Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I forget, do we have a general HurricaneDitka Pit thread? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=846268)

septimus 09-15-2018 09:15 AM

I've posed him a simple arithmetic riddle in another thread. Before letting him make a fool of himself, I even tried to help him figure it out, writing "D+R total." Nobody help him now please! He'll probably just double down, and whine that it's a Wikipedia vs Septimus dispute. In the unlikely event that he's numerate enough to figure out the point, he'll be caught in a dilemma: (1) Continue to pretend he's innumerate, (2) Make a fool of himself defending his error.

The 3rd choice — "Oh, I see. Good point!" — is beyond the capability of a right-winger. Their philosophy has nothing to do with reason, reality, or even simple arithmetic truth, so an admission of mistake would be logically impossible. Whatever slime oozes from one of Trump's orifice (or from one of their own) is "Truth" for them.

iiandyiiii 09-16-2018 06:33 PM

No surprise in the Kavanaugh thread that HD values Republican political concerns -- confirming Kavanaugh ASAP no matter what -- far, far more than maybe considering whether an attempted rapist is about to be seated on the SCOTUS. He doesn't give a shit about protecting women from sexual assault, as should be extremely clear by his posts over the last year or two.

bobot 09-16-2018 06:46 PM

Perhaps you should engage him in a naiive page after page discussion.

iiandyiiii 09-16-2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobot (Post 21211536)
Perhaps you should engage him in a naiive page after page discussion.

I've only responded to him a few times in the last few months, I'm pretty sure. But you're right that that's still probably too much.

ElvisL1ves 09-16-2018 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 21211515)
HD values Republican political concerns -- confirming Kavanaugh ASAP no matter what -- far, far more than maybe considering whether an attempted rapist is about to be seated on the SCOTUS.

Again, he's not the only one. In fact, not one of the self-described Republican supporters in that thread have stated what would be a deal-breaker for them - not perjury, not money laundering, not even rape. It isn't just Party First, it's Party Only for them.

bobot 09-16-2018 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 21211600)
I've only responded to him a few times in the last few months, I'm pretty sure. But you're right that that's still probably too much.

And hey, I feel bad being mean to you because I can see that you're a genuinely nice guy. But shitty posting motherfuckers only exist because they're engaged by other posters. And the gee golly motherfuckers who post pitworthy shit elsewhere on the board, but pretend to be too "classy" or whatever to participate in the Pit should just be starved the fuck out. Peace, Andy.

iiandyiiii 09-16-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobot (Post 21211667)
And hey, I feel bad being mean to you because I can see that you're a genuinely nice guy. But shitty posting motherfuckers only exist because they're engaged by other posters. And the gee golly motherfuckers who post pitworthy shit elsewhere on the board, but pretend to be too "classy" or whatever to participate in the Pit should just be starved the fuck out. Peace, Andy.

Fair enough.

ElvisL1ves 09-17-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobot (Post 21211667)
But shitty posting motherfuckers only exist because they're engaged by other posters.

They feel free to express their "views" with the world on message boards, but that doesn't mean they hold those views because of message boards. They'd believe that stuff in the absence of the Internet, like previous generations did. But ,here, they're subjected to actual inquiry and analysis, and at least have the opportunity to learn something.

But some just won't take the opportunity.

iiandyiiii 09-18-2018 12:34 PM

The most amusing thing about HD in the Kavanaugh thread is watching him wrestle with his apparent certainty that he's an upright and morally decent family man who would never tolerate sexual assault, with his obvious nigh-infinitely greater interest in sticking it to the Democrats over actually preventing sexual assault and rape or listening to and getting justice for victims of sexual assault and rape. Lately it seems like he's short circuited -- he's not even trying, just going with some variation of "b-b-b-but Feinstein!" over and over again.

Left Hand of Dorkness 09-18-2018 04:19 PM

On Ford:
Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka (Post 21215521)
I don't claim any certainty on whether she is a willing schemer or just a useful idiot.

I cannot imagine why a woman would be loath to go public about a sexual assault. They get treated like heroes, right?

