Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The Game Room (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Welcome back to Paragon City - how to play the revived City of Heroes (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=875847)

Brainiac4 05-20-2019 09:48 PM

Welcome back to Paragon City - how to play the revived City of Heroes

Holy toledo, Batman! City of Heroes is back!

The instructions for how to play are written here, in detail:
https://score.savecoh.com/index.php/topic,950.0.html

To create an account, first create a forum account for the forum I linked above. Then sign into the forums. Then go to the game account creation page:
https://score.savecoh.com/account/

Of the five "Homecoming" servers, the one that's the "unofficial RP" server (aka the new Virtue) is Everlasting. We have C.E.C.I.L. up and running there. Contact @thermocline, @dangerosa or @balanced via global chat to get an invite.

Lots of fun nostalgia in the long-running CoH thread here: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=296158

Mister Rik 05-21-2019 05:18 AM

All of my toons are fortuitously on Everlasting, so I'll join up. I originally rolled them all on Reunion, when it was still called Halcyon and not labeled "(EU)", simply because it was showing the lowest server load. Used the pile of transfer tokens they handed out to move everybody over.

I'm really enjoying the new i24 stuff. So far running into some pretty cool story arcs in Kings Row, complete with some slick cutscenes, something I don't recall seeing much of before.

Czarcasm 05-21-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac4 (Post 21653573)
Holy toledo, Batman! City of Heroes is back!

The instructions for how to play are written here, in detail:
https://score.savecoh.com/index.php/topic,950.0.html

I suggest people read all the way through that thread before installing anything. Leaving aside the installation difficulties, there seem to be malware and re-sizing difficulties that need to be addressed.

Czarcasm 05-21-2019 07:26 AM

More about installation incidents on this Reddit.

D_Odds 05-21-2019 08:29 PM

Can't remember how to chat, but Jim Beam (@Jim Beam) is back! Buy stock in hospitals!

Brainiac4 05-21-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D_Odds (Post 21655598)
Can't remember how to chat, but Jim Beam (@Jim Beam) is back! Buy stock in hospitals!

Welcome back, Jim!

Sailboat 05-22-2019 11:32 AM

I am playing on the Homecoming shards (mostly Excelsior), but it's worth noting for the record that other efforts exist:

Massively OP article on public servers

Look at all these people willing to pay substantial sums of money so that complete strangers can play for free, and tell me NC Soft didn't err.

A note about setup: while the instructions Brainiac4 linked above worked for me, they recommend starting in windowed mode. For the first week or so, I experienced terribly long delays and crashes to the login screen every single time I entered a city zone. Teaming with me was terrible, because every time we finished an instance, I was useless for 5-10 minutes. It was 100% reproducible, although the crashes to login were about 1 time in 4 or so.

Then I changed away from windowed mode to full screen, and the issue completely disappeared. So if Windowed gives you issues, try changing to full screen.

Balance 05-22-2019 01:15 PM

If you want to recreate your original characters, particularly their backstories, check and see if you were tracking them on the City Info Tracker. The character profile includes the name, backstory, powersets, and badges obtained.

Brainiac4 05-22-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balance (Post 21656982)
If you want to recreate your original characters, particularly their backstories, check and see if you were tracking them on the City Info Tracker. The character profile includes the name, backstory, powersets, and badges obtained.

Thanks for this, Balance. I was indeed tracking my characters, and this is great reference.

Brainiac4 05-23-2019 11:51 PM

Is there an SDMB Discord server? If not, I'll create one for us to use when teaming in City of Heroes.

Maus Magill 05-24-2019 10:23 AM

That would be really cool. Thank you.

Ruken 05-24-2019 11:42 AM

I never played it back then and likely won't now, but I was given a tour a few weekends back* and I really enjoyed the names/costumes people come up with. Lots of really corny pun-ishment but I lol'd because I'm easy to please like that.

*After "let's see if I can get this running in Linux" and two hours of cursing while I played another game. She eventually succeeded.

Pleonast 05-24-2019 12:27 PM

My playtime is very limited, but it's nice to have friends to chat and team with when I do get on.

