Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is the "Peanuts" theme (Linus and Lucy) Christmas Music? (https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=710415)

Quimby 12-14-2013 10:02 AM

Is the "Peanuts" theme (Linus and Lucy) Christmas Music?

The 24 hour Christmas Music Radio station and the piano player at the restaurant I was at last night think so. Do you?

Link here if you aren't sure what song I mean.

peedin 12-14-2013 10:13 AM

Although it has been played on other Peanuts specials including the Thanksgiving one, it's most closely association with "A Charlie Brown Christmas." Therefore, IMHO, it is Christmas music.

Annie-Xmas 12-14-2013 10:21 AM

You betcha sweet ass it is. Try listening to the opening bars and not thinking of the Peanust Christmas special. When network executives first saw the show, they wanted the soundtrack changed. Songwriter Vince Guaraldi and Charles Schultz flately refused, and the soundtrack is the best selling TV soundtrack ever.

Prof. Pepperwinkle 12-14-2013 10:27 AM

It's an instrumental from a children's Christmas classic. It's mostly heard only at Christmas time. Yep.

Le Ministre de l'au-delà 12-14-2013 10:34 AM

Yes, it features prominently in one of my all-time favourite Christmas specials. I know it was used in the others - doesn't matter to me. This one's a Christmas song.

Telemark 12-14-2013 10:46 AM

Absolutely, it's not even in question.

Chronos 12-14-2013 10:48 AM

Lots of songs are associated with Christmas despite not really being Christmas songs. "Linus and Lucy" is far from the worst of these. Quick, somebody tell me what makes "Jingle Bell Rock" a Christmas song?

Prof. Pepperwinkle 12-14-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos (Post 16929176)
Lots of songs are associated with Christmas despite not really being Christmas songs. "Linus and Lucy" is far from the worst of these. Quick, somebody tell me what makes "Jingle Bell Rock" a Christmas song?

It's more a winter song, which also get play at Christmas (Let It Snow, Winter Wonderland, Frosty the Snowman, etc.), ESPECIALLY "Jingle Bells".

It does talk of "snowin' and blowin", "prancin' and dancin" (alluding to a couple of notorious reindeer), etc.

pulykamell 12-14-2013 10:52 AM

Not explicitly, but, yes, I associate it with the holidays and Christmas. It almost always comes up on Christmas playlists.

Quote:

Quick, somebody tell me what makes "Jingle Bell Rock" a Christmas song?
It's a song that's lyrically about winter? It's as much a Christmas song as "Jingle Bells" is.

ETA: ninja'd

WhyNot 12-14-2013 10:58 AM

I don't think we have any "winter songs" that aren't "Christmas songs" in our culture, unless they're specifically other religious festival songs, like "The Chanukah Song." Cultural ooze, and a good argument for the secular nature of Santa-and-presents-Christmas, as opposed to the Christian Happy-Birthday-Jesus Christmas.

The Peanuts theme has a far stronger claim to being Christmas Music than "My Favorite Things," which I hear too often on Christmas music themed collections. Makes me stabby.

bup 12-14-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhyNot (Post 16929199)
The Peanuts theme has a far stronger claim to being Christmas Music than "My Favorite Things," which I hear too often on Christmas music themed collections. Makes me stabby.

Agreed.

Besides, Linus and Lucy was ostensibly the music for the "Christmas Show" Charlie Brown was trying to direct. It's not what he wanted, but it's what Schroeder kept playing.

Onomatopoeia 12-14-2013 11:18 AM

I don't really associate the Peanuts theme with Christmas, but I am probably in the minority.

Now, the Peanuts classic Christmas Time is Here is just full of Christmas feels. :)

Chronos 12-14-2013 12:00 PM

"Jingle Bell Rock" isn't even directly a winter song. The only reason it's even associated with winter is that the title and repeating lyric is a call-out to "Jingle Bells", which is a winter song.

Or to take a different approach to it, how is "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring", or Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" a Christmas song? The former is just a generically Christian song, and the latter is specifically an Easter song. Yet they have both become associated with Christmas.

Tim R. Mortiss 12-14-2013 12:06 PM

If "Die Hard" can be a Christmas movie, then "Linus and Lucy" can be a Christmas song.

RealityChuck 12-14-2013 12:09 PM

Why wouldn't it be? It's indelibly connected with a Christmas special. "Your a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" makes no mention of Christmas, either.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor 12-14-2013 12:45 PM

If you want it to be, it is.

pravnik 12-14-2013 01:18 PM

Yes, to me. "Skating" and "Christmastime is Here" even more so (the latter obviously so).

Eureka 12-14-2013 01:21 PM

I want a " it shouldn't be (by the lyrics), but it is in practice" option in the poll.

Loach 12-14-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia (Post 16929231)
I don't really associate the Peanuts theme with Christmas, but I am probably in the minority.

Now, the Peanuts classic Christmas Time is Here is just full of Christmas feels. :)

I never thought it would be a choice. That is the Peanuts theme. It was on a lot of other Peanuts specials not just the Christmas one. Christmas Time is Here is their Christmas Song.