Man, fuck this guy.

Ravenman 09-18-2018 04:22 PM

Give him 20 years, his daughter will be grown, and I assume his views on attempted rape will mature.

Left Hand of Dorkness 09-18-2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenman (Post 21215559)
Give him 20 years, his daughter will be grown, and I assume his views on attempted rape will mature.

My fondest wish for her is that she becomes fully conscious of her father's attitudes toward women ("schemers or useful idiots") and can work herself free of their yoke.

iiandyiiii 09-18-2018 04:37 PM

That might be the most disgusting thing he's ever said on this board.

ElvisL1ves 09-18-2018 04:43 PM

Stay tuned ... sigh ...

Merneith 09-18-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenman (Post 21215559)
Give him 20 years, his daughter will be grown, and I assume his views on attempted rape will mature.

Why would you assume that?

Happy Lendervedder 09-18-2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 21215609)
That might be the most disgusting thing he's ever said on this board.

I dunno, this one give that one a run for its money.

Quote:

I think it was a fairly dubious accusation to begin with, and it's growing more dubious the more objections Ford throws up to testifying.
Tell us, O Shit Bird of Wisdom, how should a woman go public with her story of attempted rape? Walk us through what is acceptable to you.

ElvisL1ves 09-19-2018 09:43 AM

Is that dumber than this Spartacus stuff that he's giggling to himself about?

iiandyiiii 09-19-2018 09:56 AM

Now he's trying to pretend an honest account with no denial of teenage groping is the same as denying a credible accusation of attempted rape. Probably trolling, he can't possibly be that stupid.

snfaulkner 09-19-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 21217010)
Now he's trying to pretend an honest account with no denial of teenage groping is the same as denying a credible accusation of attempted rape. Probably trolling, he can't possibly be that stupid.

He can be is both.

Sunny Daze 09-19-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenman (Post 21215559)
Give him 20 years, his daughter will be grown, and I assume his views on attempted rape will mature.

Hey now, when she's your property useful idiot, it's different!

iiandyiiii 09-20-2018 02:29 PM

HD is really tripling down on this ridiculous Cory Booker comparison. I really, really hope his daughter learns about sexual assault from someone other than him. She could be in even more danger than girls already are in this society if she learns this stuff from her dad.

Left Hand of Dorkness 09-20-2018 03:07 PM

He's singlehandedly gotten me to quit that thread on Kavanaugh--I can't stay there and be civil to him. Other folks in that thread I disagree with--Ultravires, Shodan, F-P--are saying terrible wrong things, but nobody else is as purely revolting as he's being.

Vinyl Turnip 09-20-2018 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves (Post 21216974)
Is that dumber than this Spartacus stuff that he's giggling to himself about?

Undeniably stupid, but I cut him some slack. Conservative "jokes" are rarer than hen's teeth, so when they're handed one, they have to pound it flat like a chicken cutlet.

Sunny Daze 09-20-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness (Post 21219757)
He's singlehandedly gotten me to quit that thread on Kavanaugh--I can't stay there and be civil to him. Other folks in that thread I disagree with--Ultravires, Shodan, F-P--are saying terrible wrong things, but nobody else is as purely revolting as he's being.

Ultravires is coming up strong. I had no idea he was so mean-spirited until very recently.

Left Hand of Dorkness 09-20-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny Daze (Post 21220041)
Ultravires is coming up strong. I had no idea he was so mean-spirited until very recently.

In my defense I've mostly quit reading that thread (although I just got sucked back in, damn my low willpower). So I've probably missed Ultravires's idiocy.

Enginerd 09-20-2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder (Post 21216333)
Tell us, O Shit Bird of Wisdom, how should a woman go public with her story of attempted rape? Walk us through what is acceptable to you.

OK, first you have a democrat attempt to rape you...

Grrr! 09-20-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny Daze (Post 21220041)
Ultravires is coming up strong. I had no idea he was so mean-spirited until very recently.


Yeah, fuck that guy. He was the one pissing me off the most.:mad:

RitterSport 09-20-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny Daze (Post 21220041)
Ultravires is coming up strong. I had no idea he was so mean-spirited until very recently.

