Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Would you choose to live in a classic era sitcom world? (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=826042)

Princess Perfume 05-12-2017 11:55 AM

Would you choose to live in a classic era sitcom world?

In the 1998 movie Pleasantville, Reese Witherspoon's character decides at the end to stay in Pleasantville, saying she'd have a better life in Fifties America than she would in the 1990s real world. She even mentions her grades in the real world means she has no chance of university, unlike the Pleasantville Fifties America.

Would any poster here prefer the world of an old sitcom to live in?

DCnDC 05-12-2017 11:59 AM

What's the cutoff for "old sitcom"?

Because I want Charles in charge of me!

ETA: JK :D. If was going to live in an 80s sitcom, Silver Spoons seems like a lot more fun.

Scumpup 05-12-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Perfume (Post 20202544)
In the 1998 movie Pleasantville, Reese Witherspoon's character decides at the end to stay in Pleasantville, saying she'd have a better life in Fifties America than she would in the 1990s real world. She even mentions her grades in the real world means she has no chance of university, unlike the Pleasantville Fifties America.

Depends on the sitcom and whether I am a lead character.

Procrustus 05-12-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Perfume (Post 20202544)

Not Hogan's Heros, that's for sure.

Bill Door 05-12-2017 12:03 PM

Petticoat Junction, maybe.

ThelmaLou 05-12-2017 12:04 PM

I did live in that world. Suburbs, stay-at-home-mom, walked to school, restricted to one hour of TV every day, ate dinner every evening in the dining room with my parents, my mother made breakfast for me every day through college graduation. There are some things about it I would gladly go back to.

No, life was not great for everyone, I realize that. Just answering the question.

jtur88 05-12-2017 12:06 PM

I did live in one. I was a little older than Beaver, graduating high school in 1956.

I wouldn't have wanted it to be any other way.

Darren Garrison 05-12-2017 12:20 PM

Since many old sitcoms gave an idealized, clean, peaceful, unrealistic view of the world, I'm sure that many of them would be a better place to live. (If forced to live in one, I'd probably go with Andy Griffith.)

Scumpup 05-12-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Garrison (Post 20202621)
Since many old sitcoms gave an idealized, clean, peaceful, unrealistic view of the world, I'm sure that many of them would be a better place to live. (If forced to live in one, I'd probably go with Andy Griffith.)

Good choice. Things aren't too zany there. You can drive up to Raleigh or Mt. Pilot when you want a little excitement.

BobLibDem 05-12-2017 12:38 PM

I could go for the surreal world of Hooterville in Green Acres.

peedin 05-12-2017 12:47 PM

I'd go for Leave It To Beaver because Larry Mondello would be a fun goofy friend.

Riemann 05-12-2017 12:52 PM

Time-traveling with Blackadder could be interesting, or the Red Dwarf spaceship.

Working in an office in Slough or Scranton, not so much.

Robot Arm 05-12-2017 01:01 PM

Depending on what you mean by classic era...

M*A*S*H, no.
Beverly Hillbillies, no.
Gilligan's Island,... no.
I Dream of Jeannie...

Okay, we could be on to something, here.

Dinsdale 05-12-2017 01:14 PM

I've often thought I'd love to live in Mayberry. Or New Rochelle in the early 60s.

My 3 Sons, Beaver, Brady Bunch - they had pretty nice lives IMO.

Guess all would be less appealing if I weren't a white male...

digs 05-12-2017 02:05 PM

I, too, grew up in Sitcomville™. Imagine Dennis the Menace being raised by a dad with Archie Bunker's politics (but Dick Van Dyke's humor), and a June Cleaver mom.

It was so comfy, I had to force myself to move out and into PrimeTimeville™ instead. Ended up in a family more like Malcolm in the Middle (or Roseanne), working at St. Elsewhere with the cast of Scrubs, and had kids who are more like Freaks and Geeks.

Gatopescado 05-12-2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peedin (Post 20202716)
I'd go for Leave It To Beaver because Larry Mondello would be a fun goofy friend.

Just imagine gettin' all up in that June Cleaver!

DCnDC 05-12-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinsdale (Post 20202811)
I've often thought I'd love to live in Mayberry. Or New Rochelle in the early 60s.

My 3 Sons, Beaver, Brady Bunch - they had pretty nice lives IMO.

But where are you going to shit?

kunilou 05-12-2017 04:42 PM

I think Rob and Laura Petrie would be great as neighbors. Ditto Bob and Emily Hartley. On the other hand I couldn't possibly keep up with the Huxtables.

ftg 05-12-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robot Arm (Post 20202765)
I Dream of Jeannie...

Okay, we could be on to something, here.

