Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   The BBQ Pit (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I forget, do we have a general HurricaneDitka Pit thread? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=846268)

Ravenman 11-17-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroutMan (Post 21978058)
It's always the old white guy who thinks theirs is the only important perspective.

I didnít really read your post but my opinion matters the most, which is that the opinion of old white men matter the most.

Feel free to continue yammering until I interrupt to tell you the way things really are.

Kobal2 11-17-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 21974284)
What is the matter with you people who continue to let HD hijack threads??? WHY do y'all engage with him?? Why do you let him dominate discussions when he brings NOTHING to the table??

HE will not answer a straight question, but I wish one of you would.

It is beyond pointless. When I've been out all day, I'll click into one of the political threads and see page after page after page of useless BLATHER where people address "points" that HD has made in (I assume) the vain hope that he will see the light or even reply with something other than CRAP.

Well, speaking for myself, and beyond the mere affect inherent to a troll's troll posts ; lies the problem of bullshit and its asymmetry. If you just let these asshats drop their deuce in a debate and that deuce is not addressed, then it can be seen by a reader as unchallenged, ergo valid take or opinion ; which lets silent holders of similar opinions comfort themselves in their own shit being valid. The turd keeps floating in the metaphorical punchbowl, and who wants to drink punch from a bowl that has a giant turd floating in it ? At worst it can even become "HA ! Teh libz just can't dispute The Truth !" (see: creationists lauding Duane Gish as a feared debater of epic skills and undisputed worth because after a while non-creationists simply refused to speak with that disingenuous asscozy).

So engaging feels like a form of community self-defence, or defending the integrity of the debate, or just performing for the benefit of an unseen, possibly imagined audience.

And yet, because debunking multifaceted bullshit takes effort and cites and so on ; but the production of multifaceted bullshit merely involves parroting nonsense, the relative effort of trolling vs. sincerity is super lopsided, which means the bad faith take always "wins" by exhaustion in an open-ended discussion format.
I don't know how this equation can be solved short of just kicking bad faith arguers out.

Quote:

I don't believe he and the other disruptors care one bit about the CONTENT of the discussion. They get a buzz from the attention. That's it.
That might be the case for some subset of trolls, but HD employs language and rhetoric tricks that are too close to legit far-right, Breitbart chugging shit-for-brains that I have no problem assuming he's sincere in his shitheadery and disruption. He does it with an agenda beyond the mere lulz. It's bad faith with an agenda. octopus is the same although with a more openly antagonistic bent, a lesser focus on sealioning.

QuickSilver 11-17-2019 11:09 AM

IOW: Up with this, I will not put!

Sunny Daze 11-17-2019 11:19 AM

"Asscozy" :D

Kobal2 11-17-2019 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickSilver (Post 21978126)
IOW: Up with this, I will not put!

Hmmm, more "This is shit up with which shall not be put". Because it's not about the *I*, it's about the shitness :D

QuickSilver 11-17-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobal2 (Post 21978190)
Hmmm, more "This is shit up with which shall not be put". Because it's not about the *I*, it's about the shitness :D

You French just love you "Ítre" verbs. ;)

Bumbershoot 11-17-2019 10:37 PM

I've been trying to get down
To the heart of the matter
But my arguments get weak
And my thoughts seem to scatter
But I think it's about
The shitness, the shitness
Even if, even if you don't pit me anymore

Walken After Midnight 11-19-2019 06:44 PM

Referring HD here for my reply to his comment in the impeachment thread, since the subject is now off-limits in that thread.

Hurricane Ditka:
Quote:

That's only the case because Joe Biden got it quashed a couple of years earlier, by extorting the Ukranians with $1B in aid to fire the prosecutor who was investigating Burisma.
The removal of the Prosecutor General of Ukraine, Viktor Shokin, was supported by the European Union (EU), the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the G-7 ambassadors, and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).

Do you believe that they were working together in a conspiracy with Joe Biden to protect Hunter Biden and Burisma Holdings?

snfaulkner 11-19-2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight (Post 21982648)
Referring HD here for my reply to his comment in the impeachment thread, since the subject is now off-limits in that thread.

