries, based on my reading) was fundamental to his ideology. It's both unreasonable to feel that the bombing was in any way reasonable, and it's unreasonable to believe that it didn't have anything to do with white supremacism. IMO.

But I'll put the likelihood that he's trolling as just as high as the likelihood he's a tolerator or sympathizer of white supremacism.

Spice Weasel 01-11-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 20717825)
It's both unreasonable to feel that the bombing was in any way reasonable, and it's unreasonable to believe that it didn't have anything to do with white supremacism. IMO.

I don't see where the latter follows, honestly. It's possible to believe terrorism is an understandable response to Waco without believing in the racist ideologies of the particular terrorist who did it. The opinion is repugnant enough as stated without reading things into it.

iiandyiiii 01-11-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spice Weasel (Post 20717874)
I don't see where the latter follows, honestly. It's possible to believe terrorism is an understandable response to Waco without believing in the racist ideologies of the particular terrorist who did it. The opinion is repugnant enough as stated without reading things into it.

When I stack on various other positions of the poster in question, it seems less and less likely that sympathy or tolerance for white supremacism isn't a part of it. Possible, but pretty unlikely, ISTM.

Or trolling, which seems just as likely, IMO.

k9bfriender 01-11-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

If McVeigh had been a large-scale vandal, or hacked into government systems and scrambled thousands of man-hours of work, or similar, then perhaps one could have a reasonable discussion about whether his actions were in any way reasonable. But he was a mass murderer of men, women, and children -- and white supremacism (in particular the Turner Diaries, based on my reading) was fundamental to his ideology. It's both unreasonable to feel that the bombing was in any way reasonable, and it's unreasonable to believe that it didn't have anything to do with white supremacism. IMO.

But I'll put the likelihood that he's trolling as just as high as the likelihood he's a tolerator or sympathizer of white supremacism.

I dunno. I see virtually no difference between that statement and "I think Osama Bin Laden's actions were not an entirely unreasonable reaction to Iraq."

I disagree with both. While I can see how the events of one led to the other, it is only through irrationality and unreasonable "logic", that one justifies murdering civilians in response to some perceived slight by a government power.

At the same time, while I would disagree entirely with someone who opined in that fashion, I wouldn't think that they agreed with the taliban's goals of creating a caliphate.

nightshadea 01-11-2018 02:48 PM

the mc veigh argument reminds me of why a few people I knew opposed desert storm 1 because supposedly Kuwait owed Iraq a large amount of cash and they looked at the invasion like a car repossession... and wondered why we were getting involved in someone else's financial dispute

John Mace 01-11-2018 04:33 PM

He also has a tremendous amount of concern regarding Democrats.

WillFarnaby 01-12-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 20717570)
Most people that I've spoken to who have expressed a belief that black people (or Jews, or Mexicans, or some other ethnic/racial/etc. group) are inferior in some way (this is just an example -- I'm not aware of HD saying anything like this directly) don't actually believe they are racist, and are aghast if/when anyone says that anything they've said or done is racist. Sympathizing with/supporting a white supremacist mass murderer is "looking at things through a racial lens", whether one realizes it or not.

It's possible that HD is just trolling, and it's probably even possible that his sympathy for the motives and actions of a white supremacist mass murderer like McVeigh is unrelated to white supremacism, but the latter strikes me as unlikely enough to put into that little basket of things that are not really worth considering without really strong evidence.

When people join the US military, which has murdered many millions of innocent non-“whites”, it is hard to take them seriusly when they lament white supremacy.

The US military is basically a white supremacist organization with access to stolen money and deadlier weapons. This point has been made much clearer after 9/11 for the thinking citizenry of the world. Anyone who has joined the military after 9/11 is on average much worse than WWII era German soldiers because most of those guys were conscripted slaves. Today’s military is voluntarily murderous.

WillFarnaby 01-12-2018 11:02 AM

“I think people who joined the US military after 9/11 were not entirely unreasonable in their reaction to the events of 9/11.”

Do you agree with this statement Andy?

GIGObuster 01-12-2018 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillFarnaby (Post 20719574)
“I think people who joined the US military after 9/11 were not entirely unreasonable in their reaction to the events of 9/11.”

Do you agree with this statement Andy?

I agree that that and your post before are false dilemmas.

WillFarnaby 01-12-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGObuster (Post 20719623)
I agree that that and your post before are false dilemmas.

No the dilemma in Andy’s head is quite real.

Vinyl Turnip 01-12-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mace (Post 20718304)
He also has a tremendous amount of concern regarding Democrats.

Nothing stains more conservative pillows with tears, other than maybe their deep, heartfelt concern over gang violence in the South Side of Chicago, triggered every time there's a mass shooting somewhere else.

Morgenstern 01-12-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillFarnaby (Post 20719559)
When people join the US military, which has murdered many millions of innocent non-“whites”, it is hard to take them seriusly when they lament white supremacy.

The US military is basically a white supremacist organization with access to stolen money and deadlier weapons. This point has been made much clearer after 9/11 for the thinking citizenry of the world. Anyone who has joined the military after 9/11 is on average much worse than WWII era German soldiers because most of those guys were conscripted slaves. Today’s military is voluntarily murderous.

I hadn't noticed you before.

GIGObuster 01-12-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillFarnaby (Post 20719656)

piffle.

Go ahead and deny that a lot of the strawman that you are making was changed decades ago by Harry S. Truman.

So you only made yourself to be an ignoramus of history, want to make it worse? Please proceed governor...

Procrustus 01-12-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 20719669)

Yeah, that was quite a post. I wonder if we're missing an attempt at satire or something.

iiandyiiii 01-12-2018 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillFarnaby (Post 20719656)

Whatever nonsense/fantasyland stuff you're talking about, it has nothing to do with this thread; if you want to start a new thread about your whackjob nutty views about the world, feel free, but I feel no need to indulge your wackiness in this one.

Morgenstern 01-12-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Procrustus (Post 20719682)
Yeah, that was quite a post. I wonder if we're missing an attempt at satire or something.

I'm giving him the benefit for a very short minute here. If he's equating those who serve their country with those who seek to violently destroy it, then things might change quickly here. I'm hoping it's satire.

eschereal 01-12-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 20719720)
I'm giving him the benefit for a very short minute here. If he's equating those who serve their country with those who seek to violently destroy it, then things might change quickly here. I'm hoping it's satire.

probably not satire

Spice Weasel 01-12-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

I thought he was Der Trihs!

iiandyiiii 01-12-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

It could just be his beef with me. He's been saying hateful things about me personally for a long time on this board.

Sunny Daze 01-12-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

WillF crawls out specifically to spew his hatred in threads where he can get in random digs at liberals. I believe he's racist and that he has some mighty strange views on the Civil War. I'll have to look for those threads. I might be mis-remembering that bit.

Lemur866 01-12-2018 02:09 PM

Will is a hardcore anarchocapitalist who believes that the United States went to hell in 1788 when the fascists overturned the Articles of Confederation, then it went to hell again in 1865 when the fascists won the Civil War, then it went to hell again in 1935 when the fascists implemented the New Deal, then it went to hell again in 1964 when the fascists passed the Civil Rights act.

Sunny Daze 01-12-2018 02:12 PM

Thank you.

