View Single Post
Old 02-18-2001, 08:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RoboDude
Quote:

I have yet to see the slightest trace of evidence that the death penalty has any deterrent effect whatsoever.
Why would it be a deterrent? It's hardly used. How many admitted murderers are in jail? How many on death row? It's very disproportionate. The ones who are actually on death row have been there for MANY years. It means nothing. Plus, who really gets it? The psychotic ones that don't really care. The gang member that kills a little boy in crossfire doesn't get death, just a long sentence where his life is better in jail than on the street. Make the death penalty mean something, and make it the most gruesome and painful ordeal possible, and it will be a deterrent. Being broken on the wheel is something to think about compared to lethal injection. Only when we take away prisoner rights, will punishment be a deterrent.

At the very worst, who cares if anyone is deterred? My feeling is this: If anyone wants Timmy to not be put to death, that they alone be taxed for his support for the next umpteen years. Not me.