Hurricane Ditka:

The removal of the Prosecutor General of Ukraine, Viktor Shokin, was supported by the European Union (EU), the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the G-7 ambassadors, and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).

Do you believe that they were working together in a conspiracy with Joe Biden to protect Hunter Biden and Burisma Holdings?

He's too chicken shit to respond in the Pit. Start a non pit thread for him to ignore.

El_Kabong 11-19-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight (Post 21982648)

Hurricane Ditka:

Is there any evidence that Shokin was attempting to investigate Burisma before his firing? I ask because haven't seen any.

Walken After Midnight 11-19-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snfaulkner (Post 21982656)
He's too chicken shit to respond in the Pit. Start a non pit thread for him to ignore.

I'm not sure he can take his theory any further without invoking the Illuminati or a global conspiracy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Kabong (Post 21982787)
Is there any evidence that Shokin was attempting to investigate Burisma before his firing? I ask because haven't seen any.

Bloomberg (Article limit/paywall):
Quote:

President Donald Trumpís personal lawyer is raising the specter that Joe Biden intervened in Ukrainian politics to help his sonís business.

But if that was Bidenís aim, he was more than a year late, based on a timeline laid out by a former Ukrainian official and in Ukrainian documents.
But what has received less attention is that at the time Biden made his ultimatum, the probe into the company -- Burisma Holdings, owned by Mykola Zlochevsky -- had been long dormant, according to the former official, Vitaliy Kasko.

ďThere was no pressure from anyone from the U.S. to close cases against Zlochevsky,Ē Kasko said in an interview last week. ďIt was shelved by Ukrainian prosecutors in 2014 and through 2015.Ē

Kaskoís assessment adds a wrinkle to one of the first political intrigues of the 2020 election season. It undercuts the idea that Biden, now a top Democratic presidential candidate, was seeking to sideline a prosecutor who was actively threatening a company tied to his son. Instead, it appears more consistent with Bidenís previous statements that he was pressing for the removal of a prosecutor who was failing to tackle rampant corruption: According to public reports and internal documents from the Ukrainian prosecutorís office, U.S. officials had expressed concern for more than a year about Ukrainian prosecutorsí failure to assist an international investigation of Zlochevsky.

snfaulkner 11-19-2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight (Post 21982841)
I'm not sure he can take his theory any further without invoking the Illuminati or a global conspiracy.

Let him show us. Either how chicken shit, or how full of shit he is.

snfaulkner 11-19-2019 11:44 PM

Someone please respond to HD in the current misogyny thread with something like this...im too drunk and fear being warned...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka (Post 21983015)
If people get upset that I'm repeating a well-publicized name, I'd politely suggest the problem is with them, not me. People post stuff here all the time that they know will upset me. I get over it. They can too.

I don't think you're in any position to judge my intent. You've misjudged it here. And I think you've misrepresented the reason for my suspension as well.

Once again, you've demonstrated that you're bad at guessing my intent.

Maybe you need to do some self reflection on how you express yourself? Everyone does from time to time. I know I make a drunken idiot out of myself here all the time; politics threads, game threads, you name it. But i try to be direct and to the point. With you, it always feels you are dancing around the point. Just say what it is you are trying to say. Stop making us "guess" your "intent". Because it sounds like your intents are pretty un-empathetic, to put it mildly.

Skywatcher 11-19-2019 11:52 PM

He's a Trumpeteer. They, like their guru, don't give a shit about empathy.

snfaulkner 11-19-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywatcher (Post 21983044)
He's a Trumpeteer. They, like their guru, don't give a shit about empathy.

They take pride in it. Classy for a supposedly devout mormon.

Kolak of Twilo 11-20-2019 12:05 AM

The existence of this thread just feeds the ego of this inbred mouthbreather. He exists solely to hijack threads.

Why any poster engages with him is beyond me. It just leads to any discussion getting disrupted and derailed.