QuickSilver 01-12-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Oh, you trolling wanker. Fuck right off. :rolleyes:

Doyle 01-12-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Wasn't McVeigh's accomplice, Terry Nichols, married to an Asian?

QuickSilver 01-12-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doyle (Post 20720177)
Wasn't McVeigh's accomplice, Terry Nichols, married to an Asian?

I hear they had a Jew lawyer. So they couldn't be racists. Right?

John Mace 01-12-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemur866 (Post 20720028)
Will is a hardcore anarchocapitalist who believes that the United States went to hell in 1788 when the fascists overturned the Articles of Confederation, then it went to hell again in 1865 when the fascists won the Civil War, then it went to hell again in 1935 when the fascists implemented the New Deal, then it went to hell again in 1964 when the fascists passed the Civil Rights act.

Damn. We need someone to make America great again!

QuickSilver 01-12-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mace (Post 20720186)
Damn. We need someone to make America great again!

Oprah.

Gary Kumquat 01-12-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

For the benefit of those of us who aren't fluent in fuckwit what does non-“whites” mean. Do the airquotes make a double negative with the "non", or reinforce it, or something else?

WillFarnaby 01-12-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGObuster (Post 20719681)
piffle.

Go ahead and deny that a lot of the strawman that you are making was changed decades ago by Harry S. Truman.

So you only made yourself to be an ignoramus of history, want to make it worse? Please proceed governor...

I’m curious how Harry Truman, Dropper of Atom Bombs On Japanese Innocents, makes you think the US military had given up on shoving white supremacy down the throats of millions of innocent non-“whites”.

A think piece from Vox will not satisfy my curiosity, so maybe I’m asking the wrong person.

Morgenstern 01-12-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillFarnaby (Post 20720477)
I’m curious how Harry Truman, Dropper of Atom Bombs On Japanese Innocents, makes you think the US military had given up on shoving white supremacy down the throats of millions of innocent non-“whites”.

A think piece from Vox will not satisfy my curiosity, so maybe I’m asking the wrong person.

This clown is a full circus short of a pantload.

WillFarnaby 01-12-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Procrustus (Post 20719682)

You’re probably missing something, but not that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 20719709)
Whatever nonsense/fantasyland stuff you're talking about, it has nothing to do with this thread; if you want to start a new thread about your whackjob nutty views about the world, feel free, but I feel no need to indulge your wackiness in this one.

You trot out white supremacy whenever someone doesn’t fall into your quite narrow conception of the American political spectrum, but do not actually care about the damage your organization has done to the people of color around the world.

Quote:

Anyone who joins the military does so because of ignorance, malice, or ambition. If they are ignorant at the beginning, I doubt they remain so, therefore they fall into the other two categories after awhile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spice Weasel (Post 20719779)
I thought he was Der Trihs!

No I advocate non-violence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 20719796)
It could just be his beef with me. He's been saying hateful things about me personally for a long time on this board.

You decided to out yourself as a person who benefits from state violence. Your choice. You decided to speak of others’ white supremacy. Your choice. It takes some balls for someone in your position to play victim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny Daze (Post 20720017)
WillF crawls out specifically to spew his hatred in threads where he can get in random digs at liberals. I believe he's racist and that he has some mighty strange views on the Civil War. I'll have to look for those threads. I might be mis-remembering that bit.

I could get random digs at liberals in any thread. They are quite open to ridicule.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemur866 (Post 20720028)

Yes they were all bad things.

I guess you believe with each of those events the US inched closer to its divine destiny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickSilver (Post 20720176)
Oh, you trolling wanker. Fuck right off. :rolleyes:

If only it was that easy to handwave decades of state slaughter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Kumquat (Post 20720203)
For the benefit of those of us who aren't fluent in fuckwit what does non-“whites” mean. Do the airquotes make a double negative with the "non", or reinforce it, or something else?

Whiteness is an artificial construct. It has changed significantly over time. For example, President Wilson believed that Germans were not white enough to escape his crosshairs. Trump is cool with the Germans, but watch out Koreans and Iranians.

WillFarnaby 01-12-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 20720513)
This clown is a full circus short of a pantload.

Are you in the military?

“Remember, pillage before burning”

If so, am I hitting close to home for you? Did you join out of ignorance, malice, or ambition?

Lemur866 01-12-2018 06:03 PM

Is this the first time someone hijacked a pit thread about someone else and insisted that the pit thread should be about them, instead?

How much did HurricaneDitka pay you to take the heat, Will? Show us on the doll where he touched you.

Spice Weasel 01-12-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemur866 (Post 20720525)
Is this the first time someone hijacked a pit thread about someone else and insisted that the pit thread should be about them, instead?

How much did HurricaneDitka pay you to take the heat, Will? Show us on the doll where he touched you.

He seems to be succeeding.

WillFarnaby 01-12-2018 06:09 PM

I thought I had made it about the US military, but of course, this board being populated by liberals, there is significant worship of the government henchmen.

eschereal 01-12-2018 06:20 PM

See, being a tedious, dogmatic shithead is not a way to actually win arguments or entice others to ponder your ideas. You just end up stuffed into everybody's “FRAGILE” carton.

Spice Weasel 01-12-2018 06:20 PM

Liberals are known for worshipping the military? What?

Morgenstern 01-12-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillFarnaby (Post 20720522)
Are you in the military?

“Remember, pillage before burning”

If so, am I hitting close to home for you? Did you join out of ignorance, malice, or ambition?

Not in the military, but I'm thankful for those who have served and are serving. If it wasn't for them, assholes like you couldn't rant like a madman on the internet.

Morgenstern 01-12-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spice Weasel (Post 20720565)

And you thought SamuelA had an imagination.

WillFarnaby 01-12-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Of course. Wilson to FDR to LBJ to Obama.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 20720571)
Not in the military, but I'm thankful for those who have served and are serving. If it wasn't for them, assholes like you couldn't rant like a madman on the internet.

The Heroes make enemies for me mission after mission. Nobody would want to hurt me if it wasn’t for their lust for adventure.

Who would stop me? None of the people slaughtered by the Heroes could ever do anything serious to me or any other person in the country.

Lol. Your world is one of great paranoia.

WillFarnaby 01-12-2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschereal (Post 20720563)
See, being a tedious, dogmatic shithead is not a way to actually win arguments or entice others to ponder your ideas. You just end up stuffed into everybody's “FRAGILE” carton.

I’m fragile for speaking unpopular truths to people I know will hate me for it? No the fragile ones hold on to their ideological belief in state violence because questioning it would shatter their world.

bobot 01-12-2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Haven't you seen all those liberals at Nascar events making a giant fucking production of the National Anthem? With their liberal stealth bombers flying over, and their liberal country stars sangin' the anthem? (With a prayer to Jesus, of course. Oh Jesus, if one of these drivers ends up crushed in the wall, please don't let any car parts decapitate a spectator, amen, Jesus.)

Sunny Daze 01-12-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillFarnaby (Post 20720596)
The Heroes make enemies for me mission after mission. Nobody would want to hurt me if it wasn’t for their lust for adventure.

Who would stop me? None of the people slaughtered by the Heroes could ever do anything serious to me or any other person in the country.

