Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I forget, do we have a general HurricaneDitka Pit thread? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=846268)

crowmanyclouds 10-22-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness (Post 21280183)
Here's a good summary:

HD: Trump says Republicans Create Jobs, Democrats Create Mobs! I think that's accurate.
Other folks: But Democrats create plenty of jobs, and Republicans have created plenty of mobs, so why do you think Trump was accurate?
HD: Cite that Trump said Democrats don't create jobs, or that Republicans don't create mobs? He's not comparing them, he's just making two completely unrelated points in a rhyming slogan, and those unrelated points are clearly accurate.
Other folks: You've got to be shitting me.

Me: And this is why it's not entirely unreasonable to drive a truck bomb into all of your threads HD.

CMC fnord!

Budget Player Cadet 10-22-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 21280185)
While I normally advocate for ignoring this particular troll, Dopers have done a good job of cornering HD in the thread linked in #597. Pretty blatant that's he's just trolling for reactions, and he's been correctly called out for it (while still remaining within the rules of Elections).

Well, given that JC has it out for me, this may or may not be true.

mhendo 10-22-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 21280185)
While I normally advocate for ignoring this particular troll, Dopers have done a good job of cornering HD in the thread linked in #597. Pretty blatant that's he's just trolling for reactions, and he's been correctly called out for it (while still remaining within the rules of Elections).

Yeah, I think we need a sign-up sheet, to ensure that there are always two or three people in that thread to keep the conversation going. Anything that keep's Hurricane Ditka's idiocy confined to a single thread is worth pursuing.

iiandyiiii 10-22-2018 01:43 PM

And his trolling thread is closed. Good for the mods. With the recent warning and this closing, maybe they're paying closer attention to HD's obnoxious trolling.

wolfpup 10-22-2018 03:57 PM

The thing is that the stupid fucker is dumb enough to freely admit that he gets a kick out of trolling and annoying liberals. That's why he's here, and if his outright admission of enjoying "poking them in the eye with a stick" wan't enough, there are threads like the latest and now closed mobs'n'jobs one which just result in a lot of heat and no real discussion because there's totally no substance there. What makes him particularly ban-worthy -- and I think this is part of the act -- is his sanctimonious insistence on "civility" while he trolls and provokes, and no doubt chuckles as other posters get warnings. It's no wonder that he expressed concern, as noted earlier, about being "next" after the Starving Artist ban.

The Tooth 10-22-2018 05:47 PM

Yeah, I don't get that lib owning stuff. I don't feel owned by his sort, I'm just left with the impression Trump supporters are evil, or stupid, or both. They're only embarrassing themselves.

The Trump supporters in my personal life are few and far between; do you guys ever meet any who just say something along the lines of "yeah, he's a real crummy president and a liar, not to mention Putin's catamite, but I like him anyway because he's making the scary brown people go away"? At least that would be honest.

Reindeer Flotilla 10-22-2018 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tooth (Post 21281334)
The Trump supporters in my personal life are few and far between; do you guys ever meet any who just say something along the lines of "yeah, he's a real crummy president and a liar, not to mention Putin's catamite, but I like him anyway because he's making the scary brown people go away"? At least that would be honest.

It's also for a lot along the lines of:

Trump Supporter: Thank God we have a president that's not black anymore.
Everyone else: But the replacement is embarrassingly ignorant, a laughingstock, a dangerous demagogue, and furthermore...
Trump Supporter: What part of NOT BLACK are you not getting?

Sunny Daze 10-22-2018 07:03 PM

I guess he hoped for some quality debating from that OP? He should have been warned for trolling.

Lancia 10-22-2018 08:03 PM

A while back I came across this thread:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=698093

My first response was, "WTF kind of idiot would believe this shit?!" followed by "oh, it's that dipshit Ditka. No surprise there." Finally it hit me that that thread was from 2012. 20-fucking-12. So this worthless troll has been dropping big piles all over the boards for at least 6 years now. How he's managed to avoid the banhammer is beyond me.