IGNORE ALL OF HIS POSTS. There is no value in responding to him in any thread, any forum.

Ann Hedonia 11-20-2019 06:16 AM

Nm wrong thread

But while Iím here, letís change Ditkaís name to Pussy Comitatus

TroutMan 11-20-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka (Post 21984592)
You started an ATMB thread to discuss a post of mine that you perceived as misogynistic. I asked you a question in that thread and you didn't answer it (or if you did, I missed your answer). I'd like to give you the opportunity to do so here, if you're willing, and perhaps have a bit of discussion around the issue that you described as "about the most important issue in the world to me". Who knows, maybe you'll even persuade me of a thing or two.

And the bait is cast! I'm sure HD will make this a useful discussion, not just a bunch of JAQ-ing off. Who will he catch with his so devilishly clever trolling?

Babale 11-20-2019 04:35 PM

No one, hopefully. Like others have said, let him come here, or stay alone.

madmonk28 11-20-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo (Post 21983058)
The existence of this thread just feeds the ego of this inbred mouthbreather. He exists solely to hijack threads.

Why any poster engages with him is beyond me. It just leads to any discussion getting disrupted and derailed.

IGNORE ALL OF HIS POSTS. There is no value in responding to him in any thread, any forum.

It is astounding he hasnít been banned, the mods are huge pussies.

Sunny Daze 11-20-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroutMan (Post 21984622)
And the bait is cast! I'm sure HD will make this a useful discussion, not just a bunch of JAQ-ing off. Who will he catch with his so devilishly clever trolling?

He spelled iiandyiiii's name wrong in the title. :rolleyes:

RitterSport 11-21-2019 08:17 AM

HD just posted straight-up Russian propaganda in the Hunter Biden thread.

JohnT 11-21-2019 08:33 AM

For a guy who brings in, at best, $60-odd in annual revenue to this Board, the moderators seem to want to spend a lot of their time and resources on this guy. I mean, the cost-benefit analysis is amazing! Assuming their time is worth, to them, $12/hour, then once they spend more than 5 hours a year dealing with his shit, then Ditka has cost the SDMB+mods more than he's worth.

And yet he remains.

wguy123 11-21-2019 08:40 AM

His thread went swimmingly. Just like the octupus that showed up to defend him being a wimp and scareded of the big, mean pit.

Euphonious Polemic 11-21-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RitterSport (Post 21985685)
HD just posted straight-up Russian propaganda in the Hunter Biden thread.

Just came here to note that as well.

This is beyond the "useful idiot" phase. He's now getting his propaganda direct from the source, and happily lapping it up.

He's basically a Russian asset at this point.

wguy123 11-21-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic (Post 21986301)
Just came here to note that as well.

This is beyond the "useful idiot" phase. He's now getting his propaganda direct from the source, and happily lapping it up.

He's basically a Russian asset at this point.

You're the puppet.

Miller 11-21-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmonk28 (Post 21984760)
It is astounding he hasnít been banned, the mods are huge pussies.

[Moderating]
Although the rules state that complaints about moderation belong in ATMB, not the Pit, I try to allow a little latitude in complaining about the board in general. This sort of direct insult to the mods is, however, over the line. Please do not repeat this sort of remark.

No warning issued.
[/Moderating]

QuickSilver 11-21-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller (Post 21986425)
[Moderating]
Although the rules state that complaints about moderation belong in ATMB, not the Pit, I try to allow a little latitude in complaining about the board in general. This sort of direct insult to the mods is, however, over the line. Please do not repeat this sort of remark.

No warning issued.
[/Moderating]

QED!

...<ducks and runs>....

octopus 11-21-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wguy123 (Post 21985723)
His thread went swimmingly. Just like the octupus that showed up to defend him being a wimp and scareded of the big, mean pit.

Hey!

Who knows how the thread would have progressed?

wguy123 11-21-2019 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopus (Post 21986735)
Hey!

Who knows how the thread would have progressed?