Whose WillF translation box is working? Mine is broken.

Morgenstern 01-12-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillFarnaby (Post 20720596)
Of course. Wilson to FDR to LBJ to Obama.

You've got more loose screws than an old Dodge.

bobot 01-12-2018 06:53 PM

nm

iiandyiiii 01-12-2018 07:06 PM

Hopefully you're a happy and non-insane person in real life, WillF. On this board, there's no point in engaging with you, since you're constantly enraged and incoherent, in addition to your fantasies of psychic abilities.

Best wishes and happiness to you and your family!

Ravenman 01-12-2018 07:16 PM

Before anyone actually takes anything WillFarnaby has written in this thread as something that should be given any thought, so say nothing of a reasonable response, let’s just remember that in his world, Abraham Lincoln is a war criminal and Donald Trump was “the peace candidate.”

Just think about that for a few minutes, then we can all just get on with our lives without getting involved in this freak show of politics.

elucidator 01-12-2018 07:17 PM

Salty as a bag of Doritos, half the nutrition.

eschereal 01-12-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny Daze (Post 20720610)
Whose WillF translation box is working? Mine is broken.

No, yours is working fine. You will know it is broken when the output start to make sense.

begbert2 01-12-2018 07:32 PM

I have no fondness whatsoever for the military, or its 'heroes', but this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by WillFarnaby (Post 20720518)
Anyone who joins the military does so because of ignorance, malice, or ambition. If they are ignorant at the beginning, I doubt they remain so, therefore they fall into the other two categories after awhile.

is just so spectacularly stupid that even I can't let it pass.

Most people who join the military do so because it's a paying job that they've been told will teach them skills for free while letting them help their country.

You could, in theory, argue that it requires ignorance to believe that being a member of the military helps the country. You can't possibly make a sane argument that wanting a paying job or free skills training is evil, and you can't make any sort of coherent argument whatsoever that malice or ambition has anything to do with it at all. That's just crazy.

Look, I don't think there's anything praiseworthy about being a soldier, but it's mouth-frothingly deranged to claim you have to be some kind of demon to want to be one. Stuff like that gives you so much credibility that if you told me it was sunny outside I'd grab an umbrella.

Chimera 01-12-2018 07:39 PM

There's a reason I have this guy on Ignore, and it is demonstrated every time he posts.

You're wasting your energy trying to engage him.

begbert2 01-12-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 20720707)
There's a reason I have this guy on Ignore, and it is demonstrated every time he posts.

Whenever you see me making a calm attempt to correct someone that also calls them stupid and crazy, you may feel free to infer that I'm not all that invested in them changing their mind. If I really want to change somebody's mind, I don't try to lure them with vinegar.

elucidator 01-12-2018 07:55 PM

You get more flies with honey than with vinegar. Shit works best, of course....

eschereal 01-12-2018 08:39 PM

Thank you for that: I have been striving diligently to make the flies go away and here you are encouraging people to attract them. What the hell do I want with flies?

Chimera 01-12-2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschereal (Post 20720803)
What the hell do I want with flies?

That's always been my answer to the flies/honey claim.

But my post was really meant as an 'in general' thing, not aimed at begbert2.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. You'll also make the rest of us wade through pages of that shit looking to see if there might be a different conversation hidden in the weeds.

wolfpup 01-13-2018 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 20720707)

I don't have WillFarnaby on ignore because I have very, very few posters on ignore. You never know when you might miss out on something entertaining and unintentionally humorous.

I must admit that I even respond to him sometimes, because I can't resist the easy mark, like a putdown against an annoying four-year old that you happen to dislike intensely. I don't actually engage with him on an ongoing basis for the reason you imply. He's not so much an extreme ideologue as he is a mental patient, the kind of psychopath that might be found on a street-corner soapbox.

eschereal 01-13-2018 12:20 AM

Putting someone like WillFarnaby on ignore is like using that hand sanitizer: if you avoid exposure to pathogens, you will be ill-equipped to deal with them when you have to.

Derleth 01-13-2018 03:52 AM

Quote:

Eh. If you're so far Left you think Chomsky is a simpering pinko who has no taste for TRUE COMMUNISM, then Leftist means, basically, in favor of such madness as voting and compromise and individual liberties as opposed to Democratic Centralism or, you know, screaming at people about how Anarchism is so a grown-up political philosophy and we must implement it RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW WAAAAH!

Seriously: The fastest way to get a true, stone Leftist to screech at you is to call them a Liberal.

Which means WillFarnaby is an Ultra-Left agitator, somewhere out beyond the merely Wobbly and into the Fell Over territory.

Alessan 01-13-2018 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derleth (Post 20721172)
Seriously: The fastest way to get a true, stone Leftist to screech at you is to call them a Liberal.

As my Dad once explained to me: radicals want to free the slaves; liberals want to improve their working conditions.

Morgenstern 01-13-2018 10:24 AM

Trolls like this make you really appreciate good old SamuelA's efforts. Sammy took more than one post to piss people off and even then, you didn't know if you were pissed or sympathetic,

Chimera 01-13-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derleth (Post 20721172)

Perhaps your right wing echo chamber makes you think this is a deadly insult. God knows you people have spent 10 year or more trying to make it a swear word. :rolleyes:

But "Liberal" is a label I wear proudly. :D

Mr. Nylock 01-13-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 20721415)
Trolls like this make you really appreciate good old SamuelA's efforts. Sammy took more than one post to piss people off and even then, you didn't know if you were pissed or sympathetic,

I was amused and sympathetic.

eschereal 01-13-2018 12:10 PM

I have to wonder if HD is paying these people to make posts that make him look less irrational.

Blank Slate 01-13-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschereal (Post 20721041)
Putting someone like WillFarnaby on ignore is like using that hand sanitizer: if you avoid exposure to pathogens, you will be ill-equipped to deal with them when you have to.

Why would you even want to put him on ignore? It's comedy gold, intentionally or not.

eschereal 01-13-2018 02:55 PM

Gold? No, more like Comedy Pewter.

Ravenman 01-13-2018 03:06 PM

More like comedy mercury. It will eventually drive you insane.

Tamerlane 01-13-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 20721465)
Perhaps your right wing echo chamber makes you think this is a deadly insult.

I'm fairly certain Derleth isn't on the right( though maybe I'm misremembering ). Regardless he is quite correct. The far left( Marxists in particular )do consider "liberal" to be an insult. I should know, I have some in the family ;). Here's a classic sarcastic example from Phil Ochs.

Derleth 01-13-2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 20721465)
Perhaps your right wing echo chamber makes you think this is a deadly insult. God knows you people have spent 10 year or more trying to make it a swear word. :rolleyes:

If you self-describe as a Liberal, not only was I not talking about you, I likely have more in common with you than you likely suspect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamerlane (Post 20721826)
I'm fairly certain Derleth isn't on the right( though maybe I'm misremembering ). Regardless he is quite correct. The far left( Marxists in particular )do consider "liberal" to be an insult. I should know, I have some in the family ;). Here's a classic sarcastic example from Phil Ochs.

