Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS) (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Made up words or Words You Use Wrong For Fun (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=793997)

Dante G 05-25-2016 01:21 PM

Made up words or Words You Use Wrong For Fun

Just for fun, are there any words you have made up? Or any words you use that are real words, but you use them intentionally wrong?

For me, I use the real word "flibbertigibbet". I use it as a substitute for "F***". Screw up on something, or something goes wrong at work - "FLIBBERTIGIBBET!"

Intergalactic Gladiator 05-25-2016 01:38 PM

Cromulanet and embiggen, from the Simpsons.

I occasionally use disagrievance.

Doctor Jackson 05-25-2016 01:50 PM

You know the big buildings that have doctors and nurses and, most often, an ER? Those are Horsenpistols.

Soylent Juicy 05-25-2016 02:02 PM

I say "amberlamps" for ambulance because of that video a long time ago. (Google "amber lamps" if you want to know.)

QuickSilver 05-25-2016 02:05 PM

The "Schmall".

From a nearby mall of my youth where you'd see all the old retired folks gathered in the food court to schmooze.

burpo the wonder mutt 05-25-2016 03:57 PM

I hate the hiccup in the middle of the word, so I call them "vegables" (vej-uh-bulz).

Maggie the Ocelot 05-25-2016 04:13 PM

Tons of 'em, I like to play with words.

I use "coagulate" for "get together". As in, "Okay, Rachel and I will go to Fantasyland, Jack and Bob will go ride Indy, and we'll coagulate at Pizza Port at 4:00."

The day after Friday is Satyrday.

There are others if I can only think of them....

tenacious j 05-25-2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator (Post 19357217)

The Simpsons have completely mangled my vocabulary. Inspired by Homerisms like saxomophone, or household adds "MA" to almost any random 3-syllable word, like "telemavision". Like you would say, made up words are perfectly cromulent around here.

Mona Lisa Simpson 05-25-2016 08:52 PM

I like calling the strange unintentional words or phrases my phone makes "autocarrots".

Balance 05-25-2016 09:23 PM

I use bits and pieces from various partial conlangs I've encountered over the years, sometimes in place of profanity and sometime just to express something succinctly.

For example, I'm fond of "noy j'taht", a bit of fictional profanity from the long-ago cartoon Pirates of Dark Water. The sound of it just conveys exasperation so well, without actually being offensive. I use "get'ke" from Lackey's Shin'a'in language to express sentiments that encompass "please elaborate", "explain yourself", and "WTF?" In text media like chat, I often use a single question mark for the same purpose. (Oddly enough, people respond to "get'ke" pretty often; I guess the tone gets the meaning across.)

Senegoid 05-26-2016 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenacious j (Post 19358329)
The Simpsons have completely mangled my vocabulary. Inspired by Homerisms like saxomophone, or household adds "MA" to almost any random 3-syllable word, like "telemavision". Like you would say, made up words are perfectly cromulent around here.

Wasn't that done by Popeye a long time ago? I definomitely remember an epimasode in which he gets edumacated.

Annie-Xmas 05-26-2016 09:10 AM

I throw the word "hurple" into conversations whenever I can. Which isn't often.

FairyChatMom 05-26-2016 09:51 AM

I used to use razzenfratz as my go-to cuss word when I was young and disinclined to utter profanity.

Similarly, my spousal unit and I will call someone a cheese log rather than say asshole or worse when confronted with said person's idiotic behavior. It's also been applied to the dog on occasion. It's a curiously satisfying expression!

Mona Lisa Simpson 05-26-2016 10:30 AM

Of course my mother and I say "misled" with a "long i" sound, like miser has. We both mispronounced the word in our heads for years until we were corrected. I know others have mentioned it here too.

kayaker 05-26-2016 10:42 AM

Not sure why/how, but for eons I've used "egg-salad" to mean "excellent".

I also use "ironic" intentionally incorrectly (ironically?). The other night I asked a friend if he was wearing the shirt he had on ironically. He looked down at his shirt, then looked at me, all puzzled. "Why?", he asked, and I pointed out that it was wrinkled and needed to be ironed. We then went back and forth a bit before he realized I was just fucking around.

Totenfeier 05-26-2016 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa Simpson (Post 19359503)
Of course my mother and I say "misled" with a "long i" sound, like miser has. We both mispronounced the word in our heads for years until we were corrected. I know others have mentioned it here too.

