View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furt View Post
A heady player might sometimes know when to take the five yards (and I've seen it done), but it's unrealistic to expect a player forced to make a split-second decision not to revert to his coaching -- and really, you don't want them doing it anyway.
In the NFL, the coach could tell the QB via his helmet speaker to: "Take the penalty! NO time out!"

This is an interesting topic. Posters have offered examples of situations where it would be good or bad to take the penalty, but those seemed to be obvious situations on the margins. I'd love to see some numbers on the actual value of a TO in yards and maybe even a TO's value in downs.

Another reason this is interesting to me is because of the recent scientific analysis of the "go for it on 4th down instead of punt" situation. I guess it was maybe 3 or 4 years ago that some guy wrote a paper about the expected value of teams on 4th downs going for 1st down instead of punting or trying a FG in certain field positions.

Am I the only one who thinks he has noticed a greater frequency of NFL teams going for a 1st down on a 4th down play instead of punting (or FG try)???