El_Kabong 10-22-2018 10:24 PM

Channeling HurricaneDitka

President Trump appears to have settled on his closing argument for the 2018 campaign season: "Democrats stomp kittens, Republicans knit mittens".

Personally, I think it's rather catchy, and a sadly-accurate reflection of the current state of affairs in American politics, but I'm curious what my fellow Dopers think. Have any of you (I'm particularly curious what the leftists think, but the couple of other conservatives are welcome to opine as well) been turned off by leftist kitten stomping? Even if you personally approve, do you worry that it might be turning off moderates / independent voters? Or do you think this sort of thing will be a great electoral boon for Dems?

RitterSport 10-23-2018 02:51 PM

I've tried to engage him in good faith a few times now. We had some good back and forth in a thread I started about whether Kavanaugh lied. But this latest thread? I'm done with him.

Two things really stood out -- one was "Hey, I'm not saying Republicans make more jobs, just that they produce jobs." Same thing on the "mobs" side.

The second thing that wasn't called out enough (I think someone called him out before that garbage was closed) was when he was asking for cites from lefties that Republicans produce more mobs. It was his claim that Dems make more (no, wait, he later claimed that wasn't what he and Trump were claiming, just that they produce mobs), so he should provide the cites. Elections is a debate forum -- it's not MPSIMS. When you make claims, you bring cites, just like I did on the jobs side. Oh yeah, and when he did provide "cites" he just puked up a bunch of links, half of which didn't even show what he was trying to prove. Which, of course, isn't relevant to the question of which side produces more mobs.

What a disingenuous asshole. Definitely done with that guy.

Skywatcher 10-25-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness (Post 21286349)
But it's very absurd to hijack your own thread into a back-and-forth on the question of whether 14% is characterized best as "not almost any" or "barely any" or "only a tiny minority" or whatever.

Or very trolling.

Lance Turbo 10-30-2018 01:08 PM

It's annoying when people put their sig in the the body of the post so you can't block it by turning off sigs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka (Post 21289939)
This post is sheer is ignorance on display.

That's his sig, right?

iiandyiiii 10-31-2018 02:46 PM

Ditka is concerned that the fact that a Republican candidate distributed a Christian pamphlet which called for the slaughter of religiously dissident men might just be "played up by the media":

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...8#post21296498

CaptMurdock 10-31-2018 02:47 PM

Got a new goodie:

In replying to a post about a candidate in Washington state whose leaked manifesto, in essence, called for a Christian state, an end to abortion without exception, and an end to gay marriage...and anybody who resisted this could be killed.

Here was His Lordship's response.

Context. It ain't just for breakfast anymore, apparently. :rolleyes:

The Tooth 10-31-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reindeer Flotilla (Post 21281408)
It's also for a lot along the lines of:

Everyone else: But the replacement is embarrassingly ignorant, a laughingstock, a dangerous demagogue, and furthermore...

Really? People are that up front about it to your face?

I think I'd be pretty shocked at that.

andros 10-31-2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tooth (Post 21297498)

I know, right?

wolfpup 10-31-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptMurdock (Post 21297032)
Got a new goodie:

In replying to a post about a candidate in Washington state whose leaked manifesto, in essence, called for a Christian state, an end to abortion without exception, and an end to gay marriage...and anybody who resisted this could be killed.

Here was His Lordship's response.

Context. It ain't just for breakfast anymore, apparently. :rolleyes:

Well, context is important, so here is some context about this character, Matt Shea, that Ditka is so supportive and fond of (cite for these quotes):

- Shea objects to being characterized as an "extremist" since it's just a plain fact that "the United States is 'a Christian nation' and his detractors are part of a 'counter state' made up of 'Marxists' and 'Islamists'."

- Shea embraces far-right conspiracy theories, associates with a fundamentalist religious group in northern Stevens County and champions a push for a 51st state called "Liberty".