My dad had that problem too. He was an educated man, and laughed about it after the fact, but he always read "misled" that way - and didn't, for a long time, connect it with the idea of "mis - leading;" he said he just thought that "misling" was something bad that people did to somebody.

As for me, I long thought that I was the clever one who invented "coolth" as the opposite of "warmth." Imagine the crushing disappointment when I finally Googled it and discovered that it has citations going back to the 1500s!

teela brown 05-26-2016 10:55 AM

I like to say "Sprawl-mart" for "Walmart". I think I heard it on the Simpsons. Occasional variation: "Mall-wart".

I also say "cripsy" for "crispy". I think it was an honest mispronouncement the first time or two, but now I say it on purpose.

gigi 05-26-2016 11:50 AM

I perked up when I heard someone else use "Bloodbath and Beyond" the other day.

I use "dooficity" to describe the quality of being a doofus, thanks to a long-ago friend.

UncleRojelio 05-26-2016 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson (Post 19357250)
You know the big buildings that have doctors and nurses and, most often, an ER? Those are Horsenpistols.

Hopsicles for me. I think it came from watching too much Rugrats when my kids were younger.

Totenfeier 05-26-2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teela brown (Post 19359554)
I like to say "Sprawl-mart" for "Walmart". I think I heard it on the Simpsons. Occasional variation: "Mall-wart".

I also say "cripsy" for "crispy". I think it was an honest mispronouncement the first time or two, but now I say it on purpose.

This isn't a make-up, but following my father-in-law, we always say "Wally World" for Walmart.

OffByOne 05-26-2016 02:27 PM

When rain falls and drains into creeks which drain into rivers which drain into the ocean, it evaporates, rises into the sky as water vapor, forms clouds, and then falls again as rain.

"It's reciprocating!"

Spectre of Pithecanthropus 05-26-2016 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totenfeier (Post 19359841)
This isn't a make-up, but following my father-in-law, we always say "Wally World" for Walmart.

I believe "Wally World" is almost universally understood for Wal-Mart these days. However, I think it first appeared as the name of a fictional amusement park ("Walley World") in the film National Lampoon's Vacation. This was in 1983; Walmart already existed but was nothing like the gigantic discount retail chain it is today.

purplehearingaid 05-26-2016 02:38 PM

I call my rain coat a rainingcoat and it would bug the hell out of roommate a school !

Totenfeier 05-26-2016 02:45 PM

I didn't mean to imply that I thought we were the only ones who used Wally World for Walmart.

Sir T-Cups 05-26-2016 02:46 PM

I have a bunch!

I still and will forever say sammitch. I also say "Subway eat fresh" as if that is the formal title of the restaurant.

I substitute "berry" for "very" whenever I type or text. I also do the same with aboot for about, and sometimes I'll intentionally say sext.

I'll also say "brb a sex" because that used to be a common typo of mine so I just went a head and did it full-time.

I intentionally say aminals instead of the right way of saying it. I'm sure I have more but these are the top ones

Mrs Fairway 05-26-2016 03:16 PM

I think all of mine come from my sister's kids.

Hankaburger for hamburger
Frijafator for refrigerator
Tomarno for tomorrow
We don't go on vacation, we go on "the cation"
Snantzy - combo of snazzy and fancy
Air Kachine for air conditioning

Balance 05-26-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleRojelio (Post 19359820)
Hopsicles for me. I think it came from watching too much Rugrats when my kids were younger.

"Hopsicle" sounds like it should be the trade name for frozen beer on a stick.

Zyanthia 05-26-2016 03:27 PM

I had the hardest time learning to say cinnamon. Now I say cimmanon on purpose, just because it reminds me of making apple pie with mom.

WordMan 05-26-2016 03:33 PM

I verbify words as needed.

I use nouns like badassery and geekery regularly.

If someone is making something out of nothing, I ask if they are "consciously kerfuffling" or just high drama by nature.

Stuff like that there.

Chimera 05-26-2016 04:25 PM

"Scrunchies" for cat treats.

"Smedley" flavor for the 'seafood medley'.

"Snoggling" for kissing and snuggling.

IvoryTowerDenizen 05-26-2016 04:35 PM

Spleep for sleep.

There was a website for a doctor who treated sleep disorders who must have had an unfortunate copy-paste error because every place it should have said 'sleep' it said 'spleep'.

Paragraphs and paragraphs of text.

It was so funny and we've adopted that word ever since.

kayaker 05-26-2016 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Fairway (Post 19360305)
I think all of mine come from my sister's kids.

