Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Most unhealthy, generally available snack (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=795392)

Doctor Jackson 06-10-2016 08:01 AM

Most unhealthy, generally available snack

My vote goes for the one I heard about on the radio this morning. No longer the sole domain of "Fair food", where one can only indulge a few times each year when the fair is in town, Hostess has entered an exclusive agreement with Wal-Mart to make available, on a limited time basis, a frozen version of the fried Twinkie.

That's right, now you can stock up on this epitome of empty calories and indulge multiple times per day, every day of your life - if you stock up now. I can't imagine that these "treats" will ever go bad, especially if stored in a freezer. They probably wouldn't if stored in the trunk of your car, for that matter. A bit mind boggling is the realization that somewhere, at some time, someone looked at a Twinkie - that concoction of solid sugar and chemical additives that is already 99% fat and carbs - and said "That's just not unhealthy enough. Must... solve...dilemma...FRY that puppy!". Even more mind boggling is that some marketing guru at Hostess saw that and decided that American society needed unfettered access, because....got me.

What other generally available health bombs are out there? Do any have a loyalty club that offers discounts on Cardiac Care Unit stays?

Azeotrope 06-10-2016 08:22 AM

Slim Jims: coffin nails made of pink slime, pure cholesterol, and salt. I love them so :(

peedin 06-10-2016 09:11 AM

Either potato chips or doughnuts. Neither has any nutritional value.

I will be trying a deep fried Twinkie from WalMart.....

Chisquirrel 06-10-2016 09:16 AM

When the MN State Fair got deep fried Twinkies a few years back, I drug my best friend (dietician) to the stand because I needed them. She was not amused.

She's less amused that I'm now trying to lose weight, but refuse to eat all that rabbit food she suggests.

swampspruce 06-10-2016 09:21 AM

Pork Rinds. Definitely pork rinds. Super high in all the couch potato food groups, starch, sugar, fat, salt, and since they make you thirsty, alcohol.

TheChileanBlob 06-10-2016 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampspruce (Post 19394697)
Pork Rinds. Definitely pork rinds. Super high in all the couch potato food groups, starch, sugar, fat, salt, and since they make you thirsty, alcohol.

Maybe fat and salt, but pork rinds are zero carb.

pulykamell 06-10-2016 10:25 AM

Depends on value of "generally available," but one classic Cinnabon has 880 calories, mostly from fat and sugar/starch.

burpo the wonder mutt 06-10-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChileanBlob (Post 19394860)
Maybe fat and salt, but pork rinds are zero carb.

Is that what eventually kills you--not getting enough carbs? ;)

spamforbrains 06-10-2016 02:42 PM

Fat isn't bad for you. Nor is salt. The (hopefully) embarrassed doctors are slowly changing the nutrition guidelines to actually reflect the evidence rather than a few outspoken experts' opinions.

For common, readily available, really bad for you snacks I'm going with gummi bears/worms/whatever shape type candy. It has nothing but sugar to offer and sugar is really not good for you. And it sticks to your teeth and makes sure they get a good, full dose of sugar.

Thudlow Boink 06-10-2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spamforbrains (Post 19395519)
For common, readily available, really bad for you snacks I'm going with gummi bears/worms/whatever shape type candy. It has nothing but sugar to offer and sugar is really not good for you. And it sticks to your teeth and makes sure they get a good, full dose of sugar.

No, actually gummies are less sticky than jelly beans, gumdrops, etc.

Actually, I think the correct answer to "most unhealthy generally available snack" is something like Snickers or Peanut M&Ms—for someone who has a deadly peanut allergy.

Mama Zappa 06-10-2016 06:42 PM

Quote:

+1.

You can argue that at least there are some usable nutrients in stuff that contains a lot of fat (just too MUCH of the one nutrient) but our carb needs are so low in comparison
with what you get from even a small portion of, say, jelly beans, that you have zero need of them.

Doesn't stop me from consuming them, of course.....

Ambivalid 06-10-2016 06:48 PM

Those packaged chocolate "donuts" that come with like 6 small donuts. I believe its because lard is used in the ingredients but a serving (one package) has nearly 100% of the daily recommended saturated fat intake.

Doctor Jackson 06-13-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Fat isn't bad for you. Nor is salt. The (hopefully) embarrassed doctors are slowly changing the nutrition guidelines to actually reflect the evidence rather than a few outspoken experts' opinions.

That's a bit of a broad statement. Anything, in sufficient quantity, is bad for an individual. Conversely, in moderation most anything is not actively harmful. This snack is literally 99% carbs and fat. The 1% protein is only due to the fact that the product is still made with beef fat. It has 16.5 grams of sugar - a bit over 4 tablespoons - per cake. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, about this product that is healthy. You can get the exact same nutritional value by eating a teaspoon of beef fat and 4 teaspoons of sugar. Actually, that may be better for you because you wouldn't get the additives and preservatives.