Ugh, yeah, fuck that guy. Isn't he a lawyer? He's among the worst, most disingenuous debaters out there, and I've tangled with doorhinge. I knew he was an idiot, but, holy shit, the guy sounds like he would practically cheer on some rape.

Fuck that whole thread, while you're at it. It's bringing out such an ugly side in the guys defending Kavanaugh. It's really disgusting.

That thread has already turned off someone from the Dope for several months, maybe longer (Tired and Cranky maybe?), and it's doing the same to me. It's hard to be a part of a board when members as ugly as Shodan, Ultravires, and of course HD are there. I really have to stop reading it -- I'll have to get my updates from actual news sources. Of course then I'll miss the random bullshit tweet that HD brings in just to smear Dr. Blasey. (While Ultrashitstain claims that she'll be treated with kid gloves)

septimus 09-21-2018 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by septimus (Post 21209464)
I've posed him a simple arithmetic riddle in another thread. Before letting him make a fool of himself, I even tried to help him figure it out, writing "D+R total." Nobody help him now please! He'll probably just double down, and whine that it's a Wikipedia vs Septimus dispute. In the unlikely event that he's numerate enough to figure out the point, he'll be caught in a dilemma: (1) Continue to pretend he's innumerate, (2) Make a fool of himself defending his error.

The 3rd choice — "Oh, I see. Good point!" — is beyond the capability of a right-winger. Their philosophy has nothing to do with reason, reality, or even simple arithmetic truth, so an admission of mistake would be logically impossible. Whatever slime oozes from one of Trump's orifice (or from one of their own) is "Truth" for them.

I guessed right again. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka (Post 21220848)
"the standard benchmark"?

Why then, pray tell does Wikipedia choose to use a non-standard benchmark in reporting the election results? Is it possible this "standard benchmark", while certainly one valid way to analyze at election results, is not the only way? Perhaps it's not quite as "standard" as you two imagine?

Had Ditka said "Aha; yes that makes sense!" I'd have increased respect for him. I have no doubt that if correct arithmetic would support the stupid partisan post he was trying to make he'd recall enough of his 3rd-grade arithmetic to get the correct answer.

Yet he clings to his mistake tenaciously. Is he really so dim-witted? Or, perhaps, he does have an IQ of 95 or so when discussing areas outside politics, but his IQ effectively drops 15 points when politics are involved.

Anyway, he missed a chance. Had he said "Aha; that makes sense" we could imagine he was not beyond salvation. Now there'll be no further dispute about how much attention we should pay to his "ideas."

ETA: If anyone is confused about whether it is Ditka or septimus who has the better grasp of simple arithmetic, kindly compare our participation when someone poses a math question in GQ.

raventhief 09-21-2018 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RitterSport (Post 21220288)
Ugh, yeah, fuck that guy. Isn't he a lawyer? He's among the worst, most disingenuous debaters out there, and I've tangled with doorhinge. I knew he was an idiot, but, holy shit, the guy sounds like he would practically cheer on some rape.

Fuck that whole thread, while you're at it. It's bringing out such an ugly side in the guys defending Kavanaugh. It's really disgusting.

That thread has already turned off someone from the Dope for several months, maybe longer (Tired and Cranky maybe?), and it's doing the same to me. It's hard to be a part of a board when members as ugly as Shodan, Ultravires, and of course HD are there. I really have to stop reading it -- I'll have to get my updates from actual news sources. Of course then I'll miss the random bullshit tweet that HD brings in just to smear Dr. Blasey. (While Ultrashitstain claims that she'll be treated with kid gloves)

I have to agree with all of this. I really do need a break.

Budget Player Cadet 09-21-2018 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RitterSport (Post 21220288)
(While Ultrashitstain claims that she'll be treated with kid gloves)

...After she was doxxed. Seriously, I keep thinking we've reached the bottom of the barrel, but no, we just keep digging through the floorboards. It's astonishing. I thought that'd be the low point of the thread, but then I was wrong. Then I thought people arguing that delaying to investigate was unreasonable would be the low point... but I was wrong. Jesus christ.

bobot 09-21-2018 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raventhief (Post 21220902)
I have to agree with all of this. I really do need a break.

