Straight Dope Message Board

Straight Dope Message Board (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php)
-   Cafe Society (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Matzo meal wienerschnitzel -- yes or no? (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=826148)

Ukulele Ike 05-13-2017 07:45 PM

Matzo meal wienerschnitzel -- yes or no?

Ever used matzo meal to bread thin cutlets -- veal, chicken, turkey, or pork -- for schnitzel? Or Scallopine Milanese, if you want to be all Italian about it?

You know the routine: Shake cutlets in seasoned flour, dip in an egg wash, dredge in crumbs, then saute in a couple tablespoons of butter mixed with olive oil.

I've been using Japanese panko crumbs for years, because they're trendy, but they don't really adhere to the meat as well as they should.

I made a big pot of matzo ball soup today, so I have plenty of extra matzo meal to go through in the next few weeks.

Cub Mistress 05-13-2017 08:29 PM

My mother used to bread her schnitzels with crushed saltines, then fried them in old fashioned margarine.

Ukulele Ike 05-13-2017 08:48 PM

Did this taste good? Or was it some sort of hideous Middle Tennessee child punishment?

Elendil's Heir 05-13-2017 10:30 PM

Matzo is suitable only as a packing or insulation material. It is unfit for human consumption in any form whatsoever.

pulykamell 05-13-2017 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir (Post 20205734)
Matzo is suitable only as a packing or insulation material. It is unfit for human consumption in any form whatsoever.

Not even matzoh ball soup? I'm not even Jewish and I love that shit.

Cub Mistress 05-14-2017 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike (Post 20205599)
Did this taste good? Or was it some sort of hideous Middle Tennessee child punishment?

They were AWESOME!!!! The margarine gave it a butter flavor without burning like butter. I don't think she knew about using oil to raise the smoking point.

Weisshund 05-14-2017 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir (Post 20205734)

Oy Vey!

samclem 05-14-2017 08:14 PM

Made veal scallopini two days ago. Only had Panko bread crumbs(because they're trendy). Big mistake. They soaked up all the olive oil/butter. First one was beautiful golden brown. Went downhill from there.

Matzo doesn't sound much better.

Ukulele Ike 05-14-2017 09:06 PM

Matzo is much finer in texture than panko, even finer than standard (leavened) bread crumbs. That's why I was thinking it would create a better crust.

August West 05-15-2017 09:36 AM

I have not used matzo for schnitzel, but am following this thread with great interest.

Jagerschnitzel is my favorite food ever and I'm always looking for ways to improve it.

TriPolar 05-15-2017 09:43 AM

I use matzoh meal for breading often. Good way to get a light coating with some texture. Matzoh by itself is just a big cracker but matzoh balls, matzoh meal latkes, and matzoh brei are just some of the delicious dishes it can be used for.

pulykamell 05-15-2017 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cub Mistress (Post 20205566)
My mother used to bread her schnitzels with crushed saltines, then fried them in old fashioned margarine.

I learned the crushed saltines trick from someone here at the Dope years ago and it does, indeed, produce quite nice schnitzel. Better than standard bread crumbs, in my opinion. I would expect matzoh would work well but, alas, I have not tried it. I say the OP experiments for us and reports back with the results!

zoid 05-15-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samclem (Post 20207049)
Made veal scallopini two days ago. Only had Panko bread crumbs(because they're trendy). Big mistake. They soaked up all the olive oil/butter. First one was beautiful golden brown. Went downhill from there.

Matzo doesn't sound much better.

Weird. I've used panko on many occasions and it works wonderfully.
Tonkatsu is one of my favorites.

pulykamell 05-15-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoid (Post 20207961)
Weird. I've used panko on many occasions and it works wonderfully.
Tonkatsu is one of my favorites.

Indeed. Panko (and tonkatsu, especially in tonkatsu curry) is wonderful stuff, especially if you like it crunchy.

Ukulele Ike 05-15-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulykamell (Post 20208162)
Indeed. Panko (and tonkatsu, especially in tonkatsu curry) is wonderful stuff, especially if you like it crunchy.

Japanese Tonkatsu is excellent, but is generally deep-fried, which I never do (the Ukulele Lady would never let me live it down). I'm sure that's why it's so lovely and crunchy.

I WILL experiment and report back, possibly tomorrow, as we're having yet another light vegetarian meal tonight and UL suggested I prepare some sort of meat as a side dish so I don't go to bed ravenous.

pulykamell 05-15-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike (Post 20208240)
Japanese Tonkatsu is excellent, but is generally deep-fried, which I never do (the Ukulele Lady would never let me live it down). I'm sure that's why it's so lovely and crunchy.

Tonkatsu is fine pan fried. (At least I don't deep fry it when making it for myself. The only food I really will get that much oil out for is chicken wings.) What's nice about panko is if you're avoiding frying at all, it can make a reasonably crunchy coating even for baked items. I usually toast the panko first when doing it this way. It's not anywhere near the same as properly frying something, but it works out much better than just baking a normally breadcrumb crusted piece of meat.

Johnny Bravo 05-15-2017 01:54 PM

A matzoh meal dredge is going to be a lot more delicate than regular breadcrumbs. Since you're not deep frying, just try to be very careful when you flip or you're going to lose your crust.

Ukulele Ike 05-15-2017 05:27 PM

I'm always really careful when I turn my pan fried chicken -- which only gets a double-dipping in seasoned flour -- and I usually manage to lose part of the crust on at least one piece. I should probably cook it at a lower heat. Nobody complains though...

kayT 05-29-2017 10:55 AM

Hey! How did it work? (Thread spotting spotted this and the OP has apparently overdosed on schnitzel.)

Johnny L.A. 05-29-2017 11:30 AM

Why do I keep reading the title as 'Malto Meal'?

Czarcasm 05-29-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. (Post 20239512)
Why do I keep reading the title as 'Malto Meal'?

Same here, and I really wish I had read the thread before testing the recipe.