My first thought. This is a world with freakin' genies and astronauts.

panache45 05-12-2017 05:21 PM

I grew up in one of those worlds. But bear in mind that behind the picket fences and perfect lawns, life was not like it appeared on tv. There were things in my childhood that I'd never want to return to. In some respects, the American Dream was a nightmare.

terentii 05-12-2017 05:21 PM

McKeever and the Colonel. I always wanted to go to military school when I was a kid.

Prof. Pepperwinkle 05-12-2017 05:36 PM

Oh, well, move the Pepperwinkles right next door to The Addams Family. We'll be fine.

Ukulele Ike 05-12-2017 08:13 PM

I wouldn't mind being the master of Julie Newmar in My Living Doll. As long as she had all (cough) working parts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Living_Doll

installLSC 05-12-2017 08:54 PM

Gidget. You're surrounded by beautiful girls, and you don't do much of anything except hang out at the beach and soda shop. Yeah they technically go to school but nobody seems to take their studies seriously or even worry about a career path. Plus dad's well off with a fancy house close to the ocean.

GuanoLad 05-12-2017 09:36 PM

Bewitched would be good. I'd be no Darren-stick-in-the-mud, witchcraft should be used as a tool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Door (Post 20202567)
Petticoat Junction, maybe.

Now you're talking! Hot diggity!

blondebear 05-12-2017 10:12 PM

I'd love to live in the TV world of The Monkees.

ftg 05-13-2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondebear (Post 20203880)
I'd love to live in the TV world of The Monkees.

But all the fast forward parts would be very, very tiring.

Bricker 05-13-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuanoLad (Post 20203823)
Bewitched would be good. I'd be no Darren-stick-in-the-mud, witchcraft should be used as a tool!

It all depends on who you are. You're picturing being married to Sam.

What if you were married to Gladys Kravitz?

GuanoLad 05-13-2017 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bricker (Post 20204274)

Abner was a world-weary realist. I can relate to that.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor 05-13-2017 08:44 AM

I'd love Rob & Laura Petrie for neighbors.

What Exit? 05-13-2017 09:05 AM

Life was pretty easy and simple in those sitcoms, I would want to avoid Get Smart and the Honeymooners though. First means I would be living in a dangerous world where all but the main characters were subject to death and torture. The second, as it was a crappiest living standard of all the DomComs.

Ghost and Mrs. Muir seemed like a nice place to live, the little town Gull Cottage was near.

Nanny and the Professor was a University Campus and town.

I Dream of Jeannie would probably mean I was working for NASA! That would be a win.

New Rochelle of the Dick Van Dyke show seemed boring, but working in TV with Rob Petry and crew might be fun, then again, the boss would be tough.

Beaver, My 3 Sons, Flying Nun, Andy Griffith Show, Green Acres, and the other rurals all seem unappealing too me though Beverly Hillbillies would probably mean I was a neighbor and thus well off and only had to put up with eccentric but fun neighbors as long as I don't get on the wrong side of Granny.

For the 70s, far less seem appealing, Taxi, Barney Miller, All in the Family, Good Times, etc. seem not so great. I suppose the Jeffersons would mean I had a job that could support living in a very expensive NYC apartment.

DesertDog 05-13-2017 09:23 AM

Some years ago, Analog had a novella (title and author unfortunately forgotten) where a woman and a man had to time-travel back to 1965 and Save the World by preventing something from happening. Rather than physically going back, though, it was their adult minds that were sent back to temporarily hijack their younger selves (15 for the woman, 14 for the guy). One of the big difficulties in carrying out the mission was how restricted a high-school girl was, especially then. The guy had a little more freedom but more difficulty getting the couple hundred miles to where she was, to say nothing of disappearing for a couple days.

She commented that the good old days aren't all that great not viewed through rose-colored glasses.

Bricker 05-13-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertDog (Post 20204444)
Some years ago, Analog had a novella (title and author unfortunately forgotten) where a woman and a man had to time-travel back to 1965 and Save the World by preventing something from happening. Rather than physically going back, though, it was their adult minds that were sent back to temporarily hijack their younger selves (15 for the woman, 14 for the guy). One of the big difficulties in carrying out the mission was how restricted a high-school girl was, especially then. The guy had a little more freedom but more difficulty getting the couple hundred miles to where she was, to say nothing of disappearing for a couple days.

She commented that the good old days aren't all that great not viewed through rose-colored glasses.

Oh, that sounds like an awesome premise.

Anyone else happen to recall this title? I want to find it.

digs 05-13-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bricker (Post 20204581)
Oh, that sounds like an awesome premise.

Anyone else happen to recall this title? I want to find it.

Me, too -- no luck so far...

Princess Perfume 05-13-2017 05:13 PM

the question of "would you like to experience the magic of being a child again?" came up elsewhere and one woman pointed it that it would s*ck for her because she would be a little girl in 1960s Ontario when even in the coldest weather they couldn't wear trousers to school, only dresses.