Right. Or, well, correct, although to a Burn The World Revolutionary Socialist, I am on the Right, politically, because I'm not a utopian, I'm not an idealist* or someone else who thinks that the world is spinning along a fore-ordained path made of either holy dogma or dialectical materialism. I want policies and governance, and I regard a revolutionary zeal as infantile, a way of dodging the hard problems of compromise and, more generally, dealing with people you disagree with peacefully. I'm a Progressive, in that I want accelerated social progress and do not view groups different from mine as inherently impure or dangerous, but I don't pretend to have a master plan and I certainly don't intend to follow anyone who claims to.

*(Another word some of the Extreme Left have turned into an insult. To be fair, calling something "idealist" was quite the grave insult in the USSR. Everything had to be practical and pragmatic. You know, like Lysenkoism.)

Of course, I'm an American. Most of the important infantile revolutionaries in my country are self-described Conservatives, right in the mold of Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich and the rest of the Conservative Movement.

(But in a broader historical sense, the entirety of the mainstream political spectrum in America is Liberal in the sense of broadly being Free Trade-ish Capitalist Republican, often with Welfare State characteristics, instead of Mercantilist Divine-Right Monarchist. The United States of America was founded on strong Liberal values, and the American Revolution was a Liberal revolution. Tell that to a self-described American Conservative today and you just might make their head explode.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessan (Post 20721182)
As my Dad once explained to me: radicals want to free the slaves

... right into the gulag.

Tamerlane 01-13-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derleth (Post 20722445)
I am on the Right, politically, because I'm not a utopian, I'm not an idealist* or someone else who thinks that the world is spinning along a fore-ordained path made of either holy dogma or dialectical materialism.

If you held a gun to my head right at this moment, I'm not sure I could come up with a universal definition of political "left" vs. "right" that I'd be 100% comfortable with. But whatever nervous gibberish I did spit out as you cocked the hammer, I doubt either idealism or utopianism would figure into it.

I mean both communits and radical libertarians are utopian. And earnest young neoconservatives can be just as idealist as earnest young left anarchists.

Chimera 01-14-2018 12:04 AM

I may be a Liberal, but as I have said (in many variations) on this board repeatedly;

"If your Ideology requires people to not be Human, then your ideology won't work."

Communism (the ideal) requires people who are not Humans, since Human Nature doesn't work the way the ideology assumes.

Star Trek Utopianism is also bullshit for the same reasons.

I feel the same way about American Conservatism. It requires some really odd beliefs about how humans can and should act that just don't fit Human Nature. All the more so when I see people espousing and demanding that people act in ways the people making the demands do not act.

Derleth 01-14-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamerlane (Post 20722538)
If you held a gun to my head right at this moment, I'm not sure I could come up with a universal definition of political "left" vs. "right" that I'd be 100% comfortable with. But whatever nervous gibberish I did spit out as you cocked the hammer, I doubt either idealism or utopianism would figure into it.

I mean both communits and radical libertarians are utopian. And earnest young neoconservatives can be just as idealist as earnest young left anarchists.

You cut an important part of my sentence, but you picked up on an important point in my diatribe.

:D

Increasingly, my first-cut division in political matters is Idealistic (or, when I'm feeling less charitable, Teleological) versus Pragmatic: Does this person believe the world is governed by a Big Theory? Will this person deign to talk to those they disagree with? Is this person capable of governing? Because governing is the process of compromising grand ideas to get measurable victories. If you can't do that, you lose and lose and lose until you fade away or go to war, at which point you've given your movement over to the killers, who are infinitely more pragmatic than even the most pragmatic politicians because pure ideology is a poor meal and a worse hand grenade.

In extremis, it's a decision between humans as they are now and trying to bootstrap Humanity 2.0, Now With Less Bad Stuff! And, of course, getting from humans-as-they-are to humans-as-they-should-be never involves, you know, not killing people, that would be ridiculous.

I should note that being an Idealist and being an Ideologue are not quite the same thing. An Ideologue is simply fixated on an idea, but is possibly willing to compromise on their way to implementing it. An Ideologue who's good at governing can be effective, and can do quite a lot of damage or quite a lot of good, depending on what you think of their fixed idea. An Idealist relates everything back to their Big Theory, so any compromise looks like a defeat to them. The stupidest things become purity tests, and woe betide anyone who fails.

Pragmatists cluster around the center of the spectrum, because that's where the action is, and that's where decisions happen. So, in the converse of the Narcissism of Small Differences, which involves emphasizing the small distinctions of groups similar to yours, you get the Myopia for Distant Differences, or the false conclusion that all groups distant from you are homogeneous. Therefore, to someone out in the Trump Swamp, I'm a Liberal CommieSocialist Eurofag Pinko, and to someone in the Marx Mire, I'm a Fascist Republican Brownshirt.

k9bfriender 01-14-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derleth (Post 20723412)
Therefore, to someone out in the Trump Swamp, I'm a Liberal CommieSocialist Eurofag Pinko, and to someone in the Marx Mire, I'm a Fascist Republican Brownshirt.

So, that makes you a Libafascist Compublican Pinkshirt?

Derleth 01-14-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9bfriender (Post 20723509)
So, that makes you a Libafascist Compublican Pinkshirt?

There are people who will, to this day, go to the mat for the idea that the Nazis were a Leftist group. I've seen two arguments to this effect:

First Argument: "It's in the name, innit? National SOCIALISM, innit? Ah-ha! You can't fool me, with your fancy facts!"

Second Argument: "Big government is a feature of Leftist regimes. The most Right-wing political philosophy is Anarchism, so the most Left-wing philosophy is Dictatorship. My political worldview begins circa 1980, and is entirely limited to one or, maybe, two countries."

The underlying argument is a complete inability to look at context, which is the fact that the Nazis and Fascism in general were reactions to Marxism and a perceived social decline in the wake of the First World War, the fact the elements of the Nazi Party that wanted to reform the economy (the Strasserists) were forced out in the Night of the Long Knives, and the simple fact that Right governments have often been Dictatorships, when they weren't Absolute Monarchies.

Underlying the underlying is their eternal desire to poke at Leftists, no matter how ignorant and stupid they must become to do so.

Chimera 01-14-2018 11:08 PM

Just as the official name of North Korea, the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" is factually correct only in the last word.

gaffa 01-15-2018 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elucidator (Post 20720733)
You get more flies with honey than with vinegar. Shit works best, of course....

I laughed out loud.

HMS Irruncible 01-15-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

WillFarnaby is a nutjob, but ever after 9/11 both liberals and conservatives have tried to outdo each other with public expression of piety over The Troops as political cover for some other agenda. This is just my view, but liberals seem especially eager to overcompensate for the historical perception that they're against the military. And of course, nobody is allowed to criticize The War without first gushing over how they love The Troops.

(disclaimer: am former Troop, do not care if you love me).

Translucent Daydream 01-15-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible (Post 20725118)

But thanks for serving. You could suck as a person in real life, but thanks for signing up to be a troop.

You don’t seem to suck.

eschereal 01-15-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

You used to be a bunch of people?

HMS Irruncible 01-15-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschereal (Post 20725204)

You seem confused about something. 9 seconds of Googling should help you clear that up.

ElvisL1ves 01-15-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschereal (Post 20725204)

That's a troupe.

madmonk28 01-15-2018 06:45 PM

Holy shit, Ditka’s stupid.