Atamasama 05-24-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pleonast (Post 21660816)
My playtime is very limited, but it's nice to have friends to chat and team with when I do get on.

Same here. :)

(Stupid career and family and real life getting in the way...)

TimeWinder 05-24-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailboat (Post 21656668)
Look at all these people willing to pay substantial sums of money so that complete strangers can play for free, and tell me NC Soft didn't err.

OK. "NCSoft didn't err." First, the number of people willing to play something for free isn't a good indicator of how many will pay for it. More importantly, they had the actual books -- I'm sure they were capable of complex calculations like "greater than" and "less than" and determining if they were achieving their financial goals or not.

Brainiac4 05-24-2019 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeWinder (Post 21661106)
OK. "NCSoft didn't err." First, the number of people willing to play something for free isn't a good indicator of how many will pay for it. More importantly, they had the actual books -- I'm sure they were capable of complex calculations like "greater than" and "less than" and determining if they were achieving their financial goals or not.

The frustrating thing about the closure was that City of Heroes was making money when it was shut down. NCSoft wanted more focus on things in their portfolio where they saw greater ROI. And hey, that's the kind of decisions that corporations get to make. But it's hard to wrap your head around the idea of turning off something that is making money.

Then add in the additional information that seven years later there are thousands of people - tens of thousands - who are willing to install a special installer, work through technical issues and engage in something that's quite possibly illegal. That's a level of desire for a game that's pretty remarkable. And on the (modern) financial front, the Homecoming servers raised the $6600 they asked for in something like 20 minutes.

So hey, maybe they didn't err. Or maybe they did, and they could have had a nice cash cow for the past 7 years.

Brainiac4 05-25-2019 10:36 AM

I've created a Discord server, SDMB-Games. Invite link is here: https://discord.gg/yxRa4yj.

Mister Rik 05-25-2019 01:36 PM

I'm not entirely clear how to contact a global handle (@thermocline, etc.) via Global chat. No matter what I type in the text-entry line (which I have set to "Global" gets converted to [ Local ] in the chat window and just puts a speech bubble over my head.

Maus Magill 05-25-2019 05:35 PM

It's been a while, but I think you can add global friends. I should be under @MausMagill. I'm original that way.

Mister Rik 05-25-2019 06:19 PM

BTW, my global is @RikOz

Jophiel 05-25-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac4 (Post 21661397)
The frustrating thing about the closure was that City of Heroes was making money when it was shut down. NCSoft wanted more focus on things in their portfolio where they saw greater ROI. And hey, that's the kind of decisions that corporations get to make. But it's hard to wrap your head around the idea of turning off something that is making money.

They also refused to sell it to anyone and then did nothing at all with the IP aside from having Statesman in some MOBA commercial or something, years back. Current buzz aside, you have to assume that the value of the IP now is a fair bit less than it could have been in 2012 -- especially since the game itself was still profitable at that time.

Jophiel 05-25-2019 08:20 PM

Late Edit: Apparently the MOBA "Master x Master" did launch... and then died a few months later. Anyway, that's the most NCSoft had done with the IP it refused to keep alive or to sell.

Mister Rik 05-25-2019 09:51 PM

Hey, cool. I just discovered the "experimental" graphics settings that let me make everything cel-shaded and outlined to look more like a comic book. Looks pretty neat. I don't recall seeing those options before, but in 2012 they probably wouldn't have worked with my old iMac.

Balance 05-26-2019 06:25 PM

For those playing on Homecoming servers: Luna, a special vendor in Ouroboros, is currently selling the anniversary badges for 100 merits each. They're only available during May, the anniversary month of the launch, so if you want to reclaim old badges (or acquire some from intervening years), grab as many reward merits as you can and go time-traveling.

If you don't have Ouro access, you can hit me up for a portal whenever I'm on. (Although you can often find them at Atlas or in front of the Talos train station, anyway.)

Mister Rik 05-28-2019 03:00 PM

I've gotten my main, Flaminatrix up to level 16. Ah, the joys of being reminded how many ways those Hellion "Girlfriend From Hell" mobs can kick my ass.