That said, the occasional Twinkie is not going to have much of a cumulative affect on a healthy individual. Balance is the key. But we're talking about bad snacks, not good nutrition! ;)

Ale 06-13-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

The other day I saw sugar flavoured cookies at the 7-11 near my office.
It's like they are not even trying any more.

jtur88 06-13-2016 11:12 AM

Sweetened breakfast cereal. Even the adult type of breakfast cereal is horrible. Products like Special K and Wheaties and Bran Flakes, ounce per ounce, contain more sugar than Coca Cola and more salt than potato chips. Not even counting the lactose in the milk. Sweetened children's cereal only contains about twice as much sugar as "healthy" adult cereals. The exception is mini-shredded-wheats, which contain no added salt or sugar, and are delicious.

jtur88 06-13-2016 11:20 AM

Irish Coffee provides the RDA of all four of the major food groups: Sugar, alcohol, caffeine and fat.

Gatopescado 06-13-2016 11:53 AM

Meth.

casdave 06-13-2016 12:41 PM

Deep fried twinkies are for wannabees, go for the original and unhealthiest, from that bastion of heart attacks, pie eating, salad dodging nation of Scotland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep-fried_Mars_bar

Duckster 06-13-2016 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson (Post 19394516)
What other generally available health bombs are out there? Do any have a loyalty club that offers discounts on Cardiac Care Unit stays?

Soft drinks. Available everywhere. No brand, make model, style, flavor, regular or unleaded, is immune as unneeded empty calories. As a kid I was raised in a home where soft drinks were a treat, maybe once a month at most, often as a special occasion event. Once I left home, still not so much. A bit of an indulgence a few years back. Now, I'm back to special occasions when I grew up. I can take them or leave them. Leave them mostly.

Now, dark chocolate is another story ...

Max the Immortal 06-13-2016 01:06 PM

I'd question potato chips. Sure, they're empty calories, but those calories are almost entirely from starch and monounsaturated fat. That's not great, but something that's mostly simple sugar or saturated and/or trans fat is bound to be worse for you.

Drunky Smurf 06-13-2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtur88 (Post 19401667)
Irish Coffee provides the RDA of all four of the major food groups: Sugar, alcohol, caffeine and fat.

I am adopting your food pyramid.

I have already started on the caffeine group. Later after work I will start in on the sugar and alcohol groups.

Gatopescado 06-13-2016 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckster (Post 19401949)
Soft drinks. Available everywhere. No brand, make model, style, flavor, regular or unleaded, is immune as unneeded empty calories....

Stuff I drink has Zero calories! Good stuff. Kroger brand Cola Oh!

Idle Thoughts 06-13-2016 02:45 PM

Moving to CS.

Spiderman 06-13-2016 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf (Post 19401995)
I am adopting your food pyramid.

I have already started on the caffeine group. Later after work I will start in on the sugar and alcohol groups.

::looks at user name::
You haven't started on the alcohol group yet? :confused:

;)

Marine_One 06-13-2016 04:38 PM

Chances are these guys will serve it:

http://www.heartattackgrill.com/menu.html

Octuple Bypass Burger - $23.36 (Add 40 bacon slices - $7.40)

"Over 350 pounds? Eat free!"

drachillix 06-13-2016 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marine_One (Post 19402614)

Im going to lv in a month, i have lost 28 pounds over the last year, but still am over 350...i think this will be one of my stops.

Bryan Ekers 06-13-2016 05:16 PM

Knuckle sandwiches.

Drunky Smurf 06-13-2016 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiderman (Post 19402458)
::looks at user name::
You haven't started on the alcohol group yet? :confused:

;)

I'm on a break right now. It's like sleeping. You don't want to sleep and interrupt being awake but you kind of have to, you know, to live.

beowulff 06-13-2016 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drachillix (Post 19402692)
Im going to lv in a month, i have lost 28 pounds over the last year, but still am over 350...i think this will be one of my stops.

The Quadruple Bypass Burger has 3-4 days worth of calories for me.

Just sayin'...

River Hippie 06-13-2016 06:40 PM

Little Debbie makes these things that show up in the vending machine at work sometimes. It's a triple decker made of three greasy oatmeal cookies and two layers of lard/sugar filling.

They are actually pretty tasty, but I've only gotten one about three times in the last 5 years. They are about 500 calories and gone in three-four bites.

It's these but the vending machine version is three layers.

kayaker 06-13-2016 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marine_One (Post 19402614)

Do they weigh you before your meal or when they bring the check? Cause.:dubious:

jasg 06-13-2016 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtur88 (Post 19401667)

Pour it on Lucky Charms and you get an Irish Continental Breakfast!

BrassyPhrase 06-13-2016 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 19403115)
Do they weigh you before your meal or when they bring the check? Cause.:dubious:

If I rememver from Fluffy Breaks Even, it's before. And you stand on a scale in front od the store.

