View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Nah, there's a lot of stuff that people need/want and robots can't quite do besides Hollywood. Restauration, politics, religion, security, police, journalism, sex, science... just off the top of my head. Keeping the damn robots in check too, 'cause you know you can't trust them. Shifty. Scheming, dead eyesphotosensors. Don't like 'em.

Skill is its own form of currency. You maybe can cook a mean gumbo, but I sure can't. All I can make is a slightly antagonistic mush with fish in it.
I've underlined the stuff that I consider a subset of "entertaining people".

Not that it's a bad thing. Ideally technology should allow people to do more fun stuff and less boring, tedious, dangerous grunt work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866
This is why the spartan aesthetic of Star Trek makes perfect sense to me. Why would people who come from a society where any good you want can be materialized out of a magic box care about decorations or fine clothes or fancy silverware or fast cars? You want a diamond necklace just ask for one, and when you're done you throw it away. And the fact that you can have one anytime you want one means you won't ever want one.
I thought it had more to do with the fact that were, you know, on board a space ship.

Obviously, there would be less clutter in Star Trek since you only really needed to keep items around for aesthetic or sentimental value. Anything else can be replicated when you need them. Except for maybe replicator repair kits.

All the captains in ST did have decorations and whatnot in their private quarters.