Uh....all of us. :D

Skywatcher 11-21-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenman (Post 21985223)
The OP of that thread was playing an obvious game that was just too obvious. ďI just want a civil discussion.Ē Uh-huh.

Yep.

RitterSport 11-30-2019 03:59 AM

In this thread, HD shows that he can't actually tell the difference between encouraging discussion and reasoned argument (what Obama was doing) and trolling (what Jr is doing).

Shocker!

Gyrate 12-02-2019 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RitterSport (Post 22001179)
In this thread, HD shows that he can't actually tell the difference between encouraging discussion and reasoned argument (what Obama was doing) and trolling (what Jr is doing).

Shocker!

Oh, I'm sure he understands the difference very well indeed.

snfaulkner 12-02-2019 11:04 AM

Hey, at least he wasn't trying to derail the thread...

CaptMurdock 12-02-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RitterSport (Post 22001179)

Shocker!

You mean he engaged in mindless Whataboutism and those who didn't have the sense to simply ignore him had to waste the bandwidth to bitch-slap him.

:rolleyes:

Chisquirrel 12-02-2019 12:19 PM

After the actual quote was posted and shown to be nothing like he portrayed it, he hasn't been seen in the thread.

Coward.

QuickSilver 12-02-2019 12:33 PM

Well, he was instructed by the mod to avoid derailment. Besides, having succeeded in accomplishing what he set out to do, why return to post?

Gotta hand it to the guy, he's got his deplorability fully dialed in.

running coach 12-02-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisquirrel (Post 22004585)
After the actual quote was posted and shown to be nothing like he portrayed it, he hasn't been seen in the thread.

Coward.

That's his usual. Best him with a cite he can't dispute, he scuttles away. Unlike D'Asshole who simply declares a cite to be unacceptable.

QuickSilver 12-02-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running coach (Post 22004611)
That's his usual. Best him with a cite he can't dispute, he scuttles away. Unlike D'Asshole who simply declares a cite to be unacceptable.

Or Urbanredneck, who refuses to read any cite provided.

Skywatcher 12-10-2019 01:30 PM

Look who's holding out hope that Hillary sees another EC loss, citing the Daily Fail.

iiandyiiii 12-10-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywatcher (Post 22019297)

Good for JC for shutting that shit down. Obvious trolling.

He started this thread, about advice for women and rape/sexual assault: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=886260

I was sure it was another bout of misogynistic trolling. It turned out to spark a decent discussion that's still ongoing.

But you know what's interesting? HD hasn't posted since the OP. Not a single response. Just goes to show, once again, that he has absolutely no interest in real discussion and debate. Never has, never will. Just a trolling piece of shit.

wguy123 12-10-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 22019592)
Good for JC for shutting that shit down. Obvious trolling.

He started this thread, about advice for women and rape/sexual assault: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=886260

I was sure it was another bout of misogynistic trolling. It turned out to spark a decent discussion that's still ongoing.

But you know what's interesting? HD hasn't posted since the OP. Not a single response. Just goes to show, once again, that he has absolutely no interest in real discussion and debate. Never has, never will. Just a trolling piece of shit.

I noticed the same thing about that thread. He started a good one, but obviously didn't like the direction it went and has never replied. He isn't popping into his "trump is a statesman" NK thread these days either.

iiandyiiii 12-10-2019 07:48 PM

Banned. Holy shit. Wow.

KarlGauss 12-10-2019 07:49 PM

I forget, do we have a general HurricaneDitka Pit thread?

Won't need one anymore.

SteveG1 12-10-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiandyiiii (Post 22019930)
Banned. Holy shit. Wow.

Bye, Felicia!

Aspenglow 12-10-2019 07:52 PM

And the board rejoiced.

Euphonious Polemic 12-10-2019 07:54 PM

Ding Dong, the Troll is Dead.

galen ubal 12-10-2019 07:55 PM

Good.

steronz 12-10-2019 07:59 PM

Better late than never.

Miller 12-10-2019 08:25 PM

Since Ditka's been sent back to the locker room, I'm closing this.