Sherrerd 01-15-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Troop, or troop ship?

Vinyl Turnip 01-15-2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmonk28 (Post 20726018)

Valiant attempt to steer the thread back onto its rails. The feigned surprise is a bit much, though, considering.

eschereal 01-15-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmonk28 (Post 20726018)

Apparently he takes his username from a former football coach who is a fucking asswit.

running coach 01-15-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschereal (Post 20726270)
Apparently he takes his username from a former football coach who is a fucking asswit.

And a blowhard.

septimus 01-17-2018 05:22 AM

What makes dialog with right-wingers frustrating is their lack of perspective, or even self-awareness. Starving Artist, for example, was pleased by his own Medicare experience, but still opposes public health funding since it will eventually turn the U.S. into a socialist hell-hole like Canada.

Ditka is of course smarter than an oaf like Starving but finds Hillary's ignorance about guns to be a more important topic than whether Trump is a fraudster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka (Post 20728795)
In your view, is Trump University one of the top 10 most important things that has happened during his Presidency / the campaign?

I ask Dopers: Would the following be a fair summary of Ditka's performance in that thread?
Mr. Ditka has indicated that the fraud allegations against Trump U., while probably valid, are too irrelevant for comment, and certainly less important than any misspeakings by the candidate the fraudster defeated in 2016.
I've asked Mr. Ditka to research Trump U. and report his conclusions. I will retract the above comment if/when he demonstrates sentience.

Vinyl Turnip 01-17-2018 08:00 AM

Buddy, you don't know Ditka from Shinola.

Shodan 01-17-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by septimus (Post 20728907)
What makes dialog with right-wingers frustrating is their lack of perspective, or even self-awareness. Starving Artist, for example, was pleased by his own Medicare experience, but still opposes public health funding since it will eventually turn the U.S. into a socialist hell-hole like Canada.

Ditka is of course smarter than an oaf like Starving but finds Hillary's ignorance about guns to be a more important topic than whether Trump is a fraudster.

I ask Dopers: Would the following be a fair summary of Ditka's performance in that thread?
Mr. Ditka has indicated that the fraud allegations against Trump U., while probably valid, are too irrelevant for comment, and certainly less important than any misspeakings by the candidate the fraudster defeated in 2016.
I've asked Mr. Ditka to research Trump U. and report his conclusions. I will retract the above comment if/when he demonstrates sentience.

Shut up, you fucking troll.

Regards,
Shodan

SingleMalt 01-17-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by septimus (Post 20728907)

I'm glad you commented on this, as I was rather taken aback as well. He appears able to list chapter and verse on any number of Hillary Clinton's failings, but Trump University and the cataloging of Trump's 2000+ lies is beneath concern. How can one know what one opposes without understanding what one supports?

Shodan's eloquent rebuttal notwithstanding.

septimus 01-17-2018 10:45 AM

Shodan was eloquent? :eek: Please quote him when that happens, as otherwise his posts don't appear on my machine.

SingleMalt 01-17-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by septimus (Post 20729334)
Shodan was eloquent? :eek: Please quote him when that happens, as otherwise his posts don't appear on my machine.

Well, "Shut up, you fucking troll" carries a certain amount of pithiness, even if it doesn't advance the conversation. I don't set a very high bar for his contributions.

In other words, you didn't miss anything.

ElvisL1ves 01-17-2018 11:07 AM

He does use upper and lower case appropriately, and shows a command of punctuation rules. That counts as eloquent for the faction expressing the views he does.

Chimera 01-17-2018 02:37 PM

Yes, blathering on about Clinton (alleged) crimes even after they're both retired from politics and can no longer spring from under the beds of conservative children and eat them is a perfectly valid thing in their eyes, but to question THE DONALD on anything makes you a troll. :rolleyes:

septimus 01-18-2018 09:04 AM

Speaking of Hurricane: These dolts keep whining "We're sentient humans too; treat us with a little respect and we can have intelligent dialog." In the thread I just cited Hurricane's comments included
* "You want him impeached for being unprofessional?"
* "[Trump's] nature is a bit direct and brash, so it's wouldn't be entirely unsurprising or out of character for him."
* I suspect Durbin was more interested in the political harm it would cause Trump than the international harm it would cause America. One might even say he put "party before country".
* "I think most politicians lie, prevaricate, obfuscate, exaggerate, etc and that Trump, at least in that way, is a very typical politician."
* "I already believe he behaves like a typical politician"

Does this sound like a man who thinks Trump is despicable? If I were a right-winger who despised that fraudster I might write "Of course I detest the man but I'm delighted we have an R in the Oval." Not Hurricane. He wouldn't even concede that Trump is a worse human than Hillary.

We're here to fight ignorance, so I invited him to educate himself about Trump U. "Is it important?" he asked. Not unless it would bother you that a detestable man is in the White House. He goaded me into wasting more and more time and finally wrote
Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka (Post 20731016)
But, to get at (what I think is) the heart of the matter, I didn't think much of Trump's character before I learned that the "textbooks" at Trump U were photocopies or the teaching staff was of low quality. He's on his third marriage, is dishonest and mean-spirited, etc. Not someone I'd want to hang out with, not someone I'd trust to be alone around my wife / daughter, and not someone I'd pay huge sums of money to learn their real estate tricks and tips. I don't even want to spend the money to buy his book or the time to read it. Whatever the details of Trump U are seem unlikely to substantially alter that assessment. Does that make sense why it does not seem very interesting or important to me?

My response was
Quote:

Originally Posted by septimus (Post 20731198)
IOW, your opinion of the fraudster's character and life story is about the same as your opinion about Hillary Clinton. Got it.

If you already knew he was a massive fraudster (or planned on pretending to have already known) you could have saved us much time.

No sense my Googling for the credible evidence that Trump is a child rapist. Hillary allegedly ran child sex slaves out of a pizza parlor and the patriot who showed up to rescue them wasn't even allowed in the basement. Neither Trump nor Clinton was convicted, so, again, Same-same. Got it.

I have more respect for imbeciles like Shodan and Starving Artist. My friend has a lovely daughter with Down's Syndrome, who has a kind and beautiful disposition. But she doesn't live in America. It's sad how stupid people develop twisted beliefs in today's America through no fault of their own. But Hurricane probably has average-plus intelligence and still believes (or pretends to believe) that Hillary's confusion about sniper-fire and silencers makes her the moral equivalent of a criminal child rapist and con man. :smack:

I tried to give him a chance. But now I join in this Pitting.

Shodan 01-18-2018 09:46 AM

Regards,
Shodan

eschereal 01-18-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by septimus (Post 20729334)

He does not get much better than this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodan (Post 20731425)

Willie the Shake could not write poetry that good.

Chimera 01-18-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Regards,
Shodan

Stop whining, you fucking baby.

Disregards,
Chimera

Morgenstern 01-18-2018 12:09 PM

Careful there. I got mod noted for signing my posts to him with...

Regards,
My Ass

I'm not allowed to do that anymore.

Derleth 01-18-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Regards,
Shodan

Jesus, you're whiny. Par for the course for Republicans these days, but you're just... really bad at it.

