View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 AM

I have seen this type of construction in a book published around 1890-1910, where it is repeated several times throughout - its a short historical guide book.

'The Romance of Old Leeds' A Mattison & W Meakin.

Quote:
The river was not considered by the old literary wanderers unworthy to rank with Yorkshire streams which are now more famous than the Aire........

> snip<

It was no uncommon occurrance, for instance, for the Mayor, in his corporate capacity, to await the arrival of a cargo of wheat and purchase it in order to prevent any cornering operations.

>snip<

The river was solidly frozen for a month, and during the whole of that time a rollicking old English fair was carried on, show booths were erected, and ox roasting on the ice formed no unimportant part of the carnival
This book quotes heavily from early 18thC writings of various types, but only the second quotation from the book is actually of this period and the other two seem o have been written in a way to partly mimic the style - or at least give the whole book a coherence without jarring the reader from one period of written language to another.

In other words its a late 19thC idea of what early 18thC writings were like but it is not done anything like as well as the earlier writings, it is, effectively, an attempt at rustication.

I wonder if the rest of the book is written in in manner. I have looked it up on Wiki, and a quote from it suggests this is the case.

One could imagine the reasons behind this manner of writing, it would take the story out of modern speech patterns and reinforce this as a differant time.