- His manifesto resembles the work of the Marble Community Fellowship, a Stevens County congregation practicing a strain of fundamentalist Christianity called "dominionism", and which authored its own document referring to Jews as "anti-Christs" and condemning interracial marriage. And sho'nuff, Shea has been a featured speaker at Marble's annual Fourth of July God and Country Celebration.

- Shea visited right-wing activists during their armed occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Eastern Oregon in 2016. According to one of Shea's prominent critics, "The goal of these groups has always been to create a white homeland consisting of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon and Washington. The ideas presented in the (biblical war) document are how these groups intend to seize control, by force, should there be a governmental collapse or civil war."

So, no big deal then. Context is everything, as Ditka says. The "manifesto" was probably just Sunday school notes, as Ditka informs us. That's probably why the FBI and the Joint Terrorism Task Force are now giving this upstanding citizen a close look. It's that nefarious Sunday school connection. A citizen so fine and upstanding, in fact, that he was allegedly relieved of his weapons while serving in Iraq due to anger management issues, and accused of pulling a gun on another motorist in a road rage incident (cite).

AFAICT, Ditka supports this guy not so much because of a shared ideology, but because he's more or less a kindred spirit -- practically a brother, one might say!

Reindeer Flotilla 11-01-2018 01:59 AM

Quote:

Wow, based on that response I suspect a lot of blatant obvious behavior comes as a shock to you.

Unless of course you really do get this and you're trying to deflect and thus excuse it.

The Tooth 11-01-2018 07:40 AM

The only excuse I can think of for the way Republicans behave is oxygen deprivation in the womb.

Ann Hedonia 11-01-2018 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpup (Post 21297716)
Well, context is important, so here is some context about this character, Matt Shea, that Ditka is so supportive and fond of (cite for these quotes):

- Shea objects to being characterized as an "extremist" since it's just a plain fact that "the United States is 'a Christian nation' and his detractors are part of a 'counter state' made up of 'Marxists' and 'Islamists'."

- Shea embraces far-right conspiracy theories, associates with a fundamentalist religious group in northern Stevens County and champions a push for a 51st state called "Liberty".

- His manifesto resembles the work of the Marble Community Fellowship, a Stevens County congregation practicing a strain of fundamentalist Christianity called "dominionism", and which authored its own document referring to Jews as "anti-Christs" and condemning interracial marriage. And sho'nuff, Shea has been a featured speaker at Marble's annual Fourth of July God and Country Celebration.

- Shea visited right-wing activists during their armed occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Eastern Oregon in 2016. According to one of Shea's prominent critics, "The goal of these groups has always been to create a white homeland consisting of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon and Washington. The ideas presented in the (biblical war) document are how these groups intend to seize control, by force, should there be a governmental collapse or civil war."

So, no big deal then. Context is everything, as Ditka says. The "manifesto" was probably just Sunday school notes, as Ditka informs us. That's probably why the FBI and the Joint Terrorism Task Force are now giving this upstanding citizen a close look. It's that nefarious Sunday school connection. A citizen so fine and upstanding, in fact, that he was allegedly relieved of his weapons while serving in Iraq due to anger management issues, and accused of pulling a gun on another motorist in a road rage incident (cite).

AFAICT, Ditka supports this guy not so much because of a shared ideology, but because he's more or less a kindred spirit -- practically a brother, one might say!

Well, his manifesto is some major league crazy, but I think it lacks the coherency to be frightening.

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/khq/SHEAWAR.pdf

If they passed it out in a Sunday School, that makes it even funnier. Picture an army of saved and circumcised MEN from stable homes riding into battle on an ARK with TRUMPETS, praising the Lord before, during and after battle. It’s like a Hurricane Ditka fever dream. No wonder he wants to give the guy a blowjob.

Shodan 11-01-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tooth (Post 21298076)
The only excuse I can think of for the way Republicans behave is oxygen deprivation in the womb.

I can think of others - for instance, that this -
Quote:

didn't really happen. Imaginary things are excusable. YMMV.