Moe 12-14-2013 04:07 PM

Yes, but personally I have an even stronger association between Skating and Christmas, mainly because around this time every year I'm always trying to play it on the piano. One of these years I'll actually get it up to speed.

Hampshire 12-14-2013 04:08 PM

I never thought it was. It even feels out of place to me on the Charlie Brown Christmas Album. Kind of like they threw in the generic Charlie Brown theme song as a bonus.

Labrador Deceiver 12-14-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eureka (Post 16929494)
I want a " it shouldn't be (by the lyrics), but it is in practice" option in the poll.

What lyrics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loach (Post 16929698)
I never thought it would be a choice. That is the Peanuts theme. It was on a lot of other Peanuts specials not just the Christmas one. Christmas Time is Here is their Christmas Song.

It was written for the Christmas show and album.

Zeldar 12-14-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia (Post 16929231)

This is why I voted "No" in the poll.

Maybe because I heard "Linus and Lucy" in some other context not associated with Christmas long before ever seeing (or hearing) the Christmas TV shows, I just didn't pick up any Christmas vibe from it.

On the other hand, how can you avoid the Christmas connection with Christmas Time is Here?

Next to Frank Sinatra - The Christmas Waltz it's my favorite secular song of the season.

pulykamell 12-14-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronos (Post 16929314)
"Jingle Bell Rock" isn't even directly a winter song. The only reason it's even associated with winter is that the title and repeating lyric is a call-out to "Jingle Bells", which is a winter song.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Are we thinking of the same song with the same lyrics? There's lyrics of "snowing and blowing up bushels of fun", "dancing and prancing [...] in the frosty air," and "gliding in a one-horse sleigh." I mean, you don't need to know the reference of "jingle bells" to know it's about the winter.

Quote:

Or to take a different approach to it, how is "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring", or Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus" a Christmas song? The former is just a generically Christian song, and the latter is specifically an Easter song. Yet they have both become associated with Christmas.
I don't think of those as Christmas songs. I actually did not realize they were associated with Christmas at all.

Accidental Martyr 12-14-2013 05:22 PM

I've always thought of it as the "Peanuts" song. I've never associated it with Christmas.

Learjeff 12-14-2013 05:42 PM

Yes and no.

Yes because you can include it in a Christmas collection and few would bat an eye, for the reasons mentioned above.

No because you can play it when it's not Christmas and nobody bats an eye.

Best of both worlds. Plus, it rocks. But I just can't quite handle the syncopation. In my mind, there's always a half-beat between the theme and the jazzy part. Drives me nuts, but try as I might, I just can't tap my foot the way the sheet music implies I should, during the theme.

Oh well. I play it anyway. My head's just in the wrong place when I do. I doubt anyone's ever noticed my error.

Face Intentionally Left Blank 12-14-2013 05:52 PM

Music is what we associate it with. I strongly associate it with Christmas, therefore it is Christmas music. They roped me in when I was a kid. The entire soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is some of my favorite Christmas music.

Quimby 12-14-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

No wishy-washiness here! You have to commit :)

dinahmoe 12-14-2013 07:23 PM

I played this for a keyboard skills class in college, where the assignment was to learn and play a Christmas song. I passed...so, yeah.

Alan Smithee 12-14-2013 09:42 PM

It's not a Christmas song (instrumental, whatever), but it is the primary track on one of the greatest Christmas albums of all time, which makes it appropriate for Christmas music compilations.

Beware of Doug 12-14-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas (Post 16929111)
You betcha sweet ass it is. Try listening to the opening bars and not thinking of the Peanust Christmas special. When network executives first saw the show, they wanted the soundtrack changed. Songwriter Vince Guaraldi and Charles Schultz flately refused, and the soundtrack is the best selling TV soundtrack ever.

Vince was best known for his latin jazz, and L&L is, ironically, the only latin-flavored piece on the soundtrack.

kaylasdad99 12-14-2013 10:14 PM

Yes, it is Christmas music.

It is also anytime music, and there aren't many pieces of music that can manage that.

expectopatronum 12-14-2013 11:17 PM

it is absolutely christmas music, for me.

cochrane 12-14-2013 11:22 PM

I don't think of it as Christmas music, mainly because Metropolitan Life uses it in their commercials, as well as using the Peanuts characters as mascots.

Loach 12-14-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labrador Deceiver (Post 16929866)

It was written for the Christmas show and album.

Actually, no.

"Named after the characters Linus and Lucy van Pelt, it was released in 1964 on the Vince Guaraldi Trio's album Jazz Impressions of a Boy Named Charlie Brown. A Charlie Brown Christmas introduced the song to a television audience of millions of children beginning in 1965. Since that special, the song has been included in most of the Peanuts specials."

http://christmas-specials.wikia.com/wiki/Linus_and_Lucy

It was not made for the Christmas special and it was used in almost all of the specials. If all you saw was the Christmas special I can see how you would think it is a Christmas song. If you saw all the other specials it sounds like a tv show theme song.