A break from the board? Because of that nimrod? How about a break from that thread, instead? (And a break from those who respond to every damn thing he says.)

raventhief 09-21-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobot (Post 21220957)
A break from the board? Because of that nimrod? How about a break from that thread, instead? (And a break from those who respond to every damn thing he says.)

Definitely a break from that thread, but I don't know- maybe the board, too. There are quite a few nimrods on the board. But right now I'll just expand my ignore list.

wguy123 09-21-2018 10:45 AM

Yeah, I stopped looking at that thread. I also stop looking at any thread once HD and the rest of the gang climbs out of the clown car. :mad:

septimus 09-21-2018 03:42 PM

I haven't put HurricaneDitka on Ignore because it's educational to look into the "mind" of a Trumpist/Republiopath on various issues. He's not really a moron — his 95 IQ is probably higher than that of most Trumpists — but the way he doubles down on even blunders of simple arithmetic is enlightening. No attempt whatsoever to apply his brain. Instead ... alternative facts are as good as real facts. That is what we're up against, and we'd best understand that.

Or perhaps I keep HD around out of masochism (or sadism :)). The girls in San Francisco used to charge $100/hour & Up, but HD provides, for free, all the torture we can tolerate!

wonky 09-21-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny Daze (Post 21220041)
Ultravires is coming up strong. I had no idea he was so mean-spirited until very recently.

Oh, you missed out on all of the same-sex marriage threads, you lucky duck. I kinda hate you right now!

iiandyiiii 09-28-2018 07:59 PM

Morally bankrupt person HD didn't find Christine Blasey Ford's testimony "compelling":

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...postcount=5030

Very sad that his daughters will have to grow up with such a misogynistic asshole for a dad.

Procrustus 09-28-2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 21237492)
Morally bankrupt person HD didn't find Christine Blasey Ford's testimony "compelling":

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...postcount=5030

Very sad that his daughters will have to grow up with such a misogynistic asshole for a dad.

The fuck? Even Trump said it was compelling. Trump!

Sunny Daze 09-28-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonky (Post 21222035)
Oh, you missed out on all of the same-sex marriage threads, you lucky duck. I kinda hate you right now!

I forgot that was him. :( I hate me too.

ThelmaLou 09-28-2018 10:03 PM

The thing that I don't understand (maybe someone will explain it to me) is why people continue to engage with him. It's nothing but a waste of time. He is not going to change his mind, and these pointless exchanges hijacks can go on endlessly. It's a cheeseless tunnel. Why do people do it? HD is one of a handful of posters that it is totally useless to reply to. Period.

JohnT 09-28-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 21237492)
Morally bankrupt person HD didn't find Christine Blasey Ford's testimony "compelling":

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...postcount=5030

Very sad that his daughters will have to grow up with such a misogynistic asshole for a dad.

Don't you talk about his kids or he's going to yell at you in large fonts!!!

El_Kabong 09-28-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 21237686)
The thing that I don't understand (maybe someone will explain it to me) is why people continue to engage with him. It's nothing but a waste of time. He is not going to change his mind, and these pointless exchanges hijacks can go on endlessly. It's a cheeseless tunnel. Why do people do it? HD is one of a handful of posters that it is totally useless to reply to. Period.

Agreed, enthusiastically. His sole interest in this board appears to be to post reflexive pro-Trump propaganda. A complete waste of time to engage with, IMO.

kaylasdad99 09-28-2018 11:37 PM

“cheeseless tunnel?” :confused:

snoe 09-28-2018 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 (Post 21237799)
“cheeseless tunnel?” :confused:

Rat, maze. Took me a sec

ThelmaLou 09-29-2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 (Post 21237799)
“cheeseless tunnel?” :confused:

"Who Moved My Cheese ?" by the author of "The One Minute Manager."