Regards,
Shodan

Ravenman 11-01-2018 08:04 AM

I also note that HD has fell in with the D'Anconia pattern of basically just posting questions. I'm sure it's his reaction to feeling like he's an oppressed minority: "First they banned the racist Clothahump, then they banned the sexist Starving Artist... I'm just going to troll the libs until they ban me!"

Ravenman 11-01-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodan (Post 21298105)
I can think of others - for instance, that this - didn't really happen. Imaginary things are excusable.

Richard Spencer isn't relieved not to have a black president anymore?

Huh.

The Tooth 11-01-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodan (Post 21298105)
I can think of others - for instance, that this - didn't really happen. Imaginary things are excusable. YMMV.

Regards,
Shodan

Fuck off, Republican.

Nava 11-01-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Well, she had her back to me, but about a year ago I was visiting some of the nicest parts within that large flat area in the middle of the USA, as part of a group of people from Belgium.

One of the saleswomen in the location we were visiting went on a rant about how disrespectful CK&co were for kneeling during the anthem and every life matters and those guys think they can do anything they want and against immigrants and Muslims and Catholics, in front of at least 3 immigrants of varied skin tones, a dozen Catholics and 2 black coworkers of hers. Judging by the rolleyes the black guys gave, it wasn't the first time she did it. The one Muslim who was part of my group didn't happen to be in the room.

Quite a few people have an amazing ability to become deaf and blind when they're on a rant.

wguy123 11-01-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia (Post 21298101)
Well, his manifesto is some major league crazy, but I think it lacks the coherency to be frightening.

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/khq/SHEAWAR.pdf

If they passed it out in a Sunday School, that makes it even funnier. Picture an army of saved and circumcised MEN from stable homes riding into battle on an ARK with TRUMPETS, praising the Lord before, during and after battle. Itís like a Hurricane Ditka fever dream. No wonder he wants to give the guy a blowjob.

I went to a pretty fucked up, patriarchal, fire-and-brimstone "christian" church growing up and I don't remember anything like this manifesto being passed out. That Marble County church is all kinds of fucked up if this is what they are teaching in Sunday school. I feel sorry for those kids and hope they can someday escape.

Thing Fish 11-01-2018 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpup (Post 21297716)

Yeah, occasionally he can seem like he might be a reasonable person open to having an honest discussion, but then he'll pull something like this. The mods should really pull their heads out of their asses and ban him, rather than protect him from the predictable and justifiable outrage that his statements provoke in normal, decent people, as we see Bone doing in this thread.

Vinyl Turnip 11-01-2018 12:05 PM

But who'll take over the fundie-wingnut-sealioning-JAQoff duties when he's gone?

kambuckta 11-01-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip (Post 21298602)
But who'll take over the fundie-wingnut-sealioning-JAQoff duties when he's gone?

You could do it Vinyl! Just pretend you had an epiphany (or a crack to yer' skull, take your pick) and become a fundie-wingnut-jacker-offerer.

I, for one, would subscribe to your newsletter.

Thing Fish 11-07-2018 12:01 AM

Whoa, looks like per our election bet, Ditka will have to donate about $150 to the charity of my choice. I'm taking suggestions.:D

Aspenglow 11-07-2018 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thing Fish (Post 21308714)
Whoa, looks like per our election bet, Ditka will have to donate about $150 to the charity of my choice. I'm taking suggestions.:D

$50 for the ACLU, $50 for Indivisible and $50 for Planned Parenthood, is my suggestion.

iiandyiiii 11-07-2018 03:51 AM

Link for the bet?

Thing Fish 11-07-2018 10:06 PM

I don't remember which thread it started in, but we clarified the terms by PM. He owes $10 for every million Democratic House votes in excess of 46 million. So, it looks like we will end up with around 62 million, which would be $150. The only limitation is the contribution has to be to a tax deductable charity organization.

Aspenglow 11-07-2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thing Fish (Post 21310897)
I don't remember which thread it started in, but we clarified the terms by PM. He owes $10 for every million Democratic House votes in excess of 46 million. So, it looks like we will end up with around 62 million, which would be $150. The only limitation is the contribution has to be to a tax deductable charity organization.