Skywatcher 05-13-2017 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinsdale (Post 20202811)
I've often thought I'd love to live in Mayberry.

I pretty much did. My first 11 years were spent in a small (official population: 200) farming community 50 miles (as the crow flies) south of Chicago. Post office, volunteer fire department, lumber company, barber, gas station, grocer, diner, limestone quarry turned swimming hole*. No stop lights and no minorities other than one Puerto Rican family.

*Only the post office and fire department are still open. There is a convenience store in the old lumber company building; I doubt it has anything to do with the original grocers.

Derleth 05-13-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywatcher (Post 20205424)
No stop lights and no minorities

... just as primitive as can be.

Being one of the guest stars in Gilligan's Island would be fun. You know, all those people who could come and go freely and treat the island like a resort destination without the hassle of a resort? Just spend a little while in a tropical paradise, maybe have a romantic subplot with Ginger, and leave.

For a longer stint, I'd want to be in one of the more upscale 1980s or 1990s sitcoms, like The Cosby Show. Absolutely none of the Huxtables' neighbors were hurting.

Robot Arm 05-13-2017 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bricker (Post 20204274)
It all depends on who you are. You're picturing being married to Sam.

Yeah, that's kind of a problem with all of them.

And even if you are the star, it's still not all it's cracked up to be. Sure, genies and astronauts sounds good, but then it turns out that a NASA doctor has nothing better to do than bring his wife to your house to snoop around and the genie gets jealous and possessive and sends you to the Napoleonic Era whenever she feels like it.

pmwgreen 05-14-2017 12:23 AM

Nobody has mention Ozzie and Harriet? Where Ozzie got to stay home and raise the kids? Of course I'd be awful as a bandleader, so no good for me. Or I love Lucy I guess.

Johanna 05-14-2017 12:56 AM

Think I'll cast in my lot with H.R. Pufnstuf. To those up there who said the Monkees and the Addams Family, good call; yes to those too. That about exhausts it for potential living space in the storied Vast Wasteland.

Driver8 05-14-2017 01:27 AM

A classic era sitcom world? You mean where they don't have any toilets? That'd get uncomfortable after a while.

JackieLikesVariety 05-14-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driver8 (Post 20205847)
A classic era sitcom world? You mean where they don't have any toilets? That'd get uncomfortable after a while.

that isn't all they don't have - sex, drugs, NPR

it's not worth it :p

Flyer 05-14-2017 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What Exit? (Post 20204403)
For the 70s, far less seem appealing, Taxi, Barney Miller, All in the Family, Good Times, etc. seem not so great. I suppose the Jeffersons would mean I had a job that could support living in a very expensive NYC apartment.

For All in the Family, it would depend a lot on your politics. I personally would get along with Archie much better than Meathead did (on most things) and vice-versa.

And I would love to be married to Gloria. I would treat her better than Meathead did.

Cayuga 05-16-2017 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derleth (Post 20205465)
Just spend a little while in a tropical paradise, maybe have a romantic subplot with Ginger, and leave.

You spelled "Mary Ann" wrong.

What Exit? 05-16-2017 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayuga (Post 20210143)
You spelled "Mary Ann" wrong.

Well, while Mary Ann was the prettier, nicer and cuter one, she was also chaste and loyal to her beau back home. Ginger was the one that might have romantic subplot with the guest of the week.

Robot Arm 05-16-2017 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What Exit? (Post 20210145)
Well, while Mary Ann was the prettier, nicer and cuter one, she was also chaste and loyal to her beau back home. Ginger was the one that might have romantic subplot with the guest of the week.

Don't do it. She's just using you to get a teeny, weenie, weensy, weenie, nine-foot-long piece of rope.

aceplace57 05-16-2017 11:58 AM

Mayberry would be my choice. Very warm and pleasant town.

2nd choice is Leave it to Beaver's town Mayfield.

3rd F Troop, I wouldn't mind the Old West the way they depicted it. :D

Bryan Ekers 05-16-2017 12:16 PM

Could I live in Dog River (Corner Gas)? I like sarcastic interchanges and they never seem to experience anything like a realistic Saskatchewan winter.

Infovore 05-16-2017 01:29 PM

I'd go for Bewitched if I could be one of the witches. My mom was basically Endora (seriously, I'm pretty sure she used Endora as a role model) so I'd get along great.

Nanny and the Professor might be fun too.

terentii 05-16-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmwgreen (Post 20205822)
Nobody has mention Ozzie and Harriet? Where Ozzie got to stay home and raise the kids? Of course I'd be awful as a bandleader, so no good for me. Or I love Lucy I guess.

Ozzie was a bandleader?!? I thought they never even told him what he did for a living! :eek:

Ricky Ricardo, on the other hand, was a bandleader, so you might not fit in with Lucy, either. :dubious: