Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Time Machine Grocery List (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=817424)

brujaja 01-26-2017 05:23 AM

Time Machine Grocery List

I'm sure others have started threads on this same topic before, but I wasn't there at the time; though I could be if I got my wish, and then this thread would vanish as if it never had been.

If I had a time machine, I would go back and buy myself cartloads of a lot of things:

the original Joico K-Pak
corn flavor Australian Toaster Biscuits
5th Avenue bars, before Hershey bought them and ruined them completely
same goes for Cadbury Mini Eggs (the hard-shelled ones)
the original Riviera Minestrone
Campbell's Chili Beef soup
the original Ranch dressing. and some Roquefort dressing too, dammit!
butternut squash, back when they used to stain my hands orange from beta-carotene
the original Tripp black stretch jeans (way better-made, alas)
R.H. Philips Night Harvest Cuvee Rouge

I know there are more. I'll come back and rant when I remember them.

You corporate conglomerates get offa my lawn!

jz78817 01-26-2017 05:44 AM

Faygo pop in the weird glass bottles they used in the '80s.

Mangetout 01-26-2017 06:38 AM

Rowntree Nutty Bars (they were a bit like PayDay, but the peanuts were different) - not for me - for my sister, who loves them so much I had to try to recreate them myself.

For me, I would grab a lifetime supply of candy cigars. They were like the little white candy sticks that used to be called candy cigarettes, but they were cocoa flavour, and bigger. I have looked everywhere for these and I think they're gone. (there are plenty of 'chocolate cigar' products that are not the same, but the chocolate candy sticks are nowhere)

GreenWyvern 01-26-2017 07:08 AM

The kind of fruit we used to get when I was a child, before they bred everything for looks and shelf-life rather than flavour.

StGermain 01-26-2017 07:20 AM

Regal Crown Sour Fruits. Although, just now, doing an internet search, I see the Sour Cherry and Sour Lemon are back. Not the sour Grape and Sour Orange, though.

StG

Balthisar 01-26-2017 07:30 AM

McDonald's apple pies. The deep-fried kind. I'd try to get them raw so that I could freeze them and cook them upon demand, though.

running coach 01-26-2017 07:33 AM

Seconding the Regal Crown Sour Fruits.
Danish-Go-Rounds
Breakfast Squares

RealityChuck 01-26-2017 08:16 AM

Ebinger's Chocolate Blackout Cake. If God exists, this is his recipe for chocolate cake.
Regal Crown Sours
Milk Shake (candy bar)
Baskin-Robbins Mandarin Chocolate Sherbet
Wagner & Sons Tea
Schweppes Bitter Lemon soda

Sir T-Cups 01-26-2017 08:20 AM

Snapple Elements...specifically Fire.

Also in the glass bottles, not the weird metal ones.

howye 01-26-2017 08:47 AM

Nabisco Heyday cookies
Ding dongs - the real ones that came wrapped in foil.

Darren Garrison 01-26-2017 08:52 AM

Screw the groceries. I'd go next door to K-Mart and stock up on vintage toys and trading cards.

Pantastic 01-26-2017 08:52 AM

You're all thinking too recent, I'd go back to ancient times and get a cartload of Silphium to unextinct it :)

Dewey Finn 01-26-2017 09:01 AM

Rather than groceries, I'd be curious to go back a few decades to see if a McDonalds hamburger or a Pizza Hut pizza tasted better than what they sell now.

StGermain 01-26-2017 09:03 AM

Chuck - Did you see that you can now get limited flavors of the sours? Regal Crown Sour Cherry & Lemon

My mouth still automatically salivates just thinking about those candies, after probably 40 years.

StG

Annie-Xmas 01-26-2017 09:03 AM

You could go back in time and pick up some legal, over the counter cocaine. The resale value would be great (I kid!)

Anyone else remember Nestles Triple Decker bar?

Grrr! 01-26-2017 09:04 AM

BBQ Fritos.

Jack in the Box Ham and Turkey melt.

Some wacky wall climbers (For my cats).

ThelmaLou 01-26-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balthisar (Post 19951991)
McDonald's apple pies. The deep-fried kind. I'd try to get them raw so that I could freeze them and cook them upon demand, though.

THEY DON'T HAVE THEM ANYMORE??? WHA--?? Dang, those were good.

I'd go back to around 1970 and stock up on Big John's Beans & Fixins. The little separate can had chopped onions in a barbecue-tomato-y sauce. I don't know if they even sell this product anymore, but the last time I bought it (maybe 10 years ago) the little can just had a paste of some kind in it. Blech.

Also, small frozen button mushrooms... don't remember the brand-- Birdseye, JGG? My first husband used to do them up in a pan with butter and Worcestershire sauce. With an artichoke, a gin & tonic, watching the original Upstairs Downstairs (c. 1973), a nice evening. Of course, if that product were available, I'd have to call him up for the recipe. Never mind.

Howard Johnson's frozen shrimp croquettes. Very deliciousl

RealityChuck 01-26-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StGermain (Post 19952185)
Chuck - Did you see that you can now get limited flavors of the sours? Regal Crown Sour Cherry & Lemon

My mouth still automatically salivates just thinking about those candies, after probably 40 years.

StG

Yes. They contacted my blog when they were starting up. I've seen mixed reviews, usually saying they weren't as good as they used to be. :D

Rick Kitchen 01-26-2017 03:26 PM

16 ounce bottles of Coke with the location of where the bottles were made stamped on the bottoms.

ThelmaLou 01-26-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen (Post 19953340)
16 ounce bottles of Coke with the location of where the bottles were made stamped on the bottoms.

I loved those!

Some old-timey foods, especially candy, can be found at the online Vermont Country Store, along with cosmetics, pajamas, cleaning products, and other stuff. The site and catalog are fun to read.

Richard John Marcej 01-26-2017 07:36 PM

FunnyFace Drink mix

ThelmaLou 01-26-2017 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej (Post 19953924)

If you drink it, will your face Freeze That Way?

nightshadea 01-26-2017 07:59 PM

canned chicken and dumplings .... I don't remember the brand name all I know was the can was blue white and rather large I think the chicken was separated from the noodles and sauce hence the huge tall can and grandma said it was rather expensive for the time (mid/late 80s )

Only reason she bought it is it was one of the rare things id eat when I was a kid and the others loved it ......

I haven't seen it in years ..........

ThelmaLou 01-26-2017 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightshadea (Post 19953983)
canned chicken and dumplings .... I don't remember the brand name all I know was the can was blue white and rather large I think the chicken was separated from the noodles and sauce hence the huge tall can and grandma said it was rather expensive for the time (mid/late 80s )

Only reason she bought it is it was one of the rare things id eat when I was a kid and the others loved it ......

Was it "Sue <something>"?

running coach 01-26-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Sounds familiar.

There was also a brand of baked beans with a small can of "fixings" taped to the top.

Musicat 01-26-2017 08:13 PM

I'd stock up on the ORIGINAL McDonald's French Fries.

jtur88 01-26-2017 08:15 PM

Royal Pudding, with baseball cards printed on the back of the box. Those cards now sell for hundreds of dollars. In fact, grab up all the packs of Bowman and Topps baseball cards from 1949-52.

And all the beer that will fit in the time machine, before Miller and Bud grabbed all the breweries.

running coach 01-26-2017 08:16 PM

Here's one that's still around and is exactly as I remember it.
Except the price. $1.09 for 3/4 oz. :eek:
Botan Rice Candy.
Quote:

Botan Rice Candy is a soft, chewy, slightly lemon-orange flavored candy with an outer layer of rice paper. The rice paper is clear and plastic-like when dry, but it is edible and dissolves in the mouth. It is a traditional Japanese candy, and it is currently imported to North America from Japan by JFC International.
Picture.

ThelmaLou 01-26-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running coach (Post 19954009)

There was also a brand of baked beans with a small can of "fixings" taped to the top.

See above.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19953158)
I'd go back to around 1970 and stock up on Big John's Beans & Fixins. The little separate can had chopped onions in a barbecue-tomato-y sauce. I don't know if they even sell this product anymore, but the last time I bought it (maybe 10 years ago) the little can just had a paste of some kind in it. Blech.

Baker 01-26-2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19953677)
I loved those!

Some old-timey foods, especially candy, can be found at the online Vermont Country Store, along with cosmetics, pajamas, cleaning products, and other stuff. The site and catalog are fun to read.

I don't know if it still carries the perfume, or cologne, called Evening in Paris. It was popular from the 20' to the 50's, then was discontinured. It's now back in small amounts, and is quite expensive.

I have an empty bottle of the cologne, from before 1926, and there's still a fragrance one can smell. It was saved by my grandmother, who attached a little note to it. "Emil gave me this before we were wed" Emil was, of course, my grandfather. I'm so sentimental, I value stuff like that more that most other possessions.

Mean Mr. Mustard 01-26-2017 08:23 PM

Quote:

Sweet Sue chicken and dumplings.

I seem to remember a short can sitting atop a taller can affixed to it with tape. Couldn't find a photo of that, though.

mmm

running coach 01-26-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19954026)
See above.

Sorry, lost track of where I was in the thread.

Richard John Marcej 01-26-2017 08:29 PM

The old line of Zingers products with Peanuts on the packaging

blondebear 01-26-2017 08:44 PM

Breakfast squares

running coach 01-26-2017 08:47 PM

Libbyland Dinners.

sms339 01-26-2017 08:49 PM

Neon Oreos -- circa 1989-90, IIRC.
Tasted the same, looked wild.

ThelmaLou 01-26-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondebear (Post 19954063)

Wasn't that Laura Petrie's neighbor Millie at the switchboard?

Dewey Finn 01-26-2017 09:25 PM

What would be nice would be Crackerjack boxes from when they had something other than a paper "prize" in them.

Sigmagirl 01-26-2017 09:46 PM

My grandparents' cheese from the Swiss co-op.

Mr Downtown 01-26-2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen (Post 19953340)

I don't think 16-ounce bottles ever had the original bottling location on them. That was only seen on 6.5-ounce and 10-ounce bottles. By the time 16-ounce bottles were introduced, many bottlers were switching to Chattanooga Glass bottles for all sizes, which only had the disappointing concentric Cs on the bottom.

Nitpicking done; buy me a case of Chipsters.

Son of a Rich 01-26-2017 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StGermain (Post 19951980)
Regal Crown Sour Fruits. Although, just now, doing an internet search, I see the Sour Cherry and Sour Lemon are back.

Thanks for the heads up- I just ordered the 24 count of cherry. I'm salivating already.

cardinal_fang 01-27-2017 07:57 AM

Cuban Lunch (pictured next to Mr. Big, which still exist).

Ike Witt 01-27-2017 08:17 AM

Get me some Spoon Candy.

cmkeller 01-27-2017 08:24 AM

Entenmann's Fudge Iced Devil's Food Cupcakes
Entenmann's Fudge Iced Crullers
Nestle Mocha Crunch bars
Costco bakery Coffe Cake muffins

DCnDC 01-27-2017 08:30 AM

I'd like to try a Gros Michel banana, without taking a trip to Southeast Asia.

running coach 01-27-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ike Witt (Post 19954832)
Get me some Spoon Candy.

Along with some 3-2-1

Imzadi2017 01-27-2017 09:58 AM

My list...

10 copies of every mono release by the Beatles, Dylan and the Stones-and never open the shrink wrap
10 copies of the stereo Beatles butcher cover
10 copies of the first Abbey Road CD and the MFSL PINK FLOYD-THE WALL CD
10 copies of all the Warhol RCA Victor LPs
A carton of Elvis' first album on first day of sale
10 first editions of GONE WITH THE WIND, THE CATCHER IN THE RYE, A TIME TO KILL, 'SALEM'S LOT, 1984, HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE, LONESOME DOVE and DRACULA.
And for food...
A carton of Grandma's Iced Lemon cookies from pre-1990

kayaker 01-27-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealityChuck (Post 19952079)

Mmmmmmmmmm, mixed with gin or vodka.

h.sapiens 01-27-2017 10:17 AM

Shake-A-Pudd'n. Instant pudding that you shook in a cup to make it instead of using a mixer. "Rich with real milk solids." Mmmm.

blondebear 01-27-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThelmaLou (Post 19954134)
Wasn't that Laura Petrie's neighbor Millie at the switchboard?

I think it is--Ann Morgan Guilbert, who passed away in June.