Atamasama 05-28-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Rik (Post 21667244)
I've gotten my main, Flaminatrix up to level 16. Ah, the joys of being reminded how many ways those Hellion "Girlfriend From Hell" mobs can kick my ass.

Thank goodness itís not just me. What is with them?!

Balance 05-29-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atamasama (Post 21667932)
Thank goodness itís not just me. What is with them?!

They were relatively new mobs and (like Arachnos) featured some power creep, with powers from the Demon Summoning Mastermind set. They do -resistance debuffs, which makes them especially nasty when they have flunkies, and they can summon pets. I don't think I had much trouble with them when I played back through that with Bal last week, but I didn't run into many.

The Skulls EB/AVs they added caught me on the hop, though--I had to scramble to beat the first one.

Brainiac4 05-30-2019 09:42 PM

We have a base now - thanks for setting it up, Balance. I modified permissions on the various chest/racks/etc so anyone can deposit stuff in them, and anyone above the "Guest" level can take stuff out.

Our SG ranks, by the way, are:
Charter Member
Commander
Leader

I should fix those last two- they're the defaults. I'm thinking Commander becomes SDSAB, but what should we call our leader role? And does someone else want it?

Balance 05-30-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac4 (Post 21672505)
We have a base now - thanks for setting it up, Balance. I modified permissions on the various chest/racks/etc so anyone can deposit stuff in them, and anyone above the "Guest" level can take stuff out.

Yeah, I threw all the utility stuff in, then got distracted by the "open sky" ceiling option. :D

I left a lot of big open spaces, if anyone is inclined to experiment with interior design.

Atamasama 05-31-2019 12:55 AM

Quote:

I should fix those last two- they're the defaults. I'm thinking Commander becomes SDSAB, but what should we call our leader role? And does someone else want it?

The leader should be called ďEdĒ.

And Iím not volunteering. :)

Chronos 05-31-2019 06:11 AM

I would go with "Administrator" and "Perfect Master" for the top two levels, but nobody asked me.

Atamasama 05-31-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos (Post 21672829)
I would go with "Administrator" and "Perfect Master" for the top two levels, but nobody asked me.

I like that better.

Pleonast 05-31-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

I put in the inspiration bin some self-rezzes and anti-mezzes. Useful for any squishy archetype.

What do we want to collect in the salvage bins? I've been selling all my salvage at the auction house, but white and yellow salvage is only worth a few thousand influence each. I'd be happy to throw those into our bin.

I've been crafting common IOs, and being able to rummage through our bins would be easier than popping out of the base to buy off the auction house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atamasama (Post 21673007)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos (Post 21672829)

I like that better.

Thirded.

Brainiac4 06-01-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pleonast (Post 21673034)
I put in the inspiration bin some self-rezzes and anti-mezzes. Useful for any squishy archetype.

What do we want to collect in the salvage bins? I've been selling all my salvage at the auction house, but white and yellow salvage is only worth a few thousand influence each. I'd be happy to throw those into our bin.

I've been crafting common IOs, and being able to rummage through our bins would be easier than popping out of the base to buy off the auction house.

Thirded.

Fourthed, and implemented. Thanks Chronos.

I'll drop white/yellow salvage in the bins - I love the idea of making crafting easier for everyone.

Pleonast 06-04-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac4 (Post 21675117)
I'll drop white/yellow salvage in the bins - I love the idea of making crafting easier for everyone.

Iíve moved all the yellow salvage to the second bin.

Atamasama 06-04-2019 10:50 AM

I like the base, it’s very mystic.

Balance 06-04-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atamasama (Post 21680083)
I like the base, itís very mystic.

I just didn't like looking at the bare walls while setting stuff up, and I like the arcane and rustic styles better than the techie ones, so I picked one and ran with it. The portal room is the only place where I actually started playing with aesthetics for their own sake, which is why we now have a little lawn with magic gazebos.

Since all the base stuff is free (including plot upgrades), there's plenty of room for people to make their own custom areas, if they like. Someone with a science main could make a lab, for example, or we could put the NPCs I dumped in the entrance in more thematically fitting rooms. There are a lot more decorative options than there were before.

Oakminster 06-05-2019 12:50 PM

Oh man...I so hope this works. I'm downloading now. I think my first new hero will probably be a magic based fire blaster.

Oakminster 06-06-2019 12:02 PM

It did work, and I'm relearning how to play this game, having great fun. Tried to request an invite to the group, but either I mistyped or no one was online when I was yesterday. I'll try again today.

Pleonast 06-06-2019 01:43 PM

This command sends a global friend request:
/gfriend @handle
Replace handle with their global handle (for example, @Pleonast). The request goes out even if theyíre offline. You can then see each other on your global friendís list. And easy to get a supergroup invite.

Mister Rik 06-06-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oakminster (Post 21684465)
It did work, and I'm relearning how to play this game, having great fun. Tried to request an invite to the group, but either I mistyped or no one was online when I was yesterday. I'll try again today.

I'm on quite a bit pretty much nonstop when I'm not at work. My global is @RikOz

Pleonast 06-10-2019 04:01 PM

I read that one rogue server was suddenly shut down. Apparently a dispute among its operators. While the Homecoming servers many of us are playing on seem well organized, it's best to have fun on them now. The future is far from certain.

Atamasama 06-10-2019 04:04 PM

Yeah if the CoH servers get shut down it’s okay. I am enjoying the time I have now and have no expectation about how long it will last. I’m happy to be able to experience the game as long as I can.

Oakminster 06-13-2019 11:33 AM

I can only play from my office computer--poor internet connection at home. Almost no one in the SG online when I'm on. Servers are down for maintenance at the moment.

My alt-itis is kicking in again. My main is the blaster I started with...he's 26 now. I've started two alts--a brute who accidentally ended up in Praetoria Nova (which I did not even no existed), and a corrupter who I was more careful about sending to the Red side.

bauble 06-13-2019 06:55 PM

Was anyone here good with binds? I used to have one for flying that would automatically change between Hover and Fly depending on whether you were moving or not. (I didn't write it, else I think I'd be able to re-create it). IIRC, the one I used required a couple .txt files. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

bauble 06-13-2019 07:42 PM

And for that matter: does anyone remember Vidiot maps? I think I've got the files, but they don't install with Tequila...and I don't know how to install them manually. Anyone?

Pleonast 06-14-2019 08:52 AM

I can't answer your questions, but I recommend asking in the in-game Help channel. While the channel can get off-topic chatty, real questions are generally answered well.

Balance 06-14-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bauble (Post 21697093)
Was anyone here good with binds? I used to have one for flying that would automatically change between Hover and Fly depending on whether you were moving or not. (I didn't write it, else I think I'd be able to re-create it). IIRC, the one I used required a couple .txt files. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

TexasAndroid linked his old "Speed on Demand" binds, with instructions, here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroe...m_source=share

I don't like the ground-speed toggles (which require you to dedicate a tray slot) and would make some other modifications before I used them, but you may like them as-is. It's a starting point, at least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bauble (Post 21697149)
And for that matter: does anyone remember Vidiot maps? I think I've got the files, but they don't install with Tequila...and I don't know how to install them manually. Anyone?

Here are instructions for loading VidiotMaps, with updated maps for Homecoming: https://forums.homecomingservers.com...ic,4021.0.html

bauble 06-14-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balance (Post 21697751)
TexasAndroid linked his old "Speed on Demand" binds, with instructions, here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroe...m_source=share

I don't like the ground-speed toggles (which require you to dedicate a tray slot) and would make some other modifications before I used them, but you may like them as-is. It's a starting point, at least.

Here are instructions for loading VidiotMaps, with updated maps for Homecoming: https://forums.homecomingservers.com...ic,4021.0.html

THANK YOU!!!!! You're aces!

Mister Rik 06-14-2019 05:39 PM

I wish VidiotMaps (or, even better, the actual in-game maps) would label the darned neighborhoods. I'm always getting missions that tell me to defeat mobs in a zone, and go on to say, "They're mostly in such-and-such neighborhoods", because that's not much help if you don't know where those neighborhoods are.