View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 04:38 PM

Sit back and I'll tell you the tale

... though I'll be brief. It is really Tabart's story of his Nostradamus-like vision of the life of one Willy Gilligan. Gilligan, one day, ate the seeds of a strange-looking bush and besides giving him the ability to read minds it dimly projected his mind down through the ages and into the dreams of one Benjamin Tabart who wrote down the metaphorical Jack and the Beanstalk story.

Willy Gilligan was a bumbling, dimwitted, accident-prone man. Both Willy (diminuitive of William) and Jack (diminuitive of John) for all of the 19th Century and the first half of the 20th Century, were the most frequently given male names. Hence the confusion in Tabart's dream-like state and the use of Jack.

Gilligan, in the Navy, had saved the life of Jonas Grumby, who was a giant of a man in his eyes. Gilligan's greatest regret was taking the Skipper's prized treasure, the S.S. Minnow, away from him.

Jack's leaving home with the family cow and trading it for beans left his mother destitute. This reflected Gilligan's leaving home to join the Navy (viewed as the staple of the U.S. Navy, the navy bean). Gilligan wanted to climb the ranks in the Navy and be a giant of a man like his mentor. This was Jack's climb up the bean(stalk) to reach the giant. After his stint in the Navy he could have returned home, but his mother saw her final chance to keep her son (the cash cow who sent his paychecks home) fade as Gilligan was tempted too much by another life - on the S.S. Minnow. i.e. Baited, Jack sets sail (ventures off) to make his fortune.

But, Gilligan encounters a storm and throws an anchor overboard without a rope attached, just as Jack's mother (Mother Earth) yells at him for his poor choice in throwing away their cow and losing their lifeline. Gilligan ends up shipwrecked on an "uncharted" desert island (the giant's land) where the Skipper's greatest treasure, taken by Gilligan, lies. This is the cause of the Skipper greatest fall - captaining his own ship.