Sunny Daze 06-14-2016 02:57 AM

How about Deep Fried Butter? Because what butter - an entire stick of butter - really needs is to be coated in batter, deep fried, and then drizzled with cinnamon frosting. I'll admit to being curious and repulsed at the same time.

panache45 06-14-2016 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckster (Post 19401949)
Soft drinks. Available everywhere. No brand, make model, style, flavor, regular or unleaded, is immune as unneeded empty calories. As a kid I was raised in a home where soft drinks were a treat, maybe once a month at most, often as a special occasion event. Once I left home, still not so much. A bit of an indulgence a few years back. Now, I'm back to special occasions when I grew up. I can take them or leave them. Leave them mostly.

When I was a kid, our soft drink consumption was limited to 7-Up, when we were sick. But on the other hand, we hauled in four shopping bags full of candy every Halloween. And it didn't even last us very long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 19403115)

You get weighed at the autopsy.

terentii 06-14-2016 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ale (Post 19401468)
The other day I saw sugar flavoured cookies at the 7-11 near my office.
It's like they are not even trying any more.

Are you talking about sugar cookies, which are similar to Scottish shortbread with some extra sugar sprinkled on top?

I've loved these for years, though in moderation. And I normally scrape the extra sugar off before eating them. Still, they do make a great companion to tea!

Marine_One 06-14-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Do they weigh you before your meal or when they bring the check? Cause.
Official Rules:

Over 350 lbs? EAT FREE!
Must weigh with nurse BEFORE each burger!
- One single bypass & fries at a time
- Weigh in between each new burger
- Unlimited!
- No sharing!
- No “to go” orders!
- Must purchase beverage with each burger
If you do not finish your meal, your nurse will administer spankings!
(Keep the paddle - $8.09)

Gatopescado 06-14-2016 01:44 PM

That seems a tad irresponsible.

furryman 06-15-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beowulff (Post 19402833)
The Quadruple Bypass Burger has 3-4 days worth of calories for me.

Just sayin'...

Reminds me of the "burger" they sell at the Jacksonville FL stadium. You need four people to finish it. What's the point?

gigi 06-15-2016 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panache45 (Post 19403769)
You get weighed at the autopsy.

"It was either the Octuple Bypass Burger or the Deep Fried Butter. I won't know till I get him back to the lab."

Slow Moving Vehicle 06-15-2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigi (Post 19408574)
"It was either the Octuple Bypass Burger or the Deep Fried Butter. I won't know till I get him back to the lab."

"And we're still trying to figure out how to get the front-end loader through the morgue doors."

Wallaby 06-15-2016 08:04 PM

There's always a few places that pride themselves on 'The Fattest, Most-Unhealthiest (sic), Most Disgusting, Sugariest Burger/Pizza/Sandwich/Doughnut/Whatever!! And if you finish it in less than 11.3 seconds, you get another absolutely free!!!'.

Jackass with food.

actualliberalnotoneofthose 06-16-2016 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampspruce (Post 19394697)

This is my "eat all you want and never get fat" snack. Though I don't like it too much. So I probably won't eat more than a small bag at a time.

actualliberalnotoneofthose 06-16-2016 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azeotrope (Post 19394555)
Slim Jims: coffin nails made of pink slime, pure cholesterol, and salt. I love them so :(

Another snack I consider healthy.

Marvin the Martian 06-16-2016 10:45 AM

Broccoli.

Extremely unhealthy to anyone who tries to serve it to me as a snack. Triage nurse at ER: "You have broccoli stuck up where?"

GunnarFranz 06-16-2016 01:44 PM

I'm disappointed that sour gummy worms are so high up on the list but my guess would have to be something like cosmic brownies, due to their relative weight to all these foods and their stupid high amnt of saturated fat...

appleaday 06-17-2016 07:28 PM

So many yummy things that are so unhealthy, it's hard to choose.

Let's see . . .

There's the doughnut burger, of course: hamburger patty, cheese, bacon, and glazed doughnuts instead of a bun. Saw that at a fair once, but didn't try it -- looked kind of gross, really.

Fried ice cream -- That's a magnificent, unhealthy treat if there ever was one. It's wonderful if made fresh and served warm; nowadays, though, it's usually made ahead of time and served cold. Just not the same.

Oh, and double-fried doughnuts -- doughnut dunked in a sweet batter, deep-fried, and served with chocolate syrup.

chappachula 06-19-2016 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian (Post 19410137)
Broccoli.

Extremely unhealthy to anyone who tries to serve it to me as a snack. Triage nurse at ER: "You have broccoli stuck up where?"

You win the thread!

gigi 06-20-2016 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appleaday (Post 19414004)
There's the doughnut burger, of course: hamburger patty, cheese, bacon, and glazed doughnuts instead of a bun.

And the double cheeseburger with two grilled cheese sandwiches for the bun. It was at Friendly's; sadly ours closed down before I could try it as a birthday treat.

http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com/ "47-Layer Dip"?!

appleaday 06-20-2016 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigi (Post 19419961)
And the double cheeseburger with two grilled cheese sandwiches for the bun. It was at Friendly's; sadly ours closed down before I could try it as a birthday treat.

http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com/ "47-Layer Dip"?!

I checked out that link-- I think I gained 10 pounds just by looking at that stuff. (OMG, twinkie casserole!)