View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
In this case, since you have your current home-theater+POD rig, choosing the option that is more tube-alicious makes sense, because you have the equivalent of a digital rig already. My hypothesis is that the Traynor is either not really a tube amp (i.e., the stick a tube in the circuit but only as window dressing on a digital design) or it is not as well made. Blues Jr's are just simple, rock-solid amps that deliver tubey goodness...
My friend, both amps are tube amps. However, both the BJr and the Traynor contain tubes and (a very small number of) transistors. Here is the service manual for the Blues junior; it has 3 12AX7s and 2 6BQ5/EL84s, but also a couple of op-amps. Here is the service manual for the Traynor; it has 3 12AX7s and 2 6BQ5/EL84s, also several transistors and ICs. Which is more tube-alicious? I can't say, I'm not an electrical engineer. I suppose if you really want to get old-school, having a printed circuit board is a problem and the design should be bread-board and wires with hand-soldered joints, but I think that is slicing hairs a bit more than necessary.

Anyway, both amps sound good and tubey (overlooking the Traynor's drive channel), they both seem very well built and solid (the Traynor feels like it could survive a drop down a flight of stairs). I just enjoy playing the BJr more. I think this may rest on the Blue's Junior NOS's speaker. I played some BJr's with the stock speaker in the store, and if I'd tested one vs the Traynor, I think I might have chosen the Traynor.

Any thoughts on why that Jensen vs the Celestion might sound better? Or just guitar speaker observations in general? I know next to nothing about that topic.