There's a city near us called Monroeville. I discovered that my son honestly thought the name was Maroneville when he was waaay to old to laugh it off as a kid thing.

My daughter, my son, and I still all call it Maroneville.

AskNott 05-26-2016 05:21 PM

"Ohh-h-h--h-h, I made a fox's paw !"

Refrigigator.

Posspickles.

tapu 05-26-2016 05:27 PM

I've apologized gratuitously. I've also flatulently accepted the apologies of others.

Prof. Pepperwinkle 05-26-2016 06:21 PM

After the first Avengers movie my friends and family all started calling the scenes among and after the credits "schwarma".

Periwinkle 05-26-2016 06:53 PM

My husband used to call the Bob Evans restaurant "Blob Evans" (for anyone not familiar, their specialty was very fattening breakfast stuff). He also called Bedminster NJ (where he had to travel for work sometimes) "Dreadminster". We call crab forks "pokies" because that's what our German friend who didn't know the right word for them called them, and I thought it was an improvement!

ASGuy 05-26-2016 08:21 PM

I'll mention three.

(1) I've always enjoyed the British way of pronouncing aluminum and schedule. So I deliberately say them the British way: al-u-min-ium and sched-u-l. I never have to clarify this British way.

(2) Growing up in the San Fernando valley I so often heard eucalyptus mispronounced as u-cal-a-pee-tus that I now deliberately mispronounce it. I rarely have to explain my pronounciation.

(3) I did not learn the proper way to pronounce debacle until I was 35 or so. Yow! But when I learned the proper way I always thought of Jim Backus. So now I deliberately say de-backus when I mean debacle. This usually requires clarification.

I have more but these are the fun ones.

JKellyMap 05-26-2016 08:29 PM

I use "encharge" to mean "put in charge of; entrust with a responsibility." I speak pretty fluent Spanish, and the first time I used it was by accident -- I assumed there was an English cognate to encargar, because there should be one. (I suppose the English word "charge" can be used to mean this, but this word has other, more common meanings, so it sounds funny to use it in this way).

JKellyMap 05-26-2016 08:31 PM

Oh, and "Abyssinia" for "I'll be seeing you."

Totenfeier 05-27-2016 06:26 AM

I'll often use telly-o-phone.

WordMan 05-27-2016 07:29 AM

I thought of another one. I do strategy work: helping companies clarify their target market position, strategic priorities, and the tactics to get there. This often involves taking a bunch of executives through a thoughtful, complex discussion to figure out what they all agree about.

When it appears that we have captured what the group wants, I will sometimes ask: "so - is that more better?" :)

gigi 05-27-2016 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zyanthia (Post 19360336)
I had the hardest time learning to say cinnamon. Now I say cimmanon on purpose, just because it reminds me of making apple pie with mom.

I have to stop myself from saying cinnaminamin.

UncleRojelio 05-27-2016 01:17 PM

A few more:

backsplash instead of backslash
hiccemups instead of hiccups
vedication instead of vacation (from when my kids were young)
elphanents instead of elephants

iamthewalrus(:3= 05-27-2016 01:29 PM

A friend started calling any non-motorized wheeled vehicle that didn't exist when we were kids a "skate-cycle", as in "Dang kids with their skate-cycles", and it's stuck.

BrotherCadfael 05-27-2016 01:33 PM

Two of mine:

"Aluminimum foil" (No, that's NOT the British spelling!)

"BYEW-tocks" (per Ensign Pulver)

Soylent Juicy 05-27-2016 02:04 PM

I call No Frills (grocery store) "No Thrills". Trust me, it fits.

Totenfeier 05-27-2016 03:05 PM

I mess with French.

"Sest la vye, as them thar French say!"

And around our house, two stores are known as tar-ZHAY and ZHAY-CEE-pee-NAY.

AskNott 05-27-2016 04:06 PM

Around 1960, my parents went to Europe for a month. They came back joking about the UK tour guide who said, "Now, here's the drill," before laying out the "SHED-jule." That became part of the family usage from then on. They said Italian waiters would set down the food, make an open-handed here-it-is gesture toward it, and say, "So!" I still do that sometimes.

Hari Seldon 05-27-2016 06:33 PM

I always say nump or numpire for umpire and napron for apron. These are etymologically correct, those being the original words.

GinoC 05-27-2016 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator (Post 19357217)

My daughter was in her mid-teens before she realized cromulent wasn't a real word. She was a bit miffed at her parents.