Elendil's Heir 12-14-2013 11:36 PM

No. It's Peanuts music, but it's not necessarily Christmas music.

Quimby 12-15-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss (Post 16929330)
If "Die Hard" can be a Christmas movie, then "Linus and Lucy" can be a Christmas song.

Interestingly this question was kind of a sequel to that question.

Learjeff 12-15-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

What lyrics?

bup 12-15-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Learjeff (Post 16931343)
What lyrics?

Linus and Lucy! and Li-nus...
and Lucy and Li-!
(ba ba dum bah)
nus and Lucy and! Linus and Lu-...
cyyyyy and Linus!

Linus and Loo!
(da dahdah da da dahdah dahdah)
cee and Linus!
(da dahdah da da dahdah dahdah)

Linus and Lucyyyyyyy...

cjepson 12-15-2013 01:51 PM

I'm OK with it being played as a Christmas song, but I don't personally associate it with Christmas any more than I do with Hallowe'en, as it was featured in both 1965's A Charlie Brown Christmas and 1966's It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

Idle Thoughts 12-15-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulykamell (Post 16929913)
I have no idea what you're talking about. Are we thinking of the same song with the same lyrics? There's lyrics of "snowing and blowing up bushels of fun", "dancing and prancing [...] in the frosty air," and "gliding in a one-horse sleigh." I mean, you don't need to know the reference of "jingle bells" to know it's about the winter.

I know, right? It even has a line that goes "Voices singing, let's be jolly. DECK. THE. HALLS...with boughs of hollyyyy."

Um, how is that NOT a song clearly about Christmas? :dubious:

Kamino Neko 12-15-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loach (Post 16930592)
It was not made for the Christmas special and it was used in almost all of the specials.

As well as the TV series.

So, yeah, it's 'the Peanuts song', not 'a Christmas song'.

kaylasdad99 12-15-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts (Post 16931752)
I know, right? It even has a line that goes "Voices singing, let's be jolly. DECK. THE. HALLS...with boughs of hollyyyy."

Um, how is that NOT a song clearly about Christmas? :dubious:

Gee, how best to put this?

That lyric is from "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree," not "Jingle Bell Rock."

ZipperJJ 12-15-2013 05:29 PM

I think of it as a Peanuts song and not a Christmas song. Kind if weird when I hear it as a Christmas song but I get it.

Learjeff 12-15-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bup (Post 16931385)
Linus and Lucy! and Li-nus...
and Lucy and Li-!
(ba ba dum bah)
nus and Lucy and! Linus and Lu-...
cyyyyy and Linus! ...

Cite? I don't remember ever hearing it with singing. On the original soundtrack album, and it's an instrumental.

Labrador Deceiver 12-15-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loach (Post 16930592)
Actually, no.

"Named after the characters Linus and Lucy van Pelt, it was released in 1964 on the Vince Guaraldi Trio's album Jazz Impressions of a Boy Named Charlie Brown. A Charlie Brown Christmas introduced the song to a television audience of millions of children beginning in 1965. Since that special, the song has been included in most of the Peanuts specials."

http://christmas-specials.wikia.com/wiki/Linus_and_Lucy

It was not made for the Christmas special and it was used in almost all of the specials. If all you saw was the Christmas special I can see how you would think it is a Christmas song. If you saw all the other specials it sounds like a tv show theme song.

Thanks for the correction, that's good to know. However, your final sentence is incorrect. I grew up watching all the Charlie Brown specials, and still think Linus and Lucy feels like Christmas music.

Kamino Neko 12-15-2013 05:48 PM

I'll be honest, this is actually what it makes me think of. (Hard to tell sometimes with that comic, but it seems to take place in spring, nowhere near Christmas.)

Not Carlson 12-15-2013 05:58 PM

In my mind, hell no!

But that's because I didn't grow up with the Peanuts Christmas special, so there's no connection for me.
The only thing I associate the tune with is the Peanuts section of Universal Studios Japan, where it plays constantly like elevator music.

Still better than Wham's Last Christmas. I hate that song.

Jingle Bell Rock, though somewhat annoying, does at least have a festive feel to it.

Idle Thoughts 12-15-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 (Post 16932013)

Oh, yeah...I knew that. I was just seeing if anyone would notice, that's all. Yeah...

:smack:

Alan Smithee 12-15-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 (Post 16932013)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts (Post 16932386)
Oh, yeah...I knew that. I was just seeing if anyone would notice, that's all. Yeah...

:smack:

Wait, what? That's impossible! There's a glitch in the Matrix! Those are clearly the same song. Those have always been the same song, ever since I learned it as a little kid!

I would more readily believe that "Dashing Through the Snow" is different from "Jingle Bells." That "Domo Arigato" is different than "Mr. Roboto." "Teenage Wasteland" than "Baba O'Riley." Yet somehow you have managed to edit all the music sites, all the lyrics sites, all the Wikipedia pages. I don't care what you say! Oceana has not always been at war with Eastasia! There are four lights! "Jingle Bell Rock" is the same as--aaargh! Not the rats! Not the rats!