And your stupid little tagline... do you retype the whole thing every single time, or is there a textfile on your computer you copy and paste? Regardless, it's too much work for something absolutely nobody fucking cares about, which you only do in a vain attempt to troll someone, anyone, who isn't already put off by your sterling personality and unparalleled use of language, which you demonstrate in this shining gem of a post.

WillFarnaby 01-18-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begbert2 (Post 20720696)
I have no fondness whatsoever for the military, or its 'heroes', but this:
is just so spectacularly stupid that even I can't let it pass.

Most people who join the military do so because it's a paying job that they've been told will teach them skills for free while letting them help their country.

You could, in theory, argue that it requires ignorance to believe that being a member of the military helps the country. You can't possibly make a sane argument that wanting a paying job or free skills training is evil, and you can't make any sort of coherent argument whatsoever that malice or ambition has anything to do with it at all. That's just crazy.

Look, I don't think there's anything praiseworthy about being a soldier, but it's mouth-frothingly deranged to claim you have to be some kind of demon to want to be one. Stuff like that gives you so much credibility that if you told me it was sunny outside I'd grab an umbrella.

Joining the military to gain skills has nothing to do with ambition? Hmmm.

Hmmmmmmmm.

eschereal 01-18-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillFarnaby (Post 20732156)
Joining the military to gain skills has nothing to do with ambition?

Stop being the fucking moron that you seem to be unable to not be. Persons with ambition do not “join” the military, they align themselves on a career path aimed toward the brass. People who “join” the military (enlist) are mostly just looking for a job and a packet of benefits. And maybe the opportunity to see the world, meet people from different cultures and kill them.

manson1972 01-18-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschereal (Post 20732215)
Persons with ambition do not “join” the military, they align themselves on a career path aimed toward the brass. People who “join” the military (enlist) are mostly just looking for a job and a packet of benefits. And maybe the opportunity to see the world, meet people from different cultures and kill them.

As a retired enlisted person, I would have to say that almost everything you write here is incorrect.

Lemur866 01-18-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Regards,
Shodan

So Shodan,

Do you think Tim McVeigh had a point when he bombed the Oklahoma City federal building?

Why or why not?

Shodan 01-18-2018 04:04 PM

Gosh, aren't you clever.

Regards,
Shodan

WillFarnaby 01-18-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschereal (Post 20732215)
Stop being the fucking moron that you seem to be unable to not be. Persons with ambition do not “join” the military, they align themselves on a career path aimed toward the brass. People who “join” the military (enlist) are mostly just looking for a job and a packet of benefits. And maybe the opportunity to see the world, meet people from different cultures and kill them.

Ohhh. Ok. You just don’t know what ambition means. I thought we had an ideological argument. There isn’t one yet. You’re still struggling with vocabulary.

Bryan Ekers 01-18-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemur866 (Post 20732262)
So Shodan,

Do you think Tim McVeigh had a point when he bombed the Oklahoma City federal building?

Why or why not?

Hey, there were very fine people on both sides of that bombing.

John Mace 01-18-2018 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemur866 (Post 20732262)
So Shodan,

Why or why not?

I think he had a point. An entirely unreasonable point, but a point nonetheless!

Lemur866 01-18-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodan (Post 20732353)
Gosh, aren't you clever.

Regards,
Shodan

Dude, come on. Ditka's being pitted here BECAUSE he posted that McVeigh had a point when he detonated that truck bomb.

What's your opinion? I mean, I think I can guess your opinion about the bombing itself, although feel free to set me straight if you hold an unpopular opinion on the subject.

I'm asking you what's your opinion about Ditka here?

Chimera 01-18-2018 06:20 PM

I'm going to assume he has regards for H-Ditka.

John Mace 01-18-2018 06:25 PM

Just to be clear, the actual quote is:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka

To paraphrase is to invite obfuscation.

running coach 01-18-2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 20732675)
I'm going to assume he has regards for H-Ditka.

Is that code for a man-crush?

Chimera 01-18-2018 06:36 PM

To be honest, I would hope that such a statement puts H-Ditka on the FBI's watch list.

k9bfriender 01-18-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mace (Post 20732684)

Yes, it is good that the actual quote is there. McVeigh certainly had a point he was trying to get across, of that there is no doubt.

The question is, is whether or not targeting and killing civilians is a reasonable reaction to some somewhat controversial government actions.

I'm on team "no" on that one.

k9bfriender 01-18-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 20732706)
To be honest, I would hope that such a statement puts H-Ditka on the FBI's watch list.

I doubt it, it's not like the post was on Hillary's email server or anything.

John Mace 01-18-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimera (Post 20732706)

We're all on that list. ;)

Chimera 01-18-2018 07:06 PM

I'm not. :D

Vinyl Turnip 01-18-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mace (Post 20732684)

Obfuscation, like maybe, "I didn't specify which actions"?

Shodan 01-19-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derleth (Post 20731792)
Jesus, you're whiny. Par for the course for Republicans these days, but you're just... really bad at it.

And your stupid little tagline... do you retype the whole thing every single time, or is there a textfile on your computer you copy and paste? Regardless, it's too much work for something absolutely nobody fucking cares about, which you only do in a vain attempt to troll someone, anyone, who isn't already put off by your sterling personality and unparalleled use of language, which you demonstrate in this shining gem of a post.

I don't suppose anyone else recognizes the irony of a post accusing me of whining, and then immediately whining about an issue that has been beaten to death in a half-dozen threads, as well as being the subject of an explicit and direct mod ruling.

I swear, you people bring self-parody to the level of performance art.

Regards,
Shodan

Morgenstern 01-19-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodan (Post 20733653)
I don't suppose anyone else recognizes the irony of a post accusing me of whining, and then immediately whining about an issue that has been beaten to death in a half-dozen threads, as well as being the subject of an explicit and direct mod ruling.

I swear, you people bring self-parody to the level of performance art.

Regards,
Shodan

Don't let the door hit ya....we won't miss ya.

elucidator 01-19-2018 11:38 AM

Whoa, steady up, there, big horse! He's the conservative gadfly who mocks the pretensions and hypocrisy of the the left! Where could we find another with such eloquence and warm good humor?

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-19-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elucidator (Post 20734113)
He's the conservative gadfly who mocks the pretensions and hypocrisy of the the left!

Might almost describe him as a conservative version of elucidator ...

Chimera 01-19-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodan (Post 20733653)

So, just a little disingenuous lying, then?

I accused you of whining. I didn't do the second part. Perhaps you are conflating me with everyone else on the board, but your internal paranoia is misleading you. We are not all the same person, intent on bothering you.

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-19-2018 11:57 AM

Do you even realize that he was quoting someone else's post and not yours?

elucidator 01-19-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Might almost describe him as a conservative version of elucidator ..

Oh, go right ahead! Somebody might care.

Shodan 01-19-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps (Post 20734138)
Might almost describe him as a conservative version of elucidator ...

You know, F-P, even in the Pit there are some insults that are beyond the pale.

Regards,
Shodan

Airbeck 01-19-2018 12:08 PM

Yeah that was pretty unfair to elucidator. Below the belt for sure.

Morgenstern 01-19-2018 12:08 PM

You [Shodan] and FP get a room please.

Shodan 01-19-2018 12:10 PM

Quit whining.

