View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whc.03grady View Post

The assertions of quantum physics don't just sound weird. That's the understatement of the year. To be told that a thing can both be something and not be something, at the same time, well, that's a lot (a LOT) weirder than being told the Earth goes around the Sun and not vice versa.
Weirdness is all relative. You may not think the Earth going around the sun is weird, but not too long ago it was an absurd idea that humans weren't the center of the universe. Similarly, pilgrims would find it ludicrous to suggest that one day man would walk on the moon. And now you find it weird that a particle can be in two states at once, despite a mountain of evidence to support that it is true.

You really can't base an objection to scientific theory on what might be considered "weird" by some people.

That's not to say that you have to accept it as true, but do some additional research, understand QM a bit more. You'll find a lot of things that will blow your mind, the aforementioned double slit experiment is what really attracted me to the field (if only as a hobby). The overall point that you should take away from this discussion is that logical reasoning and classical physics don't always apply in the QM world.

ETA: Telemark seems to have beaten me to this point...

Last edited by Mgalindo13; 01-03-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: ETA: Telemark seems to have beaten me to this point...