The idea is that if you set up a maze with several tunnels and cheese at the end of one of them, a rat will quickly learn where the cheese is and repeatedly go down that tunnel. If you move the cheese, the rat will go down that tunnel for a while but will eventually figure out that the cheese isn't there anymore and stop. That's the difference between rats and people. People will often go down the cheeseless tunnel over and over for the rest of their lives in spite of the futility of the quest.

Attempting to get through to HD and some of our other Dopers is a cheeseless tunnel.

Ninja'd. I felt sure you'd know that reference, 'cause you're a sharp cookie. :)

wolfpup 09-29-2018 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 21237686)
The thing that I don't understand (maybe someone will explain it to me) is why people continue to engage with him. It's nothing but a waste of time. He is not going to change his mind, and these pointless exchanges hijacks can go on endlessly. It's a cheeseless tunnel. Why do people do it? HD is one of a handful of posters that it is totally useless to reply to. Period.

You're absolutely right, and lately I've been guilty of it. It's been triggered by stuff like what iiandyiiii just mentioned:
Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 21237492)
Morally bankrupt person HD didn't find Christine Blasey Ford's testimony "compelling":

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...postcount=5030

Why do I do it? I guess because I can't separate the intellectual understanding that it's a total waste of time from the emotionally-driven sense of obligation to correct something really, really stupid. Besides believing that Ford was not credible, HD also believes that Kavanaugh gave an outstanding performance, and is not at all an unhinged partisan lunatic whose presence on the Court would discredit it for generations.

I'll try to do better.

ThelmaLou 09-29-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpup (Post 21238058)
You're absolutely right, and lately I've been guilty of it. It's been triggered by stuff like what iiandyiiii just mentioned:


Why do I do it? I guess because I can't separate the intellectual understanding that it's a total waste of time from the emotionally-driven sense of obligation to correct something really, really stupid. Besides believing that Ford was not credible, HD also believes that Kavanaugh gave an outstanding performance, and is not at all an unhinged partisan lunatic whose presence on the Court would discredit it for generations.

I'll try to do better.

I agree that it's hard to ignore, which is why God the SDMB created the Ignore List. For your own sanity.

Besides, and really give this some thought: who gives a fuck what he believes? Does he really believe what he posts, or does he just lap up the attention, the certainty that he can derail any thread he wants to because no one can resist jumping in the pit with him? Why give him the satisfaction?

And anyway, even if something you said changed his mind: 1) so what? and 2) he'd never admit it.

wguy123 09-29-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 21238311)
I agree that it's hard to ignore, which is why God the SDMB created the Ignore List. For your own sanity.

Besides, and really give this some thought: who gives a fuck what he believes? Does he really believe what he posts, or does he just lap up the attention, the certainty that he can derail any thread he wants to because no one can resist jumping in the pit with him? Why give him the satisfaction?

And anyway, even if something you said changed his mind: 1) so what? and 2) he'd never admit it.

Yep, yep, and yep. I've replied to HD and others in that wingnut gang, but no more. There is no point to it. When I see a thread overtaken by HD, octo, shartingartist, etc, I don't go back.

k9bfriender 09-29-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 21237492)
Morally bankrupt person HD didn't find Christine Blasey Ford's testimony "compelling":

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...postcount=5030

Very sad that his daughters will have to grow up with such a misogynistic asshole for a dad.

I hope first that such doesn't happen, and that the efforts of our generation spare the next at least some of the pain that our has endured.

But, my second hope is that if it does happen that HD has a change of heart in whether he believes women, and that he doesn't treat his daughter's accusations against an assault the way he does Ford's.

Most likely, however, I see it playing out that they are aware that he will not believe them, and that should they mention anything about their trauma to him that he will make sure they know that it is their fault, and instead, will not come forward about the assaults or harassments that they may endure.

septimus 09-29-2018 05:06 PM

:confused: Hurricane has no position on sexual assault, or on anything else for that matter. He simply parrots whatever the Trump line is. The only intellectual effort he expends is in figuring out what Trump would want him to say.

Double his IQ and he could do Sarah Huckabee Sanders' job


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.