Hmmm. Well, $75 to Indivisible and $75 to Planned Parenthood, then.

kambuckta 11-08-2018 12:14 AM

He's not going to acknowledge seeing these posts about the wager you know.

Apparently he doesn't frequent the Pit, because it's just nasty down here. :D

septimus 11-08-2018 03:15 AM

Quote:

The only morsel of political philosophy I've ever been able to discern from HurricaneDildo is that he loves Donald Trump, and his highest aspiration is to emulate the orange sociopath. Given that, guess what your chance of collecting on a bet is.

I'll bet dinner at the best restaurant in my province that the charity never sees a penny of that $150.

Thing Fish 11-08-2018 03:57 AM

Yeah, the question of enforcement has crossed my mind...he told me he would be traveling for a few weeks after the election, so we shall see.

I definitely wouldn't touch your bet, although I would be happy to buy you dinner there if I am ever in your province.

galen ubal 11-08-2018 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thing Fish (Post 21310897)

Gotta be something related to gun control. :D

iiandyiiii 11-08-2018 04:08 AM

Let us know if he replies to your PMs!

Ann Hedonia 11-08-2018 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thing Fish (Post 21311117)
Yeah, the question of enforcement has crossed my mind...he told me he would be traveling for a few weeks after the election, so we shall see.

I definitely wouldn't touch your bet, although I would be happy to buy you dinner there if I am ever in your province.

He’s just a big fucking snowflake liar. Because even though he didn’t POST anything yesterday, he’s been active since then. He’s just crying and wetting his pants while pretending he’s on some sort of post election business trip. Because he’s a bigger fucking baby than his sniveling kid. Like McDonalds is going to send him on a cross country trip to teach other countermen how to make fries.

elucidator 11-08-2018 09:08 AM

In the case of McDonalds, "fries" are a misnomer. They are "soaks", lowered into boiling grease just long enough to thaw.

andros 11-08-2018 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elucidator (Post 21311439)
In the case of McDonalds, "fries" are a misnomer. They are "soaks", lowered into boiling grease just long enough to thaw.

Pistols at dawn, varlet.

Thing Fish 11-14-2018 03:19 PM

Looks like the final vote count has Dems at a hair over $56 million, so that'll be $100.

The Tooth 11-14-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia (Post 21311173)
Heís just a big fucking snowflake liar. Because even though he didnít POST anything yesterday, heís been active since then. Heís just crying and wetting his pants while pretending heís on some sort of post election business trip. Because heís a bigger fucking baby than his sniveling kid. Like McDonalds is going to send him on a cross country trip to teach other countermen how to make fries.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's hanging out on your southern border hoping he gets a chance to protect you from the scary healthy young men with leprosy and smallpox and possibly scurvy too.

k9bfriender 11-14-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tooth (Post 21323285)
I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's hanging out on your southern border hoping he gets a chance to protect you from the scary healthy young men with leprosy and smallpox and possibly scurvy too.

Actually the people down on the border are hoping to get a chance to purloin some sweet national guard equipment.

Ann Hedonia 11-14-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tooth (Post 21323285)

Wherever he is, he has internet access. Because his last activity was today, even though he’s been too butthurt to post since the election. Whiny snowflake. And he probably doesn’t know we can tell. But what do you expect from the kind of person that’s scared to go to Applebee’s without an AR-15?

The Tooth 11-14-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia (Post 21323335)
Wherever he is, he has internet access.

Oh. Well, that rules out a good chunk of rural America.

manson1972 11-16-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Did this guy ever show back up? I don't care about idiocy, but I'm a big fan of integrity.

kambuckta 11-17-2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson1972 (Post 21327776)
Did this guy ever show back up? I don't care about idiocy, but I'm a big fan of integrity.

Whoah now there son, integrity? That's a big ask from HD don't you think?

:D