Regards,
Shodan

k9bfriender 01-19-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 20734226)
You [Shodan] and FP get a room please.

This one will do.

elucidator 01-19-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Yeah that was pretty unfair to elucidator. Below the belt for sure.
Oh, wouldn't be that unfair. In my youth, studying for admission to the penitentiary, I was very conservative. Military brat, Goldwater, Ayn Rand, the complete catastrophe! I got better! Someone. probably Twain, made me laugh at something I fiercely believed, and the Wall cracked. Sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll finished the job.

Still think its true, but can't prove it: you guys are losing because you have no funny. And can't get any.

Morgenstern 01-19-2018 12:26 PM

Yes, they have no funny.

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-19-2018 12:27 PM

Don't need it. Can just laugh at liberals ...

Blank Slate 01-19-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps (Post 20734290)

Or you can watch videos of the Oklahoma City bombing and have a real laugh riot.

Morgenstern 01-19-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

That's called Pseudobulbar Affect. They have medication for that now. Good luck to you.

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-19-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 20734307)
That's called Pseudobulbar Affect. They have medication for that now. Good luck to you.

I'm not sure if that was supposed to be funny to liberals or conservatives ...

Blank Slate 01-19-2018 12:35 PM

You know what's great about being a conservative? You never have to think about anything. You either want to keep things they way they are or go back to the way they were. No problem-solving or critical thinking required. I bet conservatives are far happier than progressives. Just leap into the nostalgia pool and drown in ignorance.

Morgenstern 01-19-2018 12:36 PM

The medication will help you with memory problems too.

Lemur866 01-19-2018 02:15 PM

So...

Still don't know which conservatives here are in favor of the Oklahoma City bombing and which are opposed. Or maybe not "in favor", just "not not in favor"?

And if you're not not not in favor of the Oklahoma City bombing, how do you feel about people who are not not in favor of it? Are they people you can hang out and have a beer with?

k9bfriender 01-19-2018 02:37 PM

Quote:

Well, yeah, that was the point. Conservatives don't have any decent comedians.

It is brave of you that you would admit to crossing the aisle for your comedy needs. Who is your favorite liberal comic?

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-19-2018 02:39 PM

Hmm, perhaps I was a bit too subtle. But I don't think so.

k9bfriender 01-19-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemur866 (Post 20734591)
So...

Still don't know which conservatives here are in favor of the Oklahoma City bombing and which are opposed. Or maybe not "in favor", just "not not in favor"?

And if you're not not not in favor of the Oklahoma City bombing, how do you feel about people who are not not in favor of it? Are they people you can hang out and have a beer with?

To be fair, they are not saying that they are in favor of it.

They are just saying that killing civilians is a reasonable response to controversial government actions.

The same logic that drives any terrorist.

Morgenstern 01-19-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps (Post 20734674)

You really suck at the funny. Seriously, I'll bet the kids run when they see you coming. But that may be for other reasons.

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-19-2018 03:01 PM

Well I'm amusing myself at any rate. I get that it doesn't appeal to you, though that may likewise be for other reasons and at any rate is no concern of mine.

k9bfriender 01-19-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps (Post 20734674)

You were ambiguous, and so I chose to interpret your remark charitably.

Since what you actually meant was to admit your party is simply trolling the liberals for the lol's, harming the country and it's people while you laugh, I thought I'd give you an out.

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-19-2018 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9bfriender (Post 20734747)
You were ambiguous, and so I chose to interpret your remark charitably.

There was no need for that. The posts I was responding to were not themselves "charitable".

Quote:

Since what you actually meant was to admit your party is simply trolling the liberals for the lol's, harming the country and it's people while you laugh [...]
Wow, I see once you stop being charitable, you really stop being charitable.

Morgenstern 01-19-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps (Post 20734733)
Well I'm amusing myself at any rate. ...

Try masturbation. You'll find it more amusing, and we won't have to listen to you scraping your nails on the chalkboard. Win/win.

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-19-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 20734761)
Try masturbation. You'll find it more amusing, and we won't have to listen to you scraping your nails on the chalkboard. Win/win.

Everyone has their own thing. You do yours and I'll do mine.

If you feel like you hear something like scraping nails on a chalkboard, that's fine with me too. Perhaps even a plus, on occasion.

running coach 01-19-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

What if that's how he masturbates?

QuickSilver 01-19-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

That's virtually every post F-P taps out with his cum stained hands.

k9bfriender 01-19-2018 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps (Post 20734758)
There was no need for that. The posts I was responding to were not themselves "charitable".

Don't see how that has anything to do with anything. The posts you were responding to were making the real observation that there are no successful conservative comedians.
Quote:

Wow, I see once you stop being charitable, you really stop being charitable.
How many chances do you think I should be giving you?

Why don't you explain what is that you laugh at about liberals that makes up for the lack of successful comedy on the conservative side.

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-19-2018 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickSilver (Post 20734833)
That's virtually every post F-P taps out with his cum stained hands.

I would say I'm sympathetic, but the fact is that I'm not.
Quote:

Originally Posted by k9bfriender (Post 20734844)
Don't see how that has anything to do with anything. The posts you were responding to were making the real observation that there are no successful conservative comedians.

I don't think so.
Quote:

Why don't you explain what is that you laugh at about liberals that makes up for the lack of successful comedy on the conservative side.
I don't object to the laughing part. It's the "simply trolling the liberals for the lol's, harming the country and it's people" part. You can claim that if you want, but asserting that I meant that has no basis.

QuickSilver 01-19-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps (Post 20734860)

True. You're not the least bit likeable.

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-19-2018 03:54 PM

That's not a bad response from you, have to give you a point there. You're making progress.

k9bfriender 01-19-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps (Post 20734860)
I don't think so.
I don't object to the laughing part. It's the "simply trolling the liberals for the lol's, harming the country and it's people" part. You can claim that if you want, but asserting that I meant that has no basis.

Then what is it that you are laughing at? That liberals are concerned about the future of our country? That liberals are concerned for the future of many of the more vulnerable citizens and residents of our country? That liberals are concerned about how ignoring the environment may come and bite us in the ass?

I mean, there are two types of liberals that are funny, comedians, and people that are futilely trying to protect the country, its people and its environment from the damage being done by conservatives. You said that you aren't laughing at the first, so, what does that leave us?

When Democrats were in charge, I never laughed at conservatives for trying to prevent the ACA from being passed. I disagreed with them, and fought against them, but I didn't laugh at them because I was making the things that they were striving for out of reach.

If you want people to not think that "laugh at liberals" is not you getting schadenfreudian pleasure out of the pain and dismay that liberals are feeling due to the damages that are being done to the fabric of our society, then articulate what it is about liberals you find so damn funny.

iiandyiiii 01-19-2018 04:16 PM

While I think HD is mostly a troll, I'll defend F-P a bit -- I sometimes find him obnoxious and pedantic in political threads, but he took the time to provide some thoughtful and useful information in threads I started about finding a new HVAC unit and on real estate investment. I think he's a good contributor to the board, in general.

Morgenstern 01-19-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps (Post 20734804)
Everyone has their own thing. You do yours and I'll do mine.

