Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Game of Thrones 8.06 "The Iron Throne" 5/19/2019 Show Discussion (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=875782)

SenorBeef 05-19-2019 04:21 PM

Game of Thrones 8.06 "The Iron Throne" 5/19/2019 Show Discussion
 
Whee, last time we have to do this.

This is for show discussion with the show as its own entity. No book talk. Using book knowledge to guess about the ending of the show is the perfect thing to discuss in this show/book thread, not this one.

Open spoilers about the show once it begins airing on the east coast/streaming in a few hours. If you have an actual spoiler (taken from leaks from cast interviews or gossip magazines or whatever) that would be an appropriate use for a spoiler box. A few of us would prefer that if you want to talk about plot points revealed in "next week on..." promos you warn people that you'll be discussing that first. Thank you.

Previous thread (with links to previous seasons found in the first OP of the season):

8.01 "Winterfell"
8.02 "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms"
8.03 "The Long Night"
8.04 "The Last of the Starks"
8.05 "The Bells"

Show/book open spoilers discussion thread

Sherrerd 05-19-2019 04:26 PM

It's going to break cable (and internet, if the HBO Go feed starts at the same time).

My prediction: Evil Dany gets either chomped or fried by Drogon, after she orders Drogon to kill Jon, and Drogon decides the True Heir and Rightful Noble Ruler is Jon. ("Fried" as a possibility because though as far as we know Dany is immune to regular fire, we don't know for certain that she's immune to a dragon's building-exploding exhalations.)

Further prediction: the writers won't make up for the rest of season 8 with this episode; millions will have to work very hard to rationalize why this episode was Perfect, while millions more will shrug and move on. (After cancelling their HBO subscriptions.)

SenorBeef 05-19-2019 04:29 PM

Your second prediction is wrong. The internet has full on turned into "LOL D&D COULD NEVER WRITE THIS SHOW IS AWFUL" circle jerk, it's actually the opposite - even if it's great, the internet is going to call it the worst episode ever.

Sherrerd 05-19-2019 04:50 PM

Well, some would go along with the crowd, true.

But, shockingly, there are still people in this world who think for themselves.

On the topic of this episode: it's not easy to see how the bad (to some of us) decisions made in the first five episodes of the season can be redeemed. I mean, the sweeping aside of the entire "winter is coming" theme alone is difficult to rationalize (though I know some have managed it).

HBO is probably happy no matter what. They've made back their investment, I expect, and then some.

Mahaloth 05-19-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherrerd (Post 21651121)
My prediction: Evil Dany gets either chomped or fried by Drogon...

If she can't survive dragon fire, you gotta be kidding me.

SenorBeef 05-19-2019 04:54 PM

The predictions I've seen that

SPOILER:

Drogon kills Dany, or specifically that Bran wargs into Drogon and kills Dany


so common that I suspect that they aren't "predictions" but people who read the leaks and want to seem smart by spoiling it for people. If that ends up being the case, there are a whole lot of dicks out there.

SenorBeef 05-19-2019 04:57 PM

To be clear, there are no actual spoilers in my spoiler box. I'm just commenting on a "prediction" I've seen a lot of people make. But I spoiler boxed it just in case people want to avoid even reading about predictions - although in that case coming to the show thread a few hours before air time is probably a bad idea.

Also, I may be wrong. Those may be totally organic predictions and it may turn out to be wrong. But the number of times and context I've seen it crop up makes me suspicious.

HammerJoe 05-19-2019 05:09 PM

I for one will be very sad to see this show ending... I cant believe its been 12 years...

Flander 05-19-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Hart
It's about to go down!

I just want to watch and enjoy the show. I want to see all the fuckery. I want to see the faces of those who KNEW what was going to happen. It is either going to be an ending like Breaking Bad or Lost? Or....


It was all part of Olly's imagination.

#fuckolly

Bijou Drains 05-19-2019 05:19 PM

I'm staying indoors to avoid debris from exploding heads starting around 10:20, mainly from book fans.

Sherrerd 05-19-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenorBeef (Post 21651163)
The predictions I've seen that

SPOILER:

Drogon kills Dany, or specifically that Bran wargs into Drogon and kills Dany


so common that I suspect that they aren't "predictions" but people who read the leaks and want to seem smart by spoiling it for people. If that ends up being the case, there are a whole lot of dicks out there.

I haven't seen any leaks. I predicted this six days ago, https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...1#post21640581

...based on my reading of the most humiliating possible death for Dany, given the plot elements still in play as of the fifth episode.

Having her "child" turn on her would be the worst thing that could happen to her, and that's what the writers are going for, I believe.

I have no predictions about Bran warging. Admittedly that would help the writers dispose of the objection that Bran hasn't had any seeming role in the plot other than to sit under a tree as a magnet for the Night King, but having him warg into Drogon would remove the "humiliating for Dany" aspect, so I'd be very surprised if the show runners went that way.

Mahaloth 05-19-2019 05:27 PM

My predictions remain basically this(most of my original predictions are fulfilled or destroyed now):

1. Jon kills Dany in a very dramatic scene. Like, says he loves her, but stabs her through or something. I have no idea what would happen to the dragon at this point.

2. Jon is encouraged to take the throne, but abandons westeros to go north. Maybe even meets up with Ghost and Tormund.

3. Sansa takes the throne with Tyrion as her hand(and possibly husband????)

4. No Azor Ahai prophecy resolution given to us, which is insane, but I cynically think is the case.

Flander 05-19-2019 07:17 PM

Has anyone postulated that Bran might warg into Jon to kill Dany? You know, for the greater good? That would be neat.

Mahaloth 05-19-2019 07:48 PM

Think we get any insight at all to the odd behavior of Bran during the Night King battle? I mean, he clearly told him about the fire-trench and the way they looked at each other just before Arya killed him.....I mean, there had to be something!

lisiate 05-19-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flander (Post 21651187)
I just want to watch and enjoy the show. I want to see all the fuckery. I want to see the faces of those who KNEW what was going to happen. It is either going to be an ending like Breaking Bad or Lost? Or....


It was all part of Olly's imagination.

#fuckolly

r/freefolk is going to be in overdrive.

Ranger Jeff 05-19-2019 08:34 PM

No one has mentioned the possibility of Arya ending the Dany claim to the Throne.

Mahaloth 05-19-2019 08:53 PM

Holy cow, they are picking Bran to be king.

Mahaloth 05-19-2019 09:07 PM

Any episode title yet?

Sunny Daze 05-19-2019 09:09 PM

What. the. fuck. It's like they brain-stormed the ending that made the least sense.

Mahaloth 05-19-2019 09:16 PM

Well, I can accept this as the ending. I'm not hugely impressed, but it did not ruin everything in my opinion.

Bran makes an oddly not that bad choice.

Snarky_Kong 05-19-2019 09:22 PM

Eh. That was fine. Didn't ruin anything, didn't knock it out of the park.

Although I really disliked the Small Council scene. People have been joking about Sam presenting ASOIAF as a stupid and cliche ending, then it happened. The dialogue in that scene was pretty bad too.

manson1972 05-19-2019 09:22 PM

Jesus, I think Lost had a better ending.

And I thought for sure I wouldn't have to see that stupid wolf again.

Best part: Sam suggesting that all people get a vote, and everyone laughing at him.

Edited a second time: Why would people knowingly choose going to live in the freezing, snowy land north of the wall? How do they even get food there?

Dewey Finn 05-19-2019 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny Daze (Post 21651501)
What. the. fuck. It's like they brain-stormed the ending that made the least sense.

I don't agree. I liked the ending quite a bit. I particularly liked the first shot of Dany approaching to address her troops, with the dragon right behind her, so the wings appeared to be hers. And I liked the Tolkien-esque ending with the book being presented.

Dewey Finn 05-19-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson1972 (Post 21651516)
Best part: Sam suggesting that all people get a vote, and everyone laughing at him.

Wasn't he previously shown to be a man ahead of his time?

Biggirl 05-19-2019 09:25 PM

50 minutes of me bawling my eyes out. I'm such a sucker.

DigitalC 05-19-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong (Post 21651515)
Eh. That was fine. Didn't ruin anything, didn't knock it out of the park.

Although I really disliked the Small Council scene. People have been joking about Sam presenting ASOIAF as a stupid and cliche ending, then it happened. The dialogue in that scene was pretty bad too.

Yeah, that was about as good as they could have done given their previous choices. I loved the small council scene though, but Tyrion not being mentioned at all in the book makes zero sense.

manson1972 05-19-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Finn (Post 21651519)
Wasn't he previously shown to be a man ahead of his time?

Yeah, I guess a little TOO ahead.

Snarky_Kong 05-19-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggirl (Post 21651521)
50 minutes of me bawling my eyes out. I'm such a sucker.

Two moments almost got me. Arya crying when she said goodbye to Jon, but the bigger one was Brienne filling in Jaime's entry in the White Book.

Dale Sams 05-19-2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggirl (Post 21651521)
50 minutes of me bawling my eyes out. I'm such a sucker.

Good for you!! Me too!

Bijou Drains 05-19-2019 09:30 PM

I liked it . They ended where it started , heading out north of the wall.

Mahaloth 05-19-2019 09:30 PM

I thought Jon killing Dany is something they should have reshot to make it more dramatic and emotional. It just kind of "thunk" and that is all there is.

Dude, there is a dragon out there!

Dale Sams 05-19-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson1972 (Post 21651516)
Jesus, I think Lost had a better ending.

And I thought for sure I wouldn't have to see that stupid wolf again.

Best part: Sam suggesting that all people get a vote, and everyone laughing at him.

Edited a second time: Why would people knowingly choose going to live in the freezing, snowy land north of the wall? How do they even get food there?

Same way they always did? Besides the plant we saw says winter is over

manson1972 05-19-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Finn (Post 21651517)
I particularly liked the first shot of Dany approaching to address her troops, with the dragon right behind her, so the wings appeared to be hers.

That was my second favorite part.

asterion 05-19-2019 09:32 PM

I can't help but think that if the books actually ever get published to give exactly the same ending it will still be better executed.

On the plus side, maybe Bran or Sam will wind up inventing the Westerosi with Disabilities Act.

Dale Sams 05-19-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahaloth (Post 21651510)
Well, I can accept this as the ending. I'm not hugely impressed, but it did not ruin everything in my opinion.

Bran makes an oddly not that bad choice.

Yeah...after I heard the spoliers (and eff all you peeps who did that) I was like..."My first instinct is to say WTF", but its such an odd chioce I think theyll make it work

Paul in Qatar 05-19-2019 09:33 PM

So how many hours until this is broadcast?

Ashtura 05-19-2019 09:33 PM

Lol, I was prepared for people to get their throat slit at any moment, even in the "happy" scenes.

Seems like it was written not to upset anyone. Except I'm sure Dany lovers will be furious of course. I have a smile on my face so I guess I liked it.

Bijou Drains 05-19-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asterion (Post 21651536)
I can't help but think that if the books actually ever get published to give exactly the same ending it will still be better executed.

Don't hold your breath for those books.

A Dodgy Dude 05-19-2019 09:34 PM

With the White Walkers dead and peace made with the Wildlings, what exactly is the Night's Watch watching for? :confused:

N9IWP 05-19-2019 09:36 PM

Well, rumors that Bran would be king turned out to be true. I was curious about the Night's Watch (note, the Lord Commander is elected -- not sure if Jon was reelected or not. Glad we saw Tormund and Ghost)
Arya sailing off to the west is cool, if not really what I pictured for her.
And everyone was just "Ok, the North can be independent" without a peep
Can Sam be Grand Maester and Lord Tarly?

But all in all a decent ending IMHO. GRRM said the ending is "bittersweet" and I guess this qualifies.

Brian

Bijou Drains 05-19-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Dodgy Dude (Post 21651543)
With the White Walkers dead and peace made with the Wildlings, what exactly is the Night's Watch watching for? :confused:

I was thinking they might show another white walker alive . I guess they still need the night's watch to send guys who break laws and for other reasons.

USCDiver 05-19-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson1972 (Post 21651516)
Best part: Sam suggesting that all people get a vote, and everyone laughing at him.

Sam: We the people, of the six kingdoms, in order to form a more perfect Westeros....

Quote:

Edited a second time: Why would people knowingly choose going to live in the freezing, snowy land north of the wall? How do they even get food there?
The Free Folk ainít bending no knee. So the only place for them to go is north of the wall.

Dale Sams 05-19-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N9IWP (Post 21651545)
Well, rumors that Bran would be king turned out to be true. I was curious about the Night's Watch (note, the Lord Commander is elected -- not sure if Jon was reelected or not. Glad we saw Tormund and Ghost)
Arya sailing off to the west is cool, if not really what I pictured for her.
And everyone was just "Ok, the North can be independent" without a peep
Can Sam be Grand Maester and Lord Tarly?

But all in all a decent ending IMHO. GRRM said the ending is "bittersweet" and I guess this qualifies.

Brian

I don't think Jon is coming back....at least he isn't in my head canon.

Dewey Finn 05-19-2019 09:38 PM

Anyone notice that Podrick got knighted? (Someone, I think Brienne, introduced him as Ser Podrick.) And can someone list everyone who sat at the meeting in which they selected Bran as king?

Bruce Wayne 05-19-2019 09:38 PM

The season sucked, but at least Westeros is in good hands.

N9IWP 05-19-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahaloth (Post 21651218)
My predictions remain basically this(most of my original predictions are fulfilled or destroyed now):

1. Jon kills Dany in a very dramatic scene. Like, says he loves her, but stabs her through or something. I have no idea what would happen to the dragon at this point.

2. Jon is encouraged to take the throne, but abandons westeros to go north. Maybe even meets up with Ghost and Tormund.

3. Sansa takes the throne with Tyrion as her hand(and possibly husband????)

4. No Azor Ahai prophecy resolution given to us, which is insane, but I cynically think is the case.

Very good!

Brian

Hellestal 05-19-2019 09:39 PM

Braaaaaaaaaan?

What a terrible choice when I have "Gendry" written near the top of the prediction sheet I filled out before this season started.

Mahaloth 05-19-2019 09:39 PM

1. Did Jon really join the Night Watch, or did he and Tormund go further North with the wildings and that is the ending?

2. Who is Azor Ahai??? No one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by asterion (Post 21651536)
I can't help but think that if the books actually ever get published to give exactly the same ending it will still be better executed.

Yes, I think a couple 700+ pages books will make much of this seem better.

squeegee 05-19-2019 09:40 PM

Did I miss it or did the Dothraki not get their own happy ending like all the other groups? Are they just roaming the Westeros countryside? (The unsullied apparently settled some remote island.)

Bijou Drains 05-19-2019 09:40 PM

my son said the others at the meeting were probably the grown up Lord of the vale and prince of Dorne.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.