Just for the record, I wasn't offering to do it for you. You'll have to find it and figure out how to work it all on your own. If you have problems, try this site:
conservativestickuptheass.com.

If the above link doesn't work, take the stick out of your ass and try again.

Fotheringay-Phipps 01-19-2018 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgenstern (Post 20735009)
Just for the record, I wasn't offering to do it for you. You'll have to find it and figure out how to work it all on your own.

Or I could just watch your webcam ...

Morgenstern 01-19-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps (Post 20735032)
Or I could just watch your webcam ...

You wanna see my scrotum pole huh? You'd never feel like a man again if you did.

septimus 01-20-2018 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blank Slate (Post 20734305)
Or you can watch videos of the Oklahoma City bombing and have a real laugh riot.

Recently I learned, via HurricaneDitka himself, that this murder of 168 people was not entirely unreasonable. Certainly not to be compared with the heinousness of the Antifa terrorists who tossed stones, unreasonably, toward Nazis — Nazis merely exercising their God-given First Amendment right to complain that Jews, Muslims and blacks are not yet entirely dead.

Would I be out-of-line to suggest that Mr. Ditka's opinions are not entirely humane? And that his supporters do not appear to be entirely sane and/or sober?

Blank Slate 01-20-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by septimus (Post 20735895)
Recently I learned, via HurricaneDitka himself, that this murder of 168 people was not entirely unreasonable. Certainly not to be compared with the heinousness of the Antifa terrorists who tossed stones, unreasonably, toward Nazis — Nazis merely exercising their God-given First Amendment right to complain that Jews, Muslims and blacks are not yet entirely dead.

Would I be out-of-line to suggest that Mr. Ditka's opinions are not entirely humane? And that his supporters do not appear to be entirely sane and/or sober?

How can you make the McVeigh argument without also acknowledging that 9/11 was a reasonable response to U.S. excursions into the Middle East?

andros 01-20-2018 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blank Slate (Post 20735951)
How can you make the McVeigh argument without also acknowledging that 9/11 was a reasonable response to U.S. excursions into the Middle East?

Because brown people?

k9bfriender 01-20-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blank Slate (Post 20735951)

Killing civilians in response to actions taken by a government is terrorism.

If Mcveigh's terrorism is reasonable, then all terrorism is.

FTR, I do not subscribe to that idea.

Also, anyone who holds this idea certainly cannot consider peaceful, if inconvenient, protests to be unreasonable responses to government actions. And even if a protest escalates to violence and rioting, that is still a reasonable response.

I dunno, has HD ever criticized BLM or any other protest group for anything? If not, then at least hypocrisy in this is not added to the wright of sins.

John Mace 01-20-2018 12:56 PM

Anita are "terrible people - advocating and effecting violence against their political opponents."

I wouldn't disagree with that. But then, I'd disagree with that heinous statement about McVeigh.

andros 01-20-2018 05:26 PM

Aw, Anita's not so bad.

bobot 01-20-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9bfriender (Post 20736335)

I dunno, has HD ever criticized BLM or any other protest group for anything? If not, then at least hypocrisy in this is not added to the wright of sins.

He seems to have a bug up his ass about antifa. I guess those guys oppose facism. The nerve, huh? They do it with aggressive confrontation against peaceful nazis from what I've seen in HD's antifa links. Otherwise, I'd never have heard of them.

septimus 01-21-2018 02:19 AM

I Pit HurricaneDitka for wasting my time. Although typical right-wing arrogance has been the dominant theme of his contributions here, from time to time, he exhibited actual intelligence and intellectual curiosity — or so I thought. In another thread, he claimed that Hillary and Trump were equivalent liars — both "typical politicians." Was he aware of Trump U.? No, he openly bragged, it's not important.

I wasted time to engage him, and posted a summary of Trump U., a massive detestable fraud for which Trump has been forced to pay out tens of millions. Hurricane's response was, in effect: "Just what I said; Trump's a fraudster, Hillary exaggerated about sniper fire. Same-same. Trump has been charged with child rape; Hillary is alleged to have run the child sex ring from a pizza parlor. Same-same."

We're left with the question: How can a man exhibit this much stupidity and be both sincere and intelligent? Is the right-wing echo chamber so strong as to rob a man completely of his mental faculties? Hurricane writes like he has at least a 95+ IQ; what gives? Is he a troll? Does he work for the Russians? It seems far-fetched, but how else to explain his mental model? Even Starving Artist and Brickhead seem to understand how detestable a man Trump is.

For once, I'm not being sarcastic. I sincerely wonder what his game or mental model is. He doesn't seem like a "troll," but I have no other explanation.

iiandyiiii 01-21-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by septimus (Post 20737514)
I Pit HurricaneDitka for wasting my time. Although typical right-wing arrogance has been the dominant theme of his contributions here, from time to time, he exhibited actual intelligence and intellectual curiosity — or so I thought. In another thread, he claimed that Hillary and Trump were equivalent liars — both "typical politicians." Was he aware of Trump U.? No, he openly bragged, it's not important.

I wasted time to engage him, and posted a summary of Trump U., a massive detestable fraud for which Trump has been forced to pay out tens of millions. Hurricane's response was, in effect: "Just what I said; Trump's a fraudster, Hillary exaggerated about sniper fire. Same-same. Trump has been charged with child rape; Hillary is alleged to have run the child sex ring from a pizza parlor. Same-same."

We're left with the question: How can a man exhibit this much stupidity and be both sincere and intelligent? Is the right-wing echo chamber so strong as to rob a man completely of his mental faculties? Hurricane writes like he has at least a 95+ IQ; what gives? Is he a troll? Does he work for the Russians? It seems far-fetched, but how else to explain his mental model? Even Starving Artist and Brickhead seem to understand how detestable a man Trump is.

For once, I'm not being sarcastic. I sincerely wonder what his game or mental model is. He doesn't seem like a "troll," but I have no other explanation.

Skilled stealth troll, I think. Mixed with a little bit of actual desire for discussion, and a lot of general dishonesty.

Vinyl Turnip 01-21-2018 09:12 AM

HurricaneDitka's greater sin in my eyes is that he's yet another poltroon who avoids the Pit to insulate his delicate constitution from the consequences of his own tireless shitbaggery, under the guise of religiosity or decorum or preference for real, "productive" debate over mindless mud-slinging. Meanwhile he's willing and able to say things just as vile as anything uttered here, as long as he frames it in phony golly-jeepers-I'm-only-asking-what-you-guys-think language and leaves out the fucks and cunts.

John Mace 01-21-2018 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andros (Post 20736777)
Aw, Anita's not so bad.

Anita way to quit being tripped up by spellcheck! :)

eschereal 01-21-2018 10:32 AM

Well, you could just turn it off.

QuickSilver 01-21-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip (Post 20737720)
HurricaneDitka's greater sin in my eyes is that he's yet another poltroon who avoids the Pit to insulate his delicate constitution from the consequences of his own tireless shitbaggery, under the guise of religiosity or decorum or preference for real, "productive" debate over mindless mud-slinging. Meanwhile he's willing and able to say things just as vile as anything uttered here, as long as he frames it in phony golly-jeepers-I'm-only-asking-what-you-guys-think language and leaves out the fucks and cunts.

